Indriķis Liepa leads Cobalt’s highly specialised IP, IT and telecoms practice, which represents both innovative startups and established leading multinational companies, in sectors ranging from pharmaceuticals to retail. Liepa oversees M&A deals and assists in the arrangement of investment projects, often catering to household names within the pharmaceutical space, such as Pfizer. Ugis Zeltins leads on many of the firm’s IP disputes matters, including those before the Latvian Customs Authority. Līga Fjodorova leads the division of the practice concerning patents, designs and trademarks, while fellow senior associate Linda Birina heads up the division for data protection, IT and media; the pair provide strategic advice for clients operating within Latvia, as well as those starting business within Europe and the US.
IP, IT and telecoms in Latvia
Other key lawyers:
Uģis Zeltiņš; Linda Bīriņa; Līga Fjodorova
‘Super reliable professionals’
‘Liga Fjodorova: Works in a very structured manner. She is clear and gets right to the point. Besides that, she is friendly and diligent. I fully trust in her work, and in her capability to bring complicated cases to a successful end.’
ANDREAS STIHL AG & Co. KG
Public Broadcasters (Latvian Television and Latvian Radio)
- Advised SuperHero Capital on investment into the soft packaging marketplace startup PrintOnPack.com.
- Representation of Andreas Stihl AG & Co KG in a dispute before the Latvian Customs Authority and the court regarding a large detained shipment of counterfeits.
- Advised Catchbox SIA, a joint Latvian-Finnish manufacturer of microphones, on trademark and design protection strategy in the U.S. and Europe.
Ellex has a split practice, with a division for IP, led by Mārtiņš Gailis, and another focussing on telecoms and IT, headed by Sarmis Spilbergs. Gailis litigates on IP disputes before international courts, as well as Latvian civil and administrative courts, and has specialist knowledge of EU trademark cases. Spillbergs advises large corporations to implement IT systems and ensure regulatory compliance in the Latvian jurisdiction and notably represents Starlink, a division of SpaceX aimed at establishing a satellite internet constellation. Edvijs Zandars and Mikijs Zīmecs are also recommended.
Martins Gailis; Sarmis Spilbergs
Other key lawyers:
Mikijs Zīmecs; Edvijs Zandars
‘I suggest this law firm as Ellex has specialists with a very good theoretical and practical background. They collaborate with the respective state authorities and have outstanding knowledge of their administrative practices.’
‘We work with Martins Gailis and Edvijs Zandars on the process of registration of our trademarks. We found the explanations provided by them very useful – the process, potential timelines and the risks. We feel like we have been guided by very professional lawyers through this process.’
‘The whole company is very results-oriented. They take the legal load off of my shoulders.’
Sky International AG
Getir Perakande Anonim Şirketi
Andreas Stihl AG & Co. KG
Paul Mason (IKEA franchisee)
Balcia Insurance SE
Depozīta Iepakojuma Operators (Deposit System Operator)
NATO Stratcom COE
- Represented Geti̇r Perakende Loji̇sti̇k Anoni̇m Şi̇rketi̇, the operator of Getir groceries delivery app, in two opposition proceedings against a Latvian competitor that has registered trademarks “Getify”.
- Advised PreferRent in setting up and launching an online sharing platform for construction equipment rental companies, which allows potential users seeking to rent construction equipment on short term basis to quickly find and contract rental companies on market price.
- Advised Starlink (SpaceX) in launching their services in Latvia and regularly assisting the client with various telecommunications matters and reporting duties.
As part of a global firm operating in the Baltics, Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns is well-placed to assist in cross border IP, IT and Telecoms matters. The team has a particular specialism in trademark and copyright disputes, regularly offering representation to clients engaged in both civil and criminal proceedings for infringements. Agris Bitāns has more than 25 years of experience practicing IP law and works on disputes regarding unfair competition and protection of confidential information, as well as copyright and trademark matters. Elina Mucina advises on data protection and personal data agreements, with a client roster which includes major multinational tech and internet companies.
