Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the North West in North West
Clients praise Aaron & Partners LLP for its ‘ability to handle any litigation matter without research time’. Among the team’s core fields of expertise are disputes relating to shareholder issues, corporate transactions, partnerships and restrictive covenants; it also handles contractual disputes, particularly those pertaining to the IT and logistics sectors. Nick Clarke heads the team, which includes John Devoy, hailed for his ‘superb attention to detail’ and David Mann who has a track record of handling cross-border disputes.
‘Ability to handle any litigation matter without research time that you have to pay for.’
‘Senior associate Bryony Cook and John Devoy are both superb in their attention to detail, speed of response and knowledge.’
‘The firm has a national reputation in specialist fields, particularly wind, solar and alternative energy sources and mines and minerals. The firm acts for major clients who are prominent in the onshore wind power sector and has in recent years represented clients in the development and construction of multi million pound wind farms, advising on all planning and property law aspects of the project. They have an impressive grasp of the issues. Likewise, for mines, mining and minerals the firm has developed a national reputation over many years and is a go-to adviser in this niche area.’
‘David Harries has impressive knowledge.’
Dŵr Cymru Ltd (t/a Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water)
- Representing Bryn Blaen Wind Farm Ltd and Others in a dispute where access to construct the Bryn Blaen Wind Farm was gained by a track across certain land, over which the claimant, Clochfaen Estates Ltd has sporting rights. Clochfaen brought proceedings against Bryn Blaen (and also the landowners and contractors) for substantial (though unspecified) damages, alleging that the use of the track and associated works was and will be a substantial interference with the rights.
DTM Legal LLP
DTM Legal LLP fields a ‘very tight team’ of lawyers who 'are always engaged and accessible’. Contractual disputes are a keystone of the practice, which is highly regarded for its cross-border expertise and focus on ADR. Practice head Jim Morris, who is hailed as ‘very committed’ and splits his time between Chester and Liverpool, frequently acts on boardroom and shareholder actions; his practice also extends outside of commercial litigation to include patent and trademark infringements.
‘A pleasure to deal with and very competent.’
‘Jim Morris and Richard Harris are both very committed to their clients and highly competent.’
‘This practice is unique in the way in which the lawyers operate. They are partner-led and all levels of fee earner looks after your matter. The partners are always engaged and accessible. This creates flexibility and speed without losing the key ingredient of experience.’
‘Very tight team and low numbers even on major disputes. Complete team knowledge across each other’s work streams. Consequently very efficient.’
‘I would say that engaging DTM is the next best thing to having an in-house legal team.’
‘DTM are a practice of practical professionals. I have engaged several of the partners on a variety of matters over a number of years and found everyone receptive and easy to speak to without any form of jargon creeping in.’
‘I would make special mention of Jim Morris, Guy Thomas and Kathryn Conifer as individuals who provide a speed of response and a depth of knowledge (and how to apply that knowledge most practically) that puts them significantly ahead of most others I have met in their field.’
‘Jim Morris is an excellent litigator. Tough, pragmatic, imaginative with good commercial judgement.’
Foundation Piling Limited
The Atmore Group
AAH Pharmaceuticals Limited
Dee Tech Services Limited
Vale UK Limited
Anwyl Construction Company Limited
Rotex Europe Limited (part of Hillenbrand Group listed on NYSE)
Pochin Construction Limited
The Pickstock Group
CRS Plant Limited
J Ross Developments Limited
Elements (Europe) Limited
Clancy Consulting Limited
Halls Auctioneers Limited
- Advised Marine Specialised Technology Limited in procurement claim against the MOD for breach of contract and in breach of procurement obligations. Proceedings were issued in the TCC in London with the matter settling on a confidential basis.
- Acted for Rotex Europe Limited in a complex case seeking a sum in excess of £38m which was listed for a 10-day trial in the Technology and Construction Court in London involving 10 factual witnesses, two engineering expert witnesses and two accountancy expert witnesses.
