Addleshaw Goddard is recognised for its advertising and marketing practice, which acts for a large portfolio of major brands and corporate clients. The team has recently undertaken more work on the digital side of advertising and media buying, including content verification and click through metrics. Practice head James Whittaker advises on a range of issues, including agency agreements, sponsorships and advertising and market copy clearances. Jonathan Davey specialises in commercial contracts while associate Hayley Anderson works on advertising rules around green claims.
Media and entertainment in North West
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Davey; Hayley Anderson; Harriet Powell
‘The team has provided invaluable advice in relation to our media suppliers and contracts, as well as on a range of other consumer facing issues.’
‘James Whittaker has provided excellent advice on media and commercial issues – he always take a practical and commercial approach which is key!’
Egmont International Holding A/S, a Danish incorporated company
J. Carter Sporting Club Limited T/A Castore
Sumo Group Plc
Team17 Group Plc
Hankook Tire & Technology
Brabners LLP‘s all-encompassing media and entertainment team is recognised for its expertise in media related IP, defamation and privacy disputes. The practice represents several household clients, including high-profile sportspeople, sports clubs and emerging market clients. Helen Otty leads the practice, focusing on online defamation claims. Co-head Colin Bell is recognised for his work across contentious and non-contentious IP issues. Paul Lunt handles high-profile dispute resolution matters, including advising Coleen Rooney on the headline-making ‘Wagatha Christie’ case. Former co-head Phillip Steele departed the team in July 2021.
Helen Otty; Colin Bell
Other key lawyers:
Paul Lunt; Nick McAleenan
‘Colin Bell is a standout. After a family bereavement, Colin was very supportive and helped me complete a piece of work we had started and made sure we got it done by deadline.’
‘Nick McAleenan is knowledgeable and practical, good to work with.’
Nick McAleenan adds his wealth of experience to any claim in which he is involved.’
‘Nick McAleenan is extremely competent, a formidable strategist and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of media law.’
Lynn Cannell and LCA Jobs Limited
Ben and Deborah Stokes
Sale Rugby Club (Sale Sharks)
Dr Riccardo Frati
OA Corporate Limited
Open Outdoor Media Limited
Music Alchemy Limited
- Instructed by Coleen Rooney, television personality and wife of former England international footballer Wayne Rooney, in connection with libel proceedings issued against her by Rebekah Vardy, wife of former England international footballer Jamie Vardy.
- Instructed by Ben Stokes, England international cricketer, and his mother, Deborah Stokes in connection with their invasion of privacy claim against News Group Newspapers Limited (“The Sun”).
- Advised Music Alchemy Limited on the IP position relation to Art Works being commissioned by Viacom in relation to an event being hosted and organized by Music Alchemy for Viacom Limited.
JMW Solicitors LLP provides specialist media and reputation management advice to an array of clients, including reality TV stars, sportspeople, high net worth individuals and businesses. The team also offers expertise in data right claims and harassment actions. Rebecca Young advises clients on advertising and protecting and enforcing their intellectual property rights.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great media team with a variety of excellent work in this area.’
‘JMW are the top team in the North West for media claims, and have a very strong depth of talent particularly in relation to defamation, data protection and privacy claims.’
‘The go to firm in this area due to Rebecca Young – they offer a top end service with full client engagement by all members of the team such that the client really sees what they are paying for.’
‘Rebecca Young is the most impressive solicitor I have dealt with in my time at the Bar.’
‘Always make themselves available, especially in times of crisis and are at the top of their game.’
‘Very personal and unique service.’
The Blue Rooms (London) Limited
Various Claimants v Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority
The AgenC Group
The Money Carer Foundation
Smart Parking Ltd
Nadine Merabi Limited
Mr Obinna Ogbonna
Alpla UK Limited
- Acted for the Claimants in the anonymised matter of AAA (1) BBB (2) v CCC relating to a final injunction order that prevents a defendant making disclosures or publishing information.
