Known as an ‘outstanding law firm in media and entertainment’, Bird & Bird leverages its international network to handle a wide ambit of complex multijurisdictional work in the sector. Its work covers advertising, copyright, gaming, content distribution, supervision and enforcement by regulators, sponsoring, gambling and privacy issues. The group also has particular expertise in freedom of information requests and platform liability work. Olaf Trojan, who is a specialist in freedom of speech and internet-related matters, co-leads the team with Paul Waszink, who focus on regulatory matters in the telecoms and in media space.
Industry focus: Media and entertainment in Netherlands
Olaf Trojan; Paul Waszink
‘Bird & Bird is the outstanding law firm in media and entertainment. The lawyers provide us with the best advice and legal services. They collaborate in the production of news items, by helping the journalists to understand all the important legal issues. When it comes to lawsuits, we know we will find the best team there is available.’
‘Olaf Trojan is the main partner when it comes to legal advice and services. He is the best in his line of work. He is always available when his expertise is needed and he never fails in bringing the right answers and advice.’
‘In general, the number of Dutch law firms with a similarly specialized media practice is very limited. Their experience with media-related litigation is extensive and I would gladly contact them again for similar disputes.’
‘Olaf Trojan is very involved and proactive, in addition to being an expert in his field. His availability to deal with urgent matters was also noteworthy.’
‘I only have experience with B&B as they are my employers preferred legal office. From my experience, they are very precise and open to arguments to look and approach the case from a different angle.’
‘I’ve worked together with Paul Waszink. Paul is very thorough and precise. He listens to the client’s input and uses it whenever it is applicable.’
‘The practice shows exceptional committent and involvement. Our company is handled with utmost care and prudence. Thanks to Bird&Bird we have been successful while negotiation the immense complexity of building partnerships with multinational leaders in the marketplace.’
‘Olaf Trojan is an extremely skill full lawyer and advisor. His work is both critical and protective towards the client and has been successful without exception. He is one of these rare, smart and sharp minds, you really want on your side of the table.’
- Acted for NPO, who continued its winning streak in a 6 year litigation battle regarding the digital broadcasting of is Dutch language music oriented radio channel “SterrenNL”. The litigation was started by RadioCorp B.V., owner of Dutch music radio channel “100% NL”, claiming that SterrenNL was unfairly competing with 100%NL.
- Acted for Kaspersky Lab in multiple and complex Freedom of Information Act proceedings initiated by against the Minister of Interior Affairs as well as the Minister of Justice and Security. The proceedings regard information concerning the decision by the central government to phase out Kaspersky Antivirus software.
- Acted for DPG Media in defence against a number of defamation claims following the publication of various articles in the largest Dutch daily newspaper AD on the apparent leakage by a well-known criminal defence lawyer of secret documents to Ridouan Taghi, the most-wanted criminal in The Netherlands.
Brinkhof combines ‘state of the art legal knowledge with a very practical approach’. It fields a team of ‘excellent high-class lawyers with in-depth knowledge of entertainment rights and neighbouring rights, which they keep very up to date’. The firm is noted for its work in the media, broadcast, internet and telecoms sectors. Remy Chavannes acts for clients such as broadcasters and publishers, as well as internet platforms and providers. He advises on a range of matters and litigates cases involving the intersection of copyright, freedom of expression and privacy. He co-heads the team with telecoms, media and copyright expert Dorien Verhulst. Another key name in the area is counsel Anke Strijbos, who is experienced in media, copyright and internet litigation, privacy and IT contracting.
Remy Chavannes; Dorien Verhulst
Other key lawyers:
Anke Strijbos; Anne Bruna
‘Brinkhof really bridges the legal discussion back and forth to the digital service offering, business models and commercial strategy of clients. In this way, the legal strategy and approach gets deeply embedded into and aligned with the overall commercial course of its clients. As a concrete illustration; Brinkhof tangibly understands the digital product offering of my company and how it is different from other alternatives in the market.’
‘The team combines state of the art legal knowledge with a very practical approach, founded in a true understanding of the fact that there is often a gap between the amount of additional research and discussions that should ideally be had on a certain situation and the reality of the business floor.’
‘Remy Chavannes is an excellent partner. It is a true joy to work with him. He is analytical and very capable of translating complex legal situations into practical and straightforward advice. Besides that, he has a good radar for political sensitivities and acts strategically where required. Remy is the kind of lawyer that can make his client swallow a bitter legal pill and still be thanked for it by a group of happy people at the end of the call.’
‘Its knowledge in those highly specialised areas (such as media, copyright, information, privacy and IT law) is excellent and the reason I choose this law firm when I need help in any of these area’s. It is on top of its game, also when it comes to innovative areas. It has extensive knowledge of the business I am in, which knowledge does not always seem to be present as much at other law firms I’ve engaged with.’
