Frequent advisors on the country's leading deals, Linklaters' work in Mozambique is overseen by the head of its Lusophone Africa practice, Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho. The team has been advising on the nationally significant Rovuma LNG project as well as a solar photovoltaic power plant in Cabo Delgado. Outside of the energy sector, the firm has a strong client base of international banks and investors. London-based partner Andrew Jones is the head of the firm's Africa group and has experience in key infrastructure projects in Mozambique. Associate Laura Nunes Vicente has assisted on a variety of energy and infrastructure projects, coordinating work with local counsel.
Foreign law firms in Mozambique
Andrew Jones; Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho
Other key lawyers:
Diogo Santos; Laura Nunes Vicente
‘Linklaters LLP is a foreign firm that has a highly qualified team for the local market. It combines innovation with legal and practical knowledge and makes it a firm of excellence in structuring projects and other matters. I highlight Linklaters LLP for its innovation, excellence and integrity.’
‘I also highlight a solid knowledge and experience about local law and practice. I would like to highlight Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho for his leadership and experience in the Mozambican legal market, and Laura Vicente Nunes for her versatility and mastery of local law.’
‘Linklaters via their Lisbon office has people very well prepared and have a good knowledge of Mozambican jurisdiction and the legal system. Note that they have been involved for long time in Mozambique and assisted some of the biggest projects. Linklaters have the advantage of understanding the official language and the legal system through their Lisbon office.’
‘I would like to indicate Francisco Carvalho, Diogo Santos, Rui Camacho Palma and Laura Vicente who are very well prepared, have been working in the biggest projects in the country and also understand the language and the legal system.’
CNPC International Ltd
Korea Gas Corporation
Empresa Nacional De Hidrocarbonetos
African Development Bank
Export Credit Insurance Corporation of South Africa
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Nippon Export and Investment Insurance
- Advised Eni, ExxonMobil and its co-venturers on all aspects of the development of the Rovuma LNG project in Mozambique.
- Assisted Neoen on the development and financing of a 41MW solar photovoltaic power plant located in Cabo Delgado, Mozambique.
- Acted for the lenders on the largest ever successful project financing of an infrastructure development in Sub-Saharan Africa: the Nacala Corridor Rail and Port project in Mozambique and Malawi.
After a firm-wide restructuring of its services to African jurisdictions, Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados now fields a team for Lusophone Africa jointly headed by Claudia Santos Cruz in Lisbon and André de Sousa Vieira, who joined the Porto office in February 2020. Both have extensive experience in the region and Santos Cruz is qualified in Mozambique as well as the UK and Portugal. Aided by its partnership with local firm HRA Advogados, its recent highlights include major projects in infrastructure and energy as well as sovereign debt restructurings.
André de Sousa Vieira; Claudia Santos Cruz
Higest Moçambique, Limitada
Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A. (“Assicurazioni Generali”)
BIM – Banco Internacional de Moçambique, S.A. (“Millennium BIM”)
USAID and Tetratech Ard
S2 Mozambique, SA (Sonae and Satya joint venture)
- Acted for a private infrastructure development group in the financing for the construction and operation of a photovoltaic power plant in Mozambique.
- Advising an international infrastructure investment group in respect of the development of a dry port facility in Mozambique with 60 hectares within the Beluluani Industrial Park.
- Acted for an oil and gas minefield services provider in structuring its operations and transactions relating to the provision of certain services related to the Anadarko Offshore Area 1 LNG Project.
'Detail oriented' with a 'good grasp of the local laws and regulations', PLMJ provides a multi-disciplinary service to a diverse client base of international and domestic companies in Mozambique. Corporate and M&A expert Miguel Spínola heads the Mozambique desk, for which banking and finance has been a recent focus, Gonçalo dos Reis Martins being the key contact in that discipline for clients including BCI, ABSA and Standard Bank Moçambique. Managing associate Marta Pedro has strong experience in the country's corporate, real estate and construction markets, and associate Neylla Gulamhussen also receives praise.
