TMT in Malaysia
Christopher & Lee Ong 'takes time to understand the client's business and provide appropriate solutions'. With expertise spanning the technology, telecoms and media sectors the group, it assists a range of domestic and international tradition companies, industry disruptors and market entrants across a range of corporate, commercial, contentious and regulatory issues. 'Affable' practice head Deepak Pillai attracts praise for his 'deep knowledge' with experience spanning IT contracts, e-commerce, cloud services, outsourcing, cybersecurity, data protection and telecoms. Other names to note include Intan Haryati, who is highlighted for advising on information technology contracts, electronic and mobile commerce services; Kuok Yew Chen, who specialises in corporate transactions, commercial and competition advice within the technology, media and telecoms sectors, while Yong Shih Han who focuses on information security and data protection. The team's media and entertainment practice has benefited from the arrival of Anissa Maria Anis from an in house role at media company Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad.
‘Deepak Pillai goes the extra mile to ensure that clients are satisfied with his firm’s work.‘
The Association of Banks in Malaysia
The Data User Forum for the Communications and Multimedia Sector
- Assisted an arm of one of the largest banking groups in Malaysia on drafting and negotiating the agreements relating to the replacement of core IT system.
- Instructed by financial services group on a review of the Electronic Commerce Act 2006.
- Advised a European multinational engineering and technology company on contractual documents and advised on relevant local compliance requirements relating to a Software as a Service and an Internet of Things marketplace.
- Advised an American Fortune 500 multinational technology company on the laws and regulations applicable to the use of cloud services specifically in the telecommunications and media sector in Malaysia.
- Assisted a Malaysian universal bank with a proposed digitalisation of banking processes and documentation.
The TMT group at Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill expertise spans the IT and telecoms sector, with capabilities to handle regulatory, compliance and licensing advice, transactional matters as well as project finance and dispute resolution. Practice head Adlin Abdul Majid is a key name for transactional and regulatory matters, while G. Vijay Kumar handles a range of telecoms and IT disputes; Bahari Yeow also focuses on IT disputes. The team's fintech expertise has been further strengthened by the arrival of Raphael Tay Choon Tien from Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff.
Adlin Abdul Majid
‘They are very efficient and provide comprehensive advice which will often cover the commercial and litigation perspective and very practical recommendation given.‘
‘They are calm, collected and available 24/7. You know that your case is in good hands.‘
‘The team provides very practical advice for foreign companies.‘
Skrine offers a 'good practical market insight' across the IT, telecoms and media sectors. The team has the ability to handle a range of regulatory compliance issues, including relating to telecoms projects and over-the-top services, data centres for cloud computing services and leasing of sub-sea and terrestrial fibers, as well as commercial, contractual and transactional matters throughout IT and technology. The 'very responsive' practice head Charmayne Ong's expertise spans intellectual property and TMT, while Jillian Chia Yan Ping and Natalie Lim Yen Kuan are key names for privacy and data protection. The group also benefits from the ability to leverage its disputes team, within which Khoo Guan Huat has particular IP and TMT sector experience. Neo Hwee Yong left the practice to Bird & Bird in Hong Kong.
‘Skrine offers practical insight into the legal and regulatory framework of the media sector in Malaysia.‘
Tong Lai Ling
‘Combines knowledge of IT industry services, terminology and process with a good understanding of my company’s risk appetite and advise accordingly.‘
‘Tong Lai Ling ability to understand fast and provide good feedback and prompt responses.‘
Sime Darby Berhad
Talian Gerak Alih Sdn Bhd
- Advised a fibre optics manufacturer on a turnkey agreement in relation to a fiber optic cable system for the Sarawak International Internet Gateway.
- Assisted a global enterprise solutions provider with the implementation of a software-as-a-service model for a retail enterprise management solution for a department store based in Singapore, including drafting a software-as-a-service agreement.
- Advised the credit services arm of a department store on a licence and services agreement with a financial services technology provider in relation to the implementation of the ‘front end processing’ project, which involves the deployment, migration, installation and integration of the client’s existing systems to a new solution.
- Assisted a financial risk technology company with supply, development, installation, implementation, testing and maintenance of a merchant acquisition digitalisation project for CIMB.
The TMT at Wong & Partners has experience across a range of corporate, commercial, intellectual property, contentious and regulatory issues across the sectors. Recently, the group has been active advising on fintech regulatory matters, cryptocurrency, data privacy and artificial intelligence. The practice group benefits from the firm's strong intellectual property and dispute resolution practices which both benefit from Kherk Ying Chew's regulatory and commercial expertise. Chew jointly leads the practice alongside corporate, commercial and securities partner Brian Chia, who has experience assisting clients with data privacy, e-commerce, media distribution and telecoms law and licensing, and Adeline Wong, who focuses on several issues in the technology sector including telecommunications, semiconductor, tax and international trade.
Kherk Ying Chew; Brian Chia; Adeline Wong
GrabTaxi Holdings Pte Ltd
Adev Ventures Sdn Bhd
Tianshui Huatian Technology Co., Ltd
- Advised StashAway Malaysia on the successful application of its Capital Market Services Licence for Digital Investment Management in Malaysia.
