Personal injury: claimant in London
Anthony Gold Solicitors LLP fields a 'hugely experienced team' which handles the 'very highest quality work', including high-value trauma cases, as well as catastrophic brain and amputation injuries, which are the particular focus of practice head Jon Nicholson. The practitioners at the firm are 'of the highest calibre' and the 'efficiency with which their cases are put together and presented is genuinely hard to beat'. Key names to note include child brain injury specialist Jackie Spinks; international law expert Ian Peters, who regularly acts for British nationals injured abroad; Jenny Kennedy, who is known as 'one of the most respected PI claimant lawyers in the country'; and managing partner David Marshall.
‘A hugely experienced team carrying out the very highest quality work.’
‘Jenny Kennedy is one of the most respected PI claimant lawyers in the country, and with good reason.’
‘Their lawyers are of the highest calibre, and the efficiency with which their cases are put together and presented is genuinely hard to beat.’
‘Jackie Spinks’ experience in the field of personal injury claims was very reassuring.’
‘This is a top notch firm that continues to punch well above its weight.’
‘Brave and willing to fight marginal cases to ensure that claimants can get access to justice.’
‘Ian Peters is an up and coming partner at the firm who is brave and tactically very astute.’
- Settled a £5m claim for a cyclist who was rendered tetraplegic following a collision with a vehicle.
- Successfully acted for a Chinese national who was left in a minimally conscious state after being struck by a van, securing a settlement of £4.9m.
- Acting for a young boy who was rendered quadriplegic when he was involved in a road traffic accident as a car passenger.
Fieldfisher's personal injury practice comprises both a serious injury and an industrial diseases team, and is 'extremely strong across the board'. Jill Greenfield 'runs a brilliant team' which deals with a wide range of catastrophic injury claims, from significant brain and spinal cord damage, to limb loss and sexual assault, and has a reputation for 'taking on a range of challenging and interesting cases and getting incredible results'. In addition, Paul McNeil regularly recovers multimillion-pound damages in severe road traffic accidents. On the industrial disease side, the firm fields asbestos and mesothelioma experts who are 'at the top of their game'; Peter Williams is a key practitioner in this area. Also of note, Dushal Mehta and Jennifer Buchanan recently made partner.
‘The top PI team in the country – Jill Greenfield is quite exceptional and runs a brilliant team taking on a range of challenging and interesting cases and getting incredible results.’
‘The asbestos team has some standout individuals who are at the top of their game.’
‘Keith Barrett and Dushal Mehta have few rivals in the industry for their sheer brilliance in conducting high value and complex litigation.’
‘The team is extremely strong across the board. Their knowledge and experience is peerless.’
‘Jill Greenfield is an excellent solicitor who is completely committed to the work and wonderful with clients.’
- Successfully settled a claim for a passenger in a vehicle involved in a serious collision, who suffered severe brain damage and was left in a minimally conscious state.
- Recovered £650,000 plus all future private medical costs for a claimant diagnosed with mesothelioma after working for the London Borough of Tower Hamlets during the 70s and 80s.
- Issued the first civil claim against film producer Harvey Weinstein in what would become a case involving a series of allegations of sexual assault against him and his company.
Irwin Mitchell offers 'enormous experience and resources' and fields 'star individuals' who are 'simply the best at catastrophic work'. The firm is known for handling a wide variety of PI work, including serious brain and spinal injuries, limb losses, and abuse and industrial disease cases. Newly promoted national team lead Tracey Storey 'provides strong leadership but also demonstrates compassion' when dealing with severely injured clients, supported by London managing partner Alison Eddy, who frequently obtains multimillion-pound settlements for children and adults who have suffered accidents resulting in permanent and profound disability. Also of note is the asbestos team, which is a 'leader in the field'; Ian Bailey and Joanne Jeffries are the key names in this area. The practice's international work is led by Demetrius Danas.
