Partnership in London
Addleshaw Goddard's 'professional' and 'market-leading' team is instructed by national and international professional service firms on the spectrum of contentious and non-contentious partnership matters. The group has expertise in incorporation, governance and constitutional matters for partnerships and limited liability partnerships (LLPs), in addition to international structures, such as Swiss vereins and the use of LLPs in corporate groups. On the contentious front, the group regularly handles partner disputes and exits, including partner moves and discrimination issues. William Wastie leads the professional practices group, which includes Aster Crawshaw (who specialises in accounting firms) and financial services expert Jonathan Cheney. Senior managing associate Chris Hallinan is noted for his knowledge of governance and constitutional issues, as well as international regulatory matters. Managing associate Sarah Mathers joined from Norton Rose Fulbright in May 2018.
‘The team has a rare combination of in-depth expertise in complex matters with an informal and accessible personal style.‘
‘Jonathan Cheney provides thoughtful advice in a friendly manner and is a natural team player.‘
‘Chris Hallinan makes complex matters straightforward and possesses seemingly endless patience.‘
‘Recommended for their extensive knowledge of current practices and case law in understanding the areas of LLP agreements that need attention and the options for dealing with them.‘
Marks & Clerk LLP
Peter Brett Associates LLP
Moore Stephens LLP
Gordon Dadds Group plc
DAC Beachcroft LLP
- Advising Moore Stephens LLP ion its merger with BDO LLP.
- Advising Moore Stephens on the disposal of its “Rulebook” insurance technology business to Verisk, a US-listed business.
- Advising Moore Stephens on the disposal of its wealth management division to Tilney.
- Advised longstanding client Peter Brett Associates LLP on all legal aspects of the sale of its business to Canada-based international consultancy Stantec Inc.
CM Murray LLP is a specialist UK partnership firm, with 'one of the legal world's strongest offerings in this area'. The group's main focus is contentious work, including partner conduct, performance, team movement and restrictive covenant issues, all of which are areas of expertise for Sarah Chilton and founding partner Clare Murray, who is noted by one client as 'one of the industry's most energetic and driven practitioners'. It is also developing an active non-contentious practice under the leadership of Zulon Begum; handling matters such as LLP agreement reviews, new law firm office set-ups, partner remuneration advice and review of partnership indemnity agreements and structures for both domestic and international law firm structures. David Fisher is another key name with experience in advising on partner team moves, lateral hires and the enforcement of partner restrictive covenants, while Samantha Mangwana draws on extensive experience in partnership litigation involving partner discrimination and whistleblowing claims, often working with Beth Hale, who was promoted to partner in January 2019. Esther Martin left the firm in 2019, going in-house at the Financial Ombudsman.
Clare Murray; Sarah Chilton; Zulon Begum
‘What sets it apart is its phenomenal team of truly first-class individuals.‘
‘Clare Murray is an expert negotiator and the person you want on your side in a brawl.‘
‘A dynamic and enthusiastic team that really knows its stuff.‘
‘This is a specialist firm with the highest reputation in partnership issues, both traditional and LLP; they also address employment issues and the interface between the two.‘
- Gave evidence before the House of Commons Women and Equalities Select Committee in its Inquiry into sexual harassment in the workplace in January 2018.
- Acting for a UK-headquartered, international law firm in a highly contentious partnership dispute relating to allegations of partner misconduct, sex discrimination and whistleblowing.
- Advising a US law firm based in Washington, US, on the establishment of a new UK LLP of consultants.
- Advising a Top 40 UK law firm on a significant partnership project involving amending its partnership and remuneration structure, a wholesale review of its LLP members’ agreement, drafting a new partner handbook and review and amendment of the firm’s partner indemnities.
- Advised this global law firm on issues relating to partners based in London and the proposed recruitment of a team.
Fox Williams LLP stands out for its track record handling high-profile mergers of international and UK law firms and other professional practices, exemplified by strategic consultant Tina Williams' advice to Andrews Kurth Kenon LLP on its transatlantic combination with US firm Hunton & Williams LLP to form Hunton Andrews Kurth. The group also assists clients with organisational structuring, strategic management, conversion to LLP structures and team moves and tax, as well as the range of partnership disputes. Daniel Sutherland heads the professional services group, regularly handling strategic and constitutional matters. Other noted individuals include contentious partnership lawyer Gavin Foggo; mergers expert Doug Preece; and Joanna Chatterton, who specialises in the intersection of employment and partnership law, including discrimination issues.
