Industry focus: Media and entertainment in Netherlands
Covering the full spectrum of advisory and litigious matters, the team at Bird & Bird LLP counts such household names as Skyscanner, Fox Media and Warner Bros among its clients. On the contentious side, Olaf Trojan is the key contact for broad civil law matters, whilst co-head Paul Waszink leads in administrative law proceedings, such as enforcement proceedings or exemption requests. The firm's expertise spans a wide range of matters, including copyright, collective rights, gaming, and content distribution. In recent highlights, the team defended T-Mobile in appeal proceedings launched by digital rights movement Bits of Freedom against a decision by the ACM.
Olaf Trojan; Paul Waszink
- Defended Eindhovens Dagblad in a defamation case relating to the publication of a book about a well-known cold case.
- Assisted My.com, part of the Mail.ru Group, with the further international roll-out of its online platform offering, a marketplace including online games.
- Defended T-Mobile in appeal proceedings launched by digital rights movement Bits of Freedom against a decision by the ACM in which it concluded that Music Freedom, a zero rating service for music streaming services, did not violate net neutrality rules.
Brinkhof's offering is extremely broad, as illustrated by its ongoing role as outside media counsel for longstanding client Het Financieele Dagblad, which involves representing the client in defamation cases, as well as providing assistance with data protection and offering general commercial advice. Other notable global clients include Google, Fox Channels, and T-Mobile. The practice is headed by experienced litigator Remy Chavannes, who frequently represents broadcasters and publishers, as well as internet platforms and providers, and focuses particularly on issues such as the responsibility and liability of online platforms, including the right to be forgotten. Quinten Kroes and counsel Dorien Verhulst, online reputation management specialist, are also noted.
Association of Dutch Commercial Radio broadcasters
Eredivisie Media & Marketing
Fox Channels International
RTL Nederland and its parent company CLT-UFA S.A. (RTL Group)
Sky Radio and Radio Veronica (two radio-stations which are part of Talpa Radio)
- Representing SkyRadio in a case concerning licence fees in a challenge to the Telecommunications Act and the Authorisations Directive.
- Representing the Association of Dutch Commercial Radio Broadcasters in rights rate-setting litigation.
- Representing KPN in its appeal to the EU General Court against the Commission’s decision to approve the merger between Liberty Global and Ziggo.
At Kennedy Van der Laan, Jens van den Brink litigates on behalf of national and international media companies, often at the intersection of IP, privacy, and free speech. He also regularly handles entertainment law issues, varying from image rights to format and licensing issues. Emiel Jurjens provides expert advice on media regulation to Dutch and international online platforms. Counsel Christien Wildeman, who has a strong focus on defamation cases, is also recommended.
At Van Doorne, the team's strong links with other relevant practice areas such as tax and IP make the firm a popular choice for media projects and ventures that require combined expertise. The team offers clients 'understanding of the relevant market, quick analysis of the problems involved and very practical advice' on matters ranging from M&A to disputes. Her 'great knowledge' and 'sharp focus' make Kriek Wille, who heads the practice jointly with Jeroen Sombezki, 'a joy to work with'. Also noted are technology specialist Louis Jonker and Marjolijn Lips, a key contact for employment matters.
Jeroen Sombezki; Kriek Wille
‘Understanding of the relevant market, quick analysis of the problems involved and very practical advice.‘
‘Kriek Wille is one of the most creative and quick thinkers in her field. She is also very flexible and always puts her clients’ needs first. It is a joy to work with her.‘
‘The media and technology team acts very quickly and to the point on difficult legal issues.‘
Branchevereniging voor Telecom Grootgebruikers (BTG) (industry association for major telecoms users)
Erdee Media Group
Keesing Media Group
Netherlands Lottery Organization
Walt Disney Co
Uitgeverij Nieuw Amsterdam
Best Practice World
- Assisting Erdee Media Group with the development of an internal policy regarding the legitimacy of keeping news articles in online archives.
- Advising Atomico on its $24m Series B investment in Framer, an interactive design platform.
- Representing Uitgeverij Nieuw Amsterdam in various conflicts with parties who feel damaged by its publications.
The team at boutique firm Boekx Advocaten provides 'expertise promptly, directly, and based on a good understanding of the client's needs'. Close links with the IP practice mean that the firm can handle any content-related issue, contentious or non-contentious. The team is particularly focused on defamation cases, in which it has represented clients including Follow the Money, a leading platform for investigative journalism. The key contact for such matters is practice head Matthijs Kaaks. On issues of journalistic principle, Otto Volgenant is the main contact, advising on matters such as data and source protection, and freedom of speech. 'Very capable' Marc de Boer is also recommended.
