Construction in North West
Addleshaw Goddard garners praise from clients for its 'great depth of experience and expertise.' Nancy McGuire, who heads up the team, acts on non-contentious construction mandates; this includes advising clients on procurement strategies and development and infrastructure projects. Paul O’Kane is active in contentious and non-contentious construction matters, and works with local authorities such as Manchester City Council on regeneration schemes. The team is particularly noted for its 'unrivalled experience in PFI', which is one of Paul Barge's areas of specialism. Managing associate Philip Withey is recommended for his expertise in construction and engineering disputes. Jonathan Tattersall and managing associate Philip Withey are also names to note.
‘The AG team has great depth of experience and expertise. They understand the needs of their clients and can provide brilliant advice and assistance in even the most difficult situations. They have particular experience in PFI disputes involving highly complex projects. In my view, their experience in PFI is unrivalled anywhere in the UK and they are far ahead of their competitors. Their depth of expertise and breadth of experience gives them a huge advantage over other firms.’
‘Very good teams allocated to cases, good continuity and knowledge across work streams. Careful and commercial approach and great clarity on advising on risk.’
‘AG has huge strength and depth across multiple locations and offers top class legal advice and commercial solutions quickly and efficiently. Their lawyers are clear, clever and responsive. I would put them up against big hitting firms with full confidence and they give great value for money. They are true team players and get great results.’
‘Jonathan Tattersall – great big picture skills, ready to dive into the detail, but very encouraging of junior colleagues to whom he gives a good deal of responsibility but is equally supportive Phil Withers – an outstanding associate Sarah Wilson – another outstanding associate, very bright and will go all the way’
‘John Emerton has fantastic tactical and strategic instincts.’
‘Thomas Hurst is highly commercial, a brilliant lawyer and loved by clients. Matt Collingwood-Cooper has terrific judgment and is an asset in any case. Sarah Wilson is an up and coming star.’
West Midlands Combined Authority
MB Bermondsey (Guernsey) Limited
Moda Living Limited
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
Liverpool John Moores University
Select Property Group
Far East Consortium
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manhattan Loft Corporation
- Currently advising the West Midlands Combined Authority on its rail redevelopment programme which is part of a wider development of the infrastructure in the West Midlands in preparation for the Commonwealth Games being held in Birmingham in 2022. As part of its stations re-development programme the Combined Authority is constructing 5 new rail stations and undertaking major refurbishments on a further 2 rail stations.
- Continue to advise in an array of Bruntwood projects across the entire estate. Advised Bruntwood on a bespoke energy services contract for the provision of energy to the site, various laboratory redevelopments, the development of office accommodation, the development of a gym and sports pitch and a new multi storey car park.
- Advised on all construction legal aspects of the restoration and redevelopment of the iconic Grade II* listed London Road Fire Station in Manchester, including drafting and placing all construction management agreements, trade contracts and consultancy agreements for phase 1 of the redevelopment.
Pinsent Masons LLP's non-contentious work is undertaken by Graham Alty who is active in projects in the nuclear, oil and road sectors. On the contentious side, Michael Hopkins has over 25 years of experience of adjudication, arbitration and litigation. He has been notably involved in matters relating to insulation and cladding issues. Mark Job is noted for his work on PPP regeneration projects. Another notable individual is Anthony Bradley, who is well regarded for his 'pragmatism and calm advice.' Katherine Sneddon is active in PFI disputes, as well as advisory work. Siân Hughes, senior associate Arwyn Jones and legal director Ian Fairclough are recommended for their broad transactional and contentious experience.
Graham Alty; Michael Hopkins
Other key lawyers:
‘On construction, it has a long held leading position and knowledge base. This applies to both contentious and non-contentious business.’
‘Anthony Bradley, stands out for his pragmatism and calm advice.’
Appleby (Cayman) Ltd.
Cayman Islands Government
Eiffage Génie Civil and Kier Infrastructure and Overseas Limited
Galliford Try Infrastructure Limited
Heathrow Airport Limited
Johnson Matthey Group
JV comprising Kier Infrastructure and Overseas Limited, FCC Construccion SA, Samsung C & T ECUK Limited
Laing O’Rourke Construction
Ministry of Justice
Morgan Sindall Group plc
Scottish Power Renewables
Styles & Wood
Suffolk County Council
Vinci Construction UK
Yapi Merkezi Insaat ve Sanayi A.S
- Advised Sellafield Limited in relation to multiple, inter-related complex contracts for decommissioning facilities (£15bn+) at Europe’s largest nuclear decommissioning site.