‘Daniel Sutherland provides legal and regulatory guidance which is top calibre. He also provides excellent practical advice through his experience in compliance with regulatory, NIC and tax matters.‘
‘One of the undisputed leaders in the field.‘
‘Extremely experienced practitioners who are well used to helping both substantial firms and individuals.‘
‘Gavin Foggo fights his client’s corner fiercely without driving up costs unnecessarily and is a superb negotiator. His experience of partnership and corporate litigation is enhanced by his experience of fraud litigation.‘
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati P.C.
Bircham Dyson Bell LLP
Reed Smith LLP
Saffrey Champness LLP
- Advised Andrews Kurth Kenyon LLP on its transatlantic combination with US firm Hunton & Williams LLP to form Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP.
- Advised Bircham Dyson Bell LLP on its merger with Pitmans LLP.
- Advised a Switzerland headquartered law firm on the structuring and establishment of its London office.
- Advised Michelet & Co Ltd, a Norwegian law firm, on its merger with Schjødt.
Maurice Turnor Gardner LLP
The 'highly impressive' team at Maurice Turnor Gardner LLP stands out for its non-contentious partnership work, which includes advising clients on international governance and structures. The group is instructed by a number of large international firms, as well as individual partners on issues such as innovative partnership and LLP structures in the legal and private wealth sectors. On the contentious front, the group handles partner exits for partnerships and partners. Corinne Staves leads the team and specialises in partnerships from a private wealth perspective. Also noted is co-founder Richard Turnor.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Turnor; Rebecca Waterhouse
‘In Richard Turnor, the firm has one of the most experienced practitioners in the partnership world; he is vastly knowledgeable in partnership law and second-to-none in negotiating difficult professional issues.‘
‘Corrine Staves is a compassionate yet authoritative adviser. She is always brilliantly prepared, but can think on her feet and delivers the results clients look for.‘
‘They are not only a very safe pair of hands; they are also focused on helping to get a transaction over the line on time and to budget.‘
Pemberton Greenish LLP
- Advised Pemberton Greenish on its merger with Cripps LLP, forming Cripps Pemberton Greenish with almost 500 lawyers.
- Advised DWF LLP on professional practices and LLP matters in relation to its listing on the main market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising on the highly contentious exit of a longstanding partner.
Farrer & Co's team has particular expertise in corporate and commercial partnership matters concerning property, intellectual property, family, private client, tax and employment issues. The group also has a strong partnership structuring and regulatory offering, which sits alongside its disputes practice. Clients span the professional services and other regulated businesses. Department head Jonathan Haley specialises in partnership and LLP law and is instructed on a variety of non-contentious issues. Kathleen Heycock focuses on complex team moves, international partner disputes and acquisitions, and Andy Peterkin predominantly advises financial services firms. Litigator John Wilkinson and employment law expert Rachel Lewis are recommended for contentious matters, while Anna Birtwistle, who joined from CM Murray LLP in June 2019, has significant experience of advising on misconduct investigations, discrimination and whistleblowing claims and restrictive covenants.
‘The Farrer’s partnership team provides a quality service to a range of professional clients.‘
‘Jonathan Haley is one of the leading partnership practitioners. He understands the sector and what clients want.‘
‘Farrer & Co is a hugely professional organisation which performs the role of top-level adviser to perfection.‘
‘They are polished and wise in their advice. Well versed in dealing with high-net-worth individuals and entities and capable of giving guidance to very senior individuals.‘
James Hambro & Partners LLP
MJ Mapp Group
Allies & Morrison LLP
Eden Rock Capital Management LLP
Salisbury Partners LLP
Meaden & Moore LLP
- Advising an architectural practice on succession planning issues amongst the partnership.
- Acted for the successful appellant in a landmark Court of Appeal case against Paul Baxendale-Walker.
- Advising an investment firm on its implementation of a bespoke and highly complex long-term incentive plan.
- Advising an international accountancy practice on the enforceability of restrictive covenants and employment and partnership issues, as well as on its global structure.
