Imperial Law Associates specialises in corporate and commercial law and has recently expanded its offering in the data protection space. The firm is a key player in discussions with government officials regarding regulations and has a growing client base mainly consisting of well-known international clients looking to enter the market. The firm is jointly led by Nabin Bhandari, Surendra Tiwari and Deepesh Ojha. Managing partner Bhandari has extensive experience in corporate, project finance (particularly hydropower projects) and intellectual property matters. Ojha similarly focuses on project finance and advises on corporate, finance and telecoms work. Tiwari, head of the litigation department, handles corporate, FDI, labour and cyber security matters.
Leading firms in Nepal
Imperial Law Associates
Nabin Bhandari; Surendra Tiwari; Deepesh Ojha
Now CFO LLC
Nippon Paint Holdings
BioMerieux India Pvt.
Family Health International
DXN Holdings Bhd.
Stitching BRAC International
Kinderpillar Ivy League Kids Pre School Private Limited
Nepal Carpet Manufacturers and Exporters Association
Bishwokarma Steel Industries
KSM Services Nepal
- Assisted DXN Holdings with the foreign investment approval process and corporate compliance matters in the establishment of a wholly-owned subsidiary for the operation of a manufacturing plant in Nepal.
- Advised Nippon Paints Holdings on market entry for the establishment of a subsidiary company through foreign investment in Nepal, and advised on labour regulation, industry compliance, environmental compliance and repatriation.
- Advised BioMerieux on cross border matters relating to the import and export of pharmaceutical products in Nepal. Also advised on the regulatory aspects related to trade compliance, competition law and foreign exchange regulations.
Pradhan & Associates
Pradhan & Associates is described by clients as ‘one of the leading law firms in the Nepalease market’ and ‘Nepal’s premier commercial law firm’. It is involved in complex and high value transactional work and litigation involving leading international clients across a range of industries. Managing partner and Senior Advocate Devendra Pradhan has a ‘strong reputation in the market’. Pradhan heads the team and offers his extensive experience in advising on matters such as cross border M&A, project finance, commercial litigation and IP work. Shirshak Ghimire , associate partner, is another key individual in high value cross border M&A work and litigation. Associate Aadittya J. Kansakar is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Shirshak Ghimire; Aadittya J. Kansakar
‘They had a good understanding of how to work on an international project.’
‘Nepal is a very difficult forum for European companies. There are legal, cultural and other issues which justify resorting to the best players in the country. This team make things easier for foreigner to understand the intricacies of the country. We need assistance on litigation, commercial and corporate issues. Pradhan provide a full array of services.’
‘Shirshak Ghimire is available 24/7, always willing to help and the first port of call if you are facing an issue in Nepal. He thinks outside of the box to provide the most effective advice, is results oriented and has a good understanding and commercial acumen of foreign companies’ needs. Prashanna Shrestha is committed to resolving any issue and is very good with following up matters. Aaditya Kansakar is very clever with litigation arguments. A young professional with a very mature understanding of the legal system and the commercial acumen required by foreign companies established in Nepal.’
‘The firm was extremely prompt in providing advice on relatively complex areas of insurance regulation in Nepal.’
‘Excellent and responsive team. They are the top firm in Nepal.’
‘Devendra Pradhan and Shirshak Ghimire never let me down.’
‘Pradhan & Associates is one of the leading law firms in the Nepalese market and is able to meet expectations of international firms. They stand out from the crowd and are widely recognized as Nepal’s premier commercial law firm. The firm has set a standard for excellence in legal services in Nepal. We have referred them to several of our clients and have always been satisfied with the quality of their services.’
‘Devendra Pradhan is our key contact at the firm and has a strong reputation in the market. He offers a realistic perspective and a global outlook. Pradhan was quick to grasp deal specifics, understood Indian laws and was able to reconcile it to Nepal law. His recommendations are pragmatic and his firm has helped us achieve our objectives in Nepal at a reasonable cost.’
- Advising Doha Bank (based in Qatar) as a foreign lender on four separate cross-border institutional lending transactions to four domestic commercial banks in Nepal. Drafted Facility Agreements and other related documents.
- Advising CDB Aviation, a leading global aircraft operating lessor on restructuring aircraft lease agreements of four Airbus-320 aircraft leased to and operated by international airlines based in Nepal.
- Advising Haldiram Snacks, a well-known Indian conglomerate on various aspects of Nepali law and assisting in drafting relevant agreements and documents in connection with establishment and operation of a manufacturing industry in Nepal.
Sinha Verma Law Concern
Sinha Verma Law Concern is one of the more experienced law firms in Nepal. It advises both domestic and international clients and is well known for its corporate and tax work. Its mandates span a variety of industries including energy, manufacturing and aviation. Experienced managing partner Mahesh Kumar Thapa advises on corporate and tax matters and is well known for his work on major hydropower projects and expertise in litigation and arbitration. Rajeshwor Shrestha is a key partner, leading on matters involving corporate and commercial advice and litigation services.
Mahesh Kumar Thapa
Other key lawyers: