The TMT department at Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie has been particularly active in the technology sector, notably handling the full spectrum of legal issues pertaining to AI. The practice also has expertise in technology disputes and routinely assists social media and IT platforms and advises clients in the insurance, finance and banking arenas on digital services. Francesca Gaudino is knowledgeable of data protection and security issues and oversees multi-jurisdictional projects for the implementation of online platforms. Raffaele Giarda supports regional and global clients in the wireline, mobile and satellite sectors with electronic communication network and service matters. Lorenzo De Martinis is a key name for technology disputes.
Firms in the Spotlight Industry focus: TMT
ICT Legal Consulting
ICT Legal Consulting is a one-stop-shop for all data-related needs. From adequate data collection and processing, to a correct handling of data breaches and deletion of data when no longer necessary, we help our clients to extract the greatest value possible out of their data.View Profile...
Industry focus: TMT in Italy
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Francesca Gaudino; Raffaele Giarda
Other key lawyers:
Lorenzo De Martinis
‘The team is very competent and always reliable. The fact that the firm has direct contact with the regulatory authorities is a plus.’
‘They regularly arrange meetings to go deeper into specific topics, this is really appreciated.’
‘The firm has an excellent team, they are experts in many fields of new technology laws, I have always appreciated their capability to assist clients and their deep knowledge of the media and ICT sector.’
Industries SpA – Moncler Group
Colt Technology Services
- Advised the Moncler Group on a strategic project to in-source its online digital activities worldwide.
- Advised Sky Italia on a wide spectrum of legal matters, such as IP, media, advertising, etc and in some crucial litigation involving various copyright issues.
The sizeable team at DLA Piper routinely assists clients with NFT and AI projects, and has been engaged on assisting e-sports as well as leading domestic gambling clients with compliance matters. Alessandro Boso Caretta advises on transactional and contentious matters and is knowledgeable of class actions, regulatory disputes, and unfair commercial practices. Giulio Coraggio is noted for advising on significant cybersecurity attacks, while Alessandro Ferrari is proficient in commercial, IT and IP contracts, and associate Giulia Zappaterra is an expert in GDPR compliance.
Other key lawyers:
Alessandro Boso Caretta; Alessandro Ferrari; Giulia Zappaterra
‘The Italian DLA Piper team has very strong competence and experience in thee telecommunication retail segment, they know the environment and the legal challenges related to it.’
‘Full commitment and presence; great knowledge of the market and capacity to provide business friendly advice.’
‘Giulio Coraggio has great skills in the privacy sector and is always available and ready to find solutions (even on an innovative basis).’
‘They are very strong in telecommunications, especially for regulatory and competition related work. They are super friendly and open-minded, they have a very good mix of experience, legal and commercial skills and knowledge of the sector. The team is very well balanced and supportive.’
‘This practice is a solid and great reference to cover all possible needs for a multinational customer. In complex and strategic initiatives, they can provide complete support from all possible perspectives.’
‘The DLA partners I work with are able to understand commercial needs and they can provide high-quality and timely support recognised as excellent by the business.’
‘Very deep knowledge of the sector from a regulatory perspective; this enables them to provide a 360 assistance in complex litigation.’
Vodafone and Vodafone Automotive
Generali Operations Service Platform
- Assisted Vodafone with some of the most prominent TLC related projects and disputes, including assistance in a landmark victory before the Supreme Court in an abuse of dominant position damage claim brought by Fastweb.
- Assisted a client with one of the most sophisticated ransomware cyberattacks occurring in Europe that impacted customers and employees in several jurisdictions.
- Assisted the Aqseptence Group with a worldwide IoT/Industry 4.0 transformation project.
Hogan Lovells International LLP assists international e-commerce and telecoms clients with regulatory issues, data protection matters and the negotiation of commercial deals. The department has been engaged in AI, fintech, digital health and automotive projects, and advises broadcasting and media companies on the full spectrum of matters. Marco Berliri has over 20 years of experience in the sector and his expertise spans social media issues, technology work, online tracking matters and cross-border transfers of data. Massimiliano Masnada often acts on compliance issues in the privacy sector, and has represented several clients before the Italian Data Protection Authority.
Marco Berliri; Massimiliano Masnada
- Assisted Google in relation to all new legal challenges including issues relating to the DSA, Artificial Intelligence Act and Copyright Directive.
- Assisted Uber in relation to an agreement with itTaxi which will enable users of private public transport services to make use, by radio cab, of more than 12 thousand vehicles and operators available to itTaxi.
- Assisted the cyptocurrency company Binance UAB with general commercial, marketing, compliance and regulatory matters in Italy, including the use of blockchain, NFTs and the launch of the Italian platform.
With proficiency in data protection, e-commerce, internet, and IT mandates, the department at Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati often acts for significant advertising agencies. The practice also advises key telecoms, TV and film clients on an array of issues including litigation and commercial regulatory work. Domenico Colella oversees the department and has more than 20 years of experience in the TMT sector.
‘Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati is an excellent firm with an outstanding reputation in Italy and abroad. The advice provided by their lawyers is always reliable, business-focused, timely and competent. I can define myself as a satisfied client.’
‘The TMT team of Orsingher Ortu is excellent. I believe that their secret consists of nurturing talents. There are many professionals that started out their career at the firm as trainees and they are now senior lawyers assisting clients with an outstanding quality.’
