Debt recovery in London
Providing 'a fantastic service from start to finish', Devonshires Solicitors LLP has a full-service debt recovery department, which advises SMEs, financial institutions, multinationals, social housing sector clients and local authorities, from its offices in London, Colchester and Leeds. Practice co-head Robert Edge 'works tirelessly to get the desired results for his clients', on matters including secured and unsecured debts within the UK and overseas. Jim Varley is the other team leader, specialising in forensic recovery and contentious insolvency. Litigator Nikki Bowker has developed impressive knowledge in injunctive relief.
‘Provide an effective and efficient debt recovery service.’
‘The firm are very well organised and professional always striving to do their best for their clients. They are extremely knowledgeable in all areas.’
‘A fantastic service from start to finish from Robert Edge and his team and everything is explained in details and options passed to us on how to proceed.’
‘Robert Edge works tirelessly to get the desired results for his clients. I consider him an expert in debt recovery.‘
Michael Page International
Turpin Barker Armstrong
Carter Backer Winter
Trek Bicycle Corporation Ltd
Global Fruit Ltd
Global Reach Forex
High Top Property Ltd
Dedman Gray Property
Tower Quay Property
- Recovery of monies post filing suit in the US and a significant counterclaim being received.Subsequent to successfully pursuing our action defending the counterclaim payment was received.This is an example of our expertise in successfully addressing complex matters across jurisdiction.
- We pursued an outstanding sum of £44,160.06, the majority of which was disputed and in turn a Statutory Demand was served upon our client in respect of a £20,000.00 purported debt under the threat of a Winding-Up Petition.Over the course of a number of months and numerous correspondence payment was received by our client.An example of our ability to address complex issues and recover monies whilst keeping costs to a minimum to the benefit of our client.
- We pursued a long outstanding debt of £20,784.00 for fees in respect of services provided. Within six weeks full payment had been received by our client.This is a prime example of not only our ability for swift and decisive action but our understanding of differing industries.
Spread between London and Leeds, the debt recovery team at DWF assists major corporates, insurers and local authorities with front-end collections, strategic enforcement and litigation. The group is well-placed to handle both volume and high-value matters, drawing on in-house debt recovery software expertise. National head of recoveries David Scottow specialises in debt litigation and insolvency. Kevin Feehan leads the civil recovery group, focusing on cases involving theft, fraud, non-payment, shoplifting an the over-payment of salaries. James Perry spearheads the technical team, which handles non-standard cases and Jefferson Gledhill is the leader of the legal recoveries team, which focuses on deceased debt, possession proceedings and the return of goods for retailers and wholesalers.
‘The service provided is excellent and the team at DWF have an excellent knowledge of the subject area. They are efficient in processing and delivering the service required.’
‘I would not use any other team than that at DWF for the service we require.’
‘David Scottow, James Perry and Jefferson Gledhill have an excellent knowledge across all areas of debt recovery, debt litigation and enforcement.’
Anglian Water Services Ltd
Sainsburys Supermarkets Ltd
High Court Enforcement Officers Association
DX Network Services Limited
Marks And Spencer Plc
Asda Stores Ltd
WM Morrisons Supermarkets PLC
Scottish Water Business Stream Ltd
London Universities Purchasing Consortium
British Telecommunications Plc
- Advised client on the recovery of unpaid invoices. The case took a different direction when the Defendant questioned the methodology behind the calculations and fees charged by issuing a counterclaim for a six-figure sum. Case was eventually settled at a mediation.
- Advised client on the recovery of c. £600k. Proceedings issued in Technology and Construction Court. Successfully dismissed claim that the matter should be heard and dealt with in Florida. This was despite the contract paying regard to Floridian law.
Moon Beever's partner-led team is most noted for its specialism in utilities debt recovery, but the group has also developed a strong financial services-related practice, Other areas where the firm stands out are cases involving fraud, energy theft and insolvency-related recovery. The team is coordinated by head of the insolvency and litigation department Frances Coulson. Financial and commercial litigator Graham Mcphie works alongside Coulson on financial services- and insurance-related cases, while Charles Robinson leads on recovery. While the London-based team handles high-end recovery, a separate team in Braintree is set-up to handle lower-value, volume work.
