Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Astolfo Di Amato & Associati-Avvocati
Astolfo Di Amato e Associati is recommended as a leading Italian law firm for Litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution practice. The Firm has gained an extensive experience in civil and criminal litigation, international and local arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution.View Profile...
Dispute resolution in Italy
The 'dedicated, creative, and reputable' dispute resolution team at BonelliErede enhanced its already impressive credentials with the acquisition of a team of outstanding individuals from Lombardi e Associati, with which it merged in July 2019. The now expanded practice advises companies on disputes relating to corporate matters, bankruptcy, banking and insurance, as well as acting for private clients such as directors and shareholders in liability matters, as well as countries, authorities and institutions. Vittorio Allavena leads the practice, which also includes an international arbitration team. Joint coordinator Giuseppe Lombardi has longstanding expertise in corporate, banking and insolvency disputes. Riccardo Bordi, who specialises in energy, transport and infrastructure, was promoted to the partnership in February 2019.
Vittorio Allavena; Giuseppe Lombardi; Laurence Shore
‘The lawyers have great intellectual and practical capacities. They are proactive and highly efficient professionals.’
‘Riccardo Bordi has very high professional skills and he is particularly pleasant to work with.’
‘The team not only provides great legal judgement but also advises in a timely manner’.
‘They are able to provide assistance in a short time and with a qualified answer.’
‘Monica Iacoviello has decades of experience in sophisticated legal matters. She is fast, reliable and prompt. Paolo di Giovanni represents clients in complex disputes, including arbitrations. He is scrupulous, dedicated and experienced. ‘
‘Gianfranco Veneziano and Riccardo Bordi are top-notch, excellent litigators.’
Danieli & C. Officine
Piaggio Group Americas
- Assistance to Alstom Ferroviaria – the Italian subsidiary of the French multinational company Alstom and one of the leading players in the Italian railway transport industry – in a dispute against the members of a consortium created for the construction of the Italian high-speed railway system, of which Alstom is a member
- Assistance to the Italian banking group Monte dei Paschi di Siena in a variety of legal issues related to some civil and criminal proceedings, connected, inter alia, to two multibillionaire structured repo transactions executed by BMPS, respectively with Deutsche Bank in 2008 and Nomura International in 2009.
- Assistance to Ubi Banca in relation to several lawsuits brought against UBI by shareholders and subordinated bondholders cancelled following the resolution measures implemented for Italian banks Banca Marche and Banca Etruria.
ArbLit – Radicati di Brozolo Sabatini Benedettelli Torsello
Luca Radicati Di Brozolo and Michele Sabatini came together to found ArbLit – Radicati di Brozolo Sabatini Benedettelli Torsello in 2013, and were subsequently joined by Massimo Benedettelli and Marco Torsello. The firm now comprises those original four partners and nine other lawyers, who make up a strong team at this well-regarded international arbitration and litigation boutique. Its clients come from a wide variety of sectors, including renewable energy, oil and gas, engineering, construction, insurance, food and telecoms. The firm also recently engaged in a trainee acquisition campaign that brought four new members to the team.
‘Small boutique with excellent capabilities in dispute resolution’
‘Marco Torsello is an outstanding individual – he combines experience with a strong academic background’.
‘An international and professional boutique firm of the kind you hardly come across in Italy’
Ipvic – International Photovoltaic Investors Club
Maire Tecnimont S.p.a.
Gcf – Generale Costruzioni Ferroviarie
Impresa Pizzarotti S.p.a.
Ste Energy S.p.a.
Medical systems S.p.a.
- Representing Natland Investment Group before the Swiss Federal Tribunal in connection with the challenge of the Partial Award in PCA Case No 2013-35, which was obtained by ARBLIT in December 2017 against the Czech Republic.
- Representing a Mexican subsidiary of Tenova Group before the Court of Appeal of Milan in connection with the challenge of an ICC Partial Award rendered in favour of the client.
- Assisted the major US insurance company AmTrust as lead counsel in multi-billion arbitration proceedings against its former Italian broker and in arbitration-related proceedings before Italian courts.
Chiomenti's dispute resolution practice is characterised by its expertise in commercial matters, insolvency, international arbitration and competition. The firm's clients include international banks, insurers, media companies, fashion houses and investment funds, all of which receive sector-specific and cross-border assistance, thanks to the firm's membership in the Lex Mundi international network. Ennio Maria Cicconi's departure in December 2018 triggered a series of changes within Silvio Martuccelli's team; Mikaela Valan and Gerolamo Vinci were made counsel, Antonio Donato was elevated to managing counsel and Massimo Proto joined as of Counsel in January 2020, contributing to the expansion of the litigation practice into sports law.
‘Constant and reliable presence both in the pure litigation and in the amicable settlement of disputes.’
‘Stefano Passeri deserves a particular mention for his dedication, availability and attention to the customer.’
SG Leasing S.p.A.
Mc Donald’s Italy
BNP Paribas – BNL S.p.A.
RCS MediaGroup S.p.A. and RCS Sport S.p.A.
Cinecittà Studios S.p.A.
Aviva Italia Holding S.p.A.
Gruppo Aliante Partners
Impresa Grassetto S.p.A.
Federative Republic of Brazil
Paolo Benedetti and Rosa Pannucci
Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC
Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A.
Vincenzo Zucchi S.p.A.
- Advising Aviva Italia Holding before the Italian Courts regarding coverage under life insurance policies and alleged breach of informative duties in favour of consumers.
- Advising Cooperativa Muratori e Cementisti in a lawsuit pending before the Court of Appeal of Milan in connection with an award made in 2012 by an arbitral tribunal regarding a dispute arising with the construction of a luxury hotel in Khartoum, Sudan.
- Advising Impresa Grassetto in the context of civil proceedings brought before the Court of Milan by Ferrovienord, claiming the payment of approximately €70m.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
The team at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton - which is led by Ferdinando Emanuele in Rome and Carlo Santoro in Milan - is viewed as having 'without a doubt the go-to partners' for disputes advice in Italy. The practice's extensive expertise is particularly appreciated in cases covering civil, commercial, and competition law, involving aviation and aerospace, banking and finance, telecoms and sporting clients.
Ferdinando Emanuele; Carlo Santoro
‘Ferdinando Emanuele is the best litigator I have worked with.’
‘Very competent advice with a personal touch.’
‘They are always prepared to go the extra mile.’
‘The litigation team of Cleary is impressive: they are well prepared, fast and consistent in terms of delivery and quality of their work. There is no other team in the Italian market that can give a client both national and international expertise better than Cleary.’
‘Carlo Santoro has unparalleled in-court and out-of-court technical skills, a sophisticated and effective legal strategy and a strong work ethic. He really takes the time to fully understand the client’s business and is always aware of the particular needs of each client. Additionally, he gives great importance to having continuous communication with the client throughout the proceedings and he is always available when you need him.’
