Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie has a broad TMT practice with a focus on telecoms and media. In the latter area, the firm assists top players and constantly gains new clients, including the recent addition of a leading technology company and a social media company. In the technology industry, the team had a particularly busy year in assisting clients who have implimented new digital business models. Francesca Gaudino oversees the traditional outsourcing, data privacy and compliance practice. Practice head Raffaele Giarda has a longstanding reputation as an ‘extremely competent and commercially-savvy professional’. Paolo Galli is a highly appreciated media expert and ‘one of the leading experts in copyright law in Italy’. Lorenzo de Martinis focuses on both transactional and contentious matters.
Firms in the Spotlight Industry focus: TMT
ICT Legal Consulting
ICT Legal Consulting is a one-stop-shop for all data-related needs. From adequate data collection and processing, to a correct handling of data breaches and deletion of data when no longer necessary, we help our clients to extract the greatest value possible out of their data.View Profile...
Industry focus: TMT in Italy
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Francesca Gaudino; Raffaele Giarda
Other key lawyers:
Paolo Galli; Lorenzo de Martinis
‘Raffaele Giarda has experience, professionalism and always follows the customer personally.’
‘Paolo Galli is a driven, commercial, knowledgeable and highly effective practitioner. His experience makes him particularly able to anticipate the needs of clients and communicate clearly, focusing on the issues of key concern. He is a tenacious negotiator and always gets a good – and often a great – deal for his clients.’
‘Deep knowledge not only of the telecommunications branch, but also of the new adjacent technologies and of the competitive scenario in Italy and abroad. Proactive in identifying customer needs and proposing ideas even before the customer expresses a specific need.’
‘Raffaele Giarda continues to maintain his more than twenty-year reputation as an extremely competent and commercial professional. It is always a pleasure to deal with him.’
‘Availability beyond expectations. Appropriate billing system and high flexibility.’
‘It is a tremendous pleasure to work with the B&M team. Raffaele Giarda: professionalism, creative approach and extremely friendly and warm attitude. His team is always a pleasure to work with on any complex legal and regulatory issues.’
‘Paolo Galli is a very acute and skilled lawyer in the field of copyright.’
‘The knowledge of TCM regulation is combined with a considerable knowledge of the technical instrumentation relating to the sector.’
A+E Networks Italia
Colt Technology Services
- Assistance to the TikTok Group in their relationships with major rights-holders and public authorities in Italy.
- Assisting Discovery and Eurosport with copyright and media law matters and with all the Group’s TV productions in Italy.
- Assisting Sky on copyright issues and on regulatory and commercial matters related to Sky WiFi.
DLA Piper is ‘a point of reference in the TMT area.’ The team’s success derives from the combination of the different experts including practice head and IP lawyer Gualtiero Dragotti and Alessandro Boso Caretta, who is considered a ‘true expert’ and ‘among the top lawyers in Italy’ in telecommunications, competition and regulations. Giulio Coraggio‘s knowledge of privacy and technology law is particularly appreciated, and Alessandro Ferrari stands out in the media and outsourcing area. Strong competition expertise completes the offering.
Other key lawyers:
‘Giulio Coraggio is a privacy expert. Vincenzo Giuffrè is a problem solver in the IT field.’
‘The team includes professionals with different seniorities, who are dynamic and have strong skills in the management of IT contracts. They are able to adapt quickly to customer requests, including the use of communication tools. Alessandro Boso Caretta stands out for his competence.’
‘The team is a point of reference in the TMT area. They are excellent, especially in the telecommunications field, for their in-depth knowledge of the market. They have great familiarity and the ability to provide, in a clear and transparent way, insights and guidance that create added value for the company. They are a smart and innovative team, well integrated, with which it is extremely easy to work. I also find the firm’s training initiatives and the attention they show to ESG issues very interesting.’
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta is a true expert in telecommunications, as well as in competition and regulation, among the top lawyers in Italy. He combines great technical preparation and authority, dedication and balance, with an extraordinary ability to immediately grasp the problem and propose effective solutions. The team is very well assorted and responsive, made up of capable, prepared and reliable professionals.’
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta: great competence in the regulatory and legal fields, combined with a high ability to understand the customer’s needs and a deep knowledge of the telecommunications sector.’
‘The firm stands out for being one of the most competent in the TLC sector and has notable successes both in the field of administrative litigation and in the field of civil and antitrust litigation.’
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta and his collaborators Bice di Sano and Massimo d’Andrea deserve a special mention for their considerable knowledge of the TLC sector, which stands out for its complexity and high technicalities. Boso Caretta and his team are able to manage this complexity thanks to their solid competence and many years of experience.’
World largest eCommerce platform
Vodafone and Vodafone Automotive
- Assisting Vodafone in some of the most prominent Tlc related projects and disputes, including a major victory against Fastweb in an unfair competition dispute for customer retention practices in the market for fixed communications.
- Assisting NTT Data on the digital transformation project relating to the creation of the national data management and e-learning platform of the whole Italian school system that will replace any existing third party vendors’ platform generating a single digital ecosystem for the management of relationships with students and parents, distance learning and the operation of Italian schools.
