EU competition and regulation specialist Kees Schillemans leads the telecoms practice at Allen & Overy LLP, which frequently handles regulatory work for market-leading Dutch network provider KPN. Tjarda Van Der Vijver, who previously worked at the Dutch Competition Authority, handles competition law enforcement and merger control mandates for multiple clients. Associate Cyriel Ruers adds further depth to the competition and regulatory expertise of the practice, working on cartel investigations and private disputes in the telecoms sector. The team also represents clients in telecoms-related patent infringement proceedings and advises on partnerships for the roll-out of fibre optics.
Industry focus: telecoms in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Other key lawyers:
Tjarda van der Vijver; Cyriel Ruers
Bird & Bird's telecoms practice is a popular choice for major network providers for both contentious and non-contentious regulatory advice. Chair of the firm’s global tech and comms sector group Marjolein Geus advises on national regulatory projects as well as leading on high-profile and landmark EU-wide projects, coordinating with the firm’s lawyers across Europe, with recent work in this area including assistance with the European Blockchain Services Infrastructure project and the digital transformation of industries. Paul Waszink acts for national and international clients in cases that shape the communications market, with a particular focus on fibre roll-out projects. Senior counsels Frank Simons and Feyo Sickinghe advise telecoms operators on the development and implementation of new legislation and regulation, and assist clients with telecoms infrastructure projects. Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa is a key contact for disputes, while patent expert Tjibbe Douma and data protection specialist Wilfred Steenbruggen add further strength to the team. At associate level, Raoul Grifoni Waterman and Joost van Roosmalen are key names.
Marjolein Geus; Paul Waszink
Other key lawyers:
Frank Simons; Feyo Sickinghe; Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa; Tjibee Douma; Wilfred Steenbruggen; Raoul Grifoni Waterman; Joost van Roosmalen
‘They are the best telecoms lawyers in the Netherlands. They make a difference in the legal landscape. All the people that work there have thorough expertise and know how.’
‘Marjolein Geus stood out for her solid understanding of the cross-over between commercial/regulatory aspects of digital infrastructure and the litigation process associated with the matter at hand. A pleasure to work with. Reliable, responsive and collaborative.’
‘Bird & Bird Netherlands is the go-to firm for TMT in the Netherlands. They are experts in the field, show great dedication and support to us as a customer and are very knowledgeable. Our company has worked with Bird & Bird on various challenging topics in the past year, and we have been very satisfied with their support and professional management of the work. I would recommend the firm, and more specifically their Tech & Comms Group.’
‘Specialists in their respective fields! The individuals we have worked with are dedicated, always available and customer focused. Marjolein Geus has supported us in our international expansion efforts and global compliance. As always she is a pleasure to work with and shows great expertise and dedication.’
‘The Bird & Bird team delivers outstanding service when it comes to monitoring and analysis of national implementing legislation. They have an extensive network and the ability to pull resources and steer work across Europe. They have the attention to detail and the ability to remedy any minor errors quickly. They deliver consistently over the long term.’
‘The Bird & Bird team I worked with on a Telecommunications issue was really great. They showed exceptional eye for detail and perseverance. And they have an eye for the political context of the issue. Marjolein Geus is one of the best telecoms lawyers in the Netherlands. Knows everything in the sector and has an exceptional eye for details that made us win the case.’
‘Bird & Bird has a lengthy history in telecoms and as result thereof deep knowledge of market access regulation. They go the extra mile in making things happening in the interest of the client.’
‘Competent, friendly and flexible. Bird & Bird is our primary lawyer for telecommunications market related and administrative law related cases. Individual lawyers at Bird & Bird have a wide area of expertise and interest that is always able to fulfil demand.’
Arcus Infrastructure / E-Fiber
British Telecom (BT)
NLEx / Budget Thuis
Open Dutch Fiber
- Representing Open Dutch Fiber, E-Fiber, T-Mobile, Primevest in multiple fiber roll-out projects including associated legal proceedings regarding the deployment of Fiber-to-the-Home networks in large parts of The Netherlands
- Leading a project for the European Commission regarding the development of the groundbreaking European Blockchain Services Infrastructure (EBSI).
- Leading the European wide project for DigitalEurope regarding the implementation/analyses of the implementation of the European Electronic Communications Code (EECC) in all 27 EU Member States and the UK.
Brinkhof’s ‘long history of working in telecoms’ is demonstrated by the range of work clients entrust the telecoms team with. Its caseload includes representing satellite providers in major disputes, acting for mobile network providers in patent litigation and disputes concerning the rollout and maintenance of services of fibre connections and digital infrastructure. The firm also handles non-contentious mandates, including advising clients on the construction of fiberglass internet connectivity and compliance with EU regulation and telecoms data protection laws. TMT specialist Quinten Kroes negotiates and drafts key commercial contracts in the telecoms sector; Pepijn van Ginneken focuses on telecoms regulatory matters; Remy Chavannes is sought out for expertise in litigation; and Dorien Verhulst advises on spectrum allocation, pricing and lawful interception and acts for clients in civil claims for damages. Hanneke Kooijman provides additional support.
