Jeroen van Der Lee and Roelien van Neck lead Bird & Bird‘s full service standalone IT team. Van der Lee works on a range of projects, including complex licensing deals, communication infrastructure transactions and AI procurements. Van Neck is a key contact for international consumer goods brands regarding the digital transformation of their business. Senior associates Stephanie Welbergen, Jochem Apon and Lisette den Butter demonstrate the depth of the IT team, focusing on contractual matters, such as software implementation agreements, procurement projects and day-to-day commercial issues for clients. The arrival of fintech specialist Gidget Brugman from Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V. adds a new dimension to the team, bringing financial regulation pedigree in the crypto assets and blockchain landscapes.
Firms in the Spotlight Industry focus: Information technology
A LAW FIRM THAT ENJOYS FINDING SOLUTIONS AT THE CROSSROADS OF PUBLIC AUTHORITIES, TECHNOLOGY AND MARKETS. Coupry is an independent Dutch law firm, whose practice is centred around the focus areas technology, energy and regulatory law, with a strong public interest mind-set underpinning all practice areas. Coupry’s dedicated and experienced lawyers include tech-savvy litigators, as …View Profile...
Industry focus: Information technology in Netherlands
Bird & Bird
Jeroen van der Lee; Roelien van Neck
Other key lawyers:
Gidget Brugman; Stephanie Welbergen; Jochem Apon; Lisette den Butter
‘Good industry knowledge and pragmatic, commercial advice’
‘The lawyers are knowledgeable’
- Assisted Avery Dennison in various aspects of its digitalization projects, covering technologies such as blockchain, cloud and RFID
- Acting for ACE Software and negotiating for it, as part of its deal team, all its cloud solution, license and other commercial agreements worldwide, including for payment processing and financial crime compliance solutions.
- Assisting Bridgestone Mobility Solutions, one of the world’s leading Saas fleet management solutions, on technology, contractual and data protection matters.
Brinkhof’s IT and outsourcing practice advises companies operating in the digital marketplace on numerous transactional mandates, involving outsourcing, tenders and security implementation. The team also advises tech companies on tenders for providing innovative solutions, including SaaS and cybersecurity systems for global companies, such as retailers. Eliane de Vilder is a go-to for clients in the TMT sector in need of advice on software and IT-related commercial contracts. De Vilder is also a key contact for clients when it comes to tech disputes. Outsourcing of critical business functions and licensing forms the bulk of Wieke van Angeren‘s practice; she assists financial institutions and notable TMT sector clients. Teun Burgers' promotion to partner level as of 1st of January 2023 further strengthens the team’s offering in IT contractual matters.
Eliane de Vilder; Wieke van Angeren
Other key lawyers:
‘I have worked with Brinkhoff on complex requirements for IT advice combining intellectual property (licensing and copyright) and distribution as well as reseller disputes. It is unusual to deal with lawyers who, as individuals, span these complex areas – yet Brinkhof has a team of them.’
‘We have worked with Weike van Angeren and Teun Burgers. They worked together as an extremely effective team. Standouts.’
‘Brinkof has one of the largest and most experienced dedicated IT-contracting practices in the Netherlands.’
‘We always work with Teun Burgers. We initially came to him for our IT-contracting work, but now he is our preferred lawyer for all our complex contracting work which he always brings to a successful closing. Teun is extremely knowledgeable, responsive, time-efficient and overall, very pleasant to work with.’
De Lage Landen
- Assisting CarNext in negotiating the agreement for setting up a fully integrated global auction platform for vehicle remarketing.
- Advising Cybersprint, a major attack-management company, on the sale of its entire issued share capital to LSE-listed Darktrace, a global leader in cyber security.
- Assisting ERIKS, an international industrial engineering and logistics company, in the retender of business-critical global IT operations, representing it in all negotiations with the chosen supplier, Cognizant.
Kennedy Van der Laan
With the arrival of Judica Krikke, former head of Stibbe‘s IT department, in March 2023, Kennedy Van der Laan continues to be a go-to for clients seeking advice on major projects. Krikke not only brings expertise on IT procurement processes and ERP contracting but also represents clients in disputes concerning failed IT implementations. Patrick Wit works on tech projects, IT contracting, cybersecurity and digital transformations. Reinoud Westerdijk specialises in IT contractual joint ventures and public procurements and acts for high-tech suppliers and service providers. Christoph Jeloschek acts for large Dutch and international companies on cross-border litigations and complex IT disputes concerning failed IT projects. Joost Schmaal assists with emerging technologies such as smart contracts and AI. Senior associates Astrid Sixma and Veerle van Druenen provide outstanding support and lead on large-scale transactions involving the integration of technology in transport projects.
Patrick Wit; Reinoud Westerdijk; Joost Schmaal; Christoph Jeloschek
Other key lawyers:
Astrid Sixma; Veerle Van Druenen; Judica Krikke
‘Super-fast and quick thinkers; are able to make a relatively simple overview on complex contracts and deviations.’
‘Joost Schmaal is always enthusiastic and able to deliver.’
‘Impressive market presence – leading practice.’
‘Patrick Wit is very confident, convincing and result oriented.’
Foundation Emission Claim
Zaans Medisch Centrum
Trans Link Systems B.V.
