At DAC Beachcroft LLP, a major proportion of the work undertaken focuses on independent sector providers, with the client-base including a number of well-known names. The practice's involvement with NHS policy also makes the firm an adviser of choice for many innovators bringing technology and new models of care to the industry. Areas of particular expertise for joint practice heads Gill Weatherill and Guy Bredenkamp include advising acute and mental health providers on the rapidly changing legal and regulatory framework, and assisting with employment matters, respectively.
Health in North
DAC Beachcroft LLP
‘Very broad range of specialists and all, without exception, first class experts and great to work with.‘
‘The team’s strengths are skill, professionalism, responsiveness and being good people.‘
South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS FT
Northumbria Healthcare NHS FT
North of England Commissioning Support Unit
North Cumbria Integrated Care Trust
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS FT
North West Boroughs NHS FT
York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
City Hospitals Independent Enterprises Ltd
North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust
Central North West London NHS Foundation Trust
Cumbria Northumberland Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Tees Esk and Wear Valley NHS Foundation Trust
Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Northumberland Clinical Commissioning Group
The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
QE Facilities Ltd
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Provided governance advice to the Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust.
- Assisted BMI Healthcare with contractual reviews, defence of data breach claims, and ICO complaints.
Recent arrivals at associate level to the team at Hempsons have strengthened its offering advising on high-value employment law and commercial disputes, leasing matters and inquests. In addition to its expertise in corporate and procurement work, a key focus for head Crispin Pettifer, the practice frequently carries out healthcare litigation work, in which claimant costs are disputed and significant discounts achieved. Stephen Maratos is the key name to note for such contentious matters. Also recommended at the firm are Deborah Ramshaw and Alison Oliver, the latter of whom has particular experience in advising GP surgeries.
‘Very clear commitment to understanding the sector and where it is going, both practically and philosophically.‘
‘Alison Oliver is always very clear and responsive in her communication and extremely thorough in her work.‘
- Represented an NHS Foundation Trust during a clinical negligence claim.
- Advising on the procurement law, projects and construction considerations relating to the selection of a contractor to deliver a new emergency department at an NHS Trust’s site.
- Advising a Trust on the transfer of community health services to two other Trusts in three stages.
Acting for a growing number of NHS Trusts, both in the North and nationally, the team at Sintons LLP advises on a range of matters. Practice head Amanda Maskery has particular experience assisting with corporate and commercial issues, including M&A, procurement, and contracts. The practice also has a focus on advising clients from the dental and GP sectors. The team benefited from the arrival of David Summerhayes, formerly of DWF, and associates Sheila Ramshaw and Angela Carver, previously of Short Richardson & Forth and Samuel Phillips Law Firm, respectively.
‘Their in depth sector understanding and the quality of their advice is the best I have dealt with.‘
‘The partners are regular speakers at local and national healthcare events, a number of which they host locally. The people differentiate themselves by being at the forefront of change.‘
‘Amanda Maskery is at the top of her field in the GP and Dental sectors.‘
‘Each of the people I deal with is exceptionally helpful, approachable and responsive.‘
Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHSFT
Northumbria Healthcare NHSFT
Central Durham GP Providers
Deneside Medical Centre
South Hylton Surgery
Valens Medical Partnership
- Advising the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Trust on an alliance agreement in relation to the provision of urgent care services.
- Advising the Northumbria Healthcare Trust on collaboration and variation agreements.
- Assisting the Medway Trust with a range of issues including commercial contracts, claims handling, property, information governance, and data protection.
The large team at Ward Hadaway fields specialists in a wide range of areas, and assists healthcare organisations across the UK with the full range of advisory and contentious matters. Heading up the practice are Jeffrey Keeble, who is experienced in defending clinical negligence and personal injury cases on behalf of the NHS; Nicola Richardson, who led in the representation of the interests of an Acute Trust during a public inquiry; transactional specialist Melanie Pears; employment law expert Stuart Craig; and Saji Bratch, who is recommended particularly for property matters. Other key names to note at the practice are Robert Rushton and Liz Hackett .
Other key lawyers:
Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
Tees Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Bexley CCG
NHS North Cumbria CCG
County Durham and Darlington Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Greenwich CCG
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust
Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
South Tees CCG
Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Represented the Tees Esk & Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust at ten multi-agency inquests relating to the death of a serving prisoner.
- Represented NHS North Cumbria CCG as the applicant in Court of Protection proceedings regarding the proposed withdrawal of clinically assisted nutrition and hydration.
- Advised the North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust in relation to an Advance Decision to Refuse Treatment.