EU and competition in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP's competition and regulatory practice has a well-established presence in merger control cases, and regularly acts for clients before the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets and the European Commission. The firm stands out for its cross-border capabilities and has significant expertise in regulated industries; key clients include postal service PostNL, national airline KLM and energy company TAQA. Practice head Kees Schillemans is advising PostNL on the competition aspects of the €130m acquisition of Sandd. Working alongside Schillemans on this matter is senior associate Tjarda van der Vijver, who delivers 'pragmatic' advice. Clients praise Yvo de Vries' 'practical approach', and Marinus Winters and senior associates Emma Besselink and Pieter Huizing are also noted.
‘A&O’s competition law team is very client focused, delivers clear and pragmatic advice and has an in-depth knowledge of our sector. A pleasure to work with!‘
‘Tjarda van der Vijver is a true partner to me as a client, he has in-depth knowledge of our sector and delivers clear, pragmatic and crisp advice. Generally, this is a clear requirement for me as a client, but in the case of competition law it is not so easy to find. Tjarda also has a hands-on mentality.‘
‘Yvo de Vries is an experienced partner that is always calm and in control. He is easy to reach and has a very practical approach.‘
- Advising PostNL on the competition aspects of the €130m acquisition of Sandd, to form a singular national postal network for the Netherlands.
- Assisting Sanoma with the merger clearance procedure for its €277m acquisition of Iddink, a leading Dutch educational platform and service provider, from NPM Capital.
- Acting for Scania in a significant cartel case after it was fined €880m by the European Union for its part in a price-fixing cartel.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek offers 'practical and clear' advice and its practice is active across the entire spectrum of competition law. The firm has notable experience in international competition litigation, cartel and fraud investigations, merger control, and state aid. Practice head Jolling de Pree is acting for British Airways in multiple follow-on actions in the Netherlands relating to the alleged air cargo cartel. Also noted are Helen Gornall, Bart de Rijke, Machteld de Monchy, and senior associates Stephanie The, Gurgen Hakopian, and Zeynep Ortac. Maikel Van Wissen joined from Linklaters and divides his time between Amsterdam and Brussels.
‘The team is very well available and understands the business. The cooperation with other expert groups within De Brauw is great. Overall De Brauw’s advice is practical and clear.’
‘Hands-on, easy to access, cooperative while maintaining a helicopter view. In particular, Helen Gornall is truly pleasant to work with as she understand the position an inhouse counsel is in. Her availability on all hours of the day is very amazing.’
Jacobs Douwe Egberts/JDE
Port of Rotterdam
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
- Advised Takeaway.com on its acquisition of Delivery Hero’s German food delivery activities.
- Acted as lead counsel to Vopak on its acquisition of a 29% share in an FSRU-based LNG import terminal in Pakistan.
- Acting for DAF Trucks in the coordination of its defence against multiple follow-on damages claims in European and non-European jurisdictions.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV's team's clients include the three largest Dutch municipalities and it is the permanent advisor to the municipality of Amsterdam on the Services Directives and the allocation of scarce rights. Practice head Erik Pijnacker Hordijk is experienced in matters concerning merger control, cartels and abuse of dominance. Pijnacker represented the Dutch state in civil proceedings against several British citizens living in the Netherlands relating to their post-Brexit citizenship rights under EU law. Senior associate Christina Muntinghe and associates Marleen Botman and Georges Dictus are also recommended.
Dutch State (all Ministries)
Dutch Competition Authority (ACM)
Scandinavian Airlines (Stockholm)
Daimler AG (Stuttgart)
Municipality of Amsterdam
Municipality of Rotterdam
- Acting for ArcelorMittal in an action for cartel damages initiated by Deutsche Bahn.
- Represented the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport in a lawsuit concerning a subsidy scheme of €26m for non-invasive prenatal testing.
- Represented the ACM in an appeal against the prohibition of a merger between two large regional hospitals.
