BonelliErede is home to a powerhouse litigation team. Giuseppe Lombardi oversees the practice, which covers all levels of domestic and international complex high-profile dispute resolution cases, representing clients before all instances of Italian courts. Of counsel Laurence Shore leads the international arbitration team, whereas Enrico Chieppa, who specialises in corporate, civil and bankruptcy litigation and arbitration, was promoted to partner in January 2022. The department combines highly sophisticated litigation skills with expertise in individual practice areas and market knowledge.
Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Dispute resolution in Italy
Giuseppe Lombardi; Laurence Shore
Other key lawyers:
Vittorio Allavena; Renato Bocca; Monica Iacoviello; Laura Salvaneschi; Antonio Crivellaro; Paolo Daino; Paolo Di Giovanni; Riccardo Bordi
‘Proactivity and integrity . You feel you are in very good hands and partners will always go the extra mile for their clients.’
‘BonelliErede ranks among the top tier law firms in Italy, thanks to the unique capacity to handle high-stake litigation cases, technical skills, organisation, reputation in the industry.’
‘Giuseppe Lombardi and his team set the standard in the industry of legal services in terms of excellency. Lazare Vittone deserves a special mention for his outstanding technical skills, both with regard to litigation and non-judicial matters, and for his impressive analytical skills.’
‘Complete availability, the professional competence, the continuous attention you receive in any moment, in any day, always.’
‘BonelliErede is a fantastic, aggressive, and creative firm. They think outside the box, run develop strong and persuasive litigation theories, and go above and beyond when it comes to client service.’
‘Riccardo Bordi is a top notch litigator and strategic thinker. The lawyers at Bonelli really live their cases and care deeply about their client’s causes– and will keep digging and thinking until they identify solutions.’
‘We’re in contact with Avv. Monica Iacoviello (partner) who is very attentive to our timing (often very strict) and she is proactive versus our needs. They have taken in charge 2 litigation files with a very stirct deadline with very good results. They often suggest us the best way to settle too.’
Acciai Speciali Terni
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Bastogi (Gruppo Cabassi)
- Represented Andes Petroleum in an ICDR arbitration in which the firm acted as co-counsel for Claimant, a Barbados corporation owned by a China National Petroleum Corporation, in a complex dispute regarding hydrocarbon exploration and exploitation of a defined area in Ecuador.
- Represented Solvay Speciality Polymers SpA in an ICC arbitration in which the firm acted as counsel for Claimant, a leading international chemical group, in a complex dispute concerning the breach of representations and warranties provided for in a share purchase agreement by the seller in connection with health, safety and environmental law and a claim for incidental fraud.
Litigation, arbitration and white-collar crime constitute the pillars of ADVANT Nctm dispute resolution department. The team, headed by Alberto Toffoletto, includes litigator and arbitrator, Angelo Anglani; it has strong capabilities to manage complex national and cross-border litigation in all areas of corporate and commercial law, across various sectors including energy, pharma, telecoms, IP, antitrust, banking and finance. The practice’s offering is completed by its prowess in pre-litigation evaluations, ADR and arbitrations, both domestic and international. Of counsel Roberta Guaineri has particular expertise in corporate and economic criminal law.
Other key lawyers:
Angelo Anglan; Martino Andreoni; Roberta Guaineri
‘Prominent professor (Alberto Toffoletto) and excellent collaboration with in-house counsels.’
‘Alberto Toffoletto and the excellent Martino Andreoni stand out.’
‘We work with the Advant NCTM team since many years on many transnational files. We find their ability to adapt to the foreign law aspects outstanding.’
‘The team is very consistent in quality, reactivity and quick understanding.’
Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A
Cooperativa Muratori & Cementisti – C.M.C. di Ravenna Società Cooperativa
- Assisting UniCredit S.p.A. in a litigation regarding the method of calculating interest that the banks used in several of their loan agreements.
- Instructed by Cooperativa Muratori & Cementisti – C.M.C. di Ravenna Società Cooperativa to examine seven international construction contracts (in Algeria, Kuwait, Nepal, Zambia and Laos), all governed by local laws, and deal with the relevant issues and possible connected proceedings.
ArbLit – Radicati di Brozolo Sabatini Benedettelli Torsello
Boutique firm ArbLit – Radicati di Brozolo Sabatini Benedettelli Torsello has particular expertise in the resolution of domestic and international disputes, especially investor-state disputes. While the respected arbitration team is led by Luca Radicati Di Brozolo, Massimo Benedettelli and Michele Sabatini, Marco Torsello heads up the litigation team which is active in complex commercial cross-border matters. Key strengths include insolvency, financial markets, trust, international sales and successions. The practice’s arbitration counsel work benefits from its lawyers’ expertise and continuous involvement as arbitrators in high-profile proceedings.
Luca Radicati di Brozolo; Michele Sabatini; Massimo Benedettelli; Marco Torsello
Other key lawyers:
‘Great expertise and ability in analysis and delivery.’
‘Mr Torsello showed a strong capability of interpreting law.’
‘Great experience, competence, attention to details.’
Al Farwaniya Property Developments LLC
Taikisha Engineering India Private Limited
Nataliya Dolenko Geneve S.A.
Babynov USA LLC
AIMS – Accademia Italiana Medici Specializzandi S.r.l.
Pagani Automobili S.p.A.
GSquare Healthcare Private Equity LLP
Damor America, Inc.
Tubilux Pharma S.p.A.
thyssenkrupp Marine Systems GmbH and thyssenkrupp Industrial Solutions AG
IPVIC – International Photovoltaic Investors Club
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
GCF – Generale Costruzioni Ferroviarie
Medical Systems S.p.A.
Star Image Limited
Impresa Pizzarotti S.p.A.
International Chamber of Commerce
- Representing two companies of German conglomerate thyssenkrupp in a EUR 8 billion ICC arbitration brought against them and other respondents by the Hellenic Republic.
- Represented a Luxemburg company in a multimillion CAM arbitration concerning the impact of US sanctions against Russian nationals on a drag-along clause contained in the bylaws of an Italian company invoked by another shareholder of the Italian company.
- Represented a fiduciary company providing investment and wealth management services against the Irish subsidiary of a US bank before the Italian Supreme Court to establish the jurisdiction of Italian courts over a multimillion claim for tortious liability of the bank as the administrator of a foreign investment fund.
Chiomenti‘s respected dispute resolution practice has extensive experience, covering all areas of litigation within a myriad of industries. Most notably, the group specialises in post-M&A litigation and complex corporate litigation, particularly in liability of directors matters, as well as domestic and international arbitration. Silvio Martuccelli is frequently appointed as arbitrator and has a consolidated sports litigation practice, serving as practice co-head alongside white-collar crime expert, Francesco D’Alessandro. Luca Ferrari stands out for his expertise in class action and product safety and liability. During 2022, the team saw the promotion of Andrea Costa to counsel and the arrival of Giacomo Rojas Elgueta.
Silvio Martuccelli; Francesco D’Alessandro
Other key lawyers:
Luca Ferrari; Andrea Costa; Giacomo Rojas Elgueta; Massimo Proto
‘Silvio Martuccelli is a great litigator and very open to client’s needs.’
‘Excellent professional attitude and knowledge of the applied law regulations. Excellent strategy and communication to customer.’
‘High level of responsibility and professional skills.’
‘Avv. Andrea Costa is an excellent lawyer with a particular skill to explain, discuss and dialogue upon matters and cases in a way that makes it easier for anybody to understand a complex situation or matter and this makes the difference between winning or losing a claim’
‘The team organised by Prof. Avv. Massimo Proto – legal reference for my company in Chiomenti – stands out for its organisational skills and technical preparation. The team is always able to find the best solutions for the company.’
‘I have had the opportunity to work with Prof. Avv. Massimo Proto on numerous occasions. He is one of the best, most prepared and most effective lawyers I have ever dealt with. He hardly loses a judgment, and me and my company turn to him when we have a delicate problem to solve.’
‘Exceptional expertise and strategy. Very fast responses and ability to execute complex work in a short time due to a large number of professionals. During each event I learned something new from Chiomenti.’
Amissima Assicurazioni S.p.A. / Amissima Vita S.p.A.
Lux Vide Finanziaria
Toyota Financial services
BMW Bank GmbH
Amazon Italian transport
Mc Donald’s Italy
Cinecittà Studios S.p.A.
Aviva Italia Holding S.p.A.
RAI Radio Televisione Italiana
Gruppo Aliante Partners
Federative Republic of Brazil
Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC
Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A.
Italian Tennis Federation
Menarini Industrie Farmaceutiche Riunite S.r.l.
Mr. Ednan Tofik-Ogly Agaev
Ambrosia Technologies S.r.l.
- Assisting Wind S.p.A. in the appeal against a judgment by which the Court of Milan prevented the client from adopting, using, enforcing and affecting clauses providing for renewals and payments on a 28-day/8-week time basis, ordered the client to uphold consumers’ claims for compensation, and to publish the judgment on its website and two newspapers.
