Ali Sharif Zu'bi Advocates & Legal Consultants has one of the leading projects practices in the market, with good experience in major infrastructure developments, project finance and PPPs. Clients include major contractors, developers, banks and multilateral lenders. Managing partner Khaled Asfour has almost 30 years experience in the field, and is backed by a strong team that includes Jumana Toukan. The practice was boosted by the arrival of senior associate Zade Chalhoub, formerly a lawyer for nine years at Latham & Watkins.
Projects and energy in Jordan
Other key lawyers:
Jumana Toukan; Zade Chalhoub
U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (previously OPIC)
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC)
Adenium Energy Capital
- Advising the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on a proposed facility to finance five wheeling/net metering projects sponsored by Yellow Door Energy.
- Advising Suez and CCC, as sponsors, and Samra Waste Water Treatment Plant Company on the second expansion of the latter’s plant in the Khirbet Al-Samra area.
- Advising the Capital Bank of Jordan on the proposed financing of three solar powered plants being developed by Catalyst for Zara Investments on a wheeling basis.
Khalifeh & Partners Lawyers
Khalifeh & Partners Lawyers has a top reputation for high-end projects and infrastructure work. The firm is regularly involved in the larger projects in the market, including renewables, energy, and social infrastructure developments. Khaldoun Nazer and managing partner Ala’ Khalifeh are two of the main contacts.
Obeidat Lawyers is a popular choice with sponsors and lenders, and can regularly be found advising on some of the country’s largest infrastructure projects. The team is especially experienced in renewables and mining-related projects. Co-managing partner Thamer Obeidat is a leading name in this area of work.
Safwan Moubaydeen Law Firm in association with Dentons represents an impressive mix of lenders, power companies, transport groups, investors and manufacturers. The firm's clients benefit from the firm's strong international network, and recently the team was heavily involved in several significant power projects. Managing partner Safwan Moubaydeen, who splits his time between Amman and Doha, and partner Ala’ George Musleh are both active in this area.
Other key lawyers:
Ala’ George Musleh
Fujeij Wind Power Private Shareholding Company
Gama Güç Sistemleri Mühendislik ve Taahhüt A.Ş. (Gama)
Amman Asia Electric Power Company (AAEPC)
Al Husainiyah Power Generation Company
Al Badiya Power Generation Company
Channoil Consulting Limited
Questerre Energy Corporation
Gemalto Middle East FZ LLC
- Advising Al Husainiyah Power Generation Company on the Al Husainiyah solar park project, which will use 200,000 solar panels of 330 watt-peak (Wp), which will be manufactured by Philadelphia Solar at its manufacturing facility in Amman’s Al-Qastal Industrial Area.
- Assisting Philadelphia Solar with the review and negotiation of a joint development agreement in relation to a $70m 50MW photovoltaic power plant in Egypt.
- Assisted Al-Badiya Power Generation Company in achieving the financial close for a 10MW photovoltaic power plant facility located in Northern Jordan.
Al Tamimi & Company has a good track record for infrastructure and development work, where it represents a mix of lenders, sponsors and developers. The firm's strong international network is of great benefit to clients, particularly for cross-border projects. Practice head Khaled Saqqaf is especially active on the lender side.
Standard Chartered Bank (SCB)
National Bank of Kuwait (NBK)
Masdar Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Housing Bank for Trade & Finance (HBTF)
- Advising Saudi Jordan Investment Fund (SJIF) on a comprehensive review of the Free Zones, Development Zones, and Investment Laws of Jordan, with the aim to establish a new Techpark in Jordan with a VC-financing element.
- Assisting the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the International Finance Corporation in supporting the Ministry of Education in implementing a pilot project comprising the design, build, finance, operate, maintain and transfer of up to 15 elementary and secondary schools under a PPP model, with an aim to replicate it across the country in phases.
- Advising the EBRD on the implementation of a corporate governance action plan for the National Electric Power Company in Jordan (NEPCO), including proposing board charters, nomination policies, audit and regulatory functions and other CG matters in line with international standards.
International Business Legal Associates (IBLAW) has a good reputation for advising public and private sector clients on major infrastructure developments, including projects within free trade zones. This includes advice across various sectors, including transport, hospitality, energy and manufacturing. Salaheddin Al-Bashir is the primary contact.
Jordanian Electrical Power Co (JEPCO)
Chemonics International Inc.
