Christopher & Lee Ong is a go-to firm across the construction, projects, infrastructure and energy sectors, both domestically and internationally. The practice has a strong track record advising on conventional and renewable energy power stations, roads and bridges, oil and gas, ports and rail systems and sewerage systems, as well as mines and mineral processing facilities. Project finance is another key area of work, as are project structuring and risk analysis, tendering procedures and disputes. Christopher Lee regularly handles government initiatives as well as private concessions, and supports clients throughout the lifecycle of a project. Siaw Wan Lim, whose practice focuses on energy projects as well as rail, joined from Wong & Partners. Chor Jack and Eileen Yeoh are both noted for petrochemical and refinery projects, and solar projects, respectively.
Projects and energy in Malaysia
‘In-depth knowledge about the issues relating to power industry and also well-versed with the operations of power generation plants and utilities such as river water treatment plants etc.’
‘Very responsive to issues raised by the client. They draw on the expertise of other partners with related experience and knowledge.’
YTL Corporation Berhad
Damansara Realty Berhad
Coca Cola Bottlers (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
Invest Energy Group
Hanwha Energy Corporation
Akzo Nobel Paints (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Canadian Solar Energy Malaysia Sdn. Bhd
Solarpack Spain, Solarpack Suria Sungai Petani Sdn. Bhd.
- Acted for a global manufacturing services company in its management, coordination and implementation of the rooftop (in large volume) tender exercise, the drafting, negotiation and finalisation of the power supply contract.
- Advised Hanwha Corporation (Korea) (“Sponsor”), LSS3 Pekan Sdn. Bhd. (“Project Company”) on Malaysia’s third competitive bidding programme for the development of large-scale solar power plants, and advised on the entire development phase of the project.
- Advised Canadian Solar Energy Malaysia Sdn. Bhd on one of the largest solar rooftop projects in Malaysia under the net energy metering / NEM programme.
Rahmat Lim & Partners is particularly strong in infrastructure projects including airports, ports, highways, and mass rapid transit as well as power plants and petrochemical plants across Asia and the Middle East. The team assists with concession, power purchase, construction and engineering matters. Chong Yee Leong‘s practice focuses on international arbitration in energy, oil and gas, and power and infrastructure projects in Malaysia and Singapore. Leong heads the team with Kamilah Kasim, who has considerable experience advising on the privatisation of public sector businesses and on infrastructure development by the private sector.
‘Kamilah (Partner) put my company’s interest at the forefront. She is very precise on whether the matter at hand is a contractual issue or a commercial call for management to make. ’
‘The team is focused on solutions and very responsive.’
‘Kamilah Kassim is focused on solutions and brings a balance of experience in dispute resolution and transactional work. Highly responsive at all hours and quick turn around times.’
- Advised Malaysian Rail Link Berhad on the contract administration of the EPC Contract for the ECRL Project, which is a 640km railway link connecting different parts of the East coast region with the West coast region in Malaysia.
- Advised, reviewed and drafted the construction documents for MRT Services Sdn. Bhd. (including the build only and design and build contracts) and assisted with drafting the employer’s requirements in relation to the Rapid Transit System Link Project within Malaysia.
- Advised Micron Memory Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. on the second phase of the development and construction of a Centre of Excellence for the assembly, testing and manufacturing of solid-state drives and related facilities in Batu Kawan, Penang.
Adnan Sundra & Low has a strong record advising on public-private partnerships and major infrastructure projects, including power plants, rail projects and undersea construction. The practice is seeing significant growth in renewable energy projects. As well as domestic mandates, the team regularly advises on international projects in Australia and Southeast Asia. Adrian Chair Yong Huang advises on landmark projects and developments as well as project financing; he jointly heads the practice with Khem Thadani, who is a prominent name for infrastructure and integrated commercial projects. NG Jo-Leen is noted for her experience in project finance transactions.
Kerian Solar Sdn Bhd
RHB Investment Bank Berhad
HSBC Amanah Malaysia Berhad
CIMB Investment Bank Berhad
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
Petroliam Nasional Berhad
Taliworks Corporation Berhad
AmInvestment Bank Berhad
Maxis Broadband Sdn. Bhd
- Advised Kerian Solar Sdn Bhd on the development and financing of 100MW Large Scale Solar Plant by Kerian Solar Sdn Bhd, joint venture between French utility giant ENGIE and TTL Energy Sdn Bhd.
- Advised Maxis Broadband Sdn. Bhd on the joint development and sharing of fibre infrastructure between Maxis Broadband Sdn. Bhd., Celcom Axiata Berhad and Digi Telecommunications Sdn. Bhd.