‘Natural attitude to tackle disputes and pursue the best results.’
‘The team has a clear understanding of how the client operates and offers excellent co-operation to elaborate a strategy. Excellent and timely reporting and delivery.’
‘Ferdinando Emanuele and Roberto Argeri are always available and have a clear view of disputes, providing very accurate and sharp advice on how to manage disputes and pursue the client’s goals. Excellent track record.’
The team at Clifford Chance is composed of three partners, each covering a specific area of disputes: banking and finance by well-regarded practice head Fabio Guastadisegni; white collar crime by Antonio Golino and new counsel Giuseppe Principato; and commercial and restructuring law, dealt with by Carlo Felice Giampaolino. The firm is also looking to expand its arbitration expertise. Key clients including foreign businesses or large corporations in Italy, which are 'successfully advised on highly complex cases', including those with an insolvency, banking, tax or corruption component. Associate Andrea Tuninetti Ferrari is recommended.
‘The team is quite unique in Italy in terms of its direct client approach, specific knowledge of financial matters, due diligence skills, court interaction and transparency.’
‘The team has the ability to coordinate between different teams in a timely matter. Andrea Tuninetti Ferrari is very helpful, cooperative and available and has good writing and communication skills, as well as a calm and considerate style, including when under considerable pressure and time constraints.’
‘The practice displays professionality, knowledge of insurance matters and is fully committed and passionate.’
- Advising Citibank in relation to Parmalat’s collapse.
- Assisted ATAC, the transport company owned by the Municipality of Rome, in relation to diffent topcis, among which a dispute with a prominent international bank for the sale of a 30-storey building which was part of a major Italian scandal.
- Acting for two former employees of Banca Monte Paschi di Siena – Pompeo Pontone and Giorgio Filipetto – in criminal proceedings arising from the downfall of the bank.
Recognised for its expertise in insurance disputes, in recent years the well-positioned litigation department at DLA Piper has been expanding even further, opening up to new clients from different sectors, such as banking, and through new hires. The areas of commercial, corporate and financial litigation are already cemented, while energy, insolvency and, thanks to Davide Rossetti's engagement, fashion are on the rise. Corporate governance expert Nicolò Abriani joined the firm in 2018, and the team also grew with the additions of counsel Ettore Maria Lombardi from Studio Abriani, legal director Alessia Marconi from Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams and four other lawyers. Practice head Stefano Modenesi's large team, which includes the 'very skilled' Bruno Giuffré, also assists private clients in tax matters.
‘DLA Piper’s litigation team provides an outstanding level of service, with particular attention on finding solutions and keeping the client always updated. The lawyers show an excellent level of professionalism, together with remarkable technical knowledge of the matters.’
‘Stefano Modenesi is highly professional and responsive.’
‘Timeliness, knowledge of the sector and flexibility distinguish the DLA team from other firms operating in the same sector. Davide Rossetti is very dynamic and has acquired specific knowledge of the characteristics of the fashion industry. He integrates normative knowledge with commercial knowledge in the fashion and luxury sectors.’
‘Constant assistance and availability’
‘Andrea Pantaleo, Marco Dimola and David Marino are high level counsels who provide constant support and qualified advice.’
Swiss Re Europe SA, Italian Branch
Toyota Financial Services (UK) PLC, Italian Branch
Beni Stabili S.p.A.
ANDIE Insurance, Italian Branch
IPER Group (GDO)
- Contentious strategic advice to longstanding client AIG Europe, for example in relation to a liability action brought by two major Italian insurers against 38 defendants including their former directors and statutory auditors.
- Assisted the fund NEM before the Court of Milan in the claim filed by a shareholder of Maccorp for declaring null and void the right of conversion in share of certain financial instruments issued by the company.
- Assisted Sant’Armonio, a company controlled by a Russian tycoon, in the development of a five star hotel project in Monte San Savino near Arezzo and in related litigation.
With a large portfolio of corporate, commercial, product liability and consumer goods litigation cases, Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners has one of the most recognised dispute resolution practices in Italy. The team is led by co-founder GianBattista Origoni, Antonio Auricchio (who is strong in bankruptcy and financial services matters) and senior litigator and corporate restructuring lawyer Paolo Gnignati, who represents clients in arbitration procedures and negotiations. That trio and their team are regularly involved in high-value and precedent-setting cases.
GianBattista Origoni; Antonio Auricchio; Paolo Gnignati
‘An infrequent combination of quality of assistance and the ability to work in a team – providing the client with excellent and rapid assistance in disputes that require many different skills.’
‘Excellent professionalism and technical preparation, ability to understand events and to guide the client in the management of the dispute and in the choices of strategy’
‘Outstanding litigators, business-focused and with constant attention to the client’s need. A very practical approach.’
‘GianBattista Origoni and Federico Busatta are able to identify risks and relevant solutions since the very first phase of the dispute and assist the client in avoiding trial.’
Wind Tre S.p.A.
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
EDF Électricité de France
CDP Immobiliare S.r.l.
Generali Italia S.p.A.
Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A.
Veneto Banca in liquidazione coatta
Finanziaria Internazionale S.p.A.
Allanza Assicurazioni S.p.A.
- Represented Bridgestone Europe in proceedings before the highest chamber of the Supreme Court to affirm the jurisdiction of an international arbitral tribunal (instead of the Italian court system) in a litigation case concerning credits originated by a contract (with an arbitral jurisdiction) and then transferred to third parties.
- Representing the liquidator of Veneto Banca, Finanziaria Internazionale and Gianfranco Zoppas in the dispute arising from the resolution for a capital increase by Ferak, passed on January 30, 2018.
- Assisting BNP-Fund Celio in arbitration proceedings commenced by K-Flex BNP – in its role as the management company of Fund Celio – and Accademia S.G.R. – in its role as the management company of Fund Gennaker – before the Arbitral Chamber of Milan.
Legance - Avvocati Associati, which has a combined department, active in both litigation and arbitration, offers a 'unique legal service'. It is split across Milan and Rome and comprises civil litigation as well as national and international arbitration on topics of finance, banking, corporate (especially post-M&A disputes) and commercial relevance. Key clients include funds and banks, as well as companies in the energy, automotive, aviation and shipping sectors; the team has particular expertise in insolvency work, while it also has capacity relating to social media and internet matters. A series of promotions to counsel and the advancement of Daria Pastore to partnership have bolstered the team, while practice heads Daniele Geronzi and Stefano Parlatore remain very appreciated lawyers. Cecilia Carrara is another strong member of the team.
Stefano Parlatore; Daniele Geronzi
‘Professionalism and easy to communicate with.’
‘Their response is always very swift and comprehensive. All the legal strategies have been always based on a business approach that would bring the most efficient result for the issue at hand.’
‘The lawyers are able to manage legal issues of clients with cross-border activities.’
‘Stefano Parlatore translates local laws into a wider strategy and applies it efficiently in the negotiations with the opponent.’
