Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Dispute resolution in Lebanon
Alem & Associates handles high-stakes commercial litigation and arbitration, as exemplified by its recent representation for Al Salam Development in a $1bn litigation case involving the fraudulent misappropriation of companies. Practice head Mohamed Alem was the lead partner on that matter and also acted for Golden Grain Sal in a debt recovery claim totalling $140m. Other key figures from the team include: Nader Obeid, who regularly supports Alem on major mandates, senior associate Rana Kahwagi, who is an expert in construction disputes; and Raymond Helou, who was recently made partner and specialises in white-collar criminal law.
Taweelah Aluminium Extrusion Company LLC
Al Salam Development Co.
Mission Laique Francaise
St. Jude Medical Coordination Center
RAMCO Trading and Contracting SAL
Barbel, Marlon and Albert Abela
HOLDAL – Abou Adal Group
Golden Grain Sal (Offshore)
Forest Capital Holdings Limited
Sakson Egypt Petroleum Services Company
Fomento de Construcciones y Contratas SA
Starneth Global Ltd
Egypt Environmental Services SAE
- Acting for Al Salam Development, as the claimant, in a bankruptcy case, relating to an outstanding payment totalling $110m.
- Represented Barbel Abela in an exequatur of an Arbitration Award issued by the International Court of Arbitration at the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Acted for Sakson Egypt Petroleum Services Company in a lawsuit against an insurance broker based on its default in obtaining the proper policy insurance and its consequent liability for damages equivalent to $4m.
El-Khoury & Partners Legal Counsel (EKP)'s disputes team has recently been strengthened by the arrival of Georges Okais, who brings a unique perspective when acting before government authorities having previously served as a judge in the Lebanese courts. The team is a key name for cross-border disputes, with Hadi Melki recently acting for China National Chemical Engineering in an $8m dispute involving the construction of a labour camp in Saudi Arabia. Also recommended is senior associate Bassem Chalhoub, who is very experienced in commercial and employment litigation.
Georges Okais; Hadi Melki
‘Wissam Hachem and Ziad El Khoury personally are involved at every step and follow through until issues are resolved.’
China National Chemical Engineering
Pharmacie le Gabriel
Saudi Arabian Airlines
Sinopec International Petroleum Service Corporation
- Representing Elekta in a compensation lawsuit filed by its former Lebanese agent following the principal’s termination of the distribution arrangement for default by the agent in reaching the targets agreed upon.
- Acting for Pureessentiel TM, a French company owner of a renowned cosmetics trade mark, in a lawsuit against an Indonesian manufacturer and a Lebanese distributor for trade mark infringement.
- Representing Pharmacie Le Gabriel in a criminal case brought against its employee to recover stolen amounts and pharmaceutical products.
Obeid Law Firm has a stellar reputation for representing international domestic clients in litigation, international arbitration and mediation. Its case portfolio includes high-stakes investment disputes, where it acts for major multinational companies. Ziad Obeid leads the team and is notably skilled in handling cross-border disputes. Other noteworthy names include Nayla Comair-Obeid and counsel Mona Tohmé.
Badri and Salim El Meouchi LLP has 'an excellent team' with 'unique knowledge and expertise'. Salim El Meouchi leads the practice and is highly skilled in disputes concerning the banking sector, with senior adviser Khalil Sarkis regularly supporting him in litigation. Managing partner Chadia El Meouchi is another notable name and has experience of contractual disputes and shareholder disagreements. Senior associate Elie Feghali is also recommended.
Salim El Meouchi
‘Unique knowledge and expertise.‘
Banque Misr Liban
Saint-Gobain Middle East
Construction Development Company International
Audi Saradar Private Bank
Projects Development Company
Law Offices of Naoum Farah's disputes team is a key name for clients in the media industry and is known for its 'strategic case assessment' and 'skillful implementation of litigation methodology'. Managing partner Naoum Farah leads the team and acted for The Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation International in a lawsuit brought against it by a Lebanese political party. Another key figure is Weygand Farhat, who is an expert in white-collar criminal law.