‘Domenico Colella is a guru as far as technology is concerned. He dominates that field so well that he is able to make complex concepts understandable. I would also mention his magnificent negotiation skills. Domenico always has the right strategy and he pursues it until the deal is successfully completed.’
‘Domenico Colella is one of the most valuable professionals in Italy as far as technology and intellectual property are concerned. Domenico possesses an incomparable strategic vision, technical competence and trustworthy advocacy.’
‘The firm has an in-depth understanding of the client’s needs and always manages to find ways to best address them. They have demonstrated great flexibility and expertise over the years as well as the ability to stay abreast of the times and changing regulations.’
‘Domenico Colella has always distinguished himself by his professionalism, helpfulness, precision and attention to the client. Moreover, he has always managed to achieve even the most challenging goals in terms of both complexity and timing.’
‘Orsingher Ortu’s team is always involved in the most innovative and complex matters in the TMT sector. They also make a massive use of technology tools to facilitate interactions with clients and pay great attention to diversity and environmental issues.’
‘Domenico Colella has an excellent mix of technical and negotiation skills together with a unique knowledge of the technology market. He is just a star, I do not think that there is a comparable lawyer in Italy dealing with technology matters.’
ITV Global Entertainment Limited
The Walt Disney Company
- Advised Amazon on a number of contentious, non-contentious and regulatory matters pertaining to the client’s core businesses.
- Advised The Walt Disney Company on a number of contractual, media, regulatory and litigation matters.
- Advised Thought Machine on the contracts with Banca Intesa SanPaolo for the creation of Banca Intesa’s new digital bank called Isybank.
Often assisting Fortune 500 companies with data protection and telecoms regulations, the department at Portolano Cavallo also collaborates with start-up technology companies in the media sector. Ernesto Apa advises regional and global clients on regulatory and contractual TMT issues, including advertising, copyright and electronic communications work. Francesco Portolano is a go-to for media, entertainment and digital clients for private equity and joint venture mandates, while Laura Liguori works on cybersecurity and data protection matters. Associate Fabiana Bisceglia is noted for her advertising law and consumer protection capabilities, and counsel Donata Cordone focuses on the digital economy.
Ernesto Apa; Laura Liguori; Francesco Portolano
Other key lawyers:
Fabiana Bisceglia; Donata Cordone
‘I appreciate their legal knowledge, style and professionalism. Undoubtedly, Portolano Cavallo has strong expertise in its TMT practice.’
‘The main individuals I deal with are Francesco Portolano and Ernesto Apa. I appreciate both lawyers for their legal expertise and for their style, I appreciate Ernesto Apa’s outstanding expertise and professionalism, his seriousness, his transparent behaviour and fair approach.’
‘Fantastically responsive, helpful, pragmatic and sensible advice, rooted in experience and knowledge.’
‘Ernesto Apa leads a fantastic team. He has a wealth of experience and a level head which makes for a fantastic adviser.’
‘Portolano Cavallo is a boutique firm and its professionals have strong expertise and knowledge of the media business and regulatory framework in Italy. They have excellent knowledge of the TMT legislative framework. The team is responsive, have an attention to detail, and they are cost efficient.’
‘Ernesto Apa is our key contact at Portolano Cavallo and he advises our company on several media matters for linear and non-linear business. His knowledge of the media business and related regulatory aspects is unrivalled.’
‘Ernesto Apa is highly regarded not only by private clients but also by the institutional representatives and independent authorities.’
‘Ernesto Apa is a must have for us in our business when evaluating regulatory matters and the impact these have on our day to day business. He is friendly but also professional.’
Bird & Bird collaborates with specialists from its antitrust, commercial, corporate, IP and IT groups, and is geared to support clients on the full array of communications matters including regulatory and commercial issues as well as disputes. The team has also been advising on a diversity of IoT projects across numerous industries. Stefano Silvestri is noted for his M&A capabilities, while Massimiliano Mostardini advises clients on IP and unfair competition mandates across several sectors. Federico Marini Balestra is proficient in TMT law and regulations, with Giovanni Galimberti, Simone Cadeddu and Arturo Leone serving as the other names to note.
Massimiliano Mostardini ; Giovanni Galimberti; Federico Marini Balestra; Simone Cadeddu; Arturo Leone
Other key lawyers:
La Nave di Teseo
Telecom Italia Sparkle
- Advised Sisvel Group on setting up and exploiting its international strategy to license and enforce different standard essential patent portfolios.
- Advised Telecom Italia Sparkle on IoT services.
- Advised Zoom on regulatory matters.
BonelliErede’s digital innovation focus team routinely supports companies on start-up, acquisition, development and protection of digital innovation issues. The department is also often engaged in fintech matters, including blockchain technology, crowdfunding and digital payment work, as well as virtual currency mandates in the regtech sector. Tommaso Faelli leads the practice and is proficient in IP issues, particularly trade marks, patents and e-commerce issues, as well as IT and data protection matters.
- Assisted TIM with a submission of a proposal to the Italian Ministry for Technological Innovation and Digital Transition aimed at creating a National Strategic Hub, collecting data manged by public administration.
- Assisted RML Comunicazione and Lux Vide in relation to the negotiation of the agreements for the acquisition of a 70% stake in Lux Vide (Italy’s leading independent television production company, launched in 1992) made by Fremantle.
Chiomenti serves a roster of broadcasters, content producers, and international web operator clients across the IT, electronic and media sectors on the full array of TMT issues. The department also assists significant clients with regulatory, commercial, contractual and regulatory issues relating to the use of projects involving innovative technologies. Gilberto Nava leads the department, and is a reputed practitioner who has advised significant international TMT clients on the full array of legal issues concerning cross-border acquisitions.
‘Chiomenti is a well established team and full of outstanding professionals.’
‘Gilberto Nava has unparalleled talent.’
‘Gilberto Nava is a well known counsellor on compliance and industrial issues, his experience is widespread and has also organisational skills.’
‘The Chiomenti law firm excels with its cross-disciplinary expertise, communicative competence, high reliability and assertiveness. The cooperation is also convincing due to the high level of professionalism and commitment, which applies to all areas of the law firm.’
‘The firm is extremely well organised and has the ability to react to unpredictable dynamics. The queries are answered immediately, even outside of normal office hours. All employees have a very friendly and courteous demeanour. In addition, the Chiomenti law firm impresses with its innovative strength.’
‘Chiomenti Law Firm has the resources to deal with the most complex claims and achieve amazing results in challenging and difficult matters. Gilberto Nava stands out here, he is fantastic, he is very meticulous and covers every aspect of difficult cases of high value. He is very dedicated, always available, and gives excellent advice.’
‘The Chiomenti TMT team is excellent. They are a group of highly trained and experienced professionals with a multidisciplinary approach. The attorneys are approaching every task with a problem solving and business oriented focus.’
‘Gilberto Nava has a very strong corporate experience that makes him very much business oriented and able to understand the corporate needs and goals. He has huge knowledge and a lot of practical know how. It is also very easy to interact with him and get advice.’
The Friedkin Group (A.S. Roma)
Massima Energia (Supermoney)
- Provided full range assistance to Kohlberg Kravis Robert in relation to its investments in the acquisition of the secondary fixed access network of Telecom Italia S.p.A..
- Assisted with the integration of the retail branch of Linkem S.p.A. with the retail branch of the Tiscali Group and the consequent redefinition of the commercial relationships between the operators through the conclusion of an articulated services contract.
- Assisted InfoCert with a wide spectrum of regulatory and IT matters.
The team at Gianni & Origoni possesses notable expertise in data protection matters, and is well equipped to handle privacy, antitrust and regulatory issues for domestic and international clients. Stefano Mele has over 20 years of experience in the sector, and assists clients with new technologies, cybersecurity work and privacy issues. Luca Rinaldi often handles the acquisition and distribution of television rights, particularly in the sports sector. Federico Dettori has broad experience in assisting Italian and international companies, and Massimo Sterpi leads the department.
‘The team consists of highly qualified professionals, which are always available to support in all matters related to the TMT practice, providing excellent work that is always on time.’
‘Luca Rinaldi is a renowned specialist in his practice and has developed extensive experience in the TMT industry. In particular, I would like to emphasise his precision, attention to detail, and excellent skills in law. He has demonstrated remarkable skills in both judicial and extrajudicial settings.’
‘Luca Rinaldi is a great expert, he is always available and able to find creative solutions to very complicated problems.’
‘The firm combines deep experience on TMT regulation with strong business acumen. They operate with a large team of lawyers that are able to grant remarkable responsiveness and engagement.’
Associazione Bancaria Italiana (ABI)
Arqit Quantum Inc
Open Fiber S.p.A.
Analytics Network s.r.l
European Connecting Europe Broadband Fund (CEBF)
Gellify Digital Investment Srl
Telecom Italia S.p.A (TIM S.p.A.)
- Assisted Sky Italia s.r.l. with drafting and negotiating a group-wide agreement with Apple for the distribution of the Apple TV+ service on Sky Group platforms in the EU.
- Assisted 30+ national companies operating in the main strategic sectors in the application of the National Cybersecurity Perimeter Law.
- Assisted Kellify SpA with IP issues connected to training AI systems, the protection of industrial secrets and the possibility of patenting algorithms, as well as IT contracts.
With particular experience in the music sector, the department at Osborne Clarke represents significant, as well as smaller, music publishers and recording companies. The practice’s key strengths also lie in the advertising and marketing, audio-visual media and broadcasting industries, and in assisting large-scale publishers and developers of interactive entertainment. Gianluigi Marino leads the department and excels in data protection and privacy law and is seasoned in internet law. Senior lawyer Antonio Racano supports regional and global businesses on issues pertaining to e-commerce, data protection, information technology and consumer rights mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘An up-to-date law firm with great professionals capable of dealing with very complex issues.’
‘Great availability and competence.’
‘Agile and responsive team, resolves issues quickly and works efficiently for the client.’
‘A firm with young, internationally oriented and technically very knowledgeable professionals.’
‘They are aware of technological trends and changes and take that into consideration in their advice.’
‘Excellent quality of work, punctuality and communication.’
‘Gianluigi Marino is an extremely well-prepared professional.’
APA – Associazione Produttori Audiovisivi
Avanti Communication Limited / Avanti Broadband Limited
Costim S.r.l. (Chorus Life S.p.A.)
Dplay Entertainment Ltd
Havas Milan S.r.l.
Integral Ad Science Inc.
PDU Music & Productions S.A.
Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A / SM Publishing (Italy) S.r.l.
Uber Technologies Inc. and Uber B.V.
We Are Social / This is Hello
- Advised Costim S.r.l. (Chorus Life S.p.A) on an innovative, environmentally sustainable ‘smart city’ project taking shape in the heart of Bergamo.
- Assisted Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A., with a complex and legally significant claim against Edizioni Musicali Acqua Azzurra and three other defendants for damages resulting from their unlawful actions.
