Dispute resolution in Lithuania
Cobalt's strong credentials in dispute resolution are underpinned by its 'deep knowledge of the law in the Baltic region'. Team head Rimantas Simaitis, who is experienced in both litigation and arbitration, represented Riga International Airport as a respondent in a case initiated by one of the biggest air carriers in Lithuania, which is undergoing bankruptcy proceedings. Associate partner Marius Inta heads up the commercial disputes practice; his experience includes insurance-related matters, and cases involving alleged competition law violations and intellectual property infringements.
‘The firm has a wide range of experts in all areas of legal activities and it always meets its obligations.’
‘Excellent advice, both legal and commercial. A sound network across the various Baltic states. Consistency of standards between states too. Top class office facilities. Good locations.’
‘Care and attention, excellent communication and committed professional staff.’
East-West United Bank
- Represented Bristol Trust OU at the Supreme Court in a procurement dispute with Weaponry Fund of the Republic of Lithuania under the Ministry of the Interior (a contracting authority).
- Representing a number of companies operating in the water management sector in more than 12 administrative cases against the Environmental Project Management Agency, the Ministry of Environment of the Republic of Lithuania, and the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania.
- Represented the Visaginas municipality (which is a contracting authority) at the Supreme Court in a procurement dispute with Irdaiva.
Ellex is 'the name that guarantees quality', according to a client. Working across a range of sectors, the firm handles international arbitrations, domestic litigation, investigations and enforcement. The 'strategically-minded' Ramunas Petravicius and Giedre Aukstuoliene jointly lead the team. Petravicius is representing AB Amber Grid, a national gas transmission operator, in a multifaceted dispute with AB Achema over the latter's obligation to pay the tariff used to compensate the operational and investment costs of the LNG terminal in Klaipeda seaport in Lithuania. Aukstuoliene is active in the courts and before arbitral tribunals. Egidijus Baranauskas is acting for Kaunas City Municipality in a contractual dispute with road infrastructure company Kamesta over the termination of a long-term concession agreement. In May 2020 the team saw longstanding expert and former Justice of the Supreme Court of Lithuania Valentinas Mikelėnas return to the firm after 23 years. He was most recently at TGS Baltic.
Ramunas Petravicius; Giedre Aukstuoliene
‘Miroslav Nosevich is an experienced litigator, and is accurate and rational. Aleksandr Asovskij is an excellent adviser, team builder and coordinator of legal matters. Both are communicative, responsible, and flexible.’
‘The team has very good specialists, such as Vilija Vaitkute Pavan, Ramunas Petravicius, Giedre Aukstuoliene, Egidijus Baranauskas, Marius Juonys, Miroslav Nosevic.’
‘Ramunas Petravicius is famous because of his professionalism and experience. He is strategically-minded and trustworthy.’
‘Ellex’s dispute resolution team is extremely competent.’
‘The firm has a strong team, which is always available to assist with legal issues. It gives prudent advice, and helps to develop and implement litigation strategy.’
‘The team has a very commercial and result-oriented way of working, which is combined with in-depth legal knowledge, local business practices and the needs of the client. Excellent service with quick turnaround times.’
‘Valentinas Mikelėnas is an excellent professional in the dispute resolution area.’
Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania
Kaunas City Municipality
East Capital (Lux) Baltic Fund
AB Amber Grid
- Representing Alita AB before the Lithuanian Court of Appeal in proceedings concerning the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards of the Foreign Trade Court of Arbitration of the Serbian Chamber of Commerce.
- Representing national energy conglomerate Lietuvos Energija in a state aid investigation launched by the European Commission.
- Represented East Capital Baltic Fund (as a minority shareholder) in a €10.5m damages action against the management of AB Rokiskio.
