Couto, Graça e Associados Limitada (CGA) has a well-established and prestigious client base in the energy sector and advises across a wide range of practice areas, excelling in particular in corporate law and litigation. The team has recently handed a number of transactions in the energy and banking sectors. Head of the firm's energy, natural resources and infrastructure group Pedro Couto has over 25 years' experience advising public and private entities in the region, while Telmo Ferreira is the key contact for corporate, tax and capital markets. Álvaro Pinto Basto is the name to note for litigation.
Local law firms in Mozambique
Other key lawyers:
Pedro Couto; Telmo Ferreira; Álvaro Pinto Basto
International clients from a broad range of key industries in Mozambique look to SAL & Caldeira Advogados, Lda. for advice on matters in the country. Managing partner Eduardo Alberto Calú is a tax expert working with leading players in the oil and gas and mining sectors, while José Manuel Caldeira covers various areas including banking, and also advises government bodies. A standout feature of the firm is its practice dedicated to immigration, headed by Soraia Calu Issufo. Other key contacts include Samuel Levy in energy and public law matters, Gimina Luís Mahumana Langa in employment, and natural resources group head Leopoldo Orlando de Amaral.
Eduardo Alberto Calú
Other key lawyers:
José Manuel Caldeira; Soraia Calu Issufo; Samuel Levy; Gimina Luís Mahumana Langa; Leopoldo Orlando de Amaral
Twigg Resources and Trading DMCC
First Capital Bank
The team at TTA – Sociedade de Advogados continues to advise on significant deals in the food and oil and gas sectors, among others. Dispute resolution and public law are strengths of managing partner Tomás Timbane and, from a deep pool of non-partner lawyers, Natércia Sitoé and Pascoal Bié stand out for their respective expertise in commercial law and disputes. Leading Portuguese firm PLMJ often adds support from its Mozambique desk.
Other key lawyers:
Natércia Sitoé; Pascoal Bié
‘Very good team. Motivated and inspired.’
‘They work professionally, focused on the client needs. They work closely with the client, until the intended result is reached.’
‘1. Professionalism; 2. Commitment; 3. High level service; 4. Results oriented team; 5. Profound knowledge and skills; 6. Customer care and relationship.‘
‘Listening and paying attention to the client needs.’
‘It is a multidisciplinary team dealing with complexity of issues from corporate matters to land user rights.’
‘The team are usually available to assist even during the weekend, which makes a difference with the competitors I know.’
Multichoice Africa Holdings B.V.
Auto Sueco Moçambique
BCI – Banco Comercial de Investimentos S.A.
FNB – First National Bank
BIM – Banco Internacional de Moçambique
Port Consultants Rotterdam
CFM – Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (The Ports and Railways Company of Mozambique)
Instituto Nacional de Investigação Pesqueira (National Institute of Fishery Research)
Chikweti of Niassa, SARL
- Advised INIP with the preparation of the regulatory legal framework for the development of commercial aquaculture in the Chókwè Irrigation Area.
- Assisting BCI on several matters, including business expansion, corporate law, foreign investment and others.
- Advising Port Consultants Rotterdam in creating and developing a project financed by the Dutch Government to build a social housing complex and port and industrial area in the city of Beira.
Avillez, Bacar, Centeio & Cambule, Sociedade de Advogados (ABCC)
Avillez, Bacar, Centeio & Cambule, Sociedade de Advogados (ABCC) is frequently sought out by international firms to act as local counsel, and the team is also instructed by domestic and international companies across a variety of sectors. Founding partner Francisco Avillez is a go-to contact for foreign investors in Mozambique; Oldivanda Bacar is the name to note for banking and finance deals; and Gil Cambule leads on litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Oldivanda Bacar; Gil Cambule; Álvaro Duarte
‘Francisco Avillez, Alvaro Duarte, Olivanda Bacar – we appreciate that we receive same day responses to queries and that they always make an effort to avail themselves for calls.’