- Advised a number of the main global IT companies and platforms on a number of regulatory, data protection and commercial issues, including TikTok, Microsoft, Google, Expedia and Uber.
CMS advises domestic and international clients and start-ups on TMT policy development, e-commerce projects, and joint ventures. The team also regularly supports technology, media and telecoms organisations and is often engaged in matters pertaining to digital currencies, AI, blockchain and social media. Italo de Feo oversees the team and handles data protection, IT, and broadcasting and media regulation mandates. Paolo Scarduelli acts as a key port of call for domestic and international private equity clients on antitrust matters as well as corporate matters across a variety of sectors. Matia Campo was promoted to the partnership in mid-2022.
Italo de Feo; Paolo Scarduelli
Other key lawyers:
‘Innovation, proximity, kindness.’
‘Italo de Feo and Matia Campo are outstanding professionals with a deep knowledge of law together with a business approach in solving legal issues.’
‘Matia Campo’s commercial awareness is very strong. He is able to deliver the best legal support an in-house counsel would wish for, negotiating and advising on sophisticated TMT transactions and issues e.g. Cloud, Data transfer, GDPR ad tech, sourcing and related regulatory framework.’
Aareal Bank AG – Filiale di Roma
Corriere dello Sport/Tuttosport
Warner Chappel Music
Sony Music Italy
The team at Dentons is noted for its expertise in the telecoms sector, and is regularly engaged on digital media, cybersecurity, IoT, and newly emerging matters involving new converging technologies. Giangiacomo Olivi heads up the team and focuses on data management and digital transformation work, while counsel Chiara Bocchi assists national and multinational clients with technology and commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Dentons has a deep experience on TMT and knows the logic of the TMT business.’
‘Giangiacomo Olivi is a superlative lawyer.’
‘Competence, speed of response, accuracy and internationality.’
‘I worked with Giangiacomo Olivi and Chiara Bocchi, they have exceptional professionalism with great human qualities.’
‘I have been working with Chiara Bocchi, who is highly reliable and has given support to my day-to- day business. She has a deep business acumen and knows the company needs, therefore her outputs are always pragmatic and clear.’
‘Giangiacomo Olivi is the partner who has been helping me for several years. I appreciate him for always being available and able to find solutions even in very tricky situations. Another valuable aspect is that they coordinate with their colleagues in different countries perfectly, this is definitely very helpful and allows me to save a lot of time.’
‘Giangiacomo Olivi is the safest pair of hands I have had the good fortune to work with. His guidance in complex legal and regulatory matters help our business form a successful business strategy for the Italian market. His contributions could not be overstated.’
GEDI Gruppo Editoriale (La Repubblica / HuffingtonPost, etc.)
Johnson & Johnson Medical
The Student Hotel
- Assisted COIMA with the technology set-up of Milan Porta Nuova Smart District, one of the main smart city projects in Europe.
- Assisted Audiweb with the “Audiweb 2.0” project, which is the new online mobile and in-app video and editorial content measurement service.
- Assisted Motorola Solutions with the IP and technology aspects of the acquisition of the entire share capital of Videotec S.p.A.
Gallavotti Bernardini & Partners is renowned for its expertise in the cinema, TV, sport and media sectors, and the department is well-equipped to assist with corporate, commercial and regulatory matters as well as procurement agreements. Antonio Bernardini assists clients with the exploitation and distribution of content, joint ventures, and acquisitions. Mario Gallavotti is also a reputed name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a unique ability, especially in the international arena, to gather domestic needs and international opportunities.’
‘Very well versed in managing different cases and situations with a flexible approach, and they always give quick, clear, and efficient advice. Always updated and forward looking.’
‘Antonio Bernardini is very flexible and efficient through different jurisdictions and issues, he has remarkable negotiation experience with many different major international players worldwide.’
‘After working with this firm for more than 20 years, I have no doubts that they have unparalleled expertise in the whole audio-visual sector, including the most recent technologies, means of exploitation of IP and alike.’
‘The mix of competence, reliability, promptness and knowledge of international markets make them the ideal legal consultants for any production and distribution company.’
Italian Football Federation (FIGC)
Turner Broadcasting, a Warner Bros. Discovery Group Company
Warner Bros Entertainment Italia, a Warner Bros. Discovery Group Company
Medusa Film, a Mediaset Group company
Turner Broadcasting Sales Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Group Company
ANICA – National Association of the Cinema, Audio-visual and Multimedia Industry
Movimenti Production S.r.l.
Natixis Coficiné S.A.
International Padel Federation
Stage Entertainment Italia
Graphilm S.r.l., a Cyber Group Company
- Assisted the Danish football agency with the transfer of the Danish player Joakim Mahele to the Serie A club Atalanta.
- Advised HeART on the incubation, development and launch of a new revolutionary idea of social platforms and community devoted to talents, performers and art lovers, to overcome the complex Covid period.
ADVANT Nctm has media law expertise relating to IP mandates, in particular work involving right of publicity issues, copyrights and trade marks. The department is also a key port of call for TMT clients for M&A transactions, as well as litigation, contracts and regulatory matters. Vittorio Noseda leads the department and has key experience in advising on TMT business transactions.
‘Advant NCTM is an outstanding law firm. They are unique in combining legal excellency and great business feeling.’
‘Vittorio Noseda is a top lawyer, a fantastic team leader and absolutely top in terms of timing, industrial knowledge and legal skills. The lawyer you wish to have at your side.’