- Advised HSBC Amanah Malaysia Berhad on the ASEAN Green SRI Sukuk Wakalah of up to RM260.0 million by Leader Energy Sdn Bhd.
Shearn Delamore & Co handles a broad range of mandates across the infrastructure and energy sectors, with core areas of focuses including renewable energy, manufacturing and refinery projects. The team is also recommended for project financing transactions. Datin Grace Yeoh focuses on transactions in the energy, natural resources and green technology sectors, also assisting clients with related regulatory and compliance work. Rodney Gomez has considerable experience in planning and development as well as private finance initiatives and is singled out for his expertise in arbitration and adjudication handling disputes arising out of PPP projects. Yeoh and Gomez jointly lead the team.
Other key lawyers:
Malayan Banking Berhad
OCBC Bank (Malaysia) Berhad
Hanwha Energy Corporation Singapore Pte Ltd
KBJ Hecmy Sdn Bhd
Mega First Corporation Berhad
- Acted for OCBC Bank (Malaysia) Berhad (Lender) on the term loan facilities of up to RM100 million granted to MFP Solar Sdn Bhd, for part financing the project costs in relation to the development, design, finance, installation, construction, commission, operation and maintenance of rooftop solar plant(s).
- Acted for Malayan Banking Berhad on the lending of up to RM440 million granted to LSS3 Pekan Sdn Bhd for part financing the project costs relating to the design, construction, ownership, operation and maintenance of a large scale solar photovoltaic plant with an installed capacity of 100MWac located in Mukim Kuala Pahang, Daerah Pekan, Pahang.
Skrine advises on matters across the energy spectrum, including renewable energy as well as upstream and downstream oil and gas, petrochemicals, energy management, electricity and gas transmission. Fariz Abdul Aziz heads the oil and gas practice and focuses on transactional and corporate matters. Richard Khoo Boo Hin has extensive experience in large scale projects, particularly in the power and infrastructure sectors, across the entire project life cycle.
International Petroleum Company
PTT Exploration and Production plc
ERS Energy Sdn Bhd
Weir Group Plc
Associated Group Oilfield Services Pte. Ltd.
IPC Malaysia BV
- Advised BP plc (“BP”) on the Malaysian segment of its USD 5 billion global sale of its aromatics, acetyls and related businesses to INEOS.
- Advised PCC SE on all aspect of the sale of interest to PCG and subsequent joint venture arrangements including preparing, negotiating and finalizing the Heads of Agreements, Sale Agreements, Shareholders Agreement, advising on anti-trust approvals.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Repsol in connection with its USD212.5 million sale of E&P assets in Malaysia and in Block 46 CN in Vietnam to a fully-owned subsidiary of Hibiscus Petroleum, a publicly-traded company based in Kuala Lumpur.
Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law)
The projects, infrastructure and utilities practice at Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law) fields a team experienced in conventional electricity, water, and oil and gas, as well as land transportation and development, construction and engineering, with highway construction and contracting particular areas of strength. Practice head Wong Kee Hooi advises financiers, government bodies and contractors on the development and financing of major private power generation projects.
Molnlycke Healthcare Sdn. Bhd.
TNB Renewables Sdn. Bhd.
Satria Megajuta Sdn. Bhd.
Pulau Indah Power Sdn. Bhd.
Vopak Logistics Asia Pacific B.V.
Malakoff Corporation Berhad
Tenaga Nasional Berhad
Sime Darby Energy Solutions Sdn. Bhd.
Idiwan Solar Sdn. Bhd.
BGMC Bras Power Sdn. Bhd.
ItraMAS Technology Sdn. Bhd.
China Communications Construction (ECRL) Sdn. Bhd.
Telekosang Hydro One Sdn. Bhd. and Telekosang Hydro Two Sdn. Bhd
Gading Kencana Sdn. Bhd.
- Assisted Tenaga Nasional Berhad with the entire reorganisation exercise in preparation for the upcoming reforms in Malaysia’s electricity supply industry.
- Advised Satria Megajuta Sdn. Bhd. on its proposed development of 3 rooftop solar photovoltaic energy generation facilities for the sale of the electricity to HeveaPac Sdn. Bhd. in Negeri Sembilan.
- Advised China Communications Construction (ECRL) Sdn. Bhd. on the project documents and land matters pertaining to the construction of a railway link infrastructure project on the east coast of Malaysia known as the East Coast Rail Link Project.