‘A close relationship with our attorney, Marc de Boer, makes the workflow efficient, pleasant, and focused on fast yet good results.‘
‘Marc de Boer is very capable, pleasant to work with, and is able to communicate complex legal matters to our management team in a way that we can make the right and well-thought through choices.‘
‘If additional services needed, aside from our daily business, they provide feedback and input through their own network.‘
‘On the expertise needed (daily to weekly basis) they provide their expertise promptly, directly, and based on a good understanding of the client’s needs. They also question clients’ strategy and operations to improve their overall performance.‘
Dutch Association of Journalists
European Union (EU Commission)
Warner Bros. Television (Including local subsidiaries e.g. BlazzHofski)
Art of Entertainment Group (producer of festivals and dance events)
- Representing two individual freelance journalists in a case against the largest publisher in the Netherlands, De Persgroep, concerning the fairness of the standard remuneration that is being paid for journalistic articles and photos provided by freelancers.
- Defend Skyhigh, an independent reality TV show producer, against stalkers it exposes on a production called Gestalkt (stalked), , who periodically sue the client on the grounds of of alleged privacy and image rights violations.
- Successfully defended TP Vision, the global licensee for Philips TV, in an advertising claim brought by competitor LG.
bureau Brandeis offers clients a team composed of 'passionate, technically savvy media litigators with an eye for story-telling and a nose for publicity'. 'Strategic, creative, and energetic' litigator Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm has experience representing clients before the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice. A key name for media regulation matters is Machteld Robichon, who 'follows through and does not give up'. Also key at the practice is Hans Bousie, a copyright and competition law specialist.
Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm; Machteld Robichon; Hans Bousie
‘The practice is unique because the lawyers are able to place themselves in the situation of their clients, and therefore to produce valuable solutions that appeal to the client.‘
‘The lawyer who handles our case (Machteld Robichon) stands out because of the substantive knowledge that is needed. She produces papers with good content, which she articulates well and convincingly at court proceedings.‘
‘They are leading in the gambling law field and have successfully advised and supported new entrant firms in litigation against the state and during licensing processes. They are pro-active and business minded and do not think in limitations but in solutions.‘
‘Machteld Robichon listens very well and is able to transform the story of the client into a viable legal strategy. She follows through and does not give up, even in dire situations. Oskar Mulder is very punctual, pro-active and able to explain legal complications in layman’s terms.‘
‘The team has a very personal approach and is always approachable in the short term.‘
‘they say what they do and do what they say. And in a way that is also understood by non-lawyers.‘
‘The Brandeis team takes on high-profile mandates for rights holders, publishers, and intermediaries alike. They are passionate, technically savvy media litigators with an eye for story-telling and a nose for publicity.‘
‘I have regularly encountered Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm, either as opposing counsel or as counsel for co-defendants, and consistently found him to be strategic, creative, and energetic. Major supporting roles are played by experienced associates Caroline de Vries and Sam van Velze, who are among the most talented media-law litigators in their respective cohorts.‘
Dutch Publishers Association (NUV)
- Representing the Dutch Association of Publishers (NUV) in a case examining whether the exhaustion of copyright, as described in the Copyright Directive, also applies to intangible goods, notably e-books.
- Assisting Lottovate/Raffld with its entry to the Dutch lottery market.
- Successfully defended Uitgeverij Luitingh-Sijthoff in court proceedings initiated by the organisation BTSW.
A particular focus on the area of collective management of rights means that the 'highly qualified' team at Höcker Advocaten counts notable music, audio-visual and literary rights collecting societies among its longstanding clients. A recent example of such work includes defending Dutch music collecting society Buma/Stemra in litigation claiming that the client acts unlawfully by not preventing bars from using Spotify or other online consumer streaming services as sources for their music. Willem Roos, co-practice head with Jacqueline Seignette, is recommended as 'a very good lawyer, imaginative, creative, very intelligent'. Marijn Kingma, who made partner in January 2019, 'gives very clear, straightforward advice and is always on top of every problem'.