‘Strong ability to handle complex transactions in the telecoms sector, in particular from an M&A perspective.’
‘Vittorio Noseda is a great deal maker.’
Vodafone Italia S.p.A
Sony Interactive Entertainment Italia
Acer Italy S.r.l.
Sky International AG
Sent Entertainment UK Limited (Mola TV)
LEA – Liberi Autori ed Editori
- Assisted Vodafone Italia S.p.A., in relation to the sale of a branch of the company formed by DAS (Distributed Antenna System) as well as assets and small cells installed inside buildings or in tunnels.
- Assisted Sony Music Entertainment, U.S. in relation to complex litigation which concerns a de-branding and trade mark exhaustion case against BasicNet S.p.A.
- Assisted British Telecom with the sale of Wiit to Erptech, an Italian company active in IT outsourcing services for Sap systems, for which it holds four certifications.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
The department at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP is thoroughly experienced in administrative and civil litigation, as well as antitrust law and regulatory matters. The practice also often represents clients before the European Commission and the Italian Antitrust Authority in seeking authorisation for proposed M&A. Mario Siragusa is proficient in domestic and EU commercial litigation, while Marco D’Ostuni handles competition law in the media, telecoms and energy sectors. Matteo Beretta advises several multinational companies on merger control procedures.
Other key lawyers:
Mario Siragusa; Marco D’Ostuni; Matteo Beretta
Telecom Italia TIM
Asterion Industrial Partners
- Acted for TIM in the administrative proceedings and subsequent litigation against a decision by which the Italian Competition Authority imposed a fine on TIM. This fine was imposed for having implemented an anti-competitive strategy designed to hinder investments in ultra-wideband network infrastructure.
- Represented Philips S.p.A., Philips Innovations S.p.A., Philips Medical Systems Nederland B.V. and the parent company Koninklijke Philips N.V. in proceedings before the Italian Competition Authority relating to the alleged existence of an abuse of a dominant position in the market of maintenance of high-tech diagnostic imaging devices (e.g. CTs and MRs), obtaining the complete dismissal of the case.
- Assisted TIM S.p.A. against a multi-billion civil claim for damages brought by Open Fiber S.p.A. and Enel before the Court of Milan in connection with alleged anti-competitive conduct regarding UBB (ultra-broad brand) services.
Cugia Cuomo & Associati
Cugia Cuomo & Associati advises foreign governments on regulatory TMT reform projects and assists public entities and operators with compliance, data protection, corporate and IT regulation matters. Fabrizio Cugia di Sant’Orsola leads the team and has assisted numerous EU regulatory authorities with aligning national regulations to EU principles. Silvia Giampaolo focuses on legal and regulatory issues concerning multimedia and telecoms issues, personal data, and IP elements.
Fabrizio Cugia di Sant’Orsola
Other key lawyers:
‘Great knowledge of the industry.’
‘Fabrizio Cugia di Sant’Orsola knows the TMT practice area very well.’
‘Professional team and reliable people.’
SpaceX Inc. and Starlink Internet Services Limited
Daily Telecom Mobile S.r.l
Digital Telecommunication Service (DTS) S.r.l
Numero Blu Servizi
The Government of Azerbaijan
- Assisted SpaceX and its Irish entity, Starlink Internet Services Limited regarding the implementation of the Italian electronic communication regulatory framework for the offering of broadband satellite internet services in the Italian market.
- Assisted Infobip Limited with providing a regulatory assessment, under the Italian data protection regulatory framework and telecommunication laws, related to SMS Firewall technology, that has the purpose to block/filter fraud SMS traffic determined by Spam SMS.
- Assisted Daimler Mercedes Benz AG with national regulatory analysis and compliance overview on M2M Machine to Machine communications and mobile connectivity for services offered on board vehicles.
The department at ICT Legal Consulting serves as a one-stop shop for all mandates concerning data protection, IP, and telecoms work. The practice also assists international institutions, companies and European agencies with legal and cybersecurity advice, which the team offers across a vast number of sectors. Paolo Balboni is data protection officer (DPO) for multinational companies, while Floriana Francesconi handles risk assessments and deals with data protection compliance issues. Luca Bolognini is also a key name to note.
‘The Professionals of ICTLC have profound knowledge of the technologies related to our sector and our business models. This makes their advice very accurate, relevant and actionable.’
‘ICTLC is not only our go-to law firm for technology, data protection and security issues but a real business partner.’
‘The two Founding Partners of ICTLC, Luca Bolognini and Paolo Balboni, are exceptional in translating complex technology-related legal issues into actionable solutions for our global data-driven business.’
‘Consulting services based on a business-oriented combination of technology and legal aspects. A continuous updating of customers.’
‘Personal interest in really understanding the specificities of the business. Availability.’
Amissima Vita S.p.A.
Axpo Italia S.p.A.
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro S.p.A. – BNP Paribas
Banijay Italia S.p.A. (Banijay Group)
Bayview Italia 06 S.p.A.
Barilla G. e R. Fratelli S.p.A.
Bending Spoons S.p.A.
Bper Banca S.p.A.
Brunello Cucinelli S.p.A.
Centro Stampa Poligrafici S.r.l. (Monrif Group)
Coop Italia Soc. Coop.
Cooperativa Socile e di Lavoro Operatori Sanitari Associati
CRC-Evans Offshore Limited
Crèdit Agricole Assicurazioni S.p.A.
Crèdit Agricole Italia S.p.A.
