IT and telecoms in North
Ward Hadaway advises IT providers, developers and customers from both public and private sectors. Colin Hewitt leads the team that includes Judy Baker, who specialises in software contracts and IT projects work, as well as data protection. Also notable is Alex Shiel, who works with clients that supply or purchase IT systems, develop or license software, do business over the internet and work in the creative industries.
‘The team always provides excellent and timely advice’
‘They provide down to earth, cost effective pragmatic advice’
‘They deliver on commitments and are very responsive’
‘Alex Shiel is an extremely knowledgeable, pragmatic and highly experienced lawyer. A pleasure to work with’
Sage Global Services Ltd
A Share & Sons Ltd t/a ScS
Isagenix International LLC
Tyne & Wear Passenger Executive t/a Nexus
JumpDEMAND Inc. t/a ActiveDEMAND
Swiftpage International Ltd
Soundbitelearning UK Ltd
- Assisted KCOM plc with contracts covering the digitisation of its business processes.
- Advised Sage Global Services Ltd on the risks of using an open source licence for a third-party database product.
- Advised A Share & Sons Ltd (trading as ScS) in relation to the roll out of electronic proof of delivery software.
- Supported Isagenix UK’s GDPR project.
- Advising Nexus on its proposed delivery of virtual travel cards on mobile devices.
The Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP team is experienced in complex and high-value technology-related matters. Practice head Caroline Churchill specialises in complex technology transactions with a focus on the internet of things, data and cloud solutions. She regularly advises customers and suppliers and has a particular focus on cyber security.
‘Experience with the relevant service providers’
‘Caroline Churchill is practical, available, and responsive’
Phoenix Software Limited
Data Ventures Europe BV
Noble Energy, Inc.
- Assisting Phoenix Software with updating and developing its suite of business-critical customer contracts.
- Assisted Data Ventures Europe BV, a Dutch vendor headquartered in the US, with a strategically important agreement for the licensing and maintenance of its data analytics tool for use by a leading fuel supplier in its petrol station convenience stores across the UK.
- Advising, negotiating and drafting an HR and payroll outsourcing agreement for a US petroleum and natural gas exploration and production company in its migration from one supplier to another.
Mincoffs Solicitors LLP
The ‘stand out’ Mincoffs Solicitors LLP acts for high-profile technology companies. The firm strengthened its offering by acquiring niche technology practice Particular Legal. The ‘exceptional’ Antony Hall leads the team and is ‘available and responsive to clients.’ He can call on the expertise of IT specialist David Cox, who joined in 2018 from facilities management company Carillion and is ‘able to apply his knowledge of the sector to legal matters’. Also notable is Matthew Rippon, founder of Particular Legal, who joined the team as a consultant.
‘Mincoffs commercially and strategically they have great insights that allows for effective negotiations’
‘The individuals within the team have an in-depth understanding of the technology sector and the specific challenges it can face from a business and legal perspective’
‘They give a valuable service to technology start-ups and entrepreneurial new entrants’
‘David Cox had sound advice and in depth knowledge of IP law’
‘Antony Hall is a partner in the firm and a technology specialist. He has an extensive knowledge of technology contracts and gives an invaluable service to clients in the sector’
‘David Cox is unusual in that he comes from a technology background having previously worked in the IT sector before joining the legal practice. He therefore knows how the industry operates and the issues it can face from a business point of view’
IT Professional Services Limited (ITPS)
Perfect Image Limited
Unified Software Limited
Home Group Limited
Intelligence Fusion Limited
Komodo Digital Limited
Steamforged Games Limited
- Implementation of the General Data Protection Regulations and numerous contract negotiations for IT Professional Services Limited.
- Advising Taopix Limited on a software collaboration with a Singapore-based entity.
- Supporting Perfect Image Limited on contractual negotiations.
- Commercialisation of a new product offering for Unified Software Limited.
- Contract negotiations for AMPLYFI Ltd.
Muckle LLP specialises in non-contentious commercial arrangements as well as contractual structures and documentation for technology procurements. Practice head Alex Craig is particularly experienced in IT and trade mark work. His team includes George Festing, who has a contentious IT and IP background, and associate Jill Dovey, who has in-house technology and data experience.
Fairstone Group Limited
Intelligent Services Group
LDC Private Equity
Pivotal Networks Limited and Specialist IT Services Group Limited
Newcastle United Foundation
XQ Digital Resilience Limited
Mercia Fund Managers
Transforming Training with Technology Limited
- Advised Fairstone Group Limited in relation to IT strategy including logistical issues that arise from acquisitions.
- Advising LDC Private Equity on secondary buyout of Synova Capital in Mandata.
- Advises Pivotal Networks Limited and Specialist IT Services Group Limited in relation to a range of issues relative to the company’s provision of infrastructure, telephone and virtualisation consultancy and services including in relation to GDPR.
- Advising Troo Limited, a tech start-up in the energy buying market, on all legal matters since incorporation.
- Advising XQ Digital Resilience Limited, a tech company operating in the cyber security sector, on a wide range of legal issues.
Weightmans advises technology companies and larger corporates on technology projects, as well as raising finance for development and growth. The practice also acts for venture capitalists and accelerator programmes which are focused on technology businesses. Corporate transactions specialist Duncan Reid leads the team that includes Paul Wigham, who is known for supporting fast-growing technology businesses on important strategic transactions, including commercial agreements, partnerships and investments.
Other key lawyers:
Northumbrian Water Group
I.T. Professional Services Limited
Accelerated Digital Ventures
Maven Capital Partners
Hedgehog Lab Limited
Global Bridge Limited
Atlas Cloud Limited
Orchid Software Limited
Technically Compatible Limited
Screenreach Interactive Limited
Redu Group Limited
Quantum DX Group Limited
Ascent Digital Media
- Instructed by Northstar Ventures Limited (NVL) to undertake legal due diligence, and prepare the investment paperwork documenting the terms of NVL’s investments, such as investment agreements, convertible loan agreements and articles of association.
- Advising Accelerated Digital Ventures and BGF Ventures on their investment in CareSourcer Limited.
- Acted for leading technology business SaleCycle Limited (an online shopping cart recovery business) to facilitate an investment of £11.5m from BGF.
- Advising Orchid Software Limited in relation to an investment by funds managed by Maven Capital Partners UK LLP and Northstar Ventures Limited.
- Acted for Altitude Angel Limited to facilitate an investment of £3.4m from Seraphim Space, ADV and Frequentis AG.