Other key lawyers:
Elina Mucina; Beatrise Bitāne; Dmitrijs Ņemirovskis
‘Great communication and professionalism. Very good quality of services provided.’
‘Dmitrijs Ņemirovskis, who we work with is a great professional. Very pedant and responsible worker.’
Roche Latvija, SIA
UADBB “Aon Baltic” Latvijas filiāle
- Advising Assistentis in relation to a software copyright infringement dispute and unfair commercial practice, successfully representing the client in the civil proceedings.
- Assisted parliament working group on the initial draft law on Secondary Use of Health and Social Data.
- Represented Gartens in a dispute against a competitor regarding trademark infringement as a result of usage of a similar unregistered trademark.
Sorainen‘s intellectual property and technology and media teams represent clients in an array of sectors including broadcasting, music, e-commerce and pharmaceuticals. Ieva Andersone offers support on intellectual property rights protection and enforcement strategies in case infringements should occur. Senior associate Linda Reneslāce provides telecoms and gaming regulatory advice, as well as assisting with data protection and cybersecurity matters. Her practice also involves legal oversight for M&A in the telecoms sector and IT public procurements. Co-head of the dispute resolution team, Andris Tauriņš leads on many media related disputes and is another key name to note.
Ieva Andersone; Andris Tauriņš; Linda Reneslāce
Other key lawyers:
Jūlija Terjuhana; Katrīne Pļaviņa-Mika
‘Efficient, knowledgeable, professional, and friendly. Simply a great local partner to help guide us in the Baltic markets.’
‘The team was supportive and fully involved in the issue. Paid large attention into details. Knowledgeable in the tech legal sector.’
‘Talented, professional and helpful individuals that together, as a team, provide us with the help we need given our operations across the Baltic markets.’
‘Straight-forward personalities with ability to self-manage. Very friendly communication approach.’
TV Play Baltics (TV3 Group company in Latvia)
All Media Latvia (TV3 Group company in Latvia)
Universal Music Group
Biedrība Papardes Zieds (non-governmental-organisation)
Astra Zeneca Latvija
Latvijas zāļu verifikācijas organizācija
- Advised an independent management organisation (IME) Soundreef S.p.A. on collective management law requirements with regard to IME operations.
- Representing Primekss, a concrete technology company, in a composite concrete flooring-related patent dispute where Primekss has sued construction companies for its patent misuse.
- Represented Universal Music Group, in negotiating a recording agreement with the X Factor Latvia 2021 competition finalists.
TGS Baltic acts for a diverse range of clients in sectors from the automotive industry through to sports. The firm assists with EU trademark registration and also has significant strength in data security matters, including emergency data breach response. Sandis Petrovičs and Arina Stivriņa co-head the technology and data protection practice group at the firm with the latter recommended by clients as she ‘understands the technological processes‘. Andra Rubene is a corporate and M&A lawyer with a TMT specialism who heads the IP and telecoms practice, providing advice on data privacy and complex cybersecurity matters. Associates Alīna Lepere and Zane Skļamina have strong track records in trademark disputes and support on many of the firm’s key matters.
Andra Rubene; Sandis Petrovičs; Arina Stivriņa
Other key lawyers:
Alina Lepere; Ilga Vaļko; Zane Skļamina
‘The team actively participates and self-represents in local and pan-Baltic data protection and startup events. We recommend this team for its startup-friendly prices and technical (besides legal) expertise.’
‘TGS lawyers actively promote their professional image online by posting about their participation in various industry events and also about promotions at the firm. This provides good visibility and makes me think of them even when I am offline. I believe that it is also beneficial for the lawyers in the firm that the employer recognizes their efforts and familiarises the public with their activities.’