British Gas Trading Ltd
Orsted Energy Sales UK Limited
Landlords and/ or tenants
- Volume collection contract for government agency.
- Volume and individual collections for various law firms-defended and undefended.
- Volume collections for debt buyer (financial services).
The group at Shoosmiths LLP sits within the risk and litigation services department, handling UK-wide debt recovery work. This is a full-service offering, meaning the team handles pre-legal collections in addition to litigation and enforcement. Other areas of expertise include providing advice on arrears management, recoveries negotiations, litigation and monitoring of debt recovery agreements. Paula Swain heads the commercial recoveries team, handling debts arising from commercial disputes. Jim Taylor leads the consumer finance litigation and recoveries department, assisting lenders and debt purchasers, while Melanie Chell is responsible for the motor and asset finance recoveries service.
‘Shoosmiths have provided a cohesive and knowledgeable team to support our legal work.’
‘The linkage to the in house collection processes are good ensuring a good outcome.‘
‘Paula Swain as partner is always available for contact and is both knowledgeable and focused on us a a client.‘
Royal Bank of Scotland
Clarke Willmott LLP's 'tenacious' team is jointly led by Philip Roberts and Kathryn Quinton and advises government departments, local authorities, utilities and insurance companies and corporates on the spectrum of debt recovery issues. Expertise includes pre-legal and legal collection, payment agreements, insolvency actions and advise on issues such as pre-action protocols for debt claims compliance and process reviews. The group is supported by a dedicated IT team, enabling it to tailor collection and data processes to particular clients. Senior associate Stuart Hoysted, a technical director, is an enforcement expert.
Other key lawyers:
‘The entire team that we deal with are knowledgeable, helpful and respond within a timely manner.’
‘They are tenacious in their efforts and especially when it comes to difficult cases they do not give up.’
‘Friendly efficient approach always willing to explain and value us as their clients.’
The Insolvency Service
Wembley National Stadium Ltd
Escada (UK) Ltd
Viridor Waste Management
Warner Bros. Entertainment UK Ltd
Plymouth Block Management
Fresh Property Management Ltd
Thames Water Utilities Ltd
Premier Training International Ltd
Driving Standards Agency
Build Supplies Ltd
The Financial Conduct Authority
- Sole legal provider assisting in the collection of Income Payment Agreements and recovery of Directors Loans, Antecedent Recoveries and Book Debts
- Instructed to recover unpaid regulatory fees from FCA registered firms.
- Advise and instructed on the recovery of unpaid annual fees from members.
At Duncan Lewis Solicitors, the team specialises in complex and high-value debt claims for companies and individuals, predominantly in the financial sector and in relation to bankruptcy proceedings. The firm is also noted for its defendant side work, where practice co-head Anthony Okumah has particular expertise in the commercial property space. Sobashni De Silva, who also leads the group, is particularly focused on defending high-net-worth individuals and businesses in debt-related cases, and has developed a solid practice assisting with cross-border matters involving Saudi Arabia and UAE.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team members that I have been working with are extremely kind, caring and supportive. They’ve made me feel that I am in safe hands.’
‘Thomas Clark is a star! He has always been available to answer any questions that I’ve had, address any concerns, and make sure that I’ve understood what was going on during the hearing.’
‘Sobashni De Silva is an outstanding lawyer. I feel that she is fighting hard for me, and that she has gone the extra mile to put me in the best legal position possible.’
‘All over the detail of both the facts and the law.’
- Instructed in relation to defending possession proceedings initiated by Barclays Bank PLC in respect of outstanding debt on the Mortgage Account and linked Overdraft Facility.
- Acting for the Defendant in a cross jurisdiction debt recovery claim brought by the Claimant, Emirates National Bank of Dubai.
- Instructed to advise and assist the client in relation to debt recovery/enforcement against their former builder. The client had obtained a final charging order against the Defendant’s property in the sum of £25,000, of which the client sought enforcement and recovery.