IT and telecoms in North
Ward Hadaway advises clients on a wide variety of IT matters, and aims to provide a technical as well as a legal perspective. Its dealings with both public and private sector customers means the team has particular understanding of the commercial issues on both sides. Along with practice head Colin Hewitt, the team also includes data protection expert Judy Baker and Alex Shiel, who has extensive experience of dealing with large-scale IT procurement and outsourcing projects. In addition to its strong regional client base, the firm also works with IT companies in continental Europe and the US.
‘Judy Baker is a data protection specialist.‘
‘Always available to give advice and that advice is delivered in a clear and consistent language that can be understood.‘
‘Judy Baker was particularly helpful and informative over the length of the project and we managed to deliver the required result within deadline.‘
Sage Global Services Ltd
A Share & Sons Ltd t/a ScS
Isagenix International LLC
One on One Sherpa LLC
Bannatyne Fitness Ltd
Technology Services Ltd t/a TSG
Communisis UK Ltd
Performance Horizon Group t/a Partnerize
CISV International Ltd
True Potential Group Ltd
North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
City Electrical Factors Ltd
- Reviewed licence terms and outlined considerations around different open source licensing models for Sage Global Services.
- Assisted City Electrical Factors with its move to online sales, including the preparation of a set of consolidated terms covering trade customers and consumers.
- Advised the NHS Business Services Authority on the preparation, negotiation and completion of a major support and maintenance contract relating to one of its national payment systems.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's team works with an enviable list of local and national clients, with a particular focus on the financial services, manufacturing, transport, retail, and public sectors. Particular areas of expertise for 'excellent' practice head Caroline Churchill include cybersecurity, data and cloud solutions, and the Internet of Things. As well as assisting with complex technology transactions, the firm also advises on customer supply contracts.
‘Caroline Churchill has been excellent. The work we have asked her to do is new to us, so she has had to help me work through all the possible scenarios to ensure we cover everything we need to consider.‘
‘Caroline Churchill is very thoughtful and will often contemplate things we have discussed and come back to me with further suggestions or concerns we should consider.‘
Phoenix Software Limited
Home Leisure Direct Ltd
- Advising Phoenix Software on updating and developing its suite of customer contracts.
- Assisting a leading UK amusement machine supplier with its customer supply contracts for the provision of a contactless device for obtaining electronic payments.
Mincoffs Solicitors LLP
Mincoffs Solicitors LLP's team regularly advises on software-related matters, including licensing, exploitation, development and distribution. For its fintech and artificial intelligence clients, the firm provides advice on specific commercial and regulatory issues. Tech clients also turn to the firm for advice on e-commerce and procurement matters. Practice head Antony Hall is especially recognised for his expertise in assisting clients with the legal aspects of running cloud-based services. Also recommended are David Cox, who offers clients expertise gained from his previous career in the IT industry, and MJ Rippon.
‘The team have an in-depth knowledge of the tech sector and apply that knowledge to give first-class advice on contractual matters and business law.‘
‘Antony Hall, who heads up the department, is very knowledgeable and approachable, and gives excellent advice on tech service level agreements and contracts.‘
‘David Cox, who previously worked in the technology sector, brings additional knowledge from an operational point of view as well as advising on legal matters.‘
‘Their expertise in software licensing and IP and their personable no-nonsense attitude make them the ideal modern practice to help you grow your business.‘
‘David Cox’s experience of having worked in the IT industry is easily apparent in his work, and this, combined with with his willingness to field queries at all hours, is an excellent resource for any business.‘
Bede Gaming Limited
IT Professional Services Limited
Perfect Image Limited
Home Group Limited
Nebula Labs Limited
Coatsink Software Limited
Realsafe Technologies Limited
Goodboy Digital Limited
- Assisting Ampyfi with various funding rounds and business-to-business software licensing deals.
- Assisting IT Professional Services with drafting and negotiating complex maintenance and support agreements with, among others, a retail client and an energy utility company.
- Advised Nebula Labs on a technology project with a major provider of public transportation.
Muckle LLP fields a team of specialists with expertise in commercialising technology, preparing contractual documentation suites for technology and IT consultancy providers, and advising on corporate structuring for tech businesses. Practice head Alex Craig offers 'a breadth of knowledge', and the team assists numerous technology businesses with corporate M&A transactions and investments, as well as advising on issues arising from mobile applications, open source, and cloud computing. For strategic advice on disputed IT arrangements, George Festing is the key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Their advice is always practical, personal and excellent value for money.‘
‘Alex Craig has a breadth of knowledge across IP, tech, data and contracting and is a great support, who is happy to discuss variations of approach to different matters.‘
Fairstone Group Limited
ISG Holdings Limited
Global Bridge Limited
Fumarii Technologies Ltd
Newcastle United Foundation
Guernsey Electricity Limited
Hays Travel Limited
Hadrian Healthcare Holdings Limited
- Assisted Global Bridge with the terms and conditions for its online platform, allowing the client to sign up educational establishments.
- Advised a large offshore legal practice operating internationally on the procurement and implementation of infrastructure as a service across its business.
- Defended a utility company against a claim regarding an alleged breach of a licensing agreement brought by a major US software corporation.
The team at Weightmans is known for supporting technology businesses across the full spectrum of their requirements, regularly assisting clients with the commercialisation of technology. As well as acting for developing technology companies and larger corporates, the practice is also instructed by many venture capitalists and accelerator programmes focused on the IT industry. On the contentious side, the team focuses on distressed IT implementation projects and related contract claims, and litigating data theft cases. The practice is jointly headed by Paul Wigham and Duncan Reid, both of who joined the firm as result of its takeover of Watson Burton LLP in late 2019.
‘The team has been very adaptable when tackling a range of issues. This can-do attitude has helped to get our deals across the line quickly and given us faith in delivering on the timescales our business requires.‘
‘I have been very satisfied with their ability to quote a price and remain on budget during the work, including making any allocations for setbacks/ delays.‘
‘When needed, they have also been able to manage their case load to ensure we are able to hit our timescales or, when this becomes a challenge, to clearly communicate an alternative that we can use to plan accordingly.‘
I.T. Professional Services Limited
Accelerated Digital Ventures
Maven Capital Partners
Hedgehog Lab Limited
Atlas Cloud Limited
Oak Intranet Limited
Screenreach Interactive Limited
Redu Group Limited
QuantuMDx Group Limited
- Advised Cracking Logistics, a global provider of digitised freight forwarding solutions, on a contract with Ceva Logistics.
- Advising Accelerated Digital Ventures on a number of investments in fast-growth technology companies including PushDR, Snap Travel, and Urban Massage.
- Advised Maven Capital Partners on an investment in Honcho Markets Limited, the world’s first reverse auction marketplace for consumers to purchase insurance for car, home, contents, travel or pets.