Lumileds Holding B.V.
- Advised Schiphol Area Development Company (SADC) on the contractual, regulatory and corporate aspects for an innovative solution to a ‘virtual’ electricity network.
- Advised Translink on the roll out of OVpay, enabling travel with a bank card.
- Represented DMARC Advisor in various parallel proceedings in the Netherlands.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is known for its longstanding role as legal adviser to the Dutch Government and decentral governments on large IT procurement projects. The firm also stands out through its involvement in collective actions regarding IT and data protection claims and is a go-to Supreme Court practice for other firms, who refer clients. Furthermore, the firm takes part in the Dutch Blockchain and AI Coalitions as well as the Dutch Standardisation Committee for Artificial Intelligence. The innovation, privacy and technology practice is co-led by Meine Dijkstra, Gerrit-Jan Zwenne and Jeroen Naves, who was promoted to partner at the start of 2023. The team focuses on drafting model contracts for the procurement of AI, rolled out by the European Commission.
Gerrit-Jan Zwenne; Meine Dijkstra; Jeroen Naves
‘Pels Rijcken has a very solid team of excellent professionals. They are top class.’
‘The quality of Jeroen Naves’ work makes him one of the best advocates in the IT world and civil law. Excellent.’
Achmea Zilveren Kruis
Chamber of Commerce
Dutch Tax Authority
Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport
Dutch Ministry of Defence
Dutch Ministry of Internal Affairs
Dutch Railways (Nederlandse spoorwegen)
City of Amsterdam
City of Rotterdam
Data Privacy Foundation
Consumer Association (Consumentenbond)
Several major sports associations
Dutch Health Care Authority
- Represented KPN in various disputes.
- Advising the Ministry of Internal Affairs on data projects.
- Drafted standard terms for the procurement of AI.
Project Moore Advocaten
‘Outstanding in its knowledge and experience of IT law’, Project Moore Advocaten represents high-profile private and public clients, including entities of The Dutch State and healthcare bodies, in business-critical migrations, IT procurements and digital transformations. Christian Van Seeters is an expert in procurement law and is a key contact for public sector clients for delivering public safety and security-focused IT mandates. Eva Visser and Jeroen Koëter are specialists in data protection, while Lieneke Viergever is a privacy, e-commerce and IT sourcing expert. Key associate Chayenne van Lavieren works on large outsourcing contracts, complex IT disputes and IT tenders for public and private clients.
Christian van Seeters
Other key lawyers:
Eva Visser; Jeroen Koëter; Lieneke Viergever; Chayenne van Lavieren
‘Project Moore is an amazing law firm with great lawyers and above all, delivers state of the art quality!’
‘Christian van Seeters’ state of the art work and personal touch make him an exceptional lawyer who deserves to be ranked at the top.’
‘What makes this practice unique is that they are extremely well aware of the substantive and technological developments that are currently taking place in the IT field and how they relate to the legal frameworks.’
GGD GHOR Nederland
Radboud University Medical Centre
Dutch National Police
The Dutch Ministry of Justice and Security
Custodial Institutions Agency
Nikon Corporation (Japan)
Nikon Holdings Europe BV
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Mitsubishi Logisnext Europe
Rocket Software B.V.
- Advising GGD GHOR Nederland, as lead counsel, on a €2bn call centre outsourcing deal as part of its response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Assisting the Dutch Police, as lead counsel, with the procurement of two high-profile IT systems of integral importance to national public safety.
- Advising the Dutch Ministry of Justice on hugely challenging issues arising from its publication of an agreement regarding the provision of IT security services.
Van Doorne‘s broad IT practice is co-led by global outsourcing and cloud transactions expert Bart van Reeken and specialist counsel in healthcare and finance IT-related projects Louis Jonker. Van Reeken negotiates and drafts various outsourcing, software development and implementation agreements and is also a name to note for dealing with compliance issues and contractual disputes. Jonker assists major hospitals, public health services, mental health institutions and health research centres with enterprise resource planning, business intelligence solutions and cloud management services. He is also a key contact for fintech matters and is supported by the attorney Ruud de Kleijn.
Other key lawyers:
‘The individuals I have worked with are friendly and professional and give a personal touch to the relationship.’
‘Besides the fact that Bart is a very good content professional, he is always willing to walk the extra mile. He is flexible, honest, excellent reach and is a real partner you can count on throughout the entire process. He is also very well known in the market so less persuasion is needed to make a point. It’s more than a pleasure to have Bart in your team.’
‘Van Doorne have supported us on a range of complex technology-related items; from IP sales to asset transfers.’
‘The team showed excellent legal capabilities, as well as flexibility, patience, discretion and endurance towards suppliers not particularly interested in making off-boarding arrangements (e.g., data-retention) even after arrangements had finished.’
‘Resourceful and creative in finding solutions. Goal-oriented, and flexible, listen carefully to suppliers. Strong negotiators. The lawyers are professional, friendly and have a great sense of humour.’
‘‘Bart van Reeken is a joy to work with. He is sharp, energetic and quick. A trusted partner.’
‘The firm has expert knowledge on legal aspects concerning EMR contracts. Work fast and creates a nice atmosphere’
‘Louis Jonker is very hands on, always available, knows all legal ins and outs of outsourcing and related processes and able put that in practice in a very pragmatic way. A great guy to work with on large scale outsourcing projects.’
