Specialising in shipping law, Adepetun, Caxton-Martins, Agbor & Segun maintains a strong reputation acting for ship owners and financiers in ship finance and acquisition transactions, as well as representing ship owners, P&I clubs and charterers in litigation. Senior advocate Funke Agbor leads the team, which includes Chisa Uba, a recent appointee to to the Nigerian Maritime Law Association, a committee tasked with reviewing and implementing reforms to the laws governing admiralty practice in Nigeria. Senior associate Mojisola Jaiye-Gbenle is recommended for ship registration, charter party agreements, cargo claims and ship arrests.
Shipping and transport in Nigeria
Funke Agbor; Chisa Uba
Other key lawyers:
‘The team’s knowledgebase and hands-on experience of the shipping and transport industry has been very valuable to my organisation. They provide bespoke advice.’
‘Funke Agbor stands out for her knowledge based and business savvy approach to advising clients.’
‘In my view, ACAS are one of the top shipping teams in Lagos. They provide a full service and have good working relationships with the local authorities. ’
‘We have good working relationships with Funke Agbor, Chisa Uba and Mojisola Jaiye-Gbenle. They have all proved to be responsive and concise in their advice and assistance.’
‘We used ACAS for a series of Nigerian court cases. The outcome of the cases were both successful and this was largely due to ACAS’s expert assistance. Our experience with the team was very positive. ACAS was generally very responsive and user friendly.’
‘ACAS were cost-conscious and we found their services to be value for money.’
Ship Owners Club/ Dredging Environmental and Marine Engineering NV
Maersk Supply Limited
Ocean Deep Drilling Nigeria Limited
Nigserve Energy Services Limited
Neptune Subsea AS
AP Moller- Maersk AS
Team Offshore Nigeria Limited
Specialised Vessels Services Limited
Hyundai Heavy Industries Company Ltd
MMA Offshore Limited
Charter Marine Africa
L. A. T. C. Marine Limited
London Offshore Consultants
Golden Energy Offshore
Topaz Energy and Marine
- Advised First E & P on lease and importation of the Stybarrow FPSO for use on the development of its Anyala and Madu Fields
- Representing Dredging Environmental and Marine Engineering NV/Shipowners Club in an appeal against a judgment in its favour to the effect that it can limit its liabilities for any damages arising from its dredging activities in the Eko Atlantic Project in Lagos State
- Represented Noble Drilling Nigeria Limited in an appeal against the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency and the Minister of Transportation to challenge application of the Coastal and Inland Shipping (Cabotage) Act to drilling rigs and drilling operations before the Supreme Court.
At AELEX, the pre-eminent Nigerian firm for shipping and aviation, a team of expert lawyers including Lawrence Fubara Anga, Adedapo Tunde-Olowu and Akinloye Ajayi advise airlines, banks, lessors and insurers on wet and dry shipping and maritime disputes. In the aircraft space, the team frequently act for airlines in respect of passenger, cargo and baggage claims and insurance disputes. The practice also handles product liability issues, registration, securitisation and recovery of aviation assets within Ghana and Nigeria.
Lawrence Fubara Anga
Other key lawyers:
Adedapo Tunde Olowu; Akinloye Ajayi
- Advising Seacor Marine, a multinational company that strategically deploys vessels offshore in Mexico, Latin America, the North Sea, West Africa, and Southeast Asia on its proposed structure for cabotage trading in Nigerian waters.
- Worked as part of the legal team drafting and reviewing the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency Act.
- Advising KLM Airlines on the setting up of a subsidiary company which is to provide third-party maintenance services.
Boasting an impressive offering in wet and dry shipping, Banwo & Ighodalo leverages its top-tier expertise in ship finance, marine insurance, restructuring, charter party disputes and other facets of maritime litigation. The firm is also involved in nationally significant PPP transportation projects, such as its advice to the Government of Akwa Ibom State on the development and regulations in respect of the Ibom Deep Sea Port Project, positioned to be the first major trans-shipment hub for the West and Central African region. Ken Etim and Kehinde Ojuawo are the key partners.