Crèdit Agricole Vita S.p.A.
Dedalus S.p.A. (Dedalus Group)
Editoriale Nazionale (Monrif Group)
EGA Emiliana Grandi Alberghi (Monrif Group)
Endemol Shine Italia S.p.A. (Banijay Group)
Engineering – Ingegneria Informatica S.p.A.
Eridania Italia S.p.A.
Fabbri Holding Industriale S.p.A.
Friul Intagli Industries
Giochi Preziosi S.p.A.
Grandi Navi Veloci S.p.A.
Gruppo Fabbri Vignola S.p.A.
Guess Europe Sagl
Micys Company S.p.A. (Pupa)
Monrif S.p.A. (Monrif Group)
Morato Pane S.p.A.
MSC Cruises SA
Octo Group S.p.A.
Poste Italiane S.p.A.
Prima Assicurazioni S.p.A.
Robin S.r.l. (Monrif Group)
R+V Allgemeine Versicherung AG
Salvatore Ferragamo S.p.A.
Samsung Electronics Italia S.p.A.
Sapio Produzione Idrogeno Ossigeno S.r.l.
Sara Assicurazioni S.p.A.
ShopFully PTY Ltd
SGS Italia S.p.A.
Società Cattolica di Assicurazione S.p.A.
Soilmec S.p.A. (Trevi Group)
Stella McCartney Ltd
Trevi S.p.A. (Trevi Group)
Trevi Finanziaria Industriale S.p.A. (Trevi Group)
UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
Università Campus Bio-Medico di Roma
Vaillant Group Italia S.p.A. (Vaillant GmbH)
Value Retail Management Italy S.r.l.
Vetefar Fossano S.r.l.
Virgin Active Italia S.p.A.
Vorwerk Italia S.a.S. di Vorwerk Management S.r.l.
Welcome Travel Group S.p.A.
Vivienne Westwood Ltd
ZTE Italia S.r.l.
- Acted as DPO for Octo Telematics S.p.A., carrying out specific compliance audits, providing advice which focuses on legal and cybersecurity aspects related to data governance, and ensuring compliance with the principle of data protection by design.
- Assisted Samsung Electronics Italia S.p.A., in areas of privacy, data protection, and data security for example, with negotiations of Data Processing Agreements with relevant suppliers, and data sharing agreements with other major technology players.
- Assisted Salvatore Ferragamo S.p.A., Italian leader in the luxury fashion industry, with respect to the drafting and negotiation of IT contacts, which are becoming increasingly articulated due to the rapid development of technology.
LCA Studio Legale assists start-ups and established companies, including those in the fintech, sports, entertainment, publishing, digital media, IT, media and advertising fields. The practice operates across a breadth of matters including regulatory issues, privacy work and data protection matters. Edoardo Calcaterra is a corporate lawyer who focuses on M&A, while Gianluca De Cristofaro assists clients with software-related agreements, terms and conditions referring to e-commerce platforms, and complex cybersecurity projects. Andrea Messuti frequently advises technology and growth-stage companies, while Giulio Vecchi is seasoned in IP, e-commerce and personal data protection and commercial communications issues in the TMT space.
Edoardo Calcaterra; Gianluca De Cristofaro; Andrea Messuti
Other key lawyers:
‘Business oriented and the advice is very accurate.’
AC Milan S.p.A.
Golden Goose S.p.A.
Marktplaats B.V. (eBay Classifieds Group)
Olinda S.A.S. (Qonto)
ProGaming Italia S.r.l.
- Assisted Foodinho S.r.l. with the purchase of a 100% stake in Social Food S.r.l.
- Supported Olinda S.A.S., a French fintech “unicorn” that provides its services entirely online and via app, on a range of matters.
- Represented Alcantara in Italy’s first “greenwashing” case by successfully bringing claims of misleading advertising against competitor, Miko.
The department at Legance - Avvocati Associati assists clients with antitrust, e-commerce and mobile payment mandates and also provides day-to-day assistance to media companies, broadcasters and service providers. The practice also aids clients in proceedings involving the Italian Competition Authority for possible infringement of rules on unfair commercial practices. Valerio Mosca leads the team and advises electronic communications, among other clients, on a spectrum of regulatory matters.
Apollo Management, L.P.
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
GSO Capital Partners (The Blackstone Group)
Iliad Italia S.p.A.
Nexi and Mercury UK HoldCo Limited
Postepay S.p.A. (former Poste Mobile S.p.A.)
RedBird Capital Partners Management LLC
- Assisted Nexi and its controlling shareholder Mercury UK HoldCo in the context of both the acquisition of Nets and the subsequent integration between Nexi and SIA through merger by way of incorporation of the latter into Nexi.
- Assisted RedBird Capital Partners Management LLC with the analysis of regulatory and television rights issues relating to the acquisition of AC Milan from the Elliott Fund.
- Assisted CDP with an M&A deal with Macquarie for the joint control over Open Fiber S.p.A.; CDP will acquire 60% of Open Fiber and Macquarie will acquire 40%.
Mondini Bonora Ginevra Studio Legale routinely assists television, video game and music clients with matters pertaining to M&A, advertising and promotion regulations, commercial contracts and regulatory matters. Giorgio Mondini is proficient in IP issues, most notably copyright matters, while Silvia Mondini is knowledgeable of advertising issues, privacy rights protection, advertising work and the sale of companies.
Silvia Mondini; Giorgio Mondini
Other key lawyers:
‘Giorgio Mondini has a wealth of experience.’
