Licensing in North West
Kuit Steinart Levy LLP has an 'outstanding reputation' for licensing work; it acts for a range of national multi-site operators, property developers and individuals, and is well-known for its hospitality and leisure sector expertise. The team advises on a full range of licensing matters and is regularly instructed on high-profile licensing mandates. In the commercial and residential property sector, the team is increasingly advising on provisional licensing to clients with large leisure portfolios. The team also stands out for its experience in obtaining new premises licences in areas of cumulative impact. Anthony Lyons , who is a 'real leader in the field' and 'oozes charm', and the 'exceptional' Felicity Tulloch lead the team. Associate Rebecca Ingram is'very strong on client service'.
Anthony Lyons; Felicity Tulloch
Other key lawyers:
The team works in well collaboration with its clients
The team is always on hand for advice
It is extremely responsive
Brew Dog Bars
The New World Trading Company (UK)
Revolution Bars Group (trading as Revolution and Revolucion de Cuba)
Turtle Bay Restaurants
Individual Restaurants Company (Piccolino, The Restaurant Bar & Grill, Gino D’Campo)
Somerset House Trust, London
The Alchemist Bar & Restaurant
- The team is advising celebrity chef Gino D’Acampo on the expansion of his eponymous restaurant chain, a joint venture with the Restaurant Bar & Grill group of companies.
- Team assisted the client on Brewdog’s acquisition of the 14 strong Draft House estate of bars and pubs located in London and the South East of England.
- The licensing team continues to advise on numerous matters for national property company Bruntwood Estates, the most prominent of which is Circle Square, on the site of the former BBC HQ in Manchester, where the team obtained 12 licences in principle for a new city centre commercial and residential development.
- The team continues to advise Turtle Bay on its rapid nationwide expansion, and has obtained licences this year for new sites in towns and cities including Durham, Southend and Uxbridge.
- The team has advised The Alchemist on its continued expansion nationwide, and the team has advised them on obtaining licences in 2018 for new sites in towns and cities including City Road in Hackney, London and St. Martin’s Lane in Westminster, London.
DAC Beachcroft LLP provides licensing advice in complex and high value matters. Although it handles license applications, the team is best known for its ability to provide commercial solutions on strategic licensing requirements. The team acts for a range hospitality, sports, leisure, health and public sector clients, and it is increasingly instructed by real estate and commercial property clients such as large shopping centres and investor landlords. Jan Levinson heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Manchester United Football Club
MITIE Facilities Management
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
Epping Forest District Council
Department of Education
Design Reach Limited
Chester West and Cheshire Borough Council
La Salle (Investments for BAE Systems Pensions Fund Trustees Limited)
City and Country Hotels
- The team advised City and Country Hotels on the acquisition of a new premises licence for a new boutique hotel at Langley Hall in South Buckinghamshire.
- The Team continues to provide advice to the pension fund on licensing issues that arise in respect of property within its portfolio.
- The team advised Lendlease in respect of its Touchwood Solihull shopping centre on the permissions needed to provide alcohol at Christmas markets.
- The team advised Teesside University on the licensing arrangements of its onsite bar.
- The team continues to advise the hospital in respect of local licence applications.
DWF is experienced in handling licensing mandates across the food, sports, hospitality and retail sectors and the team regularly advises on matters across the UK. Senior associate David Crank who is 'very experienced' heads the team.
Colcaster SARL Group
Battersea Power Station Project
Manchester Metropolitan University
- Advised Battersea Power Station Development on licences to allow tenants to trade in licensable activities and facilitated the development of the retail and leisure element of the first phase of the Power Station development.
- Advising Village Hotels on on-site licensing requirements and on the application for new licences as it increases the size of its hotel portfolio.
- Advising Powerleague Group on the licensing aspects of a CVA for the operational business Powerleague Fives Limited, which included working with the client and accountants to ensure that the premises licences remained live by transfer of portfolio of licences as the CVA was activated to allow continued trade.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP stands out for its experience in licensing and gambling law and is active across the hospitality, leisure, gambling and retail sectors. It regularly acts for hotel operators and owners, retail and online gambling sector clients, as well as real estate developers, landlords and occupiers. Principal associate David Roberts heads the licensing team.
Genting Casinos UK
Buzz Bingo Group (formerly Gala Bingo)
The Football Pools
Central England Co-operative
Manchester International Festival
- Advised Genting on the offshoring to Malta of its online gambling operations, which included advice and guidance on the necessary applications to the UK Gambling Commission for an operating licence for the new company, reviewing and advising in respect of operational policies and procedures, and advising in conjunction with Maltese counsel on differences in local regulatory requirements and strategies to overcome conflicting obligations of the relevant regulators.
- Represented Manchester International Festival on its application for a premises licence for a cultural events programme in Manchester before the Manchester City Council Licensing Committee.
- Advised Hilton Worldwide on a premises licence for a new hotel under the Hampton by Hilton brand at Edinburgh Airport.
- Supported Buzz Group (formerly Gala Leisure) on the licensing implications arising out of its re-branding from Gala Bingo to Buzz Bingo across its UK retail estate.
- Advised Kambi on multi-jurisdictional gambling regulatory advice for potential new markets.
Napthens LLP stands out for its 'pragmatic' and 'commercial' approach and the team works with clients in the leisure sector to handle the licensing requirements of breweries, pub chains, restaurant groups, nightclubs, off-licenses and hotel groups. Its client-base ranges from single-site operators through to large brewers and pub-owners. Department head Malcolm Ireland 'goes the extra mile' and is an 'exceptional licensing lawyer; he is strong technically'. Solicitor Samantha Faud is also a key figure.
Other key lawyers:
Malcolm Ireland is charismatic and energetic
The firm stands out for its great customer service
The licensing team is very strong and offers the right blend of technical knowledge, commercial good sense and empathy
Malcolm Ireland is very good at summarising a situation up quickly and is able to adapt his approach
Seafood Pub Company
Holt Pub Company
Inglenook Inns & Taverns
Blind Tiger Inns
- Defended Switch Leisure in summary review proceedings following a serious incident of violent disorder in a venue covered by the same premises licence.
- Represented Little Dog on an application to vary its premises licence to remove restrictions and increase hours.
- Represented Southport Pier Café a contested hearing to obtain a premises licence to allow licensable activities to be carried on at the end of a pier up to 03:00am each day.
- Advised Titanic Brewery on a premises licence at a train station.
Brabners LLP is best known for its expertise in firearms and shotgun licensing work and the team acts for a number of registered firearms dealers. Team head Lachlan Nisbet operates across the firm's Liverpool, Manchester and Preston offices.
‘Strongest firearms licensing team in the UK. Depth of numbers and experience. No one comes close.’
‘Lachlan Nisbet has amassed a wealth of experience in this field. He is efficient and knows exactly what is needed.’