The competition and regulation team at Stibbe has an established presence in the fields of cartels, abuse of dominance, and follow-on damage litigation. The firm's key clients include Credit Suisse, Heineken, and Mars. Practice head Rein Wesseling, Christof Swaak, Floris ten Have are representing Credit Suisse in two high-profile cases regarding financial markets conduct. Jeroen Kortmann, associates Roos Elemans and Stijn de Jong are also noted.
British American Tobacco
Janssen De Jong
Kuehne + Nagel
NVB (Dutch Banking Association)
- Representing Credit Suisse in two high-profile cases for conduct in the financial markets.
- Acted for APG and GIC on a merger control matter in the luxury hotel segment
- Advised citizenM hotels and its existing shareholders KRC and APG on a merger control matter in the hotel sector.
Bird & Bird's competition department has 'proven to be an authority in this field'. The firm's focus lies in the information technology, communications, electronics, media, energy, banking and financial services sectors. Practice head Pauline Kuipers specialises in EU and Dutch competition law in regulated sectors, in particular telecoms, and media. Kuipers advised TGPNL during an investigation by the ACM. Other key members include Janneke Kohlen, Hein Hobbelen, associates Mariska van de Sanden and Piet-Hein Eijssen.
‘The competition department of Bird & Bird has excellent lawyers, who advise proactively and guide a client in a field that is both complex and precarious‘.
‘Bird & Bird has proven to be an authority in this field and also has employees who are able to put themselves in my position as a customer‘.
‘I have personally worked a lot with Tialda Beetstra. She’s an associate who works in the team of partner Pauline Kuipers. Tialda works very efficiently, is highly qualified and was well informed in a short time about the details of our organization and the sensitivities of the market in which we operate.Moreover, a very pleasant person to work with‘.
‘Pauline Kuipers has assisted with certain more complex advice issues. Pauline is a very experienced lawyer with a great network, lots of directly relevant business experience and persuasiveness as a person. She is also a very nice person to work with.‘
T-Mobile Netherlands B.V.
Tele2 Nederland B.V.
Mastercard Europe S.A.
Marshall Land Systems Ltd.
GS1 Nederland B.V.
Groupe Limagrain Holding S.A.
Deutsche Telekom AG
Trusted Quality & Integrity Solutions B.V.
Total Gas & Power Nederland B.V.
Blackboard International B.V.
Commvault Systems International B.V.
- Advised Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile Netherlands on the €190m acquisition of Tele2 Netherlands.
- Represented Total Gas & Power Nederland B.V. in the energy sector during an investigation by the Dutch Authority for Consumer and Markets which resulted in a commitment decision.
- Acted for Trusted Quality & Integrity Solutions B.V. on the creation of a transparency qualification register for intermediaries active in the energy sector.
The Dentons team advises across the spectrum of competition and antitrust issues, with considerable experience in anti-trust litigation. Practice head Marc Kuijper is a 'very talented and insightful lawyer'; Kuijper is advising Turkish company Vestel in respect of a €2bn claim against the cathode ray tube cartel. Also recommended is Bram Braat, who is 'an immense pleasure to work with'. Braat is acting for a Dutch technology startup SkyGeo in a public procurement dispute over whether the Dutch state has the right to put SkyGeo’s proprietary data into the public domain.
‘The Dentons Litigation team in Amsterdam is a very strong team with excellent resources from top to bottom.’
‘Marc Kuijper is a very talented and insightful lawyer who provides a rare combination of outstanding litigation skills, great strategic thinking and a calm and thoughtful approach to conflict resolution.’
‘Bram Braat is not only a super-friendly individual but also an awesome lawyer and a great source of knowledge. One of his strengths is that he can assess an issue and translate it into non-lawyer language. Besides that he has a sense of humour which makes working with him an immense pleasure.’
Cemaz Industria Eletrônica da Amazonia S.A. ; IGB Eletrônica S.A.; and Itautec S.A. – Grupo
Vestel Trading Companies
Van Gelder Groep
- Advising Fairtrade on the competition law aspects of a new effort to ensure that workers on African farms who produce goods for western consumption are paid a “living wage”.
- Represented and advised Noot Personenvervoer on a tender procedure of several municipalities which was disputed at the district court in Utrecht.
