Christopher & Lee Ong has cemented itself as one of the leading firms in the antitrust and competition arena. By virtue of its membership of the Rajah & Tann Asia group, the department is well-positioned to provide a wealth of tech-enabled solutions. Offering a full service to its clients, the firm regularly advises international multinational corporations, banks, government organisations, and international counsels. Key strengths include advising on competition law concerns in the telecoms industry, conducting due diligence, acting as counsel in M&A transactions, and carrying out comprehensive audits and reviews of clients’ business operations. Yon See Ting heads the team, and Jane Guan has been instrumental in growing the competition practice. Both practitioners are praised as ‘approachable and collaborative, with deep expertise in competition law’.
Antitrust and competition in Malaysia
Yon See Ting
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is known for their practical and thoughtful approach, and their additional expertise in antitrust brings immense value to clients. The team’s knowledge of antitrust intricacies allows them to anticipate and address potential challenges, leading to sound and practical solutions.’
‘Yon See Ting and Jane Guan will go all out to assist clients, they are very responsive and proactive.’
‘Jane Guan and Yon See Ting are truly experts in competition law. Even with complex scenarios, they are able to provide clear advice.’
‘Jane Guan and Yon See Ting are very approachable and collaborative, with deep expertise in competition law. They are also well connected to the regulators when it comes to advising on practical enforcement issues.’
‘The competition team has grown from strength to strength.’
‘Jane Guan deserves to go far.’
Prudential Assurance Malaysia Berhad
Progressive Insurance Berhad
SIA Engineering Company Limited
- Assisted and represented two insurance companies in Malaysia, against the General Insurance Association of Malaysia, the national trade association of all licensed direct and reinsurance companies for general insurance in Malaysia, and its 22 members.
- Assisting SIAEC in respect of a proposed transaction involving the proposed acquisition of a minority stake of 49% of the issued and paid-up share capital of Pos Aviation Engineering Services Sdn Bhd.
Shearn Delamore & Co’s antitrust and competition practice counts foreign multinationals, domestic enterprises, and government-linked companies from various industries, among its key roster of clients. The team frequently advises on cases pertaining to the alleged infringement of the Competition Act 2010, price fixing, and due diligence, where recent standout work includes acting on the first and only successful merger control notification in Malaysia. Industry veteran Anand Raj heads the department alongside K Shanti Mogan, who offers advisory services, compliance audits, and legal representation in competition law disputes. Lilien Wong is a notable member of the team and has demonstrable know-how in regulatory compliance work, as well as in commercial litigation and arbitration.
Anand Raj; K Shanti Mogan
Other key lawyers:
Korean Airlines Co Ltd
Giga Shipping Sdn Bhd
Nexus Mega Carriers Sdn Bhd
The Malaysian Bar
Shopee Mobile Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Allianz General Insurance Company (Malaysia) Berhad
AmGeneral Insurance Berhad
RHB Insurance Berhad
Liberty Insurance Berhad
MPI Generali Insurans Berhad
Pacific & Orient Insurance Co Berhad
- Advised and successfully assisted and acted for Korean Airlines Co Ltd in filing a notice and application for an anticipated merger. The team handled Malaysia’s first ever successful merger control notification under the new Malaysian Aviation Commission Act 2015. This merger notification was approved by the Malaysian Aviation Commission in September 2021.
- Advising and representing five (Allianz General Insurance Company (Malaysia) Berhad, AmGeneral Insurance Berhad, Liberty Insurance Berhad, RHB Insurance Berhad and MPI Generali Insurans Berhad) out of the other 22 insurers in Malaysia who have been investigated by the Malaysia Competition Commission (MyCC) for an alleged horizontal infringement.
- Advised one of the largest global technology companies on competition law issues arising from the company’s data collection process, including any potential abuse of dominance in the video-sharing platform market.