Pepijn van Ginneken; Quinten Kroes; Remy Chavannes
Other key lawyers:
Dorien Verhulst; Hanneke Kooijman
‘Brinkhof has a long history of working in Telecoms, which is a huge asset.’
‘Brinkhof and Pepijn van Ginneken, in particular, have great knowledge and insight into Telecoms regulation. In addition, Pepijn is a pleasure to work with: very knowledgeable but still open to input from others. With Pepijn working on your case you know it will be smooth sailing.’
‘Hanneke Kooijman is a rising star – responsive and good to work with. Great potential for future.’
- Representing T-Mobile in a legal challenge by satellite-based communications provider Inmarsat on account of the Government’s decision to change the designation of the 3.5 GHz frequency.
- Acting for China-based Oppo and Xaomi in a large number of infringement and nullity proceedings relating to infringements of standard essential patents against several companies that include Nokia and Sisvel.
- Representing The Dutch Association of National Commercial Radiobroadcasters on the Government’s decision to allow an additional three-year extension of FM-licenses to allow radio broadcasters to recuperate their COVID-19 loses.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer‘s telecoms team advises high-profile fixed and mobile providers on large transactions and regulatory matters. TMT head Winfred Knibbeler is frequently sought out by Dutch and international telecoms operators for strategic advice pertaining to contentious and non-contentious matters. Alvaro Pliego Selie works on regulatory matters and has secured several landmark judgments from the highest administrative appeals court. The pair provide ‘to-the-point competition law advice’ and have a ‘deep understanding of the market’.
Winfred Knibbeler; Alvaro Pliego Selie
‘Winfred Knibbeler and Alvaro Pliego Selie highly recommended – easily accessible, to-the-point competition law advice, market knowledge. They have a deep understanding of the markets we operate in, which not only leads to a more tailored approach but also to a more efficient way of working.’
AP Telecom Holdings IV
Apax Partners LLP/Warburg Pincus LLC
Arcus Infrastructure Ltd
- Advising WP/AP Telecom Holdings IV B.V. on the acquisition of the third largest telecoms operator in the Netherlands, T-Mobile Netherlands, for an enterprise value of EUR 5.1 billion. The sellers are Deutsche Telekom and Tele2 of Sweden.
- Representing VodafoneZiggo in all strategic matters related to telecommunications access regulations in the Netherlands.
- Advising and representing VodafoneZiggo in relation to a request lodged by telecoms operator YouCa at the Dutch telecoms regulator ACM to obtain access to VodafoneZiggo’s fixed network infrastructure on regulated terms.
At Clifford Chance, senior counsel and co-head of the Amsterdam TMT team Jaap Tempelman advises clients on strategic transactions in the telecoms area. Recent work includes advising on the national fibre roll-out, joint ventures between incumbent telecoms operators and investment funds, and the sale of network providers. The team also assists satellite and mobile networks operators with acquisitions and joint ventures, as well as regulatory changes. Corporate partner Gregory Crookes is another key contact in the telecoms space.
Other key lawyers:
Gregory Crookes; Andrei Mikes
‘Clifford is one of those top firms in the world that puts the client’s interests first. In addition to providing exceptionally accurate legal guidance, they always keep the human aspect in mind. Especially with mergers and acquisitions, this is an elementary aspect to ensure that negotiations do not go off the rails. We have greatly appreciated the cooperation and can recommend everyone to work with them.’
‘The Clifford team is tremendously thoughtful, precise and thinks carefully about every element. We had excellent guidance from Gregory Crookes.’
Gilde Buy Out Partners
ABN AMRO Bank
Royal Ten Cate
Esdec Solar Group
EQT Infrastructure III
Open Dutch Fiber
Deutsche Telekom Capital Partners
Trade Republic Bank GmbH
Didi Chuxing Technology Co. (DiDi)
Stephen A. Schwarzman Education Foundation (SASEF)
Network Access Associates Ltd. (OneWeb)
Blue Sky Group
NSC Global Ltd
Sanoma Finland Oj
Henkel Global Supply Chain
- Advising global satellite operator OneWeb in determining and analysing telecoms regulatory requirements across multiple jurisdictions in four continents with regard to the roll-out of its global terrestrial network, including the installation and utilisation of Point-of-Presence transmission, switching and routing equipment, the operation of a Wide Area Network and the offering of wholesale telecommunications services
- Advised Digital Infrastructure Vehicle (DIV) on its seed investment comprising (i) the acquisition of all mobile towers and masts owned by T-Infra (a subsidiary of T-Mobile/Deutsche Telekom) in the Netherlands, and (ii) the subsequent sale of T-Infra to Cellnex Netherlands, whereby DIV acquired a 38% interest in Cellnex.
