Debt recovery in London
Specialist firm drydensfairfax solicitors handles debt recovery and debt litigation mandates, both volume and complex, for major lenders, debt purchasers and financial institutions. Key names include executive chairman Philip Holden, who specialises in high-value debt recovery and insolvency actions, Steve Heighway, who manages the operational team, and head of FCA compliance Chris Woodhead.
The team at DWF, which is split between Leeds and London, 'applies a common-sense commercial attitude' to debt recovery, handling front-end collections, strategic enforcement and insolvency proceedings, as well as contested and defended litigation. Clients include a variety of major corporates, central government departments and local authorities. Debt litigation and insolvency expert David Scottow leads the national team, while the civil recovery service is led by director Kevin Feehan. The technical team is headed by director James Perry, who handles non-standard, complex cases for departmental clients.
‘David Scottow is extremely personable and approachable whilst retaining a practical and professional approach to dealing with clients and staff alike.‘
‘They are efficient in processing and delivering the service required.‘
‘Clients are very highly regarded and that translates across the team in terms of whomever you might speak to about specific cases.‘
Anglian Water Services
High Court Enforcement Officers Association
Marks And Spencer Plc
- Dealing with various complaints against High Court enforcement officers. James Perry is the High Court Enforcement Officers Association’s independent solicitor, which involves sitting on a complaints panel.
- Dealing with the recovery of unpaid invoices, interest and late payments for the supply of 20 tonnes of steel for Hillsborough Steelstock.
- Advised on recovery of recruitment fees for Chester Wharfe.
- Representing large healthcare provider in the recovery of care home fees and in the same action defending a clinical negligence counterclaim.
Moon Beever's team is noted for its utilities sector debt collection expertise, assisting major suppliers on volume and specialist work, including cases of energy theft. It also handles consumer and commercial collections for financial services clients. Senior partner Frances Coulson heads the overall business recovery department, while other key figures include financial litigation expert Graham McPhie and utilities litigator Charles Robinson.
‘The team communicates and responds to queries and advice in a timely manner.‘
‘Charles Robinson has a vast understanding of the B2B utility sector, both operationally and legally.‘
‘The team works well together.‘
British Gas Trading
Orsted Energy Sales UK
- Advised on recovery of a significant element of charges accrued over a nine-year period, a substantial element of which would ordinarily have been irrecoverable through limitation.
- Advised on recovery by a major energy client of £4.5m for stolen gas.
Housed within the firm's risk and litigation services department, the 'client-centric' debt recovery team at Shoosmiths LLP is instructed by clients throughout the UK and Northern Ireland. The group is able to handle cross-jurisdictional matters, with services including unsecured and secured consumer and corporate lending recoveries, asset-based and invoice finance lending recoveries and trade debt commercial recoveries; drawing on Financial Conduct Authority permissions for debt administration, collection and mortgage administration. The national group is jointly led by Jim Taylor, Melanie Chell, Paula Swain, Rod Macphail, Jason Byrne and Gillian Crotty.
Jim Taylor; Mel Chell; Mel Chell; Rod Macphail; Jason Byrne; Gillian Crotty
‘Whilst many other service providers sometimes make you feel like a distraction, Shoosmiths actively do their best to put the client first and get the best outcome with minimal fuss.‘
‘Mel Chell is clearly very knowledgeable and always up to speed with key industry trends.‘
‘The team provides quick and timely advice and quick to proceed with direction.‘
Aldermore Invoice Finance
BNP Paribas Personal Finance
Cabot Credit Management
Nationwide Building Society
- Acting for wholesale motor finance subsidiary of Close Brothers in relation to litigation arising out of a funding facility with a motor dealer.
- Acting for a high street bank in relation to receivership of converted barns and holiday complex in Cornwall.
- Instructed by JBR Capital and Praetura Asset Finance regarding two high performance vehicles that they suspected had been fraudulently shipped abroad to Northern Cyprus and sold out of trust.
Philip Roberts and Kathryn Quinton co-lead Clarke Willmott LLP's team, which offers services including pre-legal collection, legal collection, payment agreements, insolvency actions and general debt recovery advice on volume and standalone matters. The group works closely with an IT team to allow it to offer bespoke debt collection process design.
Philip Roberts; Kathryn Quinton
Other key lawyers:
Stuart Hoysted; Karen Helier
‘Fast responses to client requests for help when customer issues arise‘
‘Very friendly and always willing to go the extra mile for clients‘
The Insolvency Service
Premier Training International
London Borough of Enfield
Wembley National Stadium
- Instructed by Corona Energy to recover unpaid commercial and residential gas and electricity debts.
- Acted for Wireless Logic and used a Part 36 offer to successfully achieve out-of-court settlement of a disputed debt involving two third parties.
- Instructed by the London Borough of Enfield to recover debts arising from unpaid council tax and business rates pursuant to liability orders obtained.
- Ongoing contract with the Insolvency Service for the collection of Income Payment Agreements, Book debts and Antecedent/Specialist Recoveries under the Insolvency Act for the benefit of creditors.
Devonshires Solicitors LLP's clients include a mix of City SMEs, financial institutions, large multinational businesses, social housing landlords and local authorities. The team, which is spread across London, Colchester and Leeds, handles all forms of secured and unsecured debt recovery. Robert Edge and Jim Varley co-lead the team. Matthew Hennessy-Gibbs left the firm after a seven-year stint to join Keystone Law in May 2018.
Robert Edge; Jim Varley
Other key lawyers:
Nikki Bowker; Ann Dixon; Matthew Garbutt; Pauline Lepissier
Michael Page International
High Top Property
- Pursuing monies due under recruitment contact in Dubai for Michael Page International.