Working out of the firm's offices in The Hague and Amsterdam, Bird & Bird's team handles domestic, European and multi-jurisdictional mandates. Its broad expertise spans advertising, copyright, gaming, content distribution, supervision and enforcement by regulators, privacy, and Freedom of Information Act-related cases. The firm acts for large multinational media organisations, smaller domestic companies and also individuals. Olaf Trojan focuses on freedom of speech and internet-related matters. Paul Waszink is adept at handling regulatory matters in the telecoms and media sectors.
Industry focus: Media and entertainment in Netherlands
Olaf Trojan; Paul Waszink
Other key lawyers:
Janneke Kohlen; Wilfred Steenbruggen
- Successfully litigated on behalf of NPO regarding the digital broadcasting of is Dutch language music oriented radio channel ‘SterrenNL’.
- Acting for Kaspersky Lab on multiple and complex Freedom of Information Act proceedings initiated against the Minister of Interior Affairs as well as the Minister of Justice and Security.
- Advising DPG Media on the defence of a number defamation claims following the publication of various articles in the largest Dutch daily newspaper on the apparent leakage by a well-known criminal defence lawyer of secret documents to the most-wanted criminal in The Netherlands.
Brinkhof is highly regarded in the market for its commercial and regulatory work, and involvement in headline litigation. With a focus on work in the media, broadcast, internet and telecoms space, the firm acts for major international broadcasters, telecoms providers and online technology firms, such as Google and T-Mobile. Practice head Remy Chavannes is recommended for media and copyright law. Quinten Kroes has over 20 years’ experience in the TMT market and is adept at handling litigation. Counsel Dorien Verhulst has specialist knowledge of online reputation management and intermediary liability.
Other key lawyers:
Quinten Kroes; Dorien Verhulst
‘A true understanding of business needs’.
‘Remy Chavannes has creative ideas to solve one-of-a-kind problems and is relentlessly exploring new solutions’.
‘They have particular strengths on intellectual property and commercial law’.
‘They take the time to properly understand the challenges their tech clients face and proactively offer suggestions and options’.
‘A good all round service, they are happy to integrate and connect with client systems’.
‘Remy Chavannes is an extremely knowledgeable and dedicated external counsel’.
‘Remy Chavannes is an excellent lawyer in his field, sharp in his analysis, with excellent knowledge of EU law and the decisions of the Court of Justice’.
‘Remy Chavannes leads an effective, skilled team; blending intellectual property and media law in a pragmatic approach to business solutions’.
Association of Dutch Commercial Radio broadcasters
Fox Channels International
Eredivisie Media & Marketing
FD Mediagroep including newspaper Het Financieele Dagblad and business intelligence provider Company.info
RTL Group / RTL Nederland
- Representing Google in all its Dutch litigation, including the ‘right to be forgotten’, customer data requests, notice and takedown, product counselling and regulatory compliance.
- Acting for pan-European commercial broadcasting organisation RTL Group in landmark litigation before the Belgian Counsel of State in relation to jurisdiction over RTL’s Belgian channels.
- Acting for the Association of Dutch Commercial Radio Broadcasters, which represents the Netherlands’ national commercial radio broadcasters, as well as individual member broadcasters, in high-stakes performing-rights rate-setting litigation against collective management organisation Sena.
Kennedy Van der Laan
The media and IP team at Kennedy Van der Laan stands out for its expertise in internet-related litigation, defamation, copyright and media regulation. Its client roster includes top Dutch and international TV and radio broadcasters, production companies, newspapers, magazine and book publishers, social media companies and political parties. Head of practice Jens van den Brink is a media litigator with a focus on matters relating to free speech, copyright and digital issues. Counsel Christien Wildeman handles defamation and copyright litigation.
Jens van den Brink
Other key lawyers:
Joran Spauwen; Christien Wildeman
‘The team is able to dismantle complex problems, strip it to the core and provide very clear advice on the best way to act’.
‘Compared to other firms, Kennedy Van der Laan’s partners and lawyers are very personal in their contact’.
‘Christien Wildeman and Jens van den Brink, who do most of my cases, are very energetic and engaged and will take their time to discuss cases’.
‘In The Netherlands, there’s no team as specialised as the media team at Kennedy Van der Laan’.
‘They are friendly and smart and always available for advice’.
‘Christien Wildeman excels in her self-confident and goal-oriented way of working’.
‘Extremely high quality lawyers’.
‘The team found all kinds of creative ways for journalists to protect the identity of their sources’.