Fox & Partners is a go-to firm for partnership expertise in the professional and financial services sectors, with a varied client roster of partners, partnerships and LLPs. The group has developed a niche in partnership disputes relating to partner exits and the enforceability of restrictive covenants and team move clauses. The department is jointly led by Catriona Watt (who focuses on partner moves) and commercial litigator and partnership disputes expert Caroline Field. The group also includes founding partner Ronnie Fox, who provides strategic advice to a variety of lawyer and firm clients. Senior associate Shoshana Bacall has experience in assisting departing individuals and firms on exit arrangements and negotiations to join other firms.
Catriona Watt; Caroline Field
‘Catriona Watt is very proactive and clear in her advice. She does not shy away from steering a client in the right direction – even if that means a difficult conversation.‘
‘Caroline Field is delightful to work with; a shrewd litigator with a good background in commercial litigation.‘
‘The firm is one of the undisputed leaders in the field, especially so acting for the individual in obtaining excellent commercial outcomes.‘
- Instructed by a partner in a case relating to unlawful deduction from wages that also included issues of race discrimination.
- Acted for a former fund manager in a private equity fund partnership in connection with the provision of documents and witness statement evidence (and providing evidence at trial) in relation to a complex professional negligence claim concerning allegations of breach of confidentiality and contract against the fund’s legal advisers.
- Challenge to decision making of an LLP on an LLP member exit.
Hempsons stands out for its expertise in medical partnerships; providing strategic advice to GPs and dental practices, as well as devising and implementing new structures for primary care at scale and Integrated Care Systems (ICSs). The group has particular experience in establishing and reorganising GP Provider Organisations, in addition to advising on acquisitions of failing practices by such structures. Ross Clark and Ian Hempseed jointly lead the department, and are ably supported new arrival Alison Oliver, who joined from Ward Hadaway in January 2019 and specialises in partnership and company law, NHS primary care and community services contracts. The group is on a number of panels, including NHS Resolution, Health Trust Europe and Crown Commercial Service.
Ross Clark; Ian Hempseed
Other key lawyers:
Alison Oliver; Bryn Morgan; Justin Cumberlege
‘Depth of knowledge and understanding of healthcare sector makes Ross Clark a reliable and always helpful source of sound advice.‘
‘In the ever-changing world of NHS, it is always able to give up-to-date and relevant advice.‘
‘Extensive knowledge of healthcare sector requirements and at the leading edge of latest developments makes Hempsons stand out as a preferred legal adviser.‘
Digital Medical Supplies UK Ltd (KRY)
Our Health Partnership
Integral Medical Holdings
Primary Care Sheffield Ltd
Haverstock Healthcare Limited
Barnet Federated GPs
- Creation of a GP primary care provider organisation as part of the wider Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership, which is the partnership leading on the health and social care aspects of devolution in Greater Manchester.
- Renewal of a lease for dental practice – acting for the dental practice, we were ultimately successful, following testing negotiations, in concluding the renewal at a rent that was 33% less than the landlord’s starting position.
- GP practice taking over contracts for the provision of GP services at two failed surgeries conditional on a redevelopment scheme involving agreement between five parties and the agreement of a novel structure to facilitate funding under the NHS Estates & Technology Transformation Fund. The matter was successfully concluded on time and in a way which shielded our client from construction and reinstatement risks.
- Collaboration of GP practices. The groups have all decided on contractual collaborations – allowing them to work more closely together without merging or forming a separate legal entity. They have essentially formed themselves into Primary Care Networks and are therefore in a strong position as those types of structures start to develop further.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is particularly noted for its disputes practice, acting for partnerships, LLPs and their members. The multi-disciplinary team is made up of disputes, corporate, employment, incentives, regulatory and tax specialists, enabling it to provide a full-service offering. On the non-contentious side, it advises on partnership strategy, notably assisting Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner on the employment and partnership aspects of its day-to-day operations and integration following the merger between Berwin Leighton Paisner and Bryan Cave; a matter handled by Tim Leaver. Malcolm Lombers and Alan Watts jointly head the department.
