Local law firms in Mozambique
The 'highly competent and dedicated' team at Couto, Graça e Associados Limitada (CGA) stands out for its expertise in the energy sector - covering oil, gas, renewables and power - and is also well versed in the infrastructure and natural resources industries. Chairman Pedro Couto draws on over 25 years of advising public and private companies in large-scale projects; managing partner Telmo Ferreira heads the corporate, tax and capital markets groups; and Alvaro Pinto Basto leads the litigation department. The firm collaborates with Cuatrecasas.
‘The team is comprised of Mozambican lawyers with a good grasp of the local context. Accessible individuals who make themselves available when required.‘
‘The CGA team is made up of responsible and capable individuals who take their work seriously. They are committed to doing a great job, helping their clients and solving their problems on a legal basis.‘
‘Highly competent and dedicated.‘
‘They are a very cohesive team and their professionalism and knowledge in all legal matters is excellent.‘
‘Telmo Ferreira is a seasoned corporate lawyer and Pedro Couto is a very accessible and well-rounded lawyer and partner.‘
‘Alvaro Basto is one of the best litigation lawyers I have come across: extremely principled and committed.‘
Highly regarded firm SAL & Caldeira Advogados, Lda. fields a sizeable team that covers all areas of business law. The firm counts household name petroleum and mining companies, foreign investors, international banks and NGOs among its clients, and benefits from being a member of the DLA Piper Africa network. It stands out for having a standalone immigration practice; Soraia Calu Issufo is a name to note in that area. In internal developments, Gimina Mahumana Langa was promoted to partner in 2019. Eduardo Alberto Calú is the managing partner. Samuel Levy, José Manuel Caldeira and Leopoldo Orlando de Amaral are also key contacts.
Twigg Resources and Trading DMCC
First Capital Bank
TTA – Sociedade de Advogados maintains a busy practice and had another successful year in 2019, continuing to work with major international companies and also picking up several new clients. The team is led by managing partner Tomás Timbane, who specialises in litigation and international arbitration, and also advises on PPPs. Key associates include Natércia Sitoé and Pascoal Bié. PLMJ is the firm's international partner.
‘Tomas Timbane is well regarded and well connected in Mozambique.‘
‘Pascoal Bié is an impressive associate.‘
Auto Sueco Moçambique
BCI – Banco Comercial de Investimentos S.A.
FNB – First National Bank
BIM – Banco Internacional de Moçambique
CFM – Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (The Ports and Railways Company of Mozambique)
Instituto Nacional de Investigação Pesqueira (National Institute of Fishery Research)
- Assisting Multichoice with its public-private partnership with Televisão de Moçambique.
- Advising Auto Sueco Moçambique on its operations in Mozambique in several areas of legal expertise, including corporate, employment, commercial contracts, tax and foreign investment.
- Assisting FNB – First National Bank in restructuring the debt and finance of Bayport Financial Services Mozambique.
Avillez, Bacar, Centeio & Cambule, Sociedade de Advogados (ABCC)
The sizeable team at Avillez, Bacar, Centeio & Cambule, Sociedade de Advogados (ABCC) is a popular choice for international companies in various sectors and for foreign law firms; alongside ongoing work with longstanding clients, the firm also picked up several new clients in the financial services, tech and non-profit sectors, among others. Managing partner Francisco Avillez and Oldivanda Bacar jointly head the finance, investment and energy department.
‘We rely on Avillez on several deals in Mozambique and appreciate their longstanding presence in the market.‘
‘We like working with Oldivanda Bacar given her availability and specific sector knowledge.‘
City Lodge Hotel Group
University of California (Global Programs)
- Advising the lenders on negotiations with the Mozambican Government regarding railway and port concession to Vale.
- Advising a bank on developing centralised templates in respect of all banking and finance documents for use by a local subsidiary.
- Advised a client on its privacy and data protection policy and assisted in labour matters.
Henriques, Rocha & Associados has a broad offering, covering banking and finance, corporate and M&A, projects and infrastructure, foreign investment and dispute resolution. Founding partners Fabrícia de Almeida Henriques and Paula Duarte Rocha and associate Tiago Arouca Mendes are the names to note at the firm, which is associated with Portuguese firm Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados.
‘HRA not only provided the legal services needed, but also acted as a general advisor and business enabler. Their experience in supporting us in an unknown and complex market was unique, and they provided all the know-how needed.‘
‘Fabrícia de Almeida Henriques was critical in managing and overcoming all the problems, due to her strong relationships,technical skills and drive to find solutions.‘
‘Tiago Arouca Mendes was very relevant to the project, always bringing objectivity to very subjective issues.‘
INTERNATIONAL TRADE CENTER GROUP
Bison Technology Private Limited
- Assisting various companies in winding up and liquidation processes, drafting the supporting documentation, promoting the necessary registrations with the local entities and the mandatory publications.
- Assisting INTERNATIONAL TRADE CENTER GROUP with the draft of an investment guide for Mozambique.
- Advising a bidder in the auction process for the purchase of Seguradoras Unidas and AdvanceCare.
Guilherme Daniel & Associados (GdA)
Guilherme Daniel & Associados (GdA) maintains a focus on the energy, oil and gas, infrastructure and telecoms sectors, and has recently handled the financing aspects of major projects taking place in the country. Guilherme Daniel and senior associate Gonçalo Barros Cardoso are the key contacts. The firm is associated with leading Portuguese firm VdA.
‘Guilherme Daniel is always available and willing to take on the most sensitive work.‘
‘Gonçalo Barros Cardoso is very knowledgeable.‘
National Aviation Services (NAS)
CJ ICM Logistics
Modus Global | SMax
Santa Carolina S.A
- Advising Agility on Mozambican law matters and on the construction of a logistics park.
- Advised National Aviation Services on a joint venture with LAM.
- Advised Modus Digital on its digital platform for financial and non-financial payment services under the label Wari in Mozambique.
At HPF Advogados - AVM Legal Network Member, managing partner Hélder Paulo Frechaut advises across a broad spectrum of legal areas, including corporate, commercial, banking, foreign investment and employment. Gisela Teresa Chunguane is a key contact at the senior associate level.
‘The team is very helpful and capable. They will always take the extra step in order to assist you.‘
‘Hélder Paulo Frechaut is professional and highly regarded by our company.‘
CB&I /CCS via ENS
CPAD Brasil/CPAD Miami
Mount Garden FZE
Petroserve Shipping Mozambique
Cicoti, Lda. (Imperial Group)
- Advising a major contractor and services provider on corporate and licensing matters.
- Assisting a client with the local incorporation of a branch and with several corporate, commercial, labour and tax matters.
- Advised Hoti Hoteis on the installation of the Meliá Maputo Sky, a hotel which opened in September 2018.
Major international banks and corporates turn to JLA ADVOGADOS, which is associated with Portuguese firm Abreu Advogados, for advice on corporate, commercial, finance and regulatory matters, and the team is also equipped to represent clients in disputes. Zara Jamal is the practice head.
Chinese Development Bank
AFDB – African Development Bank
IDC – Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa
- Advised Limak Group on the establishment and development of a cement plant in Mozambique.
- Advised Turkish Airlines on employment, emigration and corporate matters related with the daily activity of its Mozambican subsidiary.
- Advised Chinese Development Bank on the financing of a Mozambican banking institution for subsequent on-loan to Mozambican SMEs operating in various sectors.