Appleby provides a full-service offering to international banks, investment funds and listed companies, as well as local clients, state-owned enterprises and high net-worth individuals. The corporate team, headed up by managing partner Malcolm Moller , is well-versed in advising on corporate, commercial and finance transactions including M&A and private equity, while the dispute resolution team led by civil, commercial and trust litigator Yahia Nazroo, handles cases including shipping and maritime litigation, fraud, asset tracing and shareholder disputes. Dushyant Ramdhur specialises in commercial litigation and international arbitration in various matters including insurance and insolvency. Recent areas of growth for the firm include emerging technology and fintech advisory capabilities.
Leading firms in Mauritius
Malcolm Moller; Yahia Nazroo
Other key lawyers:
Dushyant Ramdhur; Sharmilla Bhima
‘One of the best practices in the country compared to other law firms in terms of market position, excellent service and competencies.’
‘The team has shown proficiency in all aspects of our matters and recommended practical approaches for us.’
‘Yahia Nazroo and Dushyant Ramdhur are professional, knowledgeable, and communicate in a timely manner. They are great attorneys to work with.’
‘Our firm works closely with partner, Yahia Nazroo who is an excellent lawyer with specialised knowledge in the business we operate in. Yahia Nazroo and his legal team at Appleby are extremely professional, well organised and available.’
‘Appleby Mauritius is a very legally and commercially aware firm. They understand the client’s need as not just being to know the law applicable to that the law is intended to enable a specific commercial purpose. I was especially impressed with their network of contacts and their ability to collaborate with other advisors that were required on the transaction as well as the Regulators.’
‘Sharmilla Bhima has been excellent in her service delivery. She impressed me with her ability to appreciate both the legal and commercial aims of the client. She was proactive in guiding on aspects that we had not thought of, but which would have an impact on our transaction and timeline to closing. She was available to discuss and her turnaround time was commendable.’
‘The firm provides a professional service. They are responsive with a good turnaround time. All requisite documents are produced accurately and the team attend to all formalities in order to facilitate the implementation of multi-jurisdictional transactions.’
‘Dushyant Ramdhur is a good strategist and commercial in outlook with a thorough approach. Yahia Nazroo is a calm litigation specialist with a good knowledge of local and offshore law. Yantee Hurnaurn-Calcutteea is a very hard working junior.’
Azure Power Global Limited
Azure Power Energy
Asedor Finance Limited
Canada Life International Limited
MTC Sports and leisure Ltd (MTCSL)
Partners in Performance Global Solutions (PIP)
Sheeny Worldwide Limited
The Carlyle Group
Financial Services Commission
Neon Liberty Emerging Funds LP (Neon)
Investec Bank Limited
Southern African Metals & Minerals Limited (SAMML) and African Metals Management Services Limited (AMMS)
International Finance Corporation
The Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank Ltd
Global Loan Agency Services Limited (‘GLAS’) & GLAS Trust Corporation Limited as Agent and Security Agent respectively (Project Trident)
- Advised CA Magnum Holdings (Mauritian Issuer) and other Mauritian borrowers who were part of a mezzanine and senior financing transaction worth $1bn. Also acted as noteholder representative for the senior bonds issue.
- Advised Canada Life in relation to the enforcement of a settlement agreement recorded between the Canada Life and Metatron Global Fund and Metatron Global Asset Managers Ltd.
- Advised Azure Power Global Limited, a Mauritian company listed on the New York Stock Exchange, for the rights offering of its equity shares to raise proceeds of up to $250m.
BLC Robert & Associates
BLC Robert & Associates, a member of the Africa Legal Network, is a leading firm offering comprehensive legal services, particularly in the banking and finance space, to private clients, global corporates and financial institutions. Managing partner Iqbal Rajahbalee SC leads in litigation matters alongside partner André Robert and Mushtaq Namdarkhan, who acts in shareholder, banking and construction disputes as well as restructuring and insolvency matters. Co-founding partner Jason Harel is ‘outstanding in corporate law’ including acquisitions, sale of shares and investments. Jean-Eric Sauzier is noted for his experience in advising financial institutions across a range of sectors. Fayaz Hajee Abdoula is another key member of the team.