‘I’ve mostly worked with Remy Chavannes (Partner), Anke Strijbos and Anne Bruna. Remy Chavannes’ knowledge of the media industry is exceptional, which is a really big must for any case I deal with due to it having so many particularities. All 3 lawyers seem to have that rare quality that, despite being legal purists and performing on a high adademic level, they are still able to have a pragmatic and down to earth approach in terms of communication, setting out strategy and problem solution. And above all, they are really pleasant to deal with and very commited to each case they deal with.’
‘Brinkhof consists of excellent high-class lawyers with an in-depth knowledge of entertainment rights and neighbouring rights, which they keep very up to date.’
‘Both Remy Chavannes and Anke Strijbos are the lawyers I’m working with most. Excellent toprated lawyers who ‘take on’a case and act as their own law firm is at stake if they lose it.’
Association of Dutch Commercial Radio broadcasters
Fox Channels International
Eredivisie Media & Marketing
RTL Group/RTL Nederland
Sky Radio and Radio Veronica, two radio stations which are part of Talpa Radio
- Representing Google in all of its Dutch litigation, including acting for its video platform YouTube in cutting-edge proceedings concerning the take-down of two videos due to violations of Google’s COVID 19 disinformation policies. The case was at the epicentre of a big public debate relating to censorship versus the avoidance of disinformation.
- Acting for pan-European commercial broadcasting organisation RTL Group in administrative litigation in Belgium relating to jurisdiction over RTL’s French-language Belgian channels.
- Acting for the Association of Dutch Commercial Radio Broadcasters, which represents the Netherlands’ national commercial radio broadcasters, as well as individual member broadcasters, in high-stakes performing-rights rate-setting litigation against collective management organisation Sena.
Kennedy Van der Laan
The ‘large team of media and entertainment law specialists’ at Kennedy Van der Laan ‘always delivers in often sensitive cases’. Fielding ‘very good litigators’, the firm specialises in internet-related litigation and defamation/free speech cases, as well as providing expertise in content production and transaction matters, including film and media productions and content transactions. Team head Jens Van Den Brink is a renowned media litigator with many years of experience in media defence work. Another key name is Christien Wildeman, who focuses on major defamation and copyright litigation matters in the Netherlands.
Jens van den Brink
Other key lawyers:
‘Real diversity of expertise that has helped our company in a variety of ways. They have offered guidance over a number of sensitive subject areas, often to extremely tight time frames and deadlines. This assistance has been invaluable. It’s not an exaggeration to say that we would not have been able to do some of the most prominent work we have done in recent times without them.’
‘They have a genuine passion for the work they do, something that really shines through in the way they have engaged with us. They have also helped guide us through some extremely tricky legal queries and opened up their network of contacts in a number of countries around the world when questions regarding different jurisdictions arise.’
‘Creative approach, good business sense and knowledge, strong litigation skills, proactive.’
‘Large team of media and entertainment law specialists. Always delivers in often sensitive cases. Very good litigators.’
‘I work closely with Jens van den Brink. Very good litigator and spokesmen if necessary.’
- Acted on behalf of Facebook in a landmark case on whether people can demand an online platform to carry their speech. Claimant was the main corona sceptical movement in the Netherlands (Viruswaarheid).
- Acted for Ziggo (the biggest Dutch cable operator / ISP) in litigation brought by BREIN (the joint anti-piracy organisation of Dutch rights holders) over providing access to the Pirate Bay.
- Acted for Newspaper NRC vs. law professor and judge Mr. B. NRC published a major article on a #metoo scandal that lasted for more than 15 years in the legal department at the university of Amsterdam (UvA). B, former professor and judge in the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, sued NRC to prevent his name being published.
Boutique firm Boekx Advocaten combines practices in media, IP and privacy. Its work covering all aspects of the media and related industries, including online publishing, newspapers, magazines, TV, film production and entertainment via any platform. The firm is known as a leading defamation law practice and is involved in a range of media litigation. Defamation expert Matthijs Kaaks leads the team and acts for claimants and defendants. He is a specialist in investigative journalism and defamation issues in corporate environments.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great commitment and professional dedication combined with a personal and informal approach. Quality and efficiency are self-evident. Direct involvement in the case by the leading lawyers in the media practice, Matthijs Kaaks and Otto Volgenant. Maximum accessibility. In case of an emergency, at the weekend or in the evening. The amount of the invoices is determined in consultation afterwards, tailored to the client’s expectations and in line with the service provided. This is not the case at many other offices.’
‘I have been working with Matthijs Kaaks for over twenty years in many media procedures / lawsuits. His effectiveness and creativity are fantastic. A great strategist and excellent litigator with a good eye for the world of media. In large cases, he works together with Otto Volgenant, who works at the same level and is also scientifically well versed. He, too, excels in media cases, with an excellent presentation.’
Dutch Association of Journalists
Warner Bros. Television Production
Follow The Money
- Represented Sumo Sushi in a case against the State of the Netherlands and Selfmade Films regarding an unauthorised documentary about tax investigations.