Motieka & Audzevicius
Motieka & Audzevicius is 'one of the best dispute resolution firms in Lithuania.' Active in litigation and international arbitrations, the team is experienced in appearing before the Supreme Court of Lithuania, the Supreme Administrative Court and before the CJEU. 'Excellent strategist' Ramūnas Audzevičius and the 'well respected' Jovitas Elzbergas jointly lead the team. Audzevičius represented real estate management company VA Reals before the Court of Appeal in a civil case over the validity of areal estate transfer agreement. Mantas Juozaitis is active in tax disputes. Rita Griguolaitė specialises in antitrust litigation and regulatory matters. Albertas Šekštelo is also recommended.
Ramūnas Audzevičius; Jovitas Elzbergas
‘We can confirm that Motieka & Audzevicius is one of the best dispute resolution firms in Lithuania. It possesses really talented and highly experienced litigators, who are very responsive, fast and efficient. Their quality of written work is also impeccable. Motieka & Audzevicius is our number one choice as legal partners for international disputes concerning Lithuania, Nordics and the CIS Region.’
‘Motieka & Audzevicius has a reputation as a top litigation boutique, which provides a professional and efficient service to its clients. Team members are known to be responsive, hard-working, dedicated and strategic; they suggest unique solutions and strategies for complex cases.’
‘Motieka & Audzevicius were particularly impressive in exposing all weaknesses of our opponents’ case, predicting next moves of the opponents and building our case strategy. They were always available and produced very good results.’
‘We have worked closely and still work with dispute resolution partners Rimantas Daujotas and Ramūnas Audzevičius. They both are truly devoted litigators who are able to dissect the case in the very detail and attack the opponent on the weakest points. Rimantas is an expert in international arbitration and the enforcement of international arbitral awards. He has significant practical experience, as well as a very strong academic background. Ramunas is an excellent strategist and negotiator, and is very well known in the CIS region.’
‘Albertas Sekstelo joined the cases at the later stage and made a very positive impact. He immediately came up with great ideas, which helped to improve our position in all four cases.’
‘Albertas is a very experienced lawyer with good legal writing and oral presentation skills. I believe he has what it takes to be a winner in any dispute.’
‘Esteemed partner Jovitas Elzbergas is a well-respected figure in the disputes arena.’
KPMG Baltics Teso LT
- Represented Via Sportas at the Vilnius Regional Court in a case concerning the validity of a lease contract of state land and related administrative acts.
- Represented Veikmės statyba as a claimant in a case concerning allegedly concerted actions of two companies in a public procurement organised by the Vilnius University Hospital Santaros Klinikos and the Ministry of Health of The Republic of Lithuania.
- Representing City Service in a circa €21m damages action brought by The Prosecutor General and Vilnius City Municipality over the allegedly improper maintenance of Vilnius City kindergartens and schools from 2002 up to 2013.
Sorainen's 'responsive and professional' practice has a 'broad range of expertise' in commercial arbitration and domestic and international litigation. The team is jointly led by Kęstutis Švirinas, Žygimantas Pacevičius and Laurynas Lukošiūnas. Švirinas defended Mart Inn Food in a €287m damages action where it had been alleged that confidential information was illegally used. Pacevičius has represented private and state entities. Lukošiūnas is 'creative' and 'customer orientated', and has experience of representing clients in real estate, corporate, and restructuring and insolvency disputes, among many other areas.
Kęstutis Švirinas; Žygimantas Pacevičius; Laurynas Lukošiūnas
‘Wide range of different legal specialisations among the team’s members; focusing on client’s result (always take priority to practical solutions), great case management, the partners strong commitment of being involved in every case – those and others attributes make the Sorainen dispute team in Lithuania unique and distinguishes the team from other law firms.’
‘Very responsive and professional, good command of English, attentive with updates and progress reports. Well-connected in the region, commercially and legally astute with a broad range of expertise.’
‘Ability to think out of the box.’
‘I work with Kestutis Švirinas, who is very responsive. He understands client needs and is a pleasure to work with. He is an excellent lawyer.’
