TMT in Lithuania
Ellex's 'efficient, professional and responsive' team acts for clients in a broad cross-section of industries including biotechnology, sports and life sciences. Jaunius Gumbis, who is the head of the team, is advising the Lithuanian Basketball Federation on the launch of an interactive and modern museum of basketball. Another name to note is Vytautas Mizaras, who is active in media, advertising and entertainment matters. Tomas Kamblevicius has experience of acting for global businesses on matters connected with the telecoms industry.
‘We have worked with Ellex for quite a few years on TMT matters in Lithuania and have found their work to be consistently strong .’
‘Very efficient team, professional, collaborative.’
‘Very responsive, with a client-oriented approach to legal services, which is always appreciated when making deals in countries where you have little experience.’
‘In-depth industry expertise, outstanding practical knowledge, great responsiveness.’
‘Tomas Kamblevicius – professional service and to-the-point solutions. Partner Karolis Kacerauskas understands, and is responsive to, clients’ needs.’
‘I have been mainly in contact with Jaunius Gumbis. Quality of service has been excellent. I particularly like that communication with the team is very efficient. E-mails are clear and provide quality advice on practical approach. Responsiveness is excellent.’
- Advised BMW on wide range of legal issues related to their business in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, among other things, on the launch of ConnectedDrive (for BMW brand) and MINI Connected (for MINI brand) service packages, which provide numerous electronic services to vehicle owners, in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- Assisted Continental with data protection compliance issues connected with the operation of its manufacturing plant in Lithuania.
- Assisting IBM with a number of high-stakes and high-value projects, including its participation in the public tender for the creation of LBChain (a blockchain sandbox platform-service managed by the Central Bank of Lithuania).
Cobalt advises clients on the licensing of software and hardware, outsourcing arrangements, data protection and e-commerce issues. Team head Žilvinas Kvietkus has expertise in pharmaceutical law and matters related to new technologies. He is advising Bayer on data protection issues relating to the conduct of clinical trials, setting up of global data processing schemes and patient support campaigns. Senior associate Eglė Bakštytė is another notable individual.
- Advised Apple Inc. on complex regulatory and IP issues in relation to Apple TV.
- Advising Elektrum Lietuva on its marketing campaigns, particularly in relation to compliance with the GDPR and E-Communication Directive.
- Advising Bayer, a global pharmaceutical corporation, in relation to a number of data protection matters, including the conduct of clinical trials, setting up of global data processing schemes, patient support campaigns as well as other current data protection related matters.
Sorainen provides extensive support on software licensing, e-commerce matters and consumer protection. Managing partner Laimonas Skibarka is advising Barclays Group Operations on the transfer of Rise Vilnius start-up hub to Swedbank. Stasys Drazdauskas has expertise in IP, IT and data protection. He is often sought out to assist clients with matters concerning cloud services and AI solutions. Drazdauskas co-heads the practice with senior associate Jonas Kiauleikis, who acts for clients on corporate transactions and also provides day-to-day business advice.
‘Sorainen has an exceptional team of professionals of all levels readily available to address our concerns from M&A to facility management to any other commercial or operational matter. Supporting our corporate governance and daily matters they provide support, guidance, advise and solutions, and are trusted advisors respected by local management & group legal team.’
‘Competent and professional.’
All Media Baltics
- Advised Supermetrics (a growing marketing tech company) on setting up a development office in Lithuania.
- Advising internet service provider Consilium Optimum on matters related to TV rebroadcasting business.
- Advised American television giant HBO on contractual and tax matters related to co-producing the TV mini-series Chernobyl (which was shot in Lithuania).
The 'client-oriented' team at TGS Baltic is led by Mindaugas Civilka, whose expertise includes data and privacy protection, and cybersecurity. Civilka advised Maxima LT on the development of a mobile application which combines a loyalty account system and mobile payment features. Indrė Barauskienė has 'good knowledge' of TMT-related regulatory issues. Associate Greta Bujūtė assists clients with GDPR implementation projects, IT consultancy and IT contracts. In addition, she also has an interest in new technologies such as blockchain and artificial intelligence.
‘TGS Baltic team we have been working with was very client-oriented. They always make special efforts to understand the needs of our Company and suggests business oriented solutions. Probably it was one of the key elements ensuring our smooth work. In addition to that, internally they did a great teamwork and which contributed both to the quality and efficiency of the service.’
‘The biggest strength of the team is the capability to provide professional and business orientated services, by providing brief, short and clear answers.’
‘Having passion for data privacy from consultation over legal requirements through advice on practical implementation process.’
‘Mindaugas Civilka and Greta Bujute, involved in GDPR compliance and related matters as well as general commercial, contractual matters. Both are dedicated, professional, experienced and helpful lawyers, who provided quality support. Indre Barauskiene with Mindaugas Civilka led the IP related cases and questions. Both are very responsive, client and problem-solving oriented.’