- Represented Dutch Association of Journalists in a landmark case against publisher Persgroep on equitable remuneration of freelance journalists.
- Represented Snappet on appeal and before the Supreme Court in ground-breaking case about copyright protection of educational content.
bureau Brandeis specialises in litigation related to digital copyright, IP and internet liability, and the firm is also active in IPR cases that include EU law elements or are likely to be referred to the European courts. Its work covers the spectrum of the media and entertainment sector, including internet, digital business and new technologies, books, music and film. One client noted the group’s ‘exceptional talent and particularly relevant knowledge in the book publishing industry’. The team is co-led by digital copyright litigation expert Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm, Machteld Robichon (who focuses on media, broadcasting and gaming regulation) and Hans Bousie.
Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm; Machteld Robichon; Hans Bousie
Other key lawyers:
Syb Terpstra; Sophie van Everdingen; Caroline de Vries; Sam van Velze
‘Strong versatile TMT team, high profile clients and cases.’
‘Creative, determined and technically-savvy digital media and copyright litigators with a flamboyant courtroom style and an impressive roster of clients and credentials. The team has recently undertaken some very significant mandates in intermediary liability and privacy litigation.’
‘Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm has more than two decades of experience at the forefront of digital information law, acting in leading cases for a loyal clients on all sides. He is a passionate advocate, a natural storyteller with a keen eye for the legal and societal big picture. Sam van Velze is rapidly emerging from Alberdingk Thijm’s shadow as an authentic force to be reckoned with in her own right.’
‘They are real litigators and can chase people who owe you money. Not afraid of collaborating with other law firms.’
‘It is well organized and has an outstanding group of employees.’
‘Bureau Brandeis consists of highly qualified lawyers, who provide high-level services and advice. There is not a single person in the firm, whom we have worked with, who we would not want to work with again. They are intelligent, social, and very pleasant people to work with. They do not only have excellent legal knowledge, they also know how to combine this with up-to-date knowledge of developments, leading to to-the-point services and advice. They are also highly qualified when it comes to publications and educational services.’
‘We regularly work with Machteld Robichon, who is a pleasant and very intelligent person, both socially and in terms of content. She has enormous knowledge of the subject, is fast and customer focused, being able to transfer her knowledge quickly and in a simple manner to the client. She has a strong sense for political sensitivities and is able to combine this with her legal knowledge in spot on strategic advice.’
‘It’s a small to medium sized firm with exceptional talent and particularly relevant knowledge in the book publishing industry. Further, the warm and friendly nature of the firm is a welcome change from the more corporate firms. Their ‘business lunches’ at which you can enjoy an informal seminar (and gain CPD points) are brilliant.’
‘Christiaan Alberdingk Thijm is a brilliant attorney, whose calm and gathered approach to complex matters gives us as clients all the confidence we need.’
PVH Europe (Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein)
Dutch Publishers Association (NUV)
public broadcasters AT5 and NH Nieuws
Music Creations Publishing B.V.
Uitgeverij Luitingh-Sijthoff B.V.
Yellow Claw & Barong Family
- Advised Spinnin Records in litigation before the Court of Appeal Arnhem/Leeuwarden and before the Supreme Court against world famous DJ Martin Garrix. The case is a widely watched landmark case in the music industry regarding considerable IP-related and contractual matters of which the outcome will have serious implications for artists and record labels.
- Successfully represented Netflix in a case about its live chat. The Court held that Netflix and its Live Chat amply satisfy the requirement that its electronic mail address is easily, directly and permanently accessible, in compliance with the eCommerce and Consumer Rights Directive, and as explained in the Amazon case.
- Represent PVH (Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein) in several proceedings against Facebook regarding infringing and unlawful advertisements on Facebook.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER
International IP boutique HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER is best known for its strong track record in high-end, high-stakes litigation. The firm’s core strength is European litigation in the intellectual property field, but it also handles a range of media and entertaiment disputes, infringement matters, advertising and online related cases. Practice head Joris Van Manen advises and litigates in trade mark, copyright, media, internet and ICT matters. He can call on the experienced Laura Fresco, who specialises in cross-border litigation.
Joris van Manen
Other key lawyers:
Bolton Adhesives (Bison and UHU)
Jimi Hendrix Estate (Experience Hendrix LLC)
John Lennon Estate
Motion Picture Association of America (MPA)
Procter & Gamble
Höcker Advocaten advises on a range of transactional, advisory and contentious matters in the media entertainment space, as well as handling IT and data protection matters in the area. The firm is particularly well known for advising on collective management of rights and acts for music, audio-visual and literary rights collecting societies in a range of other issues. Strengths of the practice include strategic advice, litigation, licensing negotiations, contractual and tariff disputes, and corporate governance. Jacqueline Seignette acts for national and international clients in the entertainment and IT sectors. She leads the team, which includes ‘extremely knowledgeable media and entertainment lawyer’ Marijn Kingma and Joep Meddens, who focuses on advertising and collective rights law.
