Indriķis Liepa leads the team at Cobalt, which has a first-rate reputation for IP, IT and regulatory work. On the IP side, the firm attracts a mix of contentious and non-contentious mandates in relation to patents, trade marks and designs. It acts for clients in sectors such as publishing, banking, fashion and pharmaceuticals, among may others. Liepa works with litigator Ugis Zeltins, who excels in advising on trade mark oppositions and anti-counterfeiting measures. Senior associates Līga Fjodorova and Linda Birina are also recommended. Ingrida Karina-Berzina is now a lecturer.
IP, IT and telecoms in Latvia
‘Liga and Ugis handled/are handling those cases very professionally. I particularly appreciate their responsiveness, reliability and competence.’
‘They are equally taking care of all requests in an uncomplicated way and are able of talking in the “client’s language”. There’s no need to run after deadlines or worry about anything as a client, which is extremely valuable.’
Andreas Stihl AG & Co KG
- Advised several clients in trade mark disputes against Grigorius Holdings, considered to be linked with Michael Gleissner, who has established a global network of shell companies, the main activity of which is the bad faith trademarks registration in different jurisdictions.
- Advised CV-Online as a claimant against an aggregator that infringed client’s sui generis rights in the database.
- Advised Pfizer in relation to merger of its off-patent branded and generic established medicines business (Upjohn) with Mylan NV and formation of a new joint venture Viatris Inc.
Ellex has a particular strength in handling IP disputes and regularly represents clients in proceedings before the local courts and the EUIPO. The practice is led by Mārtiņš Gailis, who has recently assisted Sky International with several trade mark oppositions. The firm also has a strong reputation in the IT and telecoms arena, largely due to the expertise of Sarmis Spilbergs who is an expert in data protection, e-commerce, IT and licensing matters. Līga Merwin, who has experience in trade mark and telecoms law, is another key name. Associate Edvijs Zandars is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Līga Merwin; Edvijs Zandars
‘Professional and solution-oriented attitude, easy and fast communication.’
‘Agile way of working by digging into details in specific client’s business. Honest evaluation on possible scenarios and tactics.’
‘I appreciated that a small but focused team was applied to the matter for which the firm was engaged, and that all work was performed with great efficiency.’
‘I worked specifically with Martins Gallis as partner assisted by Edvijs Zandars as associate and I found them to be an incredibly efficient team.’
‘While communication was mainly with Sarmis Spilbergs, it felt that there is very strong, united and knowledgeable team behind him, allowing to provide immediate solutions to a very wide scope of legal issues.’
‘Sarmis Spilbergs has always showed his in-depth knowledge in all legal matters concerned. He has outstanding communication skills and an admirable ability to immediately identify all significant layers of the case.’
Sky International AG
Riga City Municipality
Amber Beverage Group
Latvian Audio-visual Association
Lux International AG
Depozīta Iepakojuma Operators
National Hockey League
Paul Mason (IKEA franchisee)
NATO Stratcom COE
Public Utilities Commission
- Represented Amber Beverage Group as applicant in opposition proceedings at EUIPO initiated by the opposing party Consorzio Vino Chianti Classico.
- Advised the Public Utilities Commission on telecommunications and competition-related aspects concerning radio frequency spectrum sharing intended by two major telecommunications operators in Latvia – Bite and Tele2.
- Advised Lux International AG in court proceedings against a grey marketer group that sometimes presented itself as an official representative of Lux.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns' IP and data protection team, which is led by Agris Bitāns, has a strong pedigree for representing clients in IP disputes. Its work spans trade marks, patents and copyright. Also notable is that the firm is increasingly seen in matters involving the hi-tech, biotech and new media industries. Elsewhere, clients also turn to the firm for advice on IT disputes, such as those concerning computer software (and copyright protected code used to compose such programmes), and also for assistance with GDPR issues. Elina Mucina is another key name in the group.