Malcolm Lombers; Alan Watts
Other key lawyers:
Tim Leaver; Andrew Taggart; Chris Bushell; Nick Wright
‘They bring enormous professionalism and a breadth of commercial and legal experience which makes them a powerful and effective firm in the partnership arena.‘
‘Tim Leaver and Nick Wright are both highly experienced and capable practitioners. Tim is excellent at working with senior-level individuals and Nick has very impressive judgement.‘
‘The firm has a strong corporate and employment team that operates highly effectively in the partnership field and has significant experience of working with large commercial clients.‘
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
BTG Pactual Europe LLP
KPMG UK and KPMG International
- Advised an individual partner on his exit strategy and potential implementation of a team move from a potentially insolvent law firm in circumstances where the assets of the firm were being transferred to another law firm.
- Acted for Miller Insurance Services LLP on its acquisition of Alston Gayler and Co., wholly owned by Nelson Holdings.
- Advice to Alvin Partners LLP, a City-based private investment firm, on a range of partnership matters.
- Advice to Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner on the employment and partnership aspects of its day-to-day operations and integration following the merger between Berwin Leighton Paisner and Bryan Cave.
Lewis Silkin LLP's group, jointly led by Fergus Payne and Clive Greenwood, advises UK- and overseas-headquartered professional services firms on a range of legal and regulatory issues. On the non-contentious side, it advises on the formation and implementation of new and updated LLP and partnership agreements, restructurings and mergers. The team also has experience in contentious issues, such as allegations of partner misconduct and claims of harassment or bullying. Drawing on specialisms in the wider firm, it has developed a niche in assisting clients with the impact of GDPR on their business structures. Karen Baxter leads the professional services sector group and specialises in the cross-over between employment and partnership law.
Fergus Payne; Clive Greenwood
Other key lawyers:
‘Utterly brilliant at dealing with clients and achieving what it is that the client wants.‘
‘Karen Baxter is a leading lawyer in highly sensitive sexual harassment cases involving LLPs.‘
‘Clive Greenwood is simply superb. He has enormous experience in partnership matters, huge ability and excellent judgement.‘
‘Fergus Payne is responsive and constructive in his advice and very reliable.‘
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Hickman & Rose
- Advised on a new partnership agreement for Hickman & Rose Solicitors.
- Advised an international law firm on a number of partnership-related matters.
- Advised a boutique investment firm on aspects of its conversion from an LLP to a limited company.
Weightmans LLP's team stands out for its work in the legal and medical partnership spaces. The group draws on the wider firm's strong regulatory and compliance practice, offering a broad service to clients nationwide; work led by Michelle Garlick. The group also has substantial experience in partnership restructuring and insolvencies as well as incorporating new LLP vehicles for offshore investors. The national team is led by partnership disputes expert Andrew Cromby, who is supported by regulatory lawyer Richard Corran; Edwina Farrell and Nathan East lead on medical partnerships.
The 'outstanding' Jo Keddie heads the team at Winckworth Sherwood LLP, which provides a full service to clients in the professional services and regulated sectors, including a specialism in the private equity space. The group also has a niche in providing partnership advice to developers and housing associations in relation to joint ventures for strategic land investments and development projects. The contentious team continues to expand, with the arrival of Bettina Bender (who represents firms and individual LLP members) from CM Murray LLP in June 2018. John Hiscock is noted for his expertise in the formation of UK and overseas investment fund partnerships.
‘Jo Keddie knocks it out of the park – she is fearless and strong, works incredibly hard and produces results.‘
‘The arrival of Bettina Bender has given the team considerable depth and breadth in contentious partnership law matters; she is a measured, experienced and knowledgeable practitioner.‘
‘On the litigation side, one of the most effective and powerful firms. A team that you want on your side.‘
Avalon Capital Markets LLP
London and Quadrant Housing Trust
The team at Bristol-based Burges Salmon LLP handles the spectrum of contentious and non-contentious partnership issues, including advising on 1890 Act partnerships, LLPs, quasi-partnerships, fund structuring and the use of partnerships in private tax planning. The group has particular expertise in disputes involving farming and agri-businesses, for which it is instructed by clients nationwide. Sian Edmunds leads on partnership disputes, Chris Godfrey heads investment fund-led work, while John Barnett has substantial experience advising private clients on partnerships in relation to family businesses and succession planning.