- Advised Construction Joint Venture Companies in relation to £multi-million value claims in proceedings arising from the £600m DBFO Contracts.
- Advised the Construction Joint Venture companies in relation to its +£1bn contracts and associated design appointments, joint venture contracts and sub-contracts for certain sections of the £75bn+ HS2 Project.
CMS' team in Manchester has undergone significant expansion since 2017 and is now 13-strong in size. Its work covers regeneration projects, infrastructure projects, energy sector mandates and litigation. Chris Hallam has experience of acting on the largest and most high profile construction projects in the UK. He specialises in structuring, negotiating and drafting contracts for projects. Hallam jointly leads the practice with Nigel Lewis, who is the head of the infrastructure, construction and energy disputes team. Lewis has over two decades of experience acting for developers, contractors and financial institutions.
Chris Hallam; Nigel Lewis
Other key lawyers:
Nick Case; David Turner; Charlotte Eccles; Andrew Wood; Sally Haslewood
‘The team is literally a team, full of cross-functional/discipline support given by lawyers and associates at the top of their profession.’
‘I have worked with Chris Hallam for 10 years and he is a highly competent professional lawyer Chris blends legal advice with a commercial business application that makes for outstanding quality advice. Chris also motivates the team to deliver cost effective and on time solutions for the construction projects I have worked on and commissioned CMS to assist with.’
Ask Real Estate
Manchester Airport Group
Lend Lease Construction
Partnership (U+I, Manchester City Council and London & Continental Railways)
Crown Commercial Services (Wider Public Sector) [panel appointment]
Public Health England
English Cities Fund
Select Properties / Vita Group
Great Portland Estate
Education and Skills Funding Agency
University of Sheffield
The Crown Estate
Far East Consortium
- Advising Ask Developments/Patrizia (joint venture) on all construction aspects of the Gateshead Arena development, a new 12,500 seat arena and connected conference centre on a 10-acre site.
- Advised the MEH Joint Venture with regard to their engagement on a multibillion pound alliance contract at the new Hinkley Point C (HPC) nuclear power station.
- Advising Public Health England, part of the Department of Health, on procurement and construction matters in relation to a new circa £500m 650,000 sq ft laboratory and public health campus.
The construction practice of DLA Piper is 'exceptionally strong on PFI and projects.' Alison Fagan is a contentious lawyer who has notable expertise in PPP/PFI. The 'excellent' Paul Giles, who leads the team, also acts for clients in construction disputes, with notable expertise in those relating to energy, utilities and infrastructure. Giles is also noted for his international experience, which includes representing clients in Russia and Spain. Legal director Robin Jack is active in matters with a nexus to the transport and education sectors. David Moss practises as a consultant.
‘Exceptionally strong on PFI and projects. Considerable expertise in rescuing failing large projects.’
‘Very solution-focused team.’
‘Paul Giles is excellent. Very good technically and prepared to give an opinion on best route forward.’
‘Alison Fagan very hands-on and experienced in the area.’
‘Robin Jack – exceptionally hard working and focused.’
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's practice is active in contentious and non-contentious construction matters, including construction disputes and advisory work relating to industrial and infrastructure projects. Team head Simon Chamberlain is experienced in litigation, arbitration, adjudication and mediation. Chris Pickens is active in transactional matters and advises clients on procurement strategies. Gregory Buckley has a specialism in the energy, natural resources and infrastructure sectors.
John Sisk & Son Limited
Welsh Water Organic Energy Ltd
Manchester City Council
Salford City Council
English Cities Fund
National Grid Plc
Airport City Limited
- Advising Network Rail (“NR”) in relation to all legal aspects of three multi-disciplinary framework agreements for projects to be undertaken across its Anglia, Southeast and Wessex routes.
- Drafted a new suite of construction and maintenance contracts for CF Fertilisers which will be used to deliver annual programme of maintenance and expansion of CFF’s sites in the UK.