‘Silvia Mondini pays great attention to our issues.’
‘Paolo Cuomo is meticulous.’
Unione Italiana Editoria Audiovisiva Media Digitali e Online (Univideo)
IF Idee Editoriali Feltrinelli S.r.l.
Feltrinelli Education S.r.l.
AGENZIA PER LO SVILUPPO DELL’EDITORIA AUDIOVISIVA (ASEA)
Kora Sistemi Informatici S.r.l.
Show Bees S.r.l.
Ponderosa Music and Arts S.r.l.
- Assisted Univideo with regard to the organisational and IP aspects involved in the collection and distribution of equitable compensation for private copying of video games.
- Assisted IF Idee Editoriali Feltrinelli in connection with the update of the T&Cs of the Apogeo website.
- Assisted Feltrinelli Education S.r.l. in connection with the update of the T&Cs of its online platform.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons assists global telecoms companies, satellite providers, social media companies and technology businesses, along with clients in the digital health and fintech spaces, with IP disputes, regulatory issues, data protection work, employment matters and litigation. Edoardo Tedeschi leads the team and has notable expertise in domestic and cross-border M&A and corporate transactions. Alessandra Bianchi has left the firm.
Balt International Sas
Trade Trust System S.r.l.
Kairos Partner SGR
Sitel Europe Ltd
BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Limited
China Telecom Europe Ltd
- Advised AIG Group on the drafting and deployment of its cybersecurity coverage policies and acted as coverage counsel in such claims.
- Advised listed company Datrix Spa on the drafting and negotiation of contracts for certain lines of products on AI.
- Advised Toshiba on a major transaction and on the management of IT separation agreements and a data sharing agreement.
Trevisan & Cuonzo assists IT clients with the full spectrum of issues, and is seasoned in media and entertainment law, handling broadcasting, music and publishing mandates. The practice also advises on licensing and litigation mandates in the telecoms sector. Luca Trevisan frequently advises patent and technology clients, while Vittorio Cerulli Irelli acts for a broad spectrum of clients in anti-trust proceedings before the antitrust agencies and courts. Gabriel Cuonzo is also a key name to note.
Luca Trevisan; Gabriel Cuonzo; Vittorio Cerullli Irelli
OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co. Ltd
- Acted for Xiaomi, Oppo and other smartphone manufacturers in complex parallel patent cases concerning different multiple standard essential patents against a renowned entity.
- Assisted Sony Mobile with regulatory work.
- Protected the trade mark ‘La Gazzetta del Mezzogiorno’, identifying one of Italy’s most famous newspapers with over 130 years of publication.
Andrea Rizzi & Partners
Boutique firm Andrea Rizzi & Partners has a core focus on the interactive entertainment and video game industries in addition to handling e-sports issues, and assisting clients across the creative, digital entertainment and new media industries. Managing partner Andrea Rizzi is knowledgeable of competition and antitrust issues, consumer law and media regulations. Associate Nicoletta Serao provides expertise in content clearances and data protection, e-commerce and audio-visual content regulations. Francesco de Rugeriis is also an associate who is often engaged in matters concerning advertising, entertainment, technology and data protection law.
Other key lawyers:
Nicoletta Serao; Francesco de Rugeriis
‘Andrea Rizzi & Partners is my go-to law firm in Italy. Their knowledge in the video game sector is hugely important to my clients.’
‘Deep knowledge of the video games industry.’
‘Andrea Rizzi is an industry veteran and provides straight to the point advice.’
Epic Games, Inc.
Azerion Holding BV
FaZe Clan, Inc.
NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises
The Hundred S.r.l. / VR46 S.r.l. / VR46 Metaverse S.r.l. / Valentino Rossi
Casafari Europe Ltd
One o One S.r.l. /Effort Cube S.p.a.
Game Seer Venture Partners GmbH
Giochi Preziosi S.p.A.
Dive Esports S.r.l.
Smemo 1979 S.r.l.
IIDEA – Italian Interactive Digital Entertainment Association
Square Enix, Inc.
- Advised Game Seer Venture Partners GmbH on an investment agreement relating to the video game “Ash of Gods: The Way” developed by the company AurumDust Limited.
- Successfully represented Casafari Europe Ltd in proceedings before the Italian Communications Authority dealing with an alleged infringement of Immobiliare.it’s IP rights.
- Advised The Hundred S.r.l. / VR46 S.r.l. / VR46 Metaverse S.r.l. / Valentino Rossi on establishing “VR46 Metaverse s.r.l.”, a joint venture that will act as the exclusive licensee of all of Valentino Rossi’s IP and image rights for commercial exploitation in relation to gaming and the Metaverse.
With notable strength in the movie, audio-visual and entertainment industries, Eversheds Sutherland Associazione Professionale assists clients with cloud computing, e-commerce, electronic invoicing and software licensing matters. Alessandro Greco leads the team and has represented an assortment of companies in antitrust and consumer protection investigations. Andrea Zincone is adept in IT, SaaS and service contracts and assists with data protection compliance programs. Massimo Maioletti advises clients on privacy issues arising from the implementation of video surveillance systems and is entrusted by private client companies with marketing activities and the maintenance of websites.
Other key lawyers:
Andrea Zincone; Massimo Maioletti; Giuseppe Rizzo; Alessandro Vischi
‘Specific knowledge of the sector, they are professionals who are specialised in the contracted area.’
‘They are determined to achieve the results and they have very good communication and internal organisation.’
