Commercial, corporate and M&A in Jordan
Ali Sharif Zu'bi Advocates & Legal Consultants is a mainstay of the corporate finance market, regularly chosen by clients from across a range of industries, including banking, hospitality, retail, mining, and pharmaceuticals. Managing partner Khaled Asfour, who is highly experienced in aircraft acquisitions, leasings and financings, has a strong track record for commercial work. Jumana Toukan splits her time between projects and M&A. Saleh Abd El-Ati leads the team which also includes senior partner Sharif Ali Zu’Bi.
Saleh Abd El-Ati
International Finance Corporation
Arab Potash Company
- Advised AFD (the French Development Agency) on three loans, collectively worth over €100m, to the Jordanian government.
- Advised GE Capital Aviation on the lease of aircraft to Royal Jordanian Airlines.
- Assisted Dubai Aerospace Enterprise with the sale of two aircraft registered in Jordan.
Khalifeh & Partners Lawyers
Khalifeh & Partners Lawyers has a strong market reputation for complex non-contentious work. The firm is regularly called upon to advise on cross-border M&A, financings, restructurings and joint ventures, and is also highly experienced in areas including competition and antitrust. Managing partner Ala’ Khalifeh and Khaldoun Nazer are highly sought after.
Obeidat & Freihat is one of Jordan's top destinations for legal support on high-end corporate finance transactions and commercial projects. Co-managing partner Thamer Obeidat and Hussam Al-Kurd are both very active on the M&A front, while Ward Tarawneh is highly experienced in banking and finance.
- Advising PCS of Canada on its acquisition of a significant interest in the Arab Potash Company.
Sanad Law Group in association with Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's highly rated team is primarily based in Amman, and is praised for its 'good knowledge of local legislation'. Nadim Kayyali leads the team, with Lana Habash being one of the main contacts on the M&A front. Clients benefit from the firm's strong global and regional network. Managing partner of the Middle East, Tawfiq Tabbaa divides his time between Jordan and the Iraq office. Senior associate Sarah Khatib is also noted.
Nadim Kayyali; Lana Habash
‘Advice is strategic, calculated and relevant. The firm is part of the business and operates with a strong understanding of daily activities and legal requirements. Advice goes beyond what is strictly required on a consistent basis.’
‘They grasp the issue immediately, and they are prepared to get involved in areas beyond that of a strictly outside counsel role, if it benefits the business. They have run training for customers, mapping regulations to our own policies with detailed analysis, and presenting at events in collaboration with us.’
USAID Jordan Competitiveness Program
Microfund for Women
Al Arabi Investment Group
Al Amal Hospital
Japanese Food Flavours
- Advised a regional investment fund on its investment into a local energy company.
- Assisting a local pharmaceuticals company with its sale to a private equity fund.
- Acting for a local investment fund on its acquisition of a stake in an agricultural company.
Al Tamimi & Company's Jordan office has an experienced corporate team led by Khaled Saqqaf, who also heads the firm's Iraq office. In addition to M&A, banking and capital markets, the practice advises on licensing, franchising, real estate, employment, construction and intellectual property.
Masdar Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company
Standard Chartered Bank
National Bank of Kuwait
TCL Mobile Communications
- Advised Kingsway Capital on its $13.5m acquisition of Mawdoo3.com.
- Acted for Falcom Financial Services on its acquisition of a stake in the electronic billing and payments company MadfooatCom.
- Assisted Brilliance Sagacious International Holding with its acquisition of a 70% stake in Alfa Tobacco Company.
International Business Legal Associates (IBLAW) has been a major fixture in Jordan's legal market for some time, a standing that is underpinned by its strong corporate finance offering. This includes a mix of M&A, restructuring, financings, joint ventures, and distribution agreements. Salaheddin Al-Bashir is the main partner in this area.
Rajai K.W. Dajani & Associates is a popular choice for international clients and is regularly referred work by global law firms. Recently, the firm has handled several major deals in the energy sector, and also has good expertise in distribution and franchising agreements, M&A, and commercial real estate. Managing partner Yousef Khalilieh is the main contact.
Tesco International Franchising
Johnson & Johnson
- Advising Korea Electric Power Corporation, as local counsel, on its proposed bid to acquire a wind power plant at Fujeij.
- Assisting a bidding consortium with its bid to acquire a 51% stake in the Jordan Petroleum Refinery Company.
Safwan Moubaydeen Law Firm in association with Dentons
Safwan Moubaydeen Law Firm in association with Dentons is a strong choice for commercial day-to-day and corporate advice. The commercial practice was boosted by the arrival of new partner Ala’ George Musleh, who joined from his own firm. The firm is noted for its expertise in the energy, retail, and healthcare sectors, as well as its strong international network. Managing partner Safwan Moubaydeen splits his time between Jordan and Qatar.
‘The firm has a strong long standing presence in the legal market in Jordan, and is very well positioned and connected to advise on local, regional and international matters. The lawyers have established strong relationships with the governmental sector, due to their previous work together, and are always best placed to address our corporate and energy needs, to name a few, in an accurate, timely and cost effective manner.’
‘The level of service is very professional and the corporate exposure they possess led them to deliver appropriate advice with sound industry knowledge.’
‘Safwan Moubaydeen has extraordinary leadership skills’.