‘Very responsive. Good quality of advice and generally all round good service to our clients.’
‘Francisco Avillez is responsive and well known in the market. An excellent lawyer. Oldivanda Bacar is responsive and efficient. Gil Cambule is a good lawyer for litigation and arbitration advice.’
‘It is relatively easy to find people who master local law knowledge, less easy to find people who master choosing the moment to pressure, but very rare to find people who also have been around in the country long enough at senior level to know many of the individuals and their personalities. Of all the lawyers that I know in Mozambique, Francisco Avillez of ABCC is one of the very few who I know can help me with all of these requirements.’
City Lodge Hotel Group
University of California (Global Programs
World Education International
IPL (former Instar Logistics)
Sirius Energy Solutions
Companhia do Sena
BT PLC Mozambique
- Advising lenders on negotiations with the Mozambican Government regarding railway and port concessions to Vale and international investment on the concession.
- Assisting AgDevCo on the $2m financing for the Citrum banana plantation project.
- Assisting DHL on legal issues in Mozambique, namely corporate, labour and litigation matters.
GdA Advogados advises on a wide range of matters and is particularly focused on the energy, infrastructure, telecoms and finance sectors. Renewable energy projects and large real estate transactions were among the highlights in 2020 for founding partner Guilherme Daniel and his team, who integrate with Portuguese heavyweight VdA to co-ordinate assistance to major banking clients and energy companies, among others. Senior associate Gonçalo Barros Cardoso is noted for finance and commercial matters.
Other key lawyers:
Gonçalo Barros Cardoso
Total E&P Mozambique Area 1, Limitada
CJ ICM Logistics
MozQuarries, Lda (MQL)
Lloyds Register Mozambique
- Advising Total on Mozambican law matters in connection with the structuring and negotiation of the project finance for the Mozambique LNG Project for Offshore Area 1 of the Rovuma Basin.
- Assisting Agility on the construction of a logistics park.
- Acting for MQL on an ongoing negotiatiion with the Mozambican subsidiary of a foreign-based construction company to jointly supply quarry products by barge to a location in the north of Mozambique through a consortium arrangement.
Multinational companies and international law firms without a presence in Mozambique are frequent clients of HRA Advogados, a firm with a broad offering and strong experience in business law. Founding partners Fabrícia de Almeida Henriques assists clients in corporate and commercial matters, and Paula Duarte Rocha has a strong track record in banking and project finance. Tiago Arouca Mendes was appointed managing partner in July 2021.
Fabrícia de Almeida Henriques; Paula Duarte Rocha
Other key lawyers:
Tiago Arouca Mendes
Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy of Mozambique
USAID and Tetratech Ard
French Development Agency
- Advising the Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy of Mozambique (MIREME) in connection with the selection of a partner from the private sector for the development of the Mphanda Nkuwa Hydro Power Plant.
- Acting for BIM in the sale of a majority stake in SIM to Fidelidade – Companhia de Seguros.
- Advising the Ministry of Land and Environment and the French Development Agency in regard to a facility proposal for the implementation of sustainable waste management in Mozambique.
Founded in 2017, Lei & Associados assists in the establishment of companies in Mozambique; the promotion and establishment of PPP projects; and tax advice for a range of local and multinational companies. The firm has a particularly notable base of Chinese clients, reflecting the country's increased interest in investing in Mozambique, with founder and director Lei Yang a key contact for clients including construction company Sinohydro. His expertise in corporate commercial law, investment and the mining industry is supported by Alcides Nobela's strength in tax and public finance matters.