- Representing Van Gelder in proceedings before the Dutch Court against Shell, concerning a claim for damages because of the Dutch Bitumen Cartel.
Houthoff has a full service EU and competition practice with cross-border capabilities. The firm has strong expertise in competition litigation, merger control and cartel investigations. Practice head Weyer VerLoren van Themaat possesses 'sound industry knowledge' and 'out of the box' thinking, evidenced by his representation of Singapore Airlines and Cargolux in numerous Dutch private enforcement proceedings. Also recommended are Gerrit Oosterhuis and Greetje van Heezik.
‘Weyer VerLoren van Themaat: sound industry knowledge and professionalism and easy to work with and has a practical approach‘.
‘Excellent expertise in the field of European law and good contacts with the European Commission‘.
Sligro Food Group
- Representing Singapore Airlines and Cargolux in numerous Dutch private enforcement proceedings before Amsterdam Courts.
- Defending LGE against a €2bn cartel damages claim submitted by Vestel.
- Advised Sligro on the acquisition of Cash & Carry, a complex transaction as both wholesalers are based in Amsterdam and have significant market shares.
Loyens & Loeff's competition and regulatory practice is 'very pragmatic and solution driven' with significant experience in the life sciences, healthcare and food sectors. The firm's client roster includes Bayer, Achmea, AND ZN. The team is led by Marc Wiggers and Gert-Wim van de Meent, who represented 3i in relation to the competition aspects of its successful bid and subsequent acquisition of Joulz. Other key members of the team include Marc Custers, Robin Struijlaart, senior associates Natasja Brusik and Joost Dibbits.
‘Very responsive, high level of quality, very engaged, very pragmatic and solution driven, clear and good communication’.
PHOENIX group and Brocacef
ABN AMRO Participaties
Active Capital Company
- Advises and represents Espria in relation to merger control aspects of the proposed acquisition of its competitor TSN.
- Represented 3i in relation to the competition aspects of its successful bid and subsequent acquisition of Joulz, which required a notification to and prior approval of the ACM.
- Advised Orpea on aspects of competition law in several acquisitions of Dutch healthcare companies.
NautaDutilh's EU and competition team is 'very knowledgable, service oriented and facilitating'. The firm's practice displays expertise in private equity liability, cartel investigations and cartel damage litigation. A notable highlight for the firm has been its representation of Lufthansa and SWISS Air Lines in multiple follow-on cartel damages proceedings before the Dutch courts; new group head Mauricette Schaufeli, previously at PwC, as well as Philip Malanczuk and senior associate Arnout Koeman are key individuals involved in this case. Also recommended are Vincent Wellens, Stan Brijs and senior associate Jasper De fauw.
‘The Nauta EU and competition team is very knowledgable, service oriented and facilitating‘.
‘The Nauta team is very pleasant to work with, hands on and easy accessible. You receive very good value for money‘.
SHV (& subs) incl. NPM
ABN AMRO Bank
- Representing Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Lufthansa Cargo AG and SWISS International Air Lines AG in multiple follow-on cartel damages proceedings before the Dutch courts.
- Representing Technicolor in their follow-on cartel damages proceedings before the Dutch courts.
- Assisted Europe Container Terminals with their proceedings with the Dutch Competition Authority.
Banning NV's EU and competition practice has a strong reputation in cartel litigation and operates significantly in the construction and automotive industries. The firm's client roster include key names in the automotive industry such as Dealercouncils Citröen and Peugeot. Practice head Minos van Joolingen and Martijn Jongmans are jointly representing Via Location in bringing civil damages claims against the truck manufacturers before the Dutch courts. Marcel Groothuismink has joined the team from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer.
Udea / Ekoplaza
Perfetti van Melle
Dealercouncil Audi Volkswagen Seat Skoda
BOVAG trade association
Dutch Chamber of Commerce
Van Wijnen group
- Advised Udea with the merger notification during the acquisition of Natudis, another organic supermarket.
- Advised DHL in the notification process of the proposed acquisition by Dutch postal company PostNL of its main competitor Sandd.
- Representing Via Location in bringing civil damages claims against the truck manufacturers before the Dutch courts.