‘I recommend Marijn Kingma and work with her for all legal questions, particularly in relation to media law. This includes press and communication law, messages and communication strategy on the internet, advertising law, infotainment. She is confident, charismatic, brilliant and the great lawyer of tomorrow.’
‘This is a very good firm with excellent TMT lawyers, especially Marijn Kingma. She is very involved in the TMT industry and knows its uses, practices, networks, regulations, I recommend her without hesitation.’
‘Höcker has high class lawyers who are working for very competitive rates. Allthough they’re based on a very good spot in Amsterdam, they’re not in the most expensive part of Amsterdam with their office. And that’s what’s being reflected in their hourly fees. Medium-sized companies like ours can enjoy with Höcker the same level of service and in depth-knowledge as you could expect from the giant law firms, but for much more affordable prices.’
‘Marijn Kingma is an extremely knowledgeable media and entertainment lawyer who gives us the feeling that we actually have our own ‘in house lawyer’, but then acting on a very high level. Often when I consult her to deal with a problem, she comes up with solutions for several other ‘unconsulted’ problems we’re facing as well.’
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe, SIAE Benelux
Stichting de Thuiskopie
Motion Picture Association (MPA)
Lama Lama B.V.
- Represents Stichting de Thuiskopie in all challenges to the Decree on Private Copying Levies and to its execution of that Decree. Those liable to pay the levies, such as HP, Dell and Apple oppose the system both in and outside of court.
- Advised RadioCorp on several cases regarding the use of RadioCorp IP, including the use of RadioCorp trademarks by competitors and the unauthorized use of trademarks on merchandising.
- Represents Dutch music collecting society Buma Stemra in litigation before the District Court of Amsterdam brought by Dutch trade organization ABMD and seven online music distributors
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV, which undertakes a mix of advisory work and litigation, is best known for representing public authorities and the state. It is prominent in matters of public impact that have financial, social and political relevance. The team has expertise in defamation cases, defending the freedom of speech of government officials, social watchdogs and academics. It is also known for its experience of Supreme Court litigation, and practice head Sikke Kingma is admitted to the Dutch Supreme Court Bar.
Other key lawyers:
Arnoud Boorsma; Jordi Bierens
Municipality of The Hague
Municipality of Rotterdam
State of the Netherlands (Ministry of Security and Justice)
The Public Prosecution Service
- Successfully represented the Rotterdam City Council and one of its councillors in defamation proceedings against the publisher of Sabah, one of the best-read Turkish newspapers.
- Successfully represented the State of Netherlands in proceedings before the Court of Appeal of The Hague, fending off a large claim by film producers collective SEKAM.
- Represents Sena in Supreme Court proceedings against a group of dance organizers, who claim that the tariffs for compensation for artists set by Sena are too high. The case concerns fundamental questions about how to calculate these tariffs according to European neighbouring rights law.
Van Doorne’s expertise covers the key areas of television and film, gaming, music, publishing, leisure, sports, theatre and museums. Its work covers a broad scope of contentious, advisory and transactional matters. The firm is best known for media transactions, projects and ventures that require multidisciplinary strength across IP, IT, corporate, employment and tax. Kriek Wille, who is an ‘all-around terrific litigator’, ‘sees the big picture, her work product – and that of her team – is always excellent, and she’s practical at the same time’. She co-heads the practice with corporate and M&A specialist Jeroen Sombezki.
‘Kriek Wille’s active listening skills make her quickly and very well understand what a client wants. This is in combination with her sharp analytical skills and practical approach, make her a savy lawyer.’
‘Very proactive and so useful with our privacy work and social media clients, a great firm.’
‘The IP practice has developed an innovative tool addressing the issue of how to unlock IP value in any business enterprise, and how to identify risks of (amongst others) infringements. They continue to build on their expertise.’
‘Kriek Wille is an outstanding professional and a pleasure to work with. Her litigation background enables her to advise in a sharp and consistent manner with a clear view on the desired outcome.’
‘I know Kriek Wille as a very experienced and hands-on lawyer. She is able to take a case in the right direction from the start. She can be relied on.’
‘Kriek Wille is a fantastic litigator. Smart, strategic, and practical. She always comes to the table fully prepared, and with a sophisticated legal team. I highly recommend her for all types of litigation in Holland, especially intellectual property claims and complex contractional disputes.’
‘Kriek Wille is an all-around terrific litigator. She sees the big picture, her work product – and that of her team – is always excellent, and she’s practical at the same time.’
‘Kriek Wille is a rockstar! She is not only a great lawyer but also a great human being.’
Bertram Group Limited
Erdee Media Group
Influencer Marketing Agency
Keesing Media Group
Medialane Theater B.V.