- Acted for Irish contractor John Sisk & Son in relation to a dispute concerning construction of an energy from waste power plant in the UK. This dispute was the subject of multiple adjudications, Technology and Construction Court proceedings and application to the Court of Appeal.
Gateley Plc is 'very sharp' in its construction advice to clients, which include construction companies, housebuilders and developers. Emlyn Hudson, who leads the team, has extensive expertise in construction disputes, and is sought out by clients such as funders, developers and construction professionals. Hayley Sullivan (who is a specialist in non-contentious construction and surety work) is 'very knowledgeable in a wide variety of matters', including PRS schemes and student accommodation work. Karen Spencer acts as consultant to the firm, with a notable specialism in disputes.
‘Very sharp and able to promote confidence in our position. Not always an easy task when in stressful contentious disputes. This puts our mind at ease.’
‘Emlyn Hudson – very able to make clear arguments to support our case and communicate them well.
‘Hayley Sullivan – very knowledgeable in a wide variety of matters which again, gives us confidence we’re working with the right people to support us.’
Aviva Insurance Limited
Manchester City Football Club
Everton Football Club
Zurich Insurance Plc
AIG Europe Limited
QBE Insurance (Europe) Limited
Network Space Developments Limited
Hiscox Insurance Company Limited
New York Bagel Company
Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe Limited
Bournemouth Football Club
CLS Civil Engineering Limited
DRS Bond Management Limited
Nexus EBA Insurance Services Limited
- Advised Everton Football Club on the construction works for its new head office.
Hill Dickinson LLP's team demonstrates 'a considerable level of expertise in the field of construction'. Team head Alan Pugh is active in both contentious and non- contentious construction and engineering work, and he is particularly prominent in projects in the energy, oil and gas and industrial sectors. David Chinn is highly experienced in all types of construction matters, particularly disputes, where he is active in litigation and arbitration. Also notable is that he is an accredited mediator. Another key name is Tricia Morrison, who represents clients in litigation and adjudications.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team demonstrates a considerable level of expertise in the field of construction and construction law. Aligned to this expertise is an excellent understanding of legal cases which are relevant to the matters in hand. The strength of the team is underpinned by their client relations and the ability to think out of the box.’
‘All peers have been a great help and given excellent advice.’
‘I have worked considerably with Tricia Morrison – An absolute standout partner of Hill Dickinson, who has, on behalf of a company in Administration, navigated very complex cases with professionalism and expertise, unrivaled in this field of construction litigation.’
‘Philip Gazzola has demonstrated that a background in construction is paramount to successful conclusion of matters, whilst applying his expertise in his application of the law.’
‘David Banks is an up and coming success story and will be a definite one to watch. His dedication to the matters at hand and responsiveness is a real credit to the firm.’
‘Easy to talk to and all Individuals kept our company up to date and in the loop explaining the position and progress of our case.’
BCEGI Construction Limited
Bilfinger UK Limited
Liverpool City Council
Peel Land and Property Limited
First Group plc
National Express plc
Construction Partnership UK
- Advising Peel on appropriate procurement structure for and preparing construction documentation associated with remediation works and large scale £90m residential development of at Wirral Waters.
- Representing HS Barrier Coatings in a successful challenge to proposed enforcement of adjudication decision in the Technology and Construction Court (with judge holding that correct forum was the Scottish courts).
- Providing construction advice to Ion Projects and assisting with preparation of suite of construction documents relating to office development at Wolverhampton station.
Squire Patton Boggs' construction practice acts for clients on projects and developments locally in the North West, as well as nationally and internationally. The head of the team in Manchester is Julian Scott, who specialises in non-contentious work, with particular experience of advising on energy-related matters, such as energy storage projects, solar projects and offshore wind farms. He is also active in residential projects and mixed-use developments. Also recommended is infrastructure specialist Nick Helm, who advises a range of clients. Former team head Sean McCay departed for TLT in June 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘The contentious construction offering at Squire Patton Boggs is very strong and partner-led.’
Galliford Try Investments
Dolphin (Costain Pension Fund)
Balfour Beatty Investments
Gresham House/Hazel Capital LLP
Manchester Life Development Company Limited
- Advised Gresham House on battery storage projects.