- Advising the Italian Tennis Federation, in the organisation of the ATP Finals that are held in Turin, Italy from 2021 to 2025.
- Advising Mr. Ednan Tofik-Ogly Agaev in the context of criminal proceedings pending in Milan for allegations of complicity in international corruption due the role he would have played as advisor in the deal for the acquisition of the Oil Prospective License.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton boasts a respected dispute resolution practice, active across sectors such as telecoms, financial services, energy, construction, and TMT. A distinguishing strength of the team is its integrated white-collar crime team which represents financial institutions, corporations and senior managers in a broad range of cases, including bankruptcy, market abuse and manipulation, money laundering, fraud, bribery, and environmental violations. Leading partners Ferdinando Emanuele, Carlo Santoro and Giuseppe Scassellati-Sforzolini are supported by dual-qualified counsel Francesca Gesualdi.
Giuseppe Scassellati-Sforzolini; Ferdinando Emanuele; Carlo Santoro
Other key lawyers:
‘The Italian litigation team is impressive, we work with them regularly on very sensitive commercial and contract litigation matters. What makes them different is that they are very creative and result-oriented besides being able to handle major sensitive disputes through a truly integrated and unified team with experience in different fields. They know the courts work very well, they all have excellent drafting skills and a thorough knowledge of the relevant industry.’
‘I have worked with Francesca Gesualdi on a number of complex and time sensitive litigation. I believe she is the best litigator of her generation. While other lawyers may have similar track records in terms of work success, none of them equal Francesca’s unique skills in terms of strategic thinking, pragmatism and soft skills.’
‘The team is composed by professionals that focus on clients and on their needs and expectations regarding the relevant cases, tailoring their support on that basis and with an always strong deepening on the subject matter of the case, notwithstanding its technicality. They are the best I work with.’
- Represented A2A before the Milan Court in connection with the claims for damages, for over EUR 200 million, brought by Carlo Tassara S.p.A. against A2A and EDF in relation to the takeover bid launched by EDF on Edison’s shares in 2011.
- Assistance to Vivendi in relation to criminal proceedings opened by the Milan Public Prosecutor’s Office for market manipulation and obstruction of the exercise of the functions of the supervisory authorities and in the closing of its global settlement agreement to end all pending litigation with Fininvest and Mediaset.
- Assistance to ArcelorMittal in relation to certain criminal proceedings opened by the Milan and Taranto public prosecutors in connection with the operations of ArcelorMittal Italy, including in carrying out internal investigations.
Clifford Chance‘s litigation and dispute resolution department houses integrated subteams dedicated to civil litigation, white-collar crime and regulatory investigations. Renowned insolvency, restructuring, banking and finance litigator and commercial arbitrator, Fabio Guastadisegni, heads up the team which includes Carlo Felice Giampaolino; he litigates in Milan and Rome before the commercial courts, in addition to the Supreme Court, on a wealth of complex commercial, insurance and corporate law matters. White-collar and compliance expert, Antonio Golino, frequently advises financial institutions on sensitive matters arising from regulatory enforcement issues and investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Carlo Giampaolino; Antonio Golino; Giuseppe Principato; Andrea Tuninetti Ferrari
‘Antonio Golino in particular a strong partner with extensive experience of appearing in Italian Courts. Very user friendly, focused and attentive.’
‘Very reactive and responsive. Think outside the box and one step further.’
‘Very kind and available.’
‘The C&C Team is very collaborative and supportive. Their help in decision making is really important.’
‘Unique customer nearness, always aiming to maximize clients inputs.’
‘The partner Fabio Guastadisegni is carrying the relationship through the years ( 10y), always delivering exceptional results.’
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Macquarie Aircraft Leasing Services
- Assisted the consortium of purchasers in the assessment of the exposure for litigation risk deriving from the pending and threatened disputes with a nominal value of over EUR 20mio.
- Advising an Italian bank with regards to a contentious activity, focused first on the analysis of the bank’s former corporate bodies’ conducts, and the commencement of a civil liability claim against them on behalf of the bank, which suffered damages as consequence of their unlawful conducts.
- Acted as counsel of record of a former senior managing director of a German bank in the appellate proceedings, after a first instance conviction issued by the Court of Milan on charges of aiding and abetting market manipulation by allegedly disclosing false financial statements.
The litigation and dispute resolution department at Dentons has seen a significant increase in depth and breadth in terms of team size, client base and matters. The practice’s offering includes non-contentious advice and litigation in all types of disputes and arbitration proceedings, including international arbitration. The team, headed by Sara Biglieri , represents national and international clients in a broad range of disputes including corporate, banking and finance, real estate, unfair competition, and commercial contract disputes, as well as product liability claims. Pasquale Annicchiarico leads the integrated white-collar crime team, which includes Roberto Fabio Lipari and Matteo Vizzardi.
Other key lawyers:
Pasquale Annicchiarico; Davide Traina; Roberto Fabio Lipari; Stefano Belleggia; Luca De Benedetto; Matteo Vizzardi
‘Davide Traina is specialised in civil and real estate law. His team is able to manage complex document analyses and challenging legal issues. Davide Traina proved to be an excellent professional in managing complex disputes. He is a punctual professional, with an excellent technical preparation and attention to detail, great flexibility and ability to understand – immediately – the customer’s needs. We appreciate the pragmatic approach to the proposed themes, speed of execution and availability.’
‘Team members complement each other, transmit strong knowledge and experience, showing confidence professionals that facilitate trust. Adding soft skills, and specially empathy that puts at ease the customer and enables efficient communication.’
‘Good analysis, advise and fast and efficient execution. Availability, understanding and empathy, is very much appreciated in Davide Traina,’
‘The cross-cultural team has specialized professionals in various fields in terms of company governance, litigation and bankruptcy, and good collaboration with clients and relevant advisors. it’s appreciated for the flexible working time and timely support despite the time difference, and the adaptive and flexible solutions offered in accordance with the volatile situation.’
‘Reference point of the structure in the field of litigation, Sara Biglieri is a professional of great depth and professionalism who must be recognized for the ability to guarantee the availability of the right team of people to the in-house structures, with constant support in the conduct of activities. The female leadership also manages to give an always effective and timely approach, which today really cannot be missing.’
‘I highly appreciate the expertise of the lawyers, as well as the professionalism and diligence of the services provided and their timeliness. I appreciate the fact that they suggest different solutions to the client and take the initiative. Compared to other law firms from various European countries that I have had the opportunity to work with, this team stands out for its punctuality, for providing truly comprehensive yet concrete answers to the issues presented and for its positive attitude towards handling the cases entrusted to them.’
‘Roberto Fabio Lipari really stands out. He works at his cases by really looking at them from various legal perspectives and this gives his makes his analysis of the problems truly original and unexpected. We had various cases with him, and he won all our cases. I think he really deserves his reputation and that having him onboard is an absolute added value. His constant presence and availability is really reassuring.’
‘This is a very sophisticated practice, which combines deep knowledge of the market with a creative approach. They are the go-to firm.’
DeA Capital Real Estate SGR
Johnson & Johnson
Orion Capital Managers
Poste Vita and Poste Assicura
Qinhuangdao Tianye Tolian Heavy Industry
Stoffel (OI Paper S.A.)
Unoenergy (former Unogas Energia)
- Assisting Riva Group/ ILVA S.p.A.in all criminal proceedings before the Courts of Milan and Taranto.
DLA Piper is characterised by its wide spectrum of specialisations, which notably includes work for international companies from the construction, transport, fashion and life sciences sectors. The multidisciplinary group, led by David Maria Marino, also stands out for its expertise in financial, insolvency and real estate matters. Arbitration expert, Stefano Modenesi, and fashion market litigator, Davide Rossetti, are among the standout names, as are Alessandro Lanzi, who specialises in banking and commercial disputes, and Alberto Angeloni who focuses on insolvency matters.
David Maria Marino
Other key lawyers:
Stefano Modenesi; Davide Rossetti; Alessandro Lanzi; Alberto Angeloni
‘The team’s strengths and key capabilities are: 1) remarkable knowledge of the Italian Legal Environment 2) Efficiency in delivering the legal opinions 3) Quick response in cases were we need to have a legal opinion as a matter of urgency. They have always been able to offer assistance within the timing requested.’
‘This practice is very much commercially oriented and knows how to explain complex legal litigation procedures in a simple manner, so that the client can decide on the strategy with full knowledge of the pros and cons.’
‘Stefano Modenesi leads the team and makes sure that everyone delivers timely and to the required standards. Alberto Angeloni is a very knowledgeable litigator, with great experience in the local practices of the Courts in Rome.’
AMCO – Asset Management Company S.p.A.
Prelios Credit Servicing S.p.A.
Corum Investment Fund
Chubb European Group SE
Genoa Cricket and Football Club S.p.A.
Hellas Verona Football Club S.p.A.
Unione Calcio Sampdoria S.p.A.
- Assisting Vodafone Italia as defendant before the Supreme Court in a multimillion antitrust action for damages brought by Fastweb, for an alleged abuse of dominant position in the provision of electronic communications wholesale services.
