Appleby assists with the full spectrum of Mauritian law, with a particular emphasis on local and international transactions and litigation. The group's expertise includes corporate, commercial and structured finance, while a separate dispute resolution practice mainly handles fund disputes, restructuring and insolvency, as well as fraud and asset tracing cases. Registered foreign lawyer Malcolm Moller acts as corporate practice group head, Yahia Nazroo leads the disputes group and Dushyant Ramdhur specialises in litigation with a focus on insurance, industrial disputes and recovery procedures.
Leading firms in Mauritius
Malcom Moller; Yahia Nazroo
Other key lawyers:
‘Promptness, dedication and attention to details as well as advice being provided so as to make an informed decision for the benefit of the business.’
‘Yahia Nazroo – calmness, assurance and shrewdness while handling even the most complex issues.’
‘Very high level of service in Mauritius, experienced lawyers well versed in international litigation.’
‘Yahia Nazroo – confident and well-versed in Mauritian procedures. Dushyant Ramdhur – industrious and conscientious.’
Apollo Global Management LLC
UPL Corporation Limited
Apex Fund Services (Mauritius) Ltd
China Minsheng Banking Corporation Inc
Hudson River Trading LLC
Jane Street Group LLC
McDermott International Inc.
Teranga Gold Corporation
The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
Holman Fenwick Wilan LLP
Wintell & Co
The Mauritius Financial Services Commission
Conyers Dill & Pearman (Bermuda)
Butterfield (Mauritius) Ltd
CMS RM Partners (South Africa)
- Advised Azure Power Energy (issuer) on the issuance of its c. $350m 5.65% senior notes due in 2024, which are to be listed on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading.
- Advised China Minsheng Bank on amendment to a $400m facility used to develop oil and gas.
- Advised UPL Corporation (issuer) on the issue of $400m perpetual subordinated capital securities which are expected to be listed on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited and will be offered and sold in compliance with Regulation S of the U.S. Securities Act of 1933.
As of August 2020, Benoit Chambers has changed its legal form from a set of chambers to a registered law firm. The firm continues the set's previous main activity advising local and foreign clients, mostly corporates, on transaction, litigation and insolvency law. Clarel Benoit is the key figure at the practice and advises on complex corporate and commercial matters. Nadeem Lallmamode is noted for acting as leading counsel on funds-related work and debt securities issues.
Other key lawyers:
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The Rockefeller Foundation
Apollo Global Management
Soros Economic Development Fund
Kedaara Capital Investment Managers Limited
Lux Island Resorts Limited
Landscope Mauritius Limited
- Advised CA Rover Holdings on an IPO.
- Advised IBL on a second notes issuance of an aggregate nominal amount of MUR4bn.
- Advised the Mauritius Commercial Bank as charge holder on the receivership of Compagnie D’Investissement Immobilier de Flacq Ltee.
BLC Robert & Associates
With a solid presence in both Ebene and Port Louis, BLC Robert & Associates is described as 'very strong' in banking and finance law, especially acting on the side of banks. The team is also distinguished by its litigation department, led by Iqbal Rajahbalee, which includes 'stand-out litigator' Mushtaq Namdarkhan; and its corporate and commercial expertise, where Jason Harel stands out; and its advice pertaining to financial services. Jean-Eric Sauzier is highly regarded for his transactional experience.
Iqbal Rajahbalee; Jason Harel; Jean-Eric Sauzier
Other key lawyers:
Fayaz Hajee Abdoula; Kawthur Soreefan; Josephine Montocchio; Mushtaq Namdarkhan; André Robert
‘Excellent client service, very good technically, competitively priced for a good work product.’
‘Fayaz Hajee Abdoula, Kawthur Soreefan and Josephine Montocchio have all been excellent – responsiveness, ability to coordinate and project manage to a tight timeline, and concise advice make them stand out.’
‘BLC offers an excellent bench strength in a variety of fields in Mauritius. Very strong in banking law.’
‘Jean-Eric Sauzier not only knows the laws of Mauritius but also understands business needs, and he is quite capable of thinking outside the box if this is required.’
‘Responsive, hands on, pragmatic, thinking in solutions instead of uncertainties.’
‘Open minded, smart, responsive, supportive.’
‘The stand-out partners of the firm on the litigation side are André Robert and Mushtaq Namdarkhan.’
‘The cross-specialisation of the team- members provides a cutting edge service to its customers. It also provides us with a deeper insight of the business world. ’
‘Availability and eagerness to listen thoroughly to all details.’
‘This is without a doubt the No 1 law firm in Mauritius in all areas of its practice, performance, service quality and ease of use. It is also very flexible on its pricing and very responsive and friendly at all levels of its lawyers.’