‘Giuseppe D’Amore is very knowledgeable and able to synthesize the relevant information provided in relation to various legal issues and recognize those on which one needs to focus at a certain moment in time.’
‘They are able to handle a broad range of disputes and the quality of work has always been excellent. They are fast and proactive as well as business oriented, understanding the clients’ needs. The overall level of service is at the top among the potential competitors. Thanks to the practice’s capability to evaluate all the profiles and alternative approaches of a dispute, as well as to their longstanding expertise, Legance’s lawyers are able to put in place the most efficient procedural strategy. The different practices of Legance are very well integrated and linked. This makes it much easier for the dispute resolution team to deeply understand and consider all the potential aspects of a litigation case.’
‘Daniele Geronzi has extensive experience in litigation. He is proactive, responsive and commercially oriented, as well as extremely bright, fast thinking and knowledgeable on all technicalities of dispute resolution.’
‘An excellent independent law firm with expert lawyers. Stefano Parlatore is an excellent lawyer in banking and finance litigation and in insolvency and restructuring matters, responsive and with experience in multi-jurisdictional cases.
‘Daniele Geronzi and Francesca Colantoni are always available for the client, personally involved in all the files and greatly capable of understanding business fundamentals and technical aspects of a case. Available and flexible in supporting negotiation and tactics.’
2i Rete Gas
2i rete Gas Impianti
Banca Popolare di Milano S.p.A.
Bank of China
British American Tobacco
Carnival Cruise Line
Gruppo Poste Italiane
Henkel Italia S.r.l.
Impresa Pizzarotti & C. S.p.A.
Intesa SanPaolo/Banca IMI
Mercedes Benz Italia
MPS – Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A.
Parma Calcio 1913 S.r.l.
Republic of Kazakhstan
Roland Berger Strategy Consultants
Twenty Century Fox
- Assistance to Air Total International in a litigation matter concerning the declaration of unlawfulness and consequent restitution of the so-called airport fees, i.e. the cost component paid by the airlines in addition to the price of jet-fuel for refuelling at the airports facilities.
- Legal assistance to the Republic of Kazakhstan in the judicial proceedings commenced before the Court of Appeal of Rome and, after the decision rendered by the Court of Appeal, before the Italian Supreme Court of Cassation, in order to oppose recognition and enforcement in Italy of a SCC arbitral award obtained by Gabriel Stati, Anatolie Stati, Ascom Group and Terra Raf Trans Trading against the State.
- The firm assisted successfully Aveleos, a joint venture between Renova Group (Russia) and Enovos Group (Luxembourg) operating in the Italian renewable energy business, in an arbitration before the Milan Chamber of Arbitration.
Nctm Studio Legale has a well-established dispute resolution department, which manages national and international corporate and commercial cases as well as disputes involving regulatory bodies. The team, under the leadership of Alberto Toffoletto, handles matters relating to energy, pharma, tax, telecoms, IP and antitrust, as well as cases in front of the courts of the European Union. Angelo Anglani is a crucial figure in many national and international arbitration cases, while the team was also significantly boosted by the promotions of Christian Romeo, Ivan Lamponi and Gianluca Massimei to equity partner, taking the number of partners in the team above 20.
‘Personal attention from a dedicated partner with scrupulous attention to detail.’
‘Alberto Toffoletto and Luca Toffoletti have great knowledge and unique capacity to understand the needs of the clients and to find the tailored legal solution.’
‘Unique approach in terms of management of their legal services’
‘They are simply better than the others. Always smart, perfect in time management and great business-oriented approach.’
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
DeAgostini (former DeA Partecipazioni) S.p.A.
Cooperativa Muratori & Cementisti-C.M.C. di Ravenna Società Cooperativa
Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A
Hypo Alpe-Adria Bank S.p.A.
ERG Power S.r.l.
Ceva Logistics Italia S.r.l.
ABC Investimenti S.r.l.
- Advising Telecom Italia, the main and largest telecoms provider in Italy, in a follow-on antitrust damages action brought by Vodafone.
- Advising Strabag in a dispute concerning the construction of the Pedemontana Lombarda Motorway, one of the most important road construction projects in Europe.
- Advising Falck in two civil actions raised by Milanosesto before the Court of Milan.
Pedersoli Studio Legale counts on the extensive litigation expertise of Carlo Pedersoli and the 'very available and smart' Andrea Magliani. Corporate, commercial and banking litigation are all strong areas; cases involving family-owned business cases are also a notable area of expertise, and white-collar crime matters are increasingly a focus. In this area, Enrico Maria Mancuso's work is particularly appreciated.
Carlo Pedersoli; Andrea Magliani
‘Our working relationship with Studio Pedersoli is extremely positive and is manifested through an efficient, punctual and innovative service from the point of view of the solutions proposed to the various cases.’
‘The team offers an activity based on maximum collaboration, precision and timeliness. Each proposed solution is relevant and highly innovative.’
‘The team is very professional and often outshines those of other firms; they have smooth interactions with other departments ‘
‘Enrico Mancuso and Federico Bracalente are both very professional and flexible.’
- Assistance to the former cChairman of Carige, Cesare Castelbarco Albani, in the liability action brought against him by Carige bank, as well as against the former CEO, Piero Luigi Montani, the American fund Apollo and the insurance group Amissima.
- Assisting the client, an Italian subsidiary of a worldwide leading innovator of equipment and software for radiotherapy, charged with criminal association allegedly aimed at committing several bid-rigging offences in criminal proceedings pending before the Court of Monza.
- Assisting the former owner and legal representative of the Italian B League football team Palermo, which is currently involved in criminal proceedings pending before the Prosecution Office of Palermo for alleged corporate and false accounting crimes related to the management of the football club.
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato
With a strong track record advising banks and other financial institutions, Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato handles the full range of contentious matters, covering finance, corporate and commercial litigation to investigations, white-collar crime and arbitrations both in Italy and, thanks to the firm's vast global network, on an international basis. Practice head Massimo Greco and Amilcare Sada are very well-regarded, while Martina Rossi is an associate to watch.
‘Massimo Greco – very experienced, pragmatic, great availability, smart’
‘Very good understanding of Italian litigation culture and dynamics, underpinned by strong technical knowledge’
‘Amilcare Sada: strong client focus, commercial mindset’
‘Excellent advice, trusted advisers, very user-friendly, excellent experience in the Italian legal market.’
‘Massimo Greco and Amilcare Sada are a great team. Massimo has a huge amount of experience to draw upon. Amilcare Sada provides excellent advice and is dedicated to his clients. The team they have built is also truly impressive. They are all a real pleasure to work with.’
‘Strong financial services litigation team – Knowledgeable and experienced. Good cross border experience.’