- Assisted the Assicurazioni Generali Group on a complex restructuring project: the launch of a transformation program aimed at improving Generali Group’s technology and IT performances, through the creation, together with a player in the IT industry (Accenture), of a new platform in charge of providing certain IT and transformation services to Generali Group companies.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
In Italy, Hogan Lovells International LLP has a large team of professionals who are entirely dedicated to TMT. Beyond the group's capability to act in internet and e-commerce matters, an ‘excellent specialist knowledge of TMT-related litigation' is also highlighted, especially regarding liability for internet intermediaries. Two stand-out clients in this sector are Tripadvisor and Youtube, both assisted by practice co-head Marco Berliri, who is described as ‘the guru of the online world'. Massimiliano Masnada, who focuses on IT litigation and online privacy, co-heads the department with him.
Marco Berliri; Massimiliano Masnada
‘Marco Berliri and Eugenia Gambarara have excellent industry experience. Their advice is practical and insightful.’
‘Timeliness and commitment in interpreting customer needs.’
‘Marco Berliri is an important point of reference for the management and pragmatic resolution of complicated TMT issues.’
‘Excellent specialist knowledge of TMT-related litigation in their jurisdiction, especially regarding liability for internet intermediaries.’
‘Marco Berliri is a pleasure to work with and dedicated to the cause. Michele Traversa is also recommended.’
‘Twenty years of experience in the sector; dynamism, attention to customer needs; ability to understand business.’
‘Marco Berliri is the guru of the online world, has enormous experience and is always able to anticipate the onset of legal risks and offer practical and viable solutions. Valerio Natale is a brilliant lawyer who combines a strong creativity with a solid knowledge of the subject.’
- Represented Google in a number of proceeding regarding COVID-19 disinformation and the spread of “fake news” which have established Google’s power to suspend or terminate accounts spreading inaccurate information about the pandemic.
- Represented YouTube in a number of proceeding regarding the liability of the platform for third parties’ content, as well as regulatory matters concerning the implementation of the AVMS and Copyright Directives in Italy.
- Represented Vinted in the launch of the Italian platform Vinted.it and in proceedings brought by the Italian consumer protection authority for an alleged unfair commercial practice.
Portolano Cavallo is described as 'an excellence' in the Italian media and telecommunications landscape, 'a point of reference' in the media sector and as 'the best choice for regulatory matters.’ The department is the go-to option in particular for TV channels and streaming services, which are the historical focus of the firm. Ernesto Apa focuses on the digital, media and telecoms market, Laura Liguori is responsible for the technology sector, and Francesco Portolano is an expert of TMT transactions. The group co-heads the team. Donata Cordone is noted.
Ernesto Apa; Laura Liguori; Francesco Portolano
Other key lawyers:
‘Portolano Cavallo is an excellence in the Italian legal landscape for the media and telecommunications sectors. The firm knows how to combine a high professional profile with a strong ability and aptitude for innovation.’
‘Francesco Portolano and Ernesto Apa are great. Apa stands out for his professional preparation, his aptitude for systematic and in-depth study, his independence of judgment.’
‘Ernesto Apa is an excellent, competent and pragmatic professional like few others and leads an efficient team.’
‘Ernesto Apa – high standing of the skills, availability and flexibility in providing assistance in a professional and rapid way.’
‘Ernesto Apa has deep knowledge of sector legislation and always provides timely and precise answers.’
‘The Firm is unique for its ability to understand the business, analyse new cases, and effectively support at a strategic level with specific sector expertise.’
‘All professionals have a multidisciplinary approach that allows them to identify issues regardless of the area of specialization.’
Bird & Bird's TMT team includes professionals from different departments and with multiple specialisms. The group is particularly renowned for the expertise in the communications sector, in which it particularly excels in regulatory and commercial matters, M&A and also disputes; Telecom Italia is a flagship client, assisted by head of the media area Giovanni Galimberti. Massimiliano Mostardini co-heads the IP team with him. Arturo Leone and Federico Marini Balestra 'demonstrate particularly high professionalism and relevant experience.’ Regulation and public law expert Simone Cadeddu provides ‘excellent support.’
‘Availability and ability to quickly understand complex technical issues in a constantly evolving context and in a previously unexplored sector.’
‘Arturo Leone – subject matter expert with many years of experience but with the enthusiasm of a young person in dealing with complex issues.’
‘Excellent internal organization. High quality of the support provided.’
‘Excellent support by Simone Caddeddu.’
‘Competence, availability and attention to the customer are the key strengths.’
‘Arturo Leone and Federico Marini Balestra demonstrate particularly high professionalism and relevant experience.’
- Assisting Telecom Italia in connection with a complex Article 102 case involving investments in new networks.
- Assisting Telecom Italia Sparkle in a contract negotiating with Google for the indefeasible right of use (IRU) swap of submarine cables across the Americas.
- Assisting Telecom Italia in connection with the appeal vs. “free modem” rules intended to make customers switches easier.
Chiomenti derives its capabilities to assist in TMT matters from drawing expertise from other departments, especially from the knowledge of regulation experts. In the media and publishing sectors, the team is particularly apt in handling regulatory matters and providing day-to-day commercial advice, while also being strongly positioned in the context of telecom transactions. In the latter field, practice head Gilberto Nava is particularly sought out. Counsel Giulio Vecchi is highlighted.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great competence in various TMT areas and good balance of service quality and rates.’
‘Giulio Vecchi stands out for his competence and for his ability to understand the dynamics of the corporate customer.’
‘Professionalism and clarity.’
‘Professionalism, competence and availability, with a business-oriented approach.’
‘The team is made up of highly trained and experienced professionals in their field of reference and supported by other departments to address even the most complex and multidisciplinary issues at 360 degrees. Collaboration, even in the most complex cases, is simple and with extreme attention to detail.’
