Dispute resolution in Jordan
Ali Sharif Zu'bi Advocates & Legal Consultants is well versed in complex domestic litigation and international arbitration. Senior partner Sharif Zu’Bi was a former Minister of Justice, and he is backed up by an experienced team of lawyers, including senior counsel Edward Qassisiya. The firm has been involved in several major disputes in the energy, mining and pharmaceutical industries.
‘A traditional and very professional law firm with great expertise in litigation.’
Jordan Phosphate Mines Company
Arab Potash Company
- Defending ABB against a $52m claim brought by the government-owned Central Electric Generating Company concerning a fire at Jordan’s largest power plant.
- Representing GlaxoSmithKline in a €3m dispute concerning the alleged unlawful termination of an agency agreement with a leading Jordanian pharmacy store.
- Representing Jordan Phosphate Mines Company in a $15m local ad-hoc arbitration against a local contractor concerning a recent Jordanian construction project.
Bakr & Odeh Advocates & Legal Consultants has a longstanding reputation as a popular choice for major domestic and cross-border litigation and arbitration. Name partners Firas Bakr and Aiman Odeh are among the top disputes lawyers in the market.
Firas Bakr; Aiman Odeh
Abdelghaffar Freihat and Sufian Obeidat are two of the lead partners for disputes work at Obeidat & Freihat. The well regarded firm is a popular choice for civil and administrative disputes, and is also strong in white-collar criminal defence matters. Clients are drawn from a range of industries, including energy, mining, finance and manufacturing.
Abdelghaffar Freihat; Sufian Obeidat
Rajai K.W. Dajani & Associates fields a team of experienced litigators and disputes specialists who regularly appear before domestic courts and international arbitration tribunals. The firm's expertise includes construction, fraud, insurance, and distributor termination disputes. Name partner Rajai Dajani is the main contact.
Al Tamimi & Company is adept at handling a wide range of litigation and arbitration, and has strong expertise in major construction, insurance, banking, property and maritime disputes. The team, which is led by Samer Al Zuriekat, is also regularly instructed to act in disputes with commercial agents and franchisors in Jordan. Clients also benefit from the firm's broad Middle Eastern network.
Samer Al Zuriekat
National Bank of Kuwait
Standard Chartered Bank
Al Maabar Aqaba
LG Electronics Levant
Archer Daniels Midland Company
Emirates Steel Industries
- Representing Emirates Steel Industries in $20m worth of monetary claims against the company’s agent in Jordan.
- Defending the shipowner Mandarin Fortune against a $1.4m claim relating to damage caused by a fire in the hold of one of its ships.
- Representing Archer Daniels Midland Company in three disputes with the Jordanian Ministry of Industry, Trade and Supply, concerning the supply of grain and barley under various governmental tenders.
Andersen Tax & Legal Jordan (formerly Zalloum & Laswi Law Firm) is a popular choice with clients. The firm has been involved in several high-profile disputes for international clients in the past year. Lead partner Azzam Zalloum is highly experienced in litigation and arbitration.
‘The team has the right combination of experience and expertise for every case, and carefully evaluates every aspect of the matter at hand and prepares risk-reward analyses (including the likely costs of the litigation). The team is excellent in meeting deadlines. They work around the clock in order to get a favorable outcome from the case.’
‘Azzam Zalloum, has a thorough knowledge and understanding of the law and the court system. He is excellent in interpreting the law, collecting and compiling evidence, filing motions, and negotiating settlements.’
Hammouri & Partners Attorneys At-Law fields a 'highly qualified, well-informed and responsive' disputes team. The firm handles the full range of disputes, but stands out for the infrastructure it has set up to handle commoditised debt recovery and insurance claims. Omar Sawadha heads the team.
Promedz – Jordan
Marwan Al Kurdi & Partners Co Ltd
Al Rakaez Company
Societe Bank -Jordan
The International Cooperation Agency of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities – Jordan (“VNG”).
- Acting for Marwan Al-Kurdi & Partners, a construction company, in a high-value construction arbitration with a foreign company.
- Representing equipment healthcare manufacturer, Promedz-Jordan, in litigation and commercial claims.
- Acting for real estate investment company, Al Rakaez Public Shareholding Company, in a range of civil claims.
International Business Legal Associates (IBLAW) is noted for its strong track record in distribution, construction, IP, employment, banking and real estate disputes. Firas Malhas heads the team, which includes Salim Kopti, who is highly experienced in civil and administrative proceedings.
Osama Sukkari & Associates - Attorneys at Law attracts strong feedback for its disputes work, which encompasses the full range of civil, criminal and administrative litigation. The firm is also singled out for its strong grounding in aviation law. Osama Sukkari leads the team, which also includes Anwar Sukkari.
‘They are very knowledgeable in aviation law, and responsive and commercial in their approach. We have been very pleased with the service they have provided and would not hesitate to recommend them for aviation cases.’
‘Anwar Sukkari is very responsive, pro-active in handling cases and commercial in his approach. He is well versed in aviation law in Jordan and our go-to lawyer in the country.’
Bank of Jordan
Jordan Islamic Bank
Arabic Islamic Bank
Al Fakher Tobacco
Idealism General Trading
- Represented a contractor in a $8.5m claim against a major construction company over a breach of contract.
- Acted for a commercial client in a $6m dispute with the tax authorities.
- Representing a local family in a $10m debt recovery claim against a Kuwaiti company.
Safwan Moubaydeen Law Firm in association with Dentons
Dia Zaiter leads the team at Safwan Moubaydeen Law Firm in association with Dentons, whose clients benefit from the broader firm's impressive international reach. Recently, the firm has been involved in several significant disputes in the renewable energy, education, retail, construction, and media sectors.
Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem
American University of Madaba
Discover Jordan Tours
BP Exploration Operating Company
International Relief and Development
- Representing Philadelphia Solar Company in 15 lawsuits ranging from financial claims to customs issues and employment matters.
- Acting for adidas in $4m worth of disputes before the courts, including employment and leasing issues.
- Representing the American University of Madaba in various employment disputes.
Sanad Law Group in association with Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is strongly committed to the disputes market, and the arrival of partner Hani Kurdi, from his own firm, further bolsters Ghaleb Al Faraj's team. The practice is well integrated across the firm's network of five Middle Eastern offices, offering strong domestic and cross-border arbitration expertise. The team is also experienced in technology, telecoms and aviation-related litigation, often with a heavy regulatory angle.
Ghaleb Al Faraj
- Representing an international construction company in an arbitration concerning a disputed energy infrastructure project.
- Acting for an international engineering company in a dispute with a local company over failed payments for supplied equipment and machinery.
- Representing a foreign agricultural company in a dispute with two local companies over failed payments for the delivery of goods.