‘Amilcare Sada – very knowledgeable and always available’
‘On the point legal advice on multi-party Italian litigation; precise and weighted information and analyses of procedural particularities; paired with straight-forwarded legal advice’
‘Friendly, client-focussed team’
‘Amilcare Sada – very client-friendly, very keen to help translate the challenges of the Italian legal system for those of us used to the UK system, easy to deal with. ‘
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato
The litigation department at Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato is continuing its recent trajectory of expansion, which has included the 2018 hire of Christian Patelmo. Francesco Grilletta, who joined Margherita Barié's team in March 2019 from SZA Studio Legale, has added far-reaching expertise in litigation - particularly in the banking and energy sectors. This matches co-head Salvatore Nolasco's background and complements the firm's capacity in the industrial engineering and pharma spaces. Barié is also particularly active in intellectual property litigation.
Margherita Barié; Salvatore Nolasco
‘Responsive, knowledgeable, available. Great value for money.’
‘Partners Christian Patelmo and Massimo Marconi are exceptionally good lawyers.’
Consorzio Coop Nord Ovest
Columbia Sportswear Italy
The European Investment Fund
Zurich Insurance Company
Ralph Lauren Fashion Europe
Mazda Motor Europe
- Represented Paciotti, a leading Italian top shoe manufacturer, in two complex sets of proceedings involving real estate property, within the Milan fashion district centre, where an historic store of group was located.
- Working closely with German firm Loschelder Rechtsänwalte to assist Mazda Motor Europe in the enforcement, in Italy, of a decision delivered by a German court in a dispute against a former executive, a German citizen.
- Appointed by Kem One, the second largest European PVC producer, in a litigation concerning the activation of a commercial letter of patronage issued by the parent company of GDS, an Italian company, which formerly manufactured and supplied vinyl materials and is now a pre-bankruptcy procedure.
At De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani, litigation, arbitration and mediation are divided into three ad hoc sub-practices, respectively led by founding partner Maria Cristina Franchini, Michelangelo Cicogna and of counsel Giovanni de Berti. The specific teams are staffed by teams of professionals from the firm's two Italian offices in Milan and Rome. The firm, which also has bases in Brussels and Moscow, combines international and cross-border litigation with private international law, advising clients on real estate and insolvency, IP and commercial matters, as well as product, medical and pharmaceutical liability. Andrew G. Paton is qualified in Australia, England and Wales and Italy.
Maria Cristina Franchini; Michelangelo Cicogna; Giovanni De Berti
‘Incredible professionality and knowledge of all matters’
‘Michelangelo Cicogna is a very good lawyer; very keen on arbitration, very good arbitrator and totally independent, even when he is party-appointed’
‘The different teams of this practice are the best mix of competence, creativity and helpfulness’
‘Roberto Jacchia has vast knowledge. Michelangelo Cicogna is a perfect negotiator. All the partners can easily deal with international issues, no matter what language they have to use.’
‘Dispute lawyers on an international level’
‘Michelangelo Cigogna – extremely knowledgeable, a pleasure to work with’
Arup Italia Srl
Culligan italiana Spa
Enel servizio elettrico Spa
Sace Fct Spa
Tia Tirana International Airport Shpk
Vix Technology Group
Volvo Group Italia Spa
- Represented both Servizio Elettrico Nazionale, part of ENEL group, and SACE Fct, owned by Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (prime finance agency in Italy), in a case against the Italian State to obtain reimbursement of lower energy tariffs.
- Represented Volvo Group Italia Spa in a litigation pending before the Court of Milan for breach of license and distribution agreement, abuse of dominant position, breach of antitrust law and abuse of right.
- Advised Vix Technology Italia on legal Proceedings against ATAC for recovery of receivables for software maintenance services provided, including assisting the client in the proceedings brought by ATAC seeking the approval of a creditors’ arrangement in continuation.
Advising across a variety of areas, from civil to administrative and public law, the dispute resolution team at Dentons 'consistently delivers excellent results.' The domestic offering in corporate and commercial disputes and banking and finance matters, as well as arbitration, is complemented by the international Europe litigation group. Both the Italian and European teams are headed up by much-praised Sara Biglieri. In January 2019, the department acquired new talents from Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton and Luca Santa Maria e Associati - Roberto Fabio Lipari and Matteo Vizzardi, both experienced litigators with a strong understanding of white-collar crime. Partner Davide Traina also often acts in real estate disputes.
‘The team is well prepared and has the capacity to effectively cooperate and integrate with other practice teams if the case needs expertise in specific areas of law. The team is able to build good strategies to manage complex cases. They are reactive and able to meet deadlines and clients’ requests ‘
‘Sara Biglieri is very reactive and focused on the client’s needs. She is able to give effective and practical advice. Her strengths are problem-solving, project management of complex cases and the capacity to find practical solutions which are able to meet client’s needs.’
‘Luca De Benedetto has a very deep knowledge of procedural rules. He combines the capacity to deeply analyze complex cases with the ability to prepare the best and more effective strategy to manage the case’
‘Sara Biglieri and her team are very expert and helpful, they understand client needs.’
‘Sara Biglieri and her team are very competent and have an organizational structure capable of offering legal assistance on different aspects. They are available, precise and on time in communication/drafting acts.’
‘Roberto Lipari deserves a special mention for his tremendously in-depth knowledge of both substantive and procedural civil and criminal law rules, matched with a very pragmatic approach in the resolution of any kind of disputes and outstanding talent in the development and presentation of defensive arguments.’
‘They consistently deliver excellent results and provide good counsel.’
‘Sara Biglieri and her team are diligent and responsive and consistently provide us with well-reasoned and insightful advice. They have an excellent understanding of the courts and guide us appropriately.’
‘Davide Traina is very available and always ready to provide quick responses and advice. Input, markups, documents etc are delivered within the agreed timelines, which makes him a very reliable business partner.’
‘Sara Biglieri is a very solid lawyer and brilliant in finding creative solutions.’
‘Very good reputation and network; strong motivation and technical capabilities; Adherence to customer needs and requests.’
‘Considerable understanding of the dynamics of dispute resolution, responsiveness and good teamwork.’
‘Davide Traina is an outstanding lawyer. He has extensive knowledge of litigation and arbitration and he is able to communicate with clients in a clear and effective manner.’
‘Matteo Vizzardi is highly professional, experienced, cooperative. Fast in providing opinions’
‘Very professional and highly involved team, capable of handling a broad range of complex disputes’
‘Sara Biglieri has excellent expertise and impressive capabilities and fields a large team of lawyers who are able to assist on all types of litigation’
Astana Property Management LLC
Loc Group Limited
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in association with the Law Firm of Salah Al-Hejailan
US firm Greenberg Traurig officially opened in Milan in July 2019 via a combination with longstanding ally Santa Maria Studio Legale Associato, creating Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria. Alberto Santa Maria is a recognised litigator and arbitrator who deals with restructuring, bankruptcy, corporate and M&A disputes for companies in the pharmaceutical, automotive and banking sectors. Claudio Biscaretti di Ruffìa specialises in antitrust, state aid, and international trade-related litigation.
