Devonshires Solicitors LLP retains its market-leading position for debt recovery, maintaining a steady flow of instructions spanning from the UK and internationally. Spearheaded from London by Robert Edge and Jim Varley , the full-service practice has demonstrable strength acting for financial institutions, large multinational firms, city-based SMEs and local authorities in pursuing payment from debtors and contentious insolvency related matters, particularly, forensic recovery. The team has a track record in recovery services across the recruitment, retail and construction sectors, which is enhanced via its secure debt collection portal designed to give real-time updates on cases. Ann Dixon is the name for high-level recoveries pertaining to commercial contracts and corporate disputes.
Firms in the Spotlight Debt recovery
Ronald Fletcher Baker LLP
Ronald Fletcher Baker has an established track record of success in even the most complex cases. Litigation and Dispute Resolution has been a focus of the firm since its inception in 1948, and our highly experienced team is widely recognised for its skill in this area. The firm deals with a broad range of commercial …View Profile...
Debt recovery in London
Robert Edge; Jim Varley
Other key lawyers:
‘Robert Edge is excellent in getting the job done, thoroughly knowledgable in his field with partner Jim Varley bringing a wealth of experience and knowledge.’
‘Robert Edge has excellent knowledge and listens to clients.’
‘The debt recovery team provide an excellent end to end service for their clients, working tirelessly to ensure their needs are met and the desired results achieved. The team have the ability to provide a commercially orientated fast, efficient and effective service enabling clients to focus on the running of their own business rather than spending excessive time and money pursuing outstanding debts.’
‘Robert Edge stands out from his peers because he is approachable, efficient and always pragmatic when negotiating costs. He understands that the client’s view is most important. Everything is explained in detail and options are discussed to ensure his clients are able to make a fully informed decision.’
‘Of the numerous qualities which I valued in Ann Dixon’s handling of my case, two were of particular note: 1) The rapidity and quality of Mrs. Dixon’s correspondence; my many written queries and request for updates were reliably replied to in a notably expeditious manner and with exceeding thoroughness, 2) The quality of advice; her understanding of the psychological elements of my case and its relevant individuals was outstanding and enabled a successful resolution of the matter.
‘Excellent communication – there was thorough attention to detail and extensive clarity was provided in all written communication. Verbal communication was, at all times, professional with demonstrably good listening skills shown and always exceedingly courteous and polite.’
Michael Page International
- For Michael Page International Recruitment Ltd, recovery of long overdue monies previously withheld in their entirety together with significant accrued statutory interest and costs thereby increasing the sum received and anticipated.
- Acting for Sodexo Ltd in a recovery of an aged debt by way of negotiation without the need of incurring costs of presenting proceedings.
- Recovery of monies in the US for and on behalf of Michael Page International Recruitment Ltd without the need to incur significant costs of filing suit and their attending a hearing.
DWF's team is overseen by national practice heads based in Leeds, and has a track record of acting for blue-chip companies, banks, central government departments and local authorities. The group is active in civil litigation, loss prevention, asset recovery matters and insolvency related work, and has strength across the energy, financial services and insurance sectors. Senior director Kevin Feehan holds various utilities companies as key clients, and is the key name alongside Jefferson Gledhill who has a specialism in fraud. Ryan Jurgelis-Hinnells is recommended for credit control and debt litigation. The firm also has a large contentious offering, advising on contested insolvency matters.
Kevin Feehan; Jeffersen Gledhill; Ryan Jurgelis-Hinnells
‘They feel like the colleagues I deal with I can approach and talk through situations. They are friendly and approachable.’
‘Always willing to help.’
Sainsburys Supermarkets Ltd
DX Network Services Limited
Marks And Spencer Plc
Asda Stores Ltd
WM Morrison Supermarkets Ltd
Scottish Water Business Stream Ltd
British Telecommunications Plc
Tesco Stores Limited
Genle Limited (GoTo Auctions)
Co-operative Group Limited
- Advised various clients in the financial services sector (including banking and pensions) on fraud-related matters and civil recovery options.’
- Advised various clients in the energy & natural resources sector, in particular water clients, including Severn Trent plc, in respect of consumer disputes and litigation, and Scottish Water Business Stream Limited, with litigation and enforcement services for commercial live and closed accounts in England.
- Appointed as strategic legal partner to BT, the global communications services company, providing managed services via DWF’s Recoveries Department. Offering reporting on Adverse Financial Information encompassing virtually all businesses and assets of the BT Group and providing claims support.
At Shoosmiths LLP, the national debt recoveries practice is led by Paula Swain based in the Solent office - it manages complex asset recoveries, fraud claims as well as pre-collection litigation for clients operating in the utilities, technology and financial services sectors. The firm has a joint venture business, Equivo, working alongside national recoveries and enforcement business, Chartsbridge from bases in London, Northampton and Manchester. The team has a tracks record of cases before the County and High Courts and has strong experience in insolvency work. Director of client services at Equivo, Melanie Chell, is the key name for asset-based lending litigation and consumer credit issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Our experience of Shoosmiths, is that they are people-led – genuine focus on the actual people involved in all sides of any equation’
‘Paula Swain who heads up this division – is extremely experienced, passionate and devoted. Paula always has time to share generously her knowledge, experience and to help others in anyway she can. Paula is a true ambassador for Shoosmiths and the profession.’
Wedlake Bell LLP is singled out for its strength operating in the utilities sector, with skill in the electricity and gas industry, spearheaded by highly rated Charles Robinson . Bolstered by its merger with Moon Beever, the team continues to be instructed on high value debt recovery matters, with specialisms in countering fraud and contentious insolvency work; Frances Coulson is the key contact for the former while financial services expert Graham Mcphie is recommended for the latter. The group works closely with its commercial litigation practice to provide a full service offering to clients. Other areas of activity include consumer collections.
