Devonshires Solicitors LLP is ‘excellent in both knowledge, efficiency and litigation know how’ across all areas of debt collection and ancillary matters, including forensic recovery and contentious insolvency, situations of bankruptcy and company liquidations. The firm reports increased activity from both lenders and private property firms seeking the recovery of monies resulting from post covid restrictions. Senior partners Robert Edge and Jim Varley have built up a reputation in liquidations, administrations, pre-packs, LPA and fixed charge receiverships. David Pack and Nikki Bowker are key litigators.
Firms in the Spotlight Debt recovery
Ronald Fletcher Baker LLP
Ronald Fletcher Baker has an established track record of success in even the most complex cases. Litigation and Dispute Resolution has been a focus of the firm since its inception in 1948, and our highly experienced team is widely recognised for its skill in this area. The firm deals with a broad range of commercial …View Profile...
Debt recovery in London
Robert Edge; Jim Varley
Other key lawyers:
David Pack; Nikki Bowker
‘Devonshires are excellent in both their knowledge, efficiency and their litigation know how. They are proper big players in the busy English litigation market, and especially in the debt recovery sphere.’
‘Robert Edge is our go-to litigator. He is excellent, approachable and market leading in our opinion. His team equally are excellent and have never put a foot wrong in any case passed to them.’
‘The debt recovery team has a dynamic “can do” attitude, providing an excellent, transparent service from beginning to end. The team takes time to fully understand clients’ wishes and needs, issuing regular updates to keep them seamlessly well-informed. Their recently launched Debt Recovery Portal provides an efficient and effective service to those clients wishing to pursue outstanding debts, at a very reasonable cost.’
‘Robert Edge has a deep understanding of his discipline and exceptional communication skills. This enables him to talk with clients at their level, taking the time to explain all the options available to them. I have always found Robert very approachable and a consummate professional – he is a credit to the firm.’
‘Robert Edge is excellent and always provides very prompt and honest feedback.’
Michael Page International
Tower Quay Limited
- Recovery of long overdue and substantial monies across jurisdictions to the significant benefit of our client without the need to incur significant costs to our client in filing suit.
- Through correspondence and negotiation, finding commercial settlement in respect of aged invoices, again without the need of presenting proceedings and likely lengthy and expensive litigation.
- Our recovery of monies in the US for and on behalf of our client subsequent to issuing proceedings and obtaining Judgment despite the matter being contested.
DWF is particularly active in assisting retailers, local authorities, banks and national blue chip corporates, and is aiding in the development of new recovery solutions as business models evolve post Covid. Senior director Kevin Feehan heads up the Leeds-based department, and has over 30 years’ experience in debt recovery and litigation. Jeffersen Gledhill has developed a specialism in fraud and civil recovery. Ryan Jurgelis-Hinnells‘ recoveries-focused practice concentrates on general collection matters, uninsured driver cases, property damage and civil recovery. David Scottow is the national head of recoveries.
Kevin Feehan; Jeffersen Gledhill; Ryan Jurgelis-Hinnells
Other key lawyers:
‘The team act in a professional & courteous manner at all times. They are extremely prompt in dealing with matters/answering queries & are always available to give advice.’
adidas (U.K.) Ltd
Asda Stores Ltd
British Telecommunications PLC
Co-Operative Group Ltd
DX Network Services Ltd
Fleetcor Europe Ltd
Hire Station Ltd
Marks and Spencer PLC
Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd
Scottish Water Business Stream Ltd
Tesco Stores Ltd
- Collaborating with Comsec Investigations, advised Adidas, the largest sportswear manufacturer in Europe, on online return and delivery frauds.
- Advising a market-leading and award winning pension administrator, looking after the interests of more than half a million members and 170 employers across the UK, in respect of recovery of payments made by mistake to beneficiaries.
- Consulting with one of the largest integrated veterinary services providers in the United Kingdom and acting as a virtual extension to over 500 veterinary surgeries’ credit control procedures, providing debt collection, legal recoveries and enforcement services.
Offering UK-wide capability, Shoosmiths LLP maintains a strong reputation in early arrears management, pre-legal collections and negotiation, litigation and enforcement of judgments. Leading the commercial recoveries team, Paula Swain, based in the Southampton office, ‘will go above and beyond‘ assisting corporate clients in disputes around guarantees and indemnities, complex asset recoveries, breach of warranty and fraud claims. Senior associates Stephen Eastley and Jade Souch continue to be active in contentious recovery, contested insolvency and guarantee and indemnity claims.
Other key lawyers:
Jade Souch; Stephen Eastley
‘The team at Shoosmiths are always very helpful and resourceful and will go above and beyond to overcome any challenges that may arise. The level of service received is exceptional compared to another firm we also use.’
‘We deal with Jade Souch and Stephen Eastley when defended cases arise – this team is very professional and give clear and concise commercial advice regarding the cases.’
‘Paula Swain is always on hand should we need her help and expertise, and will go above and beyond to make sure we are happy and receive a high level of service.’
‘This is a team that genuinely cares about their clients and their client’s clients. They understand the individual client and business needs for each, and provide solutions accordingly.’
‘Paula Swain is a dynamo! Innovative, energetic, knowledgeable, experienced and hugely generous with all of the above. If Paula says something will be done, she will move heaven and earth to ensure it is. She is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Paula Swain is an excellent relationship manager. She is knowledgeable, responsive and solutions-focused.’
‘The team at Shoosmiths are always very helpful and resourceful and will go above and beyond to overcome any challenges that may arise. The level of service received is exceptional.’
‘The team is knowledgeable about our sector and the challenges we face.’