- Advised Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. LLP (KKR) and Deutsche Telekom Capital Partners (“DTCP”) on the launch of Open Dutch Fiber and the conclusion of a strategic agreement between Open Dutch Fiber and T-Mobile Netherlands
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek‘s team routinely works on high-end, cross-border transactions and disputes in the telecoms space. The cross-practice group advises global network providers on demergers, IPOs and cross-border mergers. The wide range of work undertaken by the practice also includes Supreme Court patent disputes and assistance with governance structures and IP strategies ahead of potential M&A and funding rounds. Competition and regulatory law specialist Stephanie The advises on FDI and transactions. Tobias Cohen Jehoram is another key contact in the IP litigation space and Jolling de Pree represents clients in contentious matters concerning mergers, cartels, abuse of dominance and competition. Since research concluded, Gertjan Kuipers and Carlos van Staveren left the firm.
Stephanie The; Tobias Cohen Jehoram; Jolling de Pree
‘Very technical team’
Deutsche Telekom Netherlands
Deutsche Telekom AG
Fortino Capital Partners
GE Video Compression
DELTA Fiber Nederland
- Advised EQT Infrastructure V and Stonepeak on their acquisition of DELTA Fiber from EQT Infrastructure III.
- Represented Dutch telecoms giant KPN in litigation against High Point about alleged infringement of telecoms patents (UMTS). The case reached the Supreme Court.
- Assisted Deutsche Telekom AG on the sale by Deutsche Telekom and Tele2 of T-Mobile Netherlands to an entity jointly controlled by funds advised by Apax Partners LLP and Warburg Pincus LLC for an enterprise value of EUR 5.1 billion.
The technology group at NautaDutilh provides a full service in the telecoms sector. Amsterdam-based Joris Willems advises leading global mobile operators, including Vodafone and Reliance, as well as financial institutions active in the space. Rotterdam-based Jolize Lautenbach specialises in administrative law, frequently representing domestic and international private and governmental institutions in contentious administrative and regulatory law matters. Associate Nima Lorjé acts for clients in proceedings before the national telecoms and media authorities and advises on inter-connection agreements and mobile frequency auctions. Associate Eva Reinders and counsel Marlous Schrijvers are other names to note.
Joris Willems; Jolize Lautenbach
Other key lawyers:
Eva Reinders; Nima Lorjé
‘This firm is a very good expert in the media law area. With them the cooperation was very smooth. The firm is very well connected to the relevant authorities. Furthermore, the team is always available and can adapt to client needs.’
‘I am working closely with Jolize Lautenbach. She is reliable, prompt if it’s necessary and provides a high level service in the field of media/telecoms law. Additionally, she is ready to understand the business background which is essential nowadays if you would like to provide a high-level service.
‘Jolize Lautenbach is a highly competent practitioner who has worked seamlessly with our other advisers. Jolize is very pragmatic and responsive.’
‘Excellent service and relationship developed service.’
‘The in-depth knowledge across the team is quite something. Pairing that with pragmatism makes the team at Nauta the perfect legal advisor.’
‘Eva Reinders has proven to be a valuable asset to the team.’
‘We have been working with Joris Willems for a long time, making him very well positioned to help us out in times of need. He is truly a trusted partner to us that always delivers. Always available, firm where needed, pragmatic where possible. Most important though, Joris is a great guy.’
Apax Partners SAS
Next Private B.V.
Inmarsat Solutions B.V.
Tata Consultancy Services
InfraVia Capital Partners
Dutch Public Broadcasting Authority NPO
- Advised Indian conglomerate Reliance and its subsidiary JIO, one of the global leading mobile operators, on its potential bid for T-Mobile Netherlands,
- Representing Inmarsat in high-profile litigation against the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs regarding the 3.5 GHz frequency auction.
- Representing the French mobile telephone manufacturer Wiko SAS and its parent company Tinno Mobile in a very large set of telecoms patent cases in the Netherlands, initiated by the Luxembourg based non practicing entity Sisvel International SA.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is known for advising government agencies on a plethora of matters, including enforcement requests by various radio broadcasters, compliance issues, the execution of auction procedures and the commencement of preliminary relief proceedings. Hague-based Arnoud Boorsma leads the practice and represents regulators in procedural and enforcement matters at the cross-section of telecoms and media. Jannetje Bootsma specialises in administrative law in the telecoms and education sectors.