Blockchain Investments & Co.
Deutsche Telekom AG
GGD GHOR Nederland
Landelijk Platform Zorgcoördinatie
Municipality of Leeuwarden
Nationale Opera & Ballet
PARK NOW Group
‘s Heeren Loo Zorggroep
Zuidwest Radiotherapeutisch Instituut
- Assisting APG in contracting software to administer the pension arrangements it supports for over 4.7 million participants in light of the largest overhaul the Dutch pension system has seen in 30 years
- Co-advised Deutsche Telekom AG on the sale by Deutsche Telekom and Tele2 of T-Mobile Netherlands
- Assisted PARK NOW Group on outsourcing various IT services in respect of its digital mobility platforms and services to global IT services provider EPAM
DLA Piper's TMT team has strong synergies across the IT outsourcing, data protection, sports and entertainment, and telecoms industries. Head of the IT and IT outsourcing practice Khaled Dadi advises suppliers of IT services, financial institutions and large domestic and international clients on complex contractual and litigious matters. Senior associate Floris de Wit adds significant depth to the practice, advising clients on IT-related M&A transactions and IP issues. Richard van Schaik heads data protection work; corporate practitioners Jochem Beurskens and Daphne Bens remain key contacts in the IT sphere. The firm often works on transformative IT projects in the ESG space.
Other key lawyers:
Floris de Wit; Daphne Bens; Jochem Beurskens; Richard van Schaik
‘Very strong practice, working with US based clients. Strong ability to explain local Dutch legal practices and customs. Very strong attention to detail and communication with the client. The firm offered full-service support in addition to our main M&A needs.’
‘Jochem Buerskens led the engagement, was very knowledgeable and communicative. He was primarily responsible for pushing the deal through. Jochem is clearly a qualified and top-tier partner at a major firm.’
‘This team combines a thorough understanding of what’s happening, the challenges and the developments in IT law with the proper amount of pragmatism, so that their work and advice is always on point’
‘Khaled Dadi is a very knowledgeable, pragmatic and sharp lawyer with a clear eye for what the client needs’
‘Extremely knowledgeable in substance and ability to find the appropriate resource. Very timely support, yet always considering level of practicability.’
‘Khaled Dadi has the ability to maintain a healthy relationship with the client.’
‘Floris de Wit stays calm in challenging circumstances, tirelessly comes up with creative solutions and is very flexible to ensure he is available.’
‘Richard van Schaik has a wealth of industry knowledge and is very pleasant to work with.’
Atos Nederland B.V.
Cushman & Wakefield
European Commission – DG CNECT
HSO International B.V.
- Advising Rabobank on the launch of a new ‘Carbon Insights’ app, which gives bank customers insight into their CO2 footprint.
- Advised Cushman & Wakefield on a strategic AI based software licensing, implementation and resale agreement.
- Advised team.blue, a digital enabler for companies and entrepreneurs across Europe, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Leadinfo.
At Houthoff, TMT and data privacy and protection practice head Thomas De Weerd leads on matters concerning outsourcing, e-business and technology-related transactions as well as commercial contracts. Experienced senior associate Jurre Reus, who previously spent time as in-house counsel at a global media company, specialises in privacy law, advising clients in the e-commerce space on data protection and IT contracting. International clients in the automotive sector often seek out the practice for regulatory compliance and data protection assistance.
Thomas de Weerd
Other key lawyers:
Hyundai Motor Netherlands
Ford Nederland and Ford of Europe
Shell EV Charging
- Advising Marktplaats and 2dehands.be on a range of matters, including strategic partnerships, data protection, the implementation of new laws, commercial contracting and disputes.
- Assisted Hyundai with a variety of matters, such as setting up its e-commerce platform, assisting in its partnership with We Drive Solar and advising on a data sharing partnership with the Dutch government
- Advised ParkBee on day-to-day matters regarding technology and contracting, and regarding its further expansion into Europe.
Loyens & Loeff
Loyens & Loeff‘s IT work is led by the litigation and risk management team, headed by Vincent Vroom. Counsel and TMT expert Pjotr Heemskerk is the first port of call for global social media and gaming companies, advising on IT licensing agreements and the implementation of the new EU digital content and services directive, including privacy law strategies. Senior associate Yannick Geryszewski focuses on corporate and commercial transactions involving data migration matters and the implementation of data sharing and protecting software.
Other key lawyers:
Pjotr Heemskerk; Yannick Geryszewski
‘The team consists of experienced and tech savvy individuals who are all also very pleasant to work with. They are eager, quick thinking and on top of new technology. They will however never lose sight on efficiency and being practical.’
‘Pjotr Heemskerk has in-depth knowledge of all relevant case law, but rather than sounding like a walking encyclopedia, he is very much capable of explaining everything in a manner understandable for the client and applying his knowledge in practical advice.’
‘Pjotr takes care of his junior associates and provides them with the opportunity to further develop.’
‘Yannick Geryszewski is the one to watch and will undoubtedly have a bright future as a tech-lawyer. He is highly specialised in dealing with tech aspects of M&A transactions and is the go-to for negotiations and agreements. Sharp as a knife and very down to earth.’