Willem Roos; Jacqueline Seignette
‘The IP/Media Team of Höcker has been around for some time and is solid. Very helpful that they can combine their specific IP knowledge with employment law and corporate law.‘
‘Marijn Kingma, who recently became a partner in the firm, is very talented, sharp, quick on her feet, and always makes time for her clients.‘
‘I have known Roos and Kingma’s expertise very well for 15 years, their team is close to clients, pragmatic, available, and at the same time with a high level of expertise. They provide excellent support and advice on a daily basis, either in a global way for the company’s strategy, or for specific or international problems. We do not hesitate to refer clients to them and recommend them. It’s a pleasure to work with them.‘
‘Roos is a very good lawyer, imaginative, creative, very intelligent. Kingma is also an exceptional lawyer.‘
‘Höcker has in-depth knowledge of the media business and is at the absolute top of the field. We use Höcker for copyright, data protection, corporate law and employment law issues and we are very satisfied with all their services. Moreover, the lawyers at Höcker always reply extremely fast and the atmosphere at the office is very intimate and friendly. Finally, their fees are very reasonable in comparison to other firms.‘
‘For copyright and data protection matters we always work with Marijn Kingma, who gives very clear, straightforward advice and is always on top of every problem. For employment law, Mick Hurks is highly recommended; an extremely nice guy, very knowledgeable and fast.‘
‘Outstanding knowledge of copyright law in particular in the field of film.‘
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe, SIAE Benelux
Stichting de Thuiskopie
Motion Picture Association (MPA)
- Representing Stichting Lira in copyright infringement proceedings against Dutch cable operators Ziggo and Delta.
- Defended the legality of the Dutch Copyright Act and a 2013 government decree concerning the collection of private copying levies on behalf of client Stichting de Thuiskopie, the government appointed organisation for the collection of such levies.
- Defending Dutch music collecting society Buma/Stemra in litigation before the District Court of Amsterdam brought by Dutch trade organisation ABMD and seven online music distributors, claiming that the client acts unlawfully by not preventing bars from using Spotify or other online consumer streaming services as sources for their music.
Houthoff's team brings its 'business-minded focus and practicality' to both M&A in the media sector and media-related litigation. Practice head Thomas de Weerd is 'a very pleasant person to work with' and 'thinks about the business values and goals'. He has particular experience advising on cases concerning the crossover between media and technology, and assists clients including Royal Theatre Carré with data protection and GDPR implementation. Counsel Thijs van Aerde frequently represents clients before the Supreme Court, as well as Dutch lower courts and regulating bodies, including the Advertising Code Committee.
Thomas de Weerd
‘Key strengths are their business-minded focus and practicality.‘
‘Thomas de Weerd is a very pleasant person to work with. He thinks about the business values and goals we are trying to reach and adapts the legal work to fit with those.‘
Telegraaf Media Group
Central Bank of Aruba
- Advising the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra on contracts with their publisher regarding the publication of the Orchestra’s Centenary Box.
- Representing a consortium of importers and manufacturers of media storage products in Supreme Court litigation against the Dutch State and Stichting De Thuiskopie, the Dutch society that collects levies for consumer private copying from importers and manufacturers of data media carriers, concerning the level of levies which should be imposed on media storage products.
- Representing Stichting Brein in Supreme Court litigation against Usenet provider News-Service Europe (NSE), concerning the extent to which an internet intermediary is liable for hosting copyright-protected works on its servers and granting its users access to those servers, thereby facilitating copyright infringement.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER
At IP boutique HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER 'the team has an excellent understanding of the market, a reliable commercially-oriented approach and solid experience'. The practice has a proven track record in pan-European litigation on behalf of media clients, among them Brein and Television Entertainment Reality Network (TERN). The firm also represents both the John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix estates against abuses of their personality rights. Along with practice head Joris van Manen, the other key contact is 'very talented' Laura Fresco, who provides 'business-oriented' advice, focusing particularly on trade mark, design, copyright, advertising and database law.
Joris van Manen
‘The team has an excellent understanding of the market, a reliable commercially-oriented approach and solid experience in the practice area. They are very good at creating large teams in parallel litigations involving different countries. It is absolutely one of the most knowledgeable teams we work with.‘
‘We really appreciate working with HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER: in this specific sector we would like to highlight the quality of the work provided by Laura Fresco who is very talented, business-oriented and unquestionably one of the leading names for the trade mark practice.‘
Jimi Hendrix Estate
John Lennon Estate
MC&F Broadcasting Production and Distribution
Motion Picture Association of America
- Representing De Persgroep in its damages proceedings against De Telegraaf, following a legal battle about car advertisements before the European Court of Justice.
- Acting on behalf of the estate of Jimi Hendrix against various abuses of his personality rights across the EU, in particular against a manufacturer of branded electronic cigarettes.
- Defending Belgian copyright collecting society Sabam in a court case against the companies offering background music in the Netherlands, unified in the foundation ABMD.
Visser Schaap & Kreijger's 'very thorough and accessible team' assists clients with both contentious and advisory matters. Dirk Visser 'is the best copyright lawyer where litigation before the Dutch Courts and also the CJEU is concerned' as he is 'very sharp' and 'quick on his feet'. On the non-contentious side, the practice advises on sponsoring and product placement, as well as contract negotiation and drafting issues. Practice head Jacqueline Schaap 'is an absolute giant in the field of unlawful media publications' with 'an impressive track record' acting on behalf of both media outlets and individuals who have been the subject of a media publication. Senior associate Patty de Leeuwe is also recommended.
‘Visser Schaap & Kreijger is a leading firm in the Netherlands in the field of soft IP and Media. Dirk Visser is the best copyright lawyer where litigation before the Dutch Courts and also the CJEU is concerned. Very sharp, quick on his feet, very efficient, knows everybody, and is involved in all relevant developments where litigation regarding online copyright infringement. Working together with Dirk Visser and the firm’s very bright and dedicated associates are very pleasant.‘
‘My firm has been working with VSK for several years now. The last twelve months we have worked with one of the partners, Jacqueline Schaap, and her team in three cases. The cases concerned unlawful media publications/press releases. They are very professional and know what they are doing.‘
‘Jacqueline Schaap is an absolute giant in the field of unlawful media publications. She has decades of experience to rely on and has worked for both media outlets (newspapers, television programs etc.) and individuals who were the subject of a media publication. As such she is familiar with both sides of the equation and knows exactly how to operate in media cases where everything is about the delicate balancing exercise between freedom of the press on the one hand and respect for privacy on the other hand. Due to their very nature most media cases have ridiculously short deadlines. I was very impressed by Jacqueline’s capacity to deliver excellent and spot on argumentation under these rather extreme circumstances.‘
‘Very thorough and accessible team, with a profound knowledge of relevant (case) law in the relevant fields (media, entertainment, copyright, trade marks, privacy).‘
Endemol Shine Nederland
Talpa Content B.V. and Talpa Productions
Talpa Media B.V.
Talpa TV (form SBS Broadcasting)
Stichting Brein – anti piracy organisations
Discovery Communications Europe Ltd.
KNVB (Dutch soccer association)
NDP Dutch news Media Association
NCP Dutch Content Producers
- Successfully represented a Dutch professor who wanted to prevent the publishing of his name in a #MeToo article in NRC.
- Defended Sanoma Media Netherlands, the publisher of the magazine Story, against a privacy violation claim brought by a celebrity’s boyfriend.
- Successfully defended Endemol Shine against claims made by a participant in a television game show that he was entitled to €5m because he was incorrectly stopped from finishing the game.
The team at DLA Piper has particular expertise acting on matters which are at 'the intersection of media and technology'. The practice provides advice on data protection matters to a number of clients in the field of digital and personalised advertising, including Interactive Advertising Bureau Nederland. Another area of strength for the firm is within the sports sector. The team assists leagues, clubs, agencies, event promoters, and sponsors with matters ranging from stadium and arena development to staging and exploiting live sports. Joris Willems, noted for his 'strong commercial sense', heads the practice jointly with Richard van Schaik.
Richard van Schaik; Joris Willems
‘Strong cross-industry expertise, so can take account of business issues at the intersection of media and technology.‘
‘Joris Willems and Khaled Dadi are both great lawyers with a strong commercial sense.‘
Interactive Advertising Bureau Nederland (IAB Nederland)
Al Jazeera Media Networks
Disney / Marvel
Omnicom Media Group
- Assisting Omnicon Media Group with the review and negotiations of its media contracts.
- Advising Greentube Malta on upcoming legislation which will allow operators to offer online gambling services to the Dutch market.
- Advising Dentsu Aegis Network on an IP dispute concerning the infringement of rights in relation to media purchase for the province of South Holland.
Le Poole Bekema
The focus falls particularly on the film and television industry at boutique firm Le Poole Bekema, with the team's client roster including various public broadcasters as well as their Dutch governing body, the NPO, along with a number of television and film producers, and collective rights and management organisations in the audiovisual industry. Valued for being 'knowledgeable, accessible and pro-active', team members are especially active in defamation, copyright and advertising litigation. Bas Le Poole is active in freedom of speech litigation, and heads the firm along with Anne Bekema, an expert in the areas of online marketing and programmatic advertising.