Arnoud Boorsma; Jannetje Bootsma
‘Strond team, very analytical. Constant high quality’
‘Arnoud Boorsma is a great team player, with excellent litigation skills’
‘In our decades long experience with the firm, Pels Rijcken has shown it possesses an excellent knowledge of general administrative and civil law, as well as specialised expertise in the telecoms field.’
‘The team is highly motivated to get the best possible outcomes for us and is very accurate, efficient and professional in doing so.’
‘The team is quick to respond, and we always get the advice or the legal representation we need. Compared to other legal firms we encounter or deal with ourselves, their professionalism and solidity in what they do is second to none.’
‘Arnoud Boorsma brings years of experience to the field of national supervisors and telecommunication law. That, combined with his outstanding speaking and writing skills, make him a great lawyer to have on our side.’
‘Arnoud Boosma is passionate about his work, and it shows. Arnoud is always well prepared and invariably stays calm under high pressure.’
Dutch State: Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy)
Radiocommunications Agency Netherlands
The Dutch Media Authority
- Assisting Radiocommunications Agency Netherlands in the appeal case and other legal matters relating to the cabinet’s decision to extend the licenses of rural FM frequencies without an auction (KINK FM).
- Assisting the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy in all proceedings regarding the allocation and roll-out of the 5G frequency range in the Netherlands.
Thomas de Weerd leads the TMT and data privacy and protection practices at Houthoff, specialising in IT, e-business, outsourcing and other technology-related transactions and commercial contracts. Counsel Freeke Heijne advises clients on new regulations in the telecoms sector and assists with public and private undertakings. Recent work for the team includes representing multinational telecoms providers in transaction disputes and dealing with refinancing and tax structures on a multi-jurisdiction scale for telecoms operators.
Thomas de Weerd
Other key lawyers:
Tele 2 AB
Raga Establishment Ltd.
- Represented several of Altice’s significant minority shareholders in relation to Patrick Drahi’s public offer for all shares in Altice Europe’s capital.
- Advised Nexperia on the USD1.5 billion underwritten refinancing in connection with the acquisition of Wingtech – the majority interest in the Nexperia group.
- Advised XPeng inter alia on whether their connected services offering qualifies as electronic communications services under the Dutch Telecommunications Act.
Kennedy Van der Laan
Kennedy Van der Laan‘s telecoms practice is intertwined with its media offering. The group has a core focus assisting with frequency auctions and disputes; advising telecoms clients on administrative enforcement; and handling regulatory litigation. The experienced Quirine Tjeenk Willink is routinely involved in major spectrum auctions and is sought out by major broadcasters and telecoms companies for spectrum-related matters, including disputes and regulatory advice. Counsel Leon Mensink has extensive experience as a litigator in telecoms mandates, focusing on SMP, tariff regulations, network access, enforcements and zoning issues regarding transmission towers. Senior associate Elise Troll specialises in enforcement and regulatory law and associate Minke de Haan provides support on competition and regulatory matters.
Quirine Tjeenk Willink
Other key lawyers:
Leon Mensink; Elise Troll; Minke de Haan
‘Quirine Tjeenk Willink is a seasoned professional who can draw upon her vast experience and in-depth knowledge. Quick thinking and excellent service, in a league of her own.’
‘Good industry knowledge; friendly and accessible lawyers; pragmatic.’
‘Quirine Tjeenk Willink is open, friendly, spot on, pragmatic and has good industry knowledge – an expert.’
CBRE DOV Custodian
Royal Airport Schiphol
Sligro Food Group
Port of Amsterdam
Schiphol Area Development Company
Loyens & Loeff‘s telecoms team is led by Kim Lucassen. The practice mainly advises on various obligations relating to communication, VOIP, mobile services, information networks, interception obligations and emergency calling. It also assists with Dutch regulatory issues, corporate governance and transaction matters for optic connectors and cable providers. The team also advises on the retention of telecoms data.
‘They are very good at analysing complex law and translating it into a practical strategy.’
‘Kim Lucassen is a true business partner with a highly skilled team.’
‘Loyens & Loeff N.V team have subject matter experts which provides us with appropriate legal help.’
‘The team has an extremely dedicated work force to help its client for all the legal matters. Highly recommended. We are delighted with the services provided by them.’
‘The team is extremely approachable and has a very quick turn- around time.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable with regards to the knowledge pertaining to legal laws. They have provided us with appropriate guidance in a timely manner.’
Jaguar Land Rover
Tata Communications Netherlands B.V.
Interxion Holding N.V.
Liberty Global Europe Holding B.V.
Universal Music Group
- Advising Tata Communications Netherlands B.V. on a continuous basis on all telecoms-related legal and regulatory aspects and requirements that they face in the Netherlands.
- Acted as counsel in providing Arriva with regulatory telecoms law advice, as well as data protection law advice, both from a Dutch law perspective, as well as from a Belgian and German law perspective.