Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie is best known for its activity in the telecoms sector, where it often advises on public tenders for the award of mobile (including 5G), and wireless frequencies. In the technology area, where data expert Francesca Gaudino is the key name, outsourcing, data privacy and information management are the team's key areas of activity. Raffaele Giarda, who is head of the firm's global technology, media and telecoms industry group, provides regulatory and transactional advice to corporations and TMT providers in relation to AI, the connected car, and internet of things. Lorenzo de Martinis focuses on digital content management, media and e-commerce.
Firms in the Spotlight Industry focus: TMT
ICT Legal Consulting
ICT Legal Consulting is a one-stop-shop for all data-related needs. From adequate data collection and processing, to a correct handling of data breaches and deletion of data when no longer necessary, we help our clients to extract the greatest value possible out of their data.View Profile...
Industry focus: TMT in Italy
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Francesca Gaudino; Raffaele Giarda
Other key lawyers:
Lorenzo de Martinis
A+E Networks Italia
Colt Technology Services
Industries SpA – Moncler Group
- Advised Sky on the launch of Sky WiFi.
- Advised the Discovery group on the negotiation of a particular strategic deal in Italy
- Successfully advised LGE in a dispute before the Italian Competition Authority concerning new forms of social media advertising
DLA Piper assists major TMT sector clients with high-profile matters relating to GDPR and privacy protection, as well as digital transformation, 5G and ultrabroadband, outsourcing projects, data breaches and, notably, e-sports. The team, headed by IP lawyer Gualtiero Dragotti, includes telecoms expert Alessandro Boso Caretta and the highly regarded Giulio Coraggio. The firm's clients benefit from technology tools such as Notify, a data breach assessment tool, and Transfer, an assessment methodology for transfers of personal data outside the EEA.
Other key lawyers:
Giulio Coraggio; Alessandro Boso Caretta; Alessandro Ferrari
‘Considerable expertise in the technology sector. Certainly one of the most complete on the market, especially on innovative topics such as AI, IoT, information technology services. It is also a team able to manage complex issues or answers in a very short time.’
‘Giulio Coraggio stands out for his exceptional technical and relational skills. He is always available to provide support in a very short time and is able to fully understand the specificities or issues of the information technology sector. His expertise in the technology and privacy sector allows him to provide us with extremely effective support.’
‘They have an excellent presence and reputation in the TMT sector, especially in telecommunications, where they definitely are a go-to firm for Italy. They have long-standing experience in the field and they are able to give valuable advice on innovative projects. They are very quick and responsive, and clients can benefit from their industry insights.’
‘Highly recommend is Alessandro Boso Caretta, who is outstanding, at the top in Italy. He is very easy to work with and is a great problem-solver. You can always rely on him and his team. He gives incredibly valuable support’
‘Excellent international profile and ability to manage cross-border advice; varied and high-level Italian team; one-stop shop for multinational clients.’
‘Alessandro Ferrari, very competent, and Giulio Coraggio, pioneer in the use of digital channels to stimulate debate around jurisprudential and technological trends’.
‘They are a team made up of highly skilled professionals with in-depth knowledge of the TLC market both from a legal and regulatory point of view.’
‘A special mention to the lawyer Alessandro Boso Caretta and the people of his team for the very high level of availability and attention to the customer, the speed in providing answers to problems sometimes even very complex and the deep knowledge of the dynamics and needs of the client’s company.’
World largest eCommerce platform
Vodafone and Vodafone Automotive
- Successfully represented Vodafone before the Italian Supreme Administrative Court in complex regulatory litigation concerning the contribution for the funding of the telecoms universal service.
- Assistance to the Disney group with data protection and compliance matters relating to the launch of Disney + in Italy and in other European jurisdictions with the involvement of a number of the firm’s offices in the EU and in the US.
- Assistance to UBS with a business process outsourcing with Credem (an Italian banking group) relating to a banking critical function (portfolio management).
Hogan Lovells International LLP stands out for the breadth of its TMT practice. The group's advice spans matters concerning the internet, cloud computing, outsourcing and e-commerce projects; the media and new media sectors, particularly commercial and regulatory issues; telecoms and the automotive industry. Marco Berliri, whose expertise includes ISP liability and data protection, heads the practice. Massimiliano Masnada focuses on IT litigation and online privacy.
Other key lawyers:
‘The TMT team of Hogan Lovells is excellent. They are always ready to give prompt and concrete feedback, providing the necessary in-depth analysis on every legal issue.’