Chris Godfrey; Sian Edmunds; John Barnett
Other key lawyers:
Kevin Kennedy; Jim Aveline; Michael Ward
‘Real practical knowledge and experience in how partnerships operate and the challenges they face.‘
‘Sian Edmunds is really on the ball when it comes to delivering practical solutions for her clients.‘
‘Exceptional knowledge of all matters to do with agricultural law, food production and agricultural policy.‘
‘Kevin Kennedy is more than willing to share ideas and strategies to move the case on and doesn’t “hog the limelight” at any stage.‘
Swiss private bank owned by a Brazilian-headquartered group
- Ongoing advice to Swiss private bank on its participation in a UK asset manager structured as an LLP.
- Ongoing advice to a family on the administration of an estate comprising a farming partnership share, including claims for IHT reliefs, and subsequent partition of partnership business between the deceased’s children.
- Representing a private equity specialist in a dispute concerning the ownership of an investment fund.
Dechert LLP's cross-departmental partnership group brings together lawyers specialising in employment law, financial services, corporate, tax, litigation and regulatory compliance. The group advises partnerships, LLPs, LPs and individuals on the spectrum of contentious and non-contentious issues, with a real focus on the fund and asset management sectors. The team is led by Jason Butwick and includes financial services experts Christopher Gardner and Gus Black, and Charles Wynn-Evans, who acts for a variety of individual partners and members in disputes.
Howard Kennedy LLP's practice spans partnerships and LLPs, with expertise in formation, employment matters, financial regulation, business recovery and reconstruction. The group also handles disputes for LLPs and partnerships, as well as their individual members and partners. The team is jointly headed by partnership formation and structure specialist Robert Craig and Jane Amphlett, whose main focuses are strategic partner appointments, departures, remuneration structures and the enforcement and defence of restrictive covenants.
Robert Craig; Jane Amphlett
TCI Management Services LLP (The Children’s Investment Fund)
TCI Advisory Services LLP
TCI Fund Services LLP
- Advice to longstanding hedge fund client, TCI Advisory Services LLP, on a wide range of partnership matters.
- Providing advice to a longstanding financial services LLP client on a wide range of partnership, tax, immigration and related matters.
- Providing advice to a longstanding client in the financial services sector on a wide range of partnership matters, including disputes, partner relations issues, restructuring and exit negotiations.
Kingsley Napley LLP's department acts for professional firms and LLPs, as well as their individual members and partners, mainly in the financial services and professional sectors. The group draws on the firm's wider expertise in employment law, regulatory and professional discipline, white-collar crime and business immigration to provide clients with a full partnership disputes service. The team is jointly headed by regulatory expert Iain Miller and Adrian Crawford, whose practice spans contentious partnership and employment law.
Adrian Crawford; Iain Miller
Other key lawyers:
Richard Fox; Adam Lambert; Andreas White
‘They are able to address wider employment, criminal, defamation and commercial ligation issues, which makes them very effective as a firm able to deal with complex multi-issue disputes.‘
‘Richard Fox has great client skills and is respected by his opponents for his negotiating skills. He has great tactical intuition and always sees a move ahead.‘
‘Iain Miller is good on legal regulation.‘
John Dodsworth chairs Macfarlanes LLP's cross-departmental professional practices and LLPs group, which excels in M&A and structuring work, as well as advising on employment, tax and regulatory issues that arise out of partnerships. On the contentious side, the group regularly handles partnership disputes, leveraging the firm's broader litigation capabilities. Jessica Adam is another key name; notably advising Slater and Gordon on the separation of its UK operations from its Australian-listed parent.
Other key lawyers:
Jessica Adam; Hayley Robinson; Mark Baldwin
Ince & Co
Slater & Gordon (UK)
Exotix Partners LLP
Smith & Williamson Group
- Acted for Ince & Co. on its merger with Gordon Dadds to become Ince Gordon Dadds.
- Advised Salary Finance on its joint venture with independent banking group, CYBG plc (which owns Clydesdale Bank, Yorkshire Bank, Virgin Money UK and virtual bank B).
- Act for Exotix Partners LLP, an inter-dealer broker focusing on emerging markets, in the defence of a claim brought by the administrators of Lehman Brothers International Europe.
- During the course of 2018, advised on two sets of substantial amendments to LLP agreements for Smith & Williamson Group.
Mishcon de Reya LLP fields a cross-departmental team dealing with the life cycle of partnerships and LLPs. It is most noted for its work handling partnership disputes, and is often instructed in cases involving discrimination and whistleblowing claims, worker status issues and exit terms. The group is led by Joanna Blackburn, who focuses on the intersection between employment law and partnerships. Blackburn is supported by Daniel Naftalin, who has experience in the range of contentious partnership matters.