Zain & Co
The projects, energy and infrastructure group at Zain & Co is noted for its expertise in advising on privatisation and concession agreements between project proponents and the Malaysian government. Recent caseload also saw the team advising on regulatory matters and on transportation projects including high-speed railways, monorail systems and commuter stations. Zain Azrin Zain Azahari and Salwah Abdul Shukor jointly head the group with the support from Rajiv Vijayananthan who handles midstream and downstream oil and gas matters, and Rebecca Jeyanthi Selvaraj who advises on corporate and commercial matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘ One of the aspects we appreciate most about the team is that, apart from their consistent legal excellence, they are extremely focussed on achieving the commercial objectives of the client to the point of understanding our business operations and needs as well as we do. The biggest compliment that we can pay, is that we consider Senior Partner Rajiv Vijayanathan and his team in Zain & Co. to be part of our organization.’
‘Rajiv, who is the team leader, is assisted by Partner Rebecca Selvaraj and together they are a formidable team. Their negotiation and drafting skills are second to none in Kuala Lumpur. The fact that they have collaborated for so many years on so many transactions ensures an almost telepathic synergy in their handling of matters. Having both of them on the team inevitably provides a significant advantage.’
‘Rajiv and Rebecca are extremely hands-on both in terms of drafting and also negotiation. Unlike many other firms, where you may find the partners appearing only at key points in a transaction, the default approach is for these Partners to take a leading role in all aspects of a transaction from start to finish with assistance from associates where needed.’
‘Rajiv is an extremely calm, yet determined negotiator and this is backed up with meticulous drafting. Unlike some other competitors, he never gets ruffled and it is apparent that these traits, in turn, command the respect of his peers which invariably assists in concluding negotiations more smoothly.’
Sime Darby Melawati Development Sdn Bhd
PNB Value Homes Sdn. Bhd
Petroleum Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS) and various subsidiary and related companies of PETRONAS
La Strada Rail Sdn Bhd
PNB Merdeka Ventures Sdn Bhd
Employees Provident Fund Board
Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill has significant experience assisting clients with the development and financing of energy, infrastructure and utility projects. The team advises a range of international and Malaysian sponsors, lenders, contractors and other project stakeholders, and is highly active in the chemicals, energy, transport infrastructure and logistics sectors. Practice head Steven SY Tee regularly handles internationally financed cross-border projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Experienced and knowledgeable. ’
‘Steven and his team are very experienced in construction. He knows our company’s requirements well and has assisted us in numerous projects. Always ready to assist us at short notice with quality deliverables. ’
Mohamed Ridza & Co
Mohamed Ridza & Co is active in the oil and gas sector, assisting clients in the onshore and offshore industry with a broad range of matters. Mohamed Ridza Abdullah advises on financing transactions and on state and federal privatisation projects; he jointly heads the practice with Mohamad Nazran Basirun.
Raja, Darryl & Loh focuses on domestic railway and public transport infrastructure projects, acting as lead counsel to the project or asset owner. Team lead Hon Leng Choon has a strong track record in handling disputes arising out of the construction of major infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Choon Hon Leng provides quick, in-depth responses to problems with solutions driven by years of experience.’
- Advising the asset owner and operator of the pending Johor Bahru – Singapore Rapid Transit System, on the tender and award of all the packages for the construction of the system and consultancy works.
- Advised the owner of the light Rail Transit 3 (LRT3) Project on all matters pertaining to and arising from the conversion of the Project model to a Turnkey Contractor model.
- Advised the owner of the Rapid KL Monorail on all matters pertaining to the operation of the Rapid KL Monorail.
Wong & Partners
Wong & Partners has notable experience advising on tender and contract negotiations for significant domestic infrastructure projects. The team regularly advises on concession agreements, construction contracts, operation and maintenance agreements and procurement contracts. It also has a strong niche in the renewable energy sector, particularly concerning solar energy, and its connection with Baker McKenzie puts it in a strong position to attract cross-border infrastructure investments instructions. Practice head Mark Lim specialises in project financing matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘They hold high professional standards and work effectively to meet deadlines. ’
‘Faez Abdul Razak – professional and understands the business aspects of dealing with contract negotiations. ’
Asian Development Bank
ib vogt GmbH
IJM Corporation Berhad
Gunkul Engineering PCL
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
Pulau Indah Power Plant Sdn Bhd
Tesco Stores (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- Advised ib vogt GmbH on its successful bid for and development of a solar photovoltaic power plant in Marang, Terengganu, under Malaysia’s third large-scale solar tender project.
- Advised Pulau Indah Power Plant Sdn Bhd in its collaboration with Worldwide Holdings Bhd and Korea Electric Power Corp, for the development of the 1,200MW combined cycle gas and turbine power plant project in Pulau Indah, Klang.
- Advised Tesco Stores (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd on the successful signing of the largest long-term corporate power deal in Malaysia.