Bolotov & Partners LLP has been advising on IP matters in Kazakhstan and other markets in Central Asia for more than 25 years. Managing partner (and registered patent and trade mark attorney) Yuri Bolotov leads on all matters related to IP rights, including trade marks, patents, utility models and copyrights in Kazakhstan, and he also has expertise in cross-border IP issues. Saule Kulzhambekova focuses on trade mark appeals, oppositions and IP legislation. Zhanat Nurmagambetov covers anti-counterfeiting and IP-related criminal matters.
IP and TMT in Kazakhstan
Bolotov & Partners LLP
Other key lawyers:
Saule Kulzhambekova; Zhanat Nurmagambetov
‘Bolotov & Partners is a powerhouse in Kazakhstan and the wider CAS region. Yuri Bolotov is an incredibly prominent lawyer in Kazakhstan, but humble and accessible. He is ably assisted by his colleagues.’
‘Yuri Bolotov has a legal mind to justify his prominence. His colleague Saule Kulzhambekova is very knowledgeable, strategic, responsive and a pleasure to work with.’
Philip Morris Kazakhstan LLP
The Coca-Cola Company
- Successfully conducted the raid actions against a chain of wholesalers of counterfeit spare parts of Toyota.
- Represented the interests of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. in the court in cases related to invalidation of the decision of the Appeal Board of the Ministry of Justice of the RoK to deregistrate the Eurasian patent for the invention of capsules for inhalation in the RoK of the patent owner.
Dentons assists international clients with IP registration, protection, enforcement and dispute resolution in Kazakhstan. Victoria Simonova is the key name and her broad client base in the IP space includes artists and entrepreneurs, individual inventors, multinationals and venture capital players, among others. She is supported by trade mark and patent attorney Aliya Seitova, who was promoted to senior associate in January 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘ A very responsive, professionally and knowledgeable firm. Competitively priced and willingly to assist in anyway possible.’
STADA ARZNEIMITTEL AG
RFGA MANAGEMENT PTY LTD
- Assisting with the creation of a romantic comedy based on the music, songs and life of a world -famous singer from Kazakhstan.
- Advising a client on various questions from a Kazakhstan law perspective in relation to consumer rights protection, data protection, licensing, pricing, tax.
- Assisting Stada Arzneimittel with conducting due diligence on part of the IP rights of Takeda and assisting with the assignment of rights to Stada in Kazakhstan as part of a $660m acquisition of a Russian brand portfolio from Takeda.
Kinstellar LLP acts for telecoms and internet companies on the full range of IP and TMT matters, as well as acting as co-counsel for international law firms in need of Kazakhstan advice. Lead partner Joel Benjamin frequently advises on the full range of cross-border matters, particularly those relating to international mobile operators in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. Adlet Yerkinbayev focuses on M&A, capital markets and banking and finance, particularly in the telecoms sector.
Joel Benjamin; Adlet Yerkinbayev
Other key lawyers:
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited's team works closely with a network of offices to protect and enforce IP rights in Kazakhstan, such as protecting copyrights, patents and trade marks, as well as maintaining IP stewardship. Managing partner Azamat Kuatbekov leads on IP advice, while Andrei Yorsh focuses on IP infringement work, particularly in relation to trade marks and pharmaceutical patents. Senior associate Nurgul Abdreyeva is highly experienced in IP enforcement and general contract law.
Azamat Kuatbekov; Andrei Yorsh
Other key lawyers:
British American Tobacco
NEO CTR JSC
The Body Shop
- Advising The Body Shop on regulations applicable to franchise arrangements.
- Assisting Marriott International with trade mark license arrangements.
- Assisting British American Tobacco with the management of its trade mark portfolio.
GRATA International offers the full range of IP advice to international clients, with its work covering trade marks, industrial design patents, licence and franchising agreements and IP due diligence. Its team is experienced in undertaking major projects for major telecoms companies. Saule Akhmetova's IP expertise is complemented by knowledge of ancillary areas, such as contract law, M&A and litigation. Yerzhan Yessimkhanov advises major TMT companies on all matters relating to corporate and finance law. Counsel Timur Berekmoinov leads on IP work.
Saule Akhmetova; Yerzhan Yessimkhanov
Other key lawyers:
‘A deep bench of professionals.’
‘Attentive to the needs of the client and proactive.’
Moscow Credit Bank
Belt & Road Capital Management
Arbitration Almaty LLP
Astana International Exchange Ltd.
BBC Group Sp. z o. o.
Brights Consulting Inc.
- Representing Arbitration Almaty LLP, the national company for the provision of arbitration services, in a dispute on the protection of exclusive rights to the trade name in a civil court.
- Advising Yandex in connection with various business operations in Kazakhstan including the launch of several internet services.
- Advising China Telecom in connection with various business operations in Kazakhstan including mandatory filings, licenses and permits.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax & Advisory LLP
PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax & Advisory LLP assists clients with a wide range range of IP and regulatory issues concerning trade marks, copyrights, franchising and licensing. Its client base includes entities operating in areas such as oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, construction and telecoms. Legal director Yelena Ryzhkova leads the team on all major IP projects. Michael Ahern is also a key contact.
Yelena Ryzhkova; Michael Ahern
Friendly Finance Kazakhstan LLP
Deha Magazicilik Ev Tekstil Urunleri Sanayi Ve Ticaret A.S.
- Advising Taxify OÜ on its activity in Kazakhstan including its initial market entrance, regulatory compliance, labour and immigration law matters as well as tax and commercial matters.
- Advised and provided legal support to Friendly Finance Kazakhstan LLP, dealing with digital financing and consumer lending products, on the regulation of quick online loans in Kazakhstan.
- Provided legal services to Deha Magazicilik Ev Tekstil Urunleri Sanayi Ve Ticaret A.S. in relation to franchise agreements regarding the protection of IP rights.
Sayat Zholshy & Partners combines IP experience with knowledge of antitrust law and experience of both arbitration and litigation. In addition, its team has a long history of acting as local counsel for international law firms. Practice head Amir Begdesenov handles trade mark registrations and IP-related disputes for clients in sectors such as tobacco, healthcare, TMT and power.
Beeline Kazakhstan, part of VEON
The Center for the Development of Advanced Technologies (CDTA)
- Represented Beeline Kazakhstan in civil proceedings (in courts of original and appeal jurisdictions) for the cancellation of a notice of alleged antitrust offences, and elaborated a strategy for dismissal of the antitrust action.
- Supported inDriver in connection with its audit by government authorities and represented the client in front of the Administrative Court.