Leading firms in Mauritius
The Mauritius outpost of global offshore firm Appleby houses a full-service, on-the-ground offering, which combines local and international expertise in both transactional and contentious matters. Registered foreign lawyer Malcolm Moller, managing partner of the Mauritius, Seychelles and Shanghai offices, is a key contact for corporate and financial services work. Yahia Nazroo, who leads the disputes group, routinely handles civil, commercial and criminal litigation. Dushyant Ramdhur also specialises in litigation, including insurance, bankruptcy and trust disputes.
‘This is a very impressive team of lawyers.’
‘Yahia Nazroo is a very assured partner and understands the jurisdiction very well.’
‘Dushyant Ramdhur is a newly appointed partner and is hard-working and very reliable.’
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Ltd
Government of Singapore Investment Corporation
Standard Bank Mauritius Ltd
Jane Street Group LLC
Savannah Petroleum Plc
DE Shaw composite Investments Ltd
DP World Group
Moorgate Industries UK Ltd
- Acted as local counsel to Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation on a $470.7m refinancing facility to Singapore-listed Ezion Holdings.
- Advised Goldman Sachs on the local aspects of a $115m financing to Apax-backed Quinag Acquisition (FDI) Limited, to support the acquisition of a controlling stake in Healthium MedTech.
- Acted for Essar Global Fund on its application to resist the recognition of an arbitral award in Mauritius.
Local heavyweight Benoit Chambers has dominant offerings in litigation, corporate and finance law. The Ebene-based firm impresses with its first-class client base, which is composed of local and foreign corporations, financial institutions, utilities and regulators. A former state counsel and magistrate, Clarel Benoit is highly sought after for complex corporate and finance matters. Nadeem Lallmamode, whose practice spans funds, financial services, securities and IP, is also noted.
‘Benoit Chambers is a consistently tier-1 firm.’
‘Clarel Benoit is one of the best lawyers on the island.’
Standard Bank (Mauritius) Limited
African Development Bank
Apollo Global Management
Aion Investments Private IV Limited
Arindo Holding (Mauritius) Limited
State Insurance Company of Mauritius Ltd
- Advised Aion Investments Private IV Limited, as the parent of the borrower, on a $100m term-loan facility with Investec Bank and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, Singapore Branch.
- Acted for CSSAF Lifeco Holdings, a co-investment vehicle owned and controlled by the Carlyle Sub-Saharan Africa Fund, on the acquisition of a majority stake in AK Life Sciences (Abacus).
- Advised Pick and Buy Ltd on the acquisition of Shoprite Supermarket at Port-Louis.
Among the largest of Mauritius’ independent firms, BLC Robert & Associates has a considerable presence in both Ebene and Port Louis. Best known for its transactional strength, the well-balanced practice houses four standalone departments covering corporate and commercial, banking and finance, disputes resolution, and financial services and regulatory. Managing partner Iqbal Rajahbalee is recognised for his strong record in contentious matters. Jason Harel, who leads the corporate and M&A department, and up-and-coming transactional partner Jean-Eric Sauzier are also highly regarded. In 2018, banking and finance specialist Valerie Bisasur, corporate and M&A lawyer Fayaz Hajee Abdoula and litigator Mushtaq Namdarkhan were all promoted to the partnership.
‘A truly diversified firm with skills to provide a fully fledged service to clients.’
‘The combined skills of the partners we regularly work with makes them the right team to accompany us on many of our assignments.’
‘Iqbal Rajahbalee is a proper professional in all sense of the word. He is clear and concise and is always available to discuss matters. Always a good face to see when we need help.’
Mauritius Commercial Bank
Central Water Authority
Harel Freres (Now Terra)
Paradise Cove Hotel
Zilwa Resorts Ltd
Outrigger Hotel & Resorts
- Advised CDC Group on the local aspects of its $180m investment in Liquid Telecom.
- Advised Mauritius-based construction company BCE on its amalgamation with Cogir Ltd.
- Represented MasterCard International before the Competition Commission of Mauritius following an investigation into issuer interchange fees.
ENSafrica distinguishes itself through its ability to plug into the wider firm’s extensive Africa network, marking it as a top choice for regional outbound and inbound investment. The team routinely acts for domestic and multinational corporations, financial institutions and public and regulatory bodies, with strong experience in multi-jurisdictional transactions and disputes. Office head Thierry Koenig is well versed in contentious and non-contentious matters, including M&A, capital markets, project finance and commercial litigation. Maxime Sauzier is a key contact in the firm’s sizeable litigation practice, while Martine de Fleuriot de la Coliniere is noted for corporate and finance work.