The competition practice at Skrine comprises of advising a wide range of clients within the pharmaceutical, shipping, and insurance industries, among others. Acting for reputable local and global companies, government-linked corporations, and trade associations, the team advise on cases often concerning block exemption applications, complaints and leniency applications, and cartel and abuse of dominance investigations. Notably, the department frequently works on dawn raids and competition audit matters. Praised as 'an excellent lawyer with impeccable industry knowledge and commercial savvy', Tan Shi Wen, who has demonstrable experience representing companies and industry groups at the Malaysian Competition Commission, jointly leads the team alongside To’ Puan Janet Looi.
To’ Puan Janet Looi; Tan Shi Wen
‘Tan Shi Wen is a reliable and trustworthy counsel. Her advice, including those from her team, are proven to be effective, practical, pragmatic and consistent with business objectives.’
‘A longstanding firm with a full array of skill sets. They have a large team of high quality lawyers with experience that is on-point.’
‘Tan Shi Wen renders her advice in a simple to digest, and direct manner. Her advice is also pragmatic and practical.’
‘Tan Shi Wen is an excellent lawyer with impeccable industry knowledge and commercial savvy.’
AIG Malaysia Insurance Berhad
AXA Affin General Insurance
Zurich Insurance Malaysia Berhad
All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd.
Caliber Interconnects Sdn. Bhd.
Gold Coin Feedmills (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
Life Insurance Association of Malaysia (LIAM)
Mediterranean Shipping Company (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
Shipping Association of Malaysia and Malaysia Shipowners’ Association
Malaysian Takaful Association (MTA)
General Insurance Association of Malaysia (Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia)(PIAM)
- Assisting Caliber Interconnects Sdn Bhd in their applications for stay and appeal at the Competition Appeal Tribunal against the first ever decision issued by the Malaysia Competition Commission on bid rigging.
- Assisting Goldcoin Feedmills Malaysia in an investigation by the Malaysia Competition Commission.
- Assisting the Shipping Association of Malaysia and the Malaysia Shipowners’ Association in their renewal application of the block exemption order.
Wong & Partners
Under the strong leadership of Andre Gan and Lydia Kong, who are renowned for their expertise in competition-related M&A transactions, the team at Wong & Partners advise on an array of antitrust and competition issues. Instructed by both local and international clients from a diverse scope of industries, the firm advises on merger control mandates, innovative pricing and expansion policies, cross-border deals, and in navigating strict government investigations. As the Malaysian Competition Commission is taking steps towards the introduction of a comprehensive merger control regime, the practice is strategically placed to advise in this area, given its demonstrated calibre in international competition matters.
Andre Gan; Lydia Kong
‘The team possesses a depth of knowledge on antitrust laws from various jurisdictions and is very quick to respond to queries.’
‘Lydia Kong and Addy Herg both give practical and useful advice on competition laws matters.’
‘The team provided timely and useful advice on competition laws matters.’
Mercedes-Benz Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Telekom Malaysia Berhad
Generali Asia N.V.
AstraZeneca Sdn. Bhd.
Liberty Insurance Berhad
Pengerang Refining Company Sdn Bhd
Cargill Feed Sdn Bhd
Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill’s antitrust and competition practice prides itself on offering a full-package service to its clients. Much of the firm’s work consists of conducting due diligence and compliance audits and arranging for mock dawn raid exercises. In particular, the department has strengths in coordinating matters relating to pricing concerns within Malaysia’s complex regulatory regime and advising on the competition elements of M&A transactions. Jack S’ng Hoi leads the practice with a track record in advising on various competition-related disputes. The team frequently offers advice within the telecoms, healthcare, and oil and gas industries in Malaysia.
Jack S’ng Hoi
Raja, Darryl & Loh’s competition department is spearheaded by industry veteran Chew Phye Keat. Often acting for clients in the insurance, automotive, and telecoms industries, the firm frequently advises on issues concerning joint purchase arrangements, pre-merger notifications, and prospective collaborations with competitors. Senior associate Cheong Chun Yong serves as a valuable asset to the team and has displayed a particular strength in conducting due diligence and competition audits to ensure necessary compliance with the Malaysian law.
