Best known for advising public and private sector clients on the recruitment or transfer of overseas workers into the UK, the team at DAC Beachcroft LLP is headed by Shahjahan Ali. Ali handles matters relating to immigration compliance, illegal working and licence revocations, international students, family migration, settlement, British citizenship, and European Free Movement rights. Clients range from businesses to educational institutions, charities, investors, entrepreneurs, and sportspersons.
Immigration in North West
DAC Beachcroft LLP
Other key lawyers:
University of Bristol
Genesis Cancer Care
- Advised University of Bristol on strategic immigration issues including advice in connection with visa applications and training on updates to immigration law.
- Advised Ultraleap in connection with sponsorship matters and in particular, applying for a visa under Tier 2 (General).
- Advised MyPinPad in connection with sponsorship matters, in particular on applying for a restricted CoS and applying for a visa under Tier 2 (General).
Though wide-ranging in scope, the business immigration team at DWF is particularly adept at securing Home Office sponsorship licences, and subsequently assisting with migrant sponsorship applications and advice on Home Office reporting obligations. Headed by John Dorney, the department has an impressive client base, including multinationals, FTSE 100 and AIM-listed businesses, and financial sector leaders. Areas of growth for the team include Brexit-related advice, right to work and unlawful working issues, and Tier 1 investor, Entrepreneur and Exceptional Talent Visa applications.
‘We have always found the team to be knowledgeable in the area of immigration. They are able to translate the requirements into workable solutions for their clients and ensure we understand our responsibilities.’
‘We have received advice and assistance from John Dorney, who has been extremely helpful in providing advice, making it easy to understand the issues. He is very up to date with his knowledge.’
adidas UK Limited
Airplus International (Part of Lufthansa)
Impellam Group PLC
Liberty Living PLC
NES Holding Group
Majestic Wine PLC
Munnelly Group PLC
Ultraserve Europe Limited
Western Thermal Limited
- Provided strategic advice to a PLC in respect of right to work issues, unlawful working and the civil penalty regime.
- Successfully challenged Home Office standing guidance by referral to its Policy Unit, allowing a multi-million pound engineering contract to be progressed.
- Successfully carried out mandatory surrender of existing and application for new Home Office sponsorship licence as part of DWF Group plc’s listing on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange.
The 'dynamic' team at Latitude Law continues to assist religious organisations wishing to sponsor part-time or full-time religious workers. Led by the 'diligent and strategic' Gary McIndoe, the firm is instructed on a wide range of Tier 1 matters, supporting all immigration categories for businesspeople and investors looking to relocate to the UK. The team has a presence across the North West tech sector and has a strong track record of representing firms looking to relocate employees to the UK from abroad, primarily from China. Associate Shara Pledger heads the firm’s corporate migration team.
‘A niche immigration law practice in Manchester specialising in dealing with those working in the UK who are not from the UK, and their family members. They are very knowledgeable and up to date on all the relevant issues.’
‘Gary McIndoe is fantastically user friendly. He knows his stuff, takes a pragmatic approach and genuinely wants to help people in what can be very difficult situations.’
‘The team at Latitude Law live and breathe immigration law and the key senior fee-earning team – Gary McIndoe, Shara Pledger and Gemma Wylie have an extraordinary grasp of both the black letter law and strategic/tactical steps necessary to secure the outcomes required by their clients. The fact that the majority of the corporate work is referred in by other law firms is testament to the quality of their work and service offered to clients.’
‘Gary McIndoe cares deeply about his work and clients. He is both diligent and strategic in his approach to each matter and takes real pleasure in his work – particularly in those matters where there are technical challenges.’
‘This is a dynamic team of solicitors who give top class advice.’
‘I have mainly worked with Shara Pledger who gives excellent service and is very responsive.’
‘There is a great care of clients in a highly professional friendly, courteous, welcoming manner. I always feel that I have been listened to and understood in the service that I am seeking. Nothing is too much trouble for Latitude Law. The company is highly skilled in what it does in seeking to settle any difficulties for clients in matters concerning immigration.’
‘Gemma Wylie is very professional and knowledgeable. Her advice is always accurate and clear.’
‘Outside of London, this firm is quite exceptional in its field of immigration matters.’
Salesians of Don Bosco
The Congregation Of The Passion Of Jesus Christ
Global Education Guardians
- Advised on numerous matters on behalf of Salesians of Don Bosco across all aspects of Tier 2 and 5 sponsor licensing.
- Secured UK entry clearance in the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent route for the CEO of Knowcross Solutions, a world-leading tech innovator in the luxury hotels sector.
- Advised Global Education Guardians’s CEO over many years, culminating in 2019 with the grant of settlement in the Tier 1 entrepreneur category.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's immigration team in Manchester is led by principal associate Simon Kenny, whose practice includes Tier 2 applications, Tier 1 Investor applications, Overseas Business applications, and advice on both the immigration and the employment issues arising from right to work checks. Immigration risk issues posed by Brexit continue to create new strands of work for the firm.
CDC Group Plc
LHR Airports Limited (Heathrow Airport)
Unipart Group Limited
Locksmith Animation Limited
Magir Limited trading as Medicare Pharmacy
The University of Sheffield
J Murphy & Sons Ltd
Müller UK & Ireland
- Operated a weekly immigration advice helpline for staff of the University of Sheffield as well as answering general queries raised by the HR team regarding immigration compliance.
- Advised J Murphy & Sons Ltd on various aspects of immigration sponsorship, their immigration compliance obligations, and the right-to-work check process.
- Advised Müller UK & Ireland on wider cross-border immigration implications of Brexit and how this may impact recruitment.