- Successfully obtained judgment for outstanding royalties in excess of £250,000 and dismissed a claim for misrepresentation for Johann Van Den Noort Beheer BC & Johann Van Den Noort, in a case involving cross-border patents and alleged infringement relating to the design and manufacture of a flood barrier, breach of a Licence Agreement, misrepresentation and damages.
Julia Norris and Kit Sorrell jointly head the team at disputes boutique FS Legal. Active on a broad range of litigation, Sorrell is an expert in contractual, shareholder and partnership disputes while Norris brings breadth to the practice with expertise outside of general commercial litigation including professional negligence and construction disputes. The broader team is also active in respect of manufacturing and engineering disputes as well as warranty claims.
Clients of Blackstar (Europe) Limited (in Liquidation)
- Instructed by George Urquhart, a football agent, initially in Anthony Barness & Ors -v- Formation Group PLC & Ors.
- Acting for a number of former clients of Blackstar (Europe) Limited (in Liquidation) in fraud and negligence claims where total losses sutained are estimated at £1bn.
At Gorvins Solicitors, practice co-head Mark Deverell is a star name for shareholder disputes and helms the dispute resolution practice alongside the ‘very personable’ Guy Lightowler, a property litigation specialist. Additional strengths outside of commercial litigation include insolvency related-litigation, finance disputes and contentious probate.
‘Responsive to client needs; good value; well versed in the law.’
‘Guy Lightowler: very personable, understands client needs, realistic and knowledgeable.’
‘We use the services of Gorvins Solicitors for all our legal questions as we believe that they have excellent all-round strength. Across all the departments that have people who are very good at their specialities and who are approachable, accessible and a pleasure to deal with.’
‘Guy Lightowler has been an enormous help to us with some very complex issues. He explains and summarises these issues to us with great clarity and guides us to the best way forward. He also understands the nature of our business and for these reasons we have great confidence in him.’
‘Guy Lightowler listens to our situation and explains it back in a very normal manner that is easy for non-legal people to understand.’
Williams Motor Company (Holdings) Limited
The Property Alliance Group (PAG) and subsidiaries
Avonside Group Services Limited (Avonside)
William Stobart Transportation/William Stobart
PAG Asset Preservation Limited/MB Vacant Property Solutions Limited
- Representing Williams Motor company (Holdings) Limited on various matters including trespass, breach of contract, warranty claims, Covenant and easement enforcement.
- Acting for PAG Asset Preservation limited/MB Vacant Property Solutions Limited in the successful defence and dismissal of a public interest petition.
- Acting for William Stobart in the successful defence of a substantial claim ongoing from a tax covenant.
Under the leadership of ‘creative, tenacious and powerful’ litigator, Adam Maher, Myerson Solicitors LLP is home to an ‘enviable range of quality across the board’. Maher has recently been active on a number of shareholder disputes while senior solicitor Suzanne Carr brings breadth to the team through her expertise in contract enforcement and termination along with damages for breach of contract. The dispute resolution team also handles IP, real estate, probate and banking litigation in addition to claims of professional negligence.
‘Very personable and on top of detail. Great with clients and advancing tier commercial objectives so as to maximise chances of success. The team know when to turn up and down the amplitude!’
‘Adam Maher is very able and personable. Easy to work with and effortlessly earns the trust of clients.’
‘Responsive to client needs; good value; well versed in the law.’
‘Great commercial Litigation team. Excellent client skills. Sensible and commercial.’
‘All individuals I’ve worked with are fantastic. Sensible and commercial in their approach. Adam Mayer has an excellent approach with clients showing the necessary empathy but also the right level of objectivity and commercial guidance for clients to negotiate a settlement well.’
‘Jonathan Hassall is client-friendly, diligent, constructive.’
‘Suzanne Carr has an excellent understanding of commercial agency disputes.’
AO World PLC/ AO Online
Hall and Co Projects
Freshasia Food Ltd
Bennet Holdings Ltd
CGL Group Ltd
Fortis Developments Ltd
- Acted for Crecy Publishing Limited as it was named as defendant in proceedings issued relating to a commercial debt.
