Foreign law firms in Mozambique
The highly regarded Mozambique-focused team at Linklaters LLP comprises lawyers from numerous offices, particularly London and Lisbon. In a major solar project, Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho and a team continued to advise the sponsors on the development of a 30MW solar photovoltaic plant in the Cabo Delgado province, to be project financed by Agence Française de Développement. Andrew Jones is the head of the firm's Africa group.
Andrew Jones; Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho
‘The team was thorough in its consideration of issues, understood the issues well and are well experienced in dealing with infrastructure financing.‘
‘The firm has strong relationships with local legal practitioners, which helps them provide international levels of services with sufficient local understanding.‘
‘Laura Vicente is a professional and very competent lawyer.‘
‘Francisco Carvalho is thorough and always willing to listen to alternative views.‘
‘Edgar Monterio has a good grasp of issues and ably isolated issues which needed to be dealt with.‘
‘Diogo Plantier Santos is extremely flexible and available, often at very short notice. He managed to consistently help find solutions in a complex environment.‘
- Advising the sponsors on the development of a 30MW solar photovoltaic plant (Central Solar de Metoro) in the Cabo Delgado province.
- Acted for the lenders (Mizuho Bank, AfDB, ECIC, JBIC and NEXI) on the largest ever successful project financing of infrastructure development in Sub-Saharan Africa: the Nacala Corridor Rail and Port project in Mozambique and Malawi.
- Advising Eni, ExxonMobil and its co-venturers on all aspects of the development of the Rovuma LNG onshore project in Mozambique.
The 'very amicable and accessible' team at PLMJ maintains a full-service practice and has recently been particularly active in corporate and M&A and litigation. The Mozambique desk comprises lawyers in the Lisbon, Faro and Porto offices, and works in close cooperation with local firm TTA – Sociedade de Advogados. Miguel Spínola heads the practice, which includes banking and capital markets expert Gonçalo dos Reis Martins and managing associates Marta Pedro and Nuno Morgado Pereira.
‘Very amicable and accessible.‘
‘Has very good experience in the sector and in the country.‘
‘Gonçalo dos Reis Martins is accessible, able and professional.‘
Auto Sueco Moçambique
FNB – First National Bank
- Assisting Multichoice with its public-private partnership with Televisão de Moçambique.
- Advised Standard Bank on the issue of corporate bonds by Vodacom Mozambique.
- Assisting Siemens Africa in several matters in areas including employment and labour law, corporate and commercial law and foreign investment.
Leading Portuguese firm VdA works in partnership with Maputo-based firm Guilherme Daniel & Associados (GdA). Sector specialisms include energy, oil and gas, infrastructure, logistics and real estate. Magda Cocco leads the firm's information, communication and technology practice and advises on data protection, cybersecurity and space-related projects; Pedro Cassiano Santos heads the banking and finance practice; and Teresa Empis Falcão is a name to note for infrastructure and projects.
Teresa Empis Falcão
‘Very good knowledge of local market, laws and regulations.‘
‘Excellent turnaround time.‘
Modus Global | SMax
- Advised Modus Digital on a digital platform for financial and non-financial payment services under the label Wari in Mozambique.
- Advising Agility on Mozambique law matters and on the construction of a logistics park.
- Advised Aujan on the sale of four office floors in the Rani Tower.
The 'proactive' Lusophone team at Clifford Chance LLP 'has significant experience in international transactions'. The team is particularly renowned in energy and power projects, with recent highlights including its advice to the sponsors on a proposed investment in a 400MW gas-fired power project located in Temane, in the province of Inhambane; the project will supply low-cost, reliable power to publicly owned electricity company EDM. Pieter Van Welzen in Amsterdam is the name to note.
Pieter Van Welzen
‘Clifford Chance combines resources, know-how and capacity as a global firm with direct knowledge of the market reality.‘
‘Clifford Chance is one of the most well-known legal firms and has significant experience in international transactions.‘
‘The teams are versatile and have complete dominance on the relevant matters.‘
‘They are proactive and focus on the clients’ needs.‘
- Advising the sponsors in relation to a proposed investment in a 400MW gas-fired power project.