Iqbal Rajahbalee; Jason Harel; Jean-Eric Sauzier; André Robert
Other key lawyers:
Mushtaq Namdarkhan; Fayaz Hajee Abdoula
‘BLC have the depth in skills and resources for company, financing and securities laws. They also up to date with the relevant practical knowledge. Core strengths of the team include reputation, reliability and cross-border multi-disciplinary expertise.’
‘Jean Vincent da Cruz, Yashna Munbauhal and Valerie Bisasur are knowledgeable, accessible and approachable. Andre Robert is reliable and produces top-notch quality work. He is a fully trusted specialist in advisory and litigation work. Jason Harel is a powerful leader and respected. He is outstanding in corporate law matters, is a lateral thinker and offers fresh insights from a business and tax perspective.’
‘Fayaz Abdoula is a top performer in M&A matters and excellent in the delivery of work.’
‘The team are professional, responsive, have a good understanding of the business needs of clients and provide clear and reliable guidance.’
‘The partners have significant knowledge and skills in vast areas. I have worked with Mushtaq Namdarkhan, Jason Harel and Iqbal Rajahbalee. The particular attention to details is very appreciated. Mushtaq Namdarkhan is impressive and communicates in a concise manner. Jason Harel has good knowledge of various industries and strategies. Iqbal Rajahbalee is able to summarise comprehensive matters well.’
‘This is by far the top firm in Mauritius. The members of the firm complement each other well and have great client facing skills. They have excellent communication skills, are commercially driven and offer pragmatic solutions. This is my go-to firm in Mauritius.’
‘Jason Harel is a brilliant business minded lawyer that is well connected and a team player. Iqbal Rajahbalee is a highly respected litigator. Mushtaq Namdharkan is bright and client oriented. Bhavna Ramsuran displays excellent energy and drive. Andre Robert is a brilliant litigation lawyer, has an incisive mind and is focussed on achieving the goal. Up and coming partner Fayaz Hajee Abdoula has great client skills, experience and enthusiasm.’
‘There are a number of key individuals that we work with closely, Shane Mungur and Valerie Bissau in particular. They are both very responsive, display excellent market knowledge and have a good grasp of all relevant legal issues. We recommend this firm to other clients for their legal matters.’
LOLC Holdings PLC
The United Basalt Products Ltd
Endeavour Mining Plc
Happy World Ltd|Happy World Property Ltd
J.P. Morgan Securities plc, Société Générale and The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
Norsad Finance Limited
Lendable Asset Management LLC
ALCB Fund /FEI-OGEF
Mauritius Port Authority
Airports of Mauritius Ltd
Lightspeed India Partners IV, LLC (the ‘Fund’)
- Acted as Mauritian counsel to the banks (J.P. Morgan Securities, Société Générale and The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited) investing and financing Mauritian based entity Axian Telecom through its first debut bond supported by anchor orders from development finance institutions CDC, DEG, EAIF and IFC and related revolving credit facilities.
- Advised Happy World and Happy World Property on the acquisition of two business centres operating in Port Louis and Ebene in Mauritius, under the Regus trademark, a world-wide leader in business centres, offering serviced office facilities to customers.
- Acted as the Mauritian counsel to Lightspeed India Partners in setting up a private equity fund in Mauritius in the form of a company.
ENSafrica, managed by Thierry Koenig, offers expertise in cross-border transactional, disputes and corporate work. The firm advises local and international clients in the financial services, telecommunications and pharmaceuticals sectors on loan facilities, securities, and complex international arbitration and commercial litigation. The firm also advises on restructuring and M&A deals. Highly praised Maxime Sauzier SC heads the disputes and employment practice, with junior counsel Shrivan Dabee specialising in commercial, competition and insurance litigation. Martine de Fleuriot de la Coliniere leads on matters concerning the Indian Ocean commercial and corporate sector.