Mauritius Union Ltd (“MUA”)
Standard Chartered Bank
Africa Agriculture and Trade Investment Fund (AATIF)
Agence Francaise de Developpement
FMBcapital Holdings plc
AfricInvest Capital Partners
Encourage Capital, LLC
Agooji, Alitheia IDF Fund LP
The Mauritius Commercial Bank Limited (MCB)
State Trading Corporation
VSoft Holdings LLC v Peepul Capital Fund II LLC and Millenium Strategic Group Limited
Mastercard International Incorporated (“Mastercard”)
- Advised Seil on many aspects of a deal including advising on a) the administration of Seil, b) duties of directors of a Mauritian company in financial difficulties and c) the implementation of the financial restructuring.
- Advised MUA, the purchaser, on negotiations of the share purchase agreement with the sellers, the shareholders of Saham Assurance Kenya.
- Advised Medine on the drafting and negotiations of the lease agreement, the development management agreement and the share purchase agreement.
ENSafrica, which is widely known for its Africa-wide network, has an established team in Mauritius managed by Thierry Koenig, a recognised litigator and arbitrator. The team is especially appreciated for its advice on matters involving trade and business development across Africa, Asia and India, and it routinely handles M&A, capital markets, project finance and commercial litigation matters. Maxime Sauzier is the key litigator; Martine de Fleuriot de la Colinière heads up the Indian Ocean commercial and corporate sector; Nashenta Vuddamalay Zindel specialises in banking and finance, and financial markets and products. Shrivan Dabee is appreciated for his employment and competition law practice.
Other key lawyers:
Maxime Sauzier; Shrivan Dabee; Nashenta Vuddamalay Zindel
‘They are experts in their field’
‘Maxime Sauzier and Shrivan Dabee are just outstanding. They are available either by phone or by email and they respond very quickly and effectively’
‘The practice is unique in that in addition to Mauritian law capabilities, there also lawyers capable in French and DRC law.’
‘Nashenta Vuddamalay Zindel is always dedicated and helpful.’
‘Nashenta Vuddamalay Zindel is a fantastic finance partner and very thoughtful and commercial.’
TNS Tobacco Company
African Export Import Bank
Puma Energy Group
The Mauritius Commercial Bank
Bank of China International
Association of Hoteliers and Restaurants In Mauritius
Visa International Service Association
British American Investment Limited
National Property Fund Limited
Barak Fund Limited
Blue Lagoon Beach Hotel & Company Limited
Rogers & Company Limited;
Ciel Limited (Consolidated Investments And Enterprises Limited)
Dry Cleaning Services Limited
First Global Funds Limited
Kerzner International Mauritius Holdings Limited
Swan General Limited
Pueblo Holdings Ltd
Mauritius Commercial Bank
New Mauritius Hotels Ltd
Panagora Marketing Ltd
AfrAsia Bank Ltd
Absa Bank Mauritius Ltd
- Advising Amethis Fund, which has taken a minority interest in a publicly listed Mauritius conglomerate operating in the hospitality and leisure industry, through two intermediary holding entities and about 14 operating subsidiaries.
- Advising Tensai Property Services Limited on the establishment and registration with the Stock Exchange of Mauritius Ltd. of its $250m medium-term note programme and the issuance of the first two series of listed notes under that programme.
- Successfully represented the Association of Hoteliers and Restaurants In Mauritius, who appealed against the grant of an Environmental Impact Assessment licence by the Minister of Social Security, National Solidarity, and Environment and Sustainable Development in respect of a fish farming project before the Environment and Land Use Appeal Tribunal.
Dentons (Mauritius) LLP
Dentons (Mauritius) LLP is distinguished by its financial services practice, representing several global banks operating in Mauritius and abroad. Managing partner Sivakumaren Mardemootoo also heads the banking and finance team. The group handles a mix of transactional and contentious work. Matters concerning governance issues, compliance, funds, private equity and M&A, specialisms of Priscilla Balgobin-Bhoyrul, also make up the firm's workload.
Sivakumaren Mardemootoo; Priscilla Balgobin-Bhoyrul
Other key lawyers:
Hemrani Guttoo; Shameek Jankee
‘Provide professional service, always available when needed, very good knowledge of the law in Mauritius.’
‘Proactiveness, clear communication, easily accessible at any time, flexible – Hemrani Guttoo and Shameek Jankee are recommended.’
‘They make themselves available and are dedicated to the profession.’