- Acting for B & M Bargains Limited who were named as defendant in proceedings issued relating to an alleged GDPR breach.
- Acted for PWS in bringing a high-value commercial agency case against an American company.
A ‘leading litigation firm in the North West’, Napthens LLP is highly regarded for contract disputes. Practice head David Bailey's team includes the ‘incredibly experienced and knowledgeable’ John Whittingslow, along with the 'amazing' Andrew Holden, whose experience includes shareholder-related litigation. Away from commercial litigation, the team is also engaged for property, construction and energy-related litigation, in addition to professional negligence, regulatory prosecution and contested probate matters. Fatal and catastrophic accidents in the workplace are also a specialism, as are matters in the rural and leisure industries.
‘Napthens are a leading litigation firm in the North West. The quality of work attracted is at a level that would make them the envy of many city firms. The firm generates a good deal of litigation work through it’s highly regarded corporate team.’
‘John Whittingslow is incredibly experienced and knowledgeable and he provides clients with clear advice and strategy in the most complex of disputes.
‘Napthens enjoy true strength in depth, and a first rate service at very competitive cost.’
‘David Bailey deserves a special mention: he has steely commitment to his clients and the drive to bring cases to a successful conclusion.’
‘I have dealt with this team over several years and they consistently produce excellent and reliable work on our behalf. Having trust and confidence in the partnership is essential.’
‘I have great confidence in all the people I deal with. I know I can rely on them. I know they are highly professional in everything that they do. I know I will always get consistency. This makes this firm very easy to deal with. I could not ask for anymore.’
‘This practice is an excellent partner for ourselves to help us service our clients in the agricultural industry. They have both the knowledge and expertise to be able to understand our farmers and their businesses and have experts in all fields.’
I have been particularly impressed with Andrew Holden in litigation. I have a couple of farming clients with a very complicated case where they have been defrauded and they are extremely vulnerable and have literacy issues. Andrew dealt with them in the most amazing manner.’
Shua Ltd ( T/A Bongo’s Bingo )
Q Medical Technologies Ltd
NRG Group & Riverside Truck Rentals Ltd
Chorley Building Society
Daniel Thwaites Plc
- Representing Shua Ltd T/A Bongo’s Bingo in a case focussed upon whether the defendant owns the name and the concept because one of B/B’s co-creators was allegedly employed by them at the time of creation and was creating it for them.
The team at Brabners LLP is headed by Tom Smith who ‘provides clear and calm understanding of complex matters’. The department is active across a broad array of disputes; notable examples include director, shareholder and partnership-related litigation. Beyond commercial disputes, insolvency litigation and contentious probate litigation continue to be core areas of focus for Smith following his arrival at the firm in 2019.
‘Tom Smith is engaging and adaptable. He provides a clear and calm understanding of complex matters.’
‘Very impressed with their speed of dealing with the case.’
‘The vast majority of other legal firms with ask for a retainer before acting for you. The team at Brabners was more interested to see how he can help me. ‘
- Acting for national firm of insolvency practitioners in successfully claiming damages for breach of s212 Insolvency Act 1986 against a former director of a company in liquidation.
- Acting for a charity in a contractual dispute with its outsourced supplier of support services, arising from huge underperformance issues, with a view to terminating for breach or negotiating an agreed exit.
- Acting for a manufacturing company in a substantial claim arising from an alleged breach of a pre-engagement NDA.
Lawyers at Forbes Solicitors provide ‘quality advice and representation’ across a range of disputes including corporate and contractual-related litigation. The ‘calm and measured’ Michael Chambers heads the department, while recently promoted partner Stephen McArdle is a ‘pleasure to work with’ and is noted for his ‘wealth of experience’. Aside from commercial disputes, the firm's litigation department also handles contentious probate and property disputes in addition to construction litigation, claims of professional negligence and contentious insolvency matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are exceptionally client focused and responsive. Forbes Solicitors are our go-to firm.’
‘Stephen McArdle has a wealth of experience and he is a pleasure to work with.’