Other key lawyers:
Martine de Fleuriot de la Colinière; Maxime Sauzier SC; Shrivan Dabee
Pueblo Holdings Ltd
Dynamic India Funds III
Visa International Service Association
First Global Funds Limited PCC
The Republic of India
Mauritius Commercial Bank
- Represented Pueblo Holdings in an action for the enforcement of an international arbitral award following the breach of a charterparty.
- Advising and representing First Global Funds Limited PCC and Weston International Asset Recovery Company Limited in a string of cross-border litigation.
- Acted for the Indian government in challenging an arbitral award delivered by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague in favour of Cairn Energy PLC and Cairn UK Holdings Limited.
Dentons Mauritius LLP
Dentons Mauritius LLP excels in advising on capital markets, banking and finance matters. The firm offers commercial and disputes services to clients across a range of sectors including aviation, telecoms, real estate, mining and financial services. The firm has increasingly advised on acquisitions, construction and investment arbitrations as well as obtaining licenses for fintech companies. Managing partner and banking and finance head Sivakumaren Mardemootoo jointly leads the team with senior partner and corporate, finance and tax expert Priscilla Balgobin-Bhoyrul.
Sivakumaren Mardemootoo; Priscilla Balgobin-Bhoyrul
Other key lawyers:
Devalingum Gopalla; Shameek Jankee
‘A strength of the team is that they are always available and can be relied on to help their clients. They work in a structured and organised manner, allowing us to direct our queries to the correct individuals.’
‘Dentons go above and beyond when servicing an account or dealing with a case. Their team are efficient, knowledgeable and smart. You know you are in safe hands when dealing with them.’
‘The team’s brilliance is driven by the culture created by the directors which is unlike anything I have seen in other law firms. This is present throughout each level of the business, the investment in their people and the loyalty they generate. Sivakumaren Mardemootoo is a standout partner, his brilliance is rare and admirable.’
‘The team are experts, competent and reliable. They pay attention to detail, anticipate any issues and offer sound advice.’
‘Shameek Jankee has demonstrated excellent technical and commercial acumen across a broad range of legal issues, providing invaluable advice to our firm’s operations. He has been consistently collaborative and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Dentons Mauritius LLP is the leading law firm in Mauritius, with an unrivalled team capable of offering a wide range of resources as well as a very strong network across the full private and public spectrum. This team provides excellent services.’
‘Sivakumaren Mardemootoo offers Dentons clients a formidable, solution-oriented and second-to-none service in corporate transactions across the private and public sectors in Mauritius. There are several other individuals within Dentons Mauritius with whom we work on a continuous basis that are young, dynamic, proactive, highly professional, and competent across a variety of issues.’
‘Responsive and expert knowledge in all legal areas.’
Grit Real Estate Income Group
Capital Com SV Investments Limited
Mauritius Investment Corporation Ltd
Gateway Real Estate Africa
ONS FinServ Ltd
- Assisting Grit Real Estate Income Group on a project involving real estate and corporate due diligence across 10 jurisdictions (Mozambique, Uganda, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Mali, and Bahrain and the BVI) to compile a full consolidated report for the sponsors and ultimately, the lender for a capital raise.
- Representing African Network Information Centre on 23 cases relating to injunctions, defamation and contempt of court process, among other issues. Successfully assisted in setting some of the cases aside.
- Representing Airports of Mauritius Co Ltd in a matter pertaining to the enforcement of an advance payment guarantee in favour of the client, resulting from a breach of the contractor’s obligations against a bank listed on the Development and Enterprise Market of the Stock Exchange of Mauritius.