‘Kestutis Svirinas is a tough litigator and has a winning instinct.’
‘Without any doubt, Kestutis Svirinas (the partner heading up the Sorainen dispute team in Lithuania) stands out as the one of the most experienced lawyers in complex litigation and arbitration cases.’
‘Laurynas Lukošiūnas is very customer-oriented, creative, has a perfect knowledge of the dispute resolution area, good communication skills and is a perfect client manager.’
Siemens Mobility Oy
United Parcel Service of America Inc.
Mart Inn Food
- Representing Social Democratic Party of Lithuania in a dispute with the Central Electoral Commission of Lithuania (CEC) on possible non-compliance of the political campaign rules in the Parliament elections in 2016.
- Representing Hirostatyba in a contractual dispute against Sweco Lithuania, a planning and designing company, on the potential designer’s responsibility for the quality and timing of the design work.
- Representing bankrupted Lithuanian bank SNORAS in a high profile civil case (valued at more than €500m) against former shareholders of the bank.
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners' dispute resolution practice provides 'a first class service', with Solveiga Palevičienė at the helm. Palevičienė is particularly experienced in breach of contract claims, matters involving breaches of fiduciary duty and shareholder disputes. In addition to being active in court litigation, Palevičienė is also sought out in international arbitrations. Jonas Masiokas' recent work included patent disputes.
‘Glimstedt provide a first class service explaining the country law and procedures, which differ from English law and practices.’
‘The team responds quickly, and is clear and precise in the advice given.’
‘Audrius Zvybas and Eivydas Sadauskas have represented us in a most professional manner focusing us on the critical points taking emotion out of the equation.’
Devold of Norway
Tamasu Butterfly GmbH
- Representing Gillette in court litigation over an intellectual property dispute with Vostok-jug.
- Represented Alvogen IPCO Sarl Synthon in court litigation over the revocation of national part of the European Patent 2 494 335 owned by the respondent Yeda Research & Development Company.
- Representing AB Grigeo as the claimant in a dispute with Norwegian company Lavprisgrossisten over the recovery of an outstanding debt.
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas provides 'expert-level, effective and timely advice.' The firm has experience representing banks and credit unions, as well as some of the largest companies in Lithuania. Gintaras Balčiūnas jointly leads the practice with Marius Grajauskas, who together with Jurgita Najulyte represented a series of insolvent credit unions in court in litigation centred on the alleged misuse of funds and property by the clients' former managers. Another name to note is Vaidas Radvila, who handles disputes connected with the liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector.
Gintaras Balčiūnas; Marius Grajauskas
‘Expert level, prompt attention, effective and timely advice and consultations.’
‘Most experienced and professional lawyer of the company in our opinion is Mr. Gintaras Balciunas. Also, Ms. Ruta Syminaite, Mr. Konradas Pabijanskas – known and valued for effective assistance, professionalism, high competence and positive attitude.’
AB Danske Bank
- Representing Roche Lietuva in court litigation centred on possible infringements of tendering terms and conditions in health sector public procurements.
- Representing Achemos grupe at the Court of Appeal of Lithuania in a shareholder dispute against the minority shareholders.
- Represented Lithuanian car parts retailer Eoltas in court litigation over the allegedly unlawful use of the company’s name by UAB “Marijampolės Eoltas”.
Magnusson handles civil litigation and arbitration for clients from a wide range of sectors, including healthcare, energy and education. Managing partner Marius Liatukas is representing the Administration of Plungė District Municipality in two court disputes with Profilena UAB, which are centred on payments allegedly due from the client for the use of Profilena’s engineering systems. Evaldas Rapolas has particular experience of acting for international investors and state entities in commercial litigation and arbitration cases. Marius Endzinas, who co-heads the practice with Liatukas, is another name to note.