‘The Hogan Lovells team stands out from other firms because in addition to great competence and timeliness in their work, they demonstrate that they are interested in the client and consider them as their main objective. Working with them creates a real team synergy.’
‘The TMT department of Hogan Lovells is the reference team for all companies in the digital world. It is made up of brilliant professionals, with incredible experience and in-depth knowledge of the reference business and of the legal problems related to it, whether they are common to more traditional markets or the most peculiar and recent ones.’
‘Marco Berliri is undoubtedly the lawyer with the greatest knowledge of the TMT world, the greatest experience and the greatest ability to understand and solve the legal problems related to it. His experience and intuition allow him to always identify and develop winning solutions.’
- Assisting Google with litigation, privacy, commercial and regulatory matters for all services launched in Italy.
- Assisting Uber in relation to regulatory, commercial and contentious matters in Italy regarding iys Rides and Eats businesses.
- Assisting Airbnb in relation to compliance with regulatory issues, strategic partnerships, consumer protection and contentious matters.
Portolano Cavallo is distinguished by its broad practice, which is the go-to choice for a considerable number of Italian TV channels, OTT streaming services and media companies in general. The team stands out for covering all aspects of TMT, including technology, Laura Liguori's focus; digital and media matters, which are core areas for Ernesto Apa; and TMT transactions, managed by Francesco Portolano. Counsel Donata Cordone's work on advertising, e-commerce, consumer protection and audiovisual media is highly regarded. The firm has knowledge of the US market thanks to a representative office in New York and is a corporate partner of the Women & Tech programme.
Ernesto Apa; Laura Liguori; Francesco Portolano
Other key lawyers:
Fabiana Bisceglia; Donata Cordone
‘Legal knowledge, style and professionalism. Undoubtedly, Portolano Cavallo has a strong expertise in TMT practice, like few other firms in Italy have.’
‘Ernesto Apa is has a rigorous and at the same time informal style. Outstanding expertise, professionalism, seriousness, transparent behaviour, fair approach with public institutions, independent judgement, and in-depth understanding of the interactions between the reasons of the clients and the public interest connected to regulation.’
‘In-depth knowledge of the TMT sector, with particular reference to the media area. They are able to quickly understand the specific needs of the client by providing brilliant tailor-made solutions. Undoubtedly an excellence in the TMT legal landscape!’
‘Ernesto Apa is a star of the media sector. He boasts an encyclopaedic knowledge of media regulation, is reactive and always manages to find the solution that satisfies the client in compliance with current legislation. He also enjoys considerable appreciation from the institutional and academic world.’
‘Ernesto Apa is a role model for how a lawyer should conduct his business’
‘Excellent advice, very commercial and practical. Always prompt and clear advice on complex issues. They are very quick to adapt to any innovation or change in process introduced by the client or our firm. Excellent knowledge of the sector and the needs of clients.’
‘Ernesto Apa is always available to give pragmatic and well-considered advice. Great, prompt and clear advice from Fabiana Bisceglia and Donata Cordone.’
‘The strong point is the quality, accuracy and understanding of the customer’s needs.’
‘Boutique with excellence in the media and TMT world; dynamic team, attentive to innovation; use of clear and direct language in opinions; willingness to discuss advanced fee models’
‘Francesco Portolano: brilliant mind and able to proactively give useful ideas to the customer on market evolution, laws, etc.’
The technology and communications group at Bird & Bird is characterised by its strong multidisciplinary expertise. The team includes experts in IP, telecoms, IT and media law organised in several sub-teams, which are respectively headed up by Massimiliano Mostardini, Arturo Leone and Giovanni Galimberti. The group also advises TMT-sector clients on blockchain, smart contracts, cloud services and data centres. Federico Marini Balestra, who was promoted to partner in May 2020, is a competition lawyer with a strong focus on TMT and telecoms.
Massimiliano Mostardini; Arturo Leone; Giovanni Galimberti
Other key lawyers:
Federico Marini Balestra
ZOOM Voice Communications
- Advised Telecom Italia on the strategic partnership with Google (memorandum of understanding) which concerns different areas of cooperation in relation to the provision of customers, cloud services and the creation of new data centre infrastructures.
- Assisting DAZN in the investigation carried-out by the Italian Competition Authority in the context of the intended merger between Sky Italia and the pay-tv unit of the Mediaset group.
- Advised Cisco on IT services distribution contracts.