Eversheds (Mauritius) Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)
Eversheds (Mauritius) Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) stands out for its expertise in intellectual property, handling both enforcement registration and the protection of trade marks. The team has strong transactional and advisory capabilities, assisting with M&A deals, cross-border listings as well as securitisation vehicles. Michael Hough is the financial services and securities lead, while Jean-Francois Boisvenu is the banking and finance head, acting for financial institutions on international transactions. Yannick Fok, heads up the corporate and commercial team, with experience in commercial litigation and cross border transactions. International tax and M&A specialist Renand Pretorius is also noted. Nitish Hurnaum is another key lawyer.
Michael Hough; Yannick Fok; Jean-Francois Boisvenu; Nitish Hurnaum; Renand Pretorius
Investec Bank (Mauritius)
SPX Flow Ltd
Premium Tobacco Holdings Limited
RMB International (Mauritius) Ltd – First Rand Bank
Mauritius Commercial Bank
First Abu Dhabi Bank
Bank of China
DHL Global Forwarding (Mauritius) Ltd
Ocorian Corporate Services Ltd
Chartered Wealth Solutions
Santam Structured Resinsurance Ltd PCC
Mourant Global Services
Engel and Voelkel
Brait Investment Holdings Ltd
Constance Hotel Group
Rolls Royce LLP
- Acted for Taylor Smith Investment Limited in acquiring the Indian ocean arm of Lafarge Holcim Cement for a purchase price of $140m.
- Acted as Mauritian counsel for Brait Investment Holdings Limited’s dual listing of its ZAR 3bn 5% Senior Unsecured Exchangeable Bonds on the Main Board of the JSE and the Official Market of the Stock Exchange of Mauritius.
- Acted as sole Mauritian counsel to Sirius Petroleum Plc, an Africa focused oil & gas production and development company, in relation to its acquisition of a shareholding in the joint venture company, COPDC Petroleum Development Company Limited.
The team at Juristconsult Chambers, member of the DLA Piper Africa network, is best known for its comprehensive offering across the corporate, banking and finance areas. Acting for domestic and international clients including companies, borrowers and financiers, the firm handles M&A, private investment funds and digital assets work. The team is co-headed by founding partner and business law expert Marc Hein, and managing partner Nicolas Richard, who has experience in corporate, commercial and financing transactions. Highly praised Abdool Rahim Salehmohamed focuses on investment and private equity transactions, while Shalinee Dreepaul Halkhoree heads the data privacy practice.
Marc Hein; Nicolas Richard
Other key lawyers:
Abdool Rahim Salehmohamed; Shalinee Dreepaul Halkhoree
‘I found the Juristconsult team to be approachable. Their advice on a complex transactions and knowledge of the applicable law was practical yet detailed.’
‘I worked mostly with Shalinee Dreepaul. Her knowledge and understanding of the applicable law and commercial issues was outstanding.’
‘The team was an excellent private equity funds counsel, gave thorough advice and applied international funds expertise as well as local law and regulatory expertise.’
‘I worked with partner Abdool Rahim Salehmohamed. His attention to detail and issue-spotting capabilities led to the surfacing of due-diligence issues that we might have missed otherwise.’
Africa Conservation & Communities Tourism Fund, L.P.
Marsh & McLennan Companies
International Finance Corporation
United States International Development Finance Corporation
AerCap Ireland Ltd
Medco Energi Global Pte. Ltd.
Acorn Project Two LLP
Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank
Nedbank Limited, acting through its London Branch
Citibank, N.A., Hong Kong Branch
GC Credit Opportunities Fund II, L.P.
Accenture Services Mauritius
- Advised on the structure and the launch of the Africa Conservation & Communities Tourism Fund LP, which was set up in response to COVID-19 to alleviate the financial stress of conservation tourism operators (including camps, safaris and lodges), allowing for the safeguarding of Africa’s wildlife areas. The Fund has a large NGO, The Nature Conservancy, as an anchor investor.