‘Yannick Geryszewski actively presents different possibilities. He also thinks practically and ensures that parties that are not legally literate can also understand the matter.’
‘The lawyers are very knowledgeable and have a proactive attitude.’
Torqx Capital Partners
- Advised several digital platforms on the implementation and consequences of recent European legislation on digital services.
- Advising VGZ, one of the largest Dutch health care insurers, on numerous data protection, privacy and IT matters.
- Advised Motive Partners with its EUR 120 million investment in Backbase, an Amsterdam-based tech company that provides banks with a cloud-based engagement banking platform to create frictionless customer journeys across all the stages of the customer lifecycle.
Stibbe‘s TMT practice group routinely works on ICT contracting, disputes, cloud contracting and software licensing for large corporates and the Dutch State. The team not only advises clients on IT procurement processes and contracting for mission-critical Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software and other ICT services but also represents clients in disputes related to failed implementation. Fintech and financial regulatory experts Rogier Raas and Roderik Vrolijk are key contacts for financial institutions and frequently advise on digital licensing matters. Having co-set up the Digital Economy Group, Jaap van Slooten focuses on the platform economy. As a recent arrival from Dirkzwager, senior associate Nynke Brouwer adds a new dimension to the practice, specialising in data protection and cybersecurity issues for a range of clients. Former team head Judica Krikke departed for Kennedy Van der Laan.
Other key lawyers:
Rogier Raas; Roderik Vrolijk; Jaap van Slooten; Nynke Brouwer; Soeradj Ransanjhal
‘Nynke Brouwer’s practice has a unique nexus between industry and academia on the topic of cybersecurity and cyber-insurance. She is able to provide detailed insights in the functioning of the cybersecurity and cyber-insurance market on a societal and company level.’
‘The team is able to render good and pragmatic advice with regard to all matters of IT law, including also and in particular brand-new aspects. The associate resourcing is excellent.’
‘Nynke Brouwer has great knowledge of cyber risks and insurance and communicates in a pleasant, transparent and clean way.’
‘High level of experience and know-how, especially in the IT and software licensing department.’
- Advising the Dutch State in its strategic software supplier management.
- Assisted RFH in the renegotiation of its essential outsourcing of vital IT functions to ICT supplier Conclusion.
- Advising Q-Park on the development of its parking as a service (PaSS) solution. The advice includes the set-up of the solution, including digital payment and handling and drafting of contracts terms and app terms.
Van Rappard Minneboo Klingenberg
Van Rappard Minneboo Klingenberg has a ‘strong IT team that delivers in negotiations as well as in court’. The integrated IT, IP and commercial contracts practice is led by Roald Minneboo, who 'handles IT projects with great detail, paying attention to all aspects, including data privacy, enforcement of rights, software licensing, cloud contracts’; Helmer Klingenberg, who is a robust negotiator, advising on the full spectrum of IT contracts, including SaaS, cloud, data centres and licensing agreements; and Godert Van Rappard, who is the key contact for tech-related copyright license agreements and IP transfer agreements. The firm routinely advises clients on critical systems and services.
Roald Minneboo; Helmer Klingenberg; Godert van Rappard
‘Helmer Klingenberg and Roald Minneboo – collaborative, clear and concise in their communications, willing to work together to find contractual solutions, responsive and calm but firm negotiators.
‘Roald Minneboo is one of the best IT lawyers out there – he really understands technology and IT contracting.
‘Roald Minneboo and Helmer Klingenberg working together results in an IT powerhouse that achieves amazing outcomes.’
Roald Minneboo is a very knowledgeable IT lawyer. A real expert in the field, able to find a solution for any IT related legal problem.
‘Helmer Klingenberg is extremely experienced in handling complex IT agreements. He knows what the standard in the market is. Helmer is an excellent negotiator.’
‘Roald Minneboo is a star in all IT matters. He is extremely focused on all intricacies of IT projects, he predicts possible legal challenges before they even arise.’
‘Both Roald Minneboo and Helmer Klingenberg deserve our praise. Helmer is one of the best negotiators I have ever experienced, while Roald’s IT contracting knowledge is nothing short of impressive. They are a strong IT team that delivers, in negotiations as well as in court.’
‘The team is very strong and knowledgeable in IT law, and bridge the gap between IT and other practices.’
Delft University of Technology
The Blue Sky Group
The Greenboy Group
- Assisting Wunderman Thompson, a worldwide leading digital marketing company, with a broad variety of IT and IP services, such as the conclusion of software licensing agreements, IT implementations, escrow agreements and data protection & cybersecurity.
- Assisting FedEx Express with all of its IT related procurement contracts, such as cloud computing agreements, software licenses, SaaS agreements, escrow agreements, software development agreements and other commercial IT agreements.
- Advising Wereldhave on the full spectrum of Information Technology matters, including digitalisation projects, data protection questions and SAP licenses.
Vondst Advocaten N.V
Vondst Advocaten N.V is known for handling complex IT projects, outsourcing transactions, and advising both big-name clients and niche innovative businesses on matters relating to new technologies. Experienced IT specialist Polo van der Putt leads the team on IT contracts, disputes and data protection mandates. An added dimension is brought by Tjeerd Overdijk, who focuses on disputes where IP and IT intersect. Data protection expert Herwin Roerdink is a name to note for data-driven clients active in numerous sectors. Associate Tineke van de Bunt is skilled in drafting and negotiating IT contracts.
