Intellectual property in Lithuania
AAA Law's practice works on domestic and international projects relating to registering and protecting trade marks. Giedrė Domkutė , Ausra Pakeniene and Jurga Petniunaite jointly lead the team. Petniūnaitė and Otilija Klimaitiene advise scientists at Kaunas Technology University on the patents and copyrights of their developed innovations. Domkutė's expertise includes intellectual property (IP) licensing, franchising and enforcement cases. Pakėnienė is experienced in design and patent protection.
‘Clever and resourceful.’
‘Professional yet personal.’
Kaunas Technological University
Live Square (Eika group)
- Representing the scientists at Vilnius University on the patents and copyrights of their developed innovations.
- Represented sportswear manufacturer Audimas in proceedings before the EUIPO and CJEU over a trade mark dispute with Audi AG.
- Defended KF/SIK Vilko takas, an organiser of paramilitary nature events for the public, in a civil case where the client was sued over issues relating to trade marks, domain names and name of legal entity.
Cobalt's practice stands out for its 'strategic and pragmatic approach'. The firm is active in IP protection and enforcement, where it acts for both start-up companies and multinational corporations. Team head Žilvinas Kvietkus has particular experience of handling matters connected with the Lithuanian and wider EU life sciences industries. His work covers patents, trade marks and copyrights. Senior associate Julija Beldeninovienė is a name to note for patent enforcement disputes in Lithuania.
‘The firm’s strongest points are their keen, strategic and above all pragmatic approach to handling the matters. Whether it is an in-depth analysis or a brief recommendation, we have found that they are always attentive to the clients particular needs and provide concise and realistic recommendations on the matters at hand.’
‘The team has an eye for details and is readily available for questions. The legal opinions are delivered fast, with clear recommendations.’
‘I have primarily worked with Julija Beldeninoviene. She was recommended to us by a colleague from Cobalt’s Latvian office and Julija quickly proved herself worthy of the recommendation. At the time of the transfer of the first matter she provided us with additional constructive feedback on how to improve our case before the Lithuanian PTO, as well as how to further utilize the strength and renown of our clients earlier rights. This particular drive to ensure that all possibilities or arguments that would improve the clients chances of success had been exhausted was sorely missing in our previous representatives.’
‘Julija Beldeninoviene opinions are complete and precise, with an overview of various options. She gives clear recommendations on how best to proceed in a certain case.’
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
- Advising F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Genentech Inc. and Biogen Inc. on complex issues related to the potential rituximab patent infringement litigation in Lithuania.
- Represented AstraZeneca before the courts of first instance in patent infringement litigation against KRKA.
- Advised Apple Inc. on complex regulatory and IP issues, including trade mark issues relating to Apple TV.
Ellex's 'strong team' has 'theoretical and practical experience', which makes it well-placed to handle a wide range of contentious and non-contentious IP matters. Its expertise includes the enforcement of trade marks, designs and the licensing of computer software products. The head of the team is Vytautas Mizaras, whose advice to Lithuanian and international clients is 'always clear and to the point'. Mantas Rimkevicius acts on a broad cross-section of international cross-border IP matters.
‘Strong team, valuable theoretical and practical experience.’
‘Their advice is very solution-oriented and hands-on. It is written from the perspective of what is possible instead of what is not possible, which is exactly what we need.’
‘Vytautas Mizaras is a very pleasant outside counsel to work with. His advice is always clear and to the point.’
- Advised Lithuanian Publishers Association on copyright and related rights in the Digital Single Market.
METIDA Law Firm Zaboliene and Partners
METIDA Law Firm Zaboliene and Partners' practice is prominent in trade mark, copyright and patent matters. Erikas Saukalas is the head of the team, which includes seasoned practitioner Reda Zaboliene. Zaboliene has a wealth of experience representing clients in litigation concerning trade marks, inventions and designs. Inga Lukauskiene is another key figure.
Kaunas University of Technology
JSC Baltik Vairas
- Represented Kesko Senukai Digital before the Vilnius Regional Court and the Court of Appeal of Lithuania in a copyright infringement claim brought by competitor Pigu.
- Acted for Juta Jazz Kava in provisional refusal proceedings, which related to a refusal by an examiner to register a trade mark due to the meaning of the dominant element ‘Brexit’.
- Providing advice and drafting legal documents, and collecting and submitting evidence, for Pieno Zvaigdzes in relation to two filed applications before the EUPO.