Rajai K.W. Dajani & Associates is often instructed by major international clients and regularly works alongside global law firms. The experienced projects team is strong on infrastructure matters, particularly in the renewables and hydrocarbons side, where it represents a mix of developers, contractors and lenders. Yousef Khalilieh is one of the main contacts.
Sanad Law Group in association with Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is a strong choice for cross-border infrastructure projects, where the firm is able to leverage its strong regional network. Former head Iyad Zawaideh has retired, with senior associate Faris Al-Louzi now running the practice. The lawyers have good experience in major utilities and infrastructure projects, as well as wastewater, renewables, transport and oil and gas developments.
A & T Najdawi Law Office has established a strong projects department with good expertise across several sectors, including transport, energy, telecoms and waste. The firm represents a large pool of public and private sector clients, with many of the latter coming from abroad. Managing partner Thaer Najdawi heads the team and has over 30 years experience in the market.
‘Fast, reliable and efficient service that is to the point of the matter. Thaer Najdawi is a very good and experienced lawyer.’
Greater Amman Municipality
Ministry of Transport
Jordan Telecommunications Company (Orange Jordan)
National Microfinance Bank Jordan
King Abdullah II Special Operations Training Center
Jordan Airports Company
Jordan Engineers Association
Al Rabya Hotels, Tourism and Commercial Centres Co. Ltd (Kempinski Hotel Amman’s owning company)
IHG Hotels Group
Jordanian Construction Contractors Association
KHD Humboldt Wedag International AG
MESK Investments Company
- Acted for the Greater Amman Municipality and the Ministry of Transport on a number of large transportation projects with values ranging from $90m to $166m.
- Advised the Greater Amman Municipality on large-scale energy, waste and waste disposal transactions as part of major sector development in Jordan.
- Advised Jordan Telecommunications Company (Orange Jordan) on the tender documents for the photovoltaic electricity systems solar farm project.
Barghouti Khirfan Hattar Advocates
Barghouti Khirfan Hattar Advocates has a solid track record advising on major infrastructure and development projects. Yazan Barghouti, Hazem Khirfan and Muayyad Hattar are all active in this area, representing a broad spread of public and private sector clients on energy, transport and tourism projects.
Hashem Law Office
Hashem Law Office is especially noted for its strong experience of the power sector. Its longstanding role as adviser to the Jordan National Electricity Company has ensured a significant number of mandates in this area. The team, led by Rami Hashem, is also active in areas outside of energy, representing a mix of contractors and developers.
‘Rami Hashem has very good legal experience and takes care of every tiny detail.’
Jordan Electric Power Company (Jordan)
Nippon Jordan Fertilizer Company
Consulting Engineering Center Company
Al Hashemiah Contracting Co
- Advised Al Hashemiah Contracting Co on a 100 mile fibre optic project in Jordan.
- Advised Jordan Electric Power Company on various electric power projects in Jordan.
- Advised Nippon Jordan Fertilizer Company on various fertiliser projects in Jordan.
Osama Sukkari & Associates - Attorneys at Law
Osama Sukkari & Associates - Attorneys at Law has a solid track record in water, energy and infrastructure projects. Practice head Anwar Sukkari has experience advising on construction projects in Jordan, Palestine and Iraq. The team acts for a mix of project lenders, sponsors and contractors, and has strong experience of advising on related Islamic financings.
Bank of Jordan plc.
Bank of Jordan (Bahrain)
Jordan Islamic Bank plc
Arab Islamic Bank
Jordan Leasing Co.
Eqbal Real Estate Developments (Owner and Operator of Ritz Carlton – Jordan)
Eqbal Investment Co. Plc
Bauer International F.Z.E
Norwegian Refugee Council
Spectrum International for Renewable Energy
Site Group for Services and Well Drilling
German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ)
Jordan Investments Trust Plc.
Ehdathiat Real Estate Plc.
Levant Schools Academy Ltd.
Imcan Financial Services Ltd.
Medical Clinics Co. Ltd.
Al Ta’awon Real Estate Management Ltd
- Advising the Jordan Valley Authority on an “Irrigation Management Transfer”, involving the transfer of its operation, management and oversight of water resources and distribution in the West of Jordan (Southern Shouneh) to a regional water users association.
- Advising a UAE-based contractor on the drilling and operation of 21 water wells in the UAE on a BOT basis.
- Advising a major Molasses manufacturer on the construction of a factory in Iraq.