Other key lawyers:
‘Simply the best at catastrophic work with star individuals and enormous experience and resources.‘
‘Their asbestos team is a leader in the field.‘
‘No-one can match them in the right case.‘
‘Tracey Storey provides strong leadership but also demonstrates compassion to ensure the best possible outcomes for her team’s clients.‘
‘Irwin Mitchell is plainly a top-tier claimant PI firm.‘
- Successfully settled a mesothelioma case in which the claimant had to apply for Asbestos Surveys in the hospitals where she had previously worked, under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Representing a claimant who was catastrophically injured in a motorcycle accident whilst working for his events company.
- Acting for the families of the deceased and injured following the incident in which 38 people were killed during a terrorist attack at a hotel in Tunisia.
Leigh Day fields a 'very committed team who take on difficult and unusual cases with great courage and success' and whose 'strength in depth is extraordinary'. Highly specialised departments complement the firm's work on amputations, brain injuries and fatal accidents. Richard Meeran leads on international work, including ground-breaking cases against UK-domiciled multinationals, and abuse claims brought in foreign jurisdictions. Martyn Day is also a key name to note for this type of work. Daniel Easton and Harminder Bains jointly head up an industrial disease team which has assembled 'the most experienced team of asbestos lawyers anywhere in the UK', and takes cases up to the Supreme Court. Grant Incles is at the helm of the specialist cycling and sports injuries department, and Sally Moore receives frequent instruction from the British Cycling Federation.
‘Leigh Day have assembled what is probably the most experienced team of asbestos lawyers anywhere in the UK.‘
‘A very committed team who take on difficult and unusual cases with great courage and success.‘
‘Sally Moore is one of the best PI lawyers in the country.‘
‘Leigh Day is the market leader that all the other personal injury firms specialising in industrial disease look at with envy.‘
‘There truly is no other lawyer like Martyn Day.‘
‘Leigh Day is peerless in dealing with complex multi-party litigation against government departments and multi-national corporations.‘
‘Their strength in depth is extraordinary.‘
- Representing 300 individuals in a claim against Gemfields for serious human rights abuses on and around their ruby mine in northern Mozambique.
- Successfully settled a claim on behalf of a severely injured cyclist for £3.25m.
- Representing a claimant who was diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma following her exposure to asbestos whilst working in an English hospital.
Stewarts Law LLP is 'the absolute market leader for high-value personal injury claims', acting solely for catastrophically injured claimants who have typically suffered severe brain or spinal damage. Members of the 'unrivalled team' are known both for their 'legal and medical knowledge and for their level of client care'. Practice head Paul Paxton is 'masterful' in his handling of cases, and is acting for a post-amputation client in the high profile Alton Towers settlement. Ben Rogers, who is a specialist in obtaining provisions of exoskeletons for clients, exemplifies the firm's commitment to rehabilitation measures. Charles Edwards handles claims arising from both road traffic accidents and injuries sustained in the workplace.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is an absolute market leader for high-value personal injury claims.‘
‘They have an unrivalled team, all capable of handling complicated catastrophic injury claims.‘
‘Its reputation is unrivalled.‘
‘The partners can be regarded as amongst the very best personal injury solicitors practising in the country, both for legal and medical knowledge and for level of client care.‘
‘Paul Paxton is charismatic, masterful and has a wonderful turn of phrase.‘
- Representing a claimant who was injured in a car accident and rendered tetraplegic, including securing interim payments and an extensive package that enabled her to undergo private rehabilitation.
- Settled favourably for a claimant who had suffered crush injuries and later undergone amputation, including interim payments and the provision for private prosthetic rehabilitation.
- Successfully settled for a claimant who was injured in the Alton Towers Smiler Rollercoaster crash, resulting in a through the knee amputation.
The team at Bindmans LLP is frequently instructed by clients injured at work and in serious road traffic accidents, as well as those bringing claims under occupiers’ liability. It is noted for maintaining a 'supportive, pragmatic approach to dealing with the individual issues that arise' in all cases. With Jon Crocker, who also has notable expertise in clinical negligence work, at the helm, the firm is able to handle serious multiple injury claims, including those with psychiatric elements. Other key practitioners are Alla Murphy, who is an expert on complex causation issues; Siobhan Kelly, who specialises in claims relating to asbestos exposure; and associate Yagmur Ekici.