- Assisted Marsh & McLennan Companies in an internal restructuring involving the transfer of shares to eliminate a large number of intermediary holding companies to make repatriation of cash easier in India.
- Acted as local counsel to Infra Holdco 1, a shareholder of Egypt Solar B.V. (a guarantor under a facility agreement) in the review of several transaction documents including an equity subordinated loan security agreement and the provision of a capacity and enforceability legal opinion.
The offering at Bowmans Mauritius extends from corporate matters to capital markets, banking and finance and private equity. The team is well known for structuring global business vehicles for funds and financial services providers. Managing partner Fazil Hossenkhan is highly praised for his transactional experience. Gilles Athaw heads the banking and finance team and has experience in cross-border financing, corporate restructuring and M&A deals. Partner Rajiv Gujadhur specialises in restructuring and investment funds. Shianee Calcutteea is also noted.
Fazil Hossenkhan; Shianee Calcutteea; Gilles Athaw; Rajiv Gujadhur
Other key lawyers:
Tide Afica LP
The Mauritius Commercial Bank
The State Bank Of Mauritius
Investec Bank Limited
The Standard Bank of South Africa
Stanbic Bank Kenya Limited
Grit Real Estate Income Group
Holcim Group Services Limited
Gateway Real Estate Africa Ltd
Victoria Capital Management (Mauritius) Ltd
Verdant Frontiers LLC
Solon Capital Holdings
Fourth Generation Capital Group Limited
Adenia Partners Ltd
Oxygen Hub Ltd
Verdant Ventures LLC
Hesabu Capital GP
Chambers of Urmila Boolell SC
Chambers of Urmila Boolell SC deploys transactional expertise across the insurance, finance and real estate sectors, on top of the set's litigation practice. The team is led by founder Urmila Boolell SC who has experience in multi-jurisdictional disputes and commercial matters.
Urmila Boolell; Willem Jansen Van Rensburg
Other key lawyers:
‘This is definitely the most professional chambers I have worked with. I was impressed by the approach the team took and their close monitoring of the matter. They also kept me informed of the strategy and any developments. The team adopts a process driven approach.’
‘The team approached the matter with meetings to discuss the strategy and stuck to their grounds in court. They are cooperative and respond with action in a timely manner.’
‘Urmilla Boolell communicates well and has a good attitude. She provides a summary of how the case will be handled and what steps are involved. This provides clients with reassurance.’
Lead Solutions Wealth Management
Khiatan & Co.
K M Chetty Properties
E.A.L. Man Hin & Sons Ltd
Optimind Mauritius Ltd
Princes Tuna Mauritius Ltd.
EIH Flight Services Limited
Axys Investments Partners
Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
Gulab Patil and others
- Acting for plaintiffs in lawsuit entered into by a group of 69 shareholder investors against DIF III, Sanne Mauritius, ICICI Venture Fund Management, ICICI Bank and Western India Trustee & Executor Ltd for fraudulent investor projections, misrepresentation and tortious liability.
- Acting before the Supreme Court of Mauritius for Arvee Family Foundation (a Liechtenstein foundation), in order to setting aside a provisional order granted by the Chief Justice granting the recognition and enforcement of an arbitral award delivered by the London Court of International Arbitration in Switzerland.
- Successfully advised Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, a five star hotel, in the recovery of an insurance claim (worth MUR 72 million) for the loss of business profit as a result of covid-19.
IPvocate Africa Law Firm Cabinet d’Avocats Ltd
IPvocate Africa Law Firm Cabinet d’Avocats Ltd is a boutique law firm specialising in the protection, management and enforcement of intellectual property rights. This firm has been active domestically and in other African markets in advisory and litigation work relating to registering trademarks, infringements and anti-counterfeiting measures. The ‘highly experienced and professional’ Marius Schneider leads the team, offering his extensive experience in intellectual property concerning national and international clients.