BarentsKrans covers a wide range of EU and competition law including public procurement, state aid law, and cartel investigations. The team is praised not only for its expertise but also its 'understanding of the broader business challenges'. Joost Fanoy leads the practice and clients describe him as 'very knowledgable' with a 'sharp business mind'. The team is representing Macedonian Thrace Brewery with its follow-on litigation against Heineken and its Greek subsidiary Athenian Brewery. Also recommended is senior associate Tim Raats, a 'fantastic lawyer' with lots of experience.
‘Joost Fanoy is very knowledgeable, approachable and hands on. He has a sharp business (and common sense) approach and is very good at explaining difficult issues in simple terms which enable the business to make the proper decisions‘.
‘Tim also is a fantastic lawyer and – given his age – definitely one to watch in the future‘.
‘The team is a great choice for all competition law matters – both as regards Dutch and EU competition law – including merger control, cartel investigations, behavioural matters and compliance. The advice is always well tailored to the problem and the team works extremely well together.‘
Macedonian Thrace Brewery
Claims Funding Europe
Cartel Damage Claims
Omni Bridgeway / Hausfeld
Province of Zuid-Nederland
- Representing Macedonian Thrace Brewery with its follow-on litigation against Heineken and its Greek subsidiary Athenian Brewery.
- Advising Dura Vermeer with notifying the ACM of the acquisition of Leeuwenstein Groep.
- Advising Peitsman on the merger notification to the ACM of its take-over by Unilin.
Brinkhof has an experienced competition and regulatory practice, with particular recognition in regulated industries including telecoms, technology, media, life sciences and pharmaceuticals. The firm's key clients include KPN, Google, Toyota, and other leading industry names. A recent matter highlight for the firm is its representation of Nuon in proceedings relating to excessive pricing in the electricity sector; key individuals on this matter include practice head Pepijn van Ginneken and associate Hanneke Kooijman. Co-practice head Quinten Kroes, Remy Chavannes, Daan De Lange and associate Gaëlle Béquet are also noted.
‘The competition team at Brinkhof is responsive, and have detailed knowledge of local developments‘.
‘Pepijn van Ginneken and Quinten Kroes each has his own style but both are: hands-on, have deep knowledge of legal issue and business, professional, no provision of superfluous advice not really needed to sort out the problem/business; understand business and find good way to deal with business input, taking the input seriously even if it is not always relevant for the sorting out the legal issue, pleasant communication, full transparency in expected legal costs.’
Association of Dutch Commercial Radio Broadcasters (VCR)
Dutch Dairy Board (NZO)
- Representing telecoms operator KPN in appealing the decision to approve the merger of UPC and Ziggo in 2014, combining two fixed networks together and subsequently creating a significant market share.
- Representing Nuon, one of the three major electricity companies in the Netherlands, in a high-profile and landmark case regarding excessive pricing.
- Acting for Google in all of its Dutch litigation before the ACM and has been advising in relation to an investigation into dominance issues in the Dutch technology market.
The CMS EU and competition team handles contentious and non-contentious matters, particularly cartel proceedings. It handles merger notifications before the European Commission and ACM, evidenced by it advising Vattenfall in its acquisition of Delta Energie. Key clients include All Nippon Airways (ANA), the Port of Rotterdam, and Medtronic. The team is known for delivering 'quick' and 'practical' solutions and is led by practice heads Edmon Oude Elferink and Robert Bosman. Other key members include Roderick Nieuwmeyer and Annemieke Hazelhoff.
‘CMS quickly provides and clear practical answers and solutions in complicated legal matters and is proactive‘.
‘Robert Bosman is proactive in approaching us and making suggestions for areas to look at. In meetings with a big stakeholder group, Robert points out the complications and possibilities from a legal point of view. In these cases he is focused on looking for solutions as well‘.
‘Edmon Oude Elferink is knowledgeable, steadfast, pragmatic and service oriented at the same time, exactly what an in-house counsel needs from outside counsel support‘.
All Nippon Airways (ANA)
Port of Rotterdam
Koninklijke Volker Wessels
TNO/Ministry of Economic Affairs
Dutch Association for ICT and Telecommunication
- Advised energy company Vattenfall on competition law compliance in its acquisition of local energy company DELTA Energie.
