IP and TMT in Kazakhstan
Bolotov & Partners LLP
Bolotov & Partners LLP focuses solely on IP and related matters, acting for foreign and international companies, banks and financial organisations on issues spanning IP litigation and counselling mandates including trade mark, patent and copyright advice. Managing partner Yuri Bolotov is a registered patent and trade mark attorney and has experience across trade marks, patents, inventions, utility models and industrial designs, and cross-border IP law. Other key names include Saule Kulzhambekova, who advises individuals and corporate clients on IP law and is 'incredibly responsive'; Yuliya Lokteva, who focuses on trade mark registrations and protection mandates; and Zhanat Nurmagambetov, who handles IP, anti-counterfeiting and criminal matters.
‘Bolotov have a wealth of experience in Kazakhstan and are a trusted advisor to my business.‘
‘I find both Yuri Bolotov and Saule Kulzhambekova to be incredibly responsive and clear in their advice.‘
Philip Morris Kazakhstan LLP
The Coca-Cola Company
- Advised Teva Pharmaceutical Industries on issues relating to the deregistration of a Eurasian patent for the invention of a pharmaceutical product, allowing for the production of generic drugs in Kazakhstan.
- Advised Abdi Ibrahim Global Pharm on the deregistration of the Eurasian patents for the invention of pharmaceutical products, allowing for the production of the medication in Kazakhstan.
- Acting for the population of Kazakhstan on various IP matters in cooperation with the National Chamber of Entrepreneurs of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Dentons is one of the only international law firms in Kazakhstan with a dedicated full-service IP practice. The group acts for a client roster, which includes telecoms and media companies, on the full spectrum of issues ranging from the registration of IP and complex franchising transactions to the implementation of IT projects. Aigoul Kenjebayeva heads up the department, which includes senior associate Nataliya Shapovalova, who is a patent attorney and specialises in the protection and enforcement of IP and media regulatory mandates. Associate Aliya Seitova is also a trade mark and patent attorney.
‘The team is strong in supporting clients on IP matters and trademarks registration.‘
‘Due to Dentons size as a global legal advisor, the contacts they have around the world is very impressive.‘
‘Aliya Seitova was not only very helpful in general, but carefully followed up on various open matters, which lead to very qualitative result. Galina Pogrebnaya showed strong skills and TMT registration matters.’
Eurasian Group LLP
BTS Digital LLP
Daniel Wellington AB
Chapter 4 Corp.
Nostrum Oil and Gas plc
Kinstellar is singled out for its advice to clients in the IP and TMT sectors, which encompasses assisting with corporate matters and complex legal research. The department has advised major international law firms on Kazakhstan law and also acts for several mobile operators in Kazakhstan. Joel Benjamin has experience in telecoms matters and assists clients with mandates in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan; while Adlet Yerkinbayev focuses on M&A, capital markets and banking and finance-related matters in Kazakhstan.
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited protects and enforces IP rights in Kazakhstan, and is involved in a number of major projects including the management of extensive trade mark portfolios. Managing partner Azamat Kuatbekov has experience in complex cross-border transactions and disputes, and wider IP mandates; he leads the practice, which also fields Andrei Yorsh, who specialises in litigation in the CIS area and focuses on IP infringement work for trade marks and pharmacy patents. Senior associate Nurgul Abdreyeva is active in cross-border transactions and regulatory IP matters.
British American Tobacco
NEO CTR JSC
- Assisted British American Tobacco with the management of its trade mark portfolio and the protection of IP in Kazakhstan.
GRATA International advises clients operating in Kazakhstan and the broader CIS region on a number of key IP and TMT issues spanning trade marks, patents, the commercialisation of IP, customs issues, the protection of IP rights and IP due diligence. Saule Akhmetova has extensive experience in matters relating to subsoil use, M&A and contract law, and TMT department head Yerzhan Yessimkhanov provides advice to a number of international companies.
‘They are good in non-contentious work and trusted advisor in IP-related matters in Kazakhstan and other CIS countries.’
‘GRATA is one of the most experienced international legal firm in Kazakhstan. They are able to provide responsive service and reliable advice in the TMT industry.’
‘Yerzhan Yessimkhanov has cooperated with our company for a long period of time. He is always able to give us the whole picture of the local regulatory constraints which is vital for better decision making, especially for foreign investors who are not quite familiar with the local regulation and norms.‘
- Advised Huawei on the construction and operation of the first 4G network in Kazakhstan.
- Advised Russian technology giant Yandex on its launch of several internet services in Kazakhstan.
- Advising China Telecom on its various business operations in Kazakhstan.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax & Advisory LLP
Building on its transactional and M&A expertise in Kazakhstan, PricewaterhouseCoopers Tax & Advisory LLP has expanded its practice to include regulatory work, data protection issues, telecoms, media and gambling mandates, commercial matters, and marketing, advertising and IP law. Practice head Yelena Ryzhkova has experience as in-house counsel and consultant, and is responsible for the management of legal projects. Assel Kazbekova recently joined the firm from Deloitte TCF, LLP and focuses on the construction and oil and gas sectors. Michael Ahern is also a key name to note.
Sayat Zholshy & Partners combines IP experience and comprehensive knowledge of antitrust law with a strong arbitration and litigation practice. Team head Amir Begdesenov is a key name for antitrust and IP mandates and works closely with international law firms; he also assists clients including national and international companies in the TMT, power and healthcare sectors.
Gaspian Beverage Holding JSC
Dan King LLP
- Acted for Caspian Beverage Holding in a claim against a competitor, which was using a mark which was similar to a trade mark owned by the client.
- Filing a trade mark application for Resmi for the registration of the ‘Altyn Umniy Koshelek’ trade mark, and subsequently drafting and filing a challenge to the provisional refusal to register the trade mark.
- Advised Beeline Kazakhstan on its trade mark issues in Kazakhstan.