Other key lawyers:
Gonçalo dos Reis Martins; Marta Pedro; Neylla Gulamhussen
‘Their responsiveness, courteous professionalism, attention to detail and the confidence they exude on the subject-matters they are required to advise on.’
‘Miguel Spinola is exceptional. He anticipates all aspects of an enquiry, consequently his legal advice is very detailed and of immense practical value.‘
‘The firm is detailed oriented in the legal advice, the quality of their work is outstanding, they are quick to act, available on short notice, well versed and have a good grasp of the local laws and regulations in Mozambique. We can always count on them to do thorough job on any legal issues that we instruct them on. PLMJ is a reliable firm to work with.’
‘Neylla Gulamhussen is reliable, with good grasp of the laws and the regulations, quick turnaround on legal matters, she is always available. The legal advice she gives is clear, concise and well researched. The quality of her work is outstanding. We can always count on her when we have a legal issue in Mozambique.‘
‘PLMJ team has demonstrated their capability to advice our company as well as our subsidiary on various legal matters. PLMJ Team response has been so far timely and with clarity of legal understanding.’
‘Individuals of PLMJ I have interacted with in Mozambique were always cooperative, willing to listen to other perspectives and adopted positive problem solving attitude for the job.’
Multichoice Africa Holdings B.V.
Auto Sueco Moçambique
FNB – First National Bank
BCI – Banco Comercial e de Investimentos, S.A.
International Capital Markets (ICM)
China Machinery Engineering Coporation
Mybucks Bank Mozambique, S.A.
Standard Bank Moçambique
Sumol + Compal Moçambique, SA
- Advising Multichoice on its public-private partnership with Televisão de Moçambique.
- Acting for Siemens Africa on several matters in areas including employment and labour law, corporate and commercial law and foreign investment.
- Assisting ABSA on an $80m term loan facility to MPDC – Sociedade de Desenvolvimento do Porto de Maputo, for the construction and rehabilitation of Berth 6, 7 and 8 at the Port of Maputo.
Portuguese-based VdA works in tandem with local firm GdA Advogados to serve a range of clients across the key industries in Mozambique, including oil and gas, energy, banking, real estate and infrastructure. Its Mozambique offering is spearheaded by a trio of lawyers: João Afonso Fialho has experience in oil and gas projects across Portuguese and French-speaking Africa; Teresa Empis Falcão specialises in national and international project finance and capital markets; and Tiago Marreiros Moreira is a key contact for tax and corporate advisory matters. Samuel Fernandes de Almeida and Vanda Cascão are also active members of the team, as is José Miguel Oliveira, who was promoted to partner in 2021.
Tiago Marreiros Moreira; Teresa Empis Falcão; João Afonso Fialho
Other key lawyers:
Samuel Fernandes de Almeida; Vanda Cascão; José Miguel Oliveira
Total E&P Mozambique Area 1, Limitada
Portucel Moçambique Sociedade de Desenvolvimento Florestal e Industrial, Lda. (Portucel Moçambique)
- Advising Total on Mozambican law matters in connection with the structuring and negotiation of the project finance for the Mozambique LNG Project for Offshore Area 1 of the Rovuma Basin.
- Assisting Agility on the construction of a logistics park.
- Representing Portucel Moçambique in a dispute initiated concerning a major forestry project.
An international team makes up the Lusophone Africa group at Clifford Chance LLP, which has a 'vast body of previous transactions to inform advice provided to clients'. Acting on inbound deals for a variety of clients, the group has recently had a particular focus on the renewable energy sector. Jeremy Connick in the firm's London office is the key contact; he specialises in advising sponsors and lenders on energy, natural resources and infrastructure transactions. Senior associate Jan Burger in Paris is also regularly involved in deals involving Mozambique.
Jeremy Connick; Jan Burger
‘They are a great team (very commercially/sector orientated) with a fantastic level of technical expertise and critical thinking. In particular, I would like to highlight that I’m very impressed with the work of senior associate Jan Burger work: he is simply excellent!‘
‘Commercial, great lawyers, good managers. The full package.’
