The 'extremely versatile' team at Allen & Overy Luxembourg successfully balances an understanding of clients' local concerns with a global perspective, framed as a result of being able to access know-how developed across the firm's vast international network. Team head Katia Manhaeve has a wealth of IP expertise across the pharmaceutical, e-commerce and finance sectors; she has recently led on a number of significant copyright and trade mark disputes. In addition to her IT contracts and outsourcing expertise, counsel Catherine Di Lorenzo is recognised as a 'true expert of privacy-related matters' and has been at the forefront of the firm's GDPR-related work.
IP and IT in Luxembourg
Allen & Overy Luxembourg
‘The firm displays high quality transactional work on multiple aspects of e-commerce and device manufacture and distribution.‘
‘The team follows GDPR interpretation and enforcement very closely and keep us constantly updated about the developments that may impact our business.‘
‘Catherine Di Lorenzo not only has deep knowledge of the law, court decisions and policy developments, but also has close relationships with regulators and a deep understanding of their practices and approaches.‘
Led by Sophie Wagner-Chartier, Arendt & Medernach's two-partner team has 'deep industry knowledge' across the TMT sector, in addition to the various IT and IP issues impacting on financial services clients, in particular. The team regularly advises banks on IP due diligence issues associated with M&A handled by the firm, as well as on numerous major GDPR compliance projects. Recently promoted partner Astrid Wagner has 'strong technical knowledge', which she utilises across a broad array of IP and IT issues, including on new technologies, start-ups and fintech.
‘We always received quick and professional advice and practical solutions.‘
‘The team is accessible, professional and has excellent knowledge of the political background in Luxembourg.‘
‘Astrid Wagner has strong technical knowledge.‘
European Investment Bank
- Advising a high-profile luxury watch manufacturer and a world-famous haute couture manufacturer on of their Luxembourg anti-counterfeiting files.
- Advising a large bank on potential data transfers (i) to an independent consultant in the context of the duties of an investigation by the US Department of Justice and (ii) in the context of investigations against employees of a bank.
- Acted as special Luxembourg counsel to the holding company of a Brazilian high-net-worth individual in an opposition against a Spanish company having registered the same trade mark in Spain, as well as against a UK company having registered the same trade mark at the European Union Intellectual Property Office.
C Law covers the spectrum of IP and IT matters, including as it relates to data protection and e-commerce. Cyril Pierre-Beausse has excellent visibility in the market for data protection matters - including GDPR compliance - as well as IT outsourcing and cloud matters. Claire Leonelli has a focus on contentious and non-contentious IP matters.
The 'reactive, thorough and professional' team at Elvinger Hoss Prussen continues to gain market share, largely as a result of newly promoted partner Gary Cywie's superb credentials in the IT outsourcing and data protection space. Recognised as 'one of the top IP and IT lawyers in Luxembourg', in addition to his market-leading reputation among financial services companies on data privacy matters, Cywie is also at the cutting edge of fintech-related IP matters.
‘The firm is my first point of contact when I have Luxembourg IT questions. The lawyers are knowledgeable and responsive.‘
‘Gary Cywie is well known for data protection files.‘
‘The extremely professional and knowledgeable Gary Cywie is always on top of legal-tech issues.‘
‘Gary Cywie is, for me, one of the top IT lawyers in Luxembourg.‘
Boonchu S.à r.l.
Nexa Resources S.A.
Advanzia Bank S.A.
Baring Private Equity Asia Limited
Radices VBK + Co (Luxembourg)
IDI Emerging markets S.A
- Assists Boonchu, a Luxembourg company which launched a new concept of chain restaurant (a “fast casual” restaurant offering tasty, fresh and healthy Asian cuisine) with all questions related to intellectual property rights (IPR) and strategy (author’s rights,trade marks, models, intellectual property agreements, tax regime, among others).
- Assists Seqvoia with the drafting and negotiation of various IT contracts (IT service agreement, software development contract, licensing agreement, cooperation agreement, among others).
- Advised Advanzia Bank on GDPR compliance work.
