Energy and natural resources in Nigeria
AELEX's full-service practice covers all legal, regulatory and policy issues impacting the energy and natural resources sector. The team handles all commercial and fiscal matters connected with power, oil, gas, mining and renewable energy transactions. It also advises on energy and utilities finance, M&A and joint ventures, as well as related matters, such as distribution and supply, off-take and tolling arrangements. Soji Awogbade is knowledgeable about the development, supply and distribution of gas and power, and also the associated commercial, environmental and regulatory aspects of projects. Olusina Sipasi's experience spans gas sales and transportation issues, the establishment of gas processing facilities and environmental obligations concerning project development.
All Grace Energy Nigeria
Benue Minerals Limited
Groupe TCA Internationale SA
Mobil Petroluem Nigeria (Unlimited)
- Advising Dubri Oil Company on the construction of a 25 MMSCFD capacity skid-mounted gas processing plant valued at $50m.
At Aluko & Oyebode, practice chair Kofo Dosekun undertakes a varied mix of commercial, corporate finance, foreign investment and energy regulatory work. Project finance transactions are another key area of activity; in one highlight, the firm acted as Nigerian counsel to the Guaranty Trust Bank on the provision of a $110m loan facility to a Malta-based asset company and a Nigerian project company for the construction of a 48km crude evacuation pipeline. Name partner Gbenga Oyebode, Oghogho Makinde and Oludare Senbore are recommended.
Azikel Petroleum Limited Yes
Guaranty Trust Bank PLC
Africa Finance Corporation (AFC)
Velem Limited and VFuels
Powerchina Huadong Engineering Corporation
- Advising Azikel Petroleum Limited on the development and financing of a hydro skimming refinery complex.
- Acting as Nigerian counsel to the Africa Finance Corporation on its debt and equity capital investment in Thor Explorations group, which has subsidiaries in the mining sector in Nigeria.
- Acted as Nigerian counsel to the Powerchina Huadong Engineering Corporation as the contractor/lender on a $32.6m loan for the development of a 39MW on-grid hydro-electric power plant in Gombe state, Nigeria.
Banwo & Ighodalo's experience of the the oil and gas sector spans the acquisition and disposal of petroleum assets, crude/gas supply arrangements, oil and gas financing and corporate restructuring. The team continue to be involved in the development of Okpai Power Project (Phases I and II) which are the first successfully completed Independent Power Project since the commencement of the power sector reforms in Nigeria. Managing partner Ken Etim leads the group, which includes Stella Duru, Kehinde Ojuawo and Akindeji Oyebode.
Board of Trustees Ogoni Trust Fund
Bureau of Public Enterprises
- Advised Siemens Nigeria on the local acquisition and integration of the assets of Dresser-Rand Nigeria following a global acquisition of its parent company, Dress-Rand.
- Acting as Nigerian project counsel to Seplat on the development, financing, building and operation of the proposed Assa North/Ohaji South Unit Area Gas Processing Plant.
- Advising Niger Delta Petroleum Resources on the transfer/spin-off of its existing refinery operations to a special purpose vehicle and the establishment of a refinery in South Sudan.
Odujinrin & Adefulu
Odujinrin & Adefulu has a strong offering in the energy space and excels at assisting international players with their partnerships with local companies. It also advises domestic energy companies, foreign clients and new market entrants on their responsibilities in the emerging regulatory framework. The firm is also experienced in the sustainable power and electricity generation schemes, and is currently involved in the Nigerian Electricity Privatization exercise, assisting the preferred bidder of one of Nigeria’s electricity distribution companies in a transaction worth $82m. Adeoye Adefulu is the lead partner.
Udo Udoma & Belo-Osagie is well-known for its full-service offering, which sees it advise on matters such as project finance, oil and gas M&A, and the acquisition and refurbishment of brownfield power plants, among other matters. Daniel Agbor frequently assists major multinational oil and gas companies with financing options in connection with the establishment of private refineries, foreign investments and the structuring of international debt funds. Aniekan Ukpanah specialises in syndicated and structured finance. Folake Elias-Adebowale and Adeola Sunmola are also recommended.
- Advising the joint venture company owned by General Electric Co. and Geometric Power Limited on the greenfield development, construction, financing and operation and maintenance of a 500MW greenfield power plant in Abia State, Nigeria.
- Advising private equity firm Startsight Private Utilities and its investee company (a project developer) on the development and deployment of its distributed solar power solutions to a number of clients in the financial services and energy sectors.
- Advising the Daniel Power Consortium on raising finance for the acquisition of an 80% equity interest in Ogorode Power Generation Company Limited.
Adepetun, Caxton-Martins, Agbor & Segun
Adepetun, Caxton-Martins, Agbor & Segun fields a team of specialists which is active in the development, construction, financing and taxation of energy projects, among other matters. The practice also advises investors and new market entrants on the legal and regulatory framework and operational environment in the Nigerian market, as well as on the contractual aspects of establishing independent power plants. Managing partner Felicia Kemi Segun, Donna Shodipo and Sola Adepetun are the key contacts.