Fujeij Wind Power Private Shareholding Company
Hillhouse Capital management
Questerre Energy Corporation
- Advising adidas on the full range of commercial day-to-day issues.
- Advising private jet charter and aircraft management company, Arab Wings, on aviation, corporate, insurance, tax, regulatory and employment issues.
- Assisting the Abdali Medical Center with all legal issues linked to the launch of the Clemenceau Hospital.
Zalloum & Laswi Law Firm has cemented its international network by becoming Andersen Tax & Legal Jordan, following a year long collaboration. The firm and its partners are a popular choice with international and domestic clients. Rasha Laswi is a key name for corporate matters and Azzam Zalloum is a market leader for restructuring and insolvency matters.
‘The firm takes a very personal interest in its clients. They are efficient and are able to understand the business requirements including the timelines within which their clients need responses. They have delivered on time and that has not been at the expense of thorough legal review and research. We have worked very closely with Rasha Laswi who is an absolute treat to work with.’
‘Rasha Laswi is an exceptional individual. Not only does she have a thorough knowledge in her field of expertise but she is a pleasant individual who is very easy to work with, proactive and approachable at all times.’
‘The best thing about the team is they have a coherent group covering different aspects. In our experience they always managed to dedicate the right team member who has the best knowledge for our specific need.’
Kitchen Aid Jordan
Alsafi Apparel Manufacturing
- Appointed co-liquidator on the $168 liquidation of Dead Sea Lagoon resort.
- Assisting Shamal Start, an EU-funded incubator which has launched over 100 start-ups, with the full range of corporate issues.
- Appointed as liquidator in the voluntary liquidation of MESC for Medium and High Voltage Cables Company, which has a $98m estate.
Barghouti Khirfan Hattar Advocates
Barghouti Khirfan Hattar Advocates is increasingly sought after for high-end corporate advice, and has a strong track record advising on M&A and private equity. The firm draws from an impressive domestic and international client base, which includes major players in the aviation, tourism, financial services and healthcare sectors. Yazan Barghouti, Hazem Khirfan and Muayyad Hattar jointly lead the team.
Yazan Barghouti; Hazem Khirfan; Muayyad Hattar
Al Jaber Group
Black Pearl Capital
- Advising Badia Capital on the establishment of a €50m fund to invest in Europe.
- Advising Rimal Capital on the restructuring of its financing facilities.
- Assisting Mayas Shahbander with the $3m sale of a 49% stake in the company to Al Arabi SME Investment Fund.
Hammouri & Partners Attorneys At-Law regularly advises public and private sector clients on complex commercial negotiations. The firm's links to the government were cemented by the fact that former managing partner Tariq Hammouri is now the Minister of Industry Trade and Supply. The team is now jointly led by Yotta Pantoula-Bulmer and Ahmed Khalifeh.
Ahmed Khalifeh; Yotta Pantoula-Bulmer
‘All team members are well-informed of the case details at all times. Updates are easy to obtain, laying out different scenarios and discussing proposals with the client on how to tackle each.’
‘Ahmed Khalifeh is very thorough and has a great attention to detail, he is creative in finding solutions when we face certain issues.’
The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources
Jordan Petroleum Refinery Company
Electronic Health Solutions
Jordan Renewable Energy Efficiency Fund
Al Rakaez Company
- Advising the Ministry of Energy & Mineral Resources on a range of related legal issues.
- Assisting Jordan Petroleum Refinery Company on day-to-day and transactional matters.
- Advising Electronic Health Solutions, a non-profit company, on the digitization of the public health sector.
Osama Sukkari & Associates - Attorneys at Law is praised for its 'reliable and responsive' service. The firm has good experience of franchising agreements, M&A, real estate, and more general day-to-day matters. Practice head Anwar Sukkari has a strong reputation.
‘Anwar Sukkari is clear, responsive and commercial.‘
Bank of Jordan
Jordan Islamic Bank
Arabic Islamic Bank
Al Fakher Tobacco
Idealism General Trading
- Advising a group of majority shareholders on their $191m sale of a 15% stake in a Jordanian publicly listed company.
- Advising Eqbal for Real Estate Development, the owner of Jordan’s Ritz Carlton Hotel, on day-to-day issues.
- Assisting a group of local investors with a franchise agreement for a restaurant chain in Bahrain.
Qudah Law Firm is praised for its 'professional expertise and positive attitude'. The firm has grown its corporate practice recently, having promoted Bassam Al-Abdallat to partner, and recruited Sufian Bataineh. The firm has a good reputation with international clients, thanks, in part, to managing partner Mohammad Mufleh El-Qudah's strong reputation for international clients.
Mohammad Mufleh El Qudah
‘The team is incredibly well educated, responsive, and fantastic to work with. As a complex firm with lots of moving requirements, I have never been anything but fully satisfied with the assistance we receive from Qudah Law Firm. Their responses have assisted us in managing our subsidiary organization while maintaining the necessary understandings of complex employment/labour law.‘
‘Mohammad Mufleh El-Qudah provides superior service in every one of his interactions with our organization. He has taken time on a weekend to discuss serious matters with me and has consistently explained the nuances of the laws in a manner that is unbelievably helpful.‘
Olgoonik Management Services
Four Seasons Hotel
- Advised the IT and call centre company Webhelp on its $20m acquisition of Al Musanadeh Lekhadamat Al Isnad Wa Marakez Al Itisal.