Addleshaw Goddard’s full service intellectual property team handles work across the practice area, including IP portfolio management, contentious and non-contentious IP. The department advises clients within the retail and consumer, financial services and energy sectors. Paul Bentham leads the team, handling a broad range of intellectual property matters whilst also heading up the firm’s brands and designs group. James Whittaker focuses on the acquisition and exploitation of intellectual property rights. Legal director Nadine Waters handles the full scope of non-contentious intellectual property issues, often in the context of corporate and finance transactions.
Intellectual property in North West
Other key lawyers:
James Whittaker; Nadine Waters; Andrew Bayley
‘Consistently the strongest non-contentious IP team in the North West – they act for a fantastic range of clients, from FTSE100’s to leading-edge inventors, government to top high street brands, high tech to manufacturing.’
‘Paul Bentham has experience in spades, he has brokered some of the most important and complex IP deals over the last 30 years. A genuine star, consistent and completely reliable to achieve the best client outcomes.’
‘An all round professional approach conducted in a timely manner – nothing seems too much trouble and everything is dealt with to the highest standard. ’
‘James Whittaker’s thoroughness and intellectual might have been outstanding. His calm and persistent approach has reaped dividends for us.’
The Co-operative Group Limited
PZ Cussons plc
Samworth Brothers Group
Associated British Foods plc
BooHoo Group Plc
- Managed the trade mark portfolios of a range of companies, including Harrrods, Kickers, Travelodge Hotels and many others.
- Supported the premium sportswear brand, Castore, on numerous matters this year, as it has sought to grow its brand through the entry into sponsorship and apparel supply agreements with an exciting mix of sports teams, governing bodies and athletes.
- Acted for Nichebox, owner of the luxury Clive Christian perfume brand, in an ongoing IP dispute with Clive Christian Furniture Limited (CCF), a former group company.
Clarke Willmott LLP advises a range of high-profile international clients across sectors on the protection, enforcement and exploitation of their intellectual property rights. The department is particularly recognised for its substantial trade mark filings practice and anti-counterfeiting expertise. Practice head Roy Crozier and Andrew Stone are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Roy Crozier is an excellent partner – down to earth, approachable and a pleasure to work with.’
‘The team has a business-minded approach to legal issues that sets it apart from others.’
‘Roy Crozier is among the best, ready to provide meaningful insight on complex matters.’
‘Roy Crozier is very knowledgeable and keen to support clients in any way he can. He is smart and a strategic thinker. With Roy, clients feel they are in safe hands.’
‘Roy Crozier is very smart and hands-on, great to work with him.’
Otter Products, LLC (“OtterBox) and owner of TreeFrog Developments, Inc. (“LifeProof”)
PUIG Group – owner of many internationally recognised brands (including Paco Rabanne/Nina Ricci/Carolina Herrera/Jean Paul Gaultier/Christian Louboutin)
Evergreen (various brands including Miracle-Gro)
- Acted for a US law firm with regard to the IP aspects of high-value corporate acquisitions for various of its clients.
- Acted for Trailers Concesionario S.L. with regard to a design right infringement action brought by PCO Group.
- Acted for PUIG Group (the owner of many internationally recognised brands, including Carolina Herrera, Nina Ricci, Jean Paul Gaultier, Paco Rabanne and Christian Louboutin) in relation to numerous seizures at ports, airports and hubs of entry into the UK where goods are detained by Border Force.
HGF Law, a specialist IP firm, acts for clients within the life sciences, education and retail sectors on soft and hard IP matters. The team is able to draw on teams of specialist patent and trade mark attorney colleagues for technical advice. Practice head Janet Knowles has particular expertise within the life sciences industry and in working with educational institutions and their spin-out companies. Legal director Michelle Davies is a transactional IP specialist. Antony Gold stepped down as partner in 2021 and is now a consultant for the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Anthony Gold; Michelle Davies
‘Janet Knowles is simply outstanding. She has been extremely responsive, helpful, highly knowledgeable and experienced in the sector that we operate.’