‘We have worked together with Alessandro Greco. He has demonstrated good communication and always keeps us informed on the process. He is efficient.’
‘Efficient and available.’
‘The lawyers are quick to respond and very competent.’
Digital Wholesale Solutions – DWS
Nomad Digital Limited
Leadtech Innovation SL
E-Commerce Specialist S.r.l.
Minerva Pictures Group
Treccani Scuola S.p.A.
Treccani Futura s.r.l.
Me Contro Te s.r.l.
Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana fondato da Giovanni Treccani S.p.A.
Giunti TVP Editore s.r.l.
- Advised a multinational IT client with the foreign transferring and strorage of databases, files and IT applications of its Italian entity.
- Assisted a US provider of software and hardware for telecoms and networks with the negotiation and review of its new maintenance agreement with an Italian telecoms provider.
- Assisted Digital Wholesale Solutions with the new Electronic Communications Code compliance.
Herbert Smith Freehills
Regularly handling IP matters, Herbert Smith Freehills is especially knowledgeable of entertainment and media law. Pietro Pouché leads the team and has broad expertise of comparative, unfair and misleading advertising issues, data protection work and cybersecurity mandates. Giulia Maienza is an IP litigator who thrives in issues involving the exploitation and protection of significant assets, including patents, trade marks, and designs.
Other key lawyers:
JC Bamford Excavators Ltd
C&M Book Logistics
Burgess Norton (Amsted Group)
Rubinetterie Bresciane Bonomi S.p.A.
- Assisted Pearson with the reorganisation of one of its main businesses concerning the K12 courseware activities in Italy. The team provided assistance in relation to a number of IP aspects.
- Assisted CEVA in relation to the drafting and negotiating of an IT framework agreement for an innovative logistics and distribution centre for publishing products.
- Assisted DoveVivo in connection with a cybersquatting case and the protection of its trade mark.
The department at Lexia Avvocati is proficient in the IT, AI, gaming, technology and financial technology sectors, and the practice also assists with licensing, distribution and sponsorship agreements, and the drafting of terms and conditions. Francesco Dagnino is knowledgeable of corporate M&A, financial services, and capital markets work, while Angelo Messore has been active in the establishment of numerous innovative fintech platforms.
Francesco Dagnino; Angelo Messore
- Assisted Neulabs, the first Amazon FBA aggregator in Italy, in connection with over 10 acquisitions of Amazon FBA businesses and accounts all over Europe (both share deals and asset deals).
- Assisted 4Gifters S.r.l. with setting up an e-commerce marketplace allowing customers to purchase products or services from luxury brands by way of a gift.
- Assisted Switcho S.r.l. with setting-up its app for the comparison of utility services, insurance and other financial products, as well as for the optimisation of savings and expenses by customers.
Morri Rossetti e Associati
The multidisciplinary TMT and data protection team at Morri Rossetti e Associati fields seasoned practitioners specialising in a broad spectrum of mandates including IP, media and cybersecurity matters. Carlo Impalà leads the department and regularly assists domestic and foreign companies with corporate and M&A matters and also provides his input on regulatory issues in the e-commerce, IT, publishing and advertising industries.
‘The launch of a startup is often chaotic – thanks to the firm we were immediately able to give a clear and orderly direction to the relationships between various subjects, especially in a new market.’
‘Carlo Impalà, even in innovative contexts, has supported us to gain a clear vision of all regulations.’
Geico S.p.A in Alliance with Taikisha Ltd
LVMH Profumi e Cosmetici Italia S.r.l.
Digital Cinema Advertising S.r.l.
Geistlich Pharma AG
- Advised Geico S.p.A. on dealing with regulatory, commercial and privacy issues linked to its business.
- Assisted LVMH Profumi e Cosmetici Italia S.r.l. with the development and implementation of various projects in the digital sector.
Pavia e Ansaldo advises clients on a wide range of issues including EU law, IP matters and corporate transactions; the practice is reputed for its M&A capabilities and is a go-to name for TMT companies involved in cross-border transactions. The department also assists clients across TMT sub-sectors including IT, technology and life sciences corporates, with banking and finance work, IP matters and disputes. Milena Priscorecently recently joined the practice and oversees the ESG team, with knowledge of domestic ESG compliance issues. Marco Giustiniani leads the team with Stefano Bianchi.
Stefano Bianchi; Marco Giustiniani
Other key lawyers:
‘This team is extremely competent, responsive, and reliable to work with.’
‘Advisers are available, friendly, and extremely competent.’
Odeon Cinemas Group
Synchronoss Technologies, Inc.
Wise Tech Global
Telequest & Internet Solutions GmbH
Four Telecom Services GmbH & Co KG (Telecommunication)
Soluzioni Prodotto Sistemi srl
Open Fiber S.p.A.
Elite Mobile S.p.A.
Afinna One S.r.l.
Tecnotel Servizi Tecnologici S.r.l.
First Point S.r.l.
Professional Link S.r.l.
- Advised Italian IT company Project Informatica on its acquisitive growth via the acquisition of three leading Italian IT and ICT companies.
- Advised the Fomas Group subsidiary Mimete, operating in the hi-tech 3D industrial printing additive manufacturing sector, on its hi-tech joint venture with CDP Venture Capital SGR and Punch Torino.
- Advised TeleForte Telekommunikations AG (German telecommunications company) on regulatory and legal issues arising from its entry into the Italian and Spanish markets as an authorised telecoms operator.