Medialane TV B.V.
Platform Media Adviesbureaus
Stardust Holding B.V.
Tele2 Works Council
Telegraaf Media Group
The Player Management
Uitgeverij Nieuw Amsterdam
Unitel International Holding
Vidcon (online videoconferencing)
Vous Hotels & Retreats
The Green Happiness
- Advised Tony’s Chocolonely on all media and advertising aspects (including risks of IP infringement) and coordinated legal counsel internationally. The campaign attracted extensive media attention in the Netherlands and beyond.
- Represented the management of Keesing Media Group on the buyout by BC Partners, the leading international investment firm.
- Represented EMM (and, in wider context ESPN/Walt Disney as major shareholder) who is responsible for the exploitation of collective media and sponsor rights of a.o. the Dutch soccer league and the Dutch KNVB-cup in various matters (both advice and litigation) of which the contents cannot be disclosed.
Visser Schaap & Kreijger's team is ‘not only highly skilled (excellent knowledge regarding IP law, litigation etc), but operates from a hands-on and pragmatic approach’. The firm is particularly experienced in defamation cases, format cases, Media Act matters, contract negotiations, production contracts and competition issues. The firm is increasingly active in the music industry, including antipiracy conflicts, music contracts, the neighbouring rights of producers and issues between music publishers and their artists. Jacqueline Schaap is ‘a giant in media & entertainment. The kind of lawyer you want on your side in times of crisis’. She co-heads the team with IP expert Dirk Visser.
Jacqueline Schaap; Dirk Visser
Other key lawyers:
Patty de Leeuwe
‘This practice is not only highly skilled (excellent knowledge regarding IP law, litigation etc), but operates from a hands on and pragmatic approach.’
‘Jacqueline Schaap: highly skilled IP lawyer and litigator, pragmatic approach. Jacqueline “thinks like a lawyer, but doesn’t act like one”; she always puts the client interests first and takes into account the interests of the opposition (in case of unlawful publication cases) as well, which often makes the difference. And even more importantly; Jacqueline is a very nice person and very nice to work with.’
‘Excellent firm, great team. My go-to address whenever I need assistance in media related litigation.’
‘Jacqueline Schaap is a giant in media & entertainment. The kind of lawyer you want on your side in times of crisis. She’s cool headed, calm and clear in her approach to complex media related litigation. Rising star within Visser Schaap & Kreijger is Patty de Leeuwe.’
‘Very pragmatic, highly knowledgeable of all developments, commercial thinking, knowledge of the industry and parties interests.’
Endemol Shine Nederland
Talpa Network and Talpa TV
ITV Studios Netherlands
NDP Dutch news Media Association
- Started summary proceedings to defend Bellingcat from Russian allegations of malbehaviour and violating journalistic ethics, both verdicts in these proceedings were in favour of Bellingcat.
- Represented Singel Publishers in various defamation and freedom of speech cases in relation to novels and non-fiction books published in the Netherlands and abroad.
- Advised the KNVB and represented the KNVB in various ambush marketing cases at the time of the European Soccer Championship in 2021.
The multidisciplinary cross-border practice at DLA Piper handles a range of domestic and international media, sport and entertainment matters. It leverages strengths across the key related areas of intellectual property, technology, corporate, tax, litigation, regulatory, finance, projects, restructuring and employment. Sports is a key sector of expertise for the practice; it advises leagues, clubs, franchise owners, broadcasters, advertisers, international and national governing in the space. Richard van Schaik specialises in TMT, with an emphasis on media, entertainment and data protection matters. He co-heads the team with Pieter Paul Terpstra.
Richard van Schaik; Pieter Paul Terpstra
21th Century Fox
Aurum Entertainment Limited
Interactive Advertising Bureau Nederland (IAB Nederland)
Ocean Outdoor (formerly: Ngage Media)
Omnicom Media Group
14 ZIGT Mediabureau
Known for expertise in advertising and IP, Hoogenraad & Haak's team is noted for its ‘in-depth knowledge of advertisement and media laws, with exceptional ability to evolve complex legal issues into practical solutions’. It has a particularly strong track record in advertising law and litigation. Daniel Haije is a specialist in advertising, trade mark infringement and protection issues, with a special focus on comparative advertising. He co-heads the team with Ebba Hoogenraad.
Daniël Haije; Ebba Hoogenraad
‘Highly experienced and excellent sparring partners that appreciate commercial interests and come up with practical solutions where needed.’
‘Ebba Hoogenraad and Daniel Haije are both exceptional lawyers with great personalities.’
‘In depth knowledge of advertising and media laws, with exceptional ability to evolve complex legal issues into practical solutions. The team is stable, layered in seniority and always easily accessible. An outstanding practice all round.’
‘My primary contact, Daniel Haije, is one of the best entertainment attorneys I have worked with in my 30 year advertising career. He is quickly accessible, has excellent follow through and comes up with creative solutions. He is also extremely approachable and just a nice person to work with.’