‘A professional and pragmatic approach. The team are willing to promptly respond to matters and provide comprehensive and detailed advice considering all options.’
‘A willingness to readily engage in dialogue and sound understanding of technical issues.’
‘Forbes have established themselves as a leading firm in the North, with a presence in Preston/Blackburn/Manchester. The firm has a clear vision as to what it wants to achieve and has made some very astute recruitment decisions to become a force in Lancashire and made serious in-roads within the city centre.’
‘Michael Chambers has driven the team within a relatively short period of time to become a real challenger to the larger and more established law firms in the North. Using his considerable experience, Michael has pushed into markets beyond the firm’s traditional locality and is now competing for class action litigation. Members very much appreciate his pragmatic approach to matters. Michael is calm and measured and a pleasure to work with but never loses focus as to what needs to be achieved (and does achieve)’.
‘The team provides quality advice and representation at the same if not higher level than city centre firms but at a more competitive cost and are very approachable’.
Begbies Traynor (Central) LLP
Croud Inc Limited
Cegedim RX Limited
Millenium Care UK Limited
Trust Inns Limited
- Recently appointed to act for Maryam Import and Export Ltd, a distributor of UK health care products in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait and UAE).
- Seeking damages and equitable compensation on behalf of Thermal Hire Ltd in the sum of £1.5m arising from negligent and /or fraudulent financial investment advice.
- Professional negligence claim on behalf of W & G Harrison arising from advice given during a business rates challenge.
Jolliffe & Co LLP
At Jolliffe & Co LLP, the ‘incredibly conscientious’ Stewart Burrows heads the practice, succeeding Andrew Bartley following his departure to the judiciary. The ‘friendly, client-focused’ service handles shareholder and partnership disputes and claims of a contractual nature. ADR, namely mediation and arbitration, serve as a keystone of the practice which is also adept in a range of matters outside of commercial litigation. Examples include breach of warranty claims, property litigation, professional negligence and probate matters, financial mis-selling and financial regulation disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Jolliffes has a quality litigation Team headed by Stewart Burrows. The firm sources good work on the back of its reputation as a friendly, client focused firm, providing a quality service to a large catchment area including Wales and beyond. Lawyers within the firm are very approachable and are rapidly developing a reputation as the leading litigation firm in the locality.’
‘Stewart Burrows is an experienced lawyer who is very pragmatic in his approach, often reaching the desired outcome by swift resolution rather than protracted litigation. Equally at home in the courtroom, Stewart’s preparation is immaculate with clear and concise instruction to counsel who very much value his approach. Stewart is incredibly conscientious and delivers a standard of service that would enhance any legal practice.’
‘Stewart Burrows is a pragmatic and robust litigator with an approachable and client-friendly manner. He is an excellent addition to the team at Joliffe & Co.’
The disputes lawyers at Butcher & Barlow LLP are praised for their ‘exceptional tenacity and exemplary client care skills’. Alexander Sandland, an ’excellent litigator’ oversees the department, which has core strengths in commercial and contractual matters. In addition to its commercial litigation offering, the firm has recently developed dedicated teams for property litigation and contentious probate and also handles a number of construction disputes. Professional negligence and disputed agricultural claims are also prevalent among the workload.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Butcher & Barlow have exceptional tenacity and exemplary client care skills. They are excellent litigators with a keen eye to detail and ADR. I would not hesitate in recommending their services for any dispute resolution requirements.’
‘Alex Sandland and Catherine Gregson are both excellent litigators. Not only do they strenuously support their clients and the claims brought by them or against them, they also make every effort to ensure that all avenues of settlement are explored. They maintain an incomparable professionalism in an area of law that is notoriously litigious, whilst ensuring the costs incurred remain entirely proportionate to the issues addressed.’
Joseph Holt Ltd
Fords of Winsford
Dutton Contractors Limited
Branley Homes Limited
NLH Sameday Limited
Thomas Property Group
Longton Estates Limited
- Retained by a substantial country estate which is a leading land owner in the North West. The team advises on an open brief for a multitude of disputes and prospective litigation.