‘Naoum Farah and Weygand Farhat are usually together when discussing the case and I like the brainstorming of ideas that is involved during the meeting because it helps me clarify more my ideas and dig through events I would have forgotten or overshadowed.’
‘Its associates are highly skilled, highly educated and very dedicated. Mr. Farah follows personally every single case with his associates despite his numerous clients and cases.’
‘You always have the feeling that dealing with them is not a commercial transaction, they are sincerely concerned in your case like if it is their own. it is like a family office.’
‘They spend many hours, all the time needed, on drafting their pleadings, listening to their clients and most importantly proper advising.’
‘The team is extremely professional and highly motivated.’
‘Strategic case assessment and skillful implementation of litigation methodology.’
The Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation International
- Represented The Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation International in a lawsuit brought against it by a Lebanese political party.
- Acted for The Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation in a dispute against the political party Lebanese Forces. The party was the initial owner of the corporation and argued that its current chairman did not properly purchase the entity during its transfer of ownership.
Albert and Ziad Najm Law Firm
Shipping and insurance claims are the two key pillars of Albert and Ziad Najm Law Firm's practice. Name partner Ziad Najm is an expert in marine litigation, especially in areas such as cargo claims, charter party disputes, and sale and purchase disputes.
AXA Middle East Insurance
LIA Insurance SAL
La Sécurité Assurance
Al Gezairi transport
Edouard Cordahi shipping agency
- Represented AXA Insurance in a Lawsuit against Kuehne & Nagel and Emirates for damaged cargo.
- Represented Lia Insurance in a lawsuit against Bollore for a theft claim.
- Acted for Axa against the carrier MSC in a fire that occurred on MSC Daniela.
Baroudi & Associates
Shareholder disputes, banking litigation and recovery claims are the key areas of focus for Baroudi & Associates. Managing partner Jean Baroudi leads the team and is an expert in litigation and arbitration. Josiane Lahoud, who is an expert in IP, banking and employment, and associate Lea Ferzli, who is experienced in insurance disputes, are also noted.
Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm is well known in the market for its non-contentious work but also has a notable dispute resolution practice, with partners specialising in either commercial litigation or arbitration Rania Khoury heads the domestic and international arbitration practice; managing partner Carlos Abou Jaoude is also highly skilled in handling cross-border arbitration cases; and Simon El Kai is a key name for litigation and has particular expertise in the pharmaceuticals and healthcare sectors.
Rania Khoury; Carlos Abou Jaoude; Simon El Kai
Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation International SAL
Mr. Pierre El Daher
Burmeister & Wain Scandinavian Contractor
Middle East Venture Partners Fund
Construction Management Associates
FFA Real Estate
- Represented LBCI and Pierre El Daher in the $220m cross-border arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce brought against them by the Rotana group of companies.
- Acted for Impact Fund by MEVP Holding, MEVP Industrial, and BBEF Holding collectively as claimants against the fraudulent transfer of shares by shareholders of Bookwitty, a company the clients invested in.
- Defended SITA Information Networking Computing against claims of gross and flagrant misconduct brought by The General Prosecutor of Beirut due to major disruptions with the client’s systems managing airport departures and baggage drop.
Abdel Ghani Hamdan
Kabalan & Associates is notably skilled in commercial litigation and international arbitration. The team has previously acted in ICC and LCIA arbitration proceedings. Noureddine Kabalan is the key name.
MENA City Lawyers
MENA City Lawyers has experience of representing clients before the Lebanese courts as well as in domestic and international arbitration proceedings. Fady Jamaleddine is the key name and has extensive experience in cross-border litigation, particularly in the areas of information technology and intellectual property.
SAAS Lawyers | Avocats is highly skilled in international arbitration and litigation, with a strong emphasis on sectors such as banking, construction and real estate. Co-founder Marwan Sakr is a key figure and is notably skilled in cross-border disputes, particularly cases involving banking, insurance and corporate law.