Marius Liatukas; Evaldas Rapolas; Marius Endzinas
- Representing Algirdas Avižienis (the former rector of Vytautas Magnus University and professor of the University of California (UCLA)) at the Constitutional Court of Lithuania in a dispute with Petras Baršauskas (the rector of Kaunas University of Technology) over alleged infringements of academic ethics, including plagiarism.
- Represented the Hospital of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences Kauno klinikos in a matter before the Supreme Administrative Court against the Ministry of Health of Lithuania over the licensing of haematopoietic stem cell transplantation services.
- Representing Kaunas City public health centre as the respondent in two public-and-private-partnership disputes.
Primus Derling covers international arbitrations, and domestic and cross-border litigation. It demonstrates strong capabilities in contentious matters involving areas such as public procurement, construction and employment, among others. Group head Marius Devyžis has experience of acting on labour, shareholder and sports disputes. Recent work included representing FK Riteriai in a contractual dispute against former player Maksim Maksimov. Robert Juodka is sought out by international corporates and insurance companies.
- Representing Siemens Healthcare in court litigation against competitor Interlux over a public procurement tender.
- Represented Lietuvos Kepejas in a series of court proceedings over a land restitution claim brought by descendants of the former owners of the land under the factory of the client.
- Acted for Eviko in a claim brought by Sangaras, and counter-claim brought by the client, over the construction of the Estonian National Road Museum.
TGS Baltic's practice provides 'exceptional engagement and quality service.' It is active in litigation and arbitration work involving a wide variety of sectors, including energy, retail, telecommunications and transport. 'Excellent professional' Marius Brasiūnas leads the team after former practice co-head Valentinas Mikelėnas left for Ellex in May 2020. Lina Darulienė was part of a team acting for Ab Orlen Lietuva in court litigation against Belarussian state-owned company Druzhba over ownership rights to oil at a refinery. Žydrūnė Stuglytė has experience of banking, insolvency and shareholder disputes.
‘Proactive, innovative, proposing new ideas or angles to address the dispute.’
‘Lina Darulienė and Indrė Barauskiene make a strong team, full of passion for the matter, good ideas for implementation and cool head to make it work.’
‘When working with TGS the exceptional engagement and quality service is always on the table. TGS’ Dovilė Armalytė stands out because of her competence, communication and case management skills.’
TV Play Baltics AS
Residential Management Inc.
State Enterprise Klaipėda State Seaport Authority
- Represented CPO LT as a defendant in a court case over international fuel public procurement.
- Acting for State Enterprise Klaipėda State Seaport Authority in court litigation against its former CEO at the Vilnius Regional Court over a failure to pay contractors.
- Representing UAB NEG Recycling in court litigation over allegedly unlawful actions taken by MAATC to eliminate the client from a contract for the construction and operation of mechanical biological treatment facilities for household waste.
WALLESS has a standout arbitration practice, and is active in disputes in Lithuania and further afield internationally. The firm also has a strong litigation capability, which sees it handle tax, insurance, corporate and M&A disputes. 'Outstanding arbitrator' Gediminas Dominas (whose firm Dominas Levin merged with Walless in April 2019) is the head of the team. Dominas represented Swedish cider producer Kopparbergs Bryggeri in litigation concerning low quality glass bottles. Aiste Medeliene is well-known for her tax and customs disputes work.
‘Strong litigation team plus the best arbitration team in Lithuania.’
‘Gediminas Dominas and Simona Drukteiniene are very good specialists in dispute resolution.’
‘Gediminas Dominas is an outstanding arbitrator.’
‘Gediminas Dominas (business oriented, market respects him) and Simona Drukteiniene (very diligent, responsible, logical).’
‘Gediminas Dominas represents our interests, gives advice and solutions in an honest and professional manner.’
Credit Union Amber
Kopenhagen Fur International
Bank of Georgia
- Representing Enteco Baltic in a multimillion euro tax dispute (concerning import VAT) in the Lithuanian courts and the CJEU.
- Representing Lords LB Asset Management in a dispute over the implementation of the preliminary sale-purchase agreement on the acquisition of the property in the area where the seller disputes the issued construction permit.