‘The practitioners are outstanding in the level of support and care that they provide to their clients.‘
‘They work with some very difficult, challenging and complex clients, and maintain a supportive, pragmatic approach to dealing with the individual issues that arise.‘
‘Siobhan Kelly and Alla Murphy stand out as working to do the right thing for the client rather than just seeking a financial outcome.‘
‘They are very impressive individually and as a team.‘
‘Alla Murphy and Siobhan Kelly are always on top of their cases and in tune with their clients.‘
- Acting for a claimant who was struck by a bus whilst partway across a zebra crossing, causing significant orthopaedic and internal injuries.
- Bringing a claim for catastrophic orthopaedic injuries sustained in an accident at work which resulted in a transtibial amputation and psychiatric injury.
- Acting in conjunction with the firm’s Actions Against the Police team in relation to an incident at a nightclub in which the client sustained life-threatening injuries.
Bolt Burdon Kemp fields a 'dedicated and highly specialised team' with 'fantastic expertise' and 'significant experience'. As well as handling complex brain and spinal injury cases, the firm is particularly known for its niche military claims specialism. This offering is headed up by Ahmed Al-Nahhas, who 'knows military law backwards', and is frequently instructed to act in non-freezing cold injury claims against the Ministry of Defence. Another key area of focus for the team is in child abuse claims; David McClenaghan leads this department, and practice head Jonathan Wheeler is also 'one of the leading lawyers for abuse claims'. For orthopaedic injuries, Joshua Hughes is an important name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘A dedicated and highly specialised team whose knowledge of the military is second to none.‘
‘Outstanding within the field of claimant personal injury litigation.‘
‘Jonathan Wheeler is one of the leading lawyers for abuse claims.‘
‘This is a team with fantastic expertise and significant experience.‘
‘Ahmed Al-Nahhas knows military law backwards and leaves no stone unturned in fighting for his clients, but in an impressively suave and relaxed way.‘
- Representing multiple Armed Forces personnel who have experienced a Non-Freezing Cold Injury as a result of negligent exposures to the cold during military exercises.
- Acted for an adult claimant who was involved in a road traffic accident and sustained a severe brain injury, including arranging a multi-disciplinary rehabilitation package.
- Representing a client who was sexually assaulted and abused by a teacher during childhood.
Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors' strength lies in its significant 'experience across the board of personal injury claims', acting in a wide variety of cases, including catastrophic injury claims arising from all types of accidents, as well as multi-party actions, inquests, and fatal claims. The work undertaken is often 'unusual and high profile', and frequently covers international jurisdictions. The team is jointly headed by industrial disease specialist Isobel Lovett and 'excellent lawyer' Leticia Williams, who is regularly instructed in repetitive strain injury claims and complex road traffic accident cases. The firm's asbestos offering was bolstered by the arrival of Lorna Webster, formerly of Thompsons Solicitors LLP. 'Capable' practitioner Riffat Yaqub is also noted for dealing with a diverse range of matters, including employers' and occupiers' liability claims and sexual abuse.
‘This team has a varied practice with experience across the board of personal injury claims, including some unusual and high profile cases.‘
‘Riffat Yaqub is bright, capable and and an effective team player.‘
‘Leticia Williams is an excellent lawyer. Her knowledge of her caseload is comprehensive and she often anticipates points before they even arise.‘
‘They are prepared to take on difficult cases and always have their clients’ best interests at heart. ‘
‘Ken Brough is a very experienced solicitor who has great judgement and knows a winning case. He has a confident manner and is great with clients. Ken’s experience is invaluable in difficult cases. He does not get flustered and offers a clear-headed analysis in the most pressing of situations‘.
- Representing three sisters from the UAE who were savagely attacked in their hotel rooms, in a claim listed in the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for 91 claimants who claim to have developed the serious neurological disorders, narcolepsy and cataplexy, after receiving the Pandemrix swine flu vaccine.