‘The team has a super blend of technical folk – scientists and engineers – all of whom have worked in industry prior to joining HGF. The legal team are worldly, commercial and savvy.’
‘Janet Knowles has years of experience.’
‘Michelle Davies has an in-depth understanding of our needs not only from a scientific perspective, but also in the context of our role. She always has a pragmatic “can do” approach.’
‘Janet Knowles is my main point of contact. I’d go nowhere else for licensing.’
‘We have worked with HGFLaw LLP for a number of years and have bench marked service, expertise and cost on a number of occasions and they come with an all-round high score.’
‘Michelle Davies is a solicitor with scientific background and in-house as well as private practice expertise. She provides excellent support to client companies across a range of IP and technology related matters.’
Gyroscope Therapeutics Limited
Novel Technologies Holdings Limited
Extruded Pharmaceuticals Limited
Aptus Clinical Limited
Daresbury Proteins Limited
Perfusion Biotechnology Limited
Rawwater Engineering Limited
University of Manchester Innovation Factory Limited
Queens University Belfast
University of Central Lancashire
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
Bettys & Taylors Group
Portmeirion Group PLC
- Provided an ‘In-House’ model of support for Gyroscope Therapeutics Limited and advised them on a variety of IP matters.
- Acted on Queen University of Belfast’s behalf on the negotiation and finalisation of a global exclusive licence of QUB’s preclinical stage FLIP inhibitor program for Ipsen to research, develop, manufacture, and commercialize FLIP inhibitors.
- Advised FibroFind in relation to its Master Services Agreement (MSA) with various pharmaceutical companies to ensure that it is not inadvertently giving away its IP.
Brabners LLP provides advice across a broad spectrum of IP issuess, including the protection, exploitation and enforcement of intellectual property rights. Trade mark prosecution and online brand protection are areas of particular strength. The practice is instructed by clients across sectors, namely sport, retail and technology. Colin Bell leads the team, handling intellectual property strategies, commercial contracts and brand management issues. Nik White works on all aspects of general commercial matters and contracts, including franchising and data protection. Senior associates Hannah Fawcett and Hayley Morgan provide key support.
Other key lawyers:
Nik White; Hannah Fawcett; Hayley Morgan
‘Good firm, well respected.’
‘Colin Bell in particular has gone above and beyond by being available and very responsive when we were up against tight deadlines.’
‘Good support and guidance from Hayley Morgan.’
4Cast Investment Group Limited
Alder Hey Childrens Charity
Alfa Leisureplex Group Ltd, David Urquhart Holidays Ltd
Alphavet International Limited
Angel Revive Ltd
Apollo Generics Ltd
Beaverbrooks the Jeweller Ltd
Bolton Wanderers Football Club
Booking.com Transport Ltd t/a rentalcars.com and Priceline.com (UK and US subsidiaries of Priceline Inc)
British Association for Shooting and Conservation
Cataclean Global Limited
Chargepoint Technology Limited
Churchill Graham, Lda
Circa5000 UK Limited
Citadel LLC (KCG IP Holdings Limited)
College of Paramedics
Coffee Panna Ltd
Cogent Breeding Limited
CO Research Trust
Cornwall Rugby league Football Club Limited
Creative Scalps Limited
Dean West (Executors of)
Dinner Lady Fam Limited
ECF Holdings LLC
EMDR Association (UK)
EPG Business Ltd T/A Epic risk Management
FAUN Trackway Limited
Greenberg Traurig (US Law Firm)
Gusbourne Estate Limited
H&O Distribution Ltd T/A Primalash
Her.9 Group Limited
H.G. Stephenson Limited
Hospital Compare Ltd
HR Healthcare Limited; Webcare Group Limited
Icon Lifesaver Limited
International Sport Group Limited
ION Property Developments Limited
James Hall & Company Limited (NW Spar Franchise Operator)
Kindr International Limited
L10N Media pte Ltd
Lancashire County Cricket Club
Lyrical Communications Limited
Manchester Sale Rugby Club Limited
Manchester United Foundation
Oxford Sandy and Black Pig Group
Polski Koncern Naflowy ORLEN S.A.