- Assisting Prelios Credit Servicing S.p.A. (“Prelios”), as servicer of the SPV to which certain receivables of Banca Intermobiliare di Investimenti e Gestioni S.p.A. (“BIM”) towards Partecipazioni Immobiliari S.r.l. (“PI”) were assigned, in several proceedings against PI and the Italian and French companies which had mortgaged their real estate properties to secure the receivables.
- Assisting RCI Banque in a major class action brought by the consumer association Altroconsumo before the Court of Milan for alleged damages suffered by consumers due to an alleged anticompetitive agreement based on information exchange between some of the major captive banks operating in the automotive industry.
The dispute resolution team’s size and expertise at Gianni & Origoni allows for a high caseload of complex high-value disputes. The group, jointly headed by Antonio Auricchio and Paolo Gnignati, handles litigation before all Italian courts, as well as local and international arbitration and mediation. Among the practice’s clients are domestic and international banks, financial institutions and corporations from the financial services, industrial manufacturing, life sciences, technology and energy sectors. The practice’s activity extends to white-collar crime and investigations, as well as insolvency litigation, a front in which Alberto Nanni excels. Key contacts are co-founder and corporate disputes specialist, GianBattista Origoni, who also sits as an arbitrator, and litigator Daniele Vecchi who specialises in product liability and consumer law disputes. Stefano Rossi, focused on insurance litigation, joined in November 2022.
‘Broad view and smartness are the key word in Gianni & Origoni’s approach, as well as deep knowledge of Italian litigation law.’
Wind Tre S.p.A.
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
EDF Électricité de France
CDP Immobiliare S.r.l.
Generali Italia S.p.A.
Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A.
Veneto Banca in liquidazione coatta
Finanziaria Internazionale S.p.A.
Alleanza Assicurazioni S.p.A.
- Assisted LivaNova PLC (previous Sorin S.p.A.) in the so-far largest environmental litigation case in Italy.
- Represented Banca Finint and Cherry Bank (formerly Banco delle Tre Venezie) in the proceedings to challenge the approval of the judicial settlement with creditors (“concordato preventivo”) of the company Pasta Zara S.p.A. a leading food manufacturing company based in Trieste and Treviso.
Legance - Avvocati Associati‘s dispute resolution department boasts an impressive client base, both domestic and international, spanning across a myriad of such as energy, financial services, maritime and aviation, IP, healthcare and life sciences. The team is led by commercial and corporate litigators and arbitrators Stefano Parlatore and Daniele Geronzi, and enjoys substantial experience in the field of commercial and banking disputes, as well as M&A-related litigation. National and international arbitration mandates, in particular commercial and investor-state proceedings, complete the practice’s offering.
Stefano Parlatore; Daniele Geronzi
Other key lawyers:
Daria Pastore; Cecilia Carrara; Marialuisa Garavelli
‘We had the opportunity to work with Legance in a specific a difficult field: Anti-Trust and unfair competition. Legance and its partners demonstrated outstanding capability and skills in such field. This legal sector is subject to ongoing changes due to the modification of rules. Legance has been always been up-to-date. Being a very sensitive sector, privacy and confidentiality represent a must. Legance confirmed such qualities.’
‘They are highly competent, professional, but at the same time always available, open to discussion, ready to listen to the needs of the customer, who never feels neglected. They are effective and tireless. In particular, I find that Avv. Daniele Geronzi, with whom I have the most frequent contacts, be brilliant. A guarantee of high quality of service and an enviable track record of successes.’
‘Top tier approach, innovative firm whose ambition is to provide the client with full-service assistance. During the past 12 months we have worked alongside Legance in the context of major international restructuring transactions, involving both litigation matters as well as corporate finance and energy profiles. In particular, Legance provided our group (based in Luxembourg, Italy, Singapore and Hong Kong) with a full-service assistance for the management of our contentious and transactional matters related to renewable energy assets.’
‘Daria Pastore is a brilliant lawyer, very clear and reliable. A joy to work with!’
‘The litigation team is very well structured and divided by specific expertise. It can also rely on the cooperation of the firm’s other practice areas, which cover substantially all areas of business law. Legance’s litigation team is in my opinion one of the best in the market, if not the best overall.’
‘I would certainly like to mention Daniele Geronzi as a stand out partner. Daniele is an excellent and brilliant litigator, able to present the best solutions to the client quickly. He is able to combine a deep knowledge of the law with the client’s business needs. He is efficient, fast thinking and very knowledgeable. He has extensive litigation experience, which enables him to achieve the best result in every situation.’
‘Technical competence, knowledge of the market, plurality of competences, availability.’
Aveleos S.A. (RENOVA GROUP)
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti S.p.A.
Banca Popolare di Milano S.p.A.
Bank of China
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro
BNP Paribas REIM Italy SGR
Dubai Aerospace Enterprise
British American Tobacco
Carnival Cruise Line
Energreen Investment SARL
Gruppo Poste Italiane
Henkel Italia S.r.l.
Impresa Pizzarotti & C. S.p.A.
Intesa SanPaolo/Banca IMI
MPS – Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A.
Parma Calcio 1913 S.r.l.
Republic of Kazakhstan
Roland Berger Strategy Consultants
Twenty Century Fox
Iliad Italia S.p.A.
ASM Voghera SPA
CBL Insurance Europe DAC
Obrasco’n Huarte Lain SA
- Assistance to Barclays Bank PLC pertaining to a legal action brought by Fondazione against its former management and several banks, with regard to alleged damages suffered as a consequence of an alleged violation of the 20% debt/capital ratio provided by Fondazione’s by-laws, due to the conclusion of a loan agreement, aiming at financing a capital increase of Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena.
- Assistance to Vianini Lavori in two different jurisdiction proceedings (regolamento di giurisdizione) before the Supreme Court of Cassation which declared the Italian jurisdiction in a dispute about a counter-guarantee.
- Appointment for emergency arbitraton provided in an ICC Emergency Arbitration (seated in Madrid, Spain) between three Spanish companies, concerning the enforcement of a first-demand guarantee provided in relation to an EPC Agreement.
The litigation and arbitration department at Pedersoli Studio Legale is one of the firm’s main pillars and widely recognised in the market. The team has strong capabilities in handling complex multidisciplinary and multijurisdictional matters spanning across corporate, commercial, real estate, banking and securities litigation. Clients include domestic and international companies, banks and financial institutions, as well as high-net worth individuals and private clients. Carlo Pedersoli heads the team which has strong domestic arbitration capabilities, in addition to expertise in white-collar defence and insolvency litigation. Recognised litigator and arbitrator Manuela Grassi is another key contact.
Carlo Pedersoli; Andrea Magliani; Eugenio Barcellona
Other key lawyers:
Filippo Casò; Manuela Grassi
‘Last year we involved Pedersoli on a few different projects. Every time they came up with a very competent and specialized team able to interact and understand deeply the problem and then come up with bright solutions. We really appreciate their capability to successfully leverage our positions.’
‘To be involved right from the beginning regularly with each of them, right to the end of the project. In particular, Mr. Pedersoli has kept regular contact with us and now he’s a precious adviser on other business matters.’
‘Manuela Grassi assisted us effectively, promptly and purposefully with respect to the needs of our company, providing both legal and operational assistance, also sharing personal opinions upon request.’
‘Professionalism, seriousness, punctuality, competence and friendliness.’
‘The lawyers Manuela Grassi and Andrea Zoccali have uncommon professional skills, carry out an extremely thorough analysis of the legal issues submitted to them and work with absolute punctuality, combining a deep empathy with the client.’
‘AVV Manuela Grassi has an incomparable competence on the matter. She is able to find original solutions to the most complex problems based on her unique ability to picture them. Very impressive.’
‘The Pedersoli team has shown that it knows how to approach the issue by concentrating the analysis on the final objective of the client without neglecting any other profile of attention so as to be able to already decline the possible intermediate goals on the extrajudicial or judicial level in case of failure of the negotiation. From this point of view, the attention to the acquisition of the evidence of the disputed facts and the strategy of conducting the dispute on a negotiating and procedural level were decisive for success.’
‘Manuela Grassi and Andrea Magliani demonstrated full collaboration and integration in following the different phases and issues of the dispute, guiding the technical consultants in the coherent formulation of their analyzes in support of the strategy pursued by entering into the technical details in order to ensure a clear and unambiguous interpretation of the disputed facts and the consequent damages deriving from them.’
- Assisting Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A., as defendant, in a lawsuit in which the claimants are three real estate companies based in Rome, concerning overdraft and loan contracts (sudden call in loan) with claimants’ request of full compensation for damages arising from the sell-off of real estate assets in order to pay amounts not due.
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato disputes department focuses on financial litigation, regulatory investigations and criminal law matters, as well as corporate and commercial disputes, and insolvency-related litigation and arbitration. The team, co-led by Massimo Greco and Amilcare Sada who was promoted to partner in 2022, has strong capabilities in handling complex domestic and multijurisdictional matters. Key matters and sectors include finance, corporate and commercial litigation, financial and criminal investigations, restructuring and insolvency and energy disputes. Francesca Petronio was a new arrival in October 2022.