Facebook / Instagram
Eredivisie C.V. (Dutch Premier League – a Fox/Disney subsidiary)
- Acted on behalf of Facebook in high-profile litigation against Dutch media mogul John de Mol, broadcaster AVROTROS and tv presenter Van de Westelaken, over advertising on Facebook and Instagram.
- Representing internet provider Ziggo in litigation against Dutch movie distributor Dutch Film Works.
- Acted on behalf of newspaper NRC Handelsblad in a high-profile #metoo scandal involving a law professor and former judge at the university of Amsterdam.
Boutique media, IP and privacy firm Boekx Advocaten is highly regarded for defamation and high-profile litigation in the media space. The team is active in a broad range of sectors, including online publishing, newspapers, magazines, TV, film production and entertainment. Drawing on expertise from its IP practitioners, the firm is well placed to handle contentious and non-contentious content-related issues. Head of practice Matthijs Kaaks acts for claimants and defendants in defamation suits and has particular experience in the aviation industry.
Other key lawyers:
Otto Volgenant; Marc de Boer; Fulco Blokhuis
Dutch Association of Journalists
European Union (EU Commission)
Warner Bros. Television (Including local subsidiaries e.g. BlazzHofski)
Art of Entertainment Group
- Representing Snappet in a landmark case about IP rights in online education methods.
- Representing the Dutch Association of Journalists in a landmark dispute on fair remuneration of journalists
- Representing Picnic in a landmark case against Max Verstappen.
The TMT department at bureau Brandeis is well regarded for handling high-profile and complex disputes, often with an international aspect. It has deep expertise in the areas of digital copyright and internet liability, and has been involved in various digital initiatives, including VOD platforms. The firm is also active in the entertainment and publishing industries, focusing on books, music and film. Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm is an experienced litigator and his niche area of expertise lies at the intersection between copyright enforcement and intermediary liability. Machteld Robichon and Hans Bousie are other key names.
Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm; Machteld Robichon; Hans Bousie
‘Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm is a first-class lawyer who can capture legal issues and apply his legal reasoning in a very convincing way’.
‘The team has a high level of legal knowledge, and also understands the business very well’.
‘They are well informed about the most recent developments in the market, as well as relevant jurisprudence’.
‘The team is easily accessible and available, and they show a pro-active attitude’.
‘The team is capable and willing to explore new paths, getting the best out of a case’.
‘Very to-the-point, up-to-date and easy-going people’.
‘Each individual has both high level intellectual and social skills’.
‘They are reliable, committed and extremely professional with a great personal touch’.
Dutch Publishers Association (NUV)
public broadcasters AT5 and NH Nieuws
Music Creations Publishing B.V.
Hugo Langras (Montana Realty Company B.V.)
- Advised Spinnin Records and Music All Stars in an appeal against DJ Martin Garrix in a widely watched dispute re contractual and IP matters.
- Advising Netflix in relation to a compliance case around its Live Chat feature.
- Represented Netflix before the European Court of Justice in a case against the European Commission’s decision of 1 September 2016 declaring an amendment to the German Film Fund Scheme compatible with the internal market.
The media and marketing team at Höcker Advocaten handles transactional, advisory and contentious matters. Collective management rights is a key area of focus for the practice and it acts for a number of music, audio-visual and literary rights collecting societies in this space. It also acts for advertising agencies on contract, litigation and IP matters. Jacqueline Seignette advises national and international clients in the entertainment and IT sectors. Joep Meddens is a key name for advertising and privacy matters. Marijn Kingma is recommended for copyright and strategic litigation.
Jacqueline Seignette; Joep Meddens
Other key lawyers:
Marc Wolters; Marijn Kingma; Willem Roos
‘I know many high-quality Dutch law firms, but it is to Höcker that I have been loyal for many years’.
‘Marijin Kima and Willem Ross are always supportive, responsive, highly qualified and involved in the professional world’.
‘It helps me enormously to be able to serenely recommend loyal, rigorous, reliable experts to my best clients’.
‘This team is at the forefront of innovation’.
‘Marijin Kingma is a woman for action, very convincing and she knows how to develop the best strategies’.
‘Willem Roos is a great lawyer and a great entertainment lawyer’.
‘Höcker are fast responders and deliver high-quality material’.
‘Marijn Kingma from Höcker makes us feel she’s our own company-lawyer rather than a lawyer from a law firm’.
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe, SIAE Benelux
Stichting de Thuiskopie
Motion Picture Association (MPA)
- Representing Stichting LIRA in proceedings against Dutch cable operators Ziggo and Delta.
