Highly rated for its 'high international standards’, Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados is especially sought after to advise on inbound and outbound investment transactions. The firm is often engaged in large-scale project finance deals in an array of sectors, most notably oil and gas, mining, energy and natural resources. Porto-based project finance expert André de Sousa Vieira, who is qualified in England and Wales, Portugal and Spain, is a popular choice for lenders, sponsors and governments. He co-leads the practice with banking and finance specialist Claudia Santos Cruz, who is based in Lisbon and is admitted to practice in Mozambique, Portugal and England and Wales, and is a key contact for cross-border matters.
Foreign law firms in Mozambique
André de Sousa Vieira; Claudia Santos Cruz
‘I have found the team to be one of the few firms globally that can work in Lusophone jurisdictions with an understanding and capability to perform up to global international standards.’
‘I have been working with this firm in Lusophone Africa since André de Sousa Vieira moved there. André brings to this team first class legal expertise and experience. He is familiar with the high standards of our clients and the need for responsiveness and solution-driven advice.’
‘André de Sousa Vieira is a very good lawyer, bilingual and who understands the client’s needs well.’
- Advised a financial institution on the sale of a Mozambican insurance company.
- Acted for a client in a disinvestment transaction relating to an interest in a terminal project in Mozambique.
- Assisted a client in the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a Mozambique company active in the mining sector.
PLMJ‘s Mozambique desk works in close collaboration with Maputo-based law firm TTA – Sociedade de Advogados to assist domestic and international clients in investment projects, with a focus on Portuguese-speaking countries. Headed by Gonçalo dos Reis Martins, the group often advises on M&A, tax matters, currency exchange laws and international arbitration and is particularly active in the oil and gas, energy and real estate sectors. Martins is a popular choice for domestic and international banks and asset managers, while managing associate Marta Pedro is sought after to handle transactions in both Portugal and Mozambique and is well versed in corporate, construction and real estate matters. Senior associate Nuno Morgado Pereira, whose practice spans corporate and M&A, mining and infrastructure matters, is another name to note.
Gonçalo dos Reis Martins
Other key lawyers:
Marta Pedro; Nuno Morgado Pereira
‘The PLMJ team in Mozambique has a good knowledge of the country’s laws and administrative rules and procedures. It provides great help to clients, not only in complex matters, but also in day-to-day challenges.’
‘Marta Pedro is a very balanced professional, who knows how to put herself in the client’s shoes. She provides good advice.’
‘Its proactivity and communication are the best.’
‘The team is excellent.’
FNB – First National Bank
Standard Bank of South Africa
BCI – Banco Comercial e de Investimentos
Business Financial Solutions
Critical Software Mozambique
- Advised Revolut on the launch of a PayLater product, a limited credit service.
- Acted for Galp Energia in a $53m project finance facility to GIMTL (an SPV held by GALP – Petróleos de Portugal and IPG), granted by Standard Bank of South Africa and Standard Bank (Mozambique).
- Represented Cummins in a dispute relating to a fire incident that occurred at the Moatize Coal Mine, during which a Hitachi excavator, owned by Vale, sustained extensive fire damage.
VdA‘s ‘very experienced’ Mozambique group is noted for its wealth of experience in the oil and gas, energy, banking and construction sectors, where it handles a broad spectrum of tax, finance, licensing and corporate matters. Teresa Empis Falcão, who draws on more than 25 years of experience advising on project finance, acquisitions and structured finance transactions, leads the practice alongside José Miguel Oliveira, who is often engaged in transactions in Angola, Mozambique and Portugal and is a key contact for oil and gas, energy and transportation clients. E-commerce, data protection and privacy matters are areas of expertise for Magda Cocco. Oil and gas expert João Afonso Fialho is another key practitioner. Samuel Fernandes de Almeida left the firm in November 2023.
José Miguel Oliveira; Teresa Empis Falcão
Other key lawyers:
João Afonso Fialho; Magda Cocco
‘Complete availability to answer the client’s requests and explain the details of the law. They do not only read the law to us but spend time to explain the background and applicability.’
‘Very experienced in all areas that we have requested information.’
Total E&P Mozambique Area 1, Limitada
Mota- Engil, Engenharia e Construção África, SA (Mota-Engil África)
- Advised Mota-Engil África on the public tender for the concession, under a PPP regime, of the design, construction, finance, operation and maintenance of motorway tolls in Mozambique.
- Represented Portucel Moçambique and its parent companies in a dispute initiated by three former service providers.
The Mozambique desk at Abreu Advogados works in partnership with local law firm JLA ADVOGADOS, which makes it well placed to assist both domestic and international clients seeking assistance in cross-border matters. The group is prominent in the energy, natural resources, aviation, oil and gas, infrastructure and real estate segments and is often retained to handle litigation and debt collection proceedings in the banking sector. The practice is jointly led by corporate and M&A specialist Ana Sofia Batista, Zara Jamal and José Maria Corrêa de Sampaio. Jamal is a key contact for project finance, real estate, banking and energy matters.