The Friedkin Group (A.S. Roma)
De Agostini Editore
- Providing full range assistance to Kohlberg Kravis Robert in relation to its investments in the acquisition of certain assets related to the secondary fixed access network of Telecom Italia S.p.A. across the whole Italian territory and some related assets, including the stake of Telecom in Flash Fiber.
- Advising Discovery Group in relation to the participation in the tender procedures launched by the Italian Football League (Serie A) for the acquisition of the audio-visual rights for the next 3 seasons of the Italian Serie A Championship and a call for expression of interest for the deployment of a Lega Serie A thematic channel.
- Advising several companies within the Feltrinelli Group with respect to regulatory and copyright issues.
In the TMT space, Gianni & Origoni focuses on media, spanning from copyright to antitrust law and regulation, as well as privacy and data protection matters. Transactional advice is at the centre of the firm’s offering, the team having acted in numerous deals, especially in the telecom and optical fibre industry. Francesco Gianni and Nino Di Bella act as co-heads of the department. Luca Rinaldi concentrates his practice around the sport, film and TV production sector. ICT, privacy and cybersecurity expert Stefano Mele joined the team in April 2021 from Carnelutti.
Francesco Gianni; Nino Di Bella
‘Best Italian firm for its ability to manage US clients. Much more practical and business-oriented than the other major firm in Milan and Rome.’
‘Luca Rinaldi is a top TMT/ media lawyer, with great knowledge of the local market.’
Analytics Network s.r.l
European Connecting Europe Broadband Fund (CEBF)
Gellify Digital Investment Srl
Telecom Italia S.p.A (TIM S.p.A.)
Analytics Network s.r.l
European Connecting Europe Broadband Fund (CEBF)
Gellify Digital Investment Srl
Telecom Italia S.p.A (TIM S.p.A.)
- Assisting Telecom Italia S.p.A. in relation to the sale of a 37.5% stake in FiberCop to the US-based private equity company KKR.
- Assisting Sky Group in its EU multiyear integration deal with Amazon.
- Assisting BNP Paribas, Société Générale Unicredit, EIB, CDP and a pool of approximately additional 10 lenders in a transaction for the amendment, increase and restatement of the approximately Euro 3.5 Billion financing granted in 2018 to Open Fiber for the development of an ultra-broadband network and related fiber optic infrastructures in Italy.
Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati is confirmed as a strong TMT advisor, especially for top-market companies from the internet and e-commerce sectors, while the team also has strong capabilities in the IT outsourcing, TV and entertainment, telecom and gaming industries. The breadth of the practice consolidates the firm’s ‘absolute excellence’ in this sector. Domenico Colella, heads up the practice and is recognized as ‘a leader in the technology sector in Italy and abroad‘. IP and TMT disputes are handled by Fabrizio Sanna. Associate Silvia Ciardiello is singled out for her ‘technical skills and availability.’
Other key lawyers:
Fabrizio Sanna; Silvia Ciardiello
‘Deep knowledge of the technology and digital industry. Orsingher Ortu’s lawyers are partners of their clients’ businesses.’
‘Domenico Colella combines technical competence with a creative and business-oriented approach.’
‘The Firm has the ability to identify and satisfy all clients’ needs. High level of competence in contractual drafting and negotiations, as well as in the management of litigation.’
‘Domenico Colella is a skilled negotiator and has a high level of expertise in IT, partnership and reseller contracts. Fabrizio Sanna is very competent on issues relating to the protection of IP. Giuseppe Mazzaglia is a very skilled litigator and has given a notable contribution in the conclusion with a favourable outcome of litigation and pre-litigation cases.’
‘The firm offers a 360-degree consultancy, always keeping in mind the customer’s needs from the business point of view, thus managing to be a partner rather than a consultant. Furthermore, fees are always very competitive. Domenico Colella is always available and ready to provide the requested support even on very challenging deadlines.’
‘Orsingher Ortu represents absolute excellence in this sector. The firm’s professionals are able to tackle frontier issues from a legal point of view, which often do not find a clear solution in the law.’
‘Domenico Colella is a recognized leader in the technology sector in Italy and abroad. His negotiating skills are very effective, as well as the flexibility and competence in understanding the peculiarities of individual transactions. Silvia Ciardiello is recommended for her technical skills and availability. Fabrizio Sanna always proves to be decisive in an impeccable, innovative and available way.’
ITV Global Entertainment Limited
Tagetik (software house belonging to Wolters Kluwer group)
Borsa Italiana (Italian Stock Exchange)
The Walt Disney Company
- Advised Amazon on a number of contentious, non-contentious and regulatory matters pertaining to the client’s core businesses.
- Advised The Walt Disney Company on a number of contractual, copyright, trademarks, media, regulatory and litigation matters.
- Advised SKY Studios on the launch of its Italian business
BonelliErede recently started a cross-practice team with a digital innovation focus, headed up by Tommaso Faelli. Data and cybersecurity, analysis of business models and tax-related issues are a significant part of the service offering, which also includes insurtech and fintech advice on the topics of digital lending, crowdfunding, big data, algorithms, and virtual currencies. The firm is highly engaged with startups, providing legal assistance in TMT matters but also mentoring via the B Heroes project.
‘The Bonelli firm has an internal organization and a quality of answers that are difficult to find in other competitors.’
‘Great competence and availability.’