- Acting in a living mesothelioma claim on behalf of a client who was exposed to asbestos while working in a factory.
Boutique firm Osbornes has 'captured the magic of keeping the customer service levels of a smaller firm whilst having all the expertise and power of the biggest firms'. Stuart Kightley heads up the department and oversees the serious injury, cycling, travel and foreign language teams, the latter of which has a particular focus on representing Eastern European clients. The key contacts for catastrophic injury work, including spinal cord and brain injuries and high-value fatalities, are associate Robert Aylott and 'talented' team lead Ben Posford, who 'approaches his cases with confidence and realism'. For child abuse claims, Stephanie Prior is the recommended practitioner, and is frequently instructed by the victims of high-profile abusers.
Other key lawyers:
‘Osbornes is an exceptional personal injury law firm.‘
‘A really strong team, led by Ben Posford, who is an exceptionally experienced and talented catastrophic injury lawyer.‘
‘A superb boutique catastrophic injury firm.‘
‘Stephanie Prior is very good with troubled clients and is easily able to make them feel at ease.‘
‘Osbornes Law have captured the magic of keeping the customer service levels of a smaller firm whilst having all the expertise and power of the biggest firms.‘
‘Ben Posford is a hugely experienced solicitor who approaches his cases with confidence and realism.‘
A significant proportion of Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP's personal injury instructions come from the Police Federation, and Tristan Hallam in particular has 'huge experience handling claims on behalf of police officers'. Hallam leads the team jointly with 'star performer' Warren Collins, the latter of whom is known for representing catastrophically injured claimants from both the UK and US. The firm also takes on traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, orthopaedic injuries, loss of limb cases, fatal accident claims and psychiatric injuries, and is focused on ensuring prompt rehabilitation for clients.
‘The team has some exceptional individual practitioners, which enables them to compete with larger personal injury specialist firms.’
‘Warren Collins is a star performer whose ability to think out of the box is second to none.’
‘This team deals flawlessly with the most catastrophic claims.’
‘Tristan Hallam is one of London’s leading personal injury lawyers and has huge experience handling claims on behalf of police officers in particular.’
- Successfully concluded a claim for a former NATO and US army official who was brain injured while visiting a London hotel.
- Representing a Hungarian national who was catastrophically brain injured as a pedestrian in the UK.
- Acting for multiple members of the police federation, in particular officers whose injuries prevent them from returning to front line or non-adjusted duties.
In a recent example of its ability to 'attract some of the most high-profile personal injury cases imaginable', the team at Slater and Gordon, with Patrick Maguire at the helm, is representing victims of the terror attacks at Westminster and London Bridge. In addition to its serious injury practice, the firm also fields a specialised industrial disease team, headed by Edmund Young, which handles the full range of work-related injuries, particularly those relating to asbestos-induced illness. Another notable practitioner is Nick Godwin, whose 'forensic mind' ensures that he 'charts his way through even the most complex cases'.
‘Slater & Gordon manages to attract some of the most high-profile personal injury cases imaginable.‘
‘Nick Godwin has a phenomenal eye for detail and leaves no stone unturned in getting the best result for his client. A forensic legal mind means he charts his way through even the most complex cases.‘
‘A powerhouse firm.‘
‘Will Cornwell is at the top of his profession in this field.‘
- Successfully settled a case for a claimant who sustained a significant brain injury as well as a number of other serious orthopaedic injuries when crossing the road.
- Successfully represented a brain-injured claimant in the Court of Appeal on an issue of vicarious liability.
- Acted for the financially dependent family in a fatal claim.
The personal injury team at Howard Kennedy LLP is frequently instructed by trade union clients, including the Royal College of Nursing and the Society of Radiographers, for work related stress and upper limb disorder claims. These areas, along with manual handling injury claims, are particular specialisms of practice head Elizabeth Smith. Another key practitioner is Joel Leigh, who frequently handles fatal accident at work claims, including in the oil and gas industries, and in the context of sporting activities.