Ana Sofia Batista; Zara Jamal; José Maria Corrêa de Sampaio
IDC – Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa
- Advised the senior creditors, including ECAs and the Africa Development Bank, alongside JLA Advogados on the financing and development of the Area 1 LNG project.
- Acted for Portucel Mozambique and the Navigator Company on all matters related to a forestry plantation project, including licences from the Mozambique State to use and exploit lands.
- Assisted Grupo Painhas in the execution of several FIDIC contracts with the national electric power company EDM – Electricidade de Moçambique.
Led by London-based partner Russell Wells and consultant Gibbs Johnson in Dubai, Clifford Chance LLP‘s Mozambique team frequently acts for a wide range of clients, including development banks, multinational companies and private equity funds on inbound transactions. In addition to its notable strength in large-scale energy, oil and gas and infrastructure projects, the practice is also recognised for its corporate and M&A, financial regulation and litigation expertise. Wells heads the firm’s global energy and resources sector group and maintains a strong lender and sponsor practice. Notable for his wealth of experience handling transactions across Africa, Johnson is a key contact for project finance.
Gibbs Johnson; Russell Wells
Agence Française de Développement
Standard Bank of South Africa
Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund
- Advised Globeleq and its consortium partners on the development and financing of the 450MW gas-fired Temane power project in Mozambique.
- Acted for Mitsubishi Corporation on the sale of an additional 17% interest in Mozambique-based aluminium smelter Mozal Aluminium to Australian company South32.
- Assisted Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund (EAIF) in the design, development, financing, construction, insurance, testing, commissioning, operation and maintenance of an 18 MWp solar photovoltaic power plant.
Working in association with local law firm AG Advogados, Eversheds Sutherland FCB maintains a broad practice in Mozambique, where it offers expertise in a wide range of industries, especially energy and oil and gas. Leading the group is João Couceiro, who is a banking and capital markets expert. Gonçalo Mexia is a key contact for corporate and M&A and commercial matters. Other names to note include senior associate Felipe Ros, who is well versed in cross-border financing and foreign investment, and associate Ábida Delfina Munguambe, whose expertise spans labour law and dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
Gonçalo Mexia; Felipe Ros
Kuiper Group (UAE)
Golf Capital (UAE)
- Assisted CPMZ – Companhia do Pipeline Moçambique Zimbabwe in the negotiation and execution of a facility agreement between TDB, BCI and CPMZ for the Beira-Feruka pipeline expansion project.
- Acted for SNC Lavalin, a multinational Canadian construction company, on the global sale of its oil and gas business.
- Advised OCB Oilfield services (Kuiper group), a human resources provider for the oil and gas industry, on its expansion into Mozambique.
Miranda & Associados
International investors turn to Miranda & Associados and the Miranda Alliance for assistance in transactions and investment projects in Mozambique. The group is active in a wide range of industries, including aviation, mining and logistics, and have recently been particularly active in renewables and oil and gas. Notable for his expertise in tax and corporate matters, Paulo Pimenta co-heads the Miranda Alliance and is the managing partner of Pimenta e Associados. Daniela Carvalho oversees the banking, corporate and energy practices. Litigation, labour and immigration matters are key areas of expertise for António Veloso.
Paulo Pimenta; Daniela Carvalho
Other key lawyers:
LAM – Mozambique Airlines
MPDC – Maputo Port Concession
Raposo Bernardo is a popular choice for large international financial institutions and development banks seeking assistance with investment transactions in Mozambique. The firm is active in a wide range of sectors, most notably aviation, infrastructure, oil and gas, energy and insurance. Noted for her track record in handling corporate matters, M&A and financing deals for major financial institutions, Joana Andrade Correia leads the group alongside Manuel Esteves Albuquerque, who heads the real estate and construction practice. Edson Santos, who is the firm’s Mozambique local partner, has significant experience advising on investment plans and licensing matters.
Joana Andrade Correia; Manuel Albuquerque
‘The level of service of Raposo Bernardo is the best and the responsiveness is impressive. We are very impressed by its approach and the way it solves our problems. We could not rate the team more highly. In terms of individuals, Joana Andrade Correia has deep knowledge of the Mozambican market.’
‘We thank Joana Correia for her in-depth analysis of our issues. We have total confidence in the quality of the services provided. Prompt responses.’
‘I highlight Manuel Esteves de Albuquerque, who is a highly skilled professional, very competent and who has a responsible approach to business, always delivering the desired results.’
‘Raposo Bernardo has a fantastic team in Mozambique.’
‘The lawyers of Raposo Bernardo with whom we work with are all superb. I cannot recall any lawyer that had failed or disappointed us for any reason. On the contrary, they are all very experienced and skilled, always delivering our projects and meeting our requirements.’
‘Joana has a well-established reputation for innovative thinking. We always feel that she provides us the confidence we need to act decisively. She has many years of experience acting for major players in the market on major domestic and cross-border transactions.’