Alberto Santa Maria; Claudio Biscaretti di Ruffia
- Advised a plastic component supplier in litigation regarding contractual breach and abusive behavior
- Advised Bracco on international litigation regarding a contractual breach.
- Advised Suissegas on international energy litigation.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's dispute resolution team, which handles a wide variety of cases, is made up of experts on product liability, product safety and compliance, also advising on corporate and commercial litigation, as well as banking and insurance and investigations. Litigation head Francesca Rolla also leads the investigations, white-collar crime and fraud group and co-heads the global aerospace, defence, and government services team. She is particularly active in the life sciences sector, while her Rome-based colleague Andrea Atteritano is a recognised arbitrator.
With a strong track record in corporate, finance and IP litigation, Mondini Rusconi Studio Legale has a well-established position in the Italian disputes panorama. The well-regarded Paolo Flavio Mondini and Giacomo Bonelli, whose focus lies in unfair competition and new technologies, are at the head of the team, which offers 'very high profile and detailed support'.
Paolo Flavio Mondini; Giacomo Bonelli
‘Professionals of unique standing and capabilities’
‘Paolo Mondini is a well-known professor of law and an excellent standing professional. His assistance as a lawyer and his reasoning as an arbitrator put him in the top five lawyers in Italy.’
‘Paolo Flavio Mondini has a strong reputation and an amazing technical and scientific expertise.’
‘Complete availability, competence and customer support on any subject, timeliness in the response’
‘Compared to other firms, they are always available to understand the specific needs of the customer, are versatile in their skills and respond very quickly to questions’
Banca Popolare Sondrio
Giò Ponti’s heirs
- Represented Banca Popolare di Sondrio in a litigation concerning the legitimacy of a statutory transformation into a new corporate form of the bank.
- Advising ANAS, the Italian government-owned company that performs construction and maintenance on Italian motorways, in a dispute that arose among the shareholders.
- Representing ENI gas e luce in a case of fraud of a gas distributor.
The dispute resolution practice at Pavia e Ansaldo is jointly headed by Marina Santarelli and Maurizio Vasciminni. Based in Milan and Rome respectively, they coordinate two teams, whose caseloads include administrative and civil disputes, taxation, real estate and finance matters. A series of promotions in April 2019 boosted the number of partners in the team up to six.
Marina Santarelli; Maurizio Vasciminni
‘Marco Giustiniani and Giovanni Gigliotti deserve a mention for their great preparation, oratory abilities and professional standing which is also recognized by the courts.’
‘Giada Russo is a stand-out associate.’
Actavis Italy S.p.A.
Hirmer (former Travel Charme)
Lufthansa Technik AG
Siemens Healthcare S.r.l.
Siemens Transformer S.p.A.
- Representing a contractor in a landmark dispute arising from the 1980 Irpinia earthquake in southern Italy.
- Representing Taxiblu 4040 and Autoradiotassì 8585, two Italian taxi companies in a successful appeal which will have huge implications for the sector.
- Acting for DeA Capital Real Estate, one of Italy’s leading real estate funds, in its successful appeal before the Rome Court of Appeals.
Cartel investigations and regulatory litigation, together with banking and finance, competition and corporate disputes are all part of Bird & Bird's skill set, but the clear focus of the disputes team is IP litigation. Giovanni Galimberti draws praise for his patent and trademark litigation practice and understanding of the regulatory framework.
ATM – Azienda Trasporti Molisana
Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano
Consorzio del Prosecco
Thyssenkrupp Elevator Italia S.p.A.
- Assisted the Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco in a dispute regarding the violation of the PDO in Germany against a German company that used the sign PERISECCO to distinguish its aromatized wine-based cocktails.
- Obtained a historic decision by the Italian Constitutional Court on the market abuse regime.
- Assisted the famous Italian luxury footwear brand René Caovilla in the protection of its exclusive rights, particularly regarding its historic Snake sandal.
Eversheds Sutherland Associazione Professionale has particularly strong links to the energy sector, fuelling the litigation department with oil and gas multinational clients - Simone Barnaba is the main contact in this field. The rest of the team, led by Renato Fiumalbi and including particularly well-reputed Mariafrancesca De Leo, are valued for their 'ability to handle international relations with great professionality', especially in relation to financial institutions, and 'to handle litigation cases at a high technical level', with particular focus on financial services, engineering and manufacturing, fashion and infrastructure.
‘The team has specialist expertise in financial services disputes and investigations and while they are all rounded litigators and have a depth of knowledge of the industry which is almost unique in the Italian market.’
‘Mariafrancesca De Leo is an outstanding lawyer, with impressive qualities such as passion, dedication, availability to listen and understand clients’ needs. She has considerable experience in financial litigation, corporate and insolvency.’
‘One of the few litigation teams with true expertise in financial services industry litigation. Its members have been involved in the largest litigations concerning financial institutions in Italy.’
‘Mariafrancesca De Leo is well prepared and attentive to client’s needs. She always provides business-oriented solutions whilst not forgetting technical excellency.’
‘Mariafrancesca De Leo and the team have the greatest ability to combine an excellent knowledge of the reality and practices of the international financial world with excellent skills in litigation. They compete with the major national firms for their ability to deal with international clients. They compete with the largest international firms for their high technical level.’
‘Compared to national competitors, the team stands out for its greater ability to deal with international clients. Compared to international competitors, they are characterized by an unusually high technical level in litigation.’
- Represented Kuwait Petroleum Italia in a €900m litigation brought by Alitalia in extraordinary administration against several defendants seeking damages purportedly suffered as a result of an alleged cartel in the jet fuel market.
- Advising and representing the former chairman of a large Italian shipbuilding company in an action brought by the bankruptcy receiver seeking over €170m in damages for breach of fiduciary duties and several other causes of action.
- Advising and representing Q8 Quaser, a subsidiary of Kuwait Petroleum Italia, as a defendant, in an action brought by an Italian oil company seeking over €10m euro in damages following the failed acquisition by Q8 Quaser of the plaintiff’s business after extensive negotiation between the parties, the execution of certain ancillary agreements and the alleged transfer of trade secrets and confidential information to Q8.
At FIVELEX Studio Legale, corporate disputes are a highlight of the team's portfolio, while the firm also draws on its expertise in financial markets to effectively handle finance-related litigation. Managing partner and recognised arbitrator Alfredo Craca is the among the key contacts. A series of promotions in early 2019 at all levels saw, among others, the advancement to partnership of civil and commercial litigator and arbitrator Carlo Sbocchelli.
Alfredo Craca; Claudio Tatozzi; Vittorio Pisapia
‘The team is highly reputed on the market for its dispute resolution skills and experience.’
‘The team is made up of professionals who have a deep knowledge of the Italian civil law procedure as well as of the Italian civil, commercial and company law. They are also able to meet really short deadlines given by clients.’
‘Alfredo Craca is prepared and motivated and always able to identify the best legal strategy to pursue.’
