Industry focus: Retail in Italy
Bird & Bird's clients in the retail sector benefit from the firm's expertise across a wide range of practice areas. It has been kept busy recently handling IP, trade mark and patent work in the food and fashion industries, as well as tax, real estate and employment law more generally. Highlights included advising French multinational home improvement retailer Leroy Merlin on real estate matters in Padua, Vicenza and Ancona. Giovanni Galimberti and Stefano Silvestri jointly head the department. Alberto Salvadè is active in corporate matters; Gaetano Salvioli is noted for tax-related work; Antonella Ceschi is a key name for real estate; and Federico Marini-Balestra handles antitrust-related matters in the space.
Stefano Silvestri; Giovanni Galimberti
Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco
Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Advising Crocs on the restructuring of the production division of its Italian subsidiary EXO Italia and on the sale of assets to a core supplier.
- Advising Neronobile on the sale of a majority stake to EOS Investment Management.
- Assisting Bricoman Italia with the construction of a large new retail centre in Aprilia.
Headed by Massimiliano Nitti, the retail foods and consumer goods team at Chiomenti often advises high-profile clients in the food and fashion industries. Antonio Tavella is head of the business restructuring unit, Giulia Battaglia is active in finance, Luigi Vaccaro advises on M&A, restructuring and insurance, while Paolo Bertoni, who was made of counsel in January 2019, is a specialist in IP and cross-border IT matters. Edoardo Canetta Rossi Palermo is noted for his 'passion, dedication, real interest in solving problems and delivering value'.
‘Edoardo Canetta has passion, dedication, real interest in solving problems and delivering value.’
- Assisting Pasta Zara with a petition for admission to a pre-insolvency workout agreement with creditors worth €300m.
- Advising QuattroR on the acquisition of the majority of the Trussardi Group in a deal worth €60m.
- Assisting Bibis Group with the sale of a minority stake in RCH worth €50m.
DLA Piper's global consumer goods, food and retail team advises on the setting up of new product lines, assisting companies when entering new markets, and brand and IP protection and regulatory compliance. Davide Rossetti specialises in litigation and regulatory matters, and is an expert in distribution, sale and purchase, procurement, sub-contracting, service agreements and logistics. Clients include global brands in the fashion and food industries. Recent highlights include successfully defending Italian supermarket chain Iper against a €3.6m compensation claim. Elena Varese is also noted.
Davide Rossetti; Elena Varese
Ballarini Paolo e Figli
Industries Sportswear Companies
Dolce & Gabbana
- Acting for Brioni in a dispute concerning the unauthorised use of its trade mark and garments by a Roman museum in the course of an unofficial exhibition.
- Assisting Ballarini Paolo e Figli with negotiating a design agreement with Smeg for a new line of pots and pans incorporating both parties’ respective IP rights.
- Advising Calzedonia on its e-commerce website in relation to limitations deriving from the applicability of the EU Geo-blocking Regulation.
Headed by highly regarded TMT specialist Giangiacomo Olivi, the retail team at Dentons acts for a number of high-profile clients primarily in the fashion sector. The team has recently provided assistance with IP, GDPR implementation, real estate and employment law, as well as contentious and non-contentious matters concerning e-commerce, trade marks and distribution. The team was able to draw on its strength in cross-border work and the firm's extensive network to assist global luxury eyewear brand Luxottica with e-commerce activities, and to advise Italian kitchen company Gruppo Rino Snaidero on the opening of Snaidero China.
‘Dentons’ team is expert in the franchise area.’
‘The experience of Giangiacomo Olivi is invaluable.’
Chapter 4 Supreme
Gruppo Rino Snaidero
- Representing Diesel in a design litigation case worth €500,000.
- Assisting OVS with the negotiation of franchising agreements in several jurisdictions worldwide.
- Acting for Chapter 4 Supreme on several preliminary proceedings in major trade mark cases in several jurisdictions worldwide.
Legance - Avvocati Associati, which is praised for its 'excellent business initiative' and 'flexibility', provides multidisciplinary advice to clients in the retail sector. Co-heads of the retail team Gabriele Capecchi and Giuseppe Abbruzzese have expertise in corporate and M&A, finance, tax and administrative law. The practice is highly experienced in all aspects of real estate for the retail sector, and the team has recently been involved in a number of high-profile matters, including Invesco Real Estate's acquisition of Garage Traversi in Milan. The team also provides cross-border assistance; for example, Capecchi was instrumental in assisting P+P Studio with the opening of the Flannels concept store in London in 2018.
Gabriele Capecchi; Giuseppe Abbruzzese
Invesco Real Estate
Corum Asset Management
Generali Real Estate
- Assisting Hines Italy with the acquisition and financing of a flagship building in Milan.
- Advising Fondo UIU, managed by Torre SGR, on the sale of a real estate portfolio in Rome with an overall surface of almost 25,000 square meters, two shopping centres and 20 apartments in a deal worth €117m.
- Assisting the Borletti Group, Dea Real Estate Advisor and Aedes SIIQ, as sponsors of a development of a luxury outlet in San Marino, involving international investors, in a deal worth €150m.
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners is active in advising clients in the retail sector on M&A, tax and real estate law; it also can assist with data protection matters. Domenico Tulli, Vittorio Zucchelli and Francesco Selogna are particularly strong in M&A. Zucchelli's expertise in tax law was also instrumental in the firm's advice on CRC's restructuring of its retail activities in September 2019 in a matter worth €800m.
Grandi Stazioni Retail
- Assisting Centenary with the acquisition of the entire share capital of Coin.
- Advising ABA on the sale of Meglio to Bolton Group International.
- Advising Waltherpark on the financing of and on legal and zoning issues relating to a real estate development re-shaping the city centre of Bolzano.
The retail and consumer products industry group at Latham & Watkins LLP is headed in Italy by Stefano Sciolla, an M&A specialist who is frequently involved in private equity, joint ventures and cross-border work. The practice is very active in matters related to corporate law and financing, counting a number of banks among its clients. Recent highlights include advising The Carlyle Group on its joint venture with Investindustrial to create a global high-end interior design group, a matter which required multijurisdictional expertise and which also involved the firm's offices in the US, UK and Belgium.
The Carlyle Group
Banca Finanziaria Internazionale
- Advising Farfetch on the acquisition of New Guards Group.
- Advising Bluegem on the acquisition of Pool Service.
- Assisting IVS with a financing agreement entered into with a pool of banks to support the growth strategy of the group in a deal worth €150m.
Trevisan & Cuonzo's retail team, which is headed by Gabriel Cuonzo, Luca Trevisan and Julia Holden, covers a diverse range of practice areas. Areas of expertise include M&A, IP and commercial agreements. Many of the firm's clients are in the fashion, jewellery, healthcare and home design sectors. Head of the commercial department Francesca Ferrero is noted for her diverse expertise in corporate and commercial law, IP, commercial litigation and labour law. Recent highlights include acting for 3M in a broad and successful enforcement programme to actively protect the company’s trade mark rights in Italy.
Gabriel Cuonzo; Luca Trevisan; Julia Holden