Massimo Greco; Amilcare Sada; Francesca Petronio
Other key lawyers:
‘A&O Italy’s litigation practice is exceptionally talented and can provide strategic advice in the most complex cross-border litigation cases. They have wide experience in managing parallel proceedings, as well as cases having civil, criminal, as well as regulatory angles. They bill in a very efficient way.’
‘Amilcare Sada, recently made partner, is our preferred contact. Martina Rossi, Elena Drusian and Emanuela Semino are other lawyers to note.’
W. L. Gore
- Advising a major international bank, as defendant, on significant civil, criminal and regulatory litigation in Italy and England arising from a series of complex, high-value transactions with a well-known Italian bank.
- Assisted an Italian SPV which invests in non-performing loans and is subscribed to by a major US investment bank, against a petition for bankruptcy filed against the SPV by certain service providers.
- Assisting eight Italian and international banks in a high-profile civil action brought by the banking foundation, Fondazione Monte dei Paschi di Siena (MPS), before the Court of Florence in connection with a financing granted to Fondazione MPS by the aforementioned banks together with three further global financial services groups.
Bird & Bird boasts an integrated dispute resolution group offering arbitration and mediation advice with commercial disputes at the heart of the practice. The team, headed by recognised IP litigator Giovanni Galimberti, assists national and international companies in a complex range of disputes, including bribery, corruption and money laundering, all of which are key strengths of Raimondo Maggiore.
Other key lawyers:
Raimondo Maggiore; Massimiliano Mostardini; Federico Marini Balestra; Stefano Febbi; Afra Casiraghi; Arturo Leone; Edoardo Lombardi; Osvaldo Lombardi
Allianz Bank S.p.A.
Banca Agricola Popolare di Ragusa S.c.p.a
Banca di Credito Cooperativo di Recanati e Colmurano S.C.
Banca Popolare di Puglia e Basilicata S.c.p.a.
Banca Popolare Pugliese S.c.p.a.
Claas Italia S.p.A. / Usines Claas France S.A.S.
Crédit Agricole Italia S.p.A.
Leroy Merlin Italia
- Assisting several banks and other financial intermediaries in a large number of disputes pending before the local courts or the Italian Supreme Court concerning alleged violations of banking (e.g. usury, anatocism, Euribor manipulation, phishing etc.) and financial regulation (e.g. mis-selling of financial instruments) provisions.
- Assisting the asset management company Europa Risorse S.G.R.p.A. in relation to the lawsuit brought by a shareholder of a real estate investment fund.
- Assisting CEOs, directors, statutory auditors and key corporate function holders of Banca Intermobiliare di Investimenti e Gestioni S.p.A., Banca Consulia S.p.A. and Banco delle Tre Venezie S.p.A. in several cases pending before the Italian Supreme Court pertaining to administrative sanctions imposed by Supervisory Authorities.
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato‘s key industries include the manufacturing, energy, TMT, healthcare and construction. A significant portion of the recent caseload included contractual and transactional disputes arising from Covid-19. The team is led by Margherita Barié and Salvatore Nolasco, and often acts on matters with a cross-border component, including significant arbitrations.
Margherita Barié; Salvatore Nolasco
Other key lawyers:
Christian Patelmo; Pierfrancesca Belcredi; Emanuele Papagni
Arnoldo Mondadori Editore S.p.A.
Bormioli Luigi S.p.A.
Chero Piping S.p.A.
Columbia Sportswear Corporation
De Agostini Editore S.p.A.
De Agostini Libri S.r.l.
De Angelis Food
Enerqos Energy Solutions S.r.l.
Faram 1957 S.p.A.
Getronics Finance Holding BV
Giesecke + Devrient a socio unico Srl
Irminio S.r.l. (part of Hupecol Operating Co. Group)
Kampac International Ltd.
Kem One S.A.K.
Invest Holding SAL
Le Camille S.à.r.l.
Medi-Market Italia S.r.l.
Monaco Resources S.A.
Morato Pane S.p.A.
Nespresso Italiana S.p.A. (Nestlé Group)
Nestlé Italiana S.p.A.
Nexans Italia S.p.A.
NT Majocchi S.r.l.
PEO Private Engineering Office
San Pellegrino S.p.A. (Nestlé Group)
Stryker Italia S.r.l.
Team Automazioni S.r.l.
Versalis S.p.A. (part of ENI Group)
Vodafone Italia S.p.A.
- Representing the bankruptcy estate of the Luxemburg company Le Camille in a major litigation against the Italian company Icatex S.r.l. aimed at excluding Le Camille from Icatex’s corporate capital despite its majority stake.
- Assisting Versalis S.p.A. before the Court of Cassation in four proceedings for compensation of damages triggered by the purchase of a bioethanol production plant.
- Represented Nestlé Italiana S.p.A in a lawsuit started by a former Nestlé agent before the Tribunal of Milan. The case will serve as significant precedent because the judge assigned a private agreement that was formally disavowed by the counterparty, the value of evidence of authentic execution.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani
Litigation, arbitration and mediation form the pillars of the dispute resolution team at De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani. Founding partner Maria Cristina Franchini , with expertise in international and multijurisdictional litigation and private international law, heads up the team. Other key contacts include real estate and insolvency litigation specialist, Federica Castioni, IP litigator, Silvia Doria, and Andrew Paton, specialised in international commercial and construction litigation. Several of the practice’s partners are regularly appointed as arbitrators in both ad hoc and institutional arbitrations, including construction and commercial matters.
Maria Cristina Franchini; Michelangelo Cicogna; Giovanni De Berti
Other key lawyers:
Federica Castioni; Silvia Doria; Andrew G. Paton; David Maria Santoro
‘The team is truly international and one of the best arbitration teams in Italy. It also enjoys large experience in Russia and in Eastern Europe.’
‘Andrew Paton is the one individual who stands out for his excellency, clarity of thought and insightful knowledge of the law.’
‘I saw Michelangelo Cicogna in action. He is an excellent Counsel and enjoys a lot of experience in arbitration. In addition he is a very pleasant person.’
Arup Italia Srl
B.S.P. Engineering Srl Bulk Storage Plant Engineering
Culligan Italiana SpA
RIZZANI de ECCHER
SACE Fct SpA
Saskatchewan Power Corporation, Canada
Servizio Elettrico Nazionale SpA
TIA Tirana International Airport SHPK
Volvo Group Italia SpA
- Assisted Stati in litigation before the Court of Appeal in Rome and the Supreme Court in the recognition proceedings of the ECT arbitral award against Kazakhstan in the long lasting saga related to the enforcement in various jurisdictions of the award in favor of the investor.
- Assisted Powercom in multifaceted disputes, including the recognition and enforcement of a Taiwanese judgment in Italy brought by a Dutch party, multijurisdictional litigation proceedings in EU, arbitration proceedings in Singapore under the SIAC Rules and setting aside proceedings currently pending in Singapore.
- Provided expert witness report and evidence for Saskatchewan Power Corporation to the Canadian Court on issues of Italian jurisdiction and enforcement of Canadian judgments in Italy.
Litigation and arbitration boutique, FIVELEX Studio Legale e Tributario, advises companies operating in various sectors, such as finance, banking, manufacturing, energy, construction, infrastructure, and media. The group, led by the trio of Alfredo Craca, Claudio Tatozzi and Vittorio Pisapia, advises clients at all phases of disputes, as well as in arbitration proceedings governed by Italian law.
Alfredo Craca; Claudio Tatozzi; Vittorio Pisapia
‘The FIVLEx law firm is very well organized, always ensures high quality in their advice and case management, always up to date and ready on even complex issues, they delve into all possible variables in a very short time in order to find the most appropriate solution. always available and ready for confrontation it is really also a pleasure and enrichment to work together with them.’
‘The attorney with whom my facility collaborates is attorney Vittorio Pisapia who does Litigation work. All the considerations expressed above, refer to him. I can add that the firm is very well organised.’
‘The firm stands out for its excellent professional skills, rapid response times, availability and relational skills also with other firms.’
‘The team is always prepared and updated.’
‘Great availability for their clients.’
SC Aetas Holdings Pte. Ltd.
- Assisted SC Aeatas Holdings in a dispute currently pending before the Court of Monzawith Giorgetti s.p.a. and Battaglia s.r.l., concerning the quality of the furniture provided by the latter.
Gatti Pavesi Bianchi Ludovici fields a corporate and commercial litigation practice handling shareholder disputes, especially director liability claims, and litigation arising from insolvency proceedings, as well as banking and contractual cases. The team, led by Carlo Pavesi , also frequently handles domestic and international arbitrations. Luigi Arturo Bianchi assists domestic and international clients in complex corporate, corporate governance and M&A matters. Rita Clemente is another key contact, specialised in corporate law, banking and finance litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Francesco Gatti; Luigi Arturo Bianchi; Rita Clemente; Lorenzo Pintus
‘They are a firm with high attention to the client. They are growing and mixing a good level of direct interaction with the partners (not often in the main International Law firm) with a very good quality’
‘I have dealt with Mr Carlo Pavesi, in a very complex litigation and settlement. They have assisted us for 2 years of continuous negotiation, often frustrating negotiation without losing the attention and focus on the deal. I recommend them.’