‘Senior associate Giulio Gomitoni always shows a really deep knowledge of the law.’
‘All professionals work efficiently and with great motivation – around the clock if needed.’
‘Deep knowledge of corporate and governance laws and a strong team that works perfectly together covering all customer needs.
‘Francesco Di Carlo makes the clients really feel they are looked after and in good hands.’
Alleanza Assicurazioni S.p.A.
Banca Carige S.p.A.
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A.
Banca Profilo S.p.A.
Banco BPM S.p.A.
Banco di Sardegna S.p.A.
Blue Skye Financial Partners S.à r.l.
Candy Hoover Group
Elliott Advisors UK Limited
FD Holding S.p.A.
Generali Italia S.p.A.
Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A.
Kairos Investment Management S.p.A.
Tamburi Investment Partner S.p.A.
With notable sector insight in banking and bankruptcy matters, Giovanardi Pototschnig & Associati is a respected resource for its 'competence and reliability' when dealing with banking, finance and insolvency procedures and disputes, with Paolo Pototschnig the go-to expert. Corporate and civil proceedings, commercial and post-M&A disputes (with Valeria Mazzoletti and Cecilia Lampertico) are also a strength of the practice.
Paolo Pototschnig; Valeria Mazzoletti; Cecilia Lampertico
‘Complete dedication to the customer, extremely good preparation, timely replies.’
‘Valeria Mazzoletti, Marco Marinoni and associate Andrea Palvarini have quickly achieved objectives that we have been trying to achieve for years through other lawyers.’
‘Deep knowledge of credit management, protection and enhancement.’
‘Surely the most appreciated feature is the availability of professionals to customers. When legal offices are involved, clients require an absolute commitment and availability for what is a priority and often essential issue for them.’
‘Ability to enter into the merit of the topic dealt with quickly and accurately. Willingness to collaborate with the client company.’
Credit Agricole Cariparma S.p.a.
Intesa Sanpaolo s.p.a.
Banca Nazionale Del Lavoro/BNP Paribas
Nestlé Italiana s.p.a.
Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.a.
Unipol Banca S.p.a.
Banco BPM S.p.a.
- Assisting nine out of the twelve banks sued by a large company undergoing a special insolvency proceeding.
- Assistance in favour of three banks of a pool against a company in ‘amministrazione straordinaria‘ which filed a claim for damages against the pool of banks as well as against the company’s former directors and auditors, stating that the banks granted a loan while the company was already insolvent.
- Società Italiana degli Autori ed Editori (SIAE) is claiming from Sky Italia the payment of the so called ‘equo compenso cinema‘, an unwaivable right of remuneration due by the media companies in favour of, inter alia, the movies and documentaries’ authors, in accordance with the Italian IP law. Sky sustains the groundlessness of the claim.
The disputes department at LCA Studio Legale, which now boasts a team of almost 40 professionals, many who previously worked together at Sanzo e Associati, with which the firm merged in 2018. The team handles both national and international litigation and arbitration, offering a 'highly valued and very successful' service focused on a mixture of insolvency and corporate matters. Gian Paolo Coppola is among the key lawyers, acting for clients across a number of sectors, covering both traditional clients and more modern tech-focused businesses. Salvatore Sanzo assists companies in crisis situations.
Salvatore Sanzo; Gian Paolo Coppola; Luciano Castelli
‘LCA has a team of specialised lawyers providing timely, accurate and business-oriented legal advice. The lawyers are valued for their responsiveness, clarity of legal advice provided and efficiency.
‘Great diversity, flexibility, quick responses.’
‘Gian Paolo Coppola has a good practical approach and is very cooperative and available.’
‘We have a very long history of working together, and we won a lot of cases.‘
State Treasury of the Republic of Poland – General Director for National Roads and Motorways
eBay UK Ltd., Marktplaats
Immobiliare RCCS s.r.l.
Roelmi HPC s.r.l.
Caius Capital LLP
Il Sole 24 Ore
Audemars Piguet Italia spa
- Representing the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways of the State Treasury of the Republic of Poland in five different litigations concerning the construction of some sections of motorways awarded to foreign contractors.
- Assisting SsangYong Motors Italia in the appeal of a 2nd instance judgment to the Supreme Court concerning the duty to control the activities of a dealer that went bankrupt.
- Assisted two companies of the eBay group in a debt recovery action against Veesible, a company of the Tiscali group.
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi's disputes department is particularly active in cross-border disputes and in relation to extraordinary operations. Practice head Silvia Lazzeretti helps a diverse client base to resolve controversies in sectors including finance and energy - including oil and gas - often litigating to the highest judicial level. Another core expertise of the team is corporate litigation, with post-M&A arbitration a key part of the firm's portfolio.
Coop Centro Italia S.p.a. and Cofin S.p.a.
Man Truck & Bus Italia S.p.a.
Man Truck & Bus AG
- Assistance to Coop Centro Italia and Cofin in connection with proceedings relating to false statements in prospectuses and non-contractual liability against Banca Monte Paschi Siena and Consob in connection with the bank’s capital increases in 2008, 2011 and 2014.
- Advice and assistance to Anna Philipson in connection with a claim by Retelit for directors’ liability against her in her position of independent director.
- Represented Ryanair in court proceedings before the Piedmont Regional Administrative Court. Appeal against the requests for payment of 2015, 2016, and 2017 and 2018 contributions towards the functioning of the Transport Regulation Authority.
With a strong focus on insurance-related litigation, Norton Rose Fulbright's dispute resolution team is led by the highly regarded Cecilia Buresti, who works with associate Lucia Salerno. They are both described as 'fantastic lawyers'. Beyond insurance claims, the department also deals with civil, commercial and financial cases.
‘Client focused, experienced, nice to work with’
‘Cecilia Buresti has solid experience and gives clear advice. Piermaurizio Tafuni is a young professional with high potential.’
‘Pragmatism and business acumen coupled with significant legal skills; friendly style of communication and flexibility when it comes to fee arrangements.’
‘Constant availability, professional approach.’
AmTrust at Lloyd’s
- Advising Swiss Re on all risk and casualty insurance coverage matter relating to the collapse of the Morandi Bridge in the Italian port city of Genoa.
- Advising a leading insurance broker in a dispute relating to a Banker’s Blanket Bond.
- Advised Beazley in connection with a dispute between an IT services company and a primary Italian bank.
In addition to a significant and recognised background in IP and TMT litigation, Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati also regularly assists high-profile clients in corporate and employment disputes. Practice head Gerardo Marasco joined in 2018 from Grimaldi Studio Legale; he advises corporates and financial institutions on matters relating to banking and finance, energy and insolvency. He and his team are described as 'a guarantee of success.'
‘Orsingher Ortu stands out for its many strengths, such as transparency, the respect of deadlines and the professionalism always demonstrated.’