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Naftalin; Greg Campbell; Jennifer Millins
‘Jennifer Millins provides a very professional level of service. She is exceptionally knowledgeable about the partnership area and provided very sage advice.‘
‘The team always picks up the phone and is able to provide advice with very short delay.‘
‘Joanna Blackburn: very honest and professional and would always act in her client’s best interest.‘
Sovereign Capital Partners LLP
Accel Partners LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
Finnegan Europe LLP
- Acting for an individual on his complex exit from TCV Partners LLP, a global fund based in the USA.
- Acting for Londonewcastle on its partnership law-based joint venture with Brent Council on the redevelopment of the Queens Park/ Cullen House & Falcon Public House development site.
RPC advises professional service firms, as well as funds, on a range of matters, including the establishment of partnerships and LLPs, mergers and dissolution, as well as contentious partnership issues, with recent experience in cases arising out of the MeToo movement. The group is jointly headed by experienced litigator Geraldine Elliott and Patrick Brodie, who handles high-value partnership terminations, re-organisations and mergers. In February 2019, Anthony Shatz left to join Fladgate LLP.
Patrick Brodie; Geraldine Elliott
Other key lawyers:
‘Patrick Brodie provides good experienced advice in dealing with complex claims where discrimination is alleged; he is collaborative and can bring a nuanced approach to try to avoid overly contentious situations.‘
‘They deliver an exceptional and sophisticated product, in a professional and un-flashy way, that delivers great value for their clients.‘
‘Patrick Brodie and Geraldine Elliott are absolutely first rate.‘
Ernst & Young LLP
- Acting for Egon Zehnder in its injunctive action against an individual.
- RPC advised property legal specialists GCL Solicitors on its £4.15m acquisition by Gateley.
VWV has a full-service professional practices team, which advises a range of clients, with a particular specialism in medical and accounting partnerships. The group is also noted for advising both law firms and individual solicitors on partnership disputes. Jos Moule heads the team, which includes London office managing partner David Emanuel, who has experience in partnership mergers and healthcare partnership specialist Oliver Pool.
‘Jos Moule is a legend of partnership law.‘
‘A strong firm which is now one of the undisputed leaders in the medical partnerships field.‘
‘David Emanuel is a senior individual who inspires enormous confidence and is very good at dealing with top people in businesses.‘
Barton Willmore LLP
Stevens Hewlett & Perkins
Driver Exchange LLP
- Advised a group of eight GP partnerships on the various options available to them for collaborative working when they were not ready to merge.
- Advised Clark Avenue Surgery on the terms of a new partnership agreement for the firm.
- Acted for a doctor in a partnership dispute with her longstanding business partner.
- Advised on the merger of nine GP practices in Cheshunt.
At Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP, contentious partnership matters are handled by Michelle Chance, who acts for partnerships, LLPs and their individual members in matters including partner exits and terminations, as well as discrimination and whistleblower cases. Barry Stimpson leads on non-contentious work, which includes working with the real estate department to advise developers and real estate investors on the use of LLPs for high-value redevelopments. Stimpson also has an active advisory practice for fund managers and clients in the legal and accountancy sectors.
Michelle Chance; Barry Stimpson
‘The team is highly responsive and provides solid advice and empathy for the issues being addressed.‘
‘Clear strategy and guidance which factors in client objectives.‘
‘In Michelle Chance, this firm has a top practitioner who is keen to build up a leading partnership offering.‘
‘Barry Stimpson has deep experience of the corporate side including in terms of hedge funds and private equity structuring.‘
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP's team has strength in the financial services, professional practices and property development sectors. Non-contentious work includes transactional, corporate, tax structuring matters and change management, which bring together expertise from other departments in the firm. The group is also noted for handling disputes both for partnerships and individual partners. Financial services expert David Hicks leads the team, utilising experience in complex structures, conversions to and transactions involving LLPs, governance issues and restructuring.
Other key lawyers:
James Carter; John Sykes
‘They have strength and depth to deliver whatever complexity is needed.‘
‘David Hicks has very sound technical knowledge and is extremely pleasant to deal with.‘
‘David Hicks is incredibly responsive.‘
Members of Turner Parkinson LLP
Civica Group Limited
- Advised the members of independent business law firm Turner Parkinson LLP on its acquisition by Knights.