- Advised RadioCorp on several cases regarding the use of RadioCorp IP, including the use of RadioCorp trade marks by competitors and the unauthorised use of trade marks on merchandising.
- Representing Dutch music collecting society Buma Stemra in a litigation before the District Court of Amsterdam brought by Dutch trade organisation ABMD and seven online music distributors.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER
IP specialist boutique HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER operates across Europe from its offices in Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Paris, Brussels and Madrid. It is adept at handling cross-border media and entertainment litigation, and also advises corporates on unfair advertising. Head of practice Joris van Manen is a key name for trade mark, copyright, media, internet and IT matters. Laura Fresco is also noted.
Joris van Manen
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly specialised and very responsive.‘
Jimi Hendrix Estate
John Lennon Estate
MC&F Broadcasting Production and Distribution
Motion Picture Association of America
- Successfully litigated on behalf of BREIN, winning a copyright case against access providers Ziggo and XS4ALL before the Dutch Supreme Court and the EU Court of Justice.
- Acted successfully for Sony Entertainment against a group which hacked the Sony servers and put parts of the then unreleased video game The Last of Us, Part II online.
- Acting on behalf of the estate of Jimi Hendrix against various abuses of the late Jimi Hendrix personality rights across the EU.
In the media and entertainment arena, Leeway acts for household name clients, including Warner Bros and Amazon, and also individuals such as models, soccer players, vloggers, TV stars and comedians. It has niche expertise in relation to marketing and advertising law, film finance litigation, domain name issues and privacy matters. Other areas of focus include trade marks, trade names, copyright, design rights and consumer law. Marga Verwoert and Michiel Odink head the team.
Marga Verwoert; Michiel Odink
‘Team Leeway is a powerhouse firm with a broad practice’.
‘It excels in a number of areas and that’s why they stand out in their field’.
‘The team can handle big ticket items because the lawyers can cover all areas of media and entertainment such as copyright licensing, contract issues, press and reputational matters’.
‘The team collaborates internationally very efficiently with their network of friend firms’.
‘Partner Marga Verwoert is as pragmatic as she is brilliant, which is a golden combination in the entertainment industry’.
‘Michiel Odink has an excellent reputation for his work for broadcasters and entertainment tech license’.
‘Leeway gives the impression of a tightly run, very efficient shop’.
‘Large enough to handle all types of IP cases yet small enough to provide made-to-measure service’.
Warner Music Group
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc
Strengholt Media Group
- Handling contentious matters for Warner Music.
- Handling all Warner Bros’ intellectual property for all WB and Hanna-Barbera trade marks across Benelux.
- Successfully represented Amazon in settling highly complex litigation against movie production company Ignite BV.
Van Doorne’s practice focuses on corporate and advisory matters in the media and entertainment sector, and also handles contracts, licenses, and disputes and litigation. The practice is well placed to handle multi-faceted media projects, drawing on expertise from its IP, IT, corporate, employment and tax groups. Kriek Wille is a key name for sponsorship and endorsement projects, production and licensing, and litigation. Jeroen Sombezki, who jointly heads the practice with Wille, focuses on M&A, private equity and venture capital transactions. Arbitration specialist Rogier Schellaars joined as partner from Simmons & Simmons.
Kriek Wille; Jeroen Sombezki
Other key lawyers:
‘Kriek Wille is an extremely skilled litigator’.
‘Kriek Wille is an excellent lawyer in every way, and she knows how to leverage her skilled team’.
‘Kriek Wille is in a league of her own, not only is she extremely smart, business savvy and knowledgeable, but she also is a lot of fun to be around’.
‘In their advice, they weighed everything which got us the best result possible, beyond any expectation’.
‘Able to dedicate the right professionals to the issues that matter’.
‘Kriek Wille is a great professional, highly dedicated and very well-known in the media and communications business’.
‘Kriek Wille is a clever litigator, and as a result is very helpful in the transaction practice as well’.
Bertram Group Limited
Erdee Media Group
Influencer Marketing Agency
Keesing Media Group
Medialane Theater BV
Medialane TV BV
Platform Media Adviesbureaus
Stardust Holding BV
Tele 2 Works Council
Telegraaf Media Group
The Player Management
Uitgeverij Nieuw Amsterdam
Unitel International Holdings
Vous Hotels & Retreats
- Advised Stardust Holding B.V. on strategic and contractual aspects of future partnerships and investments in the US and throughout Europe.