‘The firm guarantees efficient legal advice, both out-of-court and judicial. The firm has the ability to deal with all legal issues with a broad perspective, demonstrating an in-depth knowledge of the subject and extensive experience in the sector. ‘
‘The team of Orsingher Ortu has a very high and good level of services. They are ready at any time with appropriate, depth and clever answers.’
‘Pierfrancesco Giustiniani is a very skilled lawyer with an extremely company-oriented way of working. He is able to immediately understand the needs of the company and to suggest the most appropriate solution. He is also skilled in negotiation with third parties. He also has the rare ability to choose and train his collaborators in the best possible way. Elisa Cappellini is a very good, skilled, professional lawyer working with Giustiniani.’
Diesel (Italian fashion house)
ITV Global Entertainment Limited
K2 Energy S.r.l.
Greci Industrie Alimentari S.p.A. (food producer)
Jumbo Group S.r.l.
Alpiq Ecopower AG
FacilityLive OpCo S.r.l.
Georg Fischer B.V. &co. K.G.
Mamma 2.0 S.r.l.
- Successfully assisted a former managing director of a leading insurance company on a complex malpractice claim worth in excess of €70m. The judicial proceeding has been fully settled and all the allegations against the client entirely dismissed.
- Assisting the shareholders of a primary Italian industrial group on a number of high-value and complex litigation proceedings against another shareholders.
- Successfully assisted Unione Fiduciaria, which is the company holding the shares of Esselunga Group (one of the leading companies in the Italian mass retail channel), on the litigation and arbitral proceedings concerning the property and control of the majority of the share capital of Esselunga Group.
With a strong background in IT, IP, media and data protection disputes, Portolano Cavallo has in recent years added capability in other sectors such as corporate, insolvency and life sciences. In this regard, Enzo Marasà handles civil, commercial and antitrust litigation, while Maria Vittoria La Rosa, who arrived in 2018 from Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato as of counsel, is a regulatory expert. Rome-based Micael Montinari heads the practice together with Milan counterpart Martina Lucenti, who made partner in 2018.
Micael Montinari; Martina Lucenti
With professionals of the calibre of practice head Leonardo Giani and recommended associate Francesco Nicora, the dispute resolution team at Simmons & Simmons is 'prone to excellence', drawing on strong connections with the firm's UK-based clients and matters. The firm handles disputes across a range of sectors, advising on matters relating to financial markets, insurance and industrials.
‘Meticulously keen to provide the best services for clients, taking into consideration the specificities of each case and client. Even as a big law firm, they are down-to-earth professionals, ready to help and assist.’
‘Francesco Nicora provides an excellent, tailor-made service. His outstanding knowledge associated with exceptional communications skills makes it easy for him to explain highly complicated matters to non-professionals.’
AIG Europe S.A.
Zurich Insurance Plc
AMTRUST (Lloyd’s Syndicate)
MARKEL (Lloyd’s Syndicate)
Columbia Threadneedle Investments
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty Ltd.
- Representing the Lloyd’s Syndicate AmTrust joined in the €2bn mismanagement lawsuit filed by the receiver of Banca Popolare di Vicenza against the bank’s former directors and auditors.
- Representing Markel in a €393m mismanagement claim filed by the receiver of Bagnolifutura S.p.A. against the company’s former directors and auditors who then joined Markel to the lawsuit.
- Representing Threadneedle Investments in a mismanagement claim filed by quotaholders of the fund.
At Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie, IT and IP litigator Lorenzo De Martinis has recenntly taken over leadership of the dispute resolution department, succeeding Gianfranco Di Garbo. His team includes Francesco Maruffi (financial and insurance disputes), Mario D’Avossa (tax disputes) and Luca Pescatore (contractual, banking, and bankruptcy disputes, among others).
Gianfranco Di Garbo
CBA Studio Legale e Tributario's dispute resolution team is growing year on year, most recently with the addition of Stefano La Porta from Studio Legale La Scala e Associati, who joined Antonio Martini's and Marco Ettorre's department as co-head in February 2019. Their practice focuses on corporate, contracts, banking and insolvency litigation, as well as civil and hereditary disputes. The firm's clients are both Italian and international, with interesting cases in infrastructure, liability actions and unlawful competition.
Antonio Martini; Stefano La Porta; Marco Ettorre
Lotto Sport Italia
Mer Mec S.p.A.
- Advised Lotto Sport Italia in ordinary proceedings on factoring matters.
- Advised Mer Mec in urgent proceedings before the Court of Milan regarding a share purchase agreement.
- Advised on tax litigation concerning the application of the anti-abuse Italian tax legislation in case of debt restructuring.
CMS's strength in dispute resolution lies in the team's wide variety of niche expertise; while co-head Paola Ghezzi mainly advises asset management companies, co-head Laura Opilio has deep insights in insurance law (being also head of the insurance practice) and in insurance-related claims. Defamation is another area of competence, together with professional liability, life sciences and tax litigation.
Laura Opilio; Paola Ghezzi
‘Good, knowledgeable and accurate communication. Recommendations supplied in a timely manner’
‘A good understanding of the views and values of a business’s requirements’
‘The firm provides seamless and effective advice with a practical approach. They are very quick in responding to requests and very flexible.’
‘Massimo Dotto is an excellent lawyer, highly skilled and with considerable expertise in litigation. He provides practical and timely advice ‘
Generali Italia Spa
- Assistance to the company AMA SpA – concessionaire of the Municipality of Rome for the collection, transport, treatment, recycling and disposal of waste – in a dispute before the Court of Cassation against CO.LA.RI., in relation to a service contract for the management of the largest landfill in the city of Rome.
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
With a strong mix of common and civil law expertise and a globally integrated, Milan-based practice, international arbitration is Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP's flagship offering. The firm has a particular specialism in investor-state disputes, as well as a broad focus on commercial arbitration. The team is also active in Italian domestic and cross-jurisdictional matters in sectors including oil and gas and healthcare. Galileo Pozzoli left the firm.
‘Excellent team of litigators who think in a strategic way and are very capable of handling highly specialised situations thanks to their broad expertise’
The United Republic of Tanzania
The Republic of Uganda
The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
The Republic of Kazakhstan
The Russian Federation
The Republic of Cyprus
Maire Tecnimont S.p.A.
Fidia Farmaceutici S.p.A.
Banca Popolare di Sondrio
Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Valentini Glass & Components S.r.l.
- Assisted the Republic of Cyprus in its written and oral submissions before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Advised the Republic of Uganda in the settlement of the ICSID arbitration brought by Total against the Republic.
- Represented Venezuela in an ICSID arbitration commenced by subsidiaries of ConocoPhillips Company with respect to three petroleum exploration and development projects in Venezuela.
Through close collaboration with the firm's other departments, the dispute resolution team at Gatti Pavesi Bianchi is able to advise on disputes across a wide variety of areas, including corporate and banking matters. Litigator and arbitrator Stefano Verzoni heads up the practice and advises domestic banks as well as asset management, energy and telecoms firms in liability actions, competition disputes and post-M&A litigation.