‘Daniel Haije – very talented young lawyer – appeals to the young ambitious, fast moving companies that appreciate out-of-the-box, intelligent solutions. I have mostly worked with Daniel as my sparring partner for urgent questions or just feedback. He was very responsive and courageous.’
‘Unique thorough knowledge with respect to legal issues on food and nutrition. I do not know another firm in the Netherlands that has similar expertise. I work with this firm for nearly 25 years. Always more than satisfactory.’
‘Ebba Hoogenraad is an excellent lawyer. She is outstanding in her field of expertise. You need her, whenever you have a must-win case. She is very accesible at any moment. She is a warm and very engaged person, very pleasant to work with. I have never seen a person so passionate about her work.’
‘The contact is accessible, personal and always professional. They know better than anyone else how to act quickly, practically, deliberately and adequately.’
The majority of major ad agencies active on the Dutch market, including DDB, Havas Lemz, Publicis, MullenLowe Alfred, N=5, FCB, 180 Kingsday, Wieden + Kennedy
Kenniscentrum Suiker & Voeding
Koninklijke Vereniging Homeopathie
- Advised advertising agency Cheil on the legal aspects of CarNext’s The Fangineer – a “wisdom of the crowd” platform gathering advice from fans for F1 driver Max Verstappen.
- Advised on the legal aspects of an advertising campaign for T-Mobile featuring a Dutch celebrity being tattooed by a robotic arm, controlled remotely by a tattoo artist using 5G technology.
- Proceedings in appeal on behalf of KVS. KVS objects to a television commercial of a perfume store chain (Douglas) in which misleading claims are made about wrinkles in relation to the consumption of sugar.
Le Poole Bekema
Le Poole Bekema is a boutique law firm focused on media and entertainment law, intellectual property and privacy, with particular expertise in the film and television industry. The firm is known for its involvement in high-profile defamation, copyright and advertising litigation, as well as sector-specific regulations. Key areas of work include collective rights societies and copyrights, freedom of expression and information, financial structures, ticketing systems and online advertising. Media law specialist Anne Bekema co-heads the practice with Laura Broers, whose expertise covers a range of media entertainment matters, notably investment funding and copyright management issues.
Laura Broers; Anne Bekema
‘The team is very practical and available. All have their own specialities, but are well aware and capable to step in your case if needed. They have strong communication skills – a no-nonsense look.’
‘Laura Broers has a good understanding of how our business works and what is needed. With a realistic look on the value of the case. As a partner, she is a good addition to the firm. Laura is a pleasure to work with. Spot on and always willing to set that extra step.’
‘The team respond quickly with detailed but practical advice. They are extremely nice to deal with.’
‘We have worked with Laura Broers a number of times. She has strong knowledge of the media sector and it really shows in her advice. We found her advice and guidance to be incredibly helpful and pragmatic.’
‘Because of their extensive experience in the media and entertainment industry, they also proactively point out possible risks, which is of great value to us. Opposite to the larger firms, they always deliver quality in a way that suits the modern, informal way of doing business in the media sector. That is very pleasant. Their quality is outstanding.’
‘Very good litigators, but always looking for ways to find solutions outside of court as well. Great value for work.’
‘I work closely with Anne Bekema. Exceptional good lawyer. High quality of work.’
CARYN MANDABACH PRODUCTIONS
BOSH SIEMENS HAUSGERATE
The VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT AMSTERDAM
FREMANTLE and TALPA NETWORK
CLT-UFA ( RTL Group – the Largest Dutch commercial broadcaster )
STICHTING REGIONALE PUBLIEKE OMROEP
ENDEMOL SHINE GROUP
VINCENT TV PRODUCTIES
NEDFILM & TELEVISION
WESTLAND CHEESE (Brand owner of OLD AMSTERDAM)
- Advised and represented Mediahuis on a number of online publications in De Telegraaf including one concerning accusations of corrupt criminal lawyers by the district attorney in the biggest criminal case in the Netherland (Marengo process).
- Represented HEMA in a number of high-profile cases against television media outlet EenVandaag (AVROTROS) regarding allegations that some of HEMA’s products contain asbestos and therefore are a public health risk.
- Represented VPRO in proceedings against a journalist who was subject of the TV program Medialogica. In this program, other media publications are investigated. In this respect, Medialogica investigated the consequences of critical publications from a journalist regarding the test methods used by the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment regarding nitrogen emissions from farmers.
‘Known for its high standard of legal services’, Leeway handles a broad cross-section of issues for clients in the media industry, including those concerning trade marks, copyright, design rights, consumer law, transactions, sponsorship, data protection and litigation. Marga Verwoert’s workload ranges from media deals to infringement cases. She co-heads the team with IP and media specialist Michiel Odink, who has a particular focus on the entertainment, technology and retail sectors. The practice underwent significant expansion in 2021, with Michiel van Ast and counsel Jos Klaus joining from Grasp and BarentsKrans respectively. In another development, of counsel Eric Keyzer joined from Keyzer Media.
