Noted for their ‘strong connections to the business they work for’ the Newcastle-based practitioners at Mincoffs Solicitors LLP stand out for their specialist expertise which spans the video games and interactive media sector as well as the toy and hobby entertainment sector. The team also has a strong track record in film and video, as well as in publishing and broadcasting and it is regularly active for high-profile personalities with a significant media presence. Antony Hall leads the team, an active expert in the media and entertainment space, with a client base that includes board game manufacturers, video game studios and social media personalities.
Media and entertainment in North
Mincoffs Solicitors LLP
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong connections to the business they work for. Excellent level of detail and confidence.’
‘Understanding our sector and working with us on that level.’
Coatsink Software Limited
Steamforged Games Limited
Generator North East Limited
Goodboy Digital Ltd
Big Thursday Creative Limited
The TV Agency
- Advised Coatsink Software Limited on a licensing deal with Universal Studios LLC relating to the development and publication of a video game titled Jurassic World Aftermath on the Oculus platform. The deal involved complex licensing arrangements with multiple stakeholders, including Amblin Studios, and involved securing performing rights from members of the cast of the original film franchise.
- On behalf of Steamforged Games Limited, negotiated a merchandising licence agreement with Jagex (developer and publisher of video games including the flag ship online game RuneScape). The negotiation centred on ensuring the data protection position was accurately captured and ensuring that the licence agreements contain sufficient rights to enable the client to produce the intended game.
- Providing Generator with strategic legal support and advice and also supporting the organisation with funded legal interventions for emerging artists and other creative businesses. Since appointment, have advised a number of music artists on management and publishing deals and have advised Generator on a range of corporate governance issues.
The practice at Muckle LLP has particular strengths in advising sports clients, from Premier League footballers and football clubs to running associations with John Devine as the key contact. The team is also experienced in the music space, and when it comes to media coverage and reputational issues. George Festing, who leads the practice, is praised as a ‘great litigator’. He has acted for high profile media and entertainment clients, and his expertise includes press and reputation management, rights infringement, royalty claims and sponsorship.
Other key lawyers:
‘George Festing is a great litigator and wouldn’t hesitate to use him on music matters and other general commercial litigation.’
City Football Group
Hartlepool United Football Club
Caribbean Premier League (CPL)
Sanlam Private Investments (UK) Limited
- Defending to trial a high court data protection, confidence and privacy claim for an international investment business brought by a former employee.
- Advising Parkrun Global on a its brand and reputation protection measures, particularly in relation to its social media presence.
- Advising an influencer and celebrity on alleged IP infringement claims.