- Advised Talend Garden in the negotiation of the terms and conditions of the investment made in the company by CDP Venture Capital SGR – Fondo Nazionale Innovazione and GAMA.
- Advised P101 and Azimut in the signing of an agreement to launch a European-wide financial hub aimed at becoming the main reference point for the innovation sector.
CMS‘ technology, media and communications global practice comprises two Italian offices, one in Rome, led by Italo de Feo, and one in Milan under the leadership of Paolo Scarduelli. Both teams are highly specialized on matters relating to IT, data privacy and commercial law and particularly stand out in the healthcare and telecom sectors, with an emphasis on telemedicine and solutions for start-ups and SMEs. Matia Campo ‘is very fast, flexible and always able to suggest the best legal assistance related to the subject at hand.’
Italo De Feo; Paolo Scarduelli
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is made up of highly competent people capable of finding business-oriented legal solutions.’
‘The professionals are extremely helpful and always reachable in case of urgency.’
‘Professional competence and customer orientation.’
‘Italo de Feo – punctual and pragmatic support with appreciable speed and flexibility in providing solutions and assistance. Mariangela Selvaggiuolo – accuracy and punctuality in the preparation of legal documents and in the management of problems related to the area of expertise’.
‘Absolute and undoubted competence of Italo de Feo and his team.’
‘Italo de Feo stands out for its professionalism but also for its fairness towards collaborators and customers.’
‘The firm and in particular Matia Campo are always ready to answer any question in a short time and allowing a type of invoicing that is far more convenient if compared to other law firms of equal / similar rank.’
‘Matia Campo is very fast, flexible and always able to suggest the best legal assistance related to the subject at hand. Highly recommended!’
Corriere dello Sport/Tuttosport
Warner Chappell Music
Mr. Alex Knaster/Pisa Calcio
Corriere dello Sport/Tuttosport
Warner Chappell Music
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo in the drafting and negotiation of the cloud services agreements signed with TIM and Google.
- Advising the Italian headquartered digital toll-road payment company, Telepass, on its concession agreements in Italy and in other European countries and on the launch of its services in several European countries, including Switzerland Germany, Hungary, Belgium, France, Poland and Austria.
- Assisting TIM Ventures in different investments in start-ups and other companies offering innovative products and services.
Dentons has a ‘great, competent and helpful’ TMT team, which focuses on matters in connection to the internet of things, cybersecurity, and digital media. Giangiacomo Olivi, who acts as Europe co-head of the data privacy and cybersecurity group and is a member of the firm’s IP and technology practice, is recognised as ‘an authority in the sector’ of data protection, data management and GDPR law. Chiara Bocchi ‘consistently manages complex matters in a thoughtful way and navigates the tricky dynamics’ of the e-commerce, automotive and fashion sectors, in both contentious and non-contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
You always have the feeling of having people who help you and not just “cold” professionals. This makes a huge difference in comparison to other law firms.’
‘Giangiacomo Olivi is a certainty. He takes care of customers and makes the difference, especially in the most critical activities. Chiara Bocchi: a professional who is growing a lot with a deep competence, with constant availability, punctuality and enthusiasm.’
‘High ethical standard, ability to create stable relationships. Empathy and willingness to meet requests.’
‘Two individuals especially stand out. First, Giangiacomo Olivi is incredibly responsive, very familiar with both U.S. and Italian law, and has a wide swath of expertise to address our issues in several legal areas. Second, senior Associate Chiara Bocchi is also a stand-out. She consistently manages complex matters in a thoughtful way and navigates tricky dynamics.’
‘The team is made up of young, qualified and extremely motivated professionals, careful to keep up with regulatory changes and jurisprudential practices.’
‘Push towards innovation, aptitude for change, ability to enhance associates. All combined with solid competence and knowledge of the telecommunications sector.’
‘Giangiacomo Olivi is competent and available. Chiara Bocchi: a solid associate, competent and available.’
GEDI Gruppo Editoriale
The Student Hotel
- Assisting Coima in relation to the technology set-up of one of the main smart city projects in Europe.
- Assisting Eutelsat, European satellite operator with a powerful fleet of satellites serving users across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas, on various strategic matters.
- Assisting the national consortium for the online audience survey Audiweb with the creation of a unified audience measurement system in Italy.
Gallavotti Bernardini & Partners has a longstanding tradition in the sport, cinema, TV and media fields. It is known for its activity in day-by-day commercial matters, including the organisation and financing of international events, regulations and sponsorship and procurement agreements, as well as its ‘extreme specialization on niche topics’. It has a strong international reach and assists foreign studio with matters relating to licences, film rights and development, and new digital services. Antonio Bernardini, who heads the practice, focuses on content, digital rights and related technologies, among other areas. Chiara Dellacasa has ‘specific experience in the cinema sector’.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm has longstanding tradition and competence.’
‘Very high technical and legal competence and excellent interpersonal skills. Extreme specialization on niche topics, combined with an understanding of general dynamics, even complex ones. Ability to find solutions which are consistent with context and objectives. Main references: Carlo Gallavotti and Chiara Dellacasa.’
‘In the media sector and in particular in the audiovisual sector, they are at a level of absolute excellence. Always up-to-date and proactive, they are a fundamental aid for supporting the client.’
‘Antonio Bernardini fully and effectively oversees the entire strategic area of the national and international media, thanks to the experience gained over the years in this sector. Chiara Della Casa has a fundamental specific expertise in the cinema sector, also in the field of relations with public authorities.’