‘I have dealt with Mr Luigi Arturo Bianchi, for some opinion and the result was very good, with a high level of deep analysis.’
‘Partners’ level of involvement is pretty unique.’
‘The two partners I worked with (Mr. Gatti and Mr. Pavesi) combine their law expertise with a deep understanding of the business, which proved to be extremely important within the case.’
- Assisted a real estate vehicle in the arbitration proceedings initiated by RCS, a major multimedia publishing group active in all publishing sectors, relating to the sale and lease of certain real estate assets including the historical headquarter building located in Milan.
- Assisted a leading Italian bank in a high value complex dispute before the Court of Milan.
- Assisting Italy’s main telecommunications company in a number of complex antitrust legal actions.
The dispute resolution practice at Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria assists clients in high-profile cases before national, EU and international courts and arbitration panels. The team has developed specific expertise representing clients in securities litigation matters, including class actions and derivative actions brought by security holders. Founder Alberto Santa Maria is regularly involved in domestic and international arbitration cases, acting either as arbitrator or counsel to parties. Santa Maria heads the practice with Mariafrancesca De Leo who joined in 2022 from Eversheds Sutherland, bringing expertise in financial services litigation and regulatory enforcement procedures. Bruno Cova joined from Studio Legale Delfino e Associati Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP in April 2023.
Alberto Santa Maria; Mariafrancesca De Leo
Other key lawyers:
‘The team enjoys a strong market profile and has a reputation for being able to handle complex matters that are unusual for an Italian firm due to the profound expertise built up on the retail sector.’
‘Their support was extremely useful and their day to day assistance allowed us to find a brilliant solution.’
EXPO 2015 Arexpo
Hotel Villa d’Este
Paper Moon Garden S.r.l.
- Representing ENI in a dispute before the Court of First Instance of Potenza (Region of Basilicata) brought by 80 plaintiffs, involving the largest on-shore oil field in Western Europe.
- Representing EXPO 2015 in a proceeding concerning a compensation for alleged environmental damage caused by Brenntag which is responsible for polluting the area, in which the international exhibition of Milan took place.
- Assisting Villa D’Este, in a dispute against Tolda S.r.l., the owner of a property bordering the one of Villa d’Este, concerning the restoration of the site at the expense of the respondent.
Hogan Lovells International LLP‘s Italian litigation and arbitration team works in close collaboration with its international network, allowing for a cross-border offering covering the full array of litigation and arbitrational matters. Practice head Christian Di Mauro specialises in product liability disputes within the life sciences sector, while founding partner Francesca Rolla heads the investigations and white-collar practice. Frequently appointed as an arbitrator, Andrea Atteritano is responsible for the firm’s dispute resolution offering in Rome.
Christian Di Mauro
Other key lawyers:
Francesca Rolla; Andrea Atteritano
‘The team shows lots of positive qualities, the main one is the extreme deep legal knowledge reinforced by a great knowledge of financial, commercial and technical topics of a contract. When working with this team it is not needed to spend too much time to explain such details exactly because they already own them, and this is an important saving of time and money.’
‘People are easy to work with and they make them-selves reachable even with a short advance notice. This is important when working running against the clock, with short deadlines.’
Anheuser-Busch InBev (Peroni)
British American Tobacco
Hansard Europe DAC
Hansard International Ltd
Honeywell Safety Products and Honeywell Italia
Johnson Electric International
LBI ehf (former Landsbanki Islands hf)
LivaNova Deutschland GmbH and Sorin Group Italia
Lloyds Banking Group
New York University
Terna Rete Elettrica Nazionale
- Assisting Termokimik Corporation S.p.A. in a complex and multiple commercial litigation against one of its major clients for alleged malfunctioning of a Flue Gas Treatment implant.
- Assisting OVH cloud in handling the pre-action and court claims brought by OVH’s Italian clients in cooperation with the firm’s international network in relation to similar litigation in other European jurisdictions.
- Advising Enercon GmbH on a strategy in relation to possible owner/contractor disputes arising out of performance delays and defaults.
LCA Studio Legale‘s corporate and commercial dispute resolution team represents Italian and international clients in court proceedings and arbitrations. Often involved in precedent-setting cases, the group handles M&A transactions, D&O liability matters, insolvency litigation, construction and real estate matters, consumer litigation and unfair commercial practices, as well as disputes concerning software and IT contracts. Salvatore Sanzo, Gian Paolo Coppola, Luciano Castelli and Matteo Bazzani head up the practice. Bazzani and Chiara Mariani joined from Carnelutti in 2022.
Salvatore Sanzo; Gian Paolo Coppola; Luciano Castelli; Matteo Bazzani
Other key lawyers:
‘The legal team is made up of professionals of outstanding standing, with great professionalism and intuition in solving problems. They accompany the client in identifying the best defensive and extrajudicial strategy’
‘Luciano Castelli and the team’s perfect knowledge of the company makes them able to anticipate our needs and well address all our requests’
‘What sets LCA apart from other law firms is its ability to successfully balance professionalism and pragmatism. LCA’s professionals have always demonstrated a high degree of attention to our firm’s needs, including the promptness and accuracy of their responses. Being able to interact with one firm that knows us very well and take advantage of the law firm’s many practices is very important for a company like ours, where the issues are quite heterogeneous.’
‘Luciano Castelli’s experience and excellent reputation as a litigator has been essential in many commercial and contract negotiations. Indeed, the litigator’s eye and attention are crucial in the context of drafting commercial contracts.’
‘LCA is a very innovative law firm. In particular, the litigation department has professional who always show themselves highly proactive and very competent in handling a variety of legal issues (which also include regulatory ones). As far as I know, the firm is inclusive and always makes the client comfortable, even when very concerned or the problems are sophisticated.’
‘The LCA study has demonstrated a high capacity of investigating the case and structuring the legal response even in very hypotheses complex, involving specialized lawyers, even in different and / or related issues those requested primarily.’
‘My relations have been maintained with partners Matteo Bazzani and Chiara Mariani, for whom I can attest to the absolute ability to listen and understand the legal problem, the efficiency and speed of response to the requests made, with the prospect of correct, articulated and (sometimes) innovative legal solutions, in any case almost always victorious, even in cases of difficult or poor jurisprudential interpretation.’
Borges International Group
Casino de La Vallèe S.p.A.
Jobson Italia S.p.a.
Nexive (now Poste Italiane)
- Acting for the petitioner in a EUR40 million courtroom battle to invalidate a will procured through undue influence over a mentally incapacitated person.
- Acting for Casino de La Vallèe S.p.A. in a EUR43.6 million dispute over alleged unpaid rents and punitive damages relating to a famous hotel and casino.
- A EUR90 million Supreme Court case to exclude the claims of Intesa Sanpaolo and MPS from the list of Fallimento Eurocity’s creditors.
In its second year post-merger, Mondini Bonora Ginevra Studio Legale boasts an active IP, commercial and corporate litigation practice. Well-respected Paolo Flavio Mondini and banking and finance expert, Claudio Bonora, head up the team constituted of Daniele Giombini, well-versed in complex directors’ liability matters, and Francesco Rusconi who specialises in insurance litigation.
Paolo Flavio Mondini; Claudio Bonora
Other key lawyers:
Daniele Giombini; Francesco Rusconi
‘Multidisciplinary skills, determination ability to investigate particularly innovative / complex issues, ethically irreproachable behavior.’
‘Prof. Paolo Mondini demonstrates that he has full understanding of the client’s objectives and how to achieve them also and above all through alternative and satisfactory solutions to judicial disputes.’
‘The practice leverages a high level of responsiveness, however always ensuring an unparalleled quality and sharp approach.’
‘All individuals demonstrated strong negotiations skills with the counterparty and high level of knowledge of intellectual property law and contracts law.’
‘The Mondini Bonora Ginevra Law Firm combines various high-level expertise in the field of corporate law, Intellectual Property (IP), labour law and industrial law in general. In my case it was very useful to have a complete picture of the different profiles that I was directly concerned by. Thanks to the expertise of the firm’s professionals, I was able to receive qualified opinions relating to various branches of law.’
‘Great competence and professional seriousness distinguishes the Mondini Bonora Ginevra law firm, together with the ability to promptly identify the best solution to offer the client.’
‘The whole MBG is composed by top legal profiles who understand your business needs to provide excellent legal resolutions.’
‘Paolo Mondini and the team are great expert attorneys who can assist providing a tailor made 360 legal consultancy.’
New Crazy Colors
- Assisting ANAS in a complex corporate litigation with the company that manages the Monte Bianco tunnel (SITMB S.p.a.), claiming the violation of the bylaws and the statutory regulation.
- Advised Bettineschi’s family for the sale of a minority stock in Trebi Generalconsult, a leading company in software for banks and financial intermediaries.
