With a high degree of experience in project finance and project development, the Casablanca branch of Clifford Chance advises clients across Africa and beyond on matters spanning the full life cycle of projects. The energy and infrastructure sectors are key areas of expertise for the firm, where it advises on some of the most significant renewable and oil and gas projects in the market. Mustapha Mourahib has considerable experience in representing public, private and state-owned corporate clients in the development and financing of major projects in the energy sector. He co-leads the office with Ouns Lemseffer, a project development specialist active in the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Projects and public law in Morocco
Mustapha Mourahib; Ouns Lemseffer
‘Deep understanding of projects structuration.’
‘Ouns Lemseffer is a talented lawyer with very good negotiation skills and result oriented.’
Banque Centrale Populaire
Enel Green Power
Ciments de l’Atlas
Nareva Holding SA
- Advised Moroccan National Office for Hydrocarbons and Mines (ONHYM) in respect of taking over ownership and operations (gas transportation services) of the Moroccan section of Maghreb-Europe gas pipeline (the GME).
- Advised the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) on the financing granted to the Agence Nationale des Ports as part of a program to rehabilitate, upgrade and strengthen the climate resilience of the infrastructure of Morocco’s main ports.
- Advised MASEN on the financing of the repowering of the Koudia al Baida wind farm from 50MW to 100MW.
GIDE LOYRETTE NOUEL
Regularly acting on behalf of private operators, public entities and financial institutions, GIDE LOYRETTE NOUEL has deep experience in the structuring and implementation of projects within the infrastructure and energy sectors. This includes matters related to PPP and BOT, as well as projects surrounding green hydrogen and other forms of renewable energy. Wacef Bentaibi leads the team, advising sponsors and lenders on public and private infrastructure projects across Africa with a particular expertise in the mining and oil and gas sectors. He is supported by associate Frédéric Pia, who acts on renewable and infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very reliable and experienced team in the Energy sector and in regulation in the field.’
‘The team is knowledgeable about energy and updated on the regulations in the country.’
‘The team is fully dedicated to appropriately protect and defend client’s rights and interests.’
Chariot Transitional Power
Emmerson (Khemisset Project)
Société Marocaine d’Ingénierie Touristique
Tanger Med Utilities
International Finance Corporation
Société royale d’encouragement du cheval
Engie Africa BU
- Assisting Chariot Transitional Power in relation to the development of a green hydrogen and ammonia production project, denominated as Project NOUR.
- Provided assistance to Naval group in relation to the review and negotiation of a port concession across the Moroccan National Port Agency (Agence Nationale des Ports).
- Advised MLS Minerals SARL in relation to the development of a mine and related infrastructure to extract potash ore from the mine deposit located in the Khemisset Province of the Rabat-Sale-Kenitra region.
Mernissi - FIGES
The energy and infrastructure team at Mernissi assists a range of prominent clients within the renewables, hydrocarbons, mining, ports and desalination sectors. In addition, the firm provides supports banks and borrowers on project finance matters, as well as public contracts and public/private partnerships. The team is led by Saad El Mernissi, a specialist in energy projects who joined the team from DLA Piper in October 2021. He is supported by associate Nicole Ackah-Yensu.
Saad El Mernissi
Other key lawyers:
‘They are available, accessible, reactive and of good advice I name Saad Mernissi first, then Nicole Ackah-Yensu for her availability and reactivity.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development; Société Générale; Attijariwafa Bank, Banque Centrale Populaire; Bank of Africa
Agility DistriParks FZE
BayWa r.e. Solar Projects GmbH
Lafarge Holcim Maroc
BMCE Bank of Africa
- Advising the lenders (European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Société Générale, Attijariwafa Bank, Banque Centrale Populaire, Bank of Africa), in connection with the financing of the repowering and extension of the Koudia Al Baida wind farm in Morocco.
- Advising BMCE Bank of Africa in connection with the world’s largest seawater desalination plant under construction in the Agadir area for drinking water and irrigation.
- Advising BayWa r.e. Solar Projects GmbH in connection with the development, construction, grid connection, and operation of renewable energy power plants in Morocco.