Sorainen's practice is made up of 'true professionals' advising on cross-border copyright enforcement, IP transfers and patent litigation. Daivis Švirinas, who heads up the team, represented Google before the Radio and Television Commission over cooperation on blocking illegal websites distributing copyright infringing content. Stasys Drazdauskas assists clients with drafting contracts for IP transfers, the registration of trade marks and copyright protection.
‘Sorainen team is truly great to work with! It responds very quickly, goes deep into the matter and details. We are happy to work with it as it has true professionals. We have consulted with Sorainen about the topic of legal film screening platforms (VOD) and we were happy with the service.’
‘Their expertise and attentiveness to the client make them stand out; these are things that we valued in them.’
- Assisted Intelligent Communications with drafting an artificial intelligence product distribution agreement.
- Advised Lietuvos geležinkeliai on licencing requirements for Oracle products.
- Assisting Top Grupe with licensing agreements concerning the production and publication of Top Gear magazine in Lithuania.
TGS Baltic's team of specialists are 'responsible and attentive', and assist clients with trade mark litigation, drafting product development contracts and the acquisition of businesses with IP portfolios. Mindaugas Civilka and Vidmantas Drizga jointly lead the team. The 'professional' Agnus Pilipavičius is acting for Hostinger in a number of litigation cases concerning the termination of a software licence agreement with Profis.
‘We chose TGS Baltic for a couple of reasons. First, it offers a wide variety of services, ranging from seminars to representations in court. Secondly, TGS Baltic has good prices and a service quality ratio. Most importantly, the lawyers have a lot of experience of intellectual property law and can give trustworthy advice on this subject.’
‘The team is great. It is always a pleasure to work with it. All practitioners are good specialists, very responsible and attentive.’
‘We mostly work with Indre Barauskiene. We value her expertise in IP law.’
‘Indre Barauskiene – I am very happy with the results and our collaboration. She is always ready to help, all the questions are always answered, she is very responsible and her knowledge in IP law is very deep. It is always a pleasure to work with her.’
‘Partner Agnius Pilipavicius is a very professional and responsible person who has very good strategic thinking.’
Vilnius Academy of Arts
- Representing Maxima LT at the Court of Appeal of Lithuania in a trade mark dispute against dermo-cosmetics manufacturer NAOS (which operates under the brand name BIODERMA).
- Advised Lietuvos energija on its currently-owned trade marks and domains, and also acted for the client before the national, European and International registrars of trade marks.
- Provides ongoing advice to Vilnius Academy of Arts (VDA) on a wide range of IP matters.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) provides a full range of IP services to clients nationally in Lithuania and at international level. The firm has strong litigation capabilities, advises on licensing and exploitation, and assists clients with trade mark and patent prosecutions. Team head Rimtis Puišys advises Kingspan Insulation on the protection of its copyrights and trade marks. Senior associate and patent attorney Tomas Jakubauskas is also a name to note.
- Advice to Royce Confect on opposition against the registration of a trade mark, preparation of a cease and desist letter and representation of the client in negotiations.
- Advising Medaus Magija on the protection of its IP rights and registration in trade mark registration procedures.
- Represented Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft in a trademark infringement dispute, which arose from the registration and usage of an allegedly infringing business name, trade marks and domain names.
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas is strong in all aspects of trade mark, copyright and patent infringement cases. The team is led by Marius Grajauskas and Gintaras Balčiūnas; the latter advised Roche Lietuva on a potential patent infringement claim against the Lithuanian National Health Insurance Fund under the Ministry of Health. Konradas Pabijanskas is experienced in trade mark disputes.
‘I would like to point out that the intellectual property practice group provides great quality legal services on time. It always pays attention to my needs and delivers rational, effective solutions.’
‘The group has great lawyers, who have extensive experience.’
‘I mostly work with both partner Gintaras Balčiūnas and managing associate Gintaras Stankevičius. In my opinion, both lawyers are great professionals in intellectual property field.’
‘I like working with Partner Gintaras Balčiūnas because he can provide rational solutions to legal issues.’
‘Managing associate Gintaras Stankevičius has great analytical skills and can find long-term solutions for me, which solve not only the current issue, but also prevent further problems.’
‘Team head Vaidas Radvila is a highly experienced and business-oriented lawyer with an admirable track record.’
‘We have worked with all the top law firms in Lithuania, but we preferred Leadell.’
- Represented Droneda in a trade mark and copyright infringement claim brought by Disney Entertainment.
- Advised Lithuanian sweets manufacturer Naujoji Rūta on transferring its IP rights.
- Represented Eoltas in a legally complex trade mark infringement claim against a competitor.