In the media and publishing sector, Chiomenti is a strong player for matters involving regulation, the transfer of digital channels and day-to-day commercial matters. Transactions are also a focus for the team, especially those in the telecoms sector. In the technology sphere, the firm is particularly recognised for assisting with academic and cross-industry projects. Gilberto Nava, who heads the practice, is one of the 'leading experts in the telecoms sector' and is supported by counsel Giulio Vecchi, who covers commercial agreements, e-commerce, regulatory matters, data protection and entertainment law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Clarity and particular attention to the clients’ business; knowledge of the sector in which the company operates so that the latter can be informed about best practices.’
‘Focus on business, analytics and in-depth analysis’
‘Competence and knowledge of the field – willingness and flexibility to tackle different and not always complementary themes. Customer predisposition and strategic thinking in resolving disputes.’
‘Gilberto Nava and Giulio Vecchi have very high competence in the sector and a shared approach in solving the issues addressed. They are prepared for collaboration, open to discussion and always available to help clients in strategic steps. They are a point of reference for relevant choices, well beyond the purely legal sphere.’
‘The Chiomenti TMT team is made up of highly trained and experienced professionals in the field of telecommunications. Collaboration is very simple thanks to the ease with which they manage to enter into problems and the readiness to provide answers, sometimes with very tight deadlines. Furthermore, in cases where it is necessary to resort to the advice of a professional from another department, extensive work teams are created in a very short time to provide 360-degree solutions. This wealth of skills coupled with a great experience in the sector is certainly a great strength compared to other law firms.’
‘Gilberto Nava is one of the leading experts in the telecoms sector in Italy and, thanks to his considerable experience, is able to support company decisions also at a strategic level and allow effective dialogue with both the sector authorities and with the other operators. His collaborators (eg Giulio Vecchi) are dedicated to the assistance of telecoms operators which, overall, makes work easier and it easier to share technical and regulatory issues.’
Yoox Net à Porter
Postemobile (now PostePay)
De Agostini Editore
- Advising KKR on potential investments in certain assets related to the secondary fixed-access network of Telecom Italia S.p.A. across the whole Italian territory and some related assets, including a stake in Telecom in Flash Fiber.
- Acting for Asstel in a number of complex judicial proceedings before the Council of State concerning certain resolutions issued by the Italian Communications Authority that imposed severe restrictions on all tlc operators.
- Advising Mediaset/RTI on the regulatory and copyright aspects of its transaction with Sony Pictures Entertainment, concerning the acquisition of a going concern including the TV channel formerly used by Sony for broadcasting channel CineSony and a significant number of theatrical films and other audio-visual programmes.
Gianni & Origoni's media team mainly handles copyright, privacy, competition and regulatory issues for media service providers, content providers and network operators. In the privacy field, it specialises in data protection issues involving multiple jurisdictions, including advice on agreements, ad-hoc data protection systems and investigations. Francesco Gianni and Nino Di Bella jointly head the department. Luca Rinaldi focuses on media and entertainment, particularly acquisitions and the distribution of television rights.
Francesco Gianni; Nino Di Bella
Other key lawyers:
‘Provides comprehensive analyses.’
‘Luca Rinaldi distinguished himself for his ability to think in business terms, understanding the dynamics of the sector and knowing how to come up with legal solutions that respond to the needs of the client and providing clear trade-offs if necessary; and his constant provision of direct support to the team.’
Sky Italia S.r.l.
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
RCS Mediagroup S.p.A.
De Agostini Editore
Fondazione Modena Arti Visive
Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana
Scarabeo Entertainment S.r.l.
- Assistance to Telecom Italia in its agreement with Vodafone in relation to an active network-sharing partnership for 4G and 5G, and the expansion of their passive-sharing agreement.
- Assistance to the Italian Football League (Serie A) with the sale of a stake in a proposed TV rights newco.
- Assistance to TIM in its agreement with Ardian for a consortium of institutional investors led by Ardian to invest in a newly formed holding company.
Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati has a strong position in the internet, e-commerce and data protection fields, while also being highly competent in IT subjects, especially IT governance and outsourcing. In the media sector, the firm's client base includes key players in the TV and film industries, media, publishing and entertainment companies, as well as advertising agencies, telecoms and leading gaming companies. IT lawyer Domenico Colella heads the practice, which includes IP and TMT litigator and transaction lawyer Fabrizio Sanna.
Other key lawyers:
‘Competence in IT subjects, IT governance as well as legal. Strong negotiating drive and seniority’
‘Domenico Colella: competence; drives negotiations; extremely dedicated.’