- Advising private individuals in a number of cases where they challenge the validity of resolutions of condominium meetings approving work of an extraordinary nature which, according to a special Italian regulation, should be entirely subsidized by the State.
Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati‘s disputes group has a particular focus on corporate and finance litigation, especially shareholders’ disputes, directors’ liability and insolvency claims and is active in energy, insolvency and bankruptcy procedures. The restructuring and financial expertise is derived from practice heads Valeria Mazzoletti and Paolo Pototschnig, respectively, who are also regularly appointed as arbitrators. The team is adept in handling civil proceedings at the intersection of white-collar crime.
Paolo Pototschnig; Valeria Mazzoletti
Other key lawyers:
Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A.
Coima SGR S.p.A.
Sky Italia S.r.l.
Banco BPM S.p.A.
UnipolSai Assicurazioni S.p.A.
Salonit Ahnovo d.d. – Wietersdorfer Alpacem GmbH
Giordano & C. S.p.A.
H. Taylor & Son (Brockley) Limited, trading as RS Sailing
Dott. Riccardo Silva
Credit Agricole Italia S.p.A.
Oracle Italia S.r.l.
- Assisted Sky Italia in a lawsuit against Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A, in order to obtain a declaration of ineffectiveness of the injunction related to the payments of the rights of the Football Season 2019/2020, not paid by Sky Italia because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A., Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A., and Banco BPM S.p.A., Unicredit S.p.A. on claim for alleged damages of over EUR 350mio arisen from a debt restructuring agreement.
- Assisted a shareholder and director of a company operating in the field of the international broadcasting of the main football competitions in Italy on an action for damages, worth about EUR 1.6 bn, brought against him and other companies and individuals by the Italian Football League, in relation to alleged breaches of competition law in the context of tenders for the awarding of broadcasting rights.
Pavia e Ansaldo’s dispute practice has particular expertise in banking and finance litigation, while also being active in a myriad of sectors including infrastructure, IT, energy, manufacturing, transport, healthcare, and real estate. The group, jointly headed by Marina Santarelli and Maurizio Vasciminni, often represents real estate investment funds and telecom operators, among other multinational clients, before inter alia the Italian Supreme Court. Banking, insurance and financial services litigation expert, Eugenia Croce, and arbitration specialist, Roberto Oliva, were promoted to partner in 2022.
Marina Santarelli; Maurizio Vasciminni
Other key lawyers:
Eugenia Croce; Roberto Oliva
‘Very competent team, with a personalised assistance to its clients. The team has very high ethical standards, always promising what they can deliver.’
‘Marina Santarelli is an outstanding lawyer, with a great experience and a natural capability to understand clients’ needs and expectations. Together with Stefano Bianchi – also an exceptional civili law expert – they form a great team.’
‘Dispute resolution team of Pavia e Ansaldo has great experience in managing multi-jurisdictional disputes in business arbitration.’
‘Roberto Oliva has great understanding of legal problems and deep knowledge of arbitration.’
‘Has the very rare quality amongst disputes lawyers of being motivated to find a commercially sensible solution for both parties.’
‘My experience with Pavia Ansaldo was decisive in settling a matter with important professional and personal effects. The consultancy, which is still in progress, was effective, carried out with extreme professionalism: clarity in setting up the preparatory commitment, transparency in billing. In addition to this, a decisive human factor, a quality that completes the figure of the lawyer.’
‘Mr Oliva was able to focus immediately and implement an effective and stringent strategy which in a short period led to an to an extraordinary result. Today Mr Roberto Oliva is my trusted lawyer, a high professional profile that I highly recommended. Unquestionably the to whom to turn to for any important legal question.’
Actavis Italy S.p.A.
Lufthansa Technik AG
Siemens Healthcare S.r.l.
Siemens Energy S.r.l.
Taxiblu 4040 and Autoradiotassì 8585
Banca Generali Group, Generali Group
- Defending the US parent company and two UK subsidiaries of one of the world’s largest and best known banks in multiple multi-million Euro actions brought by retail investors in Italian courts over several years.
- Provided specialist expertise in disputes concerning the misconduct of financial advisers which were wide-ranging in nature, including the selling of unsuitable financial products to clients; breach of the duty; and misappropriation of funds.
- Representing a leading Italian company in complex proceedings arising from payment of various bank guarantees (advance payment bonds and performance bonds according to the international standards known as ‘quadrilateral guarantees’).
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie represents clients in domestic and international arbitrations, Italian and cross-border litigation, as well as alternative dispute resolution, including mediation. The team, headed by Lorenzo De Martinis, assists its clients, including financial institutions and corporations, in the drafting of contractual covenants, in pre-litigation negotiations, and in the process of risk evaluation. The group also boasts a white-collar crime practice, providing compliance and investigations advice and representation in court.
Lorenzo de Martinis
Other key lawyers:
Francesco Maruffi; Luca Pescatore; Gaetano Iorio Fiorelli
‘The team is composed of excellent professionals with expertise on different topics. They usually answer in a very short time, sometimes jointly.’
‘We are really glad to have Mr. Gaetano Iorio Fiorelli as our partner. He is really competent in the specific insurance market regulation. Thank to him, we have already solved almost all of our litigation proceeds, in all instances. He is always ready to hear our inputs and to learn from them. He continuously keeps us posted about new regulation changes.’
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP is known for representing states and state-owned entities in high-profile and high-value investment treaty disputes, as well as commercial arbitrations. The Italian team is jointly headed by Edoardo Zucchelli, Irene Petrelli and Emanuella Agostinelli, regularly assisting domestic and multinational corporate clients in construction, insurance and infrastructure disputes, as well as enforcement proceedings of arbitral awards and domestic judgements.
Edoardo Zucchelli; Irene Petrelli; Emanuella Agostinelli
Other key lawyers:
Milo Molfa; Valerio Salvatori
‘Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Molse LLP Italian team had been the most reliable, trustworthy dispute practitioner that I have ever worked with. They are professional, depth knowledge of the theories and practices of international arbitration. They also had an impeccable approach to work with every clients and well understand all the complicated legal issues in all jurisdiction.’
‘I would like to recommend Irene Petrelli, the partner of Italy office. She is an excellent counsel that every legal team needs her presence. She is dependable, self-assured and meticulous. She may give an intuitive advice with her diversify experience in arbitration. I also would like to recommend Mr. Valerio Salvatori, the team associate. He is on top of the case, detailed and efficiency in every tasks that he is performing.’
‘I had worked with international arbitration team of Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP, with the team members mainly located in Italy. Curtis team impressed me with impeccable service, deep knowledge and comprehensible skills of each members. The team delved a lot of insightful problems in dispute resolution and handled the clients’ matters with a thorough analysis and flexible defend strategy.’
Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA)
Republic of Uganda
Republic of India
Republic of Kazakhstan
State of Libya
Republic of Cyprus
- Ongoing representation of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in high-profile multibillion investment arbitration proceedings.
- Ongoing representation of the Republic of Uganda in high-stake arbitrations.
- Representing the State of Libya, the Libyan Investment Authority and the National Oil Corporation in numerous litigations affecting primary interests of our clients.
Studio Legale Delfino e Associati Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP acts in domestic and cross-border disputes for corporate and financial entities, with additional expertise in white-collar crime. The team is led by Francesca Pedretti and is frequently instructed in investigations, compliance matters, bankruptcy and restructuring litigation. Liability and breaches of contract are also handled by the group through cross-practice cooperation with the firm’s M&A team. Francesca Petronio left the firm in October 2022, and Bruno Cova departed for Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria in April 2023.
‘Great to work in large teams involving different practice areas, both domestic Italian and international law. They can cover all areas of law we needed, including complex insolvency proceedings, and protracted litigation’
‘Professionalism, knowledge of the market, deep experience in handling national cases across the industry and also cross-border disputes and flexibility.’
‘Francesca Pedretti is an excellent strategist and has an extensive experience in major commercial and corporate litigations and has an outstanding track record of success in the most complex cases.’
IWG International Workspace Group
Vinci Construction Grand Projets
Royal Dutch Shell plc
Ceva Logistics Italia S.r.l.
IKEA Italia Retail S.r.l.
Società Italiana per Condotte d’Acqua S.p.A.
ePizza S.p.A. – Domino’s Pizza
Carlyle Global Credit Investment Management LLC.
Ramphastos Investments Group N.V.
SKS Malta Ltd.
CBRE Inc. and CBRE S.p.A.
Eversheds Sutherland Associazione Professionale's disputes team is noted as a 'local practice, fully integrated into a global firm’. The group is primarily active in commercial and corporate disputes, insolvency matters, banking, finance and insurance litigation. Practice head Renato Fiumalbi represents clients in domestic litigations before ordinary courts, as well as in arbitration proceedings, both domestic and international. Beatrice Bigonzi, head of the commercial practice, and Simone Barnaba, noted for his strong experience representing oil & gas multinationals, are also integral to the team.
Other key lawyers:
Beatrice Bigonzi; Simone Barnaba
‘The team has assisted us with effectiveness and high competence. Their advice is always sharp to the point, pragmatic and clear’
‘Simone Barnaba is particularly good. An excellent lawyer with great client-management skills (who speaks and writes flawless English).’
