Clients feel they are ‘in safe hands’ at Clyde & Co, which defends a wide array of practitioners from solicitors, accountants and financial advisers to property agents and insurance brokers. The team employs its specialist insurance and professional indemnity know-how in complex matters, some of which touch on current issues such as Covid-related closures or GDPR protection. Leading figure Anthony Brown has over 25 years of experience, providing ‘sound advice that also takes into account commercial considerations.’ Senior associates David Meehan and Peter Tsimonos are key members of the team.
Professional negligence in North
Clyde & Co
‘Anthony Brown is very responsive. He leads a team who are a dependable source of experienced solicitors willing to put themselves out on behalf of their clients. David Meehan is a great asset to Clydes. On the ball and delivers result. Peter Tsimonos -is responsive and thorough.’
‘A small and close knit team doing high level work at very competitive rates. The team benefits from a high degree of partner engagement, excellent associates, and a collaborative culture.’
‘Anthony Brown is absolutely excellent, highly commercial and very good on overall strategy. David Meehan is a rising star who is wise beyond his years and handles work that would ordinarily be dealt with at partner level. An extremely capable lawyer. Peter Tsimonos is very good.’
‘This is a team that knows what they’re doing. Whenever I have anything that is particularly, complex (whether on the defence side or the policy coverage side), I know that I am in safe hands with Anthony Brown and his team. I take their technical ability as given, but I send them work because they also pay close attention to the smaller details which other firms often forget, e.g. compliance with SLAs (reporting deadlines etc).’
‘I have worked regularly with Anthony Brown. He is a details man; he gets on top of the detail very quickly and provides sound advice that also takes into account commercial considerations. I also send work to his team. Peter Tsimonos is very good at cutting through the nitty gritty to resolve matters quickly and cost-effectively.’
- Defending a sports governing body against a claim arising from a safeguarding disciplinary hearing and alleged breach of the GDPR achieving a strike out of the claim.
- Successfully defending a claim against a consultant in land development, acquisitions and sales relating to alleged negligence in respect of an option agreement for the development of agricultural land.
- Successfully defending a claim against an investment manager in respect of the allegedly negligent investment of funds awarded following a personal injury claim.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
With a client list featuring a wide range of high-profile and London market insurers, the practice at DAC Beachcroft LLP covers various specialisms from construction and planning-related claims to defending accountants in addition to policy wording expertise. Paul Davison leads the team; he has a broad practice that includes novel Covid business interruption cases. Up-and-comer Stephen McLellan focuses on construction and engineering disputes while legal director Gillian Burnett is experienced in claims brought against a range of professionals and also advises insurers on policy coverage issues.
Zurich Professional & Financial Lines
Markel (UK) Limited
Travelers Insurance Company
QBE European Operations FSM
Manchester Underwriting Management
Global Risk Partners
- Acting for MS Amlin in respect of business interruption claims arising from the Covid 19 pandemic, including the test case brought by the FCA , culminating the in Supreme Court judgement in January 2021, and numerous other substantial related disputes.
- Instructed by Tokio Marine HCC to act in multi-party TCC litigation (£8M+) defending an insured specialist sub-contractor on a claim concerning a significant infrastructure project.
- Instructed by Tokio Marine TCC in defence of a claim against an accountant in relation to the preparation of a will and his role as an executor of the estate (£2M+). A number of complex issues are involved, including capacity proprietary estoppel and conditional revocation.
Weightmans’ Newcastle-based practice handles an array of high-volume matters including complex multi-party claims as well as high-profile, sensitive issues. The team supports various professionals such as engineers, inspectors and contractors in addition to defending insurers in direct claims. Richard Palmer, who heads up the practice, is experienced in dispute resolution tactics and an accredited mediator. Key partner Anne-Marie Knight draws on over 30 years of experience in professional indemnity while principal associate Tom Thurlow contributes strengths in professional negligence construction disputes. Barrister Amy Nesbitt was promoted to the partnership in May 2021.
‘Deep understanding of our industry sector, great staff with a clear understanding of our objectives at a reasonable price.’
‘Experience, expertise, hardworking.’
‘Particularly strong in construction claims.’
‘Richard Palmer is very proactive and innovative in seeking resolution to our claims.’
‘Obvious choice for all manner of construction-related professional negligence matters. Particularly good knowledge and expertise when it comes to cladding issues and fire safety matters, as well as claims relating professionals working in the asbestos industry. The team do advise on a wide range of professionals (not just construction) and also provide policy coverage advice, but it is their expertise in all matters construction that sets them apart from their peers.’
‘When it comes to a complex claim that appears to have reached an impasse you can always rely on Richard Palmer to think outside of the box. Strategic advice is one of Richard’s key skills and that, together with his impressive negotiations skills, is what makes him stand out from his competitors. Anne-Marie Knight is very good procedurally and is a trusted pair of hands for litigated claims which require you to ‘get into the detail’.’
‘Whilst some firms dip in and out of professional negligence, Weightmans are true specialists, with members having acted in some of the most serious and high profile cases in recent years. Without exception, the solicitors which they have assembled are of the highest quality in terms of strong interpersonal skills, work ethic and most importantly excellent knowledge of the subject area. In addition, they also make good use of an online platform for managing large quantities of material. The firm is also very good at collaborating with counsel and experts, ensuring that everybody works as a team to achieve the bets possible result for their clients.’
Hiscox Underwriting Limited
Hamilton Underwriting Limited
Axis Speciality Europe (London Branch)
Star Stone Insurance SE
CNA Insurance Company Limited
- Advising numerous excess layer professional negligence insurers on the extent of coverage available to a national design and build contractor across multiple policy years on a number of multi-million pound projects.
- Acting for a leading corporate Approved Inspector, in a c. £40m, multi-party litigation which is now months away from trial. The project concerns a PFI hospital build with the attendant complexities, and at trial will require the court to rule on yet untested law on attribution.
- Acting for a large main contractor in a multi-layered dispute concerning the foundations of a printing press of a major national newspaper. As well as the usual complexities of such claims, there is the added complication of an insolvent contractor to pursue and a complex tower of syndicate insurers to pursue.