Portfolio Eleven Limited
Quartermaine Brands Ltd, Quartermaine Distribution Ltd
Reclaim Project Ltd
RedX International Cz s.r.o; RedX International Limited
Regatta Limited / Craghoppers Limited / Hawkshead Outdoor Limited
Revolution Foods Limited
Showcase Interiors Limited
Simply Design Group Limited
Tall Group of Companies; Checkprint Limited; DLRT Limited
The Christopher Harrison Group Ltd
Thomas George Pegram
TJ Morris Limited (Home Bargains)
Valves Instruments Plus Limited
Vascular Perspectives Limited
Wigan Rugby League Club Limited
Yodel Delivery Network Limited
- Advised sports clubs on their intellectual property portfolios and protection, exploitation and enforcement of rights including Sale Sharks, Wigan Warriors, Leicester City FC, Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End, Wigan Athletic, Cornwall RLFC.
- Advised technology businesses founded and supported by sports personalities including 4Cast (Ben Stokes, Stuart Broad, Jofra Archer) and Opon (Tom Cairney and Josh Windass) on their online business ventures including general IP advice, image rights and trade mark advice.
- Represented and managed the global trade marks portfolio of this group for the brands: Regatta Great Outdoors, Craghoppers, Hawkshead and Dare2b.
Brandsmiths handles contentious and non-contentious IP matters for clients spanning the fashion, retail and media sectors. Michael Forrester heads the Manchester team, dealing with contentious matters involving registered and unregistered designs, trade marks and passing off. Co-head Andrew Lee is based in the London office. Associate Jacob O’Brien advises technology companies and brands on the enforcement, protection and exploitation of their intellectual property rights, Fellow associate John Battersby focuses on IP disputes.
Michael Forrester; Andrew Lee
Other key lawyers:
Jacob O’Brien; John Battersby
‘The team are always responsive, work hard on our matters and have achieved the results we have required on everything we have given the team so far.’
Lifestyle Equities CV
Iconix Brand Group (Umbro, Lee Cooper, Starter etc)
RW Invest North Ltd
Premiership Football Players
International Pipeline Products
Beyond Corporate / Beyond Group
Night Addict / Whispering Smith
- Advised Iconix Brand Group on a variety of contentious and non-contentious issues.
- Represented a blue chip brand owner on a wide range of business critical intellectual property issues, with impact across EMEA.
DLA Piper advises local, national and international clients across a wide range of sectors, including manufacturing, food and beverage, consumer goods, fashion and retail. Sarah Bell oversees the firm’s North West offering. Lee Brierley heads the Manchester office, handling matters in relation to brand acquisition, technology partnering arrangements and, licensing and manufacturing agreements. Peter Brook leads the Liverpool office and deals with commercial non-contentious IP issues. Legal director Jim McDonnell focuses on technology transactions and IP litigation.
Sarah Bell; Lee Brierley; Peter Brook
Other key lawyers:
Honeywell International Inc
Laura Ashley IP Holdings LLC
The Hut Group
Snowdonia Cheese Co
- Handled a high-value multi-jurisdiction patent portfolio litigation for Honeywell International against a major competitor in safety and productivity solutions, concerning digital bar code imaging technology and impacting a wide range of bar code scanners and mobile computers.
- Advised Key Group in respect of the branding and other IPR implications of its long-term collaboration with Phoenix Group (the largest long term savings and retirement company in the UK) regarding the development and provision of later life lending products under the Standard Life Home Finance Brand.
- Advised The Hut Group and its e-commerce services division, THG Ingenuity, on a multimillion-pound deal with respect to the launch of ZYN.