Lei Yang; Alcides Nobela
‘Lei Yang and his colleagues have high professional ethics, enthusiastic work attitude, and strictly follow the spirit of legal justice in handling with cases. They are professional, skilled, fast, convenient, full of strength and vitality.‘
‘They are undoubtedly specialized in providing excellent services in our company’s area, as we have been continuously received their thoughtful suggestions, dynamic news, reliable information as well as other info that is relevant to our business.‘
‘The individual I work with is Lei Yang, who is absolutely the most marvelous lawyer I have ever worked with, because he is extremely proficient in his area with a law dictionary memory and specialization, with him you can throw away your law books.‘
‘When you work with them you feel that there is a quality communication between managers and staff. The services are delivered on time with the necessary quality.‘
‘Through the professional services provided by Lei Yang and his team, we have a clear understanding of Mozambican law. Our communication with local parties is facilitated. Lei & Associados has become a favorable assistant for our investment and development in Mozambique.‘
‘The combination of elder experience and younger energy has not only the ability to work but also the enthusiasm and vitality for work.‘
‘I think they have a good knowledge of the local laws and they have enough patience to answer and solve our questions.‘
Joyo Comércio e Industrial
Sino-Hydro Henan Mz Trading
Africa Great Wall Mining Company
Aris Corretores de Seguros
Fábrica de Cimentos de Cabo Delgado
Sino-Moz Parque Industrial
- Assisted an IPP project in the energy sector on the Mozambique legal framework of IPP proceedings.
- Acting for a mining company on transaction architecture, negotiation and transmission of three licences of mineral concessions of heavy sand.
- Representing a client in a dispute with a transport company following a fatal accident.
Foreign investment into Mozambique is the focus of HPF Advogados - AVM Legal Network Member, which advises on regulatory requirements, tax structuring and cross-border funding, among other matters. New clients in the logistics sector were among those to instruct Hélder Paulo Frechaut and his team in 2020. Gisela Teresa Chunguane is a standout lawyer at the senior associate level.
Hélder Paulo Frechaut
Other key lawyers:
Gisela Teresa Chunguane; Sandro Polónio de Matos
‘This practice provides an outstanding service and legal advice to its customers.’
‘Hélder, Sandro and the team are professionals who are willing to go the extra mile to help their customers. The are always responsive, available and polite in communication and outstanding on the advice and service they provide. Throughout our collaboration we never had any issues or unresolved matters. They are fantastic and we are looking forward to continue our successful cooperation. Our relationship is built on mutual trust and understanding.‘
CB&I /CCS via ENS
CPAD Brasil/CPAD Miami
Mount Garden FZE
Petroserve Shipping Mozambique
Cicoti, Lda. (Imperial Group)
- Advising CB&I on corporate law and licensing issues, among other matters.
- Assisting CPAD Brazil/CPAD Miami on the local incorporation of a branch, and in connection with several matters such as corporate, commercial, labour and tax.
- Assisting Fircroft on all legal requirements towards its incorporation in Mozambique, including setting up a branch.
JLA ADVOGADOS' managing partner Zara Jamal works closely with the Mozambique desk at Portuguese firm Abreu Advogados to assist a client base that includes major international banks and financial institutions. Jamal stands out for her expertise in business establishment in the region, and the team also supports its clients in contentious matters.
Chinese Development Bank
AFDB – African Development Bank
IDC – Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa
- Acting for Anadarko/Total on the financing and development of the Area 1 LNG project in Mozambique.
- Assisting Portucel Mozambique on all matters relating to its forestry project for the production of wood for paper pulp and energy in Manice Province.
Pimenta e Associados
Pimenta e Associados demonstrates expertise in mining and oil and gas projects in Mozambique, forming Miranda Alliance Mozambique with its associated Portuguese firm Miranda & Associados. The firm's managing partner Paulo Pimenta is focused on corporate and tax matters, while António Veloso is the name to note for disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation and Anadarko Exploration and Production Moçambique Area 1
- Acting for Total Exploration and Production Moçambique Area 1, Limitada on a variety of matters connected to its proposed LNG project.
- Assisting Anadarko Petroleum and Anadarko Exploration and Production Moçambique Area 1 on its merger with Occidental Petroleum and subsequent sale of Mozambican assets to Total.
- Representing LAM in a tax dispute against the Mozambican tax authorities.