- Advised Manchester Life on the development of property for sale and letting.
- Advised Vital Energi on an 18MW waste to energy project.
Trowers & Hamlins LLP has a 'committed, knowledgeable and helpful' team. Work for central and local government clients is a major part of the firm's practice. Katie Saunders, who leads the team, advises local authorities and housing providers on the procurement of long-term contracts. Tom Holroyd is highly active in contentious construction matters, including adjudication and litigation. He has a notable specialism in the waste sector and he continues to build the practice's private sector workload.
Other key lawyers:
‘Housing and construction teams at T&H Manchester carry out thorough due diligence and sound advice. The drafting of legal documents is excellent and reporting clear and easy to understand.’
‘They go the extra mile to resolve queries and have worked diligently on some complex projects.’
‘Committed, knowledgeable & helpful’
Department for Education
NHS Shared Business Services
Wheeldon Brothers Waste Limited
Clarion Housing Group
Plus Dane Housing Group
Seddon Construction Limited
Places for People Group
Great Places Group
Watford Borough Council
- Acted for Clarion on a 280 apartment scheme with Glenbrook as a developer in Media City Salford.
- Advised on an income strip deal for Watford Borough Council on the purchase of one of the largest business parks in the country from Threadneedle.
- Advised ICN on the procurement and construction documentation for its £750 million construction framework including modular works.
Brabners LLP provides 'commercial and considered advice' on the full range of non-contentious construction matters, including procurement, development agreements and consultants' appointments. Barry Goodall is dual-qualified as a construction lawyer and quantity surveyor, giving him a great insight into the wider market. Eleanor Stirrett has experience of advising developers, tenants and housing associations on non-contentious issues. Elspeth Christie has a wealth of experience of matters concerning student accommodation and residential development.
‘The team is practical and knowledgeable.’
‘Commercial and considered advice is provided.’
TJ Morris Limited (Home Bargains)
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Liverpool
Peel Ports Limited/The Mersey Docks and Harbour Company Limited
- Provide a full contract review service to Rhomberg Sersa (a railway infrastructure and services client).
- Providing Downing Group with advice on their construction documentation, most recently for 791 student bed spaces within a 32 storey building.
- Longstanding advisers to Glenbrook, advising on many developments – recently a 19 storey hotel and approximately 420 build-to-rent apartments at the former Yorkshire Post office in Leeds city centre.
Clyde & Co LLP's practice is noted for its 'professional, efficient, straightforward approach', with a strong and varied client base made up of onshore and offshore energy companies, educational institutions and infrastructure contractors. Steven Cannon, who is praised for his 'sound judgement', heads up the team. His expertise lies in construction and engineering disputes, where he has two decades of experience. Renewable energy work is another area of expertise. Lucy Frith is 'knowledgeable, practical and thorough.'
Other key lawyers:
‘Obvious expertise in dealing with the matter in hand.’
‘Great company to work with. Helpful, proactive with a professional, efficient straight forward approach to dealing with issues, without getting bogged down.’
‘I have only really engaged with Lucy Frith but she has support around her making her able to respond to our needs quickly and efficiently.’
‘I found Steve Cannon a lot more pragmatic than other solicitors that I have had employed in Manchester and looked to provide solutions rather than relying on dogma, whilst at the same time being sure to protect our interests.’
‘I dealt with Steve Cannon. Steve had good communication skills and was able to articulate complex arguments both verbally and in written communication. He can up with creative problem-solving ideas during our mediation which required quick thinking. His judgement was sound.’
‘Lucy Frith had good communication skills and employed analytical thinking and thorough research skills to her work.’
‘Lucy Frith is knowledgeable, practical and thorough. She very much understands our needs and imperatives, and gives sound, considered commercially focused advice.’
‘Julie Morrissey – good attention to detail and client care.’
Anchor Hanover Group
University of Sheffield
University of Leeds
Sheffield Hallam University
Five Oaks Green Holdings Limited
Sheffield Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
University of Manchester
- Acting for the University of Sheffield in relation to the procurement of its new Social Sciences Building.
- Advising the University of Leeds on its new Technology and Engineering Campus Project. The Project involves the development of a rail testing facility and development of commercial research centres.
- Advising Five Oaks Green Holdings Limited on a series of disputes regarding the termination of a building contract and subsequent adjudication in which the contractor argued that the termination was unlawful.
DTM Legal LLP's fast-growing practice demonstrates strong capabilities in both contentious and non-contentious construction work. Jim Morris, who heads up the team, specialises in contentious matters. His disputes experience includes matters arising from the construction of rail and road projects, as well as power lines and power stations. Guy Thomas, who handles both contentious and non-contentious work, is dual-qualified as a solicitor and chartered civil engineer. Clients of the firm include engineers, architects and local authorities.
Other key lawyers:
Foundation Piling Limited
Atmore Developments Limited
Dee Tech Services Limited
Clancy Consulting Limited
Anwyl Construction Company Limited
Rotex Europe Limited (part of the Hillenbrand Group on NYSE)
Sterling Services Limited
Electricity Solutions Limited
- Advising and negotiating on and draft integrated suites of documents for NewRiver Retail REIT which has a property portfolio of £1.3 billion and projects that include retail shopping developments, city centre and town centre redevelopments, hotel developments and public refurbishment works throughout the UK.
- Advise Anwyl Construction Company Limited on the drafting and negotiation of a full suite of construction documents in respect of numerous multi-unit housing developments in excess of 200 units each.
- Assist and advise Egerton Street Management Company in respect of defects and claims against the developer and building guarantee provider for defective design and construction, resulting is a portion of the apartment block being vacated to allow foundations to be reconstructed and fire related and other serious defects remedied.
TLT's fast-growing team seeks to 'adopt a proactive approach' under the leadership of Sean McCay, who brings a 'wealth of expertise and experience in construction.' His disputes work covers the full range of dispute resolution forums, including arbitration, adjudication and litigation. Sector strengths include energy, waste management and utilities. Neil Window acts on transactional work, such as PPP/PFI. Eve Johnstone advises contractors and sub-contractors on various issues, including delays and defects.
‘The team is expanding its resources under a highly capable and experienced partner in order to strengthen its overall capability within the contentious and non-contentious sections of the energy and construction markets. It seeks to adopt a proactive approach to managing client risk through the encouragement of the right behaviour at the initial project procurement stage to minimise the risk of disputes occurring later in the project.’
‘Sean McCay is the partner responsible for the energy and construction department in the North West and brings a wealth of expertise and experience in the construction sector. An experienced construction lawyer who is quickly able to spot the strengths and weaknesses of a client’s position and a superb strategist capable of driving matters to a cost-effective resolution.’
Weightmans LLP, which is active in the public and private sector, is strong in all aspects of non-contentious domestic construction. It is also active in UK and international construction disputes. Clients include local authorities, housing developers and universities. The practice is led by Colette Morgan-Ford, who is experienced in representing contractors and professional consultants in domestic and international adjudication, litigation, mediation and arbitration. Ian Hardman assists clients with infrastructure developments.
Other key lawyers:
Ian Hardman; Tom Collins
Jacobs (Halcrow Group Limited)
Read Construction Group Limited
One Vision Housing Limited
Swissport GB Limited
University of Leicester
Clarion Housing Group
Watkin Jones Group
Carroll Build Limited
Newcastle Under Lyme Borough Council
Adoni Developments Limited
- Advised Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council on the contract documents for a highways project at Junction 10 of the M6 in the West Midlands in partnership with Highways England. Advising on the construction aspects of the developments agreement, reviewing NEC3 contracts, consultant appointments and warranties, including risk allocation and funding.
- Acted for Greenwich University in the drafting, negotiation and procurement of a full (hard and soft) facilities management outsourcing contract across 3 campuses, for a contract period of 5 years (extendable by up to 2 years). The contract was procured under the NEC4 Term Service Contract Option A and using the competitive dialogue public procurement process.
- Acting for The Chrysalis Fund in relation to their proposed loan to a developer to develop new office buildings (including all the infrastructure works) in Daresbury.
Clarke Willmott LLP advises clients on the construction of power stations and infrastructure projects domestically and internationally. Its team also has expertise in advising Spanish EPC contractors on their projects. Practice head James Driver is present across the firm's various UK offices in contentious construction matters.