Airports of Mauritius Ltd/Airport Terminal Operations Ltd
Helios Investment Partners
State Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
Surya Capital Management LP (Cayman Islands)
Schole International Limited (UK)
Nomura International PLC
- Advised State Bank of Mauritius, on a syndicated lending for $100m to NMC Healthcare.
- Advising National Bank of Canada on its shareholding dispute concerning one company in which it has invested.
- Acting for Nomura concerning its investment in First Global Funds PCC (“FGFL”) in various court proceedings, including in an action seeking to perpetually prohibit the enforcement of the new constitution of FGFL which renders Nomura liable for the debts of FGFL.
Eversheds (Mauritius) Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) is best known for its commercial and corporate law practice, with special expertise in intellectual property. The group also regularly advises on transactional and regulatory matters. Michael Hough is a registered foreign lawyer and heads the financial services and securities department. Yannick Fok, who provides advice on corporate and commercial matters, and banking and finance lead Jean-Francois Boisvenu, are other key names. Nitish Hurnaum is highly regarded for dispute resolution. Tania Li is a stand-out associate.
Michael Hough; Yannick Fok; Jean-Francois Boisvenu; Nitish Hurnaum
Other key lawyers:
‘Experienced and international, excellent language skills’
‘Eversheds provides continuously excellent advice. Customer service is second to none: they are very responsive and take initiative.’
‘Tania Li is a superstar and deserves praise for her responsiveness and initiative. ’
‘Very good on administrative and company structures.’
‘Eversheds Sutherland and its team has a great understanding of the business of the client and is usually able to bring the facts to-the-point.’
‘The whole team is universally estimable and highly responsive and is usually able to achieve the best results in an effective way. Jean-Francois Boisvenu has excellent legal skills and is always helpful in many other matters. Yannick Fok is always able to develop a good strategy with the client.’
‘Good understanding of the prevailing commercial law and regulatory environment in Mauritius across a number of disciplines. Negotiable fees and billing transparency ’
‘Jean Francois Boisvenu gives insightful and practical commercial advice as opposed to cut-and-paste opinions. Very well versed in financial services/markets. Prompt turn-around times. ’
‘Yannick Fok is a very competent stand-out partner. ’
Cim Finance Ltd
MaxCity Asset Managers
H.V Holdings Limited
Aspen Global Incorporated
Hahei Overseas Ltd
Rogers Group Provident Association
- Assisting the Rogers Group Association, a private health plan provider in Mauritius, in respect of an investigation launched by the Competition Commission of Mauritius concerning suspected collusive practices between an association of private health plan providers and administrators (including the Association), certain other insurance providers and related enterprises.
- Advising B59 on a term-loan agreement with BCP Bank (Mauritius), forming part of the Groupe Banque Centrale Populaire, for the financing of the construction of a hotel consisting of 84 rooms, eight pool villas and other recreational amenities.
- Assisted Mauritius Commercial Bank as facility agent, senior lender, and security agent in relation to a syndicated loan provided to New Futures in respect of the ‘Domaine de Grand Baie’ project.
Part of the DLA Africa network, Juristconsult Chambers stands out for its corporate, banking, finance and transactional work. The team is particularly experienced in the representation of local and foreign banks (especially from the US and the UK) in regard to global transactions. The data protection and tax departments are also highly regarded. Transactions and public law expert Marc Hein and managing partner Nicolas Richard are the key contacts; Abdool Rahim Salehmohamed is also noted.
Marc Hein; Nicolas Richard
Other key lawyers:
Abdool Rahim Salehmohamed; Shalinee Dreepaul Halkhoree
‘The DLA Piper Africa/Juristconsult Chambers team is exceptional as to its detailed approach, creative solutions, availability and interaction with clients. This team is very thorough in its analysis.’
‘Availability is phenomenal. The team was willing to have conference calls on Saturday mornings during several months and work through the nights to ensure a successful closing.’
‘The DLA Piper Africa/Juristconsult Chambers team ranks in the top 10% of firms in relation to detailed approach, creative solutions, availability and interaction with clients. Abdool Rahim Salemohamed embodies the profile of the ideal local counsel in complicated international financings: knowledgeable on local law, regulations and practice, capable, willing to explain to us when a U.S. solution would not work in Mauritius, available, diligent and committed to see the transaction close.’
‘In-person, attentive, individualised service. Abdool Rahim Salehmohamed stood out as highly professional, responsive, on-point and a kind, enthusiastic person to work with.’
‘Juristconsult Chambers has a good reputation in the market. Abdool Rahim Salehmohamed provides succinct and commercially focused advice.’
‘Abdool Rahim Salehmohamed was accessible and efficient in the delivery of the legal advice and documentation.’