‘Stefano La Porta manages to combine his extreme professional competence with a promptness in responses and a cordiality that is not easy to find in other professionals.’
‘Very competent on matters of our corporate interest, entertainment, copyright, competition, regulatory, but also on other issues of more generic importance (contractual / negotiation, privacy, …). Always timely and available.’
‘Competence, availability, flexibility, legal approach but with attention to the business.’
Italian Football Federation (FIGC)
Turner Broadcasting, a Warner Media Group company
Warner Bros Entertainment Italia, a Warner Media company Sony Pictures Entertainment
Medusa Film, a Mediaset Group company
RTI, a Mediaset Group company
ANICA – National Association of the Cinema, Audio-visual and Multimedia Industry. Warner Bros Entertainment Italia, a Warner Media company
Italian Interactive Digital Entertainment Association
Natixis Coficiné S.A.Italian Interactive Digital Entertainment Association
International Padel Federation Natixis Coficiné S.A.
Sofisport Srl Rome Tennis Academy
International Padel Federation
- Assisted the Danish football agency in the transfer of the Danish player Joakim Mahele to the Serie A club Atalanta.
- Advised the tennis academy founded by Vincenzo Santopadre, coach of tennis champion, world No. 8, Matteo Berrettini.
- Advised HeART on the incubation, development and launch of new revolutionary idea of social platforms and community devoted to talents, performers and art lovers, to overcome the complex COVID period.
Osborne Clarke‘s Italian TMT team has a solid reputation, especially in media, a sector in which the firm has niche expertise in a number of fields, including music and music copyright, advertising, social media marketing and video gaming. Practice head Gianluigi Marino is ‘always up to date with regulatory but also technological innovations’. Federico Ferrara, Alessandra Corigliano and Marialaura Boni are ‘excellent business partners.’
‘Highly skilled team, backed by consolidated experience in the technological sector. In this context, the department of media technology provides the highest quality legal assistance.’
‘Gianluigi Marino is a highly experienced professional who assists with great professionalism in many areas, including negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements with foreign subjects.’
‘Federico Ferrara is an extremely competent lawyer and attentive to the client’s needs, always available and promoter of interesting initiatives. Gianluigi Marino: great competence (especially in matters of wide economic scope and with international aspects) and availability.’
‘Gianluigi Marino is the reference partner for the activities commissioned to the firm. He is always up to date with regulatory but also technological innovations, available and punctual. Angelo Molinaro is very good, competent and scrupulous. Super patient and very passionate!’
‘The team works in a group with well-defined dynamics, clarity of language and a super professional, flexible and productive approach. Federico Ferrara, Alessandra Corigliano and Marialaura Boni are excellent business partners. Always reachable.’
‘Osborne Clarke is a reliable firm in the fields of new technology and privacy, with competitive fees. The team is made up of collaborators with very different experiences that allow an all-encompassing vision of the subject ranging from intellectual property, to copyright, to privacy and to the study always at the forefront of every aspect of the issues to be addressed.’
‘Federico Ferrara always pays great attention to his clients. Informed about current practices, he actively participates in every request. The team made up of Alessandra Corigliano and Marialaura Boni is prepared, loyal and proactive.’
‘Gianluigi Marino shows leadership throughout all matters, always providing strategic advice and providing comfort that the matter was in good hands. He uses connections to gain insights about what regulations and political changes may be coming down the road.’
Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A / SM Publishing (Italy) S.r.l.
APA – Associazione Produttori Audiovisivi
Facebook Ireland Ltd
Integral Ad Science Inc.
Costim S.r.l. (Chorus Life S.p.A.)
Uber Inc. and Uber B.V.
Dplay Entertainment Ltd
Wireless Logic Ltd
PDU Music & Productions S.A.
Avanti Communication Limited / Avanti Broadband Limited
Havas Milan S.r.l.
Red Matter Limited
- Advising Chorus Life, an innovative, environmentally sustainable ‘smart city’ project taking shape in the heart of Bergamo, on issues connected with its bespoke, IT platform currently being jointly developed in partnership with Microsoft, Siemens and Gewiss SpA – including assisting with drafting IT and licensing contracts and shaping the data protection governance structure.
- Assisting Sony Music in a complex and legally significant claim against Edizioni Musicali Acqua Azzurra and three other defendants for damages resulting from their unlawful actions which, Sony claims, jeopardised its ability to exploit its rights in the original recordings of a series of tracks by Lucio Battisti – one of the most popular Italian singer-songwriters of the 1960s and 70s.
- Assisting UCI Cinemas, the leading operator of multiplexes in Italy, with its Covid 19 strategy, including the renegotiation of the terms of all of its leases, managing the return of five multiplexes let by the Giometti group, and handling the settlement of disputes, as well as assisting UCI Italia in preparing an innovative agreement with its employees that enables them to act as Brand Ambassadors for the Company through its social networks.
Heading ADVANT Nctm‘s TMT department, Vittorio Noseda is considered ‘one of the top TMT lawyers in Europe.’ The team is highly engaged in TMT M&A transactions, which belong to its core activities, as well as projects, investments, outsourcing and regulatory issues. The telecom sector is its main focus, with a client portfolio which includes several high-calibre, national and international players.
‘Excellent team. Very fast. Great quality and great availability. Excellent jurists.’
‘Vittorio Noseda is one of the top TMT lawyers in Europe. He knows the industry very well and has truly exceptional analytical skills.’
‘Excellent combination of excellent technical skills and speed in response.’