Other key lawyers:
BRAIN GAMES, SIA
Rīgas Namu pārvaldnieks, SIA
Roche Latvija, SIA
UADBB “AON BALTIC” LATVIJAS FILIĀLE
- Advising Assistentis in relation to a software copyright infringement dispute and unfair commercial practice, successfully representing the client in the civil proceedings.
- Advising Roche Latvija on the legislative process and the drafting of a new law on secondary use of health and social data.
- Advised Gartens in a dispute against a competitor regarding trademark infringement as result of usage of confusingly similar unregistered trademark by competitor.
Sorainen acts for clients in a wide array of industries, such as TMT, life sciences, industrials, consumer goods and transport. Clients instruct the firm for advice on patents, trade marks, domain names, copyright, IP transfers and trade secrets, among other areas. Team head Ieva Andersone has additional expertise in consumer protection, competition and data protection. Andris Tauriņš is another key individual.
Other key lawyers:
‘We noticed high business standards, professional communication skills and timing, ready to use remote technologies and use value of international team. The responsible personnel have been very professional, efficient and ready to find the best solutions using their experience.’
‘Sorainen law firm has provided valuable advice and represented us in an important and sensitive IP matter with great expertise and knowledge. The legal help was useful and thorough and their service helped our company reach our initial goals and even more. It was impressive to have replies and assistance immediately upon request and their readiness was very useful and important during our work together.’
‘I would highly recommend the services of Sorainen Law Firm for anyone. They were constantly available for us and ready to provide very specific legal help and also advise us on particular matters and issues that have been relevant to the very territory of Latvia.’
Astro Music SIA
NTT DATA INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT CONSULTING, Inc
SolidWorks Corporation & Dassault Systemes
- Assisted Visma Enterprise with opposing a European Union trademark registration before the European Union Intellectual Property Office.
- Provided legal assistance regarding oppositions filed against EU trademark registrationsof PayPugs , a growing fintech company.
- Provided legal assistance for a well-known Latvian music band Astro’n’out in handling the intellectual property matters involving the use of their song within the IIHF Ice Hockey WorldChampionship 2021.
TGS Baltic acts for clients on matters such as the negotiation and execution of R&D agreements, the establishment of R&D valleys and the long-term enforcement of IP protection. Its team has expertise in trade marks, patents, copyright and industrial designs. Illustrative of the firm's strong profile among high-profile clients, it acts for Philip Morris Latvia. Elsewhere, it generates mandates from clients in industries such as sport, technology, biotechnology and broadcasting. Trade mark work is a key area of focus, particularly in relation to infringement and opposition cases. Andra Rubene and Sandis Petrovičs co-head the group, which also includes associates Zane Skļamina and Alīna Lepere.
Other key lawyers:
Zane Skļamina; Alīna Lepere
‘TGS Baltic’s team has delivered fast and excellent solutions in order to help our business needs. We have partnered with them for quite a few projects and in different fields, their experts are very intelligent.’
SIA SMARTLYNX AIRLINES
Philip Morris Latvia SIA
Inchape Motors Latvia SIA
Nordic Entertainment Group
Galio Development SIA
Rawood export SIA
- Provided SmartLynx with actual information regarding number of SmartLynx trademarks for creation of SmartLynx brand portfolio.
- Advised Koldaria Commercial Ltd on opposition procedures initiated by Orange in relation to the BlueOrange trade mark.
- Advised Philip Morris on interim measures in patent cases.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Cukste Levin is highly skilled in software licensing, data protection and IP disputes. Team head Zane Veidemane-Bērziņa focuses on IT agreements and domain name protection. Corporate and commercial partners Valters Kronbergs and Vineta Čukste–Jurjeva also undertake advisory work in relation to IP and IT.
Marquee Wireless Inc.
Sun Finance Group
The Public Utilities Regulator
Fontes Executive Search and Fontes Vadības konsultācijas
- Advised a multinational company based in the USA that provides technology for electronic payment transactions regarding open source software licensing matters.