‘Abdool Salehmohamed is easy to connect with. Excellent deal understanding, amazing engagement.’
‘Very reactive team, ready to provide support during the weekend and at short notice, with effective handover between partners to ensure ongoing support. Rapid appreciation of the situation, results oriented.’
Mauritius Commercial Bank
Crédit Agricole Corporate
European Investment Fund
Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
Credit Industriel et Commercial
Erste Group Bank AG
Engen Petroleum (Pty) Limited (South Africa)
Tauber Solar Gruppe
Branswood Investment Ltd
Africa Tech Holding Ltd
OPIC [Now Development Finance Corporation]
- Advised OPIC (now DFC) on its investment in Leapfrog Emerging Consumer Fund, LP, one of the largest private equity funds raised by a dedicated impact fund manager to date.
- Advising several financial bodies, including Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited & Credit Industrial et Commercial for Aircraft lease, on the first JOLCO transaction involving several jurisdictions in relation to securities of Air Mauritius and its enforceability under Mauritian law for an aircraft which will be registered and operated outside Mauritius.
- Advising Tauber Solar Gruppe on its investments in a solar farm and necessary collaterals to secure repayment of a number of loans including thorough due diligence.
5 St James Court is a highly recognised set of chambers with a number of highly regarded practitioners, including head of chambers Ravindra Chetty and transactions expert Avinash Sunassee, who have appeared in cases of national importance and in international arbitration.
Ravindra Chetty; Avinash Sunassee
Air Mauritius Limited
Bank of Mauritius
Financial Services Commission
British High Commission
Australian High Commission
State Trading Corporation
Economic Development Board
Grant Thornton (Mauritius)
BCP Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
Banque Pictet & Cie SA
- Representing State Trading Corporation in a first-of-its-kind case in Mauritius regarding an application to set aside a provisional order obtained ex parte by Betamax.
- Acting for Mauritius Telecom in its appeal against the decision of the Supreme Court of Mauritius which held it to be jointly liable with four other entities.
- Representing the Central Electricity Board in relation to an appeal before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council against a decision of the Supreme Court of Mauritius which made a declaration that actions of each Appellant Ministry were judicially reviewable as it had rejected a project for the implementation and operation of a coal power plant in Mauritius.
Uteem Chambers stands out for its expertise in domestic and international tax law, and for assistance it provides to international clients with issues arising in the banking and finance, corporate, securities, and trusts laws. Muhammad Reza Cassam Uteem is the name to note.
Muhammad Reza Cassam Uteem
Essar Global Fund Limited
GE Capital Global Energy Investments B.V
Manipal Education (Mauritius) Private Ltd
Dovetail Investment Management
Varanium Focus Fund
Actis 4 PCC
Fuel Transport Holdings Ltd
ABN AMRO Bank N.V., Singapore Branch
African Development Bank
Norfund – The Norwegian Investment Fund for Developing Countries
Yes Bank Limited
Export Development Canada
Golden Agri International Pte Ltd
- Advise African Development Bank on an investment in a fund which is a limited partnership having deal value of $25m.
- Advised YES Bank Limited on a lending transaction of $2m.
- Advised 21st Century Fox (Asia) on the cancellation of issued class B shares.
Venture Law is renowned for its cross-border transactions practice, with corporate, banking and finance expertise in both Africa and Asia. Key practitioner Sameer Tegally focuses on finance and trusts matters.
YKJ Legal, headed by Yuvraj Juwaheer, handles transactions and is especially recognised for its activity in banking, investment funds, trusts and regulatory issues. The group is a member of Alfa International, a global network of independent law firms. Corporate and commercial lawyer Varsha Boodhoo and Vikram Seesunkur, who has vast experience assisting international banks, borrowers and private clients, are the names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Varsha Boodhoo; Vikram Seesunkur
SSG Capital Management Group
China Development Bank
EPE Capital Partners
- Advised EPE Capital on a renounceable rights offer of 100 million Ethos Capital A ordinary shares at a price of ZAR7.50 per share.
- Acted for Ethos Capital on a renounceable rights offer of 100 million Ethos Capital A ordinary shares at a price of ZAR7.50 per share.
CHANCERY HOUSE (SUITE 508-509)
Chambers of A.R.M.A. Peeroo SC GOSK is known for its advocacy skills in cross-border corporate disputes as well as arbitration proceedings. Abdool Razack Peeroo is a leading counsel with longstanding expertise in finance, insurance, offshore corporations and trusts. Jamsheed Peeroo is a highly regarded litigator.
Abdool Razack Peeroo
Other key lawyers:
‘This is a fantastic practice. Jamsheed Peeroo is an extremely capable counsel and the entire practice is incredibly efficient, with a diverse practice for domestic and international law.’