‘ENSafrica have a market-leading finance and restructuring practice; you get the sense that they are a more substantial team compared to their peers.’
‘On the restructuring side, Thierry Koenig is clearly one of the most experienced operators in the market.’
The Mauritius Commercial Bank
Absa Bank and Barclays bank
Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited (“IDC”)
Bank of China (Mauritius) Ltd
First Global Funds Limited PCC (“FGFL”)
Ius Ad Vitam Association
ICICI Venture Funds Management Company Ltd
VISA International Service Association (“Visa”)
- Advised Alteo on its corporate restructuring.
- Acted for Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa on a $20m mezzanine term loan to MOGS Storage Mauritius.
- Advised ENL Group on its MUR6bn issuance of multi-currency notes.
Dentons (Mauritius) LLP
Dentons (Mauritius) LLP hit the ground running following the launch of its Mauritius offering in 2018 through the merger of legacy firms Mardemootoo Solicitors and Balgobin Chambers. The team, which handles a mix of transactional and contentious work, has a thriving financial services practice. Managing partner Sivakumaren Mardemootoo, who heads the banking and finance team for the Africa region, and senior partner Priscilla Balgobin-Bhoyrul, who leads the financial institutions group in Africa, are both recognised specialists. Nawsheen Ahmine left the firm.
‘A global team and global brand with a highly specialised local practice that provides the best of all worlds from a client representation perspective.’
‘Extremely efficient and proactive lawyers covering a broad skill set as a global one-stop solutions provider.’
‘Dentons is well known as one of the leading law firms in Mauritius for its substantial expertise and experience in the realms of litigation, corporate and financial services work, which extends to Africa.’
‘Priscilla Balgobin-Bhoyrul is always available, extremely commercial and has broad practice knowledge for financial services.’
‘Sivakumaren Mardemootoo stands out for his exceptional experience in transactional work in the corporate domain, and particularly banking.’
‘I think what sets Dentons apart from the rest is their response times. They have always reverted promptly with solutions to all our requests.’
State Bank of Mauritius Ltd
Astoria Investments Ltd
State Bank of Mauritius Holdings Ltd
Fifth Third Bank
Volt Graphite Tanzania Plc
Oaktree Capital Management
Gazprombank (Switzerland) Ltd
Webfluential Global Limited
- Advised State Bank of Mauritius on the restructuring of four facilities granted to companies in Kenya and BVI, totalling $237.5m.
- Advised USA-headquartered Fifth Third Bank on local regulatory matters and the establishment of a branch in Mauritius.
- Acted for Oaktree Capital Management on the setting up of a closed-end fund incorporated in Mauritius.
Eversheds (Mauritius) Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) continues to raise its profile locally, particularly for transactional and regulatory work, and it recently advised on the incorporation and licensing of the first fintech fund in Mauritius. Michael Hough, who is a registered foreign lawyer, heads the financial services and securities department. Additional contacts include corporate and commercial head Yannick Fok and banking and finance lead Jean-Francois Boisvenu.
Xen Technologies Pte Ltd
Cim Finance Ltd
Novare Investment Limited
H.V Holdings Limited
Adansonia Management Services Limited
Oak Management Mauritius
GMG Trust Limited
- Advised Lavastone on its acquisition of Mourouk Ebony, a boutique hotel in Rodrigues.
- Acted for H.V Holdings Ltd on the acquisition of a major retailer of electronic goods in Mauritius.
- Advised Xen Technologies Pte on the incorporation and licensing of the first fintech fund in Mauritius, Xen Global Diversified Strategies Growth Fund.
Juristconsult Chambers advises on a wide range of corporate, banking and regulatory issues, with its dedicated tax practice standing out as a key differentiator. The firm, which is a member of the DLA Piper Africa Group, also sets itself apart through its cross-border experience. Chairman Marc Hein, who is a former member of parliament, is highly regarded for transactional work and public law. Managing partner Nicolas Richard is a key name for corporate and M&A, and banking and finance.
‘Juristconsult has a good knowledge of the law and delivers good advice at an appropriate price point.’
‘High level of responsiveness. Tailored and accurate advice. Proactive and forthcoming attitude. Ability to understand complex structures and to handle pressure.’
‘Another attribute contributing towards their strength is their breadth of legal knowledge, whereby each of their lawyers has a specific practice area, which is not necessarily the case for other law firms.’
Gulf Credit Opportunities Fund II, and AfricInvest Fund III LLC
Botswana Development Corporation Limited
Standard Bank (Mauritius) Limited
Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
EDFI Management Company N.V.