‘Arina Strivrina has additional training in IT law and an understanding of information security issues, which for me is a sign that she understands the technological processes when working with privacy matters and IT sector-related matters. Such an education for legal professionals is still not very common in the Latvian legal market.’
CCC Riga Digital Services SIA
Meta Platforms Ireland Limited
Whatsapp Ireland Limited
Smartlinks Airlines SIA
Hokeja akadēmija SIA / Latvijas Hokeja Federācija
Havi Logistics SIA
Marketing Angels SIA
DPD Latvija SIA
Inchcape Motors Latvia SIA
Civinity LV SIA & Civinity group companies
CityBee Latvija SIA
SKW Schwarz acting on behalf of BMW AG
Europark Latvia SIA
Paul Mason Properties SIA
Philip Morris Latvia SIA
Boehringer Ingelheim RCV GmbH & Co KG
Graanul Pellets SIA
Inchcape Motors Finland Oy / Inchcape Motors Finland acting on behalf of Jaguar Land Rover
“Rīgas mikroautobusu satiksme”
Centrs Dardedze NGO
Unagi Media SIA
Guided Thinking SIA
- Advised SmartLynx on the preparation and filing of two EU trademarks, “GiGi Air” and “GiGi Airlines”, as well as representing the client for the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) registration process.
- Provided legal assistance to Meta Platforms Ireland Limited as a prospective subject of the ePrivacy directive.
Agency Tria Robit is a specialist IP firm which provides representation for world-famous multinational brands engaged in trademark disputes and registration impasses in Latvia, including the likes of Apple and Hugo Boss. Practice head Natalija Anohina specialises in IP dispute resolution and mediation, and also has extensive knowledge of the mechanics of cross-border IP matters in former Soviet Union countries. Highly experienced in brand protection and trademark infringement cases, both Vladimir Anohin and Bronislavs Baltrumovics are likewise integral members of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Vladimir Anohin; Bronislavs Baltrumovics; Inese Polaka; Sabine Udre
Swiss Pharma International AG
The Gillette Company
Hyundai Motor Company
Henkel AG & CO. KGAA
Philip Morris branches
adidas International Marketing B.V.
Soremartec S.A. – Ferrero Group
Shell International Limited
Toyota Motor Corporation
HUGO BOSS Trade Mark Management GmbH & Co. KG
Eli Lilly and Company
- Advised ‘Hasana Kebabs’ on the best course of action against the trademark registration filed in bad faith.
- Assisted Hugo Boss to fight against trademark ‘Bossa Nova’ in that way preventing the trademark (brand) ‘Boss’ from dilution.
- Helped STADA Arzneimittel AG to overcome provisional refusal in Latvia based on lack of distinctive character regarding international registration of position trademark ‘red corner’.
Described as a ‘one-stop shop‘, Petersona Patents specialises in IP law and frequently provides representation for clients defending and enforcing their trademark and design rights. Gatis Meržvinskis handles oppositions, appeals and enforcement claims, representing clients before the Latvian Patents Office and European Union Intellectual Property Organization (EUIPO). Senior associate Kristina Vilkina specialises in trademark and design prosecutions. The firm’s close ties with the offices of AAA Law in Lithuania and Estonia, allows the practice to provide a service encompassing all three of the Baltic States.
Gatis Merzvinskis; Kristine Vilkina
‘This team is one of the strongest in Latvia for IP enforcement and prosecution matters. The team is exceptional due to its combination of legal and technical expertise. This ensures that the IP matter is reviewed and evaluated and the solution is provided from both legal and technical standpoints. Also, the different experience and specialisations of team members provides the client with a “one-stop shop”.’
‘Managing partner Gatis Merzvinskis has a versatile and extensive practice in IP litigation and contracts, specialising in IP litigation for more than 20 years. He is always ready to provide clients with high value advice within extremely short periods.’
‘Many high-level specialists who can support each other and thereby have established a strong team in IP sector.’