Other key lawyers:
Royal College of Nursing
Society of Radiographers
- Acted on behalf of former politician Harvey Proctor who developed severe psychiatric injury when accused of rape, murder and other paedophile offences by a man who was subsequently exposed and convicted as a fantasist.
Jane Woodcock, practice head at Hudgell Solicitors, frequently handles claims relating to catastrophic and life-changing injuries and fatalities, with many cases revolving around accidents which happen in the workplace. Much of the work handled by the firm also involves amputated and reconstructed limbs, and matters involving extensive periods of rehabilitation.
‘The team is well managed and there are specialist and experienced solicitors who deal with a range of abuse cases. The team’s strengths lie in providing a specialist service based on a real commitment to the client’s interests, particularly when dealing with highly damaged individuals. The level of expertise overall is easily on a par with other larger specialist firms.’
‘Malcolm Johnson is one of the foremost solicitors specialising in claimant abuse cases. He is an established and well-respected author on this area of the law and he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the legal issues on these cases. He manages the team very efficiently and his knowledge and experience pervades the whole team’s ethos. The team always obtains good results for their clients and I am very impressed with the standard of legal knowledge and commitment that Malcolm has engendered in the team. He would be my “go-to” solicitor for this type of case.’
‘The team show unparalleled client care and really make clients feel that they are working in their best interests.’
Kent Pattinson has huge experience in claimant personal injury litigation having run many of the leading spinal injury cases in the past three decades. He is enormously empathetic with clients and offers great support throughout the litigation process because he has unique insight on the toll that litigation takes. He is pragmatic and has a good feel for when to fight and when to compromise.’
‘Malcolm Johnson is an excellent lawyer, genuinely very knowledgeable within his field, and a compassionate person who really cares about his clients. He is very thorough and always on top of paperwork, and is always calm under pressure. Highly recommended.’
Prince Evans Solicitors LLP
With 'simply superb' practice head Gary Smith at the helm, Prince Evans Solicitors LLP's personal injury team acts for severely and catastrophically injured claimants, particularly those who have suffered neurotrauma, spinal cord damage, or brachial plexus injury. The firm also has significant experience handling Mental Capacity Act and Court of Protection matters. Senior associate Debra Harling is a key name to note for brain and spinal injury.
Other key lawyers:
‘This firm undertakes high quality and high value claimant personal injury work.‘
‘Gary Smith is simply superb.‘
‘They are unique in having a very small but extremely capable team who manage to service a high volume of work to an incredibly high standard.‘
- Advised on a cross-border personal injury claim involving an 18 year old female who suffered a below knee amputation when living in Holland, resulting in substantial damages following Dutch mediation.
- Successfully achieved a settlement of £1m for a young female claimant who had suffered a displaced fracture of her spinal column resulting in mild spinal deformity.
- Acting for an Indian national who was catastrophically brain injured following an accident at work.
Russell-Cooke LLP is a 'well-established and expert firm' which brings 'significant expertise' to the full gamut of personal injury work, including stress at work claims, historical sex abuse cases, and multi-party actions. The team is jointly headed by Janice Gardner, whose current caseload includes a high-value overseas catastrophic injury claim; 'brilliant and dedicated lawyer' Sarah Towler; fatal claims expert Dominic Fairclough; and Lucy Wilton, who regularly handles catastrophic injuries.
Other key lawyers:
‘Well-established and expert firm dealing with PI claims of all types and with significant expertise.’
‘Sarah Towler is the sort of solicitor you want on your side and not against you – a brilliant and dedicated lawyer.’
‘RC deal in a variety of high-end claimant personal injury claims.’
- Acting for a claimant who suffered catastrophic spinal injuries in a waterslide accident at Aqualandia in Benidorm.
- Representing several family members who witnessed the killing of an innocent man by their loved one.
- Successfully settled for a 53 year old claimant after she suffered a severe open fracture to the left wrist, necessitating four surgeries.