- Acting on the multi-million-pound insolvency of Viking Trailers Limited.
- Instructed to act in relation to a substantial claim for damages and other losses in relation to a negligence claim affecting a £1m property development in South Wales.
The team at Farleys Solicitors LLP always ‘has a plan and executes it quickly’. Active on an array of disputes including contract claims and financial mis-sellings, the team is headed by Kieran O’Connor, an expert in shareholder disputes. Supplementing the commercial litigation offering is a wealth of expertise in IP litigation, commercial landlord and tenant matters, professional negligence claims and arbitration matters.
‘These guys take action, Mark Hague in particular. They have a plan and they execute quickly. They gave us very sound advice on a difficult matter involving multiple investors and directors who would not listen to solid business advice. Farleys made great of a bad situation. In comparison to other firms, Farleys is a take action and stand shoulder to shoulder firm.’
‘Mark Hague. Just awesome. Good comms, decisive and clear – felt as though he was one of our own taking the good fight to the front. Just brilliant.’
Harrison Drury & Co is ‘well-connected and respected in the market’, fielding a team best known for partnership, shareholder and contractual disputes, derivative claims including negligence, breach of duty and breach of trust, as well as director misfeasance matters. Aside from core commercial litigation, the practice, which is headed by Sean Gibbs, acclaimed for his ‘great touch with clients’, also actively handles reputational and privacy disputes, IP and sport-related litigation and claims against professionals.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is approachable, hardworking, and run by an intellectual powerhouse, Nick Booth. I was referred to the team by another Harrison Drury director, and my expectations were met and exceeded. From my perspective, the success of a dispute resolution team hinges on its ability to secure instructions, successfully execute them (hopefully to a positive outcome), and then, in spite of the inevitable anguish and exhaustion, be the clients first choice solicitor thereafter.’
‘The strength of the team was epitomised by Nick Booth. He has an innate ability to delegate, whilst maintaining complete oversight of his very capable team members without micro-managing them. Nick was quickly able to absorb and synthesize information, provide a clear and concise legal opinion and thereafter advice upon which we could initiate our next steps. At no point did I feel out of the loop, nor unclear about our future actions and the intended consequences of these.’
‘This is a very effective team litigating company and partnership disputes. A small play packing a big punch on this area of the law.’
AFC Fylde Limited
AM Packaging Corporation Limited
- Acting in High Court proceedings which have set judicial precedent on the interaction between the common law and FA Rules: Fleetwood Wanderers Limited (t/a Fleetwood Town Football Club) v AFC Fylde Limited  EWHC 3318 (Comm).
- Successfully applied to the court on behalf of a co-director and shreholder for an urgent injunction to prevent the company being put into administration.
- Acting for a private investor in a case revolving around details of the behaviour of the banks’ controversial GRG Division, which has received much negative media publicity in recent years.
An ‘experienced team’, providing a ‘professional and friendly’ service, KBL Solicitors LLP is well-regarded for a wide breadth of litigation matters. Michael Slater, praised for his ability to 'inspire confidence', heads the practice together with Greg Gardner-Boyes; their team's commercial litigation expertise includes company and partnership disputes with broader dispute knowledge extending to claims of professional negligence and insolvency in addition to construction, manufacturing and property-related litigation.
‘From the outset, the team, particularly Michael Slater, embraced our problem. Despite what was their already heavy caseload we felt that our complex problem was diligently analysed and legally summarised and given their full attention. Throughout, we were not just assisted but encouraged to expand on areas that we did not feel relevant but proved to be of vital importance. Without this diligent approach the matter would not have been resolved.’
‘Michael Slater was most approachable, enquiring, explaining his thought processes during interview. Michael also inspired confidence without which we would not have the strength and staying power for us to carry on. Most importantly we both felt that he brought home the reality of our situation by telling it how it was. The team and in particular Michael Slater were able to explain the legal complexities in an easy to understand way without any intimidation.’