‘Clifford Chance’s Mozambican team have a fantastic genuine “on the ground” experience and is devoted to its clients. They have a great and true concern in solving the problems of its clients and are unbeatable in successfully closing complex deals in Mozambique.‘
‘Knowledgeable, experienced and well familiar with the local legal requirements as well as international best practises. Vast body of previous transactions to inform advice provided to clients. Pro-active and responsive to client requirements.’
‘Highly competent in their areas of speciality and with a very professional and confident way of interacting. Quick turn-around of client requests. Willing to go the extra mile to ensure good solutions and advice being provided.’
Proparco / Agence Française de Développement
Standard Bank of South Africa
Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund
Electricidade de Moçambique, E.P (EDM)
- Acting for the sponsors on the development, construction, financing and operation of the Central Térmica de Temane 450MW gas-fired power project.
- Advising the lenders on the design, development, financing, construction, insurance, testing, commissioning, operation and maintenance of a 41MWp solar photovoltaic power plant located in Metoro.
- Advising Agence Française de Développement (AFD) on establishing a guarantee mechanism to limit the risk of non- payment by EDM in relation to the Project for Promotion of Auctions for Renewable Energies (PROLER) programme.
Eversheds Sutherland FCB has a well-established practice focusing on the Mozambican market; the team assists companies in a variety of sectors, from energy to aviation, and has a local partnership with AG Advogados. Its Mozambique desk is co-ordinated by banking and capital markets expert João Couceiro. Gonçalo Mexia is notable for commercial and corporate matters and both Felipe Ros in Lisbon and Ábida Delfina Munguambe in Maputo are key contacts at the non-partner level.
Other key lawyers:
Gonçalo Mexia; Felipe Ros; Ábida Delfina Munguambe
Bureau Veritas Moçambique
Capital Star Steel
A client base of major international investors instructs Miranda & Associados on transactions across a wide range of Mozambique's key sectors, including energy, infrastructure, mining and agriculture. Recent highlights include advising on investments in LNG projects, acquisitions in the mining sector and tax disputes. Practice head and corporate law Diogo Xavier da Cunha has over 20 years' experience in the jurisdiction. Nuno Cabeçadas is the key name for banking and finance work. The firm regularly collaborates with local firm Pimenta e Associados.
Diogo Xavier da Cunha
Other key lawyers:
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation and Anadarko Exploration and Production Moçambique Area 1
LAM (Mozambican Airline Company)
- Assisting Total Exploration and Production Moçambique Area 1 on a range of issues surrounding its proposed LNG project.
- Advised Anadarko Petroleum Corporation and Anadarko Exploration and Production Moçambique Area 1 on the merger with Occidental Petroleum and subsequent sale of Mozambican assets to Total.
- Acting for Gemrock Company on the acquisition of a number of mining assets and licenses.
The lawyers at Raposo Bernardo 'use their knowledge, intellectual rigour and experience' to advise a client base that includes a number of major banks and financial institutions. Rail and highway infrastructure projects as well as real estate matters have featured in the broad range of recent mandates for the team, which is co-headed by the highly praised Joana Andrade Correia, who is based in Lisbon. Ednilson Santos is a key local contact in Maputo.
Joana Andrade Correia; Ednilson Santos
‘Flawless technical skills combined with proactive and pragmatic advice. They get the job well done. At the end of the day, this is the most important. Also, they have a great deal of client care service, and in this area the credits must be given to Joana Correia, who is always available to explain, discuss and propose the best solutions whatever the complexity of the matter.‘
‘Raposo Bernardo are profound experts of the main sectors of our activity, and focused in giving solutions to solve problems with a legal approach and sensitiveness. The quality of their legal advice is very good. We can develop excellent relations on a day-to-day basis with its lawyers, demystifying the idea that lawyers are too formal. This office is truly informal, highly dynamic, and handling lots of initiatives of social responsibility besides the purely legal work.’
