Firms in the Spotlight Real estate and construction (including projects)
Real estate and construction (including projects) in Lebanon
Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm has handled a number of big-ticket energy projects in the region. For example, practice co-head Souraya Machnouk recently advised Lebanon’s Dapp II Sal and J&P Avax on the development of a combined-cycle gas-turbine power project valued at $500m. Moreover, she also assisted Bank Audi with financing the first-ever wind energy project in Lebanon. Name partner and fellow co-head Carlos Abou Jaoude is particularly skilled in handling PPP projects. Senior associate Rana Kateb specialises in the energy sector, providing support on major projects.
Burmeister & Wain Scandinavian Contractor
Construtora Andrade Gutierrez SA
B.B. Energy Group
BayWa r.e. Renewable Energy
Prime Metro Power Holdings Corporation
Municipality of Beirut
Plus Properties Group
Laceco Architects & Engineers Group
- Advising the consortium between Lebanon’s DAPP II Sal and J&P Avax as the developer of a combined-cycle gas-turbine power project.
- Advising the Debbas group on the $200m renewal of a distribution and service provider contract with the Lebanese government for the rehabilitation and modernisation of the electricity power grid in Lebanon.
- Assisting B.B. Energy Group with its bid, alongside other energy companies, for the development of power plants under the new reform plan by the Lebanese government.
Alem & Associates's position as a regional law firm (it also has offices in Riyadh and Dubai) allows the team to advise on transactions in both Lebanon and across the GCC. For example, practice co-head Mohamed Alem advised on the 300mSAR development of a mall in Dammam in Saudi Arabia. Fellow co-head Rola Tabsh advised Lebanese bank, Lucid Investment Bank, on its $10m acquisition of an office building in Cyprus.
Legacy Central SAL
Radian Oil & Gas Services Company
TK Holding SAL
- Advised Lucid Investment Bank on setting up the legal structure and funding for the acquisition of an office building in Laranca, Cyprus.
- Assisted Rikaz Properties with the development and operation of a mall belonging to the Dammam Municipality.
- Advised Rikaz Properties on a concession agreement with the Dammam Municipality to build, operate and maintain a project on the Al Khobar seafront.
Badri and Salim El Meouchi LLP has a strong track record in the oil and gas sector, but has recently seen a uptick in work relating to the renewable energy space. Practice head and managing partner Chadia El Meouchi is a key name in the market for energy and infrastructure mandates and regularly works on mandates alongside Walid Honein. Name partner Samia El Meouchi is another key member of the team and is very active in real estate transactions, as is senior associate Carine Farran, who focuses on project finance.
Banque Misr Liban
Saint-Gobain Middle East
Construction Development Company International
Audi Saradar Private Bank
Projects Development Company
El-Aref International Law Office's real estate practice stands out for its 'commitment, which goes way beyond the call of duty' and it is a popular choice for major real estate developments and energy projects in the region. Practice head Aref El-Aref recently advised Primesouth on its $480m development of three offshore liquefied natural gas regasification terminals. He also assisted Barbir Hospital with its $100m build-operate-transfer contract with a contractor.
‘Their commitment to go way beyond the call of duty, when work is asked of them. ‘
‘They also amend their payment terms to provide the maximum comfort needed to their clients.’
‘Aref El-Aref is one of the most honest and hard working people I know.’
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries,
TCQ Power Ltd
STX Heavy Industries Ltd
National Real Estate Company
Kuwait Real Estate Company
Faisal Holding, Ltd.
Coral Suites Al-Hamra
Hunter & Hill
Massaleh Real Estate
- Advised TCQ Power and Sepco Electric Power Construction Corporation on an independent power production project in Zahrani in Lebanon.
- Assisted Capital Gas with the development of a gas pipeline project and the rehabilitation of transmission lines in the Republic of Gambia.
- Assisted Barbir Hospital with its $100m build-operate-transfer contract with a contractor.
Obeid Law Firm has considerable expertise handling engineering and construction projects, as well as investments in the space. Its work in this space also includes oil and gas disputes across the MENA region. Nayla Comair-Obeid, Ziad Obeid and counsel Marie Hayek are noteworthy names.
El-Khoury & Partners Legal Counsel (EKP)'s team is led by Ziad El-Khoury, who has a unique blend of local and international expertise having previously worked as managing partner for Holman Fenwick Willan LLP's Beirut office prior to their separation. He recently advised the local industrial and trading company Matco Marketing & Trading Sarl on building a plant for the manufacturing of cosmetic products through a joint venture with a leading Italian industrial group. Hadi Melki is another name of note and regularly assists with energy and infrastructure projects, often through a public-private-partnership.
‘The stand out partners are Ziad EL Khoury and Hady Melki. They are always available and deliver ahead of time.’
- Advising Lebanon International Autodrome on building and operating a motorsport complex.
- Advising Matco Marketing & Trading Sarl on building a plant for the manufacturing of cosmetic products through a joint venture with an Italian industrial group.