DWF is instructed by clients on contentious and non-contentious IP matters. On the contentious side, the specialist IP litigation practice advises leading brands, manufacturers and retailers across the full spectrum of intellectual property rights; this includes patent, design, copyright, trade mark disputes and breach of confidence claims. The non-contentious team offer expertise in brand exploitation. Asima Rana heads the IP litigation team. Co-head James Lonsdale leads the non-contentious department, focusing on the acquisition and disposal of IP rights, patent and trade mark licensing and R&D agreements.
James Lonsdale; Asima Rana
Paul Hartmann AG
Scapa (part of SWM International)
- Advised Paul Hartmann on a significant wound care development and global commercialisation project (substantially completing in May 2020) and has continued to advise on further significant wound care development and global commercialisation projects in 2021 to date.
- Advised Scapa (part of SWM International) on IP issues arising in relation to an agreement with a global household name brand for the development of an innovative wound dressing.
- Acted for a private individual in relation to patent entitlement proceedings before the Intellectual property Enterprise Court under section 37 of the Patents Act 1977.
Pannone Corporate LLP acts for clients in the retail, fashion and technology sectors. The litigation lawyers in the practice are recognised for advising clients on fashion disputes, franchise litigation and employee breach of restrictive covenant disputes. On the non-contentious side, the team specialises in brand licensing, sponsorship agreements, and technology, patent and know how licensing. Melanie McGuirk heads the IP and media litigation teams, handling trade mark infringement, passing off and design rights, while Amy Chandler leads the non-contentious side of the practice. Sarah Bazaraa focuses on contentious IP disputes in the fashion and retail sectors.
Melanie McGuirk; Amy Chandler
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Bazaraa; Patricia Jones
‘They know what we do, how we operate and have made themselves indispensable. They see risks, opportunities and weaknesses that we don’t, they go over and above the brief.’
‘They see the bigger picture, what we want to achieve in the medium and long term, rather than just skipping from brief to brief and delivering what’s been requested.’
‘Melanie McGuirk and Sarah Bazaraa have taken the time to properly understand our business and our IP needs.’
‘The intellectual property team at Pannone is outstanding. They have comprehensive knowledge of IP issues, coupled with clear strategy and a firm approach to establish, preserve and defend clients IP.’
‘Melanie McGuirk showed incredible attention to detail and provided eloquent and compelling legal arguments which resolved the issue in our favour.’
‘Sarah Bazaraa is extremely able, intelligent, diligent and meticulous.’
Pets at Home Limited
Boohoo.com UK Limited
Iceland Foods Limited
Debenhams.com Online Limited
Brother International Europe Limited
Represent Clothing Limited
Travel Insurance Facilities plc
International Game Technology plc
UP Global Sourcing UK Limited
- Advised a metaverse investment platform from an IP perspective in connection with its $8m share acquisition of a market leader in the development of digital games and experiences, including for Roblox, metaverse, Minecraft and Core.
- Advised the shareholder of Hera London on the assignment of IP and licence arrangements on the sale of his shareholding to one of the executive directors of GymShark.
- Advised and acted for companies in the boohoo group, including Debenhams, boohoo, PLT, Nasty Gal and Karen Millen in relation to their contentious IP issues.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP advises clients across a broad spectrum of IP matters, with sector-focused expertise in sport, retail, technology and manufacturing. The practice also calls upon the services of an in-house trade mark attorney, who works alongside a coordinated team of IP litigation specialists and IP transactional lawyers. Practice head Samantha Livesey, also global head of commercial, leads the team and acts for high-profile retail and consumer, sport, technology, and science clients. Senior associate Sam Hall bolsters the department, recognised for handling IP issues that arise from collaboration agreements, sports sponsorship and athlete brand ambassador contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Jockey Club Racecourses
Innovative Vector Control Consortium
Aubin & Wills
- Acted for World Athletics on its lynchpin media and broadcasting agreement with the European Broadcasting Union.