‘Peeroo Chambers feels like a very progressive firm with excellent tech capabilities. Jamsheed Peeroo is calm, thorough, and the counsel you want on your team.’
Euler Hermes France
Compagnie de Sécurité Privée et Industrielle
Nishith Desai Associates
Credit Agricole Leasing & Factoring
Pride Fishing Ltd
- Acting for Compagnie de Sécurité Privée et Industrielle SARL (CSPI Sarl) as lead counsel in resisting an appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council (UK) under the International Arbitration Act.
- Representing Euler Hermes as lead counsel in several insurance-related cross-border litigation.
- Advising the Socota Group on Covid-19-related internal adjustments and commercial agency.
IPvocate Africa Law Firm Cabinet d’Avocats Ltd
Boutique firm IPvocate Africa Law Firm Cabinet d’Avocats Ltd focuses on the whole spectrum of IP advice in Africa. The practice is led by Marius Schneider, whose international competence and wide European network is regarded by clients. His expertise includes trade marks, patents, designs, copyrights, domain names, plant breeders’ rights, know-how, and confidential information.
Other key lawyers:
Nora Ho Tu Nam
‘Marius Schneider’s team has outstanding qualities and competences. Marius himself is multilingual (English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish) and has very wide and influential networks.’
‘This firm’s practice is unique because the lawyers specialize in a wide range of legal practice which cuts across Africa especially as it relates to Intellectual Property law. The Partners and associates are well-organised and have a great grasp of the law and legal issues across Africa.
‘The firm relates professionally and cordially with external lawyers and ensures that clients’ matters are treated with the utmost professionalism and confidentiality.’
‘Marius Schneider is a great partner who is well versed in IP Law in Africa. He is friendly, inspiring and is great at his job. He responds to his correspondences in great time and can always be reached. He makes it easy for projects to be carried out without stress.’
‘The team is very responsive and dependable. They have an extensive footprint across Africa therefore they are able to handle cross-border matters seamlessly.’
‘Marius Schneider is outstanding in IP enforcement matters. He is very dependable, efficient and very solution oriented. He is also extremely adaptable and has held a number of online customs training with brand holders and the Mauritius Revenue Authority when in person meetings were not possible due to the Covid restrictions. ’
‘In addition to the expertise, skills and knowledge on IP enforcement in Africa, the personal approach and prompt attention to matters. Marius Schneider and the team of IPvocate Africa Legal Advisers Ltd love what they are doing and are passionate about their clients and agents and attorneys they work with. Relationships are of the highest priority.’
‘Marius Schneider has passion, sincerity, enthusiasm and expertise in Africa. Nora Ho Tu Nam: her passion for research is evident from her exceptional knowledge of IP enforcement in Africa.’
‘All-round IP firm having expertise in all African countries. Strong practice in anti-counterfeiting cases.’
Promasidor Group of Companies
Andreas Stihl AG & Co KG
Tana Africa Capital
Honda Motor Europe Limited
- Acted for a German manufacturer of handheld power tools in a case in Nigeria involving trade mark hijacking and stealing of original products worth $1m, freezing of bank accounts and criminal prosecution of the trade mark troll.
- Represented a French multinational pharmaceutical company in enforcement against counterfeit and falsified medicine all over Africa.
- Advised a leading African foundation with its rebranding all over Africa: checking the availability of the name and assisting in obtaining trade mark protection for the charity’s name.
PLCJ Ltd. has a significant track record on matters of both Mauritian and international law, especially French and European, and expertise in the legal systems of countries that surround the Indian Ocean. The team specialises in corporate and M&A, IP and competition law. Founding partner Mathilde Parent Lagesse is qualified in both France and Mauritius.
Mathilde Parent Lagesse
Other key lawyers:
Compass Venture Capital (ENL)
Inside Capital Partners
Omnicane Management and Consultancy
- Assisted Phoenix Beverages in the application and further discussions with the Competition Commission Mauritius for an immunity programme for resale price maintenance practices.
- Assisted Inside Capital Partners with putting into place an investment for the purpose of partly financing the extension project of Latitude Group, an African-based hospitality group.
- Advised R.Mathieu (opticians) on the sale of part of its shares to Essilor International.
Chambers of Urmila Boolell SC
Imtihaz Mamoojee Chambers
Imtihaz Mamoojee Chambers is a predominantly civil and commercial set of chambers with a particular focus on commercial litigation, arbitration and transactional work, with members who also handle criminal cases. Imtihaz Mamoojee stands out for his insurance and banking practice.