‘A very experienced team that is able to provide a match for what is offered in the city centres at a fraction of the cost.’
‘Michael Slater is a great dealmaker who really looks after his clients. He knows from the outset the route through the case.’
‘KBL Solicitors are an extremely great solicitors firm and I would recommend this firm to everyone. They always help me as much as they can whenever I am in need of legal help. Furthermore, in all their work they do they are very accurate and keen in it.’
‘They are very friendly and talkative. If i was to move to a different firm, I don’t think I would have the same relationship with them like I do with KBL.’
‘They have great knowledge in many areas and able to engage various people within the practice without losing the thread of the issues in question.’
Clients praise SAS Daniels LLP for delivering ‘a service expected from one of the big Manchester firms’. Under the ‘excellent leadership’ of Anna Barnes, the commercial litigation team excels in relation to contractual, shareholder and partnership disputes along with urgent applications for injunctive relief. In addition, the broader disputes team handles claims of professional negligence, banking disputes, contentious probate and IP-related litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The service you would expect of one of the big Manchester firms but provided in Stockport. Geared to providing a quality legal service to private individuals and SMEs. Its strength stems from the excellent leadership of Anna Barnes that in turn is based on the experience that she has gained in working in a number of major litigation teams over the years.’
‘Anna Barnes brings a wide range of litigation experience that she can apply to all range of disputes. You would want her in your corner, as she is a fighter coupled with tactical and commercial acumen.’
Disputes handled by Slater Heelis include a range of company litigation such as shareholder, director and warranty disputes, all core strengths of practice head Elizabeth Wilkinson. Contractual disputes are a further forte of the team, which is reputed for its specialist tribunal work and focus on ADR. The wider litigation team is also engaged for construction, breach of contract, professional negligence, property and public law matters.
Other key lawyers:
HML PM Limited
Hampshire Property Investments
- Advising Vettana Ltd and Munir Ahmed on a matter involving a company which was allowed to be de-registered in Gibraltar but which had assets in the UK. Work involved reviving the company and negotiating with the administrators of a company in the UK in relation to the recovery of the assets.
- Acting on behalf of a Committee Member and an Ordinary Member (ex-Chairman) of a Mosque (which is a registered charity) relating to a major dispute within the Executive Committee wherein there were allegations of vote rigging, mis-management of funds as well as corruption.
- Acting for the client in a claim for specific performance of a contract of compromise involving a disposition of an interest in land.
Backhouse Jones is distinguished via its commercial disputes expertise in the transport sector, routinely handling litigation on behalf of bus, coach and road haulage operators, logistics businesses as well as trade associations. Steven Meyerhoff leads the practice, which excels in breach of contract claims and shareholder disputes though also handles matters beyond commercial litigation; examples include professional negligence and a broad variety of contentious IP matters.
Road Haulage Association
British Association of Removers Limited
Warrington Borough Transport Limited
Stagecoach Group PLC
- Advising on the Road Haulage Association collective proceedings claim in the Competition Appeal Tribunal which seeks to represent over 12,000 truck operators seeking damages arising out of an EC decision finding the major European truck operators guilty of anti-competitive practices. The case is pursued as an opt-in collective action under section 47B of the Competition Act 1998 and is the first of its kind.
- Advising the Road Haulage Association as part of the above collective proceedings on a discrete and preliminary issue regarding RHA’s Litigation Funding Agreement with Therium which could have changed the face of litigation funding within the UK as most funding agreements would be rendered unenforceable had we not have been successful.
Baines Wilson LLP
Baines Wilson LLP ‘adopts a can-do approach to dispute resolution’. Practice head Elizabeth Black's team handles a wide spread of litigation, including contractual, shareholder and partnership disputes. The wider disputes offering also includes professional negligence and IP-related matters in addition to construction and engineering-related litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is very much the client’s right hand man, and adopts a can-do approach to dispute resolution. Elizabeth Black and solicitor Imogen Duck both reflect this approach.’
- Represented a client in a claim against two former directors.
