Insurance in Luxembourg
Allen & Overy Luxembourg
Praised for its 'proactive and solution-oriented approach', under the leadership of Paul Péporté, Allen & Overy Luxembourg is able to provide the necessary regulatory overlay to M&A deals handled by the firm in the insurance sector. As well as insurance-related M&A, Pierre Schleimer also advises clients on the establishment of insurance and re-insurance companies.
Lombard International Assurance
Global Bankers Insurance Group
Cardif Lux Vie
Union Bancaire Privée
- Advised GB Life Luxembourg and its current shareholder on the sale of 100% of GB Life’s share capital to Foyer, a Luxembourg insurance company.
- Advised ABN Amro Bank on the sale of ABN Amro Bank (Luxembourg) and its fully-owned subsidiary ABN Amro Life to BGL BNP Paribas.
- Advised Ageas Insurance International on the sale of Ageas’ 33% stake in Cardif Lux Vie to BNP Paribas Cardif.
Led by the 'pragmatic and solution-oriented' Pierre-Michaël de Waersegger, Arendt & Medernach's 'very able' standalone insurance team has been particularly active of late advising a slew of insurance companies, including AIG and RSA Insurance Group, on the establishment of their European hubs in Luxembourg in order to continue to carry out their activities in the EU post- Brexit. Other work includes advice on insurance products and insurance regulatory overlay on M&A in the sector. Christian Point provides insurance litigation expertise.
‘It is a very able insurance team that helped us handle complicated situations with efficiency.‘
‘Pierre-Michaël de Waersegger has an excellent knowledge of the Luxembourg insurance environment.‘
RSA Insurance Group
- Advising numerous insurance companies, including AIG Insurance and RSA Insurance Group, that have chosen to relocate to Luxembourg as part of their Brexit strategy.
- Assisted the TransRe Group with the reorganisation of its European presence with a view to simplify and strengthen its corporate structure and optimise the organisation of its supervision by taking advantage of the European passport.
- Assisted various UK insurance intermediaries groups with the setting up of new insurance intermediaries (insurance brokerage entities or insurance agencies) in Luxembourg following the UK’s decision to leave the European Union.
'One of the best small-to-mid sized firms dedicated to the insurance sector', Philippe & Partners has an 'excellent understanding of the local regulatory framework' and puts this to good effect on behalf of insurance companies and intermediaries. The 'exceptional' Marc Gouden has 'extensive knowledge and broad experience in Luxembourg insurance law', including in relation to distribution, product development and M&A-related matters. The firm has also provided guidance to insurance clients on GDPR matters and Brexit-related strategic issues.
‘The firm has an excellent knowledge of the Luxembourg life and non-life insurance legal and regulatory framework.‘
‘The team is very experienced and reactive.‘
‘The team is a real business partner and always tries to find solutions for our business.‘
‘They are true specialists in life insurance.‘
‘Marc Gouden is a real specialist in insurance law for two main markets (Belgium and Luxembourg) and it is always a pleasure to exchange information about the different regulations.‘
‘Marc Gouden has a deep knowledge of insurance matters across Luxembourg, Belgium and internationally.‘
The arrival in October 2018 of the 'responsive and knowledgeable' Karine Vilret from KLEYR GRASSO has marked a huge step change in Wildgen's ability to provide overarching insurance expertise in both the contentious and non-contentious side. 'A highly skilled expert for life insurance and international life insurance', Vilret's broad-ranging expertise runs the gamut from complex product structuring and wealth management solutions to international freedom of services issues. Michel Bulach is active in the reinsurance field for SMEs, international groups, financial firms, and high-net-worth individuals.
‘I had several important issues to discuss, starting from company set-up, to governance to fiscal and even social security points, the firm always introduced me to the right specialist for all my questions.‘
Bâloise Group Luxembourg
La Mondiale Europartner
CAMCA Assurance SA (Groupe Credit Agricole)
BGL BNP Paribas
- Provided a legal opinion to life insurance company, Bâloise Vie, relating to the costs and expenses applicable under the Insurance Distribution Directive.
- Defending Baloise Vie in a class action involving 31 applicants and judicial proceedings before the Court of Brussels for several contractual and delictual faults.
- Assisted Italian insurance company Cattolica Assicurazioni with the acquisition of a Luxembourg reinsurance captive from Groupe des Assurances du Crédit Mutuel.
Clifford Chance provides 'helpful and responsive advice' to a range of entities in the sector, including insurance undertakings, reinsurers, and funds. Leveraging expertise from across the firm's corporate and banking practices, the team excels in setting up Luxembourg insurance subsidiaries, as well as handling M&A and restructurings in the sector. The 'fantastic' Christian Kremer is the main contact.
‘They are crystal clear in their explanations and efficient in their execution of mandates.‘
Domestic & General
- Advised BNP Paribas on its acquisition of ABN Amro Bank (Luxembourg) and its fully owned subsidiary ABN Amro LifeSA.
KLEYR GRASSO is active on both the corporate and disputes front for insurance. Recently promoted partner Henry de Ron handles insurance disputes, relating to inter alia coverage and liability, as part of his broader commercial litigation offering. Karine Vilret joined Wildgen,
- Advised German company Hochtief on the indirect acquisition of Abertis Infraestructuras – work which involved securing the necessary approvals to be obtained from the Luxembourg Supervisory Authority of the Insurance Sector (Commissariat aux Assurances) due to the change of qualifying shareholder in the reinsurance and insurance entities of the Hochtief Group.
Headed by the 'experienced' Michel Molitor, MOLITOR Avocats à la Cour SARL handles a considerable amount of insurance work out of its banking and finance and commercial litigation practice groups. 'Responsive and practical' commercial litigator François Cautaerts has experience in insurance disputes; he recently acted for a global company in a dispute relating to the amount payable to the beneficiaries following the death of an employee under a life insurance policy.
- Drafting and reviewing insurance contracts for a number of clients.
- Successfully defending a client in a long-running liability case which had important implications on the concept of force majeure.