- Representing Japan’s largest airline ANA in one of the largest follow-on damages cases, i.e. the Air cargo case.
- Represented Bios throughout cartel proceedings, starting with dawn raids at the company’s premises and ending with final judgment on ACM’s appeal by the Dutch Trade and Industry Appeals Tribunal.
The DLA Piper team has a 'hands-on mentality' with particular expertise in M&A transactions, regularly advising clients in first- and second phase merger filings before the European Commission and the ACM. Recent mergers the firm has handled include the Société Générale and Carlyle Group transactions, both of which were led by Legal Director Martijn van Wanroij. In May 2018 the firm's practice was strengthened with the arrival of Legal Director Janet Meesters from Houthoff. Litigation and regulatory practice head Ewald Netten, competition practice head Léon Korsten and senior associate Sophie Gilliam are also noted.
‘The DLA Piper team is very straight forward and helpful in M&A acquisitions and has a hands-on mentality‘.
‘Leon Korsten deserves a special mention. Leon proved to be a knowledgeable lawyer, always working towards the envisaged result, combining a good balance between solid legal advice and a pragmatic, business-oriented approach‘.
Discovery Communications Europe
Stichting Het Rijksmuseum
- Advised John Swire & Sons Ltd on their acquisition of three entities of the Simadan Group, together accounting for over 70% of the market share.
- Represented Saab Technologies in a dispute relating to a tender issued by Rijkswaterstaat.
- Represented Terraq’s predecessor, Mortelcentrale Cuijk, in the ACM investigation into the functioning of the ready-mix concrete sector.
Kennedy Van der Laan displays deep expertise in the banking and financial sector, regularly advising the three largest Dutch banks (ING, Rabobank, ABN AMRO). A notable matter highlight involved practice head Annemieke van der Beek and Martijn van Bemmel advising Dutch Payments Association regarding a dawn raid and the following procedure. Martine de Koning is another key member of the team and leads cases on abuse of dominance, vertical restraints and transfer of technology. Clients praise the competition team for its 'high-quality work' and 'professional, knowledgeable and practical lawyers'.
‘The competition law team at Kennedy Van der Laan consists of professional, knowledgeable and practical lawyers, who are very effective in obtaining the required results. They are thorough and deliver high-quality work‘.
‘I have worked with Martijn on a complex matter of competition law relating to the Dutch lottery system. He has extensive knowledge of competition law and is a really clever and skillful lawyer. Martijn is a great professional, who is positive and efficient at getting deals done. I can highly recommend him to others who require high-quality and practical legal advice‘.
‘Annemieke van der Beek. Very nice to work with, a real professional with a sharp insight into the client’s business‘.
Taskforce Integrale Geboortezorg
Port of Amsterdam
Bureau Krediet Registratie
- Advised Betaalvereniging / Dutch Payments Association on a dawn raid and the following procedure.
- Assisted the main banks in the Netherlands (ING, Rabobank, ABN AMRO Bank and Geldmaat) with a major case involving the pooling of all ATM-machines in a joint venture.
- Representing CB Trafilati Acciai S.p.A. in a high-profile follow-on steel cartel litigation case.
Maverick Advocaten N.V. is a boutique law firm with significant expertise in advising clients in competition law and regulated markets, specifically healthcare, telecoms and postal markets. Martijn van de Hel has a 'thorough knowledge of competition law' and jointly leads the practice with Diederik Schrijvershof; both are advising two large hospitals in the Rotterdam region (Erasmus MC and IJsselland Hospital) with their merger procedure at the Dutch Healthcare Authority (NZa) and ACM.
‘I admire Martijn for his drive, thorough knowledge of competition law and to get the most out of each case. In addition, he often comes up with creative solutions and approaches‘.
‘The team members are keen on reaching the most practical solutions for their clients’ complex business and legal challenges. Despite working in a leading law firm in the field of regulatory and competion law, they remain approachable‘.
Scotch & Soda
Van Loon Groep
- Represented H&S Coldstores before the Court of Rotterdam in annulling the fine imposed by the ACM in relation to alleged infringement.