‘Stefano Verzoni manages a highly qualified team with great competence and absolute professionalism, combined with the ability to understand the specific economic and commercial needs of the client. He and his team are always pleasant to deal with and very helpful.’
Banca Popolare di Vicenza SpA
Banco BPM S.p.A.
The Blackstone Group, L.P.
Arnoldo Mondadori Editore SpA
Banca Carige S.p.A.
Unicredit Factoring S.p.A.
Savills Investment Management SGR S.p.A.
- Representation of SEA in ordinary civil proceedings for the compensation of damages related to alleged unfair competition and abuse of dominant position in airport handling services.
- Represented Banca Popolare di Vicenza in the director liability claim field against certain former directors and executives of Banca Popolare di Vicenza.
- Represented the former non-executive directors in the director liability action commenced by Cassa di Risparmio di Bolzano pursuant Article 2392 and 2393 of Italian Civil Code against certain of its former directors and statutory auditors.
hi.lex's dispute resolution department focuses on corporate matters, with contract and competition matters among the team's most active areas, which also handles arbitration cases. The latter is the speciality of recognised practice head Maurizio Traverso, who has gathered enviable experience in domestic and international litigation and arbitration and is well-known for representing clients during cases emerging from extraordinary transactions.
Maurizio Traverso; Emanuela Ferro; Emanuele Breggia
‘Very dedicated team providing efficient, high-quality service’
‘Maurizio Traverso and Emanuele Breggia take care of any detail, in instructing the case and then building up the general strategy. Very efficient and effective in their action, having always in mind the goal to be reached.’
‘Maurizio Traverso is a very high level professional, recognized as such for a long time. Attention to the client’s interest, deep knowledge of the procedures and focus on the result all characterise him.’
‘Emanuele Breggia is also a remarkable practitioner.’
ASSA ABLOY ITALY S.r.l.
Alcedo SGR S.p.A
MdF Italia S.p.A
Piramal Critical Care Italia SpA
Manz Italy S.r.l.
Limonta Sport SpA
The Milan-based dispute resolution team at Linklaters is headed up by Alessandro Villani. He represents companies and banks in corporate disputes, bankruptcy and insolvency litigation, regulatory investigations and arbitrations. The department also includes counsel Loris Bovo and nine associates.
McDermott Will & Emery Studio Legale Associato's team of litigators in Milan - led by counsel Stefano Mechelli - are part of the US firm's international disputes offering. Drawing on strong relationships with the firm's offices around the world, the department represents foreign clients in Italian tax, IP and bankruptcy disputes, and Italian clients involved in US and European litigation proceedings. The department is proud of its full-service approach, handling M&A-related litigation, pre-litigation, arbitration and mediation. Massimiliano Moruzzi joined from Lombardi e Associati in July 2019.
Molinari e Associati's disputes team boasts 'considerable multidisciplinary skills', with particular regard to banking and finance, insurance and contract matters. Ugo Molinari - 'a colossus of the Italian legal field' - is an expert in corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration, while his co-head Roberto Crosti has a focus on contractual liabilities and violations of contractual representations and warranties.
Ugo Molinari; Roberto Crosti
‘Attention to the customer and clear communication, allowing common intent and therefore adequately assessed strategies.’
‘Ugo Molinari is a colossus of the Italian legal field, with outstanding litigation expertise.’
Coop Alleanza 3.0 Soc. Coop.
Europa Risorse SGR
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Prelios S.p.A. – Prelios SGR
Savills Investment Management SGR
Chubb European Group – Rappresentanza per l’Italia
- Advised a number companies belonging to the Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena group and UniCredit group on the settlement of certain potential claims by Alitalia – Società Aerea Italiana.
- Advised Savills Investment Management in a dispute concerning the unlawful termination of a lease agreement and the failure to pay the instalments by the tenant.
- Advised Kryalos, owner of a prestigious property used as offices and located in the municipality of Rome, on a dispute concerning the payment by the tenant of the ordinary/extraordinary maintenance and management costs.
Osborne Clarke's Italian dispute resolution practice draws on the wider firm's international offices to effectively handle cross-border litigation cases; the work undertaken by the team is varied and includes elements of civil, commercial and contract law, insolvency and banking as well as M&A arbitration and IP and unfair competition matters. Practice head Federico Banti is recommended.
‘Considerable business acumen and knowledge of their clients’ businesses.’
Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A.
SM Publishing (Italy) S.r.l
SAMCA – S.A. Minera Catalano Aragonesa
Unieco soc. Coop
Health Italia S.p.A.
Società Generale Mutuo Soccorso Mutua Basis Assistance MBA
Linea Group Holding and Linea Ambiente S.r.l
Fallimento GIMAL and Ca’ Sagredo Hotel S.r.l.
Idroterme Sardara S.r.l.
- Appearing successfully for major utilities company, Linea Group Holding, in ground-breaking Supreme Court litigation concerning the validity or otherwise of put options between shareholders provided at fixed price.
- Acting for a shareholder in Banco Popular Español S.A in challenging the decision of the SRB (notified by the ECB) and the Spanish National Resolution Authority to transfer all of its shares and capital instruments to Banco Santander for a purchase price of €1.
- Representing Stichting Trucks Cartel Compensation, a non-profit Dutch foundation incorporated to pursue the private enforcement of the EU Commission decision in the trucks cartel case against the major truck manufacturers – one of the largest ongoing cartel follow-on claims.
Withers Studio Legale has bolstered its dispute resolution practice of late with the significant addition of well-known litigator and arbitrator Cristina Pagni. Having previously practised at a number of major international firms, she has added significant expertise to the team, which she joined as practice co-head alongside Matilde Rota. The lawyers in the team work 'tirelessly' on general corporate, commercial and insurance disputes, while also having a niche focus on sports law.
Cristina Pagni; Matilde Rota
‘Professionalism, competency with international cross-border legal and cultural issues and timely feedback and case management.’
‘Cristina Pagni is a very talented dispute resolution attorney who is also a pleasure to work with. She has excellent project management skills and leverages associates as appropriate. She can be a very tough negotiator.’
‘Very committed and with a very fine technical background.’
‘Cristina Pagni has a prime background in civil law and particularly in litigation. She is very careful in managing every single detail and she is very transparent and clear when charging the client.’
Generali Italia SpA – Alleanza Assicurazioni SpA
Intesa Sanpaolo SpA
De’Longhi Appliances SpA
- Assisting Generali with lawsuits brought by retail clients in relation to life policies, unit- and index- linked policies and white collar professional policies.
- Providing legal assistance to Intesa Sanpaolo on a variety of claims brought by retail clients with respect to loans, banking agreements, financing and derivative agreements, on both ordinary and interim proceedings.
- Assisting De’Longhi Appliances in the proceedings brought by Infront Italy SpA for the alleged breach of a sponsorship agreement.