Felicia Kemi Segun
G. Elias & Co advises developers, private equity fund managers, landowners, equity investors and lenders. Its work covers acquisitions and disposals of real estate properties and portfolios of assets, as well as strategic minority equity stakes and controlling interests. In addition, the team is experienced in leases, regulatory issues and permits, re-zoning, compulsory acquisitions and excisions. Managing partner Fred Onuobia is the main contact.
Olaniwun Ajayi LP handles a range of energy and infrastructure matters, including M&A, finance, project development and construction. It also assists clients with bidding processes and power chain agreements. Wolemi Esan advises on all aspects of the development, investment, acquisition, divestment, financing and operation of power and infrastructure assets. Oil and gas specialist Tominiyi Owolabi and managing partner Konyin Ajayi are other notable practitioners.
- Advising Nova Scotia Power Development Limited as project sponsors on the development of a 80MW solar power plant in Jigawa State.
- Advised the sellers (Zenon Petroleum & Gas Limited, Thames Investment Company Limited, Wells Properties & Investment and Femi Otedola) on the divestment of shares constituting 74.02% of the issued share capital of Forte Oil Plc.
- Advising Sagamu Independent Power Project Limited, the sponsors of the Sagamu IPP, a strategic partnership between the sponsor and Europower, Anglo Belgian Corporation and Siemens, to develop a 400MW on-grid facility in Sagamu local Government Area in Ogun State.
Templars provides 'solid and up to date legal assistance' to clients across the oil and gas, power, infrastructure and mining sectors. Core areas of activity include M&A, oil and gas upstream exploration and production, midstream and downstream transportation, mining and production issues, licensing and regulatory issues. Managing partner Oghogho Akpata has extensive experience of the transactional, regulatory and dispute resolution aspects of the Nigerian oil and gas sector. Chike Obianwu, Desmond Ogba and Yemisi Awonuga are also highly recommended.
Pan African Solar Limited
- Advising an indigenous Nigerian midstream oil and gas company and its Maltese parent, Energy Link Infrastructure, on the development and financing of an alternative crude oil evacuation system.
- Nigerian counsel to China Machinery Engineering Corporation on its acquisition of equity stake in OMA Power Generation Company and the part-funding of the development of a 468MW gas-fired power plant in Abia state, Nigeria.
- Advising MBH Power on the financing, development and operation of a 300MW power plant in the Ikorodu area of Lagos state.
Bloomfield Law Practice provides transactional and regulatory support to local and foreign energy sector clients, such as Fenix International, the Engie Group, Niger Delta Exploration and Production Plc and NNPC, among others. Practice head Ayodele Oni frequently advises on corporate and commercial issues relating to restructuring and investing in Nigeria. He is currently advising Fenix International on the the expansion of Engie’s operations in Nigeria. Adedoyin Afun is another recommended partner.
‘Bloomfield is a great law firm. We had some top notch energy engagements which we needed thorough external legal advice on. Since the engagement we have never looked back. They are very knowledgeable, insightful, they pay attention to detail and they deliver their services very swiftly without leaving anything out.‘
‘Ayodele Oni is very adept in the industry and is always my go-to guy.‘
‘Mr. Ayodele Oni is the individual that has impressed us more and he is our main point of contact in the firm. We really appreciate his overall knowledge of the energy sector.‘
Fenix International LLC and the Engie Group
Middle Band Solar One
Computer Warehouse Group Plc
Niger Delta Exploration and Production Plc
MGIG Power Limited
- Assisting Fenix International with end to end project development support services in relation to the expansion of Engie’s operations in Nigeria.
- Advising Middle Band Solar One Limited on the construction, operation and maintenance of a 100MW PV solar generation facility in Lokoja, Kogi State.
- Advised China Offshore Oil Engineering on its provision of engineering, procurement and construction services to Dangote gas pipeline, fertiliser, petrochemicals and refinery project at the Lekki Free Trade Zone Lagos, Nigeria.
Olajide Oyewole LLP's expertise cuts across different service areas in the oil and gas sector, such as project finance, divestments, farm-ins, farm-outs and M&A. Tunde Oyewole advises on both infrastructure finance and commercial disputes in the energy sector, while Dayo Idowu primarily focuses on M&A and financing transactions.
In the oil and gas sector, Sefton Fross retains a strong focus on M&A, capital markets and divestment transactions. Recent highlights included advising EMA Consortium on its acquisition of 80% of the issued share capital of Calabar Power Generation Company from the Niger Delta Power Holding Company. The firm also advises on the development, financing and construction of energy projects, electric power plants, pipelines and gathering systems, gas processing plants, refineries and energy storage facilities. Olayemi Anyanechi is the practice head.
Nibra Designs Limited
Millennium Oil and Gas Company
New Hampshire Capital Limited
- Advised New Hampshire Capital, an electricity distribution company and Ibadan Distribution Company on the deployment of electric meters as a Meter Asset Provider, in line with the policy of the Federal Government and the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission to bridge the metering gap in the country.
- Assisting Duport Midstream Company Limited with negotiating, preparing and reviewing all transaction documents in a gas project involving the sale and purchase of associated gas and the construction of a gas processing facility in Edo State.
- Advised Millennium Oil and Gas Company on its risk service agreement with Regalis Petroleum Nigeria Ltd in relation to oil field development of marginal field.