Polo van der Putt
Other key lawyers:
Tjeerd Overdijk; Herwin Roerdink; Tineke van de Bunt
‘The lawyers are very accessible, have a true interest in our business specifics and are experts in the IT field’
Randstad Groep Nederland
- Advising Dutch IT service provider Centric in various disputes, including litigation against a municipality and a dispute with Uniface.
- Advised IT service provider Softproviding in an ERP deal with meat processor Vion.
- Advised pension fund PGB in various outsourcing and technology transactions and currently advising PGB on the development and exploitation of a pension administration platform in a joint venture with Achmea and in cooperation with IT service provider CGI.
Blockchain, AI and digital transformation of traditional industries forms a large part of CMS' broad tech, media, communications and data privacy and protection practice. Head of the employment and TMC sector group Katja Van Kranenburg – Hanspians focuses on data protection and the implementation of IT platforms and preparing contracts with third parties. Senior counsel Simon Sanders is a key contact for tech-related dispute resolution and assistance with the roll-out of new technologies and ecosystems. Rogier de Vrey works on IT matters that intersect with IP, while cybersecurity practitioner Erik Jonkman is a name to note for global and domestic security incidents.
Katja van Kranenburg-Hanspians
Other key lawyers:
Simon Sanders; Rogier de Vrey; Erik Jonkman
Advance Local Media
JB Wealth Management
Johnson & Johnson
- Advised HP in regard to two court cases initiated by the Dutch company Digital Revolution, alleging violation of advertising / unfair competition laws and trademark infringement.
- Advised BiZZdesign, a global Enterprise Architecture software company, in connection with Main Capital Partners acquiring a majority stake in BiZZdesign.
- Advised RWS Holdings in connection with the acquisition of Liones Holding (Fonto), the provider of the leading cloud-native, data-driven authoring solution for mission-critical documents.
Led by cross-border data protection and cyber security specialist Marc Elshof, Dentons coordinates pan-European global data protection projects for IT clients. Elshof also leads on drafting and negotiating software licences and implementations. Alexander Odle leads on matters where IP and IT overlap and senior associate Anouschka van de Graaf provides additional support on cross-border matters regarding IT, data protection and commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Odle; Anouschka van de Graaf; Thom Caro
‘Highly knowledgeable, pragmatic and pro-active team.’
‘Marc Elshof is cool, calm and collected. He is highly knowledgeable and an empathic yet thorough negotiator. Champions league lawyer.’
Analog (f/k/a Maxim Integrated)
MSTS / TreviPay
The Student Hotel
- Supporting The Student Hotel on the redesign of its IT architecture by supporting in contract negotiations with key vendors.
- Reviewing Aegon’s outsourcing documentation and arrangements with an eye for compliance with recent guidelines and requirements from Dutch and European regulatory authorities and GDPR.
- Advising Superunie on contract negotiations with KPN and Simac on the internet and IT services operating in all 1,800 supermarkets and stores of Superunie’s members.
Dirkzwager’s Arnhem-based IT practice is sought out by clients for a range of matters, including contracts for hardware and software service agreements, disputes concerning failed automation projects and software, and data protection issues. The team, led by Ernst-Jan van de Pas, regularly works on IT-related matters in the healthcare and life sciences sector, including handling cases that reach the Supreme Court and negotiating tech partnerships between hospitals and high-tech medical devices companies. Mark Jansen heads the data protection and cybersecurity teams and is instrumental in drafting GIBIT terms (new conditions for procuring IT services and products) in Dutch municipalities. Joost Becker is a soft IP specialist, representing clients in contentious design rights, copyrights and image rights as well as advertising disputes. Christel Jeunink focuses on IP contracting, R&D projects and licensing agreements. Associate Sven Wakker drafts IT contracts and is a key member of the privacy and IT teams.
Ernst-Jan van de Pas; Joost Becker; Mark Jansen; Christel Jeunink
Other key lawyers:
‘The lawyers possess strong IT knowledge, take a personal approach and are available at key times.’
‘People like Ernst-Jan and Sven Wakker know when to act and show up when they need to, including evenings and early mornings.’
‘Mark Jansen and Sven Wakker have specific knowledge, are excellent communicators and have flexible attitudes.’
‘Ernst-Jan van der Pas is friendly and clever. Mark Jansen is likeable and takes a deep interest in legal developments and is not shy in sharing his opinions on these developments.’
‘Mark Janssen is amicable, a good communicator and delivers on time. His input is spot-on.’
‘Mark Jansen and Dafne de Boer are notable partners. Systematically strong and achieve optimal results in order to properly argue the case.’
‘The firm has good knowledge off the healthcare industry, including the specifics of IT suppliers.’
ETZ (Elisabeth-TweeSteden Ziekenhuis)
Rijnstate Hospital Arnhem
Hogeschool Arnhem-Nijmegen (HAN)
Vereniging Nederlandse Gemeenten (VNG)
Nationale Stichting Grote Clubactie (NSGC)
Landelijke Huisartsen Vereniging (“LHV”) and InEen
- Assisted Alliander’s subsidiaries with contract drafting and negotiations for the provision of its software platforms so that its services can be easily expended throughout Germany, UK and the Nordics.