- Acted for Jockey Club Racecourses on its sponsorship contract with Cazoo for the rights to crown jewel assets for the Epsom Derby Festival.
- Acted for JLingz Esports, the esports company owned by England and Manchester United professional footballer Jesse Lingard, on various influencer, brand collaboration and partnership agreements.
TLT operates a dedicated specialist chemical, mechanical and electrical engineering patent disputes practice with UK and international elements. The contentious side of the department includes a specialist design dispute practice and handles claims relating to trade mark and copyright infringement, passing off and domain name dispute resolution. The non-contentious side of the team focuses on the strategic licensing of existing IP rights, combination of existing IP to deliver new products and solutions, and managing the transfer of IP in the context of major commercial transactions. Graeme Orchison leads the team, offering expertise in brand protection and anti-counterfeiting strategies for retail clients. David Gardner works on non-contentious matters, handling ownership and licensing, branding and promotion issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Graeme Orchison is a very experienced and commercially savvy. He has experience of a wide range of soft IP cases and knows all the tactics and legal pitfalls.’
‘Graeme Orchison is very approachable, hands-on and communicates clearly.’
‘Graeme Orchison is very knowledgeable, commercial and responsive. He has a good ability to simplify issues and get to the nub of the problem quickly.’
‘Graeme Orchison offers top notch advice and has a tremendously cool head. He quickly understands a situation and seems to have a gift for reading his counterparts on the opposing side.’
‘Graeme Orchison is excellent tactically and has a deep knowledge and understanding of this area of the law. He is also client-friendly, understanding the commercial needs of the client as well as providing sound legal advice.’
HOTTER COMFORT CONCEPT
A leading national clearing bank
Elavon Financial Service DAC
J Mac Safety Systems
Major global brewer
boohoo/Pretty Little Thing/Nasty Gal
Yorkshire Building Society
In the Style Fashion
Bluestones Investment Group
- Provided IP support services to D Jacobson & Sons Ltd, an independent designer, manufacturer and supplier of footwear in the UK and internationally, including under the iconic GOLA, LOTUS and DUNLOP brands.
Gateley Plc assists clients with brand licensing, complex technology exploitation and IP litigation across ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ IP issues. The practice focuses on the technology and life sciences, sport, retail and manufacturing sectors. Jonathan Moakes heads the team, recommended as an IP litigator and for his expertise in dealing with life sciences and technology-related matters. Legal director Robert Lye acts for clients on both contentious and non-contentious IP issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gateley’s intellectual property department contains several highly experienced professionals who are able to provide clear insights into complex legal issues.’
‘Robert Lye can always be relied upon to carry out a thorough assessment of the matter in hand and provide excellent pragmatic advice.’
Harman Technology Limited
JD Sports Fashion plc
Manchester City Football Club Limited
The Partnership (Licensing) Limited
Allscripts Healthcare IT
Gauselmann Group – Blueprint Operations, Regal Gaming, Blueprint Technologies
- Defended High Court action brought by Lifestyle Equities against The Partnership for trade mark infringement/passing off regarding the logos of rival brands Beverley Hills Polo Club and The Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club.
- Acted claimant in IPEC action against Ilford Imaging (Europe) GmbH for injunctive and declaratory relief to preserve Harman’s ability to exploit the Ilford brand.
- Acted for a client in the field of cancer therapeutics and development of target medicines since a very early stage through to floating on AIM.
Kuit Steinart Levy LLP advises on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious IP law, with a particular focus on licensing, software and database protection, franchising, patent litigation and international trade mark litigation. The practice acts for clients across the fashion, sports, retail and entertainment industries. Bruce Jones heads the team and is dually qualified as a European Patent Attorney. Consultant Ian Morris and Claire Meyers focus on contentious work, while senior associate Yasmin Kalantari advises clients across a variety of sectors on IP disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Ian Morris; Claire Meyers; Yasmin Kalantari; Humna Nadim
‘Kuit Steinart Levy LLP continues to have an established, strong intellectual property team with a solid reputation in the North West.’
