Leading firms in Nepal
At Neupane Law Associates, Anjan Neupane leads the firm's corporate and international business practice. Balkrishna Neupane heads up the commercial litigation team and has considerable experience of litigating in the Nepalese High Court and the Supreme Court. The firm's key strengths lie in M&A and banking work as well as project financing, dispute resolution and cross-border transactional work. Clients include leading multinational companies, private equity funds in addition to financial institutions and foreign governments. The group also has vast experience of working as local counsel to international law firms on various multi-jurisdictional matters.
Anjan Neupane; Balkrishna Neupane
‘The firm is good at litigation and arbitration’.
‘Anjan Neupane has always delivered work on time and has always provided sound advice to me and to my various clients‘.
The Body Shop
ASG Eye Hospital
China Development Bank
Digital Classifieds Group
Millennium Challenge Corporation
UN World Food Program
- Advised ABB on the local law aspects of the sale of its electricity business to Hitachi.
- Advised Marriott on the restructuring of its global trademark portfolio following its merger with Starwood.
- Advised The Body Shop on doing business in Nepal – work included reviewing its franchise agreement and due diligence on a sub-franchisee.
- Advised China Export Import Bank and Sinosure on the potential financing of a hydropower plant in Nepal.
- Advised ICICI Bank on the establishment of a representative office in Nepal.
Devendra Pradhan, who is a dual-qualified lawyer, is recommended at Pradhan & Associates for his experience in complex cross-border corporate transactions in particular. The team is also well-regarded for its expertise in commercial litigation and arbitration matters as well as for its work on banking and finance deals and infrastructure projects. Clients include international companies that operate in the aviation, technology, media and telecommunications sectors. The team also acts for a broad range of clients in the automotive and hospitality arenas. Senior associate Shirshak Ghimire is another key member of the team that is skilled at handling complex cross-border deals. It also receives a steady flow of work from major international law firms.
Other key lawyers:
Shirshak Ghimire; Aadittya Kansakar; Sambidha Sharma
‘The team works well together and has very good commercial acumen. The very experienced lawyers are hardworking and their advice is spot-on. The lawyers are very available and keep an eye on fees‘.
‘The team understands the needs of foreign investors and is able to bridge the gap between the local practices and international standards‘.
‘Devendra Pradhan is astute and provides practical solutions to matters‘.
‘Shirshak Ghimire is very good at managing teams and managing different matters at the same time; always available; very good understanding and knowledge of legal issues and has good commercial acumen‘.
‘Aadittya Kansakar is a hardworking professional who is very efficient and is always available. He has a good knowledge of legal issues‘.
‘Sambidha Sharma has commercial acumen, is efficient and hardworking and has a very professional approach‘.
- Advised a Chinese company on the cross-border acquisition of a 90% equity interest in a major hydroelectricity project.
- Advised a Korean company on its potential role as a sponsor and as an operations & maintenance service provider of a hydroelectricity project with a capacity of 350 MW.
- Advising a Chinese company on its cross-border acquisition of an 85% equity in and development of a large hydropower project.
- Advising a multi-national Canadian company on its acquisition of three solar projects.
- Advising a Chinese bank on its cross-border lending to a Nepali cement manufacturing company.
has 'highly respected practitioners' such as Rajeshwor Shrestha and 'legal role model' Mahesh Kumar Thapa. Thapa is noted for his capabilities in commercial contract negotiation and project financing in addition to having considerable strength in litigation. Shrestha is an able commercial lawyer who holds a notary public license for the translation of documents from Nepali to English and vice versa. The firm handles a steady stream of M&A, projects and IP work. It also routinely advises on tax, inbound investment matters as well as on banking and finance issues. Clients include local and international companies as well as regulatory bodies and some international donor agencies.
Mahesh Kumar Thapa; Rajeshwor Shrestha; Krishna Prasad Pokharel; Narayan Nepal; Suraj Shrestha;Santosh Mahato
‘The team is dynamic, versatile and capable’.
‘The team provides strong legal advisory services and guides us properly so that we remain in line with current regulation. The team has really helped us lower our risk level from a commercial point of view‘.
‘Rajeshwor Shrestha is highly up-to-date with respect to the prevailing commercial legislation‘.
‘The professionals are true to their word and deliver beyond what they promise‘.
‘Mahesh Thapa maintains the highest level of professional values and his integrity in dealing with the client’s information is immaculate; his preparation for the case comes second to none. The client’s interest is his interest and he is willing to burn the midnight oil to deliver on his promises‘.
Asian Paints Nepal Pvt. Ltd.
Berger, Johnson & Nicholson(Nepal) Pvt. Ltd
Bottlers Nepal Pvt. Ltd (Coca-Cola)
Buddha Air Pvt. Ltd
Chitwan Medical College Pvt. Ltd
Dabur Nepal Pvt. Ltd
Ncell Pvt. Ltd.
Arniko Cement Industries Pvt. Ltd
Smart Telecom Pvt. Ltd
Surya Nepal Pvt. Ltd
Cotiviti Technologies Pvt. Ltd
- Provides legal advice on all applicable laws and relevant legal services to Qatar Airlines- such advice includes advising on statutory compliance, on the drafting and the review of contracts and on obtaining approvals from government authorities.
- Advises Asian Paints Nepal on a broad range of matters.
- Provides tax litigation services and corporate legal advice to Dabur Nepal.
- Advises Berger Johnson & Nicholson on various corporate and taxation matters.
- Advises Chitwan Medical College on various issues such as on corporate litigation matters.