Anne Bekema; Bas Le Poole
‘The team is knowledgeable, accessible and pro-active. They compare favourably to other law firms in this field.‘
‘Bas Le Poole, Laura Broers and Anne Bekema are the lawyers we have worked with in the past year; they all embody the specific qualities of the firm I have mentioned above. I’d like to specifically mention Bas Le Poole’s skills in handling court cases and Laura Broers’ negotiating skills.‘
TMG (Telegraaf Media Group
NPO (Netherlands Public Broadcasting)
Nedfilm & Television
Sekam (Collecting society for national producers of audiovisual works)
CoBO (foundation which participates financially in film and television productions)
Endemol Shine Group
CIPO (supervisory body NPO)
RODAP (association of broadcasters, televisionproducers and media distributors on copyrights)
Netherlands Content Producers
Vincent TV Producties
Academisch Medisch Centrum
Stichting Regionale Publieke Omroep
iBOOD (daily discount offer platform)
NTR (public broadcaster)
Fremantle / BlueCircle
Board Bia (Irish Food Board)
- Representing Terumo in defamation litigation brought by the client against public broadcaster Avrotros.
- Advising NOS, one of the largest broadcasting organisations in the Netherlands, on a matter concerning fake news publications, of which the client was allegedly the source, which were spread online and harmed the client’s reputation.
- Advising Stichting Ether Reclame, the organisation responsible for all advertising on the Dutch Public Broadcasters, on various aspects of the implementation of programmatic advertising on all online platforms hosted by the Dutch Public Broadcasters.
At Leeway 'the entire team works together very well' to provide assistance with a wide range of contentious and advisory matters, from advising on trade marks and copyright law, to privacy, to advertising. The commercial expertise of the 'high-quality team' also makes it a popular choice for clients wishing to draft commercial contracts with major intellectual property aspects. Domestic and international film and TV production companies such as Lecter Media of Belgium regularly instruct the practice. The team is jointly headed by 'very intelligent and commercially strong' Marga Verwoert and 'efficient, commercially minded, and well-liked' Michiel Odink.
Marga Verwoert; Michiel Odink
‘As Leeway is formed by three experienced media and entertainment litigators it has a strong reputation in the market. Leeway is flexible in fee arrangements. Billing is timely and reasonable.‘
‘Marga Verwoert is one of the top lawyers in the media and entertainment field. She is highly appreciated for her ability to think out of the box bearing in mind both the legal requirements as well as the client’s commercial interests. She can explain the most complex matters in a simple manner. Pro-active, responsive, efficient, very intelligent and commercially strong.‘
‘Leeway has a high-quality team with a practical approach. Founding partner Michiel Odink is efficient, commercially minded, and well-liked by his clients and peers. The entire team works together very well.‘
‘Founding partner Michiel Odink is efficient, commercially minded, and well-liked by his clients and peers. He has an impressive roster of clients in the media world. Partner Remco van Leeuwen is well-versed in media law. Finally, Roel Dolk is an outstanding lawyer who also has a lot of technical expertise.‘
Martin & Lewis B.V.
NP Fashion B.V.
Rooftop Recording Studios
Sony Music International
STORM Post production B.V.
Strengholt Media Group B.V.
TP Vision Europe B.V.
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Yamaha Motors Europe B.V.
- Defending Amazon against an infringement of film rights distribution claim brought by film production company, Ignite.
- Representing Belgian independent media production house, Lecter Media, in trade mark infringement proceedings against a Dutch company.
- Assisting NP Fashion, a brand owned by actress Nikkie Plessen, with negotiations surrounding several co-operation agreements.
Corporate and litigation lawyers, tax advisers and civil law notaries all contribute their individual expertise, ensuring that the team at NautaDutilh can offer clients a fully integrated and seamless service for all media and entertainment matters. Jolize Lautenbach focuses on the regulatory side of the practice, whilst Anne Marie Verschuur is the key contact for IP matters. Homme ten Have, who heads the practice along with them, is a specialist in employment law, especially within the sports sector. Saskia Nuijten, who has extensive litigation experience before the national courts, is also recommended.
Homme ten Have; Jolize Lautenbach; Anne Marie Verschuur
Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting (NPO)
Copyrights organization Buma/Stemra
China 3D Digital Entertainment Limited
- Representing the Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting (NPO) in an administrative appeal against a financing decision made by the Minister for Culture.