Styles & Wood Group
John Turner Construction Group Limited
- Advising Dentix in connection with the acquisition and development of numerous new sites for new dental clinics in the UK.
- Concluded Trokel SA’s defence of a c£7m claim brought by Stadco, an international tier 1 supplier of automotive body products and services. Trokel was also pursuing a c.£2m counterclaim.
Mills & Reeve LLP
Mills & Reeve LLP is active in the healthcare, education and entertainment sectors. Its practice in Manchester is led by Catherine Kay, who has a focus on non-contentious construction. She has experience of acting for public and private sector clients in the healthcare sector, including hospitals and pharmacies.
Catherine Kay (Manchester); Martino Giaquinto (Birmingham/London)
‘The level of experience, knowledge and speciality in subjects and sectors they have is one of the factors that makes them unique. Effective teamwork, a high level of commitment, a focus on the tasks and an understanding of client briefs.’
‘Catherine Kay is a highly skilled individual, dedicated and focused on the task and the project as a whole.’
Adhara Property Holdings Limited
Contact theatre (Manchester Young Person’s theatre)
L Rowlands (Retail) Limited
Halle Concerts Society
Royal Northern College of Music
- Advising Contact theatre, Manchester on the £6.8m refurbishment and extension. The refurbishment and three-storey extension include new performance spaces, a recording studio, offices, a café, and an arts and health development space.
- Undertaking general construction due diligence for L. Rowlands & Company (Retail) Limited together with drafting, negotiating and issuing engrossed agreed appointment documents to the members of the team, building contract and deeds of collateral warranty from relevant design consultants, sub consultants and sub-contractors for the benefit of either a landlord or tenant following completion of the agreement for lease or development agreement.
- Act for the Halle at the instruction of Val Hawkin, Financial Director, regarding the appointment of the design team for the stage 2 works that was selected following a WORLDWIDE RIBA design competition and applications to the Arts Council. This is based in a sensitive heritage former church in the Northern Quarter of Manchester.
Myerson Solicitors LLP's practice is made up of 'professionals who also have a practical background in construction,' including team head Neil Armstrong, whose engineering background enables him to provide 'clear, sound advice' to clients. Armstrong undertakes contentious and non-contentious work, such as handling adjudication proceedings, as well as advising developers on project procurement.
‘Pragmatic and sensible clear advice given in a timely manner by professionals who also have a practical background in construction so can talk the same language to other professionals in the team.’
‘Professional team, works to timescales accurately. I find Myerson to be knowledgeable across the entire property sector, from drafting commercial leases, JCT D&B Agreements, to litigation issues as well.’
‘Neil Armstrong leads the team and promotes clear sound advice from the perspective of understanding the delivery of the project and the commerciality driving it whilst protecting our position.’
‘We have a close relationship with Jeremy Lee, Mark Gillies and Akeel Latif. They regularly introduce funders, agents and other key contacts in the industry to us, going well beyond a normal client/solicitor relationship. They’re always available for a quick phone call to give the necessary advice.’
Renaker Build Limited
Mode Construction Services Limited
Peter Brown & Co LLP
Styles & Wood Limited
Manchester & Cheshire Construction
Salford Van Hire
Maple Sunscreening Limited
- Working for Styles & Wood on two contentious matters including a success in an adjudication and reviewing multiple contracts on their behalf.
- Advise Renaker Build Limited on contract reviews, sub-contract negotiations and a number of contentious matters. Supported them in relation to the contract negotiations for a new project where they are acting as contractor for Select Property Group.
- Advising Gladman on the construction documents, appointments and building contract for a number of retirement home projects. Assisted them in preparing a number of standard form documents.
Shoosmiths LLP is active in a wide range of construction matters in the North West market. Its contentious work covers the gamut of time, money and defects matters. In addition to advising on dispute avoidance, the team has a wealth of experience of litigation, arbitration and adjudication proceedings. On the non-contentious side, 'hugely knowledgeable and experienced' team leader John Cleaveley takes charge. Advice is rendered to consultants, contractors and funders on drafting and negotiating building contracts. Senior associate Stephanie Macpherson is also recommended for her work on construction disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Stephanie Macpherson; Katie O’Leary; Adam Stead
‘The construction team – headed up by John Cleaveley – is a close-knit team that has collective strength and resilience derived principally from a strong a people-focused ethic. John takes pride in developing his team collectively and as individuals, which from a client perspective provides the requisite comfort that they will work together to get things done. Working with this team always feels like a genuine collaboration.’
