Al Markaz Law Firm’s notable strengths include disputes relating to financial services, energy, infrastructure, capital markets, franchising, construction and M&A. Founding partner Fawwaz Al Saeed is the former president of the Kuwait Bar Association and focuses on corporate, commercial and regulatory cases. Corporate litigation practice head Qutaiba Al Saeed represents clients before the Courts of First Instance and the Courts of Appeal in cases relating to corporate governance, employment and pension laws, capital markets and white-collar criminal matters. Senior associate Zafar Iqbal is experienced in infrastructure, oil and gas, and corporate disputes.
Dispute resolution in Kuwait
Al Markaz Law Firm
Ayman Nada; Fawwaz Alsaeed
Other key lawyers:
Qutaiba Al Saeed; Zafar Iqbal
Founding partner Adel Abdulhadi is the lead figure in the dispute resolution team at Al Oula Law Firm (Adel Abdulhadi & Partners), specialising in civil, commercial, criminal, constitutional and real estate cases. The firm continues to grow its white-collar crime defence practice, often representing high-profile political and entertainment figures. Human rights cases and matters of national security are also its key areas of strength. Counsel Mohammad Shaaban assists Abdulhadi in criminal cases.
Other key lawyers:
- Defending a public figure in a high-profile case relating to allegations of misuse of public funds.
- Filing a direct challenge to the constitutionality of article 148 of Civil and Commercial Procedure Law.
- Defending a client in the automotive industry against several claims brought by customers to the Ministry of Commerce and Industry for commercial fraud, and criminal claims before the Public Prosecution, including money-laundering allegations.
ASAR - Al Ruwayeh & Partners’ disputes practice represents clients in banking, construction, insurance, property, taxation and employment cases. It also has niche experience in advising on military supply contract disputes and construction claims in the oil sector. The 'pre-eminent’ Ahmed Barakat specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration and is assisted by Ahmed Zakaria and Hisham Al Qura’an, who also have a varied litigation practice.
Other key lawyers:
Ahmed Zakaria; Hisham Al Qura’an
‘Full knowledge of the law of Kuwait and practical, commercially minded solutions. Responsive.’
‘Ahmed Barakat is a dean of the Kuwait bar. He knows Kuwaiti law and practice inside and out.’
‘Great support with aligning on a litigation strategy and executing it before the local courts. Communication throughout the process was outstanding.’
‘Deep expertise and experience across a range of industries and sectors in Kuwait.’
‘Unparalleled knowledge and experience. Ahmed Barakat is pre-eminent.’
Zulficar & Partners
Ernst & Young Middle East
Baker Botts L.L.P.
Clyde & Co
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP
M. H. Al Shaya Co. WLL
PWC Middle East
Covington & Burling
R+V Versicherung AG
HSBC Middle East
ACCIONA Cultural Engineering
Abdullah Kh. Al-Ayoub, the founding partner at Abdullah Kh. Al-Ayoub & Associates, handles civil, commercial and corporate litigation and international arbitration. Waleed Al-Ayoub is another name to note for contractual disputes and those involving financial services.
Abdullah Kh. Al-Ayoub
Other key lawyers:
‘Solid knowledge of local laws and litigation strategies. Also experienced in working with foreign companies, who are unfamiliar with local legislation, and very good at explaining local practices in a clear and concise manner. Hands-on and pragmatic approach.’
Al-Yaqout & Al-Fouzan Legal Group (YFLG) managing partner Khalifah Al Yaqout has a solid track record in commercial litigation, arbitration in Kuwait and throughout the Middle East, and out-of-court settlements. Abdelrazzaq Al Rozouqi is also experienced in commercial arbitration and litigation and frequently appears before the Constitutional Court and the Court of Cassation.
Abdulrazzaq Al Rozouqi; Khalifa Al Yaqout
‘Al-Yaqout Group are experienced litigators and they follow up with progress reports, which is very useful in helping us move forward. They find innovative and creative ways to succeed in the courtroom.’
Applied Behaviour Center
- Successfully acted on behalf of Warba Bank in the dispute against the Ministry of Public Works over the enforcement of an assignment of rights for KWD 1.1m.
- Successfully acted on behalf of Saleh Al Abdali Sons General Trading Co and Mohammed Saleh Al Abdali in a claim against GFH Global Co with regards to the nullification of the subscription agreement for a real estate investment portfolio based in Germany for a total value of KWD 2.5m.
- Successfully represented Warba Bank as the plaintiff in a dispute with Wawan Protein Co. and Adel Al Shammary over unpaid facilities amounting to KWD 1.5m.