- Assisting China 3D Digital Entertainment, listed in Hong Kong, with its contemplated acquisition of 4 percent of the share capital of Prime Focus World.
- Advising CoBo Fonds (Stichting Co-productiefonds Binnenlandse Omroep), a co-financing foundation linked to the public broadcaster NPO, on a new media policy framework announced by the Minister for Culture, which includes a statement that he intends to revoke a subsidy of €8.5m per year.
The team at Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV frequently acts as a legal adviser to the State of the Netherlands, and has represented both the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment and the Ministry of Justice and Security. The firm is representing the municipality of Rotterdam in defamation proceedings initiated by the client against the publisher of Sabah, a popular Turkish newspaper. Practice head Sikke Kingma is an experienced Supreme Court litigator, who frequently represents clients in disputes concerning the lawfulness of publications, particularly where unfounded accusations or infringements of privacy are concerned.
Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (Netherlands Government Information Service)
Municipality of The Hague
Municipality of Rotterdam
Dutch Public Prosecution Service
Commissariaat voor de Media (The Dutch Media Authority)
State of the Netherlands (all ministries)
Inspectie Gezondheidszorg en Jeugd (Health and Youth Care Inspectorate; IGJ)
AIVD (General Intelligence and Security Service)
Belastingdienst (Netherlands Tax and Customs Administration)
- Represented internet service provider XS4ALL in an appeal case concerning the court order requested by the Brein Foundation to block all access to the torrent index website The Pirate Bay.
- Representing the municipality of Rotterdam in defamation proceedings initiated by the client against the publisher of Sabah, a popular Turkish newspaper.
- Defending the Dutch Ministry of Justice and Security in proceedings before the District Court of The Hague against a claim of €1.2bn brought by a collective of film producers that the state encouraged the downloading of films from illegal sources by misrepresenting European law on this subject.
The team at Stibbe is focused on M&A and IP matters within the media and entertainment industries. Jan Reinier van Angeren is a key contact for transactional work. Other core team members are Judica Krikke and senior associate Jasper Klopper, both of whom handle a wide spectrum of IP work, including representing clients in infringement proceedings and cases regarding unlawful publications and reputational damage.
Van Kaam IP & Media
Boutique firm Van Kaam IP & Media has a particularly strong profile where litigious matters involving freedom of speech, defamation and privacy are concerned. The team is defending Hoogendam Media against a defamation claim that was brought by a well-known Dutch businessman who was convicted for fraud and was the subject of an article written by a monthly newspaper of which the client is the publisher. On the non-contentious side, the practice assists with drafting and negotiation of major contracts for books, social media influencers, theatre shows, and related merchandise. Bertil van Kaam and Remco Klöters are the key contacts.
Bertil van Kaam; Remco Klöters
World Press Photo Foundation
De Persgroep: the daily newspaper Trouw
- Represented RTL Nederland & Simpel Media in appeal defamation proceedings initiated by the subject of a TV programme.
- Defending Hoogendam Media in legal proceedings regarding a defamation claim that was brought by a well-known Dutch businessman who was convicted for fraud and was the subject of an article written by a monthly newspaper of which the client is the publisher.
- Advising 1Twente Enschede on a public-private co-operation with the government.
The sports sector is the key focus for the team at CMS. The practice is instructed by a range of notable clients in this area, including UEFA, the Dutch Olympic Committee, FC Utrecht, and sports marketing agency Lagardere. Team members take 'the time to listen and investigate the different possibilities' when advising on matters such as sponsorship and licensing, exploitation and enforcement of digital media rights, advertising, and IP infringement. The firm is jointly headed by experienced litigator Rogier de Vrey and Dolf Segaar, a particular expert in e-sports matters.
Dolf Segaar; Rogier de Vrey
‘The team was really interested in the business I do and spent some time researching the different elements. They had an open view on the different topics I addressed and gave open and honest feedback on the different points that were mentioned.‘
‘On an individual level they all have their own expertise and work closely together to see if they can find solutions to the points addressed in my case. They took the time to listen and investigate the different possibilities, but also shared the expertise and the risk in some cases.‘
FD Mediagroep B.V.
Yara van Kerkhof
- Advised Comcast on various television and media regulatory aspects relating to its successful auction bid for Sky.
- Advised Circle Media Group (CMG), a European printing and media group, on the sale of its interest in book printing group CPI.
