Cobalt has a broad offering across IP and IT, particularly in the life sciences sector, with Big Pharma clients such as Pfizer, Novartis and Biogen. The team also acted in one of the biggest copyright cases in Latvia, advising Latvian Television in a dispute with All Media Latvia which hinged upon a breakfast TV show format. Indriķis Liepa is a key name in the team with broad capabilities across IP, IT and regulatory issues. Senior associate Līga Fjodorova has a more distinct focus on IP matters, specifically in relation to patents, trade marks and designs. Fellow senior associate Linda Bīriņa specialises in data protection, IT and media matters. Former practice head Ingrīda Kariņa–Bērziņa left the firm in July 2020 and is currently a lecturer.
IP, IT and telecoms in Latvia
Indriķis Liepa; Līga Fjodorova; Linda Bīriņa
‘Professional, time efficient.’
Andreas Stihl AG & Co KG
Yeda Research & Development Company Ltd.
Chapter 4 Corp (Supreme)
Latvia MGI Tech SIA
- Representing internet recruitment company CV-Online in civil proceedings initiated by the client against an aggregator that infringed the client’s sui generis rights in a database.
- Advised Catchbox, an innovative Latvian-Finnish manufacturer of microphones, on its trade mark protection strategy in the US and Europe in connection with a brand update, and prepared and filed trade mark applications to the EUIPO and USPTO.
- Successfully represented Latvian Television in a unique copyright and competition dispute with All Media Latvia regarding a TV format.
With 'very strong legal expertise and strategic thinking', Ellex covers the spectrum of IP and IT work and is especially active in handing trade mark and patent disputes for international clients. The team also has a strong non-contentious offering in IP, and the IT group regularly advises on commercial contracts and regulatory compliance. Clients have singled out 'superb professionals' Mārtiņš Gailis, who heads the IP practice, Sarmis Spilbergs, who leads the IT team, and senior associate Edvijs Zandars, who assists Gailis with most matters. Managing partner Liga Merwin is another key name, particularly for IP and telecoms regulatory issues.
Mārtiņš Gailis; Sarmis Spilbergs
Other key lawyers:
Edvijs Zandars; Liga Merwin
‘Ellex’s lawyers have very strong legal expertise and strategic thinking. The IP team have a goal-oriented approach in their advice, and the team have shown a very good understanding of the context of what we have been trying to achieve.’
‘Martins Gailis, Edvijs Zandars and Sarmis Spilbergs are superb professionals with a very good sense of what we require legally and what is the most sensible approach to the issues raised.’
Sky International AG
Depozītu Iepakojuma Operators
Vinted UAB and Vinted Limited
Amber Beverage Group
Lux International AG
NATO Stratcom COE
- Represented Amber Beverage Group as the applicant in opposition proceedings initiated by Consorzio Vino Chianti Classico.
- Representing Lux International AG in litigation against a rogue trader and his numerous companies.
- Assisted World Chess, a web platform, in setting up the platform.
Sorainen has been a player in several high-stakes patent and trade mark disputes, as well as handling additional advisory work covering IP, IT and telecoms. For example, practice co-head Ieva Andersone recently acted for pharmaceutical giant Sandoz in a recent patent infringement case. She is also experienced in complementary areas such as competition law and regulatory compliance. Andersone's fellow practice head Andris Tauriņš has also acted in patent litigation and in domain name disputes. He leads the TMT side of the practice, with data protection being a particular area of interest.
Ieva Andersone; Andris Tauriņš
SolidWorks Corporation & Dassault Systemes
CAST AI Baltic UAB
INTERNATIONAL ICE HOCKEY FEDERATION
Atlas Premium (Fish+Fish)
Hypnosis fashion (One Wolf)
Hilton Worldwide Holding LLP
- Defended the interests of racing organiser National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) in disputes over the registration of the NASCAR trade mark in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.
- Assisted Bitė Group, a leading telecoms company, in a refinancing transaction.
- Providing continuous assistance to various Dassault Systèmes group companies, often advising on the copyright infringement of their software.
TGS Baltic advises on leading deals and disputes across TMT and IP, most recently assisting Facebook with the launch of its new dating app. Andra Rubene advised on that particular matter and regularly assists companies with IP and technology clearance issues. She leads the team alongside 'very knowledgeable' associate Arina Stivriņa, who is an expert in data protection, and associate Zane Skļamina, who specialises in regulatory compliance. Associate and trade mark attorney Alīna Lepere is also recommended.
Andra Rubene; Zane Skļamina; Arina Stivriņa
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice is unique due to the team members and their capabilities. TGS Baltic has helped our company through many cases and their team members are the best they could choose from the legal market. That is how TGS Baltic also stands out from the crowd. They are professional and a team which is always available even when the others were not. They have never let down our company’s priorities and they always think one step ahead what we need.’
‘This practice group stands out with a huge confidence over the other law firms in Latvia, because I do not know any law firm which has such a good IP practice and which would focus exactly on that.’
‘We had a great opportunity to work closely with Arina Stivrina and her professionalism is top level. She was very knowledgeable about all the questions we had while cooperating, and she is always trying to find out and understand more of the matter by asking questions herself. She is always proactive in sharing her viewpoint and suggestions, and never refuses to explain more if something is not clear. Working with her was very easy and without any obstacles.’