- Advised longstanding client Civica Group Limited on its acquisition of OneStep, a leading provider of cloud-based software and services which provides support to those operating in the debt recovery sector.
- Advising a UK resident high-net-worth individual on the creation of a bespoke cross-border holding structure through a UK LLP to hold existing and future investments in European-based real estate assets and businesses and associated financing arrangements.
Clyde & Co LLP's offering benefits from the firm's wider expertise in professional liability, led by Sarah Clover, setting the team apart in professional liability claims, regulatory investigations and proceedings against professional firms. The group also advises on structuring professional service networks for insurance and regulatory purposes. Other areas of expertise include assisting clients with matters pertaining to the cross-over of partnership and employment law; matters handled by Chris Holme. On the transactional front, Simon Vere Nicoll is regularly instructed on partnership M&A and joint ventures.
Chris Holme; Simon Vere Nicoll; Sarah Clover
Other key lawyers:
Richard Harrison; James Roberts; Robert Hill; Neil Jamieson
Disputes boutique Cooke, Young & Keidan LLP handles the spectrum of contentious partnership work across a wide range of industries. In particular, the team has experience in matters relating to allegations of fraud against the partnership by members, misappropriation of partnership assets, breach and enforcement of restrictive covenants. Clients include partnerships, LLPs, LPs and their members. Lydia Danon leads on partnership-related work, and is supported by Sinead O’Callaghan, whose clients include a mixture of high-net-worth individuals and hedge funds.
Keystone Law's lawyers main area of expertise is advising clients on drafting agreements for a variety of partnership structures, including for traditional partnerships and LLPs. The group also handles alternative business structures, M&A, restructuring, employment issues, insolvency, risk management and regulatory issues, as well as partnership disputes. Experienced commercial litigator Peter Garry leads the team, which includes Emma Clark, whose practice spans advisory and disputes work, particularly relating to discrimination and whistleblower cases.
Khiara Law LLP
Khiara Law LLP is a partnership boutique, advising professional practices and legal services business on all aspects of governance, structuring and financing. Founding partner Rachel Khiara, who left RSM Legal LLP in 2018, has superlative experience in specialist capital and profit-sharing arrangements, regulatory aspects of M&A and the establishment of new partnerships and LLPs.
‘Rachel Khiara is very knowledgeable about her areas and provides good practical advice tailored to the client’s business.‘
The group at Payne Hicks Beach is comprised of lawyers from the firm's personal tax, financial services, corporate, employment and dispute resolution department and advises clients on the full life-cycle of partnerships, LLPs and LPs, including structuring, set-up, administration and dissolution. The group also draws on its expertise in private wealth to advise on the use of partnerships as investment vehicles. Jonathan Gatward leads the team and is supported by corporate lawyer Marcia Kidd.
Other key lawyers:
Marcia Kidd; Nick Sayers; Howard Taylor
‘Well-resourced and knowledgeable corporate department providing clear, practical advice.‘
‘Jonathan Gatward is approachable and accessible, providing focused practical advice in a cost-effective way.‘
Rayner Essex LLP
Griffins Insolvency Practitioners
Bury Farm Partnership (Faccenda family)
Spice Capital Partners LLP
CL Projects Limited
Upthorpe Farm Partnership
- Acting for Rayner Essex LLP, a top 50 accountancy practice, on all partnership/LLP matters. The work includes preparing documentation, dealing with the appointment and retirement of new members and amending the LLP agreement when required.
- Providing general partnership advice. Dealing with partner admissions and retirements, including in particular, the engagement of a partner through a service company.
- Advising a German law firm, which operates through an English LLP on the possible consequences of a hard Brexit. Under German law, the limited liability status of the LLP would be lost in the event of a hard Brexit.
Simmons & Simmons excels in advising clients in the financial services industry on partnership matters, with a particular strength in advising alternative investment fund managers on complex and often international structures. The core partnership group is supported by the firm's tax, financial markets litigation, employment, regulatory and funds departments, allowing it to provide a full partnership service. Colin Leaver heads the team, which includes asset management expert Ania Rontaler.
Other key lawyers:
Ania Rontaler; Robert Turner