- Represent a client in a negligence claim against former auditors.
- Represented a client in relation to a claim for unpaid dividends.
Excello Law's offering is jointly led by the ‘very able commercial litigator’ Emyr Kerfoot along with Alexandra Collett, cited for her ‘first-rate understanding of commercial litigation’. Kerfoot tailors his practice towards shareholder and partnership disputes, while Collett is an expert in contract-related litigation. Clients include local companies, accountants, senior company offers, e-commerce retailers, manufacturers and private individuals.
‘I love how they communicate to me like they work with me, and not just cursory letters. We have open, honest and frequent conversations on matters, and those are very valuable. It’s nice to be able to pop in when driving past.’
‘I feel like Alexandra Collett is advising me like she truly cares. Not just a client, I feel like someone who really matters. Sometimes in litigation, due to costs and other factors it can feel uncomfortable, but when communicated to (sometimes by Whatsapp at my request) you can feel settled.’
‘Emyr Kerfoot is a very able commercial litigator with a wide client base. Other members of the team include Alex Collett who has a first-rate understanding of commercial litigation. Both are result-orientated and their clients benefit greatly from this.’
‘Whilst the team is not a traditional firm structure they act as though they are. They are happy to assist whether the case is large or small and treat all work with a high level of professionalism and they work as a cohesive team.’
‘Emyr Kerfoot is the standout person in the team who is very personable, professional and an expert in his field.’
‘They actually work together as a team and are extremely knowledgeable and as a result you have every confidence in the advice given. ‘
‘Emyr Kerfoot is extremely diligent, courteous and very knowledgeable in the sector with access to the right counsel for court work. Alex Collett is very on the ball and it is clear at meetings that she is fully prepared and efficient.’
Landlords of Barkway Golf Club
Bernadette Jones – Finance Director of a Pave-Aways Limited
- Acted in respect of an unfair prejudice petition; a very favourable settlement was achieved for the client, a finance director of a construction company, shortly before trial. Subsequently successfully recovering the majority of the client’s costs.
- Successfully acted on behalf of the landlords of Barkway Golf Club in proceedings brought against tenant of golf course and awarded costs on indemnity basis at trial.
- Favourably settled a substantial claim brought by a former partner of the Specialist Equine Veteinary Practice.
Hillyer McKeown LLP
Hillyer McKeown LLP’s key strengths lie in contractual and negligence claims, company and shareholder disputes and contentious probate, while the team also handles banking and IP litigation.
Mason Hayes Solicitors
At Mason Hayes Solicitors, the team’s track record of commercial litigation includes partnership and shareholder disputes in addition to breach of contract claims. Broader expertise spans trademark and copyright infringements, telecoms disputes, defamation matter and injunctive proceedings.
The result of the merger of Freeman Fisher and Primas Law, Primas ‘quickly and clearly provides advice in a client friendly way’. The team handles a broad range of commercial litigation including shareholder disputes, director removals and director disqualification proceedings. Led by Daniel Thomas, the litigation department also supports clients on insolvency, financial litigation, professional negligence, defamation and IP matters.
‘Alex Megaw is an exceptional solicitor who has helped myself greatly in difficult circumstances.’
‘The service is second to none. They quickly and clearly provide advice in a client friendly way. They are a very reputable firm – providing a big firm service from a small firm environment.’
‘Louise Goodwin is a fantastic associate; she quickly grasps ideas, disseminates information and turns around concise advice within a good time. She also appears to have good commercial awareness which is a necessity with any litigation solicitor. Would highly recommend.’
- Acting for a director and shareholder of company in the home and leisure industry in respect of corporate dispute with co-director/shareholder. The case has a value of c.£5m and involves the client bringing injunctive proceedings and a claim pursuant to s994 Companies Act 2006.
- Acting for a director and shareholder of a prominent Irish manufacturing business in defence of s994 proceedings.
- Acting on unfair prejudice petition issued by one of four shareholders following the failure of three shareholders to provide dividends and unilaterally investing the company funds into a further development project which was unsuccessful.