- Represented AB SEB Bankas in a tax dispute related to VAT deduction. The case was also referred to the CJEU.
Averus' dispute resolution practice is led by Regina Derkintytė-Kaupienė and Raimondas Kivylius. Derkintyte-Kaupiene is acting for Litana and Ko in litigation arising from the construction of a new IKEA factory in Kazlų Rūda in Lithuania. Kivylius' expertise includes tax disputes and disputes with credit institutions, as well as restructuring and bankruptcy matters.
Regina Derkintyte-Kaupiene; Raimondas Kivylius
Lithuanian Shipping Company
- Representing Autodata in a damages action over the unlawful detention of used vehicles.
- Represented water supply company Raseinių vandenys in litigation against the Environmental Protection Agency and the Ministry of Environment of Lithuania. This followed an investigation into the use of EU funds.
- Representing Donald McArthy Trading in a dispute with a German seller over the arrest of cargo.
bnt attorneys in CEE
Mindaugas Navickas leads the team at bnt attorneys in CEE, which is an integrated part of a wider dispute resolution group in Central and Eastern Europe. The firm is also prominent in the Lithuanian market, as was evidenced when Navickas represented Euroelektronika in an unfair competition case against a former employee and a company represented by a former employee. Rasa Grambaitė-Pusčienė is also a notable member of the team.
Vilnius International School
- Representing the city of Weilheim an der Teck in a dispute against a Lithuanian tour operator, which arose from an all-inclusive group tour for more than 30 travellers being cancelled due to Frankfurt airport being closed because of a drone incident.
- Representing German pharmaceutical distributor H.Abbe Pharma as a claimant in a civil damages claim (launched as an annex to criminal proceedings) against the former head of the representative office of the client in Lithuania.
- Represented German recycling and waste management company Alba Ferrous in a series of legal disputes against a former Lithuanian seller of scrap metal.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) provides dispute resolution support to Lithuanian and international companies. Managing partner Jonas Saladžius is experienced in litigation and investigations connected with the financial services sector. In addition, he has industry expertise in areas such as construction, energy and infrastructure, and food and drink. Team head Rimtis Puišys handles litigation in various areas, including corporate and commercial, IP and tax. Senior associate Arnoldas Jokubaitis is another key member of the team, as is associate Manvydas Borusas.
Berlin Chemie Menarini
Baranauskas & Partners Hansa Law Offices
Baranauskas & Partners Hansa Law Offices is active in all forms of dispute resolution, and it advises private and business clients on a wide range of areas, including transport, personal injury and labour. Vidas Vilkas leads the team.
ECOVIS ProventusLaw's practice has represented its clients in administrative proceedings, civil litigation and arbitrations. The 'real professional' Kęstutis Kvainauskas, who is the head of the team, is both an experienced litigator and a registered arbitrator at the Vilnius Court of Commercial Arbitration. Senior associate Brigida Bacienė has experience of unfair competition cases (involving former/existing employees), shareholder disputes and unpaid fees for services rendered.
‘I would like to note that the partner Kestutis Kvainauskas and senior associate Paulius Gavelis are real professionals and experienced lawyers in dispute resolution. I know that I can rely on their advice and strategy. In addition, I would like to note that they are following all news which appears in the courts practice, so it means that the documents prepared by Kestutis or Paulius would be in line with the newest practice.’
‘I chose Ecovis ProventusLaw because its lawyers are always prepared to provide strategic guidance and offer practical solutions to my challenges. The team has a very open mind and good communication skills. Furthermore, Ecovis ProventusLaw is very targeted to achieve the best results in every case and every lawyer of this law firm is a well-accomplished negotiator. In my mind, such combination shows that Ecovis ProventusLaw is really taking care of the needs of clients and tries to protect their clients’ rights and interests.’
