Commercial, corporate and M&A in Kenya
Anjarwalla & Khanna has achieved further traction in building a regional practice and frequently advises international investors on transactions involving East Africa. The large team has made a particular impression in private equity deals and is even engaged on deals that have no nexus with Kenya. Karim Anjarwalla has an exceptional reputation for corporate work, while Roddy McKean and Dominic Rebelo are also highly rated. Rosa Nduati-Mutero is another emerging name and Daniel Ngumy leads on the tax front. Anne Kiunuhe is a key name for telecoms M&A.
‘Incredibly switched on team, engaging, commercial and always available.‘
‘Karim Anjarwalla was by far one of the best legal professionals I have worked with in the industry.’
Bharti Airtel International
Helios Investment Partners
AfricInvest Capital Partners
Amethis Fund II
- Advised Bharti Airtel International (Netherlands), as the lead Africa legal adviser, on a $1.25bn investment in the newly formed Airtel Africa by investors, including Warburg Pincus, Softbank, Temasek and Singtel.
- Assisted Equity Group with its acquisition of a 62% share in Banque Populaire du Rwanda and a 100% share in African Banking Corporation in Zambia, Tanzania and Mozambique, from Atlas Mara.
- Acted for Helios Investment Partners and Telkom Kenya on the merger between Airtel Networks Kenya and Telkom Kenya, the second and third largest mobile telecoms operators in Kenya.
Bowmans handles a high market share of big-ticket deals involving Kenya and the East Africa region. It is also at the forefront of private equity investments. Corporate restructurings are another forte for the team. It also benefits from the firm's wider African network, including strong teams in neighbouring Tanzania and Uganda. Paras Shah is highly rated, as are Richard Harney and Philip Coulson, while Joyce Karanja-Ng’ang’a is a leader in competition law. Vruti Shah and Kendall Evans are emerging talents.
Joyce Karanja-Ng’ang’a; Paras Shah
‘Knowledgeable and proactive, quick responses and turn around times.‘
‘Paras Shah is a highly experienced and well respected lawyer. He is a diligent, hard-working individual and is an asset to have on your side when negotiating transactions.‘
‘Vruti Shah is an upcoming lawyer in mergers and acquisition arena with an eye for detail. She has deep knowledge of commercial law.‘
‘Kendall Evans is approachable, efficient, always available and has an ability to come up with solutions.‘
Commercial Bank of Africa
National Cement Company
AfricInvest Fund III
KCB Bank Kenya
- Advised Commercial Bank of Africa on its merger with NIC Group.
- Acted for Rubis Energie on its takeover offer for KenolKobil.
- Advised Plum on its $75m disposal of a 13.81% share in Britam Holdings to Swiss Re Direct Investments.
CMS Daly Inamdar Advocates is notably active in Kenya's headline and big-ticket transactions, particularly for financial services M&A. Key practitioners include Hamish Keith, Ashwini Bhandari and Shitul Shah. Its alliance with CMS provides additional international credibility.
- Advised the majority shareholders of KenolKobil on the proposed takeover of KenolKobil by Rubis.
- Assisted Bharti Airtel with the proposed merger of Airtel Kenya and Telkom Kenya.
- Acted for RMA Motors Kenya on the sale of its JaguarLandRover business in Kenya to Inchcape Group.
Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews
Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews is increasingly sought after by foreign clients and has made additional inroads in the competition and private equity fields. Andrew Mugambi has an outstanding record, while Richard Omwela and Daniel Muriu Wanjau provide further senior level gravitas.
Oikocredit Ecumenical Development Cooperative Society
- Advised Africa Power on the sale of minority shares in Gallant Power to Everstrong Power.
- Assisted Gems Africa with its acquisition of Hillcrest Investments.
Iseme, Kamau & Maema Advocates is a key name for cross-border M&A and private equity deals. It continues to leverage its position as part of DLA Piper Africa and has achieved some major engagements, including in financial services sector deals. James Kamau is highly rated, while David Lekerai and William Maema provide further senior level expertise.
David Lekerai; William Maema
Fanisi Capital Fund
- Advised NIC Group on its proposed merger with Commercial Bank of Africa.
- Assisted Cellulant with an investment by several investors led by The Rise Fun.
- Advised Ramco Plexus on its acquisition of a 90% stake in Panthera Publishers.
Walker Kontos Advocates has continued to grow in the M&A and private equity environment, notably in energy and financial services deals. Michael Kontos is at the forefront of the profession, while Deepen Shah and Peter Mwangi are also key names, the latter in the restructuring, insolvency and distressed M&A field.
Michael Kontos, Alexandra Kontos, Peter Mwangi; Deepen Shah
‘Michael Kontos is a very good guy. He is sensible and very commercial.‘
International Finance Corporation
Kenya Electricity Generating Company
Standard Bank Group
- Advised the administrators of ARM Cement on the potential sale of assets and subsidiaries in Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and South Africa.
- Assisted Simba Cement with its acquisition of Cemtech from Rock Field Corporation.
- Acted for Cockerill East Africa on its proposed acquisition of certain assets of Socabelec East Africa.
NBMA Advocates LLP is ENSafrica's new Nairobi branch, which was launched in 2019 by a four-partner spin-off team from Kaplan & Stratton Advocates. Amar Grewal-Thethy and Mahesh Acharya comprise an impressive senior team that is at the forefront of cross-border M&A, listed company deals and competition work. The group also has an impressive record in financial services and fintech.
Kaplan & Stratton Advocates has increased its focus recently on competition law and also remains active in the telecoms, manufacturing, food and beverages, and consumer industries. Joseph Ng’ang’ira is a key member of the team. Oliver Fowler is now a consultant. Mahesh Acharya and Amar Grewal-Thethy left to establish NBMA Advocates LLP.
- Advised American Tower Corporation on its acquisition of 715 communication towers from Telkom Kenya.
- Assisted Madison Group with the demerger of its life and general insurance business.
- Advised Engen on the disposal of shares in one of its holding companies to Vivo Energy.
Mboya Wangong'u & Waiyaki Advocates
MMAN Advocates is becoming a key destination for M&A, private equity, corporate restructurings and competition matters. The team has extensive experience in financial services, energy, infrastructure and manufacturing. It also remains a force in competition issues, handling the Kenya competition aspects of a number of global M&A transactions. Waringa Njonjo and Suzanne Muthaura are the lead partners.
Waringa Njonjo; Suzanne Muthaura
ABB ASEA Brown Boveri
Shandong Hi-Speed Nile Investments & Development
- Advised LeapFrog Investments on the merger approval aspects of its investment in the Pyramid Group.
- Assisted Century Developments with an investment from Consonance Kuramo Special Opportunities Fund.
- Advised ABB on the Kenyan component of the sale of its power grid business to Hitachi.
Jinaro Kibet; Stephen Mallowah
‘Very personalised service and excellence customer service.‘
‘Jinaro Kibet is very professional in his work, has an extensive and deep understanding of commercial and corporate law, and is very practical in his approach to crafting solutions.‘
National Treasury 1 Yes
Uplands Meat Products
- Advised National Treasury on the formation of the Kenya Development Bank by merger of ICDC, IDB Capital and TFC.
- Assisted Starling Park Properties with its acquisition by Stanlib Fahari I-REIT.
- Advised Acorn Group on its joint venture with a landowner.