- Represented Midac (an importer of traction batteries) in the appeal proceedings against a fine of almost €600,000 imposed on Midac by the ACM for alleged participation in a cartel.
- Advised OLVG with the approval of ACM and the NZa for the acquisition of MC Slotervaart.
Simmons & Simmons has a sector focus approach with significant cross-border capabilities, handling work in financial services, life sciences, TMT, energy and infrastructure sectors. The practice covers the entire range of competition law including anti-trust, merger control and state aid. The firm's regular clients include Aperam, Bridgestone, and Gilde Equity Management. Practice head Koen Platteau, who is based in Brussels, and Robert Hardy represented Aegon before the ACM in relation to its acquisition of Robidus from Avedon Capital Partners.
‘Simmons and Simmons LLP competition team covers not only EU and its member states but also other European countries and is very valuable for the clients as a one-stop firm for competitions matters in Europe. The team has not only excellent expertise but also very practical knowledge in order to promote businesses‘.
‘Koen Platteau: He is the head of Brussels office and very responsive to the clients’ business needs. He is also an expert in EU competition law and has helped Japanese clients in many merger control matters and investigation matters‘.
Gilde Equity Management (GEM) Benelux
Nippon Cargo Airlines
O2 Capital Partners
- Represented Aegon before the ACM in relation to its acquisition of Robidus from Avedon Capital Partners.
- Represented Aperam in connection with the merger control and related aspects of its proposed €438m acquisition of VDM Metals before the European Commission and other authorities worldwide.
- Represented Gilde Equity Management (GEM) before the ACM in relation to its acquisition of Wasco, a leading HVAC wholesaler in the Netherlands, from Ferguson plc.
Stek displays strong antitrust litigation experience with a robust knowledge of EU and competition law. The firm's clientele includes Samsung SDI, L’Oréal, and Simpel. Berend Reuder and Ruben Elkerbout are joint heads of the competition team and Jan Erik Janssen leads the regulated markets team. Also noted is Mattijs Baneke, an 'impressive associate'.
‘Stek have a very constructive approach and are easy to work with. They are responsive and helpful on cases‘.
‘Partner Berend Reuder stands out in his ability to quickly form a (pragmatic) game plan to draft and submit the filing; short communication lines and frequent updates on progress allow clients to have a good notion on the status of the filing. His experience and expertise in this field provides comfort in the chosen approach and obtaining the desired outcome‘.
‘Ruben Elkerbout is a very practical lawyer that understands business. He will approach a project with sincere attention for the business needs‘.
‘Mattijs Baneke is an impressive associate‘.
- Advising Simpel in first and second phase merger control proceedings before the European Commission.
- Representing Samsung SDI, in follow-on litigation vis-à-vis Turkish and Brazilian companies which purchased CRT products.
- Representing VATfree.com in a landmark abuse of dominance case against Schiphol Airport concerning secondary discrimination and refusal to supply.
Van Doorne has extensive experience of providing competition rules compliance advice and training. It also assists clients with ACM inquiries and the competition rules in relation to distribution arrangements. It has a notable presence in the healthcare, retail, education, media and financial services sectors. The 'excellent' Sarah Beeston and Gijs Verberne jointly lead the team and clients praise them for their 'hands-on approach' and delivering 'constructive advice'. Associate Pim Jansen is also noted.
‘A strong team with a hands-on approach. Strong in litigation before the courts and in procedures before the competition authority. Extensive experience in cartel damages claims‘.
‘Sarah Beeston is excellent‘.
‘Sarah Beeston is a respected competition practitioner with a substantial experience in (domestic) cartel cases.‘
‘Sarah Beeston is an outstanding lawyer going the extra mile for her clients. Native English speaker and strong in communication.’
‘Van Doorne are a very experienced team – they know the law, and they know exactly what information we need on the law to make informed strategic decisions. It’s a pleasure to work with them.’
Technical University Eindhoven
Dutch Province of Zuid-Holland
- Advising Tetra Chemicals Europe on its commercial contracts and competition law compliance.