- Provided media reputation management to global business Alpla in relation to an ongoing dispute.
- Represented Obi Ogbonna in claim vs The Sun newspaper.
Pannone Corporate LLP provides advice across both contentious and non-contentious media matters, encompasing advertising, reputation management, and sponsorship issues, as well as privacy and harassment claims. The practice is instructed by a diverse range of high-profile clients, including major clothing brands, retailers and well-known individuals. Amy Chandler heads the non-contentious team, handling brand licensing, sponsorship and publishing agreements. Melanie McGuirk leads the contentious side, specialising in brand protection and reputation management, comprising defamation, privacy and harassment claims. Sarah Bazaraa sits within the contentious team, handling a wide range of media related disputes, including voicemail interception litigation.
Amy Chandler; Melanie McGuirk
Other key lawyers:
‘Pannone are highly professional, committed and thorough. Very personable and highly experienced, they cleverly see around corners and help protect concepts, IP and business projects for the future. Good to have alongside any venture.’
‘I appreciate Amy Chandler’s smart, dedicated and deep understanding of complex IP projects and superb insights and advices.’
PPL PRS Limited
Boohoo.com UK Limited
AMS Neve Limited
Iceland Foods Limited
Pets at Home Limited
Carm Productions Limited
UP Global Sourcing UK Limited
Represent Clothing Limited
Travel Insurance Facilities plc
CXP Official Limited
Serotonin Digital Limited
- Advised Shenzhou Limited on an USD $8million investment into games studio and developer of virtual worlds, Dubit, to fund the world’s first live esports league in the metaverse, starting in Roblox.
- Advised Travel Insurance Facilities plc in connection with ongoing publications by The Times newspapers.
- Advised AMS Neve Limited, a world leader in the design and manufacture of sound consoles used in the film, music and sound recording industries, in connection with the enforcement of settlement terms following a longing running claim in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court.
Centrefield LLP’s boutique sports and media practice supports its clients across a range of issues, encompassing commercial rights exploitation, personal endorsements and broadcasting agreements. Given the pre-eminence of the firm’s sport related work, the practice has a particular specialism in offering media and entertainment advice for its sports-based clients. Practice head David Bentham focuses on contractual matters, comprising sponsorship, broadcasting and digital asset issues, and also provides advice to sporting and entertainment venues. Edward Canty retains specific expertise in reputation management and is recognised for his work in relation to phone hacking.
David Bentham; Edward Canty
‘Centrefield are a boutique firm who specialise in sport and media. As a publishing and content creation company, we were drawn to them due to their expertise in media. We often require advice on rather tight deadlines and the team always deliver.’
The Professional Footballers’ Association
The Rugby Players’ Association
FMS Global Media
Queens Park Rangers FC
- Advised the Super League on its international distribution and domestic free to air broadcasting arrangements.
- Advised Queens Park Rangers on its arrangement connected to the development and launch of a range of NFTs.
- Advised certain football clubs/individuals in connection with the production and exploitation of documentaries/docuseries with some of the household names in broadcasting and streaming services.
Irwin Mitchell’s media and entertainment team advises global broadcasters, publishers and artists on projects relating to the television, interactive media and communications law space. The practice is also active in thought leadership projects in the north west. Laura Harper heads the team, with considerable experience acting for television production companies as well as clients in the video games and music industries, respectively.
‘Highly responsive specially in urgent matters. Very professional, with high level of expertise in different areas of law related to marketing, advertising, branding, product liability.’
Saffron Cherry Productions
Grandpa Productions Limited
Louder Than Words Festival Limited
Project Rome Limited
Louise Newson Medical Writer Ltd
Inner City Music Limited
- Appointed by Saffron Cherry Productions Limited as TV production lawyers for Channel 5 Milkshake! and S4C’s “The World According to Grandpa” TV series.
- Advised on the high profile deal which saw games studio Firesprite Limited being acquired by Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Limited (SIEE).