Ken Etim; Kehinde Ojuawo
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Banwo & Ighodalo is experienced, professional and great to work with. They have always completed their assignments on time and are always on hand to answer any questions that I may have. We have been using them for five years now and have no regrets!’
‘The team is technically strong and will deliver a sound product.’
‘Ken Etim is a very good lawyer – he is hands-on and very personable.’
‘Ken Etim and Kehinde Ojuawo are very competent partners and they provide innovative solutions to complex issues in their areas of expertise.’
‘They are very proactive and efficient. A diversified team with experts in different sectors which brings confidence to any client.’
‘Excellent and knowledgeable team of lawyers who are subject matter experts and trusted advisers.’
‘The team are very dedicated to customer support and satisfaction. Our contact person, Tunji Adeyemi, is very dedicated and committed to customer satisfaction – he responds to emails and telephone calls promptly.’
‘Very responsive and practical team advising on Nigerian asset finance/shipping queries.’
Bourbon-Interoil (Nigeria) Limited
Bourbon Offshore Interoil Shipping – Navegacao LDA
Investec Bank Plc.
Akwa-Ibom State Government of Nigeria
Schlumberger (OneSubsea Offshore Systems Nigeria Limited, Cameron Flow Control Technology Nigeria Limited and Cameron Valves & Measurement West Africa Limited)
Thome Group of Companies
TOG Shipping and Offshore Management Nigeria Limited
Petromarine Nigeria Limited
Petromarine Engineering Services Limited
BMS United Bunkers (HK) Limited
Germanisher Lloyd Nigeria Limited
IHC Parts and Services West Africa Limited
MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company SA
Global Process Systems Inc.
Karpower International B.V
Aramex Delivery Services Limited
Dangote Oil Refinery Limited
TSL Logistics Limited
Mars Aviation and Shipping Corporation
- Advised Walmart Inc. on Nigerian legal and regulatory requirements in relation to its International Trade Compliance Program, which entailed a comprehensive review and assessment of the ITC Program to determine relevant compliance issues and specific legal advice on mitigating potential risks in the export processes for its business in Nigeria.
- Advised Dangote Oil Refining Company in relation to the shipment of various heavy duty equipment from various European and Asian seaports to be utilized in the integrated refinery and petrochemical complex project in the Lekki Free Trade Zone, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Advised Investec Bank in relation to the restructuring of the charterparty arrangements in respect of MDPL Randeep and IPL Anjali with a Nigerian shipping company.
G. Elias & Co has a strong reputation in the transportation industry, and is particularly active in road and rail infrastructure development, project lending, M&A and aviation insolvency work. Standout mandates include working on the first airport terminal (the MMA2 terminal) to be privately operated for public carriers, and in the contentious space, the team has advised Dana Airlines on personal injury claims against, and insurance claims, by it as a result of an aircraft crash. Gbolahan Elias, Fred Onuobia and Segun Omoregie are the key names.
Gbolahan Elias; Fred Onuobia; Segun Omoregie; Fidelis Adewole
‘The team is very efficient. What I love most about working with them (in no particular order) is: efficient timelines and periodic updates without prompting; knowledge on whichever subject matter; very generous with the details; and partner engagement.’
‘Fred Onubia offers direct participation in the client’s project and is prompt in responding and engaging with client. The amount of information you can get on an hour’s phone call with Fred is immeasurable.’
Multipro Consumer Products Limited
Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria
Posh Semco PTE Limited
Summit Oil International Limited
M-KOPA Solar Nigeria Limited
IMA Zambia Ltd
Management Transformation Limited
African Finance Corporation
Lagos State Government
Caverton Offshore Support Group Plc
Nigerian Shippers Council
Dana Airlines Limited
- Advising Multipro on its spin-off and divestment valued at $450m of its road haulage and sales and distribution business to Kellogg Company.
- Advised the Lagos State Government on the said debt issuance programme of about $263m for the finance of social infrastructure projects, including but not limited to construction and rehabilitation of bad roads, in Lagos State.
- Advising the Lagos State Government on the financing of $207m for the construction and development of a Metro Rail Red Line Project of about 25 kilometres within Lagos State.