‘Humna Nadim is a dedicated solicitor with a wealth of knowledge and experience in IP litigation.’
‘Bruce Jones is technically excellent and a great problem solver. Bruce is uniquely positioned as a solicitor and a patent attorney which enables him to provide clients with a broader perspective on complex issues in IP litigation.’
Beauty Bay Limited
Character World Limited
Class of ‘92
Harnbury Holdings Limited (San Carlo restaurants)
Thornton & Ross Limited
DAC Beachcroft LLP
DAC Beachcroft LLP is regularly instructed by clients in the technology and health sectors for IP transactions and disputes. The team deals with contentious and non-contentious work, specialising in all aspects of soft IP, such as copyright, trade marks, passing off and database rights. Harald Loeffler heads the practice as well as the firm’s German desk, with experience in handling licensing disputes, trade mark and design right infringement claims, and breach of confidential information issues.
University of Manchester Students’ Union
- Advised Internorm about all aspects of the protection of its intellectual property rights in the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
- Advised the client in connection with all intellectual property aspects of a transaction with London Underground and Panasonic in connection with the supply of software-defined radios.
- Represented a leading insurer in connection with the termination of a contract for the supply of business-critical, bespoke risk-management software and resulting issues over the ownership of intellectual property rights.
Myerson Solicitors LLP advises a diverse range of clients, comprising wealthy individuals, owner-managed businesses, SMEs and PLCs on a broad range of IP matters, ranging from initial registration and exploitation through to protection and enforcement. The specialist IP litigation team also handles business disputes involving intellectual property rights. Carla Murray and Tim Norman lead the practice.
Carla Murray; Tim Norman
Customs Connect Limited
Panthera Biopartners Ltd
Gorvins Solicitors advises clients across intellectual property matters including copyright, design rights and trade marks. The team also handles intellectual property licenses either on a stand-alone basis or as part of a wider commercial or corporate arrangement. Andrew Curwen, head of the corporate/M&A department, leads the team and focuses on non-contentious IP work. Co-head Guy Lightowler acts for clients on IP disputes, while Christian Mancier deals with IP issues that arise during corporate transactions.
Andrew Curwen; Guy Lightowler
Other key lawyers:
District Surveyors Association Limited t/a LABC
Mondiale Publishing Limited
Sleeper Media Limited
Darc Media Limited
CGA Strategy Limited
Richer Sounds plc
GPC Computer Software Limited
EF Group Ltd
Key Computer Applications Limited
- Advised EF Group on its purchase of the entire issued share capital of Air Publishing Limited and Vivo Markets Ltd to acquire their software IPs and technical expertise, in particular the “freshmarkets” online purchasing platform developed by those two companies.
Irwin Mitchell handles a diverse range of IP work for clients, including copyright, trade marks, patents and design issues. Practice head Laura Harper leads the team and is recognised for her work advising clients within the creative industries and digital sectors on complex IP matters.
‘Far from the robotic of formulaic advice, Laura Haper’s team offers real world consultancy.’
‘Approachable and knowledgeable individuals who take the time to appreciate what is required and the best way to achieve an optimum outcome taking into account some of the commercial options.’
Whispering Smith Limited
Good For Nothing Limited
Firesprite Limited (A PlayStation Studio)
Grandpa Productions Limited
Newson Health Limited
Supply Retail Ltd t/a Wonder & Awe
Dinosaur UK Limited
Louise Newson Medical Writer Ltd
Oddbug Studios Limited
- Advised Firesprite on the filing and management of the its international trade mark portfolio.
- Advised Whispering Smith, the UK’s largest creator, importer, wholesaler and distributor of fashion clothing on all intellectual property matters advising on its extensive worldwide trade mark portfolio and strategic management of the same.
- Filed and managed Balance App Limited’s trade mark portfolio and advised in relation to all opposition and infringement matters.