‘Great competence of the team led by Vittorio Noseda in the M&A field and in-depth knowledge of the telecommunications sector, including the technical aspects of network operation. Ability to manage large corporate operations, from a multidisciplinary point of view. Flexible fees.’
‘Vittorio Noseda: great capacity for strategic vision and support in delicate risk assumption and mitigation decisions.’
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
Sony Interactive Entertaiment Italia S.p.A.
Wind 3 S.p.A.
- Assisting British Telecom in relation to the sale of two different business units of BT Italia that offer services to the Public Administration and to Small Medium Business to TIM.
- Assisting Sony Interactive Entertainment Italia in legal and contractual advice, including the negotiation and the drafting of the relevant agreements, needed for the preparation, development and the execution of the commercial launch of Sony’s brand new “PlayStation 5” videogame console in Italy and for all the related brand promotion and sponsorship activities.
- Assisting Pioneer NV in relation to the sale of their Italian branch dedicated to audio products and multimedia systems for cars and present for 40 years in our market to MPA Tech S.r.l.
Cugia Cuomo & Associati
At Cugia Cuomo & Associati, TMT practice head Fabrizio Cugia di Sant’Orsola and data protection head Silvia Giampaolo especially stand out for their knowledge of the telecoms sector. Additionally, the team also advises media companies on regulatory compliance, cybersecurity, big data and privacy. Cugia di Sant’Orsola’s expertise in WTO and EU communications law draws international clients to the firm, including automotive companies seeking assistance with matters relating to machine to machine communication, among others.
Fabrizio Cugia di Sant’Orsola
Other key lawyers:
‘Cugia Cuomo have great industry knowledge and are appreciated for working hard to understand the practical background of the questions they are tasked with.’
SpaceX Inc. and Starlink Internet Services Limited
Numero Blu Servizi s.p.a
SpaceX Inc. and Starlink Internet Services Limited
Numero Blu Servizi s.p.a
- Assisting SpaceX and its Irish entity, Starlink Internet Services Limited, on the Italian telecommunication regulatory framework for the launch of internet service in the Italian market.
- Assisting Compatel Ltd on the Italian telecommunication regulatory framework for the launch of its “alias service” in the Italian market.
- Assisting Infobip s.r.l. on the Italian telecommunication regulatory framework for the launch of its “alias service” in the Italian market.
ICT Legal Consulting‘s service offering is completely dedicated to data and technology. The firm has a wide international presence and covers information and communication technology, privacy, data protection and security, and intellectual property law in a vast number of industry sectors. Paolo Balboni is an expert in privacy, cybersecurity, and IT contract law. He jointly leads the practice with Luca Bolognini which has offices in Milan, Bologna and Rome.
Paolo Balboni; Luca Bolognini
Other key lawyers:
‘The best cyber and data protection firm currently on the market.’
‘Paolo Balboni and Luca Bolognini are among the leading experts in the sector. In this context, a customer is not looking for a full service firm, but someone who knows how to give precise answers on what can be done with data and technology. They are able to give it.’
‘Ability to identify technical and strategic solutions on a European basis.’
‘Professional ethics, competence, availability in emergencies.’
‘High professionalism, continuous updating on tech issues to be able to offer legal support with strong tech content.’
Agos Ducato S.p.A
AID – Associazione Italiana Dislessia
Amissima Vita S.p.A.
Amnesty International – Sezione Italiana OdV
Area Science Park – Trieste
Axpo Italia S.p.A.
Banijay Italia S.p.A.
Bending Spoons S.p.A.
BNL BNP Paribas
Bper Banca S.p.A.
Brunello Cucinelli S.p.A.
Centro Stampa Poligrafici S.r.l.
Coop Italia Soc. Coop.
CRC-Evans Offshore Limited
Crédit Agricole Assicurazioni S.p.A.
Crédit Agricole Italia S.p.A. (Cariparma)
Dedalus S.p.A. (Dedalus Group)
Editoriale Nazionale S.r.l.
Emiliana Grandi Alberghi S.p.A.
Endemol Shine Italy S.p.A.
Engineering – Ingegneria Informatica S.p.A.
Eridania Italia S.p.A.
Fabbri Holding Industriale S.p.A.
F.I.S. Fabbrica Italiana Sintetici S.p.A.
Fondazione ANT Italia Onlus
Frigel Firenze S.p.A.
Friul Intagli Industries S.p.A.
Giochi Preziosi S.p.A.
Grandi Navi Veloci S.p.A.
Laerdal Italia S.r.l.
Meta System S.p.A.
Micys Company S.p.A.
MSC Cruises SA
OCF Organismo di Vigilanza e Tenuta dell’albo unico dei Consulenti Finanziari
Poste Italiane S.p.A.
Prima Assicurazioni S.p.A.
Progress Consultant S.r.l.
Salvatore Ferragamo S.p.A.
Samsung Electronics Italia S.p.A.
Sapio Produzione Idrogeno Ossigeno S.r.l.
Sara Assicurazioni S.p.A.
SGS Italia S.p.A.
SISAC – Struttura Interregionale Sanitari Convenzionati
Soft Strategy S.p.A.
Tper – Trasporto Passeggeri Emilia-Romagna S.p.A.
Trevi Finanziaria Industriale S.p.A.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Università Campus Bio-Medico di Roma
Value Retail Management Italy S.r.l.
Veterfar Fossano S.r.l.
Virgin Active Italia S.p.A.
Vorwerk Italia S.a.s. di Vorkwerk Management S.r.l.