- Advising the sponsors on the development and financing of a 100MW gas-fired plant in Chokwé district in Gaza province.
FCB Sociedade de Advogados has a sizeable team of lawyers in Portugal, which work in partnership with colleagues in associated local firm AG Advogados. The firm is active in the energy industry, and also works with clients in the aviation, tech and financial services sectors, among others. João Couceiro coordinates the Mozambique desk and specialises in banking, capital markets and private equity.
‘A very good commercial team with good understanding of Mozambique law.‘
‘João Couceiro provides an excellent service.‘
Bureau Veritas Moçambique
Capital Star Steel
The multidisciplinary Africa team at Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados works in close cooperation with associated firm Henriques, Rocha & Associados in Maputo. Managing partner Nuno Galvão Teles heads the energy team, of which Catarina Brito Ferreira is a key member. Rita Ferreira Vicente specialises in real estate. The team was further strengthened by the arrival of André de Sousa Vieira from Clifford Chance LLP in 2020.
Eduardo Verde Pinho; Luís Gagliardini Graça
- Advised Trans African Concessions on a model contract to be used in Mozambique for the construction and operation of petrol filling stations.
- Advising potential buyers and mining investors in respect of prospection and research licenses.
- Advised Africa Agricultural Development Company on corporate group restructuring, investments in Mozambique and various shareholder loans.
The busy, Mozambique-focused practice at Raposo Bernardo is led by the highly regarded Joana Andrade Correia. It is noted for its 'high legal and ethical standards' and 'almost unrivalled expertise in the country’s key sectors'. Its recent work spans the aviation, energy, real estate and logistics industries, among others, and clients include a number of major banks and financial institutions.
Joana Andrade Correia
‘There is no other law firm like Raposo Bernardo. Its local expertise and longstanding representation of international clients and investors is undeniable, and allows it to provide confident and value-adding advice.‘
‘Raposo Bernardo always maintains a strong focus on the client communication and we feel that every day. The firm should be proud of its high legal and ethical standards of excellence.‘
‘Raposo Bernardo’s Mozambique team has almost unrivalled expertise in the country’s key sectors, including the oil and gas, natural resources and metals industries.‘
‘Joana Andrade Correia is one of the best lawyers I know. There is no other like her.‘
- Provides legal advice to a prominent fund for Africa development.
- Advises a bank on finance operations regarding large public equipment and energy projects in Mozambique.
- Assisting a bank with public procurement operations at Mozambique.
Abreu Advogados is a popular choice for banks and financial institutions doing business in Mozambique; outside of the financial services space, the team advises clients in the shipping, aviation, infrastructure and natural resources sectors. José Maria Corrêa de Sampaio specialises in M&A and projects, while Pedro Pais de Almeida advises on corporate, M&A and tax.
José Maria Corrêa de Sampaio; Pedro Pais de Almeida
Chinese Development Bank
AFDB – African Development Bank
IDC – Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa
- Advised Limak Group on the establishment and development of a cement plant in Mozambique and ongoing matters related with corporate, regulatory, labour, contract law, and real estate law.
- Advised Turkish Airlines on employment, emigration and corporate matters related with the daily activity of the Mozambican subsidiary.
- Advised Chinese Development Bank on the financing of a banking institution in Mozambique.
At AVM, Lisbon-based partner Sandro Polónio de Matos maintains a broad practice that spans banking, insurance, insolvency, employment and litigation, among other areas. Senior associate Tiago Pereira Monteiro is another key contact for Mozambique-related work. HPF Advogados - AVM Legal Network Member is the local partner.
Sandro Polónio de Matos
‘The team is very professional, responsive, efficient and knowledgeable.‘
‘We have full confidence in the advice given; the way it is presented is always of the highest level and clear.‘
Aecom Africa Mozambique, Limitada and Aecom Moçambique, limitada
CICOTI, Lda. (Imperial Group)
CPAD Brasil | CPAD Miami
Edward Nathan Sonnenbergs Inc. – CB&I and CCS Mozambique
Gebomsa Moçambique- Serviços de Bombagem, Lda.