‘The team is characterized by their unusual ability to meet the needs of a company combining, in an efficient way, high expertise and proved experience with the quality of the advices and response speed, which is essential in such cases.’
‘I would like to recommend Simone Barnaba, in their relevant field of competence, have showed a depth expertise and appropriateness of advice, with uncommon qualities of business acumen and industry knowledge.’
IATA – International Air Transport Association
Kuwait Petroleum Italia S.p.A.
Kuwait Petroleum Aviation (Netherlands) N.V.
Q8 Quaser S.r.l.
- Assisted Doosan Bobcat EMEA s.r.o. in a EUR15mio dispute brought against it by two former partners and exclusive distributors for certain region of the Italian territory, which claimed damages for illegitimate restriction of the competition and abuse of dominant position and of the position of economic dependency of the plaintiffs, unfair behaviour during the course of the relationship and its abrupt and unjustified termination.
- Assisting a foreign regulatory entity to defend in a multimillion litigation commenced before the Court of Milan by a large number of investors who claimed that they had lost their investments with a broker that is now insolvent.
- Representing a leading Italian bank in an appeal before the Supreme Court of Cassation against a decision by the Court of Appeal ordering the bank to pay nearly EUR14 mio damages to an Italian company which purchased the claim originally brought against the bank by the bankruptcy of another Italian company in connection with a number of alleged fraudulent transactions made through the bank’s held accounts.
Gattai, Minoli, Partners’ dispute and litigation department focuses on corporate, financial, civil and commercial litigation, as well as arbitration. The group is headed by a trio consisting of Luca Minoli, Sergio Fulco and Filippo Rossi , combining litigation and arbitration expertise in a myriad of industries. Owing to a close cooperation with the firm’s IP/IT, energy and infrastructure, labour and antitrust specialists, the team attracts a diverse client base.
Luca Minoli; Sergio Fulco; Filippo Rossi
‘Presence, availability, technical competence, dedication to the cause.’
Ilva S.p.A. in Amministrazione Straordinaria
- Assisting Ilva S.p.A. in Extraordinary Administration, as well as its controlled companies Partecipazioni Industriali S.p.A. in Extraordinary Administration and Ilvaform S.p.A. in Extraordinary Administration, in several judicial proceedings arising from orders of rejections of claims of admission to the statement of liabilities of the procedures of Ilva and its controlled companies.
- Assisting Siram S.p.A., the Italian subsidiary of the French multinational company Veolia active in the energy and multi-technology services sector, in a proceeding pending before the Court of Appeal of Milan.
- Assisting U-Earth Biotech Limited (“U-Earth”) in a complex and interdisciplinary dispute, involving civil, criminal, administrative, IP and antitrust litigation, concerning the face masks produced and traded under the trademark U-MASK.
hi.lex’s dispute resolution team acts both in civil and commercial disputes, including corporate and contractual matters, and post-M&A litigation. provides ADR advice. The well-reputed Maurizio Traverso has longstanding experience and heads up the team alongside IP litigator, Emanuela Ferro, and Emanuele Breggia, who stands out for also being qualified to practice in the UK. The trio also frequently acts in ad hoc, ICC, domestic and international arbitration matters.
Maurizio Traverso; Emanuela Ferro; Emanuele Breggia
‘The HI.LEX Studio stands out for the high professionalism and preparation of its members. We greatly appreciated the expertise in commercial and corporate law, in particular with regard to extraordinary corporate transactions. We also appreciate the legal expertise of international business operations.’
‘Very competent and creative team with both deep IP law knowledge and deep procedural law knowledge. Very easy to work with!’
‘The team has everything that is necessary to a client: knowledge of the law, advocacy and negotiation skills, business acumen, dedication, availability.’
‘Maurizio Traverso’s dedication to his work is unparalleled. What he does will always be of the highest quality Emanuele Breggia combines great knowledge of the law with an impressive set of professional skills.’
‘Maurizio Traverso and Emanuele Breggia have consistently performed outstandingly.’
‘The outstanding individual practitioners are Mr. Maurizio Traverso and Mr. Emanuele Breggia. They are a perfect mix of strong knowledge of the law combined with an always clear view of the strategic goals to be reached. Always very effective in their legal initiatives on behalf of the client.’
‘The strength and depth of the knowledge of the litigation team in relation to the Italian market and court system is very impressive. They are also extremely client friendly.’
At Molinari Agostinelli, corporate and commercial specialist Ugo Molinari, who also acts in national and international arbitration, heads the practice with Roberto Crosti who is sought after for his contractual obligation expertise. The team also has particular strength in asset management litigation, representations and warranties violations, contractual liabilities, actions for damages, inheritance and banking litigation.
Ugo Molinari; Roberto Crosti
‘Very professional people, with a specific attention to hear the expectation of the clients.’
‘Several specialisations with a high grade of quality in terms of competences.’
Coop Alleanza 3.0 Soc. Coop.
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Bizzi & Partner
Prelios S.p.A. – Prelios SGR
DeA Capital Alternative Funds
Chubb European Group – Rappresentanza per l’Italia
Gruppo Carlo Maresca
Europa Risorse SGR
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe’s dispute resolution department boasts an integrated white-collar crime defence practice, acting for financial Institutions, multinational corporates and individuals in complex, cross-border civil and criminal proceedings. The group is recognised for its strength in banking and finance litigation and frequently represents national and international clients before Italian and European courts. Jean-Paule Castagno specialises in white-collar criminal matters, and jointly heads the department with Michele Bertani, who focuses on complex commercial and IP disputes.
Michele Bertani; Jean Paule Castagno
Other key lawyers:
Pietro Merlino; Mario Scofferi; Elisabetta Santo; Francesca Proietto
‘High level of professionality and friendly relationship with the client.’
‘Very clear approach to the problem and in explaining the risks and the opportunity of the different solutions.’
‘Francesca Proietto was really the key to solve our matter. She was immediately capable to understand the topic and to provide high qualified support in the management of the conflict with the counterpart. Then, in the phase of contracts drafting, she was accurate and proactive providing different solutions to complex problems. She was always available and easy to reach.’
‘Orrick’s Milan law firm had been able to put together a very competent and reliable team to work on a complex and multi year dispute with a listed multinational company. The amount of work and skill required in order to so could have been fulfilled only by such a very strong team capable to put together various skill sets across different seniorities. Furthermore the consistency and the stability of the people involved across the years, without any disruptive change of personnel which is typical of the law services industry, is very appreciated and not something very usual.’
‘The individuals involved had been, across the years which the dispute unfortunately had been lasting, very consinstent and always fully involved and very professional. When this kind of dispute drag so long is not to be given for sure such a level of commitment and this is very much to be much appreciated from the professionals at Orrick Milan.’
‘Always willing to go the extra mile, whether fee-paying or pro bono advice. Clearly see themselves as part of us, we’re not a client, they make us feel that we’re all in this together. Very strategic in how they approach litigation, thorough, always go the extra mile. willing to trial alternative technologies e.g. computer software to conduct translations, to save time and budget. Phenomenal, extensive pro bono offering.’
‘Jean-Paule Castagno, is always available, strategic, conscientious, and clearly very very bright and dedicated. Makes you feel supported, she and her team are there holding your hand. handles challenging stakeholders brilliantly. Andrea – very promising up and coming associate.’
‘Orrick team was really diverse and complementary, with multiple capabilities. Our collaboration with Orrick team was extremely intense, flexible and effective. We found a very flexible approach for billing.’
Veneto Banca s.p.a. in liquidazione coatta amministrativa
F. Hoffmann-La Roche
- Assisted Kedrion in the three-year investigation launched by the Romanian Competition Council (the “RCC”) against the company, its main global competitors and their pan-European trade association in connection with an alleged anticompetitive arrangement.
- Representing Veneto Banca s.p.a. in liquidazione coatta amministrativa in a proceeding before the Court of Venice regarding the liability of 19 directors and company’s auditors.
- Jean-Paule Castagno obtained the full acquittal of Daniele Cabiati, former General Manager of Banca Popolare dell’Etruria e del Lazio, in criminal proceedings pending before the Court of Arezzo in relation to allegations of bankruptcy, on the grounds that ‘the fact does not exist’.
Through local expertise backed up by an international network, Osborne Clarke‘s dispute resolution department is geared to handle both domestic and multinational matters. Led by Federico Banti, the team acts in all types of commercial disputes, including litigious media, life science and healthcare, financial services, energy and utilities, IT and real estate matters. Senior associate Federico M Ferrara provides expertise in corporate and bankruptcy-related litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Federico M Ferrara
‘Federico Banti – Federico is tenacious and creative. He is prepared to fight hard to achieve the best outcome.’
Cap Gemini Italia S.p.A.
CREDEM – Credito Emiliano S.p.A.
ENPAPI (Ente Nazionale di Previdenza e Assistenza della Professione Infermieristica)
First Solar GmbH
Grifols Italia S.p.A.