‘Marius Schneider is energetic and always adopts a positive approach. He does everything he can possibly do to bring cases to successful conclusions. His steadfast professional ethics involve high moral standards and integrity. He is dedicated to achieving the client’s goals and objectives. He is absolutely reliable, honest, easy to understand, competent and attentive to detail.’
‘Working with this firm involved excellent processes and management systems combined with expert knowledge and efficient fast service.’
‘Marius Schneider is highly experienced and professional.’
Promasidor Group of Companies
Andreas Stihl AG & Co KG
Tana Africa Capital
Honda Motor Europe Limited
- Assisted Promasidor, one of the four African unicorns, in trademark administration and enforcement across Africa.
- Assisted Andreas Stihl AG & Co KG in Nigeria in criminal and civil litigation against a notorious trademark troll in a matter involving several million USD in damages.
- Assisted a leading pharmaceutical company with the filing of more than a hundred trademarks across Africa.
The team at Orison Legal consists of transactional advisers and dispute resolution practitioners specialising in commercial and corporate law. The firm regularly advises clients across the financial services, real estate and construction sectors. Recent work has involved cross border disputes and preparing loans and securities. Head of team, Rajesh Bucktowonsing is an established practitioner with experience in insolvency matters. Bilshan Nursimulu, a ‘dedicated and very knowledgeable’ barrister, and corporate and commercial lawyer, Tania Li, are also noted.
Other key lawyers:
Bilshan Nursimulu; Tania Li
‘Orison combines the talent and energy of a good young barrister practitioner (Bilshan Nursimulu) with the practice of a long-established solicitor (Rajesh Bucktowonsing). It is a welcomed addition to the Mauritian litigation landscape.’
‘Bilshan is a junior I work with regularly. He is thorough, knowledgeable and thinks clearly. I am sure he will bring these qualities to his advocacy. Rajesh is experienced and someone you can rely on. This is a good combination.’
‘Tania Li is a great lawyer. She is practical and gets things done. We enjoy working with her.’
CIM Financial Services Ltd
Cairn Energy Plc and Cairn UK Holdings Limited
Norscot Rig Management Pvt. Limited (Mauritius)
Silver Bank Limited
JTC Employer Solutions Trustee Limited
Mauritius Duty Free Paradise
Ebene Square Ltd
Aquasantec International Ltd
National Property Fund Limited
Cartwheel Investments Ltd
- Acting for Cairn Energy group on the enforcement of a $1.4 billion investor-state arbitral award against the Republic of India.
- Acting for Cim Financial Services in respect of the acquisition of Tsusho Capital (Mauritius) Ltd, a vehicle financing and insurance agency services company, forming part of the CFAO and Toyota Group.
- Representing The National Property Fund Limited in various disputes concerning the repayment to the victims of an alleged quasi-Ponzi scheme involving investments in the Super Cash Back Gold and Bramer Asset Management Ltd.
PLCJ Ltd. is distinguished by its ability to assist clients with French and Mauritian business law. The firm specialises in corporate and commercial matters, intellectual property, and anti-trusts work. Founding partner and registered arbitrator Mathilde Parent Lagesse heads the team with Ornella Bisquay who contributes competition, corporate and commercial expertise, as well as handling litigation.
Mathilde Parent Lagesse; Ornella Bisquay
‘The team have a very strong and accurate understanding of the commercial needs of their clients.’
‘Mathilde Parent Lagesse and Ornella Bisquay are both very adaptable and precise in their solutions.’
‘The firm provides expert advice.’
Katapult Group Norway
The Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Inside Capital Partners and Inside Capital Fund
- Assisted Katapult Group Norway with the drafting of legal documentation regarding the structuration of and investments through bonds issue in its first start-up accelerator in Mauritius.
- Advised Inspectforless Ltd, a Mauritian start-up, with the acquisition of 60% of the shareholding structure of the company by Apave Group, a French multinational.
- Successfully represented the former manager of a French company which had gone into receivership with a claim raised by the appointed liquidator on the grounds of deficiency of assets.