‘Great professionalism, availability and attention to customer needs; able to identify tailor-made solutions.’
‘Domenico Colella: constant attention and participation in all the phases connected to the assignment, to which is added the support and analysis even on aspects not strictly connected to legal issues.’
‘Competence, the absolute professionalism, kindness and preparation of the whole team. Reactivity, proactivity and the ability to prevent requests and problems.’
‘Impeccable collaboration with Fabrizio Sanna, who has unsurpassed competence’
ITV Global Entertainment Limited
Tagetik (software house belonging to Wolters Kluwer group)
Borsa Italiana (Italian Stock Exchange)
The Walt Disney Company
- Advised Amazon on a number of contentious, non-contentious and regulatory matters pertaining to the client’s core businesses.
- Advised The Walt Disney Company on a number of contractual, copyright, trade marks, media, regulatory and litigation matters
- Advised Pirelli on the launch of a new platform for the management of the client’s production worldwide
BonelliErede has been re-organising its TMT practice and growing its profile especially in the fields of innovation, data and cybersecurity, fintech and insurtech, as well as digital start-ups. The multidisciplinary team, which includes experts in business models and taxes in the digital economy, digital payments, smart contracts, data and regulation, is led by Tommaso Faelli.
- Advised Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana on the legal aspects connected to the launch of its first Digital Fashion Week.
- Advised Fluidmesh Networks and the Italian seller on its sale to Cisco.
- Advised Aviva Italia on the signing of a contract for a cloud service subscription for Guidewire InsuranceSuite Cloud with Guidewire Software.
In the TMT sector, CMS stands out for advising on matters relating to IT projects and product and services procurement and launches. The team, led by Italo de Feo and Paolo Scarduelli, mainly assists IT and technology providers, purchasers of technology products and services investment companies and start-ups. Matia Campo, who joined the group from Accenture in September 2019, is praised for his 'enormous competence' in systems integration, outsourcing and technology transactions, data privacy advice and compliance services.
Italo de Feo; Paolo Scarduelli
Other key lawyers:
‘Matia Campo: speed in replying, business oriented style in communications, easy to understand even by those who do not work in the legal department. Practicality in dealing with different issues and enormous competence in the sector, acquired thanks also to the several years he spent as legal counsel in an American corporation.’
‘CMS’ TMT team has unparalleled knowledge and experience of the subject and ability to understand and interpret complex and technical issues, translate them into an accessible language and provide prompt, relevant and high quality assistance.’
‘Matia Campo: availability, his in-depth knowledge of the subject, ability to understand the client’s business reality and propose practical solutions and recommendations, consistent with the needs of the business. A fundamental and strategic resource.’
Corriere dello Sport / NES Editoriale
Telefonica International Wholesale Services
- Advised Telepass, on its concession agreements with highway operators in Italy and in other European countries and on the launch of its services in several European countries, including Germany, Hungary, Belgium, France, Poland and Austria.
- Advising Bolttech Technology on the launch of its device protection and digital brokerage services in the Italian market, including in connection with the agreements with one of the leading Italian telecoms operator
- Advising Ufirst on the launch in the Italian market of its app which designed to manage queues.
Giangiacomo Olivi's team at Dentons leverages the firm's global TMT practice and its own 'undisputed technical skills' to advise on matters relating to data privacy and data protection especially, while media, communications and technology (with a focus on the internet of things) are also key strengths. Olivi is well known in the market and handles a workload that includes data management and digital transformation issues, while also covering outsourcing and commercial transactions. Chiara Bocchi is specialised in data protection.
Other key lawyers:
Giangiacomo Olivi is professional and efficient. Chiara Bocchi: beyond the undisputed technical skills, they stand out for their reliability, knowledge of the telecoms market and proactivity in finding solutions suited to business demands.’
‘High professionalism and competence of the subject. Giangiacomo Olivi is an exquisite person who manages to combine an excellent knowledge of the issues with a very pleasant and kind communicative ability. Excellent pool of partners capable of enhancing young talents; dynamic attitude to innovation; strong attention to customer needs and pragmatism of advice. Flexibility in fees. They have developed a platform that allows you to manage, if the customer wants it, the interaction completely online’
‘Young talents are given exposure and valued, unlike what happens in many other firms: Chiara Bocchi for privacy. Giangiacomo Olivi is outstanding in terms of field vision and anticipation of industry trends.’