‘Agnius Pilipavicius – detail-oriented professional with a wide range of hands-on experience.’
‘Greta Bujute is a bright, well-experienced data privacy professional. She always follows through and finds the answers to any questions, and reports them back promptly.’
‘Lauras Butkevicius as mentioned, capable to provide professional and business orientated services, by providing brief, short and clear answers.’
‘Agnius Pilipavicius is very professional, business and solution oriented.’
‘Karolis Smaliukas is an outstanding lawyer in public procurement.
‘Dovile Armalyte is professional, having good insights in the litigation matters.’
‘Indre Barauskiene has good knowledge in the regulatory sector and a clear and strong opinion on the matters.’
‘Mindaugas Civilka demonstrated exceptional ability to understand the substance of issues, as well as drive to take projects across finish line.’
TV Play Baltics
- Assisted Tele2 with an agreement with Bite to share networks in Latvia and Lithuania.
- Advising satellite television broadcaster TV Play Baltics on several matters involving media law issues, which recently included representing the client before the European Court of Justice in a legal dispute with the regulatory authority over must-carry obligation.
- Advised UAB Bite Lietuva on expanding its service portfolio and the acquisition of a rebroadcasting licence.
Law firm Venckute&Karnickas
AAA Law's practice represents media sector clients in court litigation, while non-contentious work includes advice on personal data and privacy issues, and also e-commerce and electronic advertising. Team head Justina Nikė has experience of digital and audiovisual-related matters, as well as licensing, franchising and distribution arrangements.
‘Quick and very kind reactions to all the questions. Great flexibility in meeting clients’ deadlines.’
‘Jonas Sakalauskas does more than is expected and thinks several steps ahead to help clients.’
Grand Hotel Vilnius (Kempinski Hotel)
Edukacines sistemos (Tutotoons)
- Advising rapidly-growing mobile entertainment company Edukacinės sistemos (TutoTOONS) on legal issues related to the development and publishing of computer games.
- Handling a legal audit and GDPR implementation for a group of companies including, but not limited to, luxury hotel Grand Hotel Kempinski Vilnius, multinational tech companies Nortal, CUP and others.
ECOVIS ProventusLaw is 'at the forefront' of the TMT sphere, and its team assists clients with GDPR compliance, as well as issues connected with advertising, media law and telecommunications. The team is led by Loreta Andziulytė, who advised Klaipėda Free Economic Zone on the protection of its IP rights, including the registration of a new trade mark. Senior associate Brigida Bacienė advises on IT software and e-commerce matters.
‘The lawyers who work at this law firm always look at the problems in a comprehensive way and solve them in the same way, providing us with optimal solutions which are based on analysis and creative reasoning.’
‘Loreta Andziulyte has huge legal experience and works with different business entities, including financial institutions and fintech companies, providing them with ongoing legal services such as establishment of commercial entities, preparation of different contracts and representation before courts.’
‘Both Loreta Andziulyte and Inga Karulaityte Kvainauskiene have profound understanding of business and substantial experience of advising on licensing of banking operations, financial services throughout the EU, commercial, regulatory and investment disputes. We have a pleasure to work with each of the aforementioned lawyers in various fields, so we can confirm that their knowledge, experience, and above all respect for the client, openness to our suggestions and multi-faceted help inspires trust in them and the desire for uninterrupted cooperation for the future.’
International Payment Union
- Assisted Guru Pay with its acquisition of an IT software programme in order to carry out payment orders.
- Advise Paytend Europe on processing of personal data, as well as managing the full suite of documentation necessary to be compliant with GDPR requirements.
- Advised MTTC on a goods return system.
FORT's TMT practice is present in GDPR compliance matters, software development and disputes over consumer protection and advertising. Senior associate Aistė Samuilytė-Mamontovė specialises in data protection, telecoms and media matters, and has experience of acting for financial institutions and e-commerce companies.
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners is active in GDPR compliance work for international companies, data protection matters and media work. Giedrė Rimkūnaitė-Manke, who is the head of the team, drafts software contracts and advises on the implementation and procurement of IT services and systems.
‘GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners’ ability to react in a timely manner and provide us with what we need and when we need it is what makes this practice unique. In comparison to other firms, GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners has everything under one roof. They are always ready to provide professional help with any legal matters we come across.’
‘In the past two years we have been involved in several difficult cases with foreign companies, therefore, GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners ability to work in English and Polish languages was extremely useful.’
‘Giedre Rimknaite Manke and Eivydas Sadauskas are our key project managers, who are well aware of our history, political and other matters which makes the work much faster and smoother.’
State Forest Enterprise
Pernod Ricard Lietuva
- Assisting Pernod Ricard Lietuva with GDPR compliance matters.
- Ongoing advice to State Forest Enterprise on various matters, including IT, IP, corporate and commercial issues. Recently assisted the client with defining its employee data security policy.
- Assisting the Lithuanian National Olympic Committee with a GDPR compliance audit and other privacy matters.