Benefitting from a wide range of expertise, the team at Bird & Bird assists well known Italian and international brands across different practice areas including IP, dispute resolution, real estate, employment, compliance, commercial, M&A and tax. Stefano Silvestri and Giovanni Galimberti jointly head the practice. Afra Casiraghi, who recently made partner, is experienced in commercial issues, with a special focus on the retail and consumer goods sectors.
Industry focus: Retail in Italy
Stefano Silvestri; Giovanni Galimberti
Other key lawyers:
Massimiliano Mostardini; Afra Casiraghi; Arturo Leone; Elisabetta Bandera; Edoardo Barbera; Alberto Salvadè; Debora Stella
‘The experience, the knowledge of the subject, the pragmatism, the availability of the lawyer Arturo Leone make the study incomparable. The fact that the firm has an international network has also been of great help in the past.’
‘The experience, knowledge of the subject, the pragmatism, the availability of the lawyer Arturo Leone (whom I deeply respect) make the study incomparable. The collaborators he uses are experienced professionals in the field, always available, fast and constantly followed by his partner (Arturo Leone).’
‘Availability to an in-depth investigation into the topics of the project and the sector. Promptly updated on the new national and international rules and regulations.’
‘One of the first studios to have left behind certain formalisms and certain liturgies typical of the legal profession. The strong point is an innovative and creative approach, combined with excellent communication skills’
‘Massimilano Mostardini and Giovanni Galimberti lead a trained and cohesive team of professionals. In the litigation I found Elisabetta Bandera excellent who combines an excellent technical preparation with the ability to always find new and creative solutions, but above all effective, and Edoardo Barbera, efficient and quick in understanding and satisfying the customer’s needs.’
‘Studio B&B was able to provide us with 360° consultancy in the area of technology, media and telecommunications. Three other things, we availed ourselves of their assistance to prepare the General Conditions of Online Sale, and to adapt to the GDPR. The team proved to be diligent in responding to the questions raised and capable of giving excellent assistance in the international arena, through the network of professionals at its disposal. Internationality is certainly a characteristic feature of the firm, which differentiates it from other law firms we collaborate with.’
‘We particularly appreciate the competence and great availability of Avv. Alberto Salvade, who has been assisting the company for years and knows how to grasp the essence of the business, as well as the legal aspects that come to the fore. The lawyers Debora Stella and Rita Tardiolo, who supported us with great professionalism, also deserve a mention on our part.’
Consorzio a tutela del vino Morellino di Scansano
Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano
Consorzio del Prosciutto di San Daniele
Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco
Consorzio di tutela della mozzarella di Bufala
Consorzio per la tutela del formaggio Asiago
Consorzio Tutela Aceto Balsamico di Modena
Leroy Merlin Italia
Widex A/S-Widex Italia
- Advised Ferrero on trade marks issues in connection with the well-known Tic Tac fresh mints packaging.
- Advised Bricoman Italia on the purchase of several areas or buildings with the intention of developing a large scale structure and shops.
- Advised BMW Group on antitrust issues with particular reference to the planning and implementation of new business projects.
Led by Massimiliano Nitti, the retail foods and consumer goods team at Chiomenti assists brands with major acquisitions, product integration, compliance audits and new product launches, as well as revising online and off-line distribution strategies, and also contributing to the internationalisation of large holding companies. Antonio Tavella is head of restructuring; Giulia Battaglia specialises in finance transactions; Luigi Vaccaro and Franco Agopyan are experts in M&A; Emanuele Barberis handles employment matters and Paolo Bertoni handles IP.
Other key lawyers:
Antonio Tavella; Giulia Battaglia; Luigi Vaccara; Franco Agopyan; Emanuele Barberis; Paolo Bertoni
‘Team of absolute excellence, capable of managing extremely complex transactions that require multidisciplinary knowledge (eg M&A and corporate law, financial market law, antitrust, administrative-Golden power, regulatory).’
‘Professionalism and speed.’
BC Partners LLP S.p.A.
Casa Vinicola Zonini S.p.A.
Casoni Fabbricazione Liquori S.p.A.
Charterhouse Capital Partners LLP
Florette Holding S.A.S.
Gianni Versace S.p.A.
IF- Mariano Stelliferi S.r.l.
Immobiliare Grande Distribuzione Siiq
Kharis Capital Advisory Belgium Sprl
Lone Star Funds
Longino & Cardenal
Lottomatica Holdings SRL
Milano Investment Partners SGR
Morato Pane S.p.A. and Progetto Piadina S.p.A.
Njord Partners LLP
NUO Capital S.A.
Paladin Capital Partners S.p.A.
Preca Brummel S.p.A.
Sitoy AT Holdings Company Limited
SK Dionysus Holdings S.à.r.l.
Terme di San Vittore S.p.A.
- Advised DMO on the completion of the acquisition of IDS, a company that manages the retail chain (50 stores) of cosmetics, personal care and health care products under the brand name “Lillapois”, from its owner (Auchan Group).
- Advised one of the main shareholders of Tannico Spa, Italy’s leading e-commerce platform for the online sale of wines and premium spirits, on the sale of 49% of its share capital to the beverage giant Campari Group.
- Advised Morato Pane, a portfolio company of Aliante Partners, on the acquisition of the entire corporate capital of Cerealto Antequera S.L.U. factory from Cerealto Siro Foods S.L.