- Advising Eutelsat on the launch of new services, including the deployment of hardware and satellite equipment and broadband offering in Europe and in several jurisdictions in Africa; as well as network management and regulatory issues; negotiating broadband supply agreements with third parties.
- Assisting Coima in relation to the technology set-up of one of the main smart city projects in Europe.
- Assisting Prs Group with the definition of an agreement with Keesing Group in order to develop existing synergies and share a growth plan for the diffusion of Prs’ quiz area publishing products in Italy and the vast portfolio of publications.
Gallavotti Bernardini & Partners is known for its longstanding presence in the market as a media and sports law address. It has a strong international reach and assists foreign studio houses with matters relating to licences, film rights and development, and new digital services. Name partners Mario Gallavotti, who counts FIFA, UEFA and other football bodies among his clients, and Antonio Bernardini, who covers acquisitions and content distribution in the entertainment sector, head the practice. Chiara Dellacasa handles contracts with film producers and suppliers.
Mario Gallavotti; Antonio Bernardini
Other key lawyers:
‘Antonio Bernardini is one of the best professionals in the media sector: his is not only a purely legal contribution, but a real support also with a view to offering the best solution with regard to business issues. Chiara Dellacasa is always extremely well-informed of the legislative innovations in the sector and generous with her advice.’
‘Reliability, updating, confidentiality.’
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Mario Siragusa, Marco D’Ostuni and Matteo Beretta are the key figures at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, which provides multidisciplinary advice relating to the TMT sector. Clients include telecoms and TV companies, among others.
Mario Siragusa; Marco D’Ostuni; Matteo Beretta
Telecom Italia – TIM
- Acted for Vivendi in a number of proceedings, in Italy, Spain and The Netherlands, including an urgent appeal before the Court of Milan, as a result of which it obtained recognition of its right to participate and vote, with shares in its own name, at the shareholders’ meeting of Mediaset on September 4, 2019 concerning the merger of the latter into the Dutch company MediaForEurope.
- Counsel to Telecom Italia – TIM before the Court of Milan in the successful dismissal of a follow-on action by Enter based on ICA’s decision A428, related to an abuse of dominance case.
- Representing SKY Italia before the court of Milan, which rejected RAI’s requests for interim measures against SKY, confirming that the next two seasons of the Champions League will be broadcast on Mediaset networks.
Cugia Cuomo & Associati
The TMT and data protection department at Cugia Cuomo & Associati is best known for its wide-ranging expertise, covering regulatory advice, as well as assistance with the internet of things, big data, broadband and online gambling and publishing. Fabrizio Cugia di Sant’Orsola is the main figure in the team and represents clients before Italian and international courts in disputes concerning commercial and regulatory issues relating to the offering of internet services. He also handles administrative and antitrust issues.
Fabrizio Cugia di Sant’Orsola
Other key lawyers:
SBD Automotive (Mitsubishi Motors Corporation)
SBD Automative (SAIC Motor Corporation Limited)
- Advised SBD Automotive and its clients Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, Japan and Mitsubishi Motors Europe, Netherlands on conducting a regulatory analysis, including considering compliance issues related to the mobile connectivity of vehicles.
- Advised SBD Automotive and its client SAIC Motor Corporation Limited, based in China, on conducting a regulatory analysis, including considering compliance issues related to the mobile connectivity of vehicles.
- Acted for Alpitel S.p.A. before the Council of State and obtained the annulment of previously imposed sanctions. Additionally, represented the client in two disputes pending before the Court of Milan (vs. Vodafone S.p.A. and Wind S.p.A.) in relation to a compensation claim arising from an assumed cartel agreement.
ICT Legal Consulting is entirely focused on the technology sector, and provides full-service advice to clients active in the technology industry, including on privacy and IP law. The team has expertise in a plethora of sectors, including automotive, life sciences, sports and entertainment. Paolo Balboni is a privacy and data protection lawyer and serves as data protection officer for multinational companies, while Luca Bolognini is also involved in the same area while also acting as an independent ethics and privacy adviser for several European research and innovation projects; the duo head the practice.
Paolo Balboni; Luca Bolognini
‘Professionalism and availability’
‘The firm’s partners have always shown commitment to resolve even the most complex issues’
‘Highly specialized skills. Clarity of vision of issues and problems. Ability to identify solutions. Respect for deadlines. Clarity of expression in the documents produced.’
‘Excellent knowledge of the most advanced tools in the technological field.’