The Lithuanian Chamber of Auditors
- Represented a childcare institution in an appeal of a supervisory authority’s decision to withdraw the client’s licence to provide care services.
- Representing a scientist at the Constitutional Court in a dispute with the Social Insurance Fund Board about the recalculation of the scientist’s pension.
- Represented the Lithuanian Chamber of Auditors in court litigation over the client’s decision to remove a firm of auditors from the list of members of the Lithuanian Chamber of Auditors.
Law firm J. Judickiene and Partners Jurex
Law firm J. Judickiene and Partners Jurex specialises in business dispute resolution, and handles a wide range of contentious matters, including finance, corporate and bankruptcy disputes. The team is co-led by Jurgita Judickienė and Marius Tamošiūnas. Judickienė has experience of acting in both court litigation and arbitration proceedings. Tamošiūnas is active in disputes involving directors' liability issues, especially in relation to actions taken before insolvency proceedings. Ignas Dargužas left the firm.
Jurgita Judickienė; Marius Tamošiūnas
British American Tobacco
- Represented Geležinkelio tiesimo centras in a a challenge of a public procurement procedure connected with the Rail Baltica project.
- Acted for UAB Finance group in a claim against its former client UAB Seslita over Seslita’s alleged failure to execute a settlement agreement, which allegedly led to the client sustaining a loss of income.
- Representing construction and development company Pentacom in several proceedings connected with the client’s sudden bankruptcy. The bankruptcy was an alleged result of unfair competition by previous owners and managers establishing competing businesses and taking over Pentacom’s know-how, clients and projects.
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius primarily acts for international companies and private investors in litigation proceedings in Lithuania and abroad. The firm's workload has previously included aviation disputes and matters of national security. Team head Vytautas Šulija has experience of acting in high-profile cases, which recently included representing Russia Today in challenging the ban on the website in Lithuania due to an alleged copyright infringement of the Lithuanian National Radio and Television.
All Russian State Television and Radion
VL Aircraft Leasing
- Advising VL Airleasing on a $1.4m insurance dispute with the Lithuanian branch of Latvian insurance company AAS “BTA Baltic Insurance Company”.
- Representing Lampe & Schwartze, a German insurance company, in a €1m cross-border claim against the Lithuanian Shipping Company (now under bankruptcy proceedings) and Lithuanian railways.
- Representing four journalists of All-Russia State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company in a case related to their deportation from Lithuania on the grounds of being considered to be a threat to national security.
FORT has a strong reputation in matters involving an EU law component, and it excels in related proceedings in the CJEU and Supreme Court. Andrius Mamontovas, who is the head of the team, has particular experience of cases involving bankruptcy and investment-related issues. Associate Gytis Kuncevičius has represented clients in disputes against regulatory authorities, including matters concerning the confiscation of clients' assets by the state.
‘Good expertise in specific areas.’
UAB mogo LT
511th association for the construction and operation of garages
- Representing 200 investors who subscribed for shares in bankrupt bank Snoras in a €1.2m class action.
- Representing investors in court litigation against the National Land Service over the non-issuance of a permit to start the construction of commercial premises on a state-owned land plot.
Triniti's dispute resolution team has experience of litigation, arbitrations and private mediation. Newly appointed managing partner Vilija Viešūnaitė heads up the team, which acts in IT and intellectual property matters in Lithuanian, English and Russian. Linas Sabaliauskas is an arbitrator of the Vilnius Court of Commercial Arbitration. Vytautas Kalmatavičius has acted in real estate disputes such as breaches of contracts and boundary disputes.
National Association of Grain Growers
- Representing Bite Lietuva as the defendant in litigation against Lithuanian copyright agency LATGA over the responsibility of the internet service provider for the copyright infringement on the internet.
- Representing Sky International in court litigation over allegedly unfair competition by a Chinese company, which is attempting to obtain rights to use the client’s trade mark in Lithuania.
- Representing Deutsche Bahn International in two court cases against Lithuanian Railways.