- Represented Stichting Elisabeth-TweeSteden Ziekenhuis, a hospital group with 3 major sites in the Netherlands, in Supreme Court litigation due to the failed implementation of the Electronic Health Record by Portuguese IT-supplier Alert.
- Assisted the HAN University of Applied Sciences in the handling of one of the larger data breaches in the Netherlands (550k+ data subjects) and all the follow-up actions.
Greenberg Traurig LLP
Greenberg Traurig LLP‘s IT practice focuses on outsourcing, data protection and transactions involving international and notable domestic clients. Practice head Herald Jongen advises public bodies on large IT projects, namely the implementation of large infrastructure and ground-breaking IT systems. GDPR compliance for global companies also forms a large part of the firm’s practice. Senior associates Nienke Bernard and Eduard Stein are key contact for data protection compliance, licensing and outsourcing matters.
Other key lawyers:
Nienke Bernard; Eduard Stein
‘The team combines good business knowledge with top notch legal capabilities.’
‘Herald Jongen stands out. He assisted us in several outsourcing deals and saved us a lot of money and prevented serious downside risks.’
‘GT is practical, thorough and is able to pivot swiftly, bringing proper knowledge and expertise to the table.’
‘The lawyers are razor-sharp and knowledgeable, providing guidance geared up to finding solutions.’
State of the Netherlands: Ministry of Justice and Security
Nationale Nederlanden Bank
European Stability Management (ESM)
Vecos Europe B.V.
National Cyber Security Centre of the Dutch State (NCSC)
- Assisting the State Ministry of Defence with various aspects of large IT projects.
- Assisted the Ministry of Justice and Security on the renewal of licence agreements of many public entities with Microsoft.
- Assisted the Ministry of Justice and Security on the consequences of the Schrems II decision.
NautaDutilh's IT practice has attracted new clients in the tech industry for assistance with procurement, transactional and litigation. Global media organisations, such as broadcasting groups also entrust the firm with contractual technology matters. IT outsourcing, data monetisation and cyber security specialist Joris Willems heads the team. Financial institutions and tech investors routinely call on corporate practitioner Sybren de Beur for advice on investing in emerging tech companies. Associates Cyril Christaans and Eva Reinders are names to note for IT commercial contract advice. Associate partner Nima Lorjé is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
Marlous Schrijvers; Cyril Christiaans; Eva Reinders; Sarah Zadeh; Nima Lorjé; Sybren de Beur
‘An outstanding firm with an outstanding reputation. The lawyers have wonderful relationship building skills and levels of practicality.’
‘The NautaDutilh team is excellent. They really understand our business. They are also very practical, commercially savvy, have a global outlook and are fun to work with. Their team is truly diverse which we value a lot and don’t see at many other firms’
‘Joris Willems has been my go-to lawyer for a long time He is simply the best. He gets the job done with humor and natural charm and whenever possible to the best interest of all parties involved. He is a deal maker.’
‘The in-depth knowledge across the team is quite something. Pairing that with pragmatism makes the team at Nauta the perfect partner.’
‘Eva Reinders has proven to be a valuable asset to the team.’
‘We have been working with Joris Willems for a long time, making him very well positioned to help us out in times of need. He is truly a trusted partner to us that always delivers and is always available.’
‘Cyril Christiaans has everything a client could ask for. His extensive experience enables him to very effectively advise us during sticky contract negotiations’
‘We had the great pleasure to work with Eva Reinders, who helped us with the negotiations of various IT contracts for our new business proposition. I admire her quiet performance and politeness even when the counterparty was annoying or rude; she stayed very calm and made her point in a gentle but firm way, what resulted in good negotiations results. She has excellent knowledge and is a fantastic support.’
Joffe & Associes
Century Aluminium Company
Tata Consultancy Services
beIN Media Group
Johan Cruijff Arena
- Advisign Prosus Services B.V. on all kinds of outsourcing deals, IT and outsourcing contracts.
- Assisted TCS on a public procurement (tender) issued by the Netherlands Healthcare Authority (NZa) for a complex project regarding outsourcing of ICT workstations, infrastructure services and development of a Data & Analyses Platform.
- Represented Knab Bank in a matter brought by a customer before the Dutch Committee on Human Rights.
Osborne Clarke acts for a growing list of leading global clients in the in technology sector. The team, led by Coen Barneveld Binkhuysen and supported by data protection expert Joanne Zaaijer, advises blue-chip clients on a range of complex Dutch IT matters involving cutting-edge issues such as VR, augmented reality and emerging EU regulatory issues. Binkhuysen assists customers and suppliers with cross-border procurements of state-of-the-art technologies, such as blockchain, smart city, IoT and software development projects.
Coen Barneveld Binkhuysen
Other key lawyers:
‘We always get high quality advice and I highly appreciate how they did and do their best to know our organisation and understand our needs perfectly.’
‘I see Coen Barneveld Binkhuysen as an advisor who I can trust completely and who understands the organisation and our approach perfectly. I appreciate his no-nonsense style, honestly and personal approach.’