Thompsons Solicitors LLP
Thompsons Solicitors LLP remains the panel firm of choice for many trade unions, and is regularly instructed by both UNISON and Unite the Union. The team has a 'reputation for fighting for justice' on behalf of those injured at work or in road traffic accidents. Industrial disease matters handled include upper limb disorders, deafness, respiratory disease, and work-related stress. National head of serious injury Samantha Hemsley is noted by a client as 'an absolute star in her field'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Thompsons has established a justified reputation for fighting for justice on behalf of its clients.‘
‘The client absolutely comes first for every single member of the team.‘
‘Samantha Hemsley is an absolute star in her field. She has an outstanding track record of dealing with catastrophic injury claims with skill, empathy and tenacity.‘
- Successfully recovered £85,000 in damages in a mesothelioma claim.
The personal injury team at Duncan Lewis Solicitors acts on behalf of victims of fatal accidents, as well as representing those who have suffered injuries that have had a detrimental effect on their lifestyle and ability to work. The practice is jointly headed by Rebecca Thomas and Julie Leslie, both of whom have experience handling road traffic accidents, occupiers' liability claims, and asbestos illnesses.
‘This is a firm that often represents vulnerable clients and their client care is excellent.‘
‘Julie Leslie goes out of her way to ensure that her clients feel engaged as active participants in the legal process.‘
The personal injury team at Hugh James regularly handles catastrophic and serious injury litigation, and in particular has 'real expertise in child sex abuse claims'. This latter area of specialism is a particular focus for Alan Collins, who has the 'expertise, ferocity and sensitivity that is particularly required'. Collins heads the practice jointly with Mark Harvey.
‘They have real expertise in child sex abuse claims and other civil damages/human rights act damages claims.‘
‘They are an extremely professional and conscientious group of solicitors.‘
‘Alan Collins is a star- he has the expertise, ferocity and sensitivity that is particularly required for sex abuse claims.‘
‘Client-focused firm, able to meet the needs of clients with different psychosocial backgrounds.‘
Victims in the Philippines
The former residents of Les Chenes
30 claimants claiming damages against Gloucestershire Police
Various claimants sent to Australia and Southern Rhodesia between 1950 and 1970
- Representing the former residents of the Les Chenes children’s home in Jersey in their claim for damages arising from unlawful imprisonment.
- Acted for 30 claimants seeking damages against Gloucestershire Police following a breach of data protection provisions which resulted in potential victims of abuse accidentally being identified by means of an email.
- Leading a claim against the UK government for damages arising from the migration programmes which saw children being sent to Australia and Southern Rhodesia between 1950 and 1970.
Following the merger between legacy Moore Blatch and Barlow Robbins, Moore Barlow's 'very committed and successful' personal injury team, is jointly headed by 'master tactician' Damian Horan, who regularly acts on high-value brain and spinal injury claims, and major trauma expert Trevor Sterling. The firm is instructed on some of London’s most high profile cases, including the Westminster Bridge terror attacks and the Croydon tram crash.
‘The PI team at Moore Barlow is first class, young and brilliantly created and guided by Trevor Sterling.‘
‘A small but very committed and successful team with a number of catastrophic cases handled very successfully and with sensitivity and care.‘
‘Damian Horan is exceptional – extremely calm and reassuring, an excellent team player and a master tactician.‘
‘A unique blend of individuals who collectively consistently deliver outstanding support for their clients.‘
- Representing a young claimant who sustained a severe traumatic brain injury resulting in substantial disability.
- Acting for the family of a man who suffered an axonal brain injury in a road traffic accident and remains in a minimally conscious state.
- Representing a 47 year old male who sustained complex musculoskeletal injuries when he was involved in a motorcycle versus car collision.
Pattinson & Brewer
The personal injury team at Pattinson & Brewer receives frequent instructions from clients in the trade union sector, as the firm is known for handling claims relating to accidents at work, as well as industrial disease cases. Practice head Frances McCarthy also has extensive experience acting in maximum severity and fatal claims.