‘John Cleaveley is hugely knowledgeable and experienced. He understands our business and our key drivers. He knows what matters to us, and where we can take a view. He is ably supported by a well structured wider team which ensures that jobs can be done economically and efficiently at the right levels.’
‘Brilliant team, very responsive and helpful, make the legal process straight forward.’
‘John Cleavely is an experienced construction specialist but he also has a significant number of years of in-house experience. This gives John a unique level of empathy with the challenges and pressures of in-house life and an ability to provide support and insight beyond simply the technical legal matters at hand. John is an essential part of my advisory and wider professional support network!’
‘Stephanie Macpherson is a safe and reliable pair of hands. Stephanie knows what we need. Katie O’Leary is a promising paralegal, and Adam Stead is conscientious.’
‘John Cleaveley’s experience within the industry and with our company is excellent. He goes above and beyond client expectation. He is always easy to contact and responds quickly. He performs exceptionally well in client meetings and within negotiations with contractors to agree contract documents. Adam Stead also offers excellent service, he is proactive in his approach and is very easy to work with. ‘
‘Katie O’Leary is a great asset to Shoosmiths, she is highly efficient and works extremely hard to finalise documents etc particularly in relation to consultant appointments and warranties.’
Ask Real Estate
LendLease Construction Europe
The Restaurant Group
- Advised Cedar (Maple Oak) Limited on the drafting and negotiation of a design and build contract with associated professional appointments, security documents and pre-construction services/early work agreements for the design and construction of 245 private rented sector dwellings at Tower Works, Leeds. Project value £35million.
- Drafted and negotiated the construction contracts with the building contractor, consultants, sub-contractors and funders for Vita Group.
- Provided construction advice to XQ Developments during the negotiation of an asset sale of a 44 storey residential tower in the Greengate area of Salford. Value £80million.
BLM's construction practice is led by Jahanara Hussain, who has two decades of experience acting for a range of clients, including developers, local authorities, universities and contractors. She handles construction and engineering projects and is active in both the contentious and non-contentious aspects of construction.
Domis Construction Limited
Barton PM Limited
City Mews Limited
- Advising UCLan on its £200m masterplan to redevelop its campus. Advised on the construction of several large projects including a 78,500 square foot Student Centre building, a new 90,000 square foot public square, an engineering and innovation centre, a faith and spirituality centre and a student social space project as well as highway works.
- Acting for FICM Limited on its mixed-use development in Salford comprising 380 apartments and commercial space.
- Acting for Tibst on its mixed-use development comprising 183 apartments and four commercial units.
Freeths LLP's construction team in the North West is a core part of the wider national practice. It is well-placed to advise on high-profile developments, benefiting from synergies with the firm's real estate and corporate groups. Director Jennie Jones, who leads the team, has expertise in construction disputes and transactional work. Senior construction executive Joanna Merrick, who is active in contentious matters, is 'extremely knowledgeable, proactive, diligent'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Joanne Merrick is extremely knowledgeable, proactive, diligent with a sensible view on contentious issues, offering advice setting out risks as appropriate. Very conscious of the pressures on clients and consultants and their ability to respond timeously.’
MCR Property Group
Ilex Project Management Limited
Pure Residential and Commercial
Langdale Capital 1 Limited
- Advising Vabeld on the development of a luxury complex of 160 apartments.
- Reviewing and negotiating Gleeds’ appointment documents in relation to a variety of projects throughout the UK.
- Advising, drafting and negotiating the construction documents in relation to the development of a new retail unit to be leased by the Co-Operative with a 23-space acre car park off the A6 in the centre of the Lancashire village of Bolton le Sands.
JMW Solicitors LLP's practice strikes a balance between construction disputes and transactional matters, where it acts for contractors and developers. Andrew Rimmer has over three decades of experience handling both contentious and non-contentious work. The contentious side of the practice is also enhanced by the expertise of Helen Daley, who is particularly knowledgeable about the adjudication process, where she advises contractors and suppliers.