Welcome Travel Group S.p.A.
- Assisting the Italian affiliates of Banijay Group, one of the largest international producers and distributors of content, on issues related to data management in the context of TV productions, such as the definition of procedures on personal data management in the context of casting and auditions, the drafting of contractual agreements with artistic resources in regard to the processing of their personal data, and assistance in the management of claims and complaints received in regard to the business activities.
- Assisting the Dedalus Group, the leading healthcare and diagnostic software provider in Europe and one of the largest in the world, to centrally coordinate, guide, and harmonize the legal aspects related to data governance activities at the global level for the entire group.
- Assisting Samsung Electronics Italia S.p.A. with respect to criminal and administrative liability, also known as 231 Administrative liability in Italy.
In the TMT sector, LCA Studio Legale assists clients with its day-to-day activities as well as extraordinary transactions and litigation, especially in connection to data protection and cybersecurity. Digital marketing and advertising and related policies, agreements and licences, complete the offering. Andrea Messuti has ‘exceptional experience’ in M&A and tech investment operations; Gianluca De Cristofaro and Edoardo Calcaterra are praised for their ‘insights in the industry’ and ‘very direct and smart approach’, respectively. The trio lead the practice.
Edoardo Calcaterra; Gianluca De Cristofaro; Andrea Messuti
‘Exceptional professionalism and depth of skills. Andrea Messuti makes a difference because he is far-sighted, has an exceptional experience in M&A and tech investment operations, solves problems with competence, understands the people and cases to be addressed, and is able to explain situations in a kind but direct and concrete way. Flavia Visco is careful and precise in addition to being polite and interested in the good and satisfactory outcome of the operations.’
‘Francesco de Rugeriis and Gianluca De Cristofaro: competence, availability and passion, expressed at a high level.’
‘LCA definitely has a very smart, fast business approach with direct contact with professionals. They are very willing to meet the budget needs of the client, demonstrating great flexibility also in the billing methods. Compared to other law firms, the approach is less formal and faster.’
‘Gianluca De Cristofaro is a professional who balances competence, informality and speed of response with a very direct and smart approach.’
‘Edoardo Calcaterra shows great ability to understand business needs and gives appropriate legal responses that as practical as they are legally sound. Very much recommended!’
‘Edoardo Calcaterra and his team are helpful, proactive and straightforward in their counselling, with an ability to look into a lot of documents in a short time.’
‘Edoardo Calcaterra knows the insights of the industry and has an innate ability and a strong attitude to advise companies using the same “vocabulary” of the business.’
‘The lawyers De Cristofaro, Messuti and De Rugeriis are competent, available and always up to date on regulatory and jurisprudential news.’
AC Milan S.p.A.
GTT Communications Inc
Smemoranda Group S.p.A.
Golden Goose S.p.A.
Marktplaats B.V. (eBay Classifieds Group)
Olinda SAS (Qonto)
- Assisting AC Milan S.p.A. regarding an innovative season ticketing mechanism to be implemented through a specific online platform owned, managed and monitored by AC Milan, and a special membership card (similar to a prepaid card) to be provided to the fan.
- Assisting Marktplaats B.V. (eBay Classifieds Group) in drafting and reviewing several commercial, advertising, web content, subscription and partnership agreements in relations to the websites automobile.it and Kijiji.it, which are managed by the client.
- Advising Golden Goose on a day-to-day basis in defining every legal aspect in relation to the development and regulation of an omnichannel commerce project and its implementation on a global scale.
Legance – Avvocati Associati‘s TMT department focuses on three core areas. Firstly, the team is highly specialized in regulatory inter-operator disputes and regulatory proceedings before the Italian Communication Authority. Secondly, it negotiates and drafts complex deals in the audiovisual sector and provides marketing and communication advice. Finally, it handles infringements of rules on unfair commercial practices. All these areas belong to practice head Valerio Mosca‘s key specialisms.
‘The TMT team provides excellent advice, backed up by technical knowledge of the sector and ability to understand business needs.’
‘Valerio Mosca is an outstanding professional, providing excellent quality work, appropriate opinions and capability to obtain the best legal results. He identifies the most appropriate strategies to manage difficult situations and to solve the legal issues, also with a pragmatic approach and taking into account the business needs of the client’s company.’
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Charme Capital Partners SGR S.p.A.
GSO Capital Partners (The Blackstone Group)
Iliad Italia S.p.A.
Nexi S.p.A. and Mercury UK HoldCo Limited
Sumo Logic Inc.
MONDINI BONORA GINEVRA Studio Legale combines the TMT knowledge of the firms Mondini Rusconi, Bonora e Associati and Rapisardi e Ginevra Avvocati Associati, which merged in early 2021. Mondini Rusconi was particularly strong in copyright work for the entertainment sector. Here Silvia Mondini, whose expertise covers TV rights and new media, web platforms and social networks, is one of the key figures together with Giorgio Mondini. The duo head the practice.
Silvia Mondini; Giorgio Mondini
‘Ability to understand the client’s business needs and consequently to propose legal solutions in support of the business. This is an uncommon feature because other law firms often tend to impose standard solutions that are not always instrumental to the client’s business.’
‘Silvia Mondini is very prompt in replying and available when requested by the customer.’
