Projects and energy in Jordan
Ali Sharif Zu'bi Advocates & Legal Consultants acts for a solid mix of sponsors, developers and lenders on energy and infrastructure projects. In recent years, the firm has been involved in several significant projects in the solar power sector. Managing partner Khaled Asfour and Jumana Toukan jointly lead the team.
Khaled Asfour; Jumana Toukan
‘The team know this practice inside out, and, consequently always gives a precise and justified answer.’
Capital Bank of Jordan
- Advised Amea Power on the $100m development of a solar power generation plant.
- Assisting Capital Bank of Jordan with the $100m plus project financing for two solar power plant projects.
- Advising Mid Contracting and Al-Majd on the $60m plus development of a slaughterhouse in Amman municipality.
Khalifeh & Partners Lawyers
Khalifeh & Partners Lawyers has a strong reputation for projects and energy work and is frequently involved in some of the country's largest mandates. The firm acts on several major renewables projects, and was counsel to the developer on two solar power plants worth over $100m. Khaldoun Nazer and managing partner Ala’ Khalifeh are highly experienced in this area.
Obeidat & Freihat regularly acts for sponsors and lenders on major infrastructure projects. The firm has been very active in the renewables sector and is also highly experienced in mining-related projects. Co-managing partner Thamer Obeidat is one of the firm's lead lawyers in this sector.
Al Tamimi & Company has an active projects practice that acts for several high-profile sponsors and developers. Clients also benefit from the firm's international network, with access to a deep pool of lawyers from across the region when required. Office head Khaled Saqqaf is the main contact for projects advice.
Masdar Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company
Standard Chartered Bank
National Bank of Kuwait
Sweimeh Development for Investments
- Assisting Saudi Jordan Investment Fund with a comprehensive review of the free zones, development zones and investment laws with the aim of establishing a new technology park.
- Advising TSK on the registration and licensing of a solar project in Al Safawi.
International Business Legal Associates (IBLAW) is a solid choice for major utilities projects, including energy and water, where it acts for clients in both the public and private sector. The firm is also experienced in transport and industrial infrastructure, and related construction, leasing and regulatory matters. Founding partner Salaheddin Al-Bashir is a key name in the space.
Rajai K.W. Dajani & Associates has a very active and experienced projects and energy practice with a strong track record in major infrastructure projects. The team, which is led by Yousef Khalilieh, acts for several major foreign clients, and is regularly referred work by global elite law firms. Renewables and oil and gas projects, for developers, contractors and lenders, continue to keep the firm busy.
Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO)
Korea Southern Power Co (KOSPO)
AMEC Foster Wheeler
The Government of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
Karar for Producing and Developing Industrial Equipment
Utilities Development Company
Kuwait Jordanian Holdings Company
- Advising Kepco, as local counsel, on its proposed bid for the 70-90MW wind power plant project in Fujeij.
- Acting for Kospo on the development and operation of a 51MW wind farm at Tafila.
- Advising the Jordanian government on Phase 1 of the Red Sea-Dead Sea project which will build a desalination plant near the Red Sea and connect it via a pipeline to the Dead Sea where the brine will be discharged.
Safwan Moubaydeen Law Firm in association with Dentons
Safwan Moubaydeen Law Firm in association with Dentons has had lead roles on several significant renewables and oil and gas projects, and also has strong expertise in utilities such as water pipeline projects. Safwan Moubaydeen leads the team, which was boosted by the arrival of partner Ala’ George Musleh from his own law firm.
‘One of the most successful and dynamic law firms in Jordan. They have a team attitude and spirit, including a willingness to share work and clients. They have competent, hardworking and focused lawyers with effective leadership.‘
‘Ala’ George Musleh has strong oral and written communication skills both in English and Arabic. He treats our company with the highest levels of professionalism and courtesy, meeting the deadlines even with short notice. He delivers exceptional client care by understanding the company’s business and the industry in which it operates.‘
Fujeij Wind Power Private Shareholding Company
Gama Güç Sistemleri Mühendislik ve Taahhüt A.Ş
Amman Asia Electric Power Company
Al Badiya Power Generation
- Advising Fujeij Wind Power Private Shareholding Company on the 89MW wind power plant which commenced operation in 2018.
- Advising Turkish construction company, Gama Güç Sistemleri Mühendislik ve Taahhüt, on the development and close-out of the Disi water pipeline project.
- Assisting Amman Asia Electric Power Company with the day-to-day operations of its Amman Asia power plant.
Sanad Law Group in association with Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has good experience of a range of major utilities and social infrastructure projects, including wastewater, transport, oil and gas and economic zone developments. Recently, it has advised on several significant deals in the renewables space. Iyad Zawaideh leads the team.
‘They are always responsive and available for any support needed. Serving the client is a priority to the teams always. They appreciate long term relationships and provide added value services.’
- Advising a renewable energy fund on two major project investments in Oman and Jordan.
- Assisting the investors with a 50MW solar project in Jordan.
- Advising an investor on its acquisition of a major stake in a wind power project in Jordan.
Barghouti Khirfan Hattar Advocates
Barghouti Khirfan Hattar Advocates has a growing reputation for handling major infrastructure projects. It advises on significant mandates in the transport, tourism and energy sectors, for public and private sector clients. Yazan Barghouti, Hazem Khirfan and Muayyad Hattar are all experienced in this area.
Airport International Group
Emirates Hospital Group
Al Jaber Group
- Advising Al Jaber Group on the $140m development of three hotels in the Dead Sea area.
- Assisting Fuheis Municipality with legal issues linked to opening up 188,000m2 of land to project development.
- Advising Emirates Hospital Group on the construction and development of a new general hospital in Jordan.
Hashem Law Office
Hashem Law Office has developed a strong understanding of the power sector through its position as longstanding adviser to the Jordan National Electricity Company. The firm also has a strong track record advising contractors and developers on major infrastructure and industrial projects. Rami Hashem is the main contact.
Odat & Co
Odat & Co has considerable experience advising on joint ventures and the structures behind major PPP/PFI, and regularly conducts due diligence and risk reviews. Ghazi Al Odat's practice has expertise across various forms of infrastructure, including water, power, oil and gas, and transportation.
Ghazi Al Odat
Osama Sukkari & Associates - Attorneys at Law provides regulatory and development advice to its broad client base, which includes lenders, developers and construction companies. Anwar Sukkari and Osama Sukkari are both well regarded for their expertise in this area.
‘Very transparent, very professional, and extremely knowledgeable, not only in the law but also in government related matters.’
‘Very responsive team and always ready to provide additional clarification and support on complex legal issues.’
‘Osama Sukkari and Anwar Sukkari are extremely knowledgeable in laws and regulations and government related matters. They always give an objective assessment of the situation, the available alternatives and their independent assessment of the best way forward.’
Bank of Jordan
Jordan Islamic Bank
Arabic Islamic Bank
Site Group for Services and Well Drilling
Spectrum International for Renewable Energy
- Advising the lender on a $15m facility to a major electricity company.
- Assisting a renewable energy company with a tender process for a project.
- Advising a client on its bid for a waste management services project in Senegal.