- Provided all contractual, commercial and regulatory legal advice to Inner City Music to enable them to establish and deliver the national Passport Back to Our Roots project and gigs together with the Music Venue Trust. The project features bands including Elbow, The Pet Show Boys and Everything Everything.
Mills & Reeve LLP is recognised for its defamation, privacy and media dispute work, encompassing libel, slander, privacy, malicious falsehood and online harassment claims. The practice acts for an array of clients including celebrities, footballers, high profile public bodies, insurers and corporates. Practice head Rachael Somerset specialises in reputation management issues, largely implementing preventative strategies to mitigate reputational harm from specific media threats. Richard Dawson-Gerrard leads the commercial disputes team, focusing on crisis management. Associate Saha Dehsheykhi handles sports arbitration and reputation management matters.
Rachael Somerset; Richard Gerrard-Dawson
Other key lawyers:
Ben Reeves; Saha Dehsheykhi
‘Rachael Somerset is great to work with, understands client’s needs very well, and is calm and unflappable.’
‘Definitely one of the strongest media and entertainment practices outside of London.’
‘Rachael Somerset is the one to watch – she is exceptional.’
‘Rachael Somerset has excellent subject expertise and ability to engage across multiple levels.’
‘Excellent team of people, and excellent engagement within Manchester and the North West more widely.’
‘Rachael Somerset is exceptional. She is innovative in her approach and gives timely advice which is practical and effective.’
- Acted for one of the year’s leading and reported cases, on behalf of Ajayi and Others, and succeeded in their application to strike out a significant six figure malicious falsehood claim in the High Court.
- Advised international football stars James Milner and Kieran Trippier in relation to reputation management and media issues, including dealing with right of reply media enquiries and assisting with statements pre-publication reported by international media in print and online to millions.
- Advised new client the Martin James Foundation, which champions children’s rights across the world, in relation to reputational work.
Weightmans LLP is recognised for its work in relation to interactive video games and celebrity image licencing. The practice is also intructed by clients within the education, funding and pharmaceutical sectors. Practice head Sean Crotty handles a wide range of issues, including major video game development contracts, licensing matters, image rights and recording agreements. Managing partner John Schorah offers extensive experience in corporate transactional and commercial contract work, particularly within interactive video game industry. Principal associate Tom Trowhill, also manager of the national commercial team, splits his time between the London and Liverpool offices. Commercial specialist Victoria Robertson departed for Trowers & Hamlins LLP in April 2022.
Other key lawyers:
John Schorah; Tom Trowhill
Playground Games Limited
Side (UK) Limited
Liverpool Media Academy Ltd
Nomad Games Limited
The Open University
Novarama Technology SRL
AXM Venture Capital Limited
Secret Sorcery Limited
Sounding Sweet Limited
Motor Insurers’ Bureau
Sussex & Surrey Police
- Advised Side (UK) on a variety of voice talent and motion capture agreements with high profile actors in relation to a number of high quality titles (primarily AAA).
- Advised on key strategic arrangements for Liverpool Media Academy.
- Provided corporate/commercial advice, contract review and negotiations as well as governance and strategic support to Apadmi Limited. Advised on various commercial agreement in 2021, ranging from app development and maintenance agreements, licensing and professional services agreements to tender and framework agreements.
Fletcher Sports Law
Fletcher Sports Law has expanded its boutique sports law practice into the media and entertainment sphere. Alongside handling media issues for sports-based clients, the practice advises reality TV celebrities, influencers, and media agencies on commercial agreements, disputes and reputation management. Paul Fletcher heads the team and supports his sports-based clients on media matters. Associate Tom Grant has developed a niche client base, offering legal support to reality TV stars and social media and influencer agencies.
Other key lawyers:
‘Genuine sector experience and deep knowledge.’
‘Tom Grant has almost unrivalled experience of work for social media influencers and cutting-edge modern work on reality TV.’
Home Talent Group
Force 1 Management
All Star Entertainment