- Assisted Liberty Global with the €180m sale of its DTH satellite TV operations, serving four Eastern European markets, to M7 Group.
Dikhoff van Dongen Advocaten
At niche firm Dikhoff van Dongen Advocaten, the focus falls on the film, television and theatre industries. Clients include record companies, music publishers, event organisers, screenwriters, casting agencies and producers. Rob van Dongen focuses on digital issues and privacy law. Sander Dikhoff and Gaico Bos, who come from film and television production backgrounds respectively, are also key team members.
Greenberg Traurig LLP's 'very responsive, smart and commercial' team has considerable experience in assisting a number of internationally renowned media personalities with a variety of IP issues, including drafting and negotiating contracts to secure rights over creative works. The practice also handles cross-border disputes related to trade mark and copyright issues. Clients include production studios, and music, rights, and media companies. Practice head Radboud Ribbert 'is an excellent lawyer, in particular an outstanding litigator and a fast thinker' who 'puts a lot of energy into his work for clients'.
‘We have been working with Greenberg Traurig LLP for more than 15 years already.‘
‘Radboud Ribbert is an excellent lawyer, in particular an outstanding litigator and a fast thinker, who can efficiently deal with very complex issues but at the same time always has a pragmatic solution at hand. I also appreciate his very high responsiveness.‘
‘Very responsive, smart and commercial.‘
‘Radboud Ribbert clearly stands out and provides first class quality services.‘
‘Radboud Ribbert is a key player in this area and puts a lot of energy into his work for clients.‘
‘A lot of broad IP practices claiming to do patents have proper knowledge of soft IP only, whereas GT NL has put serious effort into gaining knowledge and experience in hard IP (patent law) – which has paid off with good results.‘
‘Radboud Ribbert is a sharp, open and honest person with a hands-on mentality who gets into the details of the case and delivers no-nonsense advice. Willeke Kemkers contributes to the IP practice, both with in-depth legal knowledge and hands-on advice.‘
Stichting Nederlandse Top 40
Dylan Haegens / Liever Sociaal B.V.
DFFRNT Media B.V.
- Advising Jennifer Lopez on several European trade mark applications.
- Assisting Dffrnt Media with various IP related issues, such as the drafting of license and production agreements.
- Negotiating all the contracts regarding the production and release of a theatre film on behalf of client Dylan Haegens, a famous Dutch YouTube artist.
Hofhuis Alkema Groen
Boutique firm Hofhuis Alkema Groen has a strong focus on IP, a particular speciality of Arnout Groen, who advises clients on copyright and database rights in the digital age, and Jesse Hofhuis , a trade mark litigation expert. Adonna Alkema is also notable. She advises and litigates on all matters relating to marketing, including advertising law.
Boutique practice Hoogenraad & Haak is seen as 'the go-to law firm for advertising matters' as the team's 'sector expertise is phenomenal'. It combines IP and advertising law with expertise in the food sector, assisting clients with the full range of advisory and contentious issues. Jointly leading the team are Daniël Haije, who is 'great for cross-border matters, as he is very well connected internationally', and Ebba Hoogenraad who is 'a household name in the industry'.
Daniël Haije; Ebba Hoogenraad
‘They always gives prompt, detailed guidance and always display a good understanding of the complexities and ramifications for us, both as our own company, and in relation to our clients.‘
‘Daniël Haije has helped me delve into new and challenging areas with detailed production questions on intellectual property and long, complex client agreements. He can distil the intricacies of, for example, GDPR obligations, into clear, prioritised areas of concern. With Daniël’s input we’ve worked through contractual issues that seemed insurmountable at first.‘
‘Hoogenraad & Haak stands out from the crowd because it is the go-to law firm for advertising matters in the Netherlands. The firm’s sector expertise is phenomenal, and the lawyers are well-connected in the industry, which creates a competitive advantage for clients in high stakes negotiations or litigation. Their ready knowledge on a broad spectrum of advertising issues enables them to effortlessly keep up with the fast-paced advertising business. The firm has a dedicated client service partner, and a subscription billing model ensures that there is no barrier whatsoever to picking up the phone and calling them. Whether you are seeking advice on advertising regulatory matters, negotiating a client-agency or influencer contract, or facing comparative advertising or IP litigation, this is the firm you want to have on your side.‘
‘Daniël Haije: very accessible and pleasant to work with and he creates an open and fun work atmosphere, which in my opinion drives quality. Great for cross-border matters, as he is very well connected internationally. A creative and smart personality, who is quick on his feet in any situation.’
