Private wealth: Independent local firms in Japan
Specialising in tax planning, Mori Hamada & Matsumoto has particular expertise in the areas of M&A, corporate reorganisations and cross-border transactions, as well as providing a wealth management practice that assists high-net-worth individuals with estate planning. In addition, the practice is also known for its litigation work and tax advisory services. Notable in this area is Atsushi Oishi, who has experience in tax, estate planning, and M&A transactions, in relation to wealthy individuals and family-owned companies. He co-leads the team with Makoto Sakai, who focuses on private wealth management, tax, and M&A, handling domestic and cross-border private wealth management matters from both a corporate and tax planning perspective; he is also experienced in tax investigations and tax litigation for high-net-worth individuals.
Atsushi Oishi; Makoto Sakai
Full-service firm Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu is particularly strong in structured finance, trusts, and taxation, providing advice to high-net-worth individuals from both legal and taxation perspectives. Notable in the area are former judge Masato Tanaka, who specialises in advising private clients on the legal, strategic, and business side of matters; trusts and inheritance expert Masayuki Fukuda; Shigeki Minami, who has expertise in M&A and tax; and Yushi Hegawa, who focuses on tax advice.
- Provided advice to wealthy client and his firm not only from a legal perspective but also a business and strategic perspective in relation to the management of the firm and the succession planning.
- Representing client in real estate investment overseas as a lead counsel for the drafting and managing the deal
- Provided legal advice to the client in relation to the existing ownership structures and their corporate restructuring.
- Provided legal advice to the client and its adviser regarding the prospective cross-border investment scheme and the relevant regulations.
- Provided legal advice regarding the owner/founder’s business succession, including setting up a declaration of trust. Declaration of trust’s flexibility is useful to responding various needs in business succession.
City-Yuwa Partners has particular expertise in acting for high-net-worth individuals, providing private and international wealth management services to clients in Japan and abroad. As well as individuals, the firm has experience representing financial institutions and real estate companies, combining expertise in international matters with tax, M&A, corporate, real estate, and litigation. The team is led by Shigeaki Itoh, Kazunori Furukawa, and associate Hitomi Sakai, who specialises in real estate trusts.
Shigeaki Itoh; Kazunori Furukawa; Hitomi Sakai