Led by Vincent Wellens, NautaDutilh's team has wide-ranging expertise across the gamut of contentious and non-contentious IP (including as it relates to patents, trade marks and copyright), data privacy, trade secret disputes and IP/technology-driven transactions. The team is, however, best-known for its IT outsourcing work, for both users (particularly public sector clients and financial services entities) and vendors. Wellens also has niche expertise handling telecoms and media regulatory matters. Senior associate Lindsay Korytko was a new arrival in December 2019 from PwC Legal Luxembourg.
‘Very strong team with in-depth knowledge and hands on, pragmatic approach.‘
‘Vincent Wellens has very profound knowledge of IT business in both Luxembourg but also Belgium, he is always available, open for discussions and delivers excellent work.‘
Johnson & Johnson
Royal Bank of Canada
- Defending M7 Group and the latter’s IPCo M77 Link in infringement proceedings brought by Sky before the Luxembourg District Court for the use of the name “skylink” in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Assists a public research body with important GDPR compliance projects and currently advising on the policy and the methodology to be followed for the carrying out of data protection impact assessments in the context of research projects.
- Assisted a retail insurance group with its digital transformation process and the legality of its new e-signature and e-archiving platform that has been implemented by Fujitsu.
The 'agile and proactive' team at Wildgen advises domestic and international clients from a range of industry sectors - including pharmaceutical, technology and financial services - across the spectrum of IP and IT matters. David Maria heads the IP team. Emmanuelle Ragot left the firm in February 2020.
Excellium Services Luxembourg
- Assisted various US and Belgian pharmaceutical companies on the regulation of medical products.
- Advised IT firm Excellium Services on an IP corporate finance deal.
Bonn & Schmitt continues to be particularly active for domestic and foreign companies in the financial, insurance and healthcare fields on GDPR-related matters. Team head Alain Grosjean has strong credentials across the IP and data protection fields, and advises the Luxembourg Bar Association on various issues relating to the implementation of the GDPR.
Luxembourg Bar Association
International Association of Lawyers
- Advised on the implementation of the GDPR for the Luxembourg Bar Association and participated in the drafting of a GDPR handbook for Luxembourg lawyers.
- Acting for the Luxembourg Bar Association, in collaboration with other data protection experts in Luxembourg, to draft comments on Luxembourg draft bills concerning IP/IT matters.
DECKER & BRAUN
Since it was established in April 2018, DLA Piper's IP/IT team has made huge inroads into the market and is appreciated for its ability to leverage 'synergies across the local team and their counterparts worldwide'. 'One of the top IP/IT lawyers in the country', team head Olivier Reisch is noted for his 'excellent technical and commercial command of the IP and licensing issues', as well as data protection matters. David Alexandre , who recently joined from Arendt & Medernach, enhances the team's ability to handle soft IP matters, including trade mark prosecution work.
‘Great approachable team that is very well-versed in the sector.‘
‘Skilled people in a wide range of practice areas, including IP but also data protection (GDPR), EU Privacy legal framework, and service contracts.‘
‘The team is a perfect size: small enough to keep individual contact with us, but still capitalising on a strong experience from various backgrounds.‘
‘I very much appreciate the practical approach, the vast network and the uncomplicated relationship, notably when it comes to specific needs that are not addressed in “standard” approaches.‘
‘The calm and pragmatic Olivier Reisch looks into every detail of the matter.‘
‘Olivier Reisch has extensive experience and practical knowledge in his field. He brought a lot of feedback, especially regarding enforcement by data protection authorities (drafting policies and procedures to deal with enforcement actions). Olivier is also a fantastic human being, very approachable and dedicated to his clients: working with him is both professionally and individually rewarding.‘
‘David Alexandre – very competent, discussions on an eye-to-eye level, knows his subject.‘
Kleos Space S.à.r.l.
Sotheby’s Real Estate
Paragon Customer Communications
Sonae Investment Management
Middle Game Ventures
- Advising Kleos Space on a technology procurement agreement with GomSpace, a developer of Nano Satellite solutions.