‘Purposefulness and ability to work with advanced tools’
‘Great professionalism and high competence in privacy issues, subsequently translated into concrete solutions aimed at improving the governance structures and the customer’s technical-organizational structure. The strengths are essentially represented by the team’s ability to apply knowledge, know-how and experience.’
‘Business-oriented approach, international vision, knowledge of the sectors’
‘Availability and presence. Understanding of the specific issues of our business.’
Amnesty International – Sezione Italiana OdV
Axpo Italia S.p.A.
Banijay Italia S.p.A.
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro S.p.A. – Gruppo BNP Paribas
BPER Banca S.p.A.
Brunello Cucinelli S.p.A.
Cerved Information Solutions SpA
Credit Agricole Cariparma S.p.A.
Culligan Italiana S.p.A.
ENGINEERING – Ingegneria Informatica S.p.A
FABBRI Holding Industriale S.p.A.
Facile.it S.p.A. con socio unico
Friul Intagli Industries S.p.A.
Giochi Preziosi S.p.A.
Grandi Navi Veloci S.p.A.
Micys Company S.p.A.
Prima Assicurazioni S.p.a.
Salvatore Ferragamo S.p.A.
Samsung Electronics Italia S.p.A.
Sapio Produzione Idrogeno Ossigeno S.r.l.
Sara Assicurazioni S.p.a.
SGS Italia S.p.A.
Soft Strategy S.p.A.
- Assisted Samsung Electronics Italia S.p.A with respect to criminal and administrative liability compliance, in Italy also known as 231 administrative liability.
- Assisted Sara Assicurazioni S.p.A. and Sara Vita S.p.A. – part of the same insurance Group – in order to determine the legal and contractual aspects concerning their strategic joint marketing alliance, also including the drafting of the joint data controlling framework agreement.
- Assisted Culligan Italiana S.p.A. with the development of a new e-commerce portal.
Legance - Avvocati Associati focuses on supporting clients in the electronic communications, media and entertainment, consumer protection and the internet, e-commerce and IT services sectors. The team, and especially its head, Valerio Mosca, are praised for their regulation and antitrust expertise particularly in the telecoms field.
‘Great expertise in regulation and antitrust in telecoms, ability to see issues and design the right legal strategies.’
‘Valerio Mosca has a very deep knowledge of TMT regulation and legal antitrust issues in these sectors. He is able to propose appropriate strategies and solutions with respect to different legal issues.’
Asacha Media Group and Oaktree Capital Management
Cloud9 Technologies LLC
Commify Italy S.p.A.
Iliad Italia S.p.A.
Raffles Infra Holdings Ltd
- Acting for Iliad Italia in several judicial proceedings concerning the economic and technical conditions to use frequencies for 5G services.
- Representing Fastweb in a judicial proceeding before the Consiglio di Stato for the annulment of a decision issued by the Italian Communications Authority that fined Fastweb for alleged regulatory infringements concerning the migration of end users for the provision of fixed network services.
- Assistance in the creation and launch of Asacha Media Group, a new pan-European group for television formats, established with the financial support of the private equity fund Oaktree Capital Management.
MONDINI BONORA GINEVRA Studio Legale has a strong track record acting for national and international media and entertainment clients, as well as trade associations. Giorgio Mondini and Silvia Mondini lead the team, which focuses on regulations relating to advertising and promotion, commercial contracts, IP, licensing, royalties and transmission matters.
Giorgio Mondini; Silvia Mondini
Other key lawyers:
Fabio Ghiretti; Francesca Milani
Australian Wool Innovation Ltd
Warner Chappell Music Italiana Srl
Ponderosa Music and Arts Srl
Show Bees Srl
Velux Italia Spa
Agenzia per lo Sviluppo dell’Editoria Audiovisiva
Standex International Corporation
- Assisted VatiVision with the design, implementation and launch of a new platform dedicated to the digital distribution of religious art content.
- Assisted Australian Wool Innovation and its marketing subsidiary, The Woolmark Company, in organising multi-territorial skill-based competitions open to entrants from Italy.
- Ongoing assistance to Warner Chappell Music Italiana, a global music publishing company part of the Warner Music Group, with IP and TMT matters.
Nctm Studio Legale's TMT team is particularly active in M&A, but also handles advisory and regulatory matters concerning telecoms, media, entertainment and new technologies. Practice head Vittorio Noseda and his team have been kept busy advising the Vodafone Group on the establishment of a listed joint venture with Telecom Italia, concerning the infrastructure for 4G and 5G mobile networks.