‘We usually work more closely with Joana Correia. Joana is very solid and with innovative solutions to solve problems. She is very familiar with international business environment an evident choice to recommend and a lawyer for big and important operations. She is very sophisticated and a fabulous lawyer.‘
‘They use their knowledge, intellectual rigour and experience to help clients make judgements and achieve their aims. They have the creativity to find innovative solutions to difficult challenges and explain them simply.‘
‘Joana Andrade Correia leverages her industry experience with her knowledge of legal banking and finance, project finance and corporate, regulatory, compliance and governance issues to provide us practical solutions to the legal and regulatory risks facing our businesses.’
‘Raposo Bernardo stands out for its permanent attention to the client, for the immediate response it gives to our requests, for its great availability, technical competence and professionalism. In addition, it has a huge knowledge of the Mozambican market, not only at the legal level but also of the market, institutions, important players, banks, etc.‘
‘Raposo Bernardo delivers seamless, sector-focused legal advice on all aspects of renewable energy work.’
‘Joana Andrade Correia heads the Mozambican office and she is a very proactive lawyer with great skills to analyse and solve complex problems. She is always focused on the best result for the client, mindful of the procedural development and very persistent in achieving the objectives.’
Abreu Advogados works in conjunction with local firm JLA ADVOGADOS to advise a number of international banking and finance clients, with Chinese investment into Mozambique being a recent focus. José Maria Corrêa de Sampaio is a corporate and finance specialist and co-heads the Mozambique desk alongside Pedro Pais de Almeida, who focuses on corporate and tax matters, and Zara Jamal, who is also a partner at Abreu's associated local firm JLA ADVOGADOS.
José Maria Corrêa de Sampaio; Pedro Pais de Almeida; Zara Jamal
Other key lawyers:
Ana Sofia Batista; Manuel Andrade de Neves
- Advising the senior creditors, Export Credit Agencies and Africa Development Bank on the financing and development of the Area 1 LNG project in Mozambique.
- Acted for Seguradoras Unidas, currently held by Apollo Fund, on the bid for the sale of its stake in insurance company Tranquilidade Angola and the incorporation of Tranquilidade Mozambique.
- Assisting Portucel on the implementation of an integrated forestry project for the production of wood for paper pulp and energy in Mozambique.
Highly regarded Iberian firm Cuatrecasas advises Spanish and Portuguese companies on establishing and running operations in Africa, as well as assisting African companies on their investments in Iberia and the rest of Europe. Senior associate Samantha Cyrne is the main contact, with particular expertise in advising French companies. The team works with local firm Couto, Graça e Associados Limitada (CGA).
Strongeagle Mozambique Fund
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Gorongosa Restoration Inc.
MDS – Corretor de Seguros
Gide Loyrette Nouel LLP
Couto, Graça & Associados
Florêncio Augusto Chagas
- Advising Strongeagle Mozambique Fund on projects carried out in Mozambique, including real estate projects and industrial projects.
- Assisting Veolia Environment on its implementation in Mozambique and regarding its hazardous and non-hazardous waste treatment activities.
- Advising International Finance Corporation (IFC) on the refinancing of a wheat and maize industrial project in Mozambique.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
Shearman & Sterling LLP draws on extensive experience in the power sector, where it advises lenders, sponsors and marketers on some of Mozambique's most notable projects. Iain Elder heads the team from London, and the firm's Singapore office is also frequently involved in deals involving Mozambique.
London firm Trinity International LLP has found a niche in advising on corporate and finance transactions in Africa, with particular experience in Mozambique. Landmark investments and financings of major energy projects are a focus of the team, which is led by Paul Biggs, Simon Norris and Kaushik Ray.
Paul Biggs; Simon Norris; Kaushik Ray
KfW Development Bank / Mozambican Ministry of Resources and Energy
Standard Bank of South Africa
- Advising KfW in relation to the implementation of its Global Energy Transfer Feed in Tariff (GET FiT) Programme.
- Advising Globeleq as the sponsor of the Cuamba Solar PV Project.
- Acted for Standard Bank of South Africa (SBSA) as lender on the financing of the 100MW Gigawatt Gas IPP.