- Acted for Tianshui Huatian Technology Co and its shareholder, Tianshui Huatian Electronics Group, on its pre-conditional voluntary conditional take-over of 428,553,254 shares of Unisem (M) Berhad.
- Assisted GrabTaxi Holdings with a multijurisdictional review of the application and impact of local competition laws on Grab’s IP agreements and IP assets generally.
- Advised Lunas Technologies on a copyright infringement suit concerning software used for palm oil estate management.
- Representing a Malaysian startup focusing in the field of human resource management systems Adev Ventures in a software copyright dispute relating.
Mohamed Ridza & Co is instructed by established telecoms and IT sector clients, as well as traditional clients, including those in the financial services sector, investing in and developing technology solutions, in a range of matters. In addition to its sector experience, the team is able to leverage its corporate, commercial, regulatory and data protection expertise. Mohamed Ridza Abdullah has particular experience assisting with fintech matters, while Mohamad Nazran Basirun advises on both IT contracts and multimedia and communication regulation.
Mohamed Ridza Abdullah; Mohamad Nazran Basirun
‘We appreciate their professionalism and commitment to deliver a very short turn around in technical issues.‘
Naqiz & Partners' experience in the technology, media and telecoms sector spans from advising on e-commerce issues, emerging technologies, data privacy and other regulatory compliance matters, as well assisting private equity and venture capital firms with technology ventures. Practice head Brian Lew also boasts intellectual property expertise.
- Advised Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation & Government of Malaysia on the digital free trade zone platform agreement and the platform user agreement in relation to setting up of the Malaysia digital free trade zone.
- Advised franchisee Srivijaya Sdn Bhd on the introduction of the Cold Stone Creamery line of ice cream products in Malaysia by Srivijaya, including the registration of all necessary franchise documentation.
- Assisted MyParcel Asia with a software development and licensing agreement with a courier service provider.
- Advised Microsoft on the local laws and regulations applicable to Microsoft’s Currency Stored Value.
- Instructed by Vodafone Group Enterprise to advise on all key applicable Malaysian telecommunications law and regulations as part of Vodafone’s Regulatory Compliance Register for Malaysia.
Rahmat Lim & Partners has experience across the entertainment, IT and telecoms sectors within which it advises its clients on a range of contractual, intellectual property, capital markets and corporate transactions. The practice combines strength from its intellectual property team, which is led by Pauline Khor, with its regulatory and compliance and financial services expertise, for which Wan Kai Chee is a key name to note.
Pauline Khor; Wan Kai Chee
The 'commercial and proactive' telecoms, media and technology sector practice group at Shearn Delamore & Co encompasses lawyers across multiple practice areas, including IP, financial services, corporate and M&A, tax and competition, to assist clients particularly with emerging issues across technology, media and communications. Intellectual property partner Timothy Siaw heads up the group which includes Janet Toh, who frequently advises on IT contracts; corporate and M&A partner Ng Swee Kee; litigator Rabindra S Nathan and Christina Kow, who focuses on financial services regulatory and data privacy issues.
Beam Mobility Holdings Pte Ltd
- Advising a Korean consortium formed by a leading automobile manufacturer and technology companies based in North Asia and the USA, on legal, regulatory and overall structuring advice for the proposed APAC-wide roll out of connected car services.
- Assisted a local company in Malaysia on the review, drafting and negotiation of consulting, implementation and cloud service agreements for a cloud-based SAP’s enterprise resource planning system.
- Advised e-scooter company Beam Mobility Holdings on the review agreements, including terms of service for the implementation of the Beam mobile application in Malaysia, and a service agreement for the procurement of necessary services.
- Advised GLC Development on its acquisition of innovative volumetric construction technology, including on filing for worldwide patent protection for the technology and advising on and drafting the licensing agreements for the same.
With 'in-depth industry knowledge', media and entertainment law boutique Shin Associates attracts praise for its 'passion in providing legal advice in a simple, easy to understand legal-explanation way' and 'reasonable professional fees'. The group has experience advising clients across the film, television, theatre, arts, literary and music industries on a range of corporate and commercial, employment, intellectual property matters. IP expert Jessie Tan heads up the team which includes Zoe Cheong, who has experience across a range of corporate, commercial and technology matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Shin team are uniquely placed in the South East Asian market focusing on Malaysia entertainment law and offer a first-class service.‘
‘Jessie Tan offers prompt feedback, is professional and is a specialist in the film industry.‘
‘They show passion in providing legal advice in a simple, easy to understand legal explanation way.‘
‘Jessie Tan is a strong stand-out performer, her considered and valuable advice is always factored into any tricky decisions we have to make.‘
‘Zoe Cheong is also a stand out Partner who always delivers required information in great timing.‘
‘Jessie Tan has the in-depth industry knowledge to provide us with the required advice. Her attentiveness, continuous follow-up and timeliness in responding to our request were most valued.‘
Enfiniti (M) Sdn Bhd
- Advised Enfiniti (M) Sdn Bhd on all matters relating to the preparation of production documentation for Ola Bola the Musical, including on the cast and crew agreements, releases and clearances to attending, and sponsorship matters.