Real estate and construction in Nigeria
Aluko & Oyebode generates mandates from a diverse roster of clients, including private and institutional investors, developers, property portfolio companies and financial institutions. It assists clients with all stages of investment transactions, real estate development and finance, leases and regulatory compliance. Adeniyi Adegbonmire is the lead partner.
Olumide Osundolire leads the real estate, infrastructure and construction team at Banwo & Ighodalo. Its varied client base includes government agencies, financial institutions, investors and developers. The scope of its work includes property transactions, the construction of residential and corporate developments, and infrastructure projects. Olamide Oshikoya is another partner to note for high-value real estate acquisitions and sales.
Corona Schools Trust Council
Palton Morgan Holdings Limited
Titan Trust Bank
North West Quadrant Development Company FZC
- Advising Corona Schools Trust Council on its $1.7m acquisition of a large parcel of land situated within the Festival Town of Lagos State.
- Advising Palton Morgan Holdings Limited on its ₦240m acquisition of a large expanse of land in Lagos State to be developed into residential estate.
- Advising Connect Rail Services Limited on its acquisition of a large expanse of land situated by the water-front in Lagos State to be used for the construction of a jetty facility.
G. Elias & Co has a strong profile among foreign and Nigerian investors, as well as developers. Its work spans all sub-sectors of the real estate industry, including retail, offices, hospitality, logistics and residential. The team assists clients with asset acquisitions and disposals, finance transactions, concession agreements and zoning and regulatory matters, among others. On the contentious side, the firm also fields a strong team of litigators with experience of acting for real estate developers in commercial, contractual and construction-related disputes. Managing partner Gbolahan Elias works with Fred Onuobia and Lynda Chinweokwu.
Udo Udoma & Belo-Osagie's presence in the Nigerian real estate market dates back over 30 years. It acts for domestic and international clients on land acquisitions, foreign investment approvals, and the financing and construction of major real estate projects. Managing partner Aniekan Ukpanah leads the team, which has been advising promoters, developers and investors on the construction and development of Jabi Lake Mall; on completion, this will be the largest mall in Nigeria.
‘The team showed excellence in its teamwork, openness and communication, and the very professional way it handled all activities related to us as a client. Communication and engagements with the team showed the level of in-house engagement with the team in the resolution of issues.’
Union Bank of Nigeria PLC
Cummins West Africa Limited
International Finance Corporation
The Incorporated Trustees of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Nigeria
- Advising Union Bank of Nigeria PLC on its disposal of various real property assets across different states in Nigeria.
- Assisting Agility Logistics (through its Nigerian subsidiary) with the acquisition of 50 hectares of land from the Ogun State Government for the construction of a logistics hub.
- Advising KCSSA West Africa Limited on the acquisition of a factory in Ikorodu Lagos State, measuing approximately eight hectares.
Bloomfield Law Practice demonstrates strong credentials acting for developers and investors; its work for these clients covers the sale, acquisition and development of commercial buildings, residential projects, hotels and shopping malls. Adedoyin Afun is advising Purple Capital on a group restructuring to create a leading real estate subsidiary.
Purple Capital Partners
Maryland Mall Limited
Garnet Homes limited
Bukkha Hospitality Limited
Purple Real Estate Development Company
- Assisted solar power generation company Middle Band Solar One Limited (“MBSO”) with the negotiation of compensation due to landowners affected by the right of way at a 100MW PV solar generation facility in Lokoja, Kogi State.
- Advising Bridges and Stones Property on the proposed development of a residential real estate complex in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja, Nigeria.
- Advised Fluid Power Marine Services on the negotiation of a lease for a ship yard and jetty (for the mooring of liftboats) in Warri, Delta State, Nigeria.
Templars' diverse portfolio of work includes acquisitions and disposals, planning applications, environmental matters, lettings, sale and leaseback arrangements, and real estate finance. It has a particularly strong record of advising clients on many of the largest and most significant construction projects in Nigeria; its work has covered tolls, roads and bridges, power and water plants, among other areas. Chike Obianwu, Yemisi Awonuga and Desmond Ogba are recommended.
Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria,
Total E&P Nigeria Limited
Lekki Port LFTZ Enterprise Limited (Project Company)
Rand Merchant Bank
- Advising Lekki Port LFTZ Enterprise Limited (as the project company) and Tolaram Group (as the project sponsor) on the development and $1.34bn financing of a greenfield integrated deep sea port in Ibeju Lekki in Lagos State.
- Advised Chapel Hill Denham (as lender) on the provision of a ₦1bn secured facility to Student Accomod8 Limited (as sponsor) and Purpose Built Student Accommodation Limited (as Borrower) for the purpose of developing student hostels at selected universities in Nigeria.
- Acted as Nigerian legal counsel to International Finance Corporation and others (as lenders) on their circa $1.2bn financing of the expansion of an existing urea fertiliser complex owned and operated by the Indorama Eleme Fertilizer & Chemical Ltd, from a 1.4 MTPA to a 2.8 MTPA capacity.
Jackson, Etti & Edu
Jackson, Etti & Edu provides legal support to investors, financiers, purchasers, vendors and property development companies on large-scale real estate projects across Nigeria. Its team's experience includes acquisitions, developments, leasing, joint ventures, finance transactions and final exits. Folasade Olusanya, Taiwo Adeshina, Koye Edu and senior associate Kingsley Opia-Enwemuche are key contacts.
Olajide Oyewole LLP's real estate department benefits from its alliance with DLA Piper Africa, with the firm being able to leverage global expertise in multijurisdictional transactions. Abutu Odu, who is 'a seasoned real estate professional', focuses on complex and high-value property acquisitions, major joint ventures and construction developments. He is also knowledgeable about zoning, sub-division and land use.
‘Good knowledge of the industry, relevant laws applicable to specific issues that arise from time to time.’
‘They have qualified and highly ethical partners as well as staff members. The firm’s partners provide personal attention to our company’s various projects. Although they are a large firm, they operate as a “boutique firm”, which gives us the required comfort and peace of mind.’
‘In the real estate division at the firm, Abutu Odu is the one that stands out. Odu is a seasoned real estate professional in all our projects, and he has always been able to represent us in the most professional and ethical manner. Abutu works around the clock, always available no matter what.’
Broll Property Services
Boulos Enterprises Ltd
DHL Intl. (Nig.)
Eko Pearl Ltd
Cappa & D’ Alberto Plc
First World Communities Ltd
- Advised Aguda Properties on the acquisition of land for the development of a residential estate and estate management.
- Advised Cappa & D’Alberto on the renewal/extension of the term of years of a development lease with respect to blocks of residential apartments located at Probyn Road, Ikoyi, Lagos originally owned by the Lagos State Development and Property Corporation.
- Advised the lessee, DHL International Nigeria, on the structuring of the transaction for the construction and lease of an office complex development located at Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.