‘Coen Barneveld Binkhuysen is very pleasant to work with and pragmatic. It was a pleasure to have Coen on the other side in this project.’
‘OC Netherlands are experts in their field but are also extremely collaborative. Work is distributed between partners with trust and confidence. They are also simply a great, personable bunch of people to work with.’
‘OC Netherlands stand out for their personable and collaborative approach. Special mention should be given to Coen Barneveld Binkhusyen – technically excellent, commercially astute and a pleasure to work with.’
- Assist Meta on a continuous basis on a wide variety of matters, mainly in relation to Facebook.
- Regularly update Google on the local implementation of the Omnibus Directive and the effect it has on Google’s services in the Netherlands.
- Day-to-day advisors for Henkel in the area of data protection law, including providing training to Henkel’s employees who are responsible for certain processing operations.
Launched in April 2022, boutique IT and privacy firm Turing Law is led by experienced IT duo Huub de Jong and Tom de Wit, who were previously with Louwers Advocaten. The firm works with clients in the healthcare and IT industries on cloud licensing, cybersecurity, medical devices licensing, data rights, AI, mobile apps and encryption. At associate level, Marijn Rooke is a key contact for disputes concerning data breaches and Esmée Fonville advises on the drafting of commercial contracts.
Huub de Jong; Tom de Wit
Other key lawyers:
Marijn Rooke; Esmee Fonville
‘Huub is a great practical lawyer that is up for a challenge.’
The team is growing rapidly, and I am sure that Turing Law will become a key player in the field of IT law.’
‘A small and well-balanced team, dedicated to finding the most practical solutions. I like their down to earth and result oriented approach, not overcomplicating often already complicated issues, finding useful solutions within the legal context and not creating more issues in the process.’
Vereniging Nederlandse Gemeenten
Nederlands Centrum Jeugdgezondsheidszorg
- Advising a key software supplier for digital health solutions in a tender process regarding a new patient record systems for a national governmental healthcare organisation
- Representing a global e-commerce player as part of the deal team for IT, IP and data privacy regarding the sale of its shares to a US based competitor.
- Representing a global IT-supplier in summary proceedings relating to the question of whether an IT-supplier has a legal obligation to continue the use of cloud software after the software has reached its end-of-life.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP advises international clients operating in the tech industry and digital marketplace on investments, patents, M&A transactions and outsourcing. Head of the Amsterdam tech and data group Frits Gerritzen advises clients on IP, data privacy and IT contracting matters. Corporate and commercial practitioner Gijs Linse leads on a number of tech-driven transactions. Nicole Wolters Ruckert is the name to note for data protection compliance and enforcement assistance for emerging technology companies.
Frits Gerritzen; Gijs Linse
Other key lawyers:
Nicole Wolters Ruckert; Ninwa Alan
‘Great team and great knowledge of the IT-market.’
The experienced Jan Brölmann leads the team at HabrakenRutten following his arrival in 2021 from Van Benthem & Keulen. The group focuses on the integration of software-as-a-service systems in the infrastructure, real estate, energy and technology sectors. The team advises some of the largest multi-national construction companies on multi-jurisdictional cloud sourcing transactions, tendering mandates, procurements and agreements.
‘The Information Technology practice of Habraken Rutte led by Jan Bröllman is very professional. Jan is a highly qualified expert on the legal aspects of IT and privacy related issues.’
‘Jan Brolmann is a pleasure to work with. Solutions oriented with extensive legal and IT knowledge. A highly effective negotiator with great business acumen. Fast thinker who gets the deal done.’
‘Jan Brollman is a pragmatic and dedicated adviser.’
‘With the more complicated contracts and cases, we rely on the expert advice of Jan Brölmann. His knowledge of the industry and market practice, calmness and pleasant way of dealing with us and our counterparties is a real added value for us. In addition, his advice is practically applicable and concrete.’
‘VolkerWessels has been working with HabrakenRutten for quite a long-time time. Our IT department has chosen HabrakenRutten for their knowledge in IT and because of this they have helped us in several cases.’
‘Our IT department predominantly works with Jan Brölmann. Jan is equipped with in depth legal l IT knowledge and is always a pleasure to work with.’
Royal Terberg Group
- Advised Dura Vermeer on a major sourcing transaction relating to the use of cloud based workplaces.
- Assisted Royal VolkerWessels as lead counsel in renegotiations of the Master Business Services Agreement (MBSA) with Microsoft.
- Supported Vialis on various matters relating to the use of state of the art intelligent traffic light installations and involving data sharing between public and private entities.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
The IT practice at Hogan Lovells International LLP focuses on global cyber incidents and regulatory enforcement actions. EU privacy and cybersecurity specialist Joke Bodewits frequently coordinates strategic privacy and security projects as well as drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, namely IT licensing and distribution agreements. Associates Chantal Van Dam and Fenneke Buskermolen are key contacts for global data retention and international transfer strategies.
Other key lawyers:
Chantal van Dam; Fenneke Buskermolen
‘Very strong team, exceptional knowledge of data privacy. Practical advice well received by our internal business partners. Very pleasant team to work with. Always available.’
‘Joke Bodewits, Chantal van Dam, Fenneke Buskermolen all have exceptional GDPR knowledge and forward thinking skills. They have very good knowledge of new technologies in combination with the healthcare sector.’