- Representing New Amsterdam Publishing B.V. in litigation (now in appeal) relating to a long-lasting conflict with parties who feel that their reputation is damaged due to various publications and actions of the client.
- Advising MediaLane Theater B.V., developer and producer of a wide range of TV, live and theatre formats, on a plethora of legal areas relating to the expansion of the business into Germany.
Visser Schaap & Kreijger has strong knowledge of the publishing sector, with expertise acting for collecting societies and advising on copyright contract law. With a strong litigation practice, the firm also handles trade marks, designs, internet and media issues, defamation and privacy. Jacqueline Schaap has 30 years’ experience in media and IP and counts publishers, TV producers and broadcasters among her client base. Well known IP professor Dirk Visser co-heads the team with Schaap. Senior associate Patty de Leeuwe is noted for copyright issues.
Jacqueline Schaap; Dirk Visser
Other key lawyers:
Paul Kreijger; Patty de Leeuwe
‘Very capable, knowledgeable, quick thinking, and quick responding lawyers who provide their services for competitive fees’.
‘Dirk Visser is sharp, a very quick thinker and very knowledgeable’.
‘Their experience and expertise, particularly in cases concerning potentially unlawful media publications or broadcasts, is unparalleled’.
‘Jacqueline Schaap is very experienced and one of the best media lawyers in the country’.
‘Patty de Leeuw is a rising star within the firm; smart, knowledgeable and very friendly’.
‘The team is truly aware of all latest innovations and techniques used in media and relevant case law’.
‘Jacqueline Schaap is very pragmatic, commercially sound and a very warm personality’.
‘Dirk Visser is an authority on all IP legislation’.
Endemol Shine Nederland
ITV Studios Netherlands
Talpa Entertainment Producties
NDP Dutch news Media Association
NCP Dutch Content Producers
- Representing John de Mol and Talpa Network in proceedings against Facebook resulting in a court order for Facebook to prevent and stop misleading bitcoin ads using De Mol’s name and image.
- Represented Stichting BREIN in obtaining ex parte injunctions against three hosting providers to shut down IP-addresses that were used by one of the worlds’ largest videobalancers “Moonwalk” for infringing activities.
- Successful in preventing preliminary witness hearings in a case for a music record company which was accused of not taking sufficient action against unlawful behaviour of some rappers, a case started by a foundation of #metoo victims.
DLA Piper’s global media, sport and entertainment practice draws on cross-practice and cross-border expertise from its international network of offices. Its broad expertise includes corporate issues, IP protection and enforcement, antitrust and competition, and disputes. Richard van Schaik has over 20 years’ experience in the media and entertainment industry, handling contentious and non-contentious matters, including data protection.
Richard van Schaik
Interactive Advertising Bureau Nederland (IAB Nederland)
Ocean Outdoor (formerly: Ngage Media)
Disney / Marvel
Omnicom Media Group
- Assisting ASICS with its digital advertising programme, which includes setting up its cookies programme, advising on marketing communication and new marketing initiatives from a legal point of view, as well as negotiating media contracts.
- Assisting Zenimax in the field of digital and personalised advertising.
- Assisting beIN Sports with an RFP for a new OTT (over-the-top) platform provider.
Boutique firm Hoogenraad & Haak focuses on advertising, IP and food law. Advertising law litigation is a key pillar of strength for the practice and it acts for large multinational corporations in this area. As the only Dutch member of the Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance, the firm is well placed to handle international mandates. Daniel Haije is experienced in advertising and trade mark infringement and protection issues. Ebba Hoogenraad jointly heads the team with Haije.
Daniël Haije; Ebba Hoogenraad
‘Great niche firm with very pleasant people’.
‘They have a quick response time and a problem-solving, go-getting attitude’.
‘Daniël Haije is always fun to work with, he is quick witted and goal oriented’.
‘Hoogenraad & Haak is always able to get to the heart of the issues at play and offer practical guidance on how to approach every query’.
‘Ebba Hoogenraad is very enthusiastic and has a great eye for detail’.
‘The team is always accessible and ready for action’.
‘They have a good knowledge of the advertising industry and always come up with practical solutions’.
‘Energetic team, knowledgeable and approachable’.
Wieden + Kennedy
- Representing Lidl in high-stakes trade mark litigation against Grolsch, following a massive media campaign.
- Providing an advertising helpdesk service for members of ad industry organization VEA.
- Defending Lidl against the “Consumentenbond” in proceedings before the Advertising Code Committee about a self-designed “best tested” logo and the use of test results.