HFW in association with Attorney Rula Dajani
The only international law firm operating in Kuwait, HFW in association with Attorney Rula Dajani's local office is led by Rula Dajani, a distinguished partner with over 20 years’ experience. The disputes practice houses advocates with rights of audience before all levels of the Kuwaiti courts, and specialists in aviation, construction, energy, shipping and insurance cases. UAE-based Yaman Al-Hawamdeh is the lead partner for shipping litigation, and James Plant, who is based in Dubai and Kuwait, acts for international EPC contractors in disputes relating to oil and gas, infrastructure, renewable energy, sub-sea cable and airport projects.
Yaman Al Hawamdeh; James Plant
Other key lawyers:
Kuwait Oil Company
GS Engineering and Construction
Technip E&C Limited
- Acted for Technip E&C Limited in an appeal against the decision of the Central Agency for Public Tenders (CAPT) to eliminate the client from the Mumarasa (tendering process) for a major project.
- Acting for a Korean EPC contractor in a multibillion-dollar dispute with two Middle Eastern oil companies relating to a delayed oil production project.
- Acting for a joint venture of Korean EPC contractors in a $500m dispute relating to the construction of an LNG facility in Kuwait.
Meshari Al Osaimi Attorneys and Legal Consultants represents both plaintiffs and defendants in commercial and securities regulation disputes, and international cases. It also undertakes significant mandates involving bankruptcy, M&A, employment, and tax, as well as inheritance and succession issues. Hussain Al Ghareeb, Mohammed Al Osaimi and Ali Al Attar are the key partners for administrative, company law and securities disputes. Hassan Al Mousawi is recommended for banking and insurance cases. Saad Al Asfoor and Mohammad Al Juaan also routinely represent oil companies, corporations, government-related entities and financial institutions.
Hassan Al Mousawi; Ali Al Attar; Hussein Al Ghareeb; Mohammed Al Osaimi; Saad Al Asfoor; Mohammad Al Juaan
‘The team is organised and well managed, especially with regard to timing, preparing and taking care of all the details of the case. I was so impressed with the team and how they managed to get the case resolved in a very short time.’
‘The individuals are well prepared and they are always doing research before going further with the case. They are also well organised and disciplined when it comes to deadlines.’
‘Strong in litigation, with great technical ability, strategic presentation and knowledge of various areas of the law. All presented in a timely manner, demonstrating a great sense of flexibility without any compromises on the efficiency and the quality of work.’
‘Mohammad Al Juaan, Ali Al Attar and Hussain Al Ghareeb are highly qualified, attentive, composed, honourable and well-mannered attorneys, with strong foresight. They are swift and responsive, and possess great communication skills, great knowledge and experience in the matters presented to them.’
‘What makes Meshari Al Osaimi’s practice unique is the fact that the team have diverse expertise, as well as the specialised administrative team that makes their work accurate and fast in terms of legal opinions.’
‘Hussein Al Ghareeb has great experience in all legal issues in the state of Kuwait, especially in legal matters related to the economy, company law and securities.’
‘Ali Al Attar has experience in advising on local laws in Kuwait, whether economic or otherwise.’
‘Mohammed Al Osaimi has a great experience in the field of securities and international law.’
Health Assurance Hospitals Company (“Dhaman”)
- Represented Health Assurance Hospitals Company (Dhaman) in a KWD 29.9m claim against one of its defaulting shareholders.
- Represented a group of 163 victims in a KWD 73m-plus multi-jurisdictional money laundering and real estate fraud case extending to the US, the UAE, and the UK.
Meysan Partners displays strong capabilities in handling disputes involving the financial services, transport, telecoms and consumer goods sectors, many with significant cross-border aspects. Waleed Al Tattan leads a sizeable group of lawyers, many of whom joined the firm following its acquisition of Arkan Legal Consultants Group in January 2022. Recognised for his breath of expertise, Al Tattan has represented global clients such as Ford and Hyundai and retains a significant focus on commercial and financial, franchise, professional negligence and product liability disputes. International arbitration expert Ahmed Awni, Fayez Alfadhli and Abdul Aziz Al-Bisher are the go-to contacts for commercial, real estate and capital markets cases. Senior counsel Mohammed Badr Abdulwahed acts in contract, employment, commercial and financial litigation.
Waleed Al Tattan; Fayez Alfadhli; Ahmed Awni; Abdul Aziz Al-Bisher
Other key lawyers:
Mohammed Badr Abdulwahed
Boodai Enterprises Company
Mobile Telecommunication Company (Zain)
National Energy Company
- Representing regional telecoms company Zain, as co-counsel, in a $500m-plus dispute with the Ministry of Finance of Iraq.
With a practice spanning banking and finance, capital markets, and corporate and commercial disputes, Khalid Alkhateeb and Fawaz Alkhateeb at Taher Group Law Firm (TAG) represent a diverse range of individuals and corporates before the courts of all levels in Kuwait and throughout the region.
Fawaz Alkhateeb; Khalid Alkhateeb
- Represented a client in a trust dispute.
- Represented a contractor client in a claim for breach of contract and non-payment against a prominent banking institution.