Focused on labour and tax litigation as well as contractual and extra-contractual liabilities, Arias fields a growing dispute resolution team in Nicaragua. Administrative litigation against government institutions as well as constitutional actions and intellectual property infringement are additional areas of expertise. As of late, the 'detail-oriented' team has also expanded its activities in arbitration and the mediation of commercial disputes. The department is headed by Roger Pérez, who is also active in real estate, labour and tax law. Associate Octavio Alarcón, who arrived from Munguía-Vidaurre y Asociados in August 2019, strengthens the group's capabilities in alternative dispute resolution, for instance in the construction sector.
Dispute resolution in Nicaragua
‘They are detail oriented. They are always very honest. And they answer all of our questions and concerns in a timely manner. They take the time to explain everything to us in a way that we can understand.’
‘We have worked directly with Octavio Alarcón and Roger Pérez. Both of them are very honest and true to their word. They take the time to answer all of our questions honestly and in a timely manner. They have very detailed knowledge about our case.’
Polaris Energy Nicaragua
Hotel Crowne Plaza, Intercontinental Hotels Group, Six Continents Hotels
World Vision International
- Appeared on behalf of Polaris during proceedings brought by the independent director of Ram Power for labour compensation
- Represented Farmacias Europeas in different procedures before the Tax Authority and the Tax and Customs Administrative Court (TATA)
- Represented World Vision International in a civil lawsuit brought by Arfisa concerning a property
Consortium Legal is well equipped to handle tax and constitutional litigation, as well as judicial collection cases. The department headed by civil and commercial litigator Gerardo Hernandez and associate Sergio Escobar regularly represents US clients with operations in Nicaragua in contentious cases, including in arbitration proceedings. Furthermore, Hernandez has valuable experience with food and beverage, banking and finance, real estate, energy and retail clients. Environmental disputes, tax supervision processes and alternative dispute resolution are the core areas of Escobar's practice. Moreover, Bertha Xiomara Ortega excels in litigation concerning labour and employment issues such as social benefits claims and dismissals.
CENTRAL LAW Nicaragua
The litigation department at Central Law Nicaragua has a particular focus on mediation, as well as on construction and property disputes. Soraya Montoya and Yalí Molina share leadership of the team, with both practitioners displaying deep knowledge of the new Civil Code. Additionally, Montoya is noted for her negotiation skills. The department heads are active in a number of adjacent areas of law, providing a diverse offering in dispute resolution to both local and international clients, including labour litigation, administrative proceedings, family law cases and disputes surrounding energy projects.
Desarrollo Veintos Alisios
Jorge Solís Arguello
Geohidra Consultores, Nicaraguan Branch
- Recovered a property invaded by squatters for Kala
- Obtained a successful judgment for Baharet Industrial in relation to the unlawful transfer of its property by individuals with forged documents
- Acted for Geohidra Consultores’ Nicaraguan branch in an arbitration process as a result of a breach of a construction contract for offshore oil unloading
Dentons Muñoz is well equipped to handle contentious matters, particularly administrative court cases. A key area for Edgard Torres' department is representing clients in customs and taxation disputes, with niche expertise in assisting clients from the energy sector. Senior associate Gabriel Alvarado has valuable experience in civil, constitutional, real estate and labour law proceedings, as well as in arbitration.
SBA Torres Nicaragua
Sigma Alimentos Nicaragua
Consorcio Eólico Amayo
Consorcio Eólico Amayo (Fase II)
Tipitapa Power Company
Empresa Energética Corinto
- Representing SBA Torres Nicaragua in a contentious-administrative claim before the Supreme Court of Justice of Nicaragua
- Representing Inkia Group companies Amayo I and Amayo II before the Nicaraguan Supreme Court of Justice in ten landmark real estate taxation cases against the Municipality of Rivas
- Representing Pharmeuropea and Nubenco Enterprises in a payment lawsuit brought by an individual
García & Bodán has a particular focus on administrative proceedings and arbitration. Senior associate María Ofelia Medina heads the dispute resolution practice and frequently draws on support from other practitioners, such as managing partner Federico Gurdián for corporate issues and associate Gerardo Escorcia for matters involving labour and employment law. In addition, Medina has expertise in real estate and administrative law. The group acts for local, regional and international clients and has a key strength in construction contract disputes.
- Assisted Millicom with litigation and arbitration assessment as part of the acquisition of the operations of Telefónica
Alvarado y Asociados handles a wide range of contentious matters for its existing client base, from unfulfilled payment proceedings to the defence of actions brought by government authorities. Gloria María de Alvarado and Luz Marina Espinoza jointly lead the group. Associate Fabiola Urbina is highly active in this practice; she is a certified arbitrator and brings a wealth of work experience with various government ministries to the table.
Administrative proceedings and outstanding payment and debt collection procedures are the pillars of Lexincorp's dispute resolution practice. Banking and finance expert Roberto Rodríguez Zeledón heads the litigation team, and is noted for his vast arbitration experience. He also acts for local and regional clients in commercial and administrative litigation.
- Brought a civil action for non-payment of debts on behalf of HMM Group