- Advising PMA in relation to an investigation by the Dutch Ministry for Education Culture and Science, and providing competition law compliance training.
- Advising Hornbach with competition compliance matter and training.
AKD's EU and competition team focus primarily on merger notifications and advising on compliance. Clients praise the team's 'approachable' nature and 'pragmatic thinking'. Practice head Pieter Kuypers is representing Vereniging Natuurmonumenten in a case brought by the European Commission regarding Dutch conservation organisations allegedly receiving illegal state aid. Also noted is senior associate Joost Houdijk, currently advising VINCI Energies in various merger filings at the ACM.
‘Easy to approach and short communication lines‘.
‘Pragmatic thinking, easy to approach‘
‘Real answers to questions with short reaction time to provide these answers, and with fair compensation rates. Provide advice beyond the requested issue‘.
Pro Rail B.V.
IOI Corporation Berhad
VINCI Energies Netherlands B.V.
De Hoge Dennen Capital SHI
Groningen Seaports N.V.
- Advising VINCI Energies Netherlands in various merger filings at the ACM concerning recent takeovers including the acquisition of Koning & Hartman B.V for approximately €27m.
- Representing Vereniging Natuurmonumenten in a case brought by the European Commission regarding Dutch conservation organisations allegedly receiving illegal state aid from the Dutch government.
- Assisting Human Total Care with concentration control notifications at the Dutch Healthcare Authority and at the ACM.
Baker McKenzie's EU and competition team is recognized for its cross-border capabilities and expertise in ACM investigations, internal corporate investigations, merger control and compliance. The firm's client roster includes Shell, Allianz, Biogen, and more. The team is led by Christiaan Van der Meer, who was promoted to partner in July 2019. Other key members of the team include Frank Kroes and Sjef Janssen.
- Representing energy company in follow-on litigation proceedings further to an infringement decision of the European Commission.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in a sector inquiry by the ACM.
- Advising leniency applicant on a multi-jurisdictional investigation and interactions with competition authorities, including the ACM.
bureau Brandeis is a boutique firm with a notable presence in digital markets, media, and fintech. The firm has a strong regulatory practice and represents clients during investigations by authorities. The team has been strengthened with the recruitment of 'highly skilled' Bas Braeken, joining from Maverick Advocaten N.V., and jointly leads the practice with Hans Bousie. The firm's key clients include Sandd, Aegon, and RadioCorp. Recent hightlights include the representation of Sandd in obtaining approval for its anticipated acquisition by PostNL, now subject to a phase II-investigation.
‘Bas Braeken is highly skilled‘.
OK IT B.V.
- Representing Sandd in obtaining approval for its anticipated acquisition by PostNL, now subject to a phase II-investigation.
- Representing Portugese company Fapricela in a follow-on cartel damages claim procedure relating to the alleged pre-stressing steel cartel.
- Advising Niels Kerstholt, Mark Tuitert and EU Athletes as third parties in a landmark case on the application of EU competition law to the rules set by international sports federations.
Clifford Chance's well-rated antitrust practice regularly advises on complex multi-jurisdictional merger control cases. A matter highlight includes advising Spotify on its submissions to the ACM as part of an investigation into mobile app stores. The practice head is Frans Muller, a 'sound, efficient and accessible lawyer'.
‘Practicable, fast and sound advice. Very capable particularly in M&A transactions‘.
‘Team led by Frans Muller – a sound, efficient and accessible lawyer. Very competent associates‘.
‘Good knowledge in their field of expertise‘.
‘Frans Muller is very knowledgeable and not afraid to challenge business partners on the status quo, all in a pleasant manner‘.
IK Investment Partners
- Advised Spotify on its submissions to the Dutch Competition Authority (the Authority for Consumers and Markets, ACM) as part of the ACM’s sector investigation into mobile app stores.
- Assiting Pfizer with the ongoing sector investigation of the Dutch competition authority (Authority for Consumers and Markets, ACM) into anti-rheumatic medicines in the Netherlands.
- Advised Tele2 on its agreement with Deutsche Telekom to combine Tele2 Netherlands and T-Mobile Netherlands.
Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V.'s EU, competition and trade practice is active in a wide range of fields including public procurement, compliance and behavioural work, cartels, verticals and merger control. The firm's key clients include G4S, Lyondell, and Archer Daniels Midland. Practice head Michel Chatelin has particular expertise in the energy sector. Also noted is senior associate Eline van Nimwegen who is knowledgeable in the health and life sciences sectors.
Archer Daniels Midland (ADM)
- Advised G4S on issues concerning merger control in G4S’s prospective acquisition of all shares in SecurCash Nederland.
- Assisted Den Hartog with the interim relief proceeding against the Gemeente Amsterdam, in respect of the rights and procedure to grant the award of a tender.
- Advised City of Amsterdam on public procurement issues regarding the purchase of solar panels.
HVG Law LLP's competition and regulated markets team is known for handling vertical agreements and cartel defence work. The firm has a large portfolio of Japanese multinational clients including Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nichirei, and Hitachi Construction Machinery. Practice head Misha Lutje Beerenbroek, responsible for forming the firm's competition practice, has significant expertise in the food, retail, and heavy industries (machinery, waste, chemicals).
‘Misha Lutje Beerenbroek thinks very practically and has excellent knowledge of company and competition law‘.
‘Misha Lutje Beerenbroek is a very pleasant lawyer. Practical, streetwise, gives you a straight “yes” or “no” answer, which not too many lawyers are able to come up with‘.
Hitachi Construction Machinery
Mitsubishi Caterpillar Forklift
- Advising Remondis on its acquisition of Reym in the merger approval proceedings before the ACM.
- Assisted Coop with merger approval proceedings with the ACM and the competition team secured the approval for the acquisition of 51 supermarkets operating under the name ‘Emté’, formerly owned by Sligro.
- Advising Mohawk on merger approval proceedings before the ACM in relation to its acquisition of Peitsman.
The Jones Day antitrust and competition practice combines extensive cross-border capabilities with solid knowledge of EU merger control law. The firm is advising Hino on merger control and antitrust compliance in relation to its strategic global partnership with TRATON. Practice head Yvan Desmedt is 'business oriented' and provides 'practical and tailored advice'. Coen Drion and associate Kornel Olsthoorn are also noted.
‘Vast expertise in EU & Competition law. Practical and precise advice.‘
‘Yvan Desmedt, is very effective, responsive and business-oriented, providing practical and tailored advice.‘
General Electric Company
APPLiA (European Federation of Household Appliances)
FESE (European Federation of Stock Exchanges)
- Advising Hino in relation to its strategic global partnership with TRATON SE.
- Advised DAS on the acquisition of a portion of SRK Rechtsbijstand’s assets, involving close cooperation with the ACM.
- Advising GIMV and Damen as joint venture partners for the acquisition of Alewijnse.
Taylor Wessing LLP
Taylor Wessing LLP has significant expertise in a blend of competition and IP law. Additionally, the firm has a strong presence in national cartel cases before the Dutch courts. The firm recently advised Five Arrows Principal Investments on filing the merger control notification with the ACM for the acquisition of Sucsez Groep. Practice head Bram Nijhof thinks 'outside the box' and is knowledgable in competition law, public procurement and state aid. Clients appreciate the firm's 'pragmatic and business-oriented' approach.
‘Bram Nijhof has a sharp mind and is able to think outside the box in order to help his clients’.
‘The team is reactive, pragmatic and business-oriented‘.
‘It is one of the few practices in the Netherlands that actively combines competition law and IP law‘.
‘Bram Nijhof. He is intelligent, has a good sense of humor and understands clients’ needs‘.
Asustek Computer Inc.
Five Arrows Principal Investments
- Assisted Apotex with filing a merger control notification to the ACM concerning the sale of the business to Aurobindo.
- Representing Zaanlandia, De Map and Succes Leesmappen for an appeal to Trade and Industry Appeals Tribunal asking to annul the fining decision imposed by the ACM on these three companies and their directors (three fines of €235,000).
- Advised Five Arrows Principal Investments on filing a merger control notification to the ACM for the acquisition of Sucsez Groep B.V.