Other key lawyers:
Domis Construction Ltd
Bardsley Construction Limited
- Advising Domis Construction on a number of residential schemes in and around the city centre.
- Acted for Bardsley on a series of 6 adjudications concerning what is now the AC by Marriott Hotel at Cable Street in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. In a series of 6 adjudications all but one of which went the distance, battled successfully on technical issues; interpretation of amended contract clauses and the dispute in validity of payment notices challenging on the basis of technical content and timing.
Kuit Steinart Levy LLP is active in various industries, including renewable energy, housing, commercial development and waste management. Team head Charlie Tomlinson is knowledgeable about all of the major standard forms of contract. In addition to undertaking non-contentious (including strategic advisory) work, he is active in construction and infrastructure claims and has significant experience of arbitration, litigation and adjudication.
Emerson Group Limited
Hardwick Homes Limited
Heaton Group Limited
Legend Property Group Limited
Property Alliance Group Limited
Rayner Rowen Construction Limited
Regal Estates Limited
Urban Logistic Hubs Limited
Urban Logistics Limited
- Advised Property Alliance Group on the drafting and negotiation of construction documentation for a £60m hotel development in Manchester.
- Advising Rayner Rowen Construction on the development of a new Malmaison hotel in central Manchester.
- Advising Legend Property Development on the procurement of a waste-to-energy facility and industrial process plant in Cheshire.
Pannone Corporate LLP provides its clients with comprehensive support, which includes advice on contract formation and representation in disputes. The firm acts for both claimants and respondents in adjudications, and is also sought out in arbitration and litigation. Its team's sector expertise includes power, transport and rail. The 'incisive and pragmatic' Emma Judge, who heads up the group, has more than two decades of experience of contentious and non-contentious construction matters.
‘Small team, compares favourably and even betters City of London Silver Circle peers for a fraction of the price.’
‘Emma Judge is excellent – quick, commercial, incisive and pragmatic.’
Transport for Greater Manchester
NG Bailey Group of Companies
Geobear Commercial Limited
Geobear Infrastructure Limited
Anderton & Kitchen (Civil Engineers) Limited
- Representing Mercury Engineering in respect of disputes that have arisen with regards to alleged outstanding latent defects under a complex hospital PFI scheme.
- Represented NG Bailey in an adjudication brought against it by a sub-contractor, in respect of a dispute over its final account including its delay related loss and expense claim.
- Undertaking a due diligence review of the construction contracts and preparing associated schedule of enquiries for the purchase of the property and drafting for Burgaflex UK Limited.
SAS Daniels LLP is active in disputes work - with particular expertise in mediation - and transactional matters.
Slater Heelis LLP advises contractors and professional consultants, and its team garners praise for its 'great insight.' Its strong capabilities in contentious matters see it represent clients in adjudications and arbitration proceedings. The firm's non-contentious work includes handling urban development work. Matthew Grellier, who leads the team, has experience of contentious and non-contentious construction matters with a nexus to the hospitality and education sectors. Kenneth Salmon has advised developers and construction professionals on a broad range of construction matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘There is a particular focus to the team to be responsive to the client to ensure that advice and support is always available. The team have a great insight into the sector and understand the importance of maintaining good relationships, hosting a regular series of networking events. These events are well attended which demonstrates the trust and respect the sector have for the work of the team and have led to us generating business outside of our work with Slater Heelis.’
‘Matthew Grellier has an all-round experience of the construction and real estate sector. Having acted for both sides, his input into work with us has been a huge benefit to fully understand the risks and needs relating to our project. I have always found Matthew to be very approachable and to work in a positive and friendly manner.’
Brammer UK Limited
Rochdale Borough Council
Endeavour Multi Academy Trust
Novo Property Solutions Ltd
Odyssey Interactive Limited
- Advising Brammer UK Limited on contract documentation relating to a new office fit out in Manchester.
- Advising Rochdale Borough Council on contract documentation relating to the circa £3m redevelopment of the Rochdale Town Hall Square.
- Advising Endeavour Multi Academy Trust on contract documentation regarding works at Wightwick Hall School, Wolverhampton.