Chew Phye Keat
Other key lawyers:
Cheong Chun Yong
- Advised a telecoms company in respect of its equity participation in Digital Nasional Berhad.
- Advised a manufacturing company on its collaboration with a competitor on a centralised purchasing system for the purchase of raw materials.
- Defending clients in the High Court on an alleged abuse of dominant position under competition law.
Lim Chee Wee Partnership’s practice is headed by Kwan Will Sen, who is praised as a ‘chess grandmaster when it comes to competition law litigation’. The firm is regularly engaged by the Malaysia Competition Commission and frequently handles issues including anti-competitive agreements, assessment of penalties, and the abuse of dominant position. ‘Charismatic litigator’ Lim Chee Wee is a key member of the team and has wide-ranging expertise in the corporate, regulatory disputes, and commercial sectors.
Kwan Will Sen
Other key lawyers:
Lim Chee Wee; Muayyad Khairulmaini
‘The team is the talk of the town. They are well known for their capabilities in international arbitration, competition, civil and commercial litigation, and insolvency.’
‘Lim Chee Wee requires no further introduction. He is a charismatic litigator who thinks on his feet.
‘Kwan Will Sen is a chess grandmaster when it comes to competition law litigation, he is strategic and practical in designing solutions for clients. In the courtroom, he is agile and nimble with a tinge of wittiness.’
‘Muayyad Khairulmaini is eloquent and smooth in the art of persuasion.’
‘The competition team at Lim Chee Wee Partnership consists of hardworking members who strategise around the challenges we may anticipate and provide solutions for them. They are competition law experts and are well-versed in the dynamics of the area.’
‘Lim Chee Wee, Kwan Will Sen, and Muayyad Khairulmaini have worked with us for many years and have been maintained as our panel lawyers for various cases. We value their loyalty and relationship.’
Malaysia Competition Commission
- Acting for Malaysia Competition Commission in judicial review proceedings against AirAsia and MAS Airlines, relating to anti-competitive and cartel agreements between the two parties.
- Acting for Malaysia Competition Commission in judicial review proceedings brought by the Grab Group in relation to the abuse of dominant position issues.
Chen Lee Won, an expert in the corporate and M&A sector, leads the team at Rahmat Lim & Partners. The department is regularly engaged by a broad range of clients including government-linked companies, trade associations, and multinational corporations. With experience in conducting cross-jurisdictional merger control self-assessments, the firm also offers advice on exemption applications to the Malaysian Competition Commission (MyCC), joint ventures, and distribution agreements. Penny Wong illustrates her strengths in the field through her active involvement in investigations by the MyCC and in representing clients in appeal hearings before the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
Chen Lee Won
Other key lawyers:
Jack Yow; Penny Wong
‘Professional and friendly, the team provides sound advice and takes commercial considerations into account.’
‘Penny Wong stands out as a supportive partner of Rahmat Lim. She is fast to react and she communicates well.’
‘The team is capable of providing all aspects of legal solutions to its client.’
‘Penny Wong is highly recommended for her experience and knowledge in competition law.’
Wen & Co
Wen & Co’s practice is led by Nicole Leong, a specialist in competition law.. Frequently engaged by local corporations and conglomerates to advise on bid rigging decisions and price fixing matters, the team helps clients adjust to the transforming competition landscape in Malaysia. Senior associate Heng Jia is a key member of the group and is often involved in various competition matters, such as dawn raids and defending clients against competition investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Leong Hup Feedmill Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Novatis Resources Sdn Bhd
Silver Tech Synergy Sdn Bhd
- Represented AirAsia Berhad against Malaysia Competition Commission (MyCC) in MyCC’s application for the Federal Court to review its own decision.
- Represented two feed millers against Malaysia Competition Commission’s proposed decision alleging price fixing for poultry feed prices in Malaysia.
- Represented two IT firms against Malaysia Competition Commission’s infringement decision alleging bid rigging for public procurement tenders for IT-related projects by the National Academy of Arts, Culture and Heritage of Malaysia.