Frances Coulson; Charles Robinson
Other key lawyers:
‘A thorough understanding of the utilities industry. Easily accessible with a great understanding of the sector.’
British Gas Trading Ltd
E.ON UK plc
Orsted Energy Sales UK Limited
- Achieving a £60,000 judgment with 100% costs award for Orsted Power Sales UK Limited following trial for electricity charges disputed on ground that contract signed without actual or ostensible authority.
- Advising a British gas business on a claim for electricity charges which were disputed by the Defendant on the ground that the reads and consumption were disputed and the company had vacated the building and were therefore not liable.
At Clarke Willmott LLP, the national practice is led by Philip Roberts out of Somerset, and acts for a steady client roster comprising local authorities, utility companies and government departments. The team advises on pre-debt collections, litigation and insolvency actions, including bankruptcy and enforcements. Anna O’Reilly focuses on the recovery of service charge arrears for residential managing agents while senior associate Stuart Hoysted handles complex insolvency instructions and has appeared before the Country Court.
Other key lawyers:
Anna O’Reilly; Stuart Hoysted
‘Approachability, always happy to help, quick response times.’
‘They are friendly, speak in laymans’ language and not legal speak, and so are easy to understand.’
‘They are totally self sufficient and run with the entire process from beginning to end. I hand over problem creditors and they cover all the rest.’
Thames Water Utilities Ltd
Premier Training International Ltd
London Borough of Enfield
The FA Group/ Wembley National Stadium
Ministry of Defence
University of Reading
Berry Telecom Ltd
Greenslade Taylor Hunt
Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency
Shearwood Housing Co-operative
Waters & Gate
- Acting on behalf of Hyde Housing in the recovery of unpaid service charge and major works arrears.
- Appointed to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)’s panel for Debt Recovery services.
- Advised Corona Energy on the recovery of gas and electricity arrears accrued due to the pandemic; taking into consideration reputational and commercial sensitivities as well as the changing landscape of the covid allowances on legal processes.
The debt recovery practice at Duncan Lewis Solicitors sits within the firm's litigation group and handles claimant and defender side actions against financial institutions and fraudsters. The group is jointly managed by commercial litigators Anthony Okumah and Sobashni De Silva, who specialises in cross-border jurisdiction claims and receives instructions from the Middle East. Areas of activity include insolvency matters, including bankruptcy and winding up proceedings, banking litigation and enforcement actions. The team strengthened its bench at the associate level with the hire of civil litigator Oliver Subhedar from Hill Dickinson LLP.
Sobashni De Silva; Anthony Okumah
‘Heavyweight litigator Anthony Okumah adds big City skills to a team to watch.’
‘The team is highly responsive and thorough and work exceptionally hard to protect the client’s position.’
‘Sobashni De Silva leads the team very well. She is calm, responsive and always on top of the issues. She is very analytical but at the same time has a creative approach in maximising the client’s case.’
‘Really great at the black letter law, on the details of the case, and on the commercial drivers of the dispute.’
Sobashni De Silva – fantastic at the detail, the law, and identifying what will help the client.’
‘The firm has the benefits of a big firm’s efficiencies and knowhow without losing its original charm.’
- Instructed by a Libyan national to bring a claim (under the Common Law) in the Courts of England & Wales for the recognition and enforcement of a Libyan court judgment (which had finally been decided in the client’s favour by the Supreme Court of Libya).
- Instructed by distributor of anti-bacterial wet-wipes to pursue a claim against a UK retail supplier for refusal to accept contractual delivery and failure to pay invoices, causing loss to the client of circa £400k.
- Instructed by Gatehead Properties Limited, a property developer that owns a number of leasehold properties, to assist in recovering unpaid service charges and ground rent from their lessees.
Judge & Priestley LLP’s debt recovery group showcases strength in the utilities sector and holds leading gas companies and local authorities as key clients. Experienced litigator Uday Patel oversees the collections and enforcement group alongside Rachel Addai who specializes in recovering debts for local authorities including on council tax. The team also handles commercial disputes and insolvency work. Associate Frances Boxall focuses on adult social care sundry debts, focusing on deceased debtors.
Uday Patel; Rachel Addai
Other key lawyers:
‘Judge & Priestley provide an end-to-end debt recovery service. Their client care is good and they have got us some excellent results.’
‘Rachel Addai – true standout lead partner in the debt recovery field.’
‘I find Judge and Priestley LLP very professional in the debt recovery service delivered to us.’
‘Rachel Addai’s expertise in dealing with in particular claims and litigations stands out, as such we have had many successes where we had very little hope.’
‘Their process is very efficient. Automated to a point without losing the human touch. Very responsive to both debtors who call in as well as their clients.’
‘Rachel Addai, the partner in charge, is one of the best lawyers I have ever met in my long career.’
London Borough of Southwark
Edge Recovery Limited
London Borough of Southwark Local Authority Panel
Crown Commercial Services Panel
Edge Recovery Limited
- Advising and acting for utility supplier Regent Gas Limited in a multi-million claim for back-billed gas supply to a major dairy manufacturer in a claim issued in the High Court.
- Taking action against a director of a company in liquidation seeking contribution to the company accounts from the director under section 212 of the Insolvency Act, with disputes arising from a detailed analysis of the company accounts and transfers between the insolvent entity and other organisations within the wider group of companies run by the director and his brother.
- Client: London Borough of Lambeth Advising on and representing the Council in a court of appeal judicial review matter relating to the exercise of power in imposing a multi-million pound Community Infrastructure Levy on a property developer.