Marga Verwoert; Michiel Odink
Other key lawyers:
Eric Keyzer; Michiel van Ast; Jos Klaus; Nini Blom; Lotte Rutgers
‘Leeway is known for its high standard legal services. The teams delivers pro active, practical and creative advice.’
‘Marga Verwoert is the go-to partner in media and entertainment matters. She is an excellent IP lawyer: knowledgeable, creative and fast. Moreover, she is fun to work with.’
‘The team at Leeway is great and truly understands our dynamic business. Service is personal and with a deep understanding of the media and postproduction sector.’
‘Michiel Odink is our go-to adviser: personal, hands-on and media all star. They also hired Eric Keyzer, who is a media legend.’
‘Leeway specialises in intellectual property, technology law and media & entertainment law. Eachg of its (three) partners has over 20 years of experience in the IP field, mostly collected at big law firms in Amsterdam. It can compete with the very best and thus offers great value for money. The firm has a very international clients base and it represents some of the world’s well-known brands in the technology and media & entertainment industry.’
‘While the three founding partners are all highly qualified, I wish to single out Michiel Odink as a true force in the field of media & entertainment law. Having worked at a law firm in California in his early years, Michiel is also very sought after by international clients in the technology sector. Associate Nini Blom is quickly making a name for herself as well.’
Warner Music Group
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc
Strengholt Media Group
- Settled an important dispute on behalf of Warner Music Group, against a well-established Dutch independent record publisher.
- Acting as Warner Bros’ dedicated Benelux intellectual property firm for all WB and Hanna-Barbera trademarks.
- Advising Pathé Thuis on an innovative new project to offer on-demand screenings at a network of boutique private cinemas at up to 500 locations across Europe within 5 years.
Van Kaam IP & Media
Boutique firm Van Kaam IP & Media specialises in IP, media, entertainment and privacy law, with a well-established track record in TMT-related issues. The firm is particularly strong in matters related to freedom of speech, defamation and privacy. It also handles the drafting and negotiation of contracts for artists, motion pictures, books, DVD’s, social media influencers, musicals, theatre shows and related merchandise. The practice is also known for acting in civil litigation and advises on administrative and regulatory issues. Founding partner Bertil Van Kaam focuses on Dutch and international media law, and co-heads the practice with experienced litigator Remco Klöters.
Bertil van Kaam; Remco Klöters
‘Expert knowledge, pragmatic approach, pleasant to do business with. Innovating whenever required, without overdoing.’
‘They have expert knowledge, oversee their field of competence and know if something is not their prime area of activity. Remco Klöters has been assisting for the last years and he is fine, pleasant and reachable person to wotk with on a daily basis.’
‘The team is highly specialised and responsive.’
‘Van Kaam IP Media & Privacy are an Amsterdam-based boutique IP, Media and Privacy boutique firm. I believe they have the best reputation for media.’
‘Bertil van Kaam is highly experienced in defamation matters.’
‘Boutique IP/media specialists. Very knowledgeable. excellent English. very good client care skills – we entrust them with any of our valued clients.’
‘Fast service, good advice, excellent knowledge of media law issues, very responsive.’
‘Bertil van Kaam: very good litigator, execellent knowledge of the media world.’
Fremantle Media Productions
Night of comedy B.V.
Herbalife Nutrition Ltd.
Graniet Import Benelux B.V.
- Successfully represented AVROTROS in appeal proceedings in relation to defamation claims brought by the Japanese pharmaceutical company Terumo, after AVROTROS broadcasted two revealing episodes for current affairs program ‘EenVandaag’ about ‘glue needles’ with potential health risks in 2015.
- Acted for RTL Nederland and No Pictures Please Productions in relation to an attempt by Jos B. to prevent a documentary from being broadcast.
- Represents Graniet Import Benelux B.V. in proceedings before the Dutch Court and the Dutch Press Council against Zembla, a current affairs TV-program broadcasted by BNNVARA.
CMS' multidisciplinary team has ‘deep knowledge of content and consumer regulation in the Netherlands’, as well as experience of advising clients on contracts with authorities and industry players. It specialises in cross-border matters, with an emphasis on the technology, sport and gaming sectors. IP expert Rogier de Vrey, who heads up the group, is an experienced litigator. He also advises on international property law issues, unfair competition law and trade secret matters related to technology, media and communications.
Rogier de Vrey
‘The practice has deep knowledge of content and consumer regulation in the Netherlands and provides clear, practical advice in a timely manner, including to tight deadlines.’
‘Partner Rogier de Vrey is an excellent communicator which makes working with him efficient and free of frustration. He communicates clearly when advice will be delivered, and the advice itself is practical and easy to digest.’