‘Ebba Hoogenraad is a household name in the Dutch advertising industry. Very experienced, and very knowledgeable. She is also a seasoned litigator on advertising and media matters; Ebba has handled countless pieces of litigation for many of our clients.‘
The majority of major ad agencies active on the Dutch market (including DDB, Havas Lemz, Publicis, MullenLowe Alfred, N=5, FCB, 180 Kingsday, Wieden + Kennedy)
- Defending Lidl in comparative advertising and trademark infringement litigation agains tLa Prairie.
- Representing FrieslandCampina in proceedings before the Board of Appeal of the Advertising Code Committee regarding on-pack ingredient claims.
- Representing Nationale Postcodeloterij in administrative proceedings regarding a principal matter against the Netherlands Gaming Authority.
Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan
Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan brings its understanding of 'the connection between technology and the law' to a large client roster within the video games industry. Work undertaken includes assisting with development and licensing deals for independent developers co-operating with larger publishers. In recent highlights, the team advised on negotiation of a license agreement for the John Wick franchise from Lionsgate, and the subsequent development of a game by independent developer Mike Bithell for Good Shepherd Entertainment. Quirijn Meijnen is valued for 'the international approach he has'. Meijnen heads the practice along with Olivier Oosterbaan, who 'has a great knowledge of the games industry, and a very hands-on approach'.
Olivier Oosterbaan; Quirijn Meijnen
‘As an internationally active law firm in Germany, we have worked with Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan on several occasions for our clients. We value their professional and experienced approach. The whole team is highly skilled and fast to react to any requests by clients, also outside of normal business hours.‘
‘Quirijn Meijnen is a professional and highly experienced lawyer in IP and software related issues. We value the international approach he has as well as his abilities to communicate – also in English – straight to the point and quickly. It is great to co-operate with Quirijn.‘
‘Olivier Oosterbaan is one of the partners of the firm Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan and for many years has been the legal and law expert of our company. He has the knowledge and social skills we need during meetings with our clients. Olivier is very precise in verifying documents and proposed agreements and is excellent in explaining his findings and opinions in a way people with none or little legal experience can understand.‘
‘Olivier is very available and easy to work with. He has good knowledge of the topics at hand.‘
‘Olivier Oosterbaan has a great knowledge of the games industry, and a very hands-on approach. He is our “go to” lawyer in that field.‘
‘Hands on, quick to respond, knowledgeable.‘
‘We work with Olivier Oosterbaan a lot. He knows our company (our needs), he knows what is going on in the industry, and is casual to talk with (we speak the same language).‘
‘Their capability to work out legal issues quickly without instantly legalising them is unique. The company focus is on quality and long-term. Excellent compliancy.‘
‘Quirijn Meijnen: knows all about intellectual property. Has a wide network and a lot of experience. Helped our start-up on legal issues like IP, corporate structure, stakeholder engagement and software licence agreements. Agreements are compact and to the point. Perfect fit with our agile software development.‘
‘The connection between technology and the law (in particular GDPR) in the digital ads and gaming environment.‘
Good Shepherd Entertainment
Greentube Internet Entertainment GmbH
Transport Info B.V.
- Advised Good Shepherd Entertainment on contract negotiation for John Wick Hex, a video game based on the John Wick movie franchise from Lionsgate, currently in development by independent game director Mike Bithell Games.
At Simmons & Simmons, the team offers a 'pragmatic and practical approach' to a range of media-related issues. It advises on defamation and allegations of fake news, and fake reviews, advertising disputes as well as transactional work such as the negotiation of licences. Practice head Paul Tjiam brings a 'creative and solution-oriented approach' to soft IP and freedom of speech matters. The key contact for litigious issues is Bas Berghuis and counsel Machteld Hiemstra is also noted.
‘The team I worked with on an important media case was pro-active and hands on and really helped us to build our file. Great responsiveness and pragmatic and practical approach.‘
‘Paul Tjam – easy to work with, approachable, very knowledgeable on both legal and procedural matters, pro-active, creative and solution-oriented approach.‘
JP van Eesteren / TBI Holdings
- Representing Terumo in appeal proceedings concerning a decision made by the Court of Amsterdam which ruled that Avrotros and its journalists acted unlawfully against the client.
- Representing Van Egten in multiple defamation disputes against Gerard Sanderink, owner of Strukton and Centric.
- Advising The Word, a large Afro-American religious television network, on negotiating and obtaining appropriate broadcast licenses for the EU and the Netherlands.