‘Joana Andrade Correia is the individual I must emphasise, she is the main partner who leads the Mozambican practice and she is a top leading lawyer that leads a top team. She is an excellent lawyer. Very attentive and solicitous.’
‘The individuals that stand out for their top quality and outstanding performance are Joana Andrade Correia and Manuel Esteves de Albuquerque. Joana Andrade Correia is the leader of the Mozambican practice of Raposo Bernardo and is our primary and daily contact. With Joana we always feel she prioritises us as a client and does everything in her power to help our company to achieve our objectives. Manuel is the type of lawyer that never fails. He is always well prepared for everything we ask.’
- Advising a client on the negotiation and contracts for a $325m loan for the construction of a water treatment plant and construction of the distribution network.
- Acted for a client in a major infrastructure project for the construction of the expansion of a seaport and a large-scale cargo and container terminal, with a total value of $485m.
- Assisted a client in a high and multifaceted structure finance transaction for the acquisition of a fleet of commercial aircraft for leasing at a value of $235m.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP‘s Lusophone desk is known in the market for its strong project finance practice, regularly assisting leading lenders, export credit agencies and borrowers in multi-sourced financing deals for large projects in Mozambique. Spread across the firm’s worldwide network of offices, the team is jointly led by Tokyo-based partner Scott Neilson, who is recommended for project finance in the LNG sector, Tim Sales from London, and Ian Ingram–Johnson in Dubai, who typically acts for sponsors, lenders and company projects operating in the oil and gas, infrastructure and mining segments, among others.
Tim Scales; Scott Neilson; Ian Ingram-Johnson
Banco Comercial e de Investimentos, SA
The Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank
- Advised the lenders, a group of 30+ institutions, in connection with the Rovuma LNG Project (Area 4) located in the Rovuma Basin, Mozambique, on a mega project for the development of the onshore LNG facilities.
- Acted for the lenders, including ECAs and commercial banks, on the development and financing of the approximately $8bn Coral FLNG project to be moored in Area 4 Coral South Offshore Basin, Mozambique.
- Represented Aveng Group in cross-border litigation against a syndicate of insurers, seeking indemnification under a layered PI insurance for professional negligence.
Iberian law firm Cuatrecasas is frequently sought after by international clients to advise on corporate and commercial matters related to their operations in Mozambique. The firm also works in association with Mozambican firm Couto, Graça e Associados, lda – member of CMS to provide a broad service to clients. Leading the group is Samantha Cyrne, who has extensive experience handling project finance transactions in the oil and gas, mining, tourism and infrastructure sectors. Other key practitioners include international arbitration and litigation expert Frederico Bettencourt Ferreira and Luís Soares De Sousa, who is a key contact for joint ventures and M&A.
Other key lawyers:
Frederico Bettencourt Ferreira; Luís Soares de Sousa
Strongeagle Mozambique Fund
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
BSL – Comercio Internacional
Couto, Graça & Associados
Gorongosa Restoration Inc.
Infinitas Learning International BV
Grit Real Estate Income Group Limited
- Advised Strongeagle Mozambique Fund on projects carried out in Mozambique, including maritime training and related services projects for oil and gas offshore companies.
- Acted for Infinitas Learning in the acquisition of LeYa, a group of educational and general publishing companies present in Portugal and Mozambique.
- Assisted Veolia Environment in the development of its business in Mozambique.
Mayer Brown International LLP‘s Mozambique desk combines expertise from its lawyers across Brazil, London and Houston to assist international clients in their investment projects and related matters. Splitting his time between Rio de Janeiro and London, Paulo Rage oversees the group and has extensive experience handling projects in the mining, energy, oil and gas, and infrastructure industries, with a focus on emerging markets in Latin America and Africa. Other key names include foreign exchange, corporate law and investment expert Gonçalo Falcão and Alexandre Chequer, who heads the firm’s global oil and gas team.
Other key lawyers:
Gonçalo Falcã; Alexandre Chequer
‘The team is fast to respond and very business oriented.’
‘I’d highlight Paul Rage.’
Trinity International LLP
Boutique law firm Trinity International LLP is specialised in advising on large energy and infrastructure transactions in emerging markets, with a strong focus on the African continent. With more than 20 years of experience handling projects for banks and companies in Africa, founding partner Simon Norris is a key contact for energy and infrastructure transactions. He manages the group alongside Paul Biggs and Kaushik Ray.
Paul Biggs; Simon Norris; Kaushik Ray
KfW Development Bank
Mozambican Ministry of Resources and Energy
Standard Bank of South Africa
Azura Power Holdings Limited
- Advised KfW on the implementation of its Global Energy Transfer Feed in Tariff (GET FiT) Programme.
- Acted for Globeleq as the sponsor of the Cuamba Solar PV Project.
- Assisted the sponsors, including Scatec Solar and Norfund, in the Mocuba Solar Project.