‘Mondini Bonora Ginevra is characterized by a close-knit and highly specialized team, in which the specific skills of the individuals complement each other, offering the client both a precious overview of the macro-subject and an in-depth focus on the individual issues that are part of it and interest the customer. Compared to other firms, one can appreciate the constant, diligent and patient availability for comparison, often with the confirmation of telephone appointments for urgent clarification even within the same day as the request received by the client.’
‘The specific experience in the sector, combined with the multidisciplinary approach, is a great asset. Ability to relate in international contexts.’
‘Silvia Mondini: competence, promptness with which she approaches the problem, ability to dialogue with interlocutors of various kinds and backgrounds and ability to know how to work as a team when the situation requires one.’
Feltrinelli Education S.r.l.
Notorious Pictures S.p.a.
Velux Italia S.p.a.
Kora Sistemi Informatici
Show Bees S.r.l.
Nexo Digital S.r.l.
Ponderosa Music & Arts S.r.l.
Lotterie Nazionali S.r.l.
- Assisted Feltrinelli Education S.r.l., a company of the Feltrinelli group, one of the most important Italian book publishing company, in the launch of Italy’s first digital platform for lifelong learning for authors.
- Assisting Univideo in a proceeding brought against the most representative associations in the video sector and SIAE before AGCM, the Italian antitrust authority.
- Assisted Nexo Digital S.r.l. in the launch of its online platform for the streaming of films, documentaries, operas, ballets, concerts, series and television programmes.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP provides TMT advice through a team with highly differentiated specialisms and a focus on antitrust and competition law. Mario Siragusa, who moved from the Brussels to the Rome office in late 2020, is also skilled as a regulation lawyer. Marco D’Ostuni additionally covers data, telecoms and media, while Matteo Beretta stands out for his cartel and abuse of dominant position advice. Vivendi, Sky Italia and Telecom Italia are among the main clients.
Other key lawyers:
Mario Siragusa; Marco D’Ostuni; Matteo Beretta
‘Accountability and analytical skills.’
‘Ferdinando Emanuele is one of the best litigators on the market and the team, including Mario Siragusa and Marco D’Ostuni, is formidable’
Telecom Italia – TIM
Asterion Industrial Partners
- Assisting Vivendi in a number of proceedings in its legal battle against Mediaset.
- Assisted Asterion Industrial Partners, an independent private equity firm focused on investments in European mid-market infrastructure companies, in the acquisitions that resulted in Marbles, a vehicle controlled by the Asterion fund, holding approximately 29% of the share capital of Retelit, becoming its largest shareholder.
- Assisted Telecom Italia – TIM in an arbitration proceeding that Brazilian businessmen and funds brought for over USD 15 billion.
Pavia e Ansaldo is highlighted for its competition and compliance-related work for telecom clients. Recently, it stood out for representing a client in a high-profile dispute regarding 5G frequencies, led by Marco Giustiniani. He acts together with Stefano Bianchi as team head.
Stefano Bianchi; Marco Giustiniani
‘Excellent firm with great international standing. Enrico del Guerra is an excellent lawyer of the highest calibre.’
Italglobal Partners S.r.l.
Lectra GroupLinkem S.p.A.
Odeon Cinemas Group
Synchronoss Technologies, Inc.
Wise Tech Global
Telequest & Internet Solutions GmbH
Four Telecom Services GmbH & Co KG
- Advising London-based private equity house H.I.G. Europe on its acquisition of a controlling stake in leading Italian IT company Project Informatica.
- Assisting GPI, a leading healthcare focused IT company, with its acquisition of leading Spanish healthcare technology company Hemasoft Software S.L.
- Advising an Austrian telecoms company Four Telecom Services GmbH & Co KG on domiciliation issues and registration in the Register of Communication Operators (ROC) as an operator authorized to offer voice services as a reseller and mobile virtual network operator.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons draws strength from a multi-practice, international network and profound knowledge of the Italian TMT market. Edoardo Tedeschi, who leads the team, is highly involved in assisting clients with their digitalisation strategies and with extraordinary transactions. Associate Alessandra Bianchi completes the team.
Other key lawyers:
Bridgestone Europe NV/SA
Axyon AI S.r.l.
BlackRock Investment Management
Thoughtworks Holding Ltd.
Salvatore Ferragamo S.p.A.
PCCW Global BW
Gateway Global Communications LTD
China Telecom Europe LTD
Sitel Europe LTD
Forequest Italia Srl
A/S Tasso Odense
Trevisan & Cuonzo has a ‘multidisciplinary team able to deal with all aspects of technological-legal matters.’ The team is particularly apt at managing privacy and digital development matters, as well as regulation, compliance, e-commerce, data protection and general commercial matters. Luca Trevisan and Gabriel Cuonzo lead the Milan-based team; Vittorio Cerulli Irelli is their counterpart in Rome.
Luca Trevisan; Gabriel Cuonzo; Vittorio Cerullli Irelli
‘Multidisciplinary team able to deal with all aspects of technological-legal matters.’
‘Giulia Affer: excellent hard and soft skills.’
‘Although the team is small, the performance is excellent, which makes it cost-effective for a client.’
‘Gabriel Cuonzo is excellent. He has a precise insight and is a tough negotiator.’
OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co. Ltd
OnePlus Technology Co., Ltd.
- Representing OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co. in a complex patent infringement action brought by one of the most active patent assertion entities in Europe.
- Representing Sony Mobile in proceedings before the Italian Supreme Administrative Court.
- Assisting ARM Limited in filing a trademark opposition before the Italian Patent and Trademark Office against a trademark application which is confusingly similar to the well-known trademark ‘ARM’.