Norton Rose Fulbright
With the support of the firm’s international network, the corporate team at Norton Rose Fulbright has advised a variety of domestic and international clients on the realisation of projects within the infrastructure, transport and energy sectors. The group also undertakes a significant amount of work for state entities, particularly in regard to renewable energy. Alain Malek leads the team, with experience in handling cross-border transactions across Europe and the MENA region.
Other key lawyers:
Anne Lapierre; Marion Roquette-Pfister Godefroy Le Mintier
Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy
Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Digital Economy
CDG palais des congrès Marrakech
Agence Marocaine de Développement des Investissements et des Exportations (AMDIE)
- Advising the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Digital Economy in the context of the creation of the Tanger Tech city near Tangiers.
- Advising the Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy (MASEN) on the next phases of Morocco’s ambitious solar plan.
- Advising Abengoa and Inframaroc, ONEE and the Ministry of Agriculture in the context of the commissioning of the water desalination plant in Agadir on 30 June 2022.
ASAFO & CO. MOROCCO Sarl
The projects and PPP team at ASAFO & CO. MOROCCO Sarl has been involved in a number of major projects across Morocco and sub-Saharan Africa, particularly within the transport, infrastructure, energy and services sectors. Additionally, the team has a strong track record in cross-border matters which originate from Moroccan financing. Louis Dubois is a key contact, with a focus on public business law and PFI, as well as urban planning and environmental law.
UTAC Holding and FEV
Upline Corporate finance
Marocaine des Jeux et des Sports
Agadir Mobilité SA
Société Nationale des Autoroutes du Maroc (ADM)
City of Marrakech
- Advising Marocaine des Jeux et des Sports in the context of for the selection of a new operator in charge of the global management and operation of its lottery, sports betting and other games activities.
- Advising Casa Transports, in partnership with Espelia, for the five-year revision of the delegated management contract for the operation of the lines of the future exclusive right-of-way public transport network (TCSP) in Casablanca and the triggering of the conditional tranches, including two BRT lines.
- Advising Agadir Mobilité SA, for the realization of services relating to the evaluation of the contract of delegated management of the public service of public transport by bus of the Greater Agadir and the installation of a line of BHNS in Agadir.
With lawyers based in both Casablanca and Paris, FIDAL has a strong track record across the full spectrum of projects and public law matters. In particular, some areas of focus for the firm are PPP, renewables and large projects. Such work is generally conducted on behalf of clients within the energy, natural resources, infrastructure, agriculture and retail sectors. Julie Claude leads the team, with specific expertise in the fields of public business law and public procurement contracts.
‘I particularly enjoy working with Julie Claude’s team on public law projects in Africa, for their field knowledge of the continent.’
‘The team is able to grasp complex legal issues but never lose sight of the commercial dimension of the project.’
‘Julie Claude greatly anticipates the progress of the stages of a PPP project, and this allows not to fall behind on the project. She is also very persistent and does not let the first difficulty stop her. She is tenacious and keen to deliver the best possible result for the client.’
Casa Transports SA
Moroccan National Ports Agency
Société du Tramway de Rabat Salé
Ordre de Malte
WinWin Afrique Agora Ivoire SA
State of Burkina Faso
Boad (West African Development Bank)
WAEMU Commission (funded by the World Bank)
Maison des Musiques d’Afrique et du Monde
- Advised Casa Transport on the implementation of parking lots in Casablanca, on a PPP framework.
- Provided support to Société du Tramway de Rabat Salé on the management of car parks and related commercial activities in its own name and to outsource some of the tasks entrusted to it.
UGGC Africa features a dedicated public law and projects practice which covers the full range of services in the sector, including public procurement law, PPP, public construction and urban planning. Ali Bougrine leads the team, advising clients on public law and public private partnerships. Laurent Sablé is a key contact, with experience in public construction law and economic regulation.
Other key lawyers:
Centre Monétique Interbancaire (CMI)
Matis Aerospace (a joint company of Boeing and Safran)
- Assists RAPT Dev, a fully owned subsidiary of the RATP group which operates and maintains urban and interurban transport networks on 4 continents, in the conclusion and execution of public transport contracts.
- Acts as legal counsel to Matis Aerospace, a joint venture owned 50% by Safran Electrical (world leader in aeronautical electrical systems) and 50% by Boeing (a US aerospace manufacturer with the 2nd largest military sales worldwide), on all legal issues encountered by the company.