Fortis Healthcare International
Mauritius Commercial Bank
New Mauritius Hotels (Beachcomber)
Norsad Finance Limited
Overseas Private Investment Corporation
African Leadership University
- Advised Gatehouse Bank on the review of a murabaha facility agreement.
- Advised MauBank on a $7m financing transaction.
- Acted for Fortis Healthcare International on the sale of its 28.89% stake in Medical and Surgical Centre to CIEL Healthcare.
Independent firm Venture Law is consistently engaged on cross-border transactions, particularly involving Africa and Asia, with corporate, banking and finance key areas of expertise. Sameer Tegally, who counts multinational corporations and banks among his clients, is highly regarded for finance and trusts matters.
- Advised NBK Capital Partners on its acquisition of King Integrated American School in Egypt.
- Advised Intel, as a selling shareholder, on IndiaMart InterMesh’s IPO.
- Advised UPL on the local aspects of its $4.2bn acquisition, together with Abu Dhabi Investment Authority and TPG Capital, of Florida-based Arysta Life Science.
5 St James Court handled several high-profile litigation engagements over the past year. Most notably, it successfully defended the Prime Minister of Mauritius in a conflict of interest case — Ravindra Chetty, head of chambers, led that matter. Avinash Sunassee has a strong reputation for transactional work.
‘Unlike most chamber sets, 5 St James Court has barristers advising on both disputes and non-contentious matters.’
‘Ability to clearly interpret the law and willingness to assist with the most complicated parts of legislation, and advise accordingly.’
‘The team provides a good blend of expertise that cuts across various legal frameworks to bring the most appropriate course of action to the client.’
‘Professional and proactive, with a positive attitude.’
‘Ravindra Chetty is a respected member of the Bar who is as responsive as he is knowledgeable on the ins and outs of the legal system.’
‘Ravindra Chetty properly masters applicable legislation, gives accurate advice and offers reliable guidance on practical aspects.’
‘I have worked with Avinash Sunassee, for whom I have a lot of respect. I appreciate his sharpness and his capacity to come up with alternative approaches to a particular issue/problem.’
‘Avinash Sunassee has proved himself a very able and reliable adviser and advocate. Avinash is our “go-to” for advice and representation in Mauritius.’
Air Mauritius Limited
Bank of Mauritius
Financial Services Commission
British High Commission
Essar Global Fund Limited
Australian High Commission
State Trading Corporation
Economic Development Board
Grant Thornton (Mauritius)
BCP Bank (Mauritius)
BanyanTree Bank Ltd
- Represented State Trading Corporation in an application to set aside a provisional order obtained ex parte by Betamax Ltd, for the recognition and enforcement of an arbitral award.
- Successfully defended Mr Pravind Kumar Jugnauth, the Prime Minister of Mauritius, in a conflict of interest case.
- Acted for Mauritius Telecom in an unfair competition case brought by Emtel.
Best known for its litigation expertise, Basset Chambers has solid experience in the banking and finance, corporate, telecoms and real estate sectors. It also handles advisory work. High-profile litigator Désiré Basset is the name to note.
Uteem Chambers houses a thriving tax practice. It also has significant experience in banking and finance, corporate and M&A, public law and trusts. Head of chambers Muhammad Uteem, who is also a member of parliament, is recognised for his expertise in tax, trusts and finance matters.
- Advised Volcan Investments Cyprus Ltd, as borrower, on a $1.1bn facilities agreement.
- Advised AFIG Funds, as borrower, on a $19.2m loan.
- Acted as local counsel to The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited on a £50m loan to a business process outsourcing provider.
YKJ Legal has a focus on transactions, with considerable expertise in investment funds, corporate and commercial law, regulatory issues and banking and finance. Managing partner Yuvraj Juwaheer is noted for his experience in funds, finance and trusts.
SSG Capital Management Group
China Development Bank
Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission
Chambers of Urmila Boolell SC
Chambers of Urmila Boolell SC, sits within the wider Temple Group, which combines a capable legal offering with complementary compliance, training and publishing services. Firm founder Urmila Boolell has broad experience of civil and commercial litigation.
CHANCERY HOUSE (SUITE 508-509)
A popular choice for disputes, Chambers of A.R.M.A. Peeroo SC GOSK is mainly active in finance and insurance litigation and arbitration cases. It also handles transactional matters. Head of chambers Abdool Razack Peeroo and arbitration specialist Jamsheed Peeroo are the key contacts.
‘A team of specialised barristers who can analyse well and advise effectively on contentious issues and in contentious situations.’
‘Their key strength lies in being effective barristers and consequently also extremely good at legal analysis.’
‘When needed they were also quick in their responses and could advise on multiple aspects such as tax, company law and tort law simultaneously.’