‘Joke’s ability to work on complex technical issues, transforming these within the contract negotiation, so that non-technical persons will understand and agree’
- Assisting Booking.com with strategic advice on its data privacy and governance, and use and optimalisation of data, including personal data, on a day-to-day basis.
- Assisted ViacomCBS with setting up a joint venture with Comcast for the launch of SkyShowtime, a new subscription video on demand streaming service.
- Advised PVH on data protection, ePrivacy and cybersecurity matters.
Leeway‘s IT practice has grown following the arrival of experienced IT specialist Michiel van Ast in April 2021; his previous roles include in-house counsel at a global tech company and counsel at boutique IT law firm. Van Ast focuses on digital transformation and commercial contracting, supporting a range of clients with software licensing, implementation and outsourcing projects. Senior associate Jos Klaus and IP specialist Michiel Odink represent tech companies in soft IP disputes, where IP and IT intersect.
Michiel van Ast
Other key lawyers:
Michiel Odink; Eric Keyzer; Jos Klaus; Arnoud Martens; Nini Blom; Lotte Rutgers
‘Responsive, knowledgeable and reasonable fees’
‘Friendly, in-depth knowledge with a pragmatic approach’
‘The team consists of dedicated professionals with in-depth knowledge of information technology. One of Leeway’s strengths is that they are very fast and practical. Instead of lengthy legal memos Leeway provides short and to the point advice that can be adopted by the client in the day to day operations.’
Royal Swinkels Family Brewers
Karl Lagerfeld Group
Scotch & Soda
Unica ICT Solutions
- Advising on IP and data protection matters to multiple clients, including The Fabricant and Scotch & Soda, for metaverse entry strategies and the minting and trading of NFTs.
- Advising Danone on IT outsourcing projects.
- Advising Karl Lagerfeld on major tech transformations involving the transition to a new e-commerce platform, and managing cross-border data localisation.
SOLV Advocaten’s IT practice, which represents global IT and cloud providers in high-profile disputes, is jointly led by experienced litigator Douwe Linders and data protection expert Thomas van Essen. Attorney Yentl van den Winkel is a key contact for transactions in the digital space and also handles contentions work. Associates Micha Schimmel and Anouck Bakhuis provide additional support.
Thomas van Essen; Douwe Linders
Other key lawyers:
Yentl van den Winkel; Micha Schimmel; Anouck Bakhuis
‘Great knowledge of data privacy.’
‘Douwe Linders is proactive, very knowledgeable, a clear communicator, pragmatic and is a very nice person to work with.’
‘SOLV has a strong customer-oriented approach based on extensive experience. The team excels in providing pragmatic advice.’
- Advised SAP in the renegotiation of a multi-million-euro licensing deal.
- Advised online auction platform Catawiki on ecommerce law, consumer law, terms and conditions, commercial contracting and privacy law.
- Advised 4NG on the acquisition of digital agencies Netvlies, Brainbrothers, Bikkelhart and The Factor E.
Otto Sleeking heads Taylor Wessing LLP‘s IT practice, focusing on IT public procurement and supporting clients during the whole lifecycle of IT sourcing, including the drafting, review and negotiation of contracts. Sleeking also handles data processing agreements, security measures and data transfers. Recently promoted counsel Martijn Loth has ‘in-depth IT knowledge’ and is a ‘fantastic adviser for (start-up) fintech companies’; he provides contractual advice and assists with data protection regulatory compliance.
Other key lawyers:
‘Specialist, relatively small team that is able to provide high-quality services in a timely manner. Despite being part of a big international firm, this team is generally willing to accommodate the client’s wishes in terms of fees.’
‘Otto Sleeking leads the team in a good manner. He is very knowledgeable and has a good understanding of what’s happening in the market. Martijn Loth stands out in terms of his working mentality and broad IT/data knowledge as well as IT industry knowledge.’
‘Practical law firm. They provide us with great value for money.’
Unisys Nederland NV
ING Bank N.V.
Lidl Nederland GmbH
Technische Unie BV
Kawasaki Motors Europe NV
Technische Universiteit Delft
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
- Assisting the Sonepar group with negotiations and drafting of contracts for a global Warehouse Management System.
- Assisted Riwal as lead counsel in a major outsourcing of the majority of its global IT-services to a 3rd party supplier, while ensuring a seamless transition, transformation and run-phase for group affiliates in 12 jurisdictions.
- Assisted Leen Bakker, part of the Home Fashion Group, in implementing its omnichannel strategy through an expansion of its online marketplace to selected third party suppliers.
Whitebridge Advocatuur B.V.
Boutique IT firm Whitebridge Advocatuur B.V. handles outsourcing, data privacy, IT contractual, IT disputes and cloud sourcing. Practice head and outsourcing expert Anja Dekhuijzen represents clients following failed IT projects and assists innovative clients with IT and data protection matters. The group is particularly sought out by clients for assistance with IT matters concerning Serbia.
‘Unique combination of legal and IT knowledge that leads to a quick and accurate analysis.’
‘Makes time on short notice if the matter is urgent.’
KPMG Advisory services B.V.
HZPC Holland B.V.
Technische Universiteit Delft
BRIDGESTONE EUROPE N.V./S.A.