Wedlake Bell is renowned for its work in the utilities and finance sectors, acting for debt buyers and lenders as well as insurers, landlords, government departments and local government. Frances Coulson has over 30 years’ experience in contentious insolvency, covering all forms of debt, with particular expertise in cases involving fraud and injunctive relief. Coulson co-heads the sizeable practice with Charles Robinson, a leading figure in the utilities debt arena, where he developed a specialisation in countering fraud including phoenixism, ‘creditor avoidance’ and commodity theft. Graham McPhie acts in disrepair claims and other legal services for social housing.
Frances Coulson; Charles Robinson
Other key lawyers:
‘Industry knowledge is second to none.’
‘Exceptional understanding of the industry I work in.’
‘The team are incredibly knowledgable with regard to our industry and provide really thorough advice when needed. Their pleadings and general drafting is of the highest standard.’
British Gas Trading Ltd
E.ON UK plc
Npower Commercial Gas
Orsted Energy Sales UK Limited
- Advised British Gas in respect of a variety of unpaid electricity charges.
- Prosecuted petition for costs for BGC Partners LLP against debtor who deployed debt breathing space and foreshadowed further breathing space relief.
- Advised E.ON Energy in respect of a variety of unpaid electricity charges.
Clarke Willmott LLP‘s expertise ranges from high-volume, pre-legal debt collection to every aspect of litigation and insolvency action. Team lead Philip Roberts, who is based in Taunton, leads on all recovery actions, and is highlighted for his expertise handling insolvency actions (defended and undefended), insurance recoveries, leasehold and secured debt recovery and enforcement. Stuart Hoysted is the lead senior associate for enforcement action.
Other key lawyers:
Hyde Housing Group
Waters and Gate
Ministry of Defence
Premier Training International Limited
London Borough of Enfield
Wembley National Stadium Limited
- Advised Corona Energy on high volume and complex debt recovery and insolvency matters.
- Provided debt recovery services to leading debt collection agency Waters & Gate.
- Undertook high volume leasehold debt recovery on behalf of registered provider, Hyde Housing.
Duncan Lewis Solicitors' team is praised by clients for being 'hard-working and really interested in getting the right result.' The department acts for both claimants and defendants, and is jointly led by Sobashni De Silva, a specialist in commercial debt recovery who is sought after by Middle Eastern clients in cross-border matters, and Anthony Okumah, a ‘highly effective and commercially and tactically savvy litigator.’ Associates Karolina Natkaniec and Thomas Clark are also recommended.
Sobashni de Silva; Anthony Okumah
Other key lawyers:
Karolina Natkaniec; Thomas Clark
‘The team has a diverse client base, and is adept at getting to the nub of their clients’ disputes.’
‘Sobashni De Silva is a star.’
‘Hard-working and really interested in getting the right result for their clients.’
‘Sobashni de Silva. She has a real understanding of her clients’ needs.’
‘Anthony Okumah is a highly effective and commercially and tactically savvy litigator. Karolina Natkaniec is very much a rising star in Duncan Lewis in this field.’
‘Duncan Lewis has been a life-saver. They were there for me when I felt truly helpless. They provided me with someone to talk to, which relieved a lot of emotional strain. I will be forever grateful.’
‘Thomas Clark is simply a star. He has gone above and beyond and provided excellent duty of care. Sobashni de Silva is a fantastic lawyer and partner.’
Byron Height Limited
Babel Green Limited
Rajan and Dev Developments Limited
New Health Supplies Limited
Salisbury Support 4 Autism Limited
- Engaged by a Libyan national to enforce a Libyan court judgment in the UK. The case involved a $2.2m debt from a breached partnership agreement with a foreign national living in the UK.
- Obtained $6.5 million judgement after being approached by SES Ltd to obtain a Worldwide Freezing Order against a former business associate, Mr. V. The dispute involved an outstanding debt in excess of £5m.
- Advised a Nigerian property investment company with UK properties, which had been induced into a short-term loan agreement with a UK lender for £1.6 million at extortionate interest and penalties. The lender pursued recovery when the company couldn’t redeem the loan.
Judge & Priestley LLP‘s practice is subdivided between commercial and local authority litigation and asset recoveries, and subrogated insurance claims. Rachel Addai takes the lead on local authority debt recovery, with Mark Oakley also assisting in local authority debt and leaseholder disputes. Uday Patel heads the finance and utility debt recovery. Mark Younger and Robert Davis oversee the recovery operations and processes for insurance clients.
Mark Oakley; Rachel Addai; Robert Davis; Mark Younger; Uday Patel
‘Good knowledge on debt litigation.’
‘Over many years the firm has demonstrated great professionalism, knowledge, and experience in debt recovery. The firm is proactive in collaboration and engaging with our organisation, and support us in the recovery of different types of debts. J&P Solicitors’ great expertise in adult social care debt has given us the opportunities to improve our collection.’
‘Rachel Addai, a partner at the law firm, provides invaluable counsel. Rachel has led the challenges of some of our high-profile cases, convening debt conferences to help senior officers grasp the issues at stake. These have resulted in desirable and successful outcomes.’
‘They understand the industry very well and provide us with expert advice when needed. Their success rate is very high.’
‘Their attention to detail and service to clients is fantastic.’
‘Rachel Addai is a true leader – always available, extremely knowledgeable, and always willing to help us.’
London Borough of Southwark
Edge Recovery Limited
- Acting for Regent Gas Limited in a multi-million claim for back-billed gas supply to a major dairy manufacturer in a claim issued in the High Court. The dispute centres around niche regulatory and statutory provision relating to a utility supplier’s ability to back-bill and a defence of estoppel.
- Taking action against a director of a company in liquidation seeking contribution to the company accounts from the director under section 212 of the Insolvency Act.
- Advising London Borough of Lambeth in a court of appeal judicial review matter relating to the exercise of power in imposing a multi-million pound Community Infrastructure Levy on a property developer.