Standing out for its 'knowledge, efficiency and ability to manage complex situations', the team at DLA Piper offers a full range of services to retail clients. The practice predominantly acts for clients in the fashion and luxury, consumer goods, food and beverage, and large-scale distribution industries. The group is led by experienced litigator Davide Rossetti and Elena Varese, who assists with labelling and advertising regulations and the strategic management of IP portfolios.
Davide Rossetti; Elena Varese
‘DLA Piper has always demonstrated great business knowledge, efficiency and the ability to manage complex situations, in a collaborative and transparent environment.’
‘In the commercial, IP and advertising sector, I have been collaborating for several years with Elena Varese and her team. Elena has in-depth knowledge of the subject and of our business. She always manages to add value to the work and anticipates our requests. She can clearly convey complex concepts even to people without a legal background. Fast in replying, always available, attentive to detail and focused on results both in litigation and in opinion and negotiation activities. She has the ability to think outside the box and to convey confidence and enthusiasm.’
The team at Dentons assists retail clients with a range of issues. The practice is led by TMT expert Giangiacomo Olivi, who assists clients with regard to outsourcing and strategic commercial transactions in the retail sector. Recent work includes assisting Lavazza with signing a joint venture with Yum China Holdings to explore and develop the Lavazza coffee shop concept in China.
‘The expertise and professionalism of the lawyers. The network of Dentons offices all around the region is also a very appreciated point. The wide range of areas they are covering is helping a lot as well.’
‘Franchise, more generally commercial and privacy are areas of expertise of the lawyers I am working with. Dentons gives theoretical and practical advice to move forward on these areas in different jurisdictions.’
‘Partner Giangiacomo Olivi: Great competence, attention to the customer’s business needs, extreme flexibility in accommodating, even from a logistical point of view, the customer’s requests and excellent ability to relate to different subjects – not only of “legal ” extraction – all inside the customer structure.’
The retail practice at Legance - Avvocati Associati is led by real estate specialists Gabriele Capecchi and Giuseppe Abbruzzese. The practice is highly experienced in all aspects of real estate for the retail sector and has recently assisted with the acquisition and financing of several shopping centres and outlets throughout Italy. The firm recently assisted Hines Italy with the acquisition and related financing of a flagship building in via della Spiga 26, Milan.
Gabriele Capecchi; Giuseppe Abbruzzese
‘Competence, empathy, emotional intelligence, flexibility.’
‘I had the pleasure of working with Giuseppe Abbruzzese’s team in which Elena Generini was also there. High-level and profound professionals, strong negotiating skills, competence in the subject and empathy.’
‘Legance is a firm that maintains a high focus on the customer and which follows in all aspects related to a real estate transaction, from the due diligence process and the drafting of the sales contract, to the relationship and coordination between legal, technical and tax, also allowing the client to be able to delegate tasks that remain with the latter with other firms.’
Cale Street Partners
CBRE Global Investors
DeA Capital Real Estate
Fabrica Immobiliare SGR
FFF Asset management s.a.r.l.
Invesco Real Estate
JP Morgan Asset Management
Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Vestas Asset Management
- Assisted Hines with the acquisition and the related financing of a flagship building in via della Spiga 26, Milan.
- Assisted Société Générale with the financing in favour of Nuveen Real Estate in order to refinance the existing indebtedness relating to the “Serravalle” shopping factory outlet
- Assisted Fondo Dante (Kryalos SGR – Partners Group) with the sale of the Primavera shopping centre in Rome.
Gianni & Origoni
The team at Gianni & Origoni is experienced in assisting supermarkets and high street clothing retailers with corporate, financing, M&A and real estate deals. Clients include Esselunga, Coin Group and Westfield Milan. Mariasole Conticelli led on a recent deal for Central Retail Corporation which was the largest-ever Thai IPO listing.
Central Retail Corporation No
Gruppo Leonardo Caltagirone
Westfield Milan S.p.A.
DIP Capital LLP
- Assisted Ms. Giuliana Albera Caprotti, the second wife of Bernardo Caprotti, and their daughter Ms. Marina Sylvia, owning 70% of Supermarkets Italiani S.p.A., the parent company of Milan-based retailer Esselunga SpA (Esselunga), in the acquisition of the outstanding 30% share capital of Supermarkets Italiani S.p.A. owned by Giuseppe Caprotti and Violetta Caprotti (the Minority Shareholders, Berardo Caprotti’s children from his first marriage).
- Assisted Central Retail Corporation with the Italian legal aspects of its initial public offering.
- Assisted Coin Group with the sale of a 15% stake to Marco Marchi, the founder and chairman of the Liu Jo fashion group (through a share capital increase).
The retail team at Trevisan & Cuonzo is led by commercial and IP experts Gabriel Cuonzo, Luca Trevisan and Julia Holden. The firm assists clients producing fashion, jewellery, healthcare and household appliances with distribution and trade mark matters.
Gabriel Cuonzo; Luca Trevisan; Julia Holden
Tessilform (Patrizia Pepe)
- Assisted 3M with a broad and successful enforcement programme to actively protect the client’s trade mark rights in Italy.
- Assisted DDM in many retail issues at an international level, including the draft and negotiation of distribution agreements and agreements with its suppliers, subcontractors and shop-in-shop arrangements.