In the media space, Houthoff specialises in Supreme Court litigation and high-end M&A. Thomas de Weerd heads the practice and is experienced in IT, e-business, outsourcing, and other technology-related transactions. Counsel Thijs Van Aerde is experienced in litigating media law-related cases before the Supreme Court, the European Court of Justice and the Dutch Appeal and District Courts.
Thomas de Weerd
Other key lawyers:
Thijs van Aerde
eBay Classifieds Group / Marktplaats.nl
Media Markt / Saturn
Volvo, Kia, Renault, FIAT, Subaru, Mazda, Ford, Pon’s Automobielhandel (Volkswagen Netherlands), Jaguar Land Rover and other car manufacturers and importers
Telegraaf Media Group
RDW (Dienst Wegverkeer)
- Representing Stichting BREIN in Supreme Court litigation against Usenet provider News-Service Europe (NSE).
- Successfully represented the charitable Johan Cruyff Foundation in first instance defamation proceedings before the summary relief judge of the Amsterdam District Court against a journalist and a publisher.
Le Poole Bekema
Boutique firm Le Poole Bekema is strongly focused on media law, IP and data privacy. It is well known for high-profile defamation, copyright and advertising litigation. The practice is a popular choice for supervisory and self-regulatory authorities in the media and advertising industry, and also collective rights societies and copyrights. Bas Le Poole is well regarded for freedom of speech litigation in the broadcasting and print publishing space; he heads the team with Anne Bekema, Laura Broers and Maurice Joppe.
Anne Bekema; Laura Broers; Bas Le Poole; Maurice Joppe
‘The team is knowledgeable, quick to respond and provides clear and concise in wording their advice’.
‘Laura Broers and Anne Bekema provide excellent counsel in the field of copyright and freedom of expression’.
Caryn Mandabach Productions
Bosh Siemens Hausgerate
Kawasaki Motors Europe
Stichting Regionale Publieke Omroep
Endemol Shine Group
Vincent TV Producties
Nedfilm & Television
- Successfully represented Mediahuis in summary proceedings started by a Dutch celebrity, concerning a publication in the magazine Privé regarding a relationship between two well-known Dutch celebrities.
- Representing Terumo in a high-profile defamation litigation.
- Representing Ryanair in respect of a request under the Government Information (Public Access) Act.
As principal legal adviser to the state of the Netherlands, Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is often involved in high-profile litigation involving the Dutch State or national and local government bodies. It has a strong track record handling defamation and freedom of speech cases, and also assists with database, trade mark and other IP matters. Team head Sikke Kingma focuses on copyright and media law and has experience of litigating before the Supreme Court.
Other key lawyers:
Municipality of The Hague
Municipality of Rotterdam
Dutch Public Prosecution Service
Commissariaat voor de Media
State of the Netherlands
- Represented Sena, the Dutch Foundation for the Exploitation of Neighbouring Rights, in Supreme Court proceedings against music publisher All Music Publishing (AMP), who claimed a supplementary payment of millions of euros for the use of one of its compositions as background music by home shopping channel Tell Sell on the RTL television networks.
- Representing the Rotterdam City Council and one of its councillors in defamation proceedings against the publisher of Sabah, one of the best-read Turkish newspapers.
- Successfully represented NVWA (the Dutch Food Safety Authority) in summary proceedings initiated by NRC Handelsblad-photographer Middendorp, who was (financially) supported by the Press Freedom Fund (‘Persvrijheidsfonds’).
Van Kaam IP & Media
Boutique firm Van Kaam IP & Media handles high-stakes litigation relating to freedom of speech, defamation and privacy issues. It also advises on commercial contracts in the media and entertainment spheres, and has a niche expertise in internet broadcasting-related cases where people’s rights to privacy have been infringed. Bertil van Kaam counts film production and broadcasting companies, publishers, theatre producers, performance artists and celebrities among his clients. Remco Klöters is another key name.
Bertil van Kaam; Remco Klöters
Other key lawyers:
Jurian van Groenendaal
‘They are very creative, fast thinking and have a strong and important profile on matters involving freedom of speech and privacy issues’.
‘Remco Klöters did an excellent job and I was very lucky to have found an open-minded lawyer who completely understood my situation’.
‘The collaboration was perfect’.
‘Knowledgeable, user-friendly, dynamic firm specialising in defamation’.
‘Remco Klöters is an extremely strong tactical defamation practitioner’.
‘Proactive and easy to work with’.
‘Clear advice, not afraid to take a tough stance’.
‘Quite simply in a field of their own, a high-quality firm with an impeccable reputation in a field where quality is sometimes hard to distinguish’.