Timothy NG LLC
Bravo Industries Ltd
Nishith Desai Associates
Compagnie de Sécurité
Privée et Industrielle (SARL)
- Represented Compagnie de Sécurité Privée et Industrielle before the Supreme Court in resisting an application for the setting aside of an arbitral award given by MARC (the ADR arm of the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry).
- Acted for TUI France in recognition and enforcement proceedings before the Supreme Court concerning an international arbitration award rendered under ICC rules.
- Represented GFA Insurance before the Supreme Court in an insurance claim case.
Erriah Chambers handles a broad range of contentious and transactional matters, with tax, trusts, finance and M&A all key pillars of the practice. The firm’s membership of the LEX Africa network is a notable asset for multinational clients. Dev Erriah, head of chambers, is the name to note.
IPvocate Africa Law Firm Cabinet d’Avocats Ltd
IPvocate Africa Law Firm Cabinet d’Avocats Ltd’s exclusive focus on IP law translates into a broad spread of trade mark, patent and design matters, including a dominant anti-counterfeiting practice. Firm founder Marius Schneider specialises in advising clients from Europe and Africa.
‘Specialised in African trade mark administration and litigation. Strong cross-border and anti-counterfeit ability.’
‘Personal approach, passion, enthusiasm and knowledge of IP in Africa. Focused on business solutions using both traditional and non-traditional IP enforcement measures.’
‘The whole team’s reliability, decisiveness, precision and dedication is veritably unique.’
‘The firm has an outstanding IP practice which cuts across Africa, they bring practical solutions to client’s problems and are quick to respond to correspondences.’
‘Marius Schneider is an absolute pleasure to work with, and always available. Will go the extra mile in finding solutions for clients.’
‘Marius and his team is 100% reliable, absolutely efficient and not shy to work extra hours whenever needed. Their flexibility is very remarkable.’
Promasidor Group of Companies
Andreas Stihl AG & Co KG
Tana Africa Capital
Honda Motor Europe Limited
- Advised Promasidor on trade mark portfolio management.
PLCJ Ltd., which practises both Mauritian and French law, has robust cross-border expertise. Best known for its corporate and M&A capability, the firm also draws upon skill sets in competition, IP, technology and dispute resolution. Founding partner Mathilde Parent Lagesse, who is qualified in both France and Mauritius, is noted.
‘PLCJ is a dynamic and professional law firm that provides a full service in business law in Mauritius.’
‘Team strengths: experts in mainly all the fields of law needed for your business; strong network, therefore easy access to experts needed in other fields and other jurisdictions.’
‘The team is very professional, rigorous, proactive, with a very client-focused and pragmatic approach.’
‘The founder of the firm, Mathilde Parent Lagesse, comes from a big British firm (Bird & Bird), where she has acquired the best practice both in French and in English.’
‘We have especially worked with Mathilde Parent Lagesse and Ornella Bisquay. They have shown strong skills in commercial law, reactivity to deal with difficulties, commitment in their files and availability.’
Inside Capital Partners
Compass Venture Capital (ENL)
Omnicane Management and Consultancy
Cat Isambourg Cie
- Advised Phoenix Beverages on its participation with the Competition Commission’s resale price maintenance amnesty programme.
- Provides ongoing advice to Compass Venture Capital on its investments in start-ups.
- Acted for Omnicane on the launch of two new products in the Mauritian and French markets.
Imtihaz Mamoojee Chambers
Imtihaz Mamoojee Chambers has a multi-disciplinary practice and is increasingly prominent in the market, with a strong record in insurance and commercial litigation. Head of chambers Imtihaz Mamoojee is noted for insurance and banking-related matters.
‘The practice is small and responsive to clients’ needs. It offers a broad range of services with a focus on corporate.’
‘The practice is very dynamic and gets the work done within the specified time.’
‘Legal advisors are always ready to fight in court and never give up. Their advice is pertinent and practical in nature.’
‘The team is masterfully led by a seasoned and professional barrister with an extensive network amongst his peers and businesses in Mauritius and abroad.’
‘Imtihaz Mamoojee is a senior legal practitioner with a wide range of experience and deep understanding of the Mauritius legal framework.’
‘I deal mostly with Arvind Sookhoo, who has brilliantly performed in all assigned cases for our group. We warmly recommend him.’
MC LAW OFFICES
PwC Legal (Mauritius) Ltd
PwC Legal (Mauritius) Ltd, which opened its doors in 2019, handles a mix of transactional, advisory and contentious matters, with tax disputes standing out as a key strength. Managing partner Anne-Sophie Jullienne, who was formerly at Afralaw Chambers, is a practising barrister in both Mauritius, and England and Wales.