Flux Design Products GmbH
TV Play Baltics AS
SIA Marsh (Subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies)
Facebook Dating Platform
SIA Overkill Ventures AIFP managing funds KS Overkill Ventures Fund I AIF and KS Overkill Ventures Fund II AIF
BRYAN CAVE LEIGHTON PAISNER LLP /Paysafe group
SIA Essity Latvia
UAB SCT Lubricants
SIA SMARTLYNX AIRLINES, part of Avia Solutions Group
- Advised Facebook Dating on launching a platform in Latvia.
- Representing SmartLynx Airlines in opposition proceedings initiated with respect to trade marks.
- Advised Flux Design Products with respect to the violation of its design, trade mark and copyright rights.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns has standout strengths in copyright disputes as well as in assisting international clients with data protection matters. Practice head and managing partner Agris Bitāns is best known as a litigator, but has additional expertise in licensing agreements. His recent caseload includes issues of software copyright infringement, trade mark oppositions and photography copyright use. Elīna Muciņa is the firm's 'go-to' practitioner for data protection matters, and is particularly skilled in advising on how data corresponds with employment law.
Other key lawyers:
Roche Latvija, SIA
AG Estate, AS
- Acting for Assistentis in relation to a software copyright infringement dispute and unfair commercial practice.
- Advising Roche on applicable personal data processing rules in relation to health data processing in Latvia.
- Assisted BalticTravelnews.com with a copyright infringement case, resulting in an amicable settlement.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Čukste Levin has been advising on highly technical issues such as open source software usage as well as the roll out of 5G. The team is also skilled in advising on software licensing agreements, where Microsoft is a key client. On the IP side, the group is experienced in both contentious and non-contentious matter, mainly involving trade mark and copyright law. Zane Veidemane Bērziņa leads the practice and has expertise across IP and IT, with additional skills in competition law.
Zane Veidemane Bērziņa
Other key lawyers:
Vineta Čukste-Jurjeva; Valters Kronbergs
Marquee Wireless Inc.
Sun Finance Group
BT Latvia Limited
The Public Utilities Regulator
Fontes Executive Search and Fontes Vadības konsultācijas
- Advising a multinational corporation that provides technology for electronic payment transactions on global compliance issues relating to open source software usage.
- Advising a leading American film, television and streaming association on the implementation of the Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market and the Satellite and Cable Directive in Latvia.
- Advising Marquee Wireless on 5G infrastructure implementation in Latvia.
A specialist IP firm, Agency Tria Robit has received instructions from household names such as Apple, Gillette and Adidas, among many others. The team's primary area of activity at present has been acting on oppositions, with expertise in cross-border issues in Eastern and Central Europe. Managing partner and trade mark attorney Natalija Anohina leads the team. She is supported by fellow trade mark attorneys Bronislavs Baltrumovics and Inese Polaka, as well as patent attorney Vladimir Anohin.
Other key lawyers:
Bronislavs Baltrumovics; Inese Polaka; Vladimir Anohin
Swiss Pharma International AG
The Gillette Company
Hyundai Motor Company
Henkel AG & CO. KGAA
Philip Morris branches
adidas International Marketing B.V.
Soremartec S.A. – Ferrero Group
Shell International Limited
Toyota Motor Corporation
- Advised Apple on an invalidation action before the civil court against national trade mark ‘Retina’, one of many filed by rights holder Grigorius Holdings.
- Advised Ferrari on filing an opposition against the registration of an international figurative trade mark.
- Advised Tommy Hilfiger in an opposition action against national trade mark ‘The Girl’.
NJORD Law Firm
Anti-counterfeiting work is a key element of NJORD Law Firm's IP, IT and telecoms practice, with the team receiving instructions from Tommy Hilfiger, Harley Davidson and Disney in this line of work. The practice is also highly skilled in trade mark prosecutions, oppositions and other areas of infringement. Sergei Petrov is the key name of note.
Other key lawyers:
‘You can be sure that any significant and sometimes even less significant assignments are performed by senior staff with extensive proven experience.’
Amazon Europe Core S. à r. l
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Vide Infra Group
Disney Enterprises Inc.
- Representing Ecolab Inc. in a dispute over the unlawful use of a trade mark belonging to the client.
- Secured a win for Amazon in trade mark opposition proceedings against Azon Market.
- Representing Tommy Hilfiger in a number of anti-counterfeiting cases.
Specialist IP firm Petersona Patents is currently highly active in trade mark disputes, with a client roster containing major brand owners such as Chanel, Mars and Daimler. Managing partner Gatis Meržvinskis heads the team and is well versed in oppositions, appeals and infringement matters. He has appeared in cases before the Latvian Patent Office, WIPO and EUIPO.
Other key lawyers:
Inter IKEA Systems BV
British American Tobacco
Bacardi & Company Ltd.
POLMOS ZYRARDOW SPOLKA Z OGRANICZONA OPOWIEDZIALNOSCIA
- Acted for Jaxid GmbH in a court case alleging abuse of the trade mark registration process and invalidating a bad faith trade mark.
- Defended Orkla Latvija’s trade mark registration in an opposition initiated by a large foreign multinational confectionery conglomerate.
- Obtained the confiscation of decoded Grey Goose branded goods for its parent company Bacardi.
VILGERTS has strengths in soft and hard IP matters, particularly in relation to registrations and infringements. Brigita Tērauda leads the practice and has acted for clients before the Industrial Property Board of Appeal of Latvia and the EUIPO. Ineta Krodere is also a respected litigator, having acted for clients in the pharmaceuticals, consumer and cosmetics industries.