The tax offering at Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm advises multinationals and corporates on complex tax aspects of corporate transactions. Carlos Abou Jaoude heads up the tax practice. Souraya Machnouk who leads the firm’s M&A group is a key contact for global tax restructuring matters, and has demonstrable strength in advising global conglomerates on the tax aspects of market entry into Lebanon. Other names include Simon El Kai.
Firms in the Spotlight Tax
Tax in Lebanon
Doctors without Borders
Burmeister & Wain Scandinavian Contractor A/S
Laceco Architects & Engineers
Mr. Carlos Ghosn
Al Araby TV
- Advised renowned IT group Midis on its global 60-company complex corporate and tax group restructuring in the context of new BVI economic-substance regulations involving 5 jurisdictions and Big Four audit firm Deloitte.
- Advised global tech company Ericsson on complex tax matters related to their employee incentive plaN.
- Advised Fortune500 American multinational conglomerate 3M on the tax aspects of the establishment of its business presence in Lebanon
Tax related litigation is the main area of focus at Alem & Associates which has extensive experience appearing before the Lebanese State Council. The practice is jointly led by senior partners Mohamed Y Alem and Nader Obeid from Beirut who also advise on regulatory issues.
Mohamed Y. Alem; Nader Obeid
‘Partners are extremely experienced and this gives credibility when associated with them’
‘This practice is technically very strong and its lawyers are always available to provide the service. Senior lawyers ensure themselves and their teams are always mobilised when needed to provide a high quality service’
‘I highly appreciated their availability, their self confidence when dealing with difficult situations and the way they have to reassure you in challenging situations. What is also important is their technical knowledge and expertise’
‘A firm like no other Alem & Associates are really one of a kind in the legal advisors who combine different areas of specialties. Their team is numerous and all are highly specialized.’
‘All are highly professional. They are all dedicated to help us build trust and they delivered sustained outcomes. Commercial awareness, attention to detail, excellent communication skills, great team and excellent teamwork, Information technology use, creative problem solving, initiative, the ability to work under pressure makes them stand out from the crowd. Mohammed Alem, Rola Tabsh, Leila Alem and the rest are a pleasure to work with.’
At Badri and Salim El Meouchi LLP, the tax practice is active on tax-related advice on corporate transactions, particularly across the projects and banking sectors. Practice head Chadia El Meouchi is known for her banking and commercial expertise and is supported by co-head Carine Ferran. Large Lebanese companies instruct the team on various PPP projects, foreign investment, and acquisitions.
Chadia El Meouchi; Carine Farran
Banque Misr Liban
Saint-Gobain Middle East
Construction Development Company International
Projects Development Company
Audi Saradar Private Bank
- Assisting the EBRD (European Bank for Reconstruction and Development) as a part of an international consortium in the context of the pre-feasibility study for PPP project for the commercial development of the Kleiat airport that is currently used for military purposes.
- Acting as lead Lebanese counsel to European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on the Khalde expressway project.
Obeid & Partners has a cross-practice tax group that handles complex taxation matters for major local and foreign clients operating in the oil and gas sector. The team specialises in tax planning work for foreign investors, compliance issues, and M&A transactions. The group is led by Marie Hayek, Ziad Obeid and Counsel Claude Comair.
Marie Hayek; Claude Comair; Ziad Obeid.