World Press Photo Foundation
- Successfully represented AVROTROS in appeal defamation proceedings brought by the quoted Japanese pharmaceutical company Terumo, after AVROTROS broadcasted two revealing episodes for ‘EenVandaag’ about ‘’glue needles’’ with potential health risks in 2015 and in which the opposing party claimed damages around €15-20m.
- Successfully represented AVROTROS in a high-profile defamation case around the Dutch TV programme ‘Opgelicht?!’ that broadcasted an item about the activities of the Kluivert Dog Rescue Foundation (KDRF), the charity company of a Dutch celebrity called Rossana Kluivert.
- Successfully represented a Moluccan volunteer in a defamation case in which members of a rival organisation published an article in which false accusations were made about the client.
Under the leadership of Dolf Segaar and Rogier de Vrey, the team at CMS focuses on a range of matters in the media, entertainment and sports sectors. Areas of expertise include corporate and M&A, competition and media regulation. Segaar specialises in sports matters, including governance, sport-related litigation, broadcasting and digital media, e-sports and events.
Dolf Segaar; Rogier de Very
Capgemini / Sogeti
- Advised De Graafschap and Cambuur after the KNVB decided not to apply promotion and relegation as a result of the Covid-19 crisis, with the result that neither De Graafschap nor Cambuur will play in the Premier League the next season.
Greenberg Traurig LLP is highly regarded for domestic and cross-border disputes relating to trade mark and copyright. Key clients include US companies, world famous DJs, pop groups and artists. Head of practice Radboud Ribbert handles IP and entertainment law matters, and has noted experience of cross-border IP litigation. Willeke Kemkers provides additional support at associate level.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a very strong “can-do” approach and does not hesitate taking on cases that are complex’.
‘They patiently study and discuss the problematic issues until they have the answers they need’.
‘Radboud Ribbert is a strong team player and motivator’.
‘Radboud Ribbert passionate about his cases and clients, and actively looks for opportunities to tackle difficult issues’.
‘Very professional and responsive’.
‘Always willing to assist, 24/7 service, very professional’.
‘Radboud Ribbert is an excellent lawyer in IP with a hands-on approach and very good client sensitivity’.
Stichting Nederlandse Top 40
Dylan Haegens / Liever Sociaal B.V.
National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences
The Analogues / Over Easy BV
- Representing Jennifer Lopez in several European trade mark applications and trade mark-related issues.
- Making deals with (the publisher of) the Beatles on synchronisation rights for the use of the Beatles music in a movie and in a documentary to be broadcasted on public television.
- Representing American pop artist Katy Perry with all kind of European trade mark applications, or trade mark-related issues.
Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan
Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan's team is led by Olivier Oosterbaan, Quirijn Meijnen and Maarten Leopold. Oosterbaan is active in the video games industry and ad-tech industry, and is also adept at handling contract work for SaaS clients; Meijnen focuses on the electronics and media industries; and Leopold is a music, media and events rights specialist.
Olivier Oosterbaan; Quirijn Meijnen; Maarten Leopold
‘A good team for IP enforcement litigation and for games and other entertainment matters, including defamation claims’.
‘Olivier Oosterbaan is a creative problem solver and a joy to work with’.
‘The team is very responsive and provides highly qualified, ready-to-use and hands-on advice within their fields of expertise’.
‘Great boutique law firm for media, IP and internet law’.
‘Their team is highly skilled and works fast and accurately and can be reached fast when needed, including during evenings, weekends and holidays’.
‘Olivier Oosterbaan is excellent in explaining his findings and opinions in a way people with no, or little, legal experience can understand’.
‘Very easy and no-nonsense firm’.
‘Pro-active with changes and developments in the world, regarding their field of operations’.
Good Shepherd Entertainment
Greentube Internet Entertainment GmbH
Transport Info B.V.
Sony ATV (Holland)
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons handles a range of media law-related matters, including TV licensing in the Netherlands and Europe, and litigation. Its broad client base ranges from acting for individuals in defamation cases, to acting for multinationals in media and advertising litigation. Paul Tjiam heads the team and is adept at handling cases concerning freedom of speech, libel and slander.
Other key lawyers:
- Assisting Mrs. Van Egten in a large defamation matter.
- Acting for Terumo in litigation against Dutch public broadcaster AVROTROS.
- Successfully represented De Oost B.V. in proceedings against Google Inc. in order to have fake reviews removed and to retrieve the IP and contact details of the person that posted the reviews.