‘Great mix of knowledge, availability and performance. Simply the address to go to. Strong academic background and great capability to provide hands-on advice.’
‘Vittorio Noseda: high legal skills, strong technically, business talent. Extremely available and quick in reverting. He and his team are very well-organised, very reliable, dedicated to clients.’
‘NCTM has a strong knowledge of the market, having acted on the major transactions during the past years. NCTM knows not only the legal framework, but also the players and their history. This brings unique expertise when advising on TMT matters. Vittorio Noseda is a trusted advisor.’
‘Vittorio Noseda is a top leader in the TMT sector. Vittorio’s knowledge combined with his leadership and dedication to matters brings unique results to clients.’
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
Sony Interactive Italia S.p.A.
RCS Mediagroup S.p.A.
Unidad Editorial S.A.
Atos Italia S.p.A.
- Assisted Vodafone with a joint venture with TIM for a passive and active network sharing agreement with INWIT.
- Assisted Retelit Digital Services in the acquisition, via its Retelit Digital Services subsidiary, of 100% of Bolzano-based ICT and TLC provider Brennercom from media group Athesia
- Assisted Retelit Digital Services, a subsidiary of Retelit, with signing a binding agreement for the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Partners Associates.
Music publishers and recording companies, leading international artists and copyright collecting societies are Osborne Clarke's main clients in the media sector. With the support of the firm's international network, the team is also involved in advertising, marketing, social media and video gaming law matters. Practice head Gianluigi Marino is known for his engagement in artificial intelligence, internet law, outsourcing and data protection.
Other key lawyers:
Marialaura Boni; Federico Ferrara
‘Knowledge and support of our needs internationally’
‘Gianluigi Marino: competence, professionalism, availability at all hours, transparency’
‘Gianluigi Marino is the reference partner for the activities commissioned to the firm. He is an extremely prepared professional (always up to date with regulatory but also technological news), available and punctual.’
‘Reliability and immediate availability’
‘Marialaura Boni and Federico Ferrara certainly represent a very reliable team for a customer. Every request is immediately satisfied.’
Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A / SM Publishing (Italy) S.r.l.
APA – Associazione Produttori Audiovisivi
Integral Ad Science Inc.
PDU Music & Productions S.A.
Avanti Communication Limited / Avanti Broadband Limited
Havas Milan S.r.l.
VICE Media LLC
Facebook Ireland Ltd
- Advising Integral Ad Science, on negotiating contracts for services relating to online ad-validation and the prevention of fraud in the online advertising environment, as well as providing similar advice to Admantx, a leader in artificial intelligence and real semantic intelligence recently acquired by the client.
- Assisting Sony Music Entertainment Italy with designing procedures for handling data flows and drafting the documents connected with its new digital store, which is intended to recreate online the experience between artists and their fans that usually takes place at live in-store signing events.
- Assisting Vodafone with various data protection and regulatory issues in the context of international projects, as well as advising Vodafone Global Enterprise on negotiating contracts for the provision of IoT services, fixed and mobile connectivity and unified communications services.
Simmons & Simmons
At Simmons & Simmons, the TMT team is led by practice head Edoardo Tedeschi, who focuses on digitalisation strategies. The team is able to leverage the firm's international network to provide a cross-border service. Ariel Nachman, who was promoted to partner in August 2020, splits his time between London and Milan and is recognised for advising Israeli and multinational clients in the TMT sector.
Other key lawyers:
Ariel Nachman; Alessandra Bianchi
‘The team provides comprehensive and professional legal services. They are knowledgeable, hard-working and passionate. They always respond to our requests promptly and under their best effort. We do appreciate the results they deliver.’
‘The team, Edoardo Tedeschi and supervising associate Alessandra Bianchi are great to work with. They provide comprehensive and professional legal services. They are knowledgeable, hard-working and passionate. They always respond promptly and under their best effort.’
Bridgestone Europe NV/SA
Axyon AI S.r.l.
Ferdinand Bilstein Italia S.r.l.
Thoughtworks Holding Ltd.
Salvatore Ferragamo S.p.A.
PCCW Global BW
Gateway Global Communications LTD
China Telecom Europe LTD
Sitel Europe LTD
Forequest Italia Srl
- Advising Bridgestone NV on the acquisition of Tom Tom Telematics.
- Advising AIM Spa on the merger with AGSM Spa.
- Advising China Telecom Ltd on the management of telco authorization for ISP and air time reseller (ATR) and assistance on commercial agreement and management of consumers’ claims (on AGCOM dispute platform).