Capgemini / Sogeti
- Advised World Brain on its sale of Atlantis Press to Springer Nature.
- Assisted the Royal Dutch Hockey Association (KNHB) with response to a dispute with Jip Janssen (star player of S.V. Kampong and also international).
- Assisted Royal BAM Group with proceedings against BubbleDecks claim for alleged unlawful publication and for surrender of evidence, concerning a (politically) sensitive matter.
Houthoff excels in contentious media and entertainment matters, and its workload includes cases heard before the Supreme Court; Thijs van Aerde heads up a group focusing on media litigation. The firm is also notably strong in media-related M&A. Thomas de Weerd has expertise in IT, e-business, outsourcing and other technology-related transactions and commercial contracts.
Thomas de Weerd
Other key lawyers:
Thijs van Aerde
eBay Classifieds Group / Marktplaats.nl
Media Markt / Saturn
Stellantis (Fiat, Peugeot, Citroën)
Pon’s Automobielhandel (Volkswagen Netherlands)
Jaguar Land Rover
RDW (Dienst Wegverkeer)
NewMotion (Royal Dutch Shell)
- Representing the Netherlands’ largest cable company, Ziggo, in proceedings before the Supreme Court about cable transmission against the author’s collecting society Lira.
- Representing Stichting BREIN, the joint anti-piracy foundation of rights owners in The Netherlands, in Supreme Court litigation against Usenet provider News-Service Europe (NSE).
- Representing film distributor Dutch Filmworks in proceedings against internet provider Ziggo, Liberty Global/Vodafone.
Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan
Known for its music and video game industry expertise, Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan's team is also developing a niche in the ad-tech space. The firm handles a range of technology matters, as well as games development and publishing contract negotiations for exclusive game development deals with major platform and IP owners. Another area of specialism involves advising companies and high-profile individuals on libel and slander cases against newspapers/television programmes. Video games expert Olivier Oosterbaan co-heads the team with Quirijn Meijnen, who handles IT litigation, media and licensing, and Maarten Leopold.
Olivier Oosterbaan; Quirijn Meijnen; Maarten Leopold
‘True gaming specialist in the Netherlands.’
‘Olivier Oosterbaan has a great knowledge of the digital industry and games industry. For many years, he has been my go-to lawyer in the Netherlands for IP and privacy matters in that space.’
‘The firm has considerable experience of video game issues in the Netherlands. They are my go-to firm in this area for all my video game clients.’
‘I work with Olivier Oosterbaan frequently on many video game client matters. He has the experience to provide my clients with the assistance they require. Olivier has the ability to take very complex topics and provide clients with business focused legal guidance.’
‘We regularly work with Quirijn Meijnen and appreciate his responsiveness as well as ability to provide a hands-on approach even in more complicated situations’
‘We are an international network of music consultants and represent a variety of artists, labels and repertoire owners. We have referred already twice our clients to Leopold Meijnen Oosterbaan, and in both cases the service provided by this law firm was excellent, and the results to our clients full satisfaction.’
‘Olivier brings a wealth of knowledge and specialist understanding of the games industry to the table. He is a trusted adviser for our studio that we gladly consult in any legal business matters. He knows our industry well, which is not a given, and has a deep understanding of both what we as a developed need and want, as well as what is important for our publishing partners.’
Good Shepherd Entertainment
Transport Info B.V.
Sony Music Publishing
- Represented client Jenny Boot in a matter regarding by her gallery exceeding the license and fabricating false certificates of authenticity.
- Injunction proceeding for the band Epica against their record label.
- Advised Good Shepherd Entertainment in contract negotiations for hit game Monster Train and for upcoming title The Eternal Cylinder.
Simmons & Simmons
The multidisciplinary practice at Simmons & Simmons is led by Paul Tjiam, who has expertise in intellectual property and media litigation. It draws from the firm’s strengths in commercial, regulatory, M&A, finance, competition, outsourcing, employment, real estate and tax law. Core strengths of the team include freedom of speech litigation, (social media) blocking injunctions and defamation matters, as well as significant FRAND licensing matters in the Netherlands.
‘The team is very committed and involved in the case. They consult me well and discuss strategy. The strategy works every time.’
‘Paul Tjiam’s enthusiasm and commitment is what I value most. He also has an eye for the human side and pays attention to that. He is always available for me and calls back when he has time, even at weekends. He is very good in writing and knows how to articulate his case well. His pleadings are of a high standard.’
‘Paul Tjiam is an excellent lawyer in many aspects. He is very hands on, intelligent and very cooperative.’
- Successfully represented Van Egten against the owner Dutch companies Strukton and Centric (Gerard Sanderink) in 10 court cases relating to freedom of speech (defamation) between Van Egten and Sanderink.
- Advised TuneIn on legal aspects of the Dutch legal media landscape.
- Assisted ActivisionBlizzard with its new European corporate structure.