General de Bombeo de Hormigón, S.L.U.
Nokia Solutions and Networks Branch Operations Mozambique
Puma Energy Mozambique
Riverland Holdings Ltd.
- Advises Aecom Africa Mozambique on a range of corporate, licensing and employment matters.
- Advising CICOTI (Imperial Group) on all legal requirements in the restructuring of its shareholding structure.
- Advising CPAD Brasil on the local incorporation of the company.
Cuatrecasas advises Iberian and international companies on their establishment, incorporation and operations in Africa, including Mozambique. Its experience in the country spans M&A, litigation, banking and finance, energy projects and real estate projects. Senior associate Samantha Cyrne is the name to note.
Keymore Engineering and Consulting, BV
Strongeagle Mozambique Fund
ThirdWay Africa Capital Limited
Petrogal Moçambique, Limitada
Gorongosa Restoration Inc.
Merec Industries, SA
International Finance Corporation
BIM – Banco Internacional de Moçambique, S.A. (International Bank of Mozambique)
- Advising ThirdWay Africa Capital on projects carried out in Mozambique, mainly regarding the development of a stone quarry and logistics projects.
- Advised Veolia on its implementation in Mozambique and on its hazardous and non-hazardous waste treatment activities.
- Advising International Finance Corporation and the OPEC Fund for International Development on the financing of an aluminium project in Mozambique.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
Miguel Castro Pereira heads the multidisciplinary Mozambique-focused team at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo, which includes lawyers focused on foreign investment, M&A, public law, projects, tax and arbitration. Of counsel Paulo Nogueira da Rocha specialises in public law and dispute resolution.
Miguel Castro Pereira
‘This office combines the legal arguments with the technical details of each situation.‘
‘I’ve really enjoyed worked with Paulo Nogueira da Rocha. He is a very organised and focused person, often bringing new contributions and pointing ways to move forward.‘
Elevo Group Mozambique
- Advised OPEX on the presentation of a programme for the development of the local securities market.
- Advised Eaglestone on the incorporation of a securities broker and an asset-management company.
- Advising Maecas on a dispute with the Millennium Challenge Corporation.
Mayer Brown fields a team of Rio de Janeiro, London and Houston-based lawyers to advise on deals and projects in Mozambique. The team is particularly active in highly regulated sectors, including power, oil and gas and infrastructure. Corporate and M&A and tax experts Paulo Rage and Gonçalo Falcão are names to note.
Paulo Rage; Gonçalo Falcão
Miranda & Associados
Shearman & Sterling LLP stands out for its extensive expertise in the power sector and has an impressive track record advising on major power projects in Mozambique and elsewhere on the African continent. Iain Elder heads the Africa strategy group from London, and Anthony Patten heads the firm's global oil and gas group from Singapore.
- Advised Mozambique LNG as the marketer of long term LNG to several customers ahead of its final investment decision in June 2019 on the Anadarko-led Area 1 Mozambique LNG project.
Noted for its 'incredible track record in the energy sector', Trinity International LLP operates in a number of African countries, including Mozambique, from its London office. Founding partner Simon Norris draws on over 20 years of experience advising on power projects in Africa. Senior partner Paul Biggs and energy and infrastructure expert Jennifer Gladstone are also names to note.
‘Trinity International has an extremely competent and great team to work with, and they have established an incredible track record in the energy sector.‘
‘I have been particularly impressed with the knowledge, ethics and work-rate of Simon Norris, Lucy Johnson and Nicolas Boittin.‘
CESOM Central Solar de Mocuba S.A.
Standard Bank of South Africa
- Advised the project company CESOM Central Solar de Mocuba in respect of the development and financing of a 40.5MW Solar photovoltaic project in Mocuba, Mozambique.
- Acted for Standard Bank of South Africa as lenders in the financing of the 100MW Gigawatt Gas IPP.