AS Latvijas Finieris
AS Dobeles Dzirnavnieks
Orkla Latvija, SIA
AS Citadele Banka
British American Tobacco plc
- Representing AS Dobeles Dzirnavnieks in protection and enforcement of rights against market competitors.
- Acting to enforce trademark and design rights of LEGO in litigation concerning detention of goods by customs authorities.
VILGERTS represents clients before the Latvian Patent Office and the EUIPO in registration, opposition and appeal procedure. Highly experienced IP and trademark litigator Ineta Krodere leads the practice jointly with Brigita Tērauda, who aids clients to develop IP protection strategies and obtain registration, as well as providing representation in trademark disputes. The firm has the capability to assist clients in disputes involving parallel court cases and multiple causes of infringement action.
Brigita Tērauda; Ineta Krodere
Other key lawyers:
Rīgas| |Piena| |Kombināts| (Food Union group)
Air Baltic Corporation
Latvian National Opera
Angel Glass Design
- Advised Food Union (Rīgas Piena Kombināts) in a trademark dispute concerning the registration of a colour per se trademark.
- Advising Air Baltic Corporation AS in a dispute concerning infringement of the client’s trademark.
- Advising the TV Channel MULTILANDIA in litigation with several parallel court cases concerning trademark and copyright infringements, trademark invalidation and revocation.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Cukste Levin provides drafting and advisory services on employee data protection agreements and computing regulation compliance for major multinational internet and telecoms companies, as well as pan-Baltic companies in several different industries. Vineta Čukste–Jurjeva and the versatile Valters Kronbergs lead on most matters, including providing regulatory advice to Microsoft. Kristine Sakarne arrived from WALLESS in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Valters Kronsbergs; Vineta Cukste-Jurjeva
TET (ex Lattelecom)
Marquee Wireless Inc.
Sun Finance Group
BT Latvia Limited
The Public Utilities Regulator
Fontes Executive Search and Fontes Vadības konsultācijas
Under the leadership of Sergei Petrov, NJORD Law Firm provides representation for major multinational e-commerce and telecoms companies, including Whatsapp and Amazon on trademark infringement and database protection claims. The firm also assists clients in obtaining trademark registration and pursuing criminal investigations into IP infringement. Senior Associate Anna Kosinska assists in the practice, and is recommended for her ‘remarkable drafting and analytical skills’.
Other key lawyers:
‘You can be sure that any significant and sometimes even less significant assignments are performed by senior staff with extensive proven experience – something you can rarely expect in more prominent firms. At the same time, the hourly rates and the bills are smaller.’
‘Sergei Petrov is highly experienced and an excellent negotiator. Anna Kosinska is a very experienced litigator with remarkable analytical and drafting skills.’
‘The team, led by partner Sergei Petrov, assisted us several times in the last year, supporting a major U.S. based metaverse provider in relation to requests for subscriber information from the Latvian police and courts.’
‘Senior associate Anna Kosinska was able to readily answer all the client’s questions concerning reactions to requests for subscriber information from the Latvian police and courts. Anna also proactively informed the client of new relevant legislation on the horizon in Latvia.’
‘The team advises on IT law and data protection topics very well. They have very good and practical advice and the specifics of the client’s business model are well taken into account. Their speed is significant and the administrative processes are convenient and smooth.’
‘Mr. Sergei Petrov is an excellent cooperation partner. He is always available and there is no question that does not have a great solution.’
Vide Infra Group
Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Aktiengesellschaft
- Secured victory for AbeBooks Inc. in the court of the first instance in a claim regarding the protection of database rights.
- Advised Amazon in relation to the strength of and process for an opposition/infringement claim. Conducted trademark investigation to ascertain (1) the extent of the applicant’s activities (particularly in the home automated devices space), (2) its use of the trademark in Latvia.
- Represented Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Aktiengesellschaft in administrative procedure where the owner of the cargo has opposed the destruction of infringing goods.