Aluko & Oyebode fields a team of maritime litigators who are adept at representing ship owners, P&I clubs, charterers, cargo underwriters and bunker suppliers in a variety of shipping disputes. The team also advise on the leasing, purchase and acquisition of ships and aircraft. Practice head Mark Mordi has extensive experience in advising on aviation and maritime transactions and disputes involving cargo claims and arrests. Fellow partners Oghogho Makinde and Tonye Krukrubo are recommended for transactions and contentious work respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Oghogho Makinde; Tonye Krukrubo
Bloomfield Law Practice's has an active shipping practice advising on matters such as finance, leasing and corporate transactions, as well as representing clients in high-stakes litigation. Adedoyin Afun is the primary contact, responsible for managing the firm's portfolio of shipping and aviation sector clients and leading on financing and leasing transactions and contentious work.
Telford Offshore Limited
Garrets International AS
Waypoint Leasing Holdings Ltd
Quest Shipping Limited
Ejovi Dredging and Marine Services Limited
Shipowners Claims bureau Inc (American Club)
MDPL ANJALI MI Limited
Sea Transport Services Nigeria Limited
Smart Tankers Inc
KPI Bridge Oil AS
- Advising Telford Offshore Limited on proposed sale of its Offshore Support Vessels en bloc to a Nigerian shipping company.
- Advised Waypoint Leasing Holdings Ltd, the largest independent global helicopter leasing company, on the Nigerian law aspects of the sale of its helicopter assets and management platform portfolio to Macquarie Rotorcraft Leasing, for about $445m.
- Advised and acted as counsel to Garrets International SA & Neptune Marine (Garrets) in an Admiralty action in rem before the Federal High Court (Lagos) for the arrest of the Defendant’s vessel arising from non-payment of crew wages and other services provided for the operation of the vessel, which was resolved successfully out of court.
Paul Usoro & Co
Paul Usoro & Co managing partner Mfon Usoro is a well respected expert in the maritime field, spearheading the firm's offering for clients with regards to maritime, aviation, project finance and energy matters. She is highlighted for her extensive knowledge in shipping law, international trade, regulations and commercial matters in Nigeria and across West Africa. The practice also handles aviation finance and assists with the registration and litigation on behalf of airlines and aviation leasing companies.
Abdulai, Taiwo & Co specialises in corporate law and PPP/PFI projects in the realm of infrastructure, transportation and utilities. Ladi Taiwo is the founding partner and key contact for aviation and maritime law. Senior associate Kunle Ayansola focuses on energy, water resources, infrastructure and PPP projects, and is recommended for designing and negotiating Power Purchase Agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Marina Express Train Services Ltd.
Federal Ministry of Transport (Aviation)
CRCC Construction Co. Ltd.
CRCC International Investments Group Ltd; Hong Kong
African Refinery Port Harcourt Ltd.
La Terre Batiment Ltd.
- Representing CRCC Construction Co. Ltd. as the project sponsor in the $250m Ibadan Inland Dry Port Project.
- Advised CRCC International Investments Group Ltd. of Hong Kong – Project Sponsor of the $353m 26km. toll road to Lekki Port, on due diligence, transaction structuring, project security and preparing and negotiating Build Transfer Agreement.
- Advising African Refinery Port Harcourt Ltd. in the Bonny Export Terminal (BET) Project on the “Resuscitation, Upgrade, Management and Maintenance” of the Bonny Export Terminal on PPP basis.
Akabogu & Associates
Emeka Akabogu specialises in shipping law and maritime regulations and policy in Nigeria. He chairs the Akabogu & Associates practice; he is recognised in the market for representing a range of domestic and international clients in the shipping, energy, logistics and aviation industries. Key areas of work include admiralty claims, cargo representation, marine insurance and assisting foreign clients on Nigerian law aspects such as registration, waivers and licenses, restricted trades and joint ventures.
Luke Chukwudi Ilogu at Foundation Chambers has over 40 years' experience of advising on shipping transactions and maritime disputes, often representing P&I clubs, shipping lines, port terminal operators and oil and gas companies. He regularly consults for the National Assembly, Federal Ministry of Transport and major maritime parastatals in Nigeria on maritime policies and legislation.
Luke Chukwudi Ilogu