LCA Studio Legale assists companies in the IT and media sectors with day-to-day legal matters and extraordinary projects. Gianluca De Cristofaro covers data protection and IT matters, including cybersecurity issues. Andrea Messuti mainly deals with M&A, financing and investment transactions in the TMT sector. Edoardo Calcaterra focuses on M&A, financing and investment funds with a nexus to the TMT sector.
Edoardo Calcaterra; Gianluca De Cristofaro; Andrea Messuti
Other key lawyers:
‘Industry skills in the digital and internet field. Availability of experts with specialized skills (tax, labor, etc …) Great ability to work in team’
‘Great ability to adapt and quickly learn how the client’s business works, both at the business model and financials level, and at the cultural level. Great professionalism.’
GUT Distribution S.r.l. (Smemoranda Group)
Marktplaats B.V. (eBay Classifieds Group)
- Advising Wyscout on the sale of 100% of its share capital to Hudl, an American company operating worldwide in performance analysis related to sport.
- Assisting eBay Classifieds Group in Italy, which manages the Italian websites Kijiji.it and automobile.it, in several contractual, privacy, advertising and labour matters.
- Assisting Furla with data protections issues concerning its global CRM integration project, carried out to process customers’ personal data acquired by all the franchisees and local entities for profiling and marketing activities.
Morri Rossetti e Associati
Morri Rossetti e Associati focuses on advising Italian and foreign companies active in a wide range of industry sectors, including TMT, ICT, media and online advertising, on regulatory issues in connection to publishing and advertising online, privacy and data protection, telecoms, e-commerce and outsourcing, cybersecurity. The group also handles tax and M&A matters related to the TMT sector. Carlo Impalà heads the team.
RMC Sport Network S.r.l.
Geico S.p.A in Alliance with Taikisha Ltd
Confezioni Andrea Italia S.r.l.
Digital Cinema Advertising S.r.l.
Media Maker S.p.A.
- Assistance to Eat&Joy in. setting up a new smartphone application through which it is possible to subscribe to a meal plan that allows users to book and collect meals offered and prepared by restaurants, food service providers and chefs who collaborate with the client.
- Assistance to Taka in setting up a new smartphone application called “Play4Action” with regard to the regulatory issues concerning the relationship between operators and consumers, also drafting the terms and conditions of the service and relevant privacy documents.
- Advised RMC Sport Network on all contractual and corporate aspects concerning the sale of 65% of RMC by One Media Italy – company headed by Alberto Hazan – to Triboo Media.
R&P Legal is known for assisting start-ups and foreign companies launching TV channels in the Italian market on Italian and EU regulations and tax matters. Other clients include theatre companies, music publishers and film production companies, which the group advises on data protection and e-commerce matters. Francesca Lodigiani, Pier Luigi De Palma, Luca Egitto, Chiara Agostini and Paolo De Carlo are the key figures.
Francesca Lodigiani; Pier Luigi De Palma; Luca Egitto; Chiara Agostini; Paolo De Carlo
‘Complete assistance for several business areas. Willingness to work in urgent conditions. Ability to dialogue and willingness to collaborate with other law firms’
‘Very good knowledge of the subject matter.’
‘Francesca Lodigiani and her team are always timely, reliable, and effective’
NBC Universal Global Networks
Universal Pictures International
BIM Distribuzione Srl ( Wild Bunch S.A. Group)
Giuseppe Carnevali – Majority Shareholder of former Navionics SpA
- Acting as internal legal counsel to Universal Picture International in Italy on matters including production, distribution and acquisition of movies.
Trevisan & Cuonzo handles IP matters as well as providing technology advice relating to GDPR, privacy and protection and assistance with data and media law in relation to electronic publishing and multimedia licensing. Technology patents are a core focus of the team, which is led by Luca Trevisan, Gabriel Cuonzo and Vittorio Cerulli Irelli.
Luca Trevisan; Gabriel Cuonzo; Vittorio Cerullli Irelli
‘State-of-the-art firm, prepared and available for instructions on new and sensitive issues.’
‘Competent and reliable professionals as well as very fast in resolving doubts and problems related to communication, technologies, privacy etc.’
OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co. Ltd
- Representing OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co. in a complex patent infringement action brought by one of the most active patent assertion entities in Europe.
- Acting for Arm Limited in filing a trade mark opposition before the Italian Patent and Trademark Office against a trade mark application which is confusingly similar to the well-known mark “ARM”.