- Assisted the Luxembourg-based Sotheby’s Real Estate Agency with its GDPR compliance program, ensuring state-of-the-art compliance for its data intensive operations in Luxembourg.
- Assisted Claire’s Accessories with regular queries relating to product labelling and product conformity issues.
'Responsive and pragmatic' independent boutique LG Avocats provides a 'very reliable service' directly to clients, as well as for international law firms without a presence in Luxembourg, across a range of IT, e-commerce, telecoms and IP matters. 'Very knowledgeable' team head Hervé Wolff is particularly well versed in data protection matters.
‘A highly responsive team that provides valuable data protection advice even at very short notice.’
‘They are my go-to lawyers for all data protection matters in Luxembourg.‘
‘Hervé Wolff is a very knowledgeable and reliable lawyer on data protection matters.‘
Bird & Bird
Simmons & Simmons
Hunton Andrews Kurth
Womble Bond Dickinson
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
White & Case
- Advised a bank on an outsourcing project.
- Advised an insurance company on its GDPR compliance project.
- Assisted a TV Channel with the Luxembourg regulatory regime .
Led by 'practical and responsive' counsel Virginie Liebermann, MOLITOR Avocats à la Cour SARL's three-strong team provides 'highly knowledgeable and reliable' advice across a range of IP, IT, media and e-commerce matters.
‘The firm provides very comprehensive, high level and practical advice.‘
Led by the 'knowledgeable, proactive and dynamic' Audrey Rustichelli, the 'responsive, professional and effective' team at PwC Legal Luxembourg provides expertise across the full spectrum of IP and IT matters. The firm has been particularly active on data protection matters, where it is appreciated for its 'excellent knowledge and close connections with the regulators involved in the process'.
‘The team is quick to understand what we need and to provide practical advice.‘
‘Audrey Rustichelli is knowledgeable, proactive and dynamic: she understands the industry and its challenges.‘
- Advised ArcelorMittal on GDPR-related advice and internal training sessions (notably of the top management worldwide).
- Advising Google on a regular basis on data protection-related questions.
- Assisting LuxTrust with its GDPR compliance project.
‘The very empathetic Isabelle Comhaire is easy to work with, flexible and client-oriented.‘
Led by the 'very diligent and thorough' Dorothee Ciolino, DCL Avocats' two-strong team has 'a great understanding of all IP/IT issues'. The firm is noted for its fintech expertise, particularly in relation to the regulations impacting on the payments industry. Other core areas of focus include data protection matters.
‘The firm has exceptional skills in the payments industry.‘
‘The team is knowledgeable and practical when it comes to stock market and fintech regulations.‘
‘Dorothée Ciolino is a great ambassador for the firm; she really goes the extra mile to make all those she deals with feel at ease and allows the client to have confidence in what she says.‘
3C Payment Luxembourg S.A.
- Assistance to 3C Payment Luxembourg with the negotiation and drafting of a framework agreement for payment services provision to the European entities of an international luxury group.
Although Linklaters recently suffered some departures from its core IP/IT team - including Olivier Reisch to DLA Piper in April 2018 - the firm still maintains a strong data protection practice which has handled numerous GDPR projects for financial services clients.
Manulife Global Fund
CBRE Clarion Funds SICAV
Brevan Howard Liquid Portfolio Strategies
- Advised Manulife Global Fund on the application of the GDPR to its Luxembourg UCITS fund and other parties involved.
- Advised CBRE Clarion Funds SICAV on complying with the transparency requirements under the GDPR (drafted the privacy notice) considering the additional guidelines at EU and Luxembourg level.
- Provided GDPR advice to Brevan Howard Liquid Portfolio Strategies.
Benefiting from significant synergies with other practice areas, including tax, corporate and employment, Loyens & Loeff handles a range of e-commerce, data protection and IP-related commercialisation work. The scope of work runs the gamut from M&A-related IP due diligence through to trade mark and copyright litigation. Véronique Hoffeld is the key name.