- Represented an association of the world’s most prominent audio visual sector players in relation to the implementation of DSM Copyright Directive and SatCab Directive in Latvia.
- Advised one of the major banks in Latvia regarding conclusion of significant software development and licensing agreements.
Agency Tria Robit, which has a strong international reputation, has acted for clients on IP matters for over 30 years. Its work covers trade marks, patents, designs, copyrights and domain names. Clients turn to the firm for advice on the prosecution of national and international trade mark registrations, EUTM, provisional refusals and oppositions, as well as trade mark registration renewals. Reflective of the firm's standing in the market, it generates mandates from clients such as Apple, Gillette and Hugo Boss. Natalija Anohina heads up the team, which also includes Vladimir Anohin, Bronislavs Baltrumovics and Inese Polaka.
Swiss Pharma International AG
The Gillette Company
Hyundai Motor Company
Henkel AG & CO. KGAA
adidas International Marketing B.V.
Soremartec S.A. – Ferrero Group
Shell International Limited
Toyota Motor Corporation
Eli Lilly and Company
HUGO BOSS Trade Mark Management GmbH & Co. KG
- Filed an opposition for Hugo Boss against the registration of international trade mark ‘Bossa’ in Latvia for use on goods.
- Filed an opposition for Gilmar against the national trade mark ‘RED ICEBERG’ for use on goods.
- Filed an opposition for Polyglass against the national trade mark registration ‘POLYBOND Soil Stabilizer’.
VILGERTS' experienced team is well-equipped to handle both contentious and non-contentious IP matters, with additional strengths in advising on data protection. Brigita Tērauda primarily focuses on trade mark and copyright law. She jointly leads the group with Katrine Plavina, who specialises in data protection and recently defended a client against the imposition of a fine in a GDPR-related matter. Ineta Krodere, who is a highly experienced IP litigator, is another name to note.
‘Team was knowledgeable in the IP field. The response times were great, ideas and knowledge provided was appropriate and provided in the best manner. The bills submitted were clearly understandable. The ideas provided by the office ensured the success of the case.’
‘They were not afraid of our case, although the matter was not so clear. In the end, they managed to find the best possible solution.’
‘Easy to work with, transparent billing.’
‘Brigita Tērauda has amazing skill to work on complicated cases with such ease that the client can feel assured that case will be handled well.’
Air Baltic Corporation
Latvian National Opera
Angel Glass Design
ERGO Insurance SE Latvijas
Biļešu Paradīze Grupp
- Represented Food Union (Rīgas Piena Kombināts) in a unique trademark dispute concerning the registration of a colour per se trademark.
- Represented Balcia Insurance in complex trademark opposition proceedings before the European Union Intellectual Property Office.
- Represented Lursoft before the Latvian State Data Inspectorate and subsequently in courts to overturn the biggest GDPR fine imposed in Latvia.
NJORD Law Firm advises on trade marks, designs, domain names and copyright matters, and its excellent reputation sees it acts for clients such as Tommy Hilfiger and Disney Enterprises. Sergei Petrov, who chairs the group, has been advising on trade mark oppositions, cancellations and registrations, as well as anti counterfeiting measures. He is also known to handle IT work.
‘You can be sure that any significant and sometimes even less significant assignments are performed by senior staff with extensive proven experience.’
‘I know that they invest their time into contract automation. We are using an automated employment agreement which really saves our time.’
‘Sergei Petrov – Highly experienced. Great negotiator.’
GUSTOPHARMA Consumer Health, S.L.
Vide Infra Group
Disney Enterprises Inc.
- Assisted ECOLAB with the provisional refusal of subsequent designation of international trade mark registration to Latvia.
- Secured a win for AbeBooks Inc. in the court of the first instance in one of the very few claims in Latvia regarding protection of database rights.
- Represented Disney in a customs dispute with the owner of seized goods.