Health Italia S.p.A.
Linea Ambiente S.r.l
Municipality of Rozzano
Pasubio Sviluppo S.p.A. in Liquidazione
Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A.
Tea Reteluce S.r.l.
Uber Technologies Inc. and Uber B.V
Unieco soc. Coop
- Represented the liquidator of Unieco Soc. Coop. in connection with opposition proceedings filed by multiple creditors, including proceedings brought by 16 creditor banks.
- Representing the Hanes Group in proceedings brought by a German company over the termination of a lease contract – a dispute that raises questions of what should be deemed a commercial lease, as well as public law issues.
- Acting for Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A. in its claim against Edizioni Musicali Acqua Azzurra and three other defendants (Aquilone S.r.l, Grazia Veronese and Luca Battisti) for damages in a case that raises important and novel questions concerning the digital exploitation of older tracks covered by contracts signed decades ago before recent technological changes.
Portolano Cavallo’s dispute team has a particular focus on TMT-specific matters, especially those pertaining to copyright, data protection and hate speech matters. Thanks to close cross-practice cooperation, the group is also proficient in energy, insolvency, antitrust and post-M&A disputes. Headed by Micael Montinari and Martina Lucenti, the team routinely appears in arbitration proceedings. In 2022, Ilaria Curti was promoted to partner and Maria Balestriero joined the firm.
Micael Montinari; Martina Lucenti
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very collaborative and professional.’
‘Professionals always available.’
‘The main strength of Portolano as a team is its expertise in different areas and know-how in dispute resolution. Their feedback on practical aspects of litigation in Italy provided an edge in comparison with other law firms in Italy.’
‘Martina Lucenti’s expertise in contractual Law and civil litigation provided us with a great understanding of our position in different disputes we were engaging. She stands out as she also delivers that legal expertise with a practical and strategic view, aligned with our interests in the long term.’
The disputes team, headed by Elvezio Santarelli, at Watson Farley & Williams is experienced in all aspects of dispute resolution, including arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. The practice has been at the forefront of third-party litigation funding pertaining to arbitration, class actions, and anti-trust private enforcement cases in Italy. The team provides judicial assistance to both contracting authorities and private parties before the administrative courts.
Other key lawyers:
Tiziana Manenti; Francesco Piron; Giannalberto Mazzei
Made in Energy S.r.l.
Tea Energia S.r.l.
GNERA Energy and Technology, S.L.
- Advised Italian Association of Consumers and Producers of Renewable Energy (“ACEPER”), as representative of several photovoltaic operators, before the Lazio Administrative Regional Court (“TAR Lazio”) in its claim against the Gestore dei Servizi Energetici – GSE S.p.A. (“GSE”), the Italian government entity promoting renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Represented Tayan Energy before the Italian Counsel of State (“CdS”) in proceedings brought by the Ministry of Culture (“MiC”) to obtain the annulment of Regional Single Authorisation Measures (Provvedimenti Autorizzatori Unici Regionali – “PAUR”).
- Advised Ryanair on its appeal against the Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport’s Decree no. 2/2020, which imposed Public Service Obligations (“PSOs”) on scheduled air services between Trapani airport and other six destinations.
At CMS, practice heads Laura Opilio and Paola Ghezzi oversee a practice adept in complex transnational multiparty claims, litigating before all Italian courts. The team assists clients in defence class actions, damage, medical malpractice and product liability claims, and benefits from close cross-practice cooperation, in particular with the corporate, tax and insurance departments. Opilio also acts in both national and international arbitration matters.
Laura Opilio; Paola Ghezzi
Other key lawyers:
Vincenzo Giangiacomo; Massimo Dotto; Nicolò d’Elia
‘The team has a profound knowledge in the area of surety insurance and bonds in Italy, which is why we use them.’
‘Great knowledge on the insurance matter, swift replies and in general excellent assistance.’
‘Laura Opilio and Luca Odorizzi have a deep know-how and amazing soft skills.’
‘I had the pleasure to work with the DR team for the past two years by having strong, daily collaboration to provide effective solution to complex insurance and litigation challenges. They brought an extraordinary level of legal experience and also practical know-how to those issues in timely manner.’
‘Partners Laura Opilio and Massimo Dotto were my primary contacts whom I had worked with quite extensively. Both demonstrated high level of professionalism with special focus on the insurance legislation and related litigation strategies. Laura and Massimo showed excellent communication skills both in oral and written with strong responsiveness.’
‘Laura Opilio: extremely responsive, great competence.’
‘Team with a strong expertise and ability to work on difficult cases, portfolios.’
‘All staff from the firm is very competent and prepared and very kind in interactions.’
Generali Italia S.p.A.
Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe SA
AmTrust Europe Ltd
Brit Insurance Holdings Ltd
QBE Insurance Europe Ltd
Arch Insurance Europe
Istituto Figlie di San Camillo (Medical centers and hospitals)
Ufficio Centrale Italiano Soc. Cons. A R L
- Assisting the Italian branch of an international leading company group in the luxury hotel sector in a case at the tribunal of Rome against BH Ristorazione S.r.l. for the acknowledgment of a supply contract for food and beverage service at a Boscolo five stars hotel in Rome and the credit for consideration of the service.
- Assisting a major French Gas company, in a case at the Court of Appeal of Bologna against the Italian leader construction company claiming for payment of some receivables under a construction contract for a pipeline in Southern France.
- Assisting two companies of a Spanish company group in tourist resort management in a breach of contract case at the tribunal of Milan for returning of a deposit paid for the development of a project in Venice for a five star hotel.
Giovanardi Studio Legale's dispute practice is headed up by Carlo Alberto Giovanardi, together with Cristiano Ruspi and Cecilia Lampertico. While the group primarily litigates insolvency and restructuring cases, the team also handles banking and finance disputes and renders consulting activities, assessing the risks, costs and benefits of any possible settlement throughout the course of a dispute.
Carlo Alberto Giovanardi; Cecilia Lampertico; Cristiano Ruspi
‘The firm is our first choice especially in particularly complex disputes. Very well prepared and competent, they are always available to find solutions, always taking into consideration the concrete needs of a company. Very inclined to the use of technology that allows to facilitate relations and the timing of fulfillment of requests.’
‘They stand out for their remarkable competence, professional reliability, great dedication and maximum punctuality. From them we constantly receive the maximum and full availability in terms of collaboration and constructive dialogue.’
‘In particular, the lawyer Carlo Alberto Giovanardi has put at our disposal his special qualification and legal competence together with a remarkable ability to evaluate and analyse very complex problems. Thanks to his remarkable professional profile he is able to identify the best solutions to solve problems.’
‘The lawyer Cristiano Ruspi demonstrates high competence, considerable preparation and professionalism. He is an excellent negotiator even towards the most qualified counterparties. Punctuality, dedication, determination and a results-oriented approach complete his excellent professional profile.’
Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A.
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro S.p.A.
BNP Paribas SA
Banco BPM S.p.A.
Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A.
AMCO Asset Management Company S.p.A.
Banco di Sardegna S.p.A.
Bramito SPV Srl
Practice head Stefano Bardella leads the team at K&L Gates, advising national and international clients in corporate, commercial, real estate, construction and bankruptcy matters. The team includes Andrea Campana and is active before courts and arbitration panels, handling both national and cross-border mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong team attitude to approaching the issues they are asked about.’
‘Deep knowledge matching with great availability and friendly attitude.’
‘The studio has a specific focus on real estate matters. They have recognized reputation and experience with reference, in particular, to construction and dispute resolution.’
‘The team headed by Stefano Bardella is always extremely reliable, clear and available.’
‘I have worked with Stefano Bardella for more than 20 years now and I simply consider him the best litigation lawyer I have ever met.’
‘Stefano Bardella is an excellent lawyer.’
‘Team has: – capability to understand the real needs. While remarking the risks of possible decisions, they will support in a consistent way the final decision made by the customer, even if it’s not the one suggested by them.’
‘Mr. Andrea Campana is supporting us in a very precise and competent way: I consider his capability to understand our targets and our wished one of his strength: using his knowledge of market and disputes, he’s always able to support us in the proper way. Up to now he managed our disputes precisely and most of all successfully.’
Alitalia Società Aerea Italiana S.p.A. in a.s.
Augusta Ratio Group (Augusta Ratio S.p.A., Gasway S.p.A. Levigas S.p.A.)
Aurelius Equity Opportunities SE & Co. KgaA
BayWa r.e. Group (BayWa r.e. Italia S.r.l., BayWa r.e. Operation Services S.r.l., Energy System Services S.r.l.)
DeA Capital Real Estate SGR S.p.A.
Lojacono Commerciale S.p.A.
Quantum Capital Partners GmbH (Slim Fusina Rolling S.r.l., Gianetti FAD Wheels S.r.l.)
Sonder Group (Sonder Italy S.r.l.)
Stamperia Carcano Giuseppe S.p.A.
UPS Italia S.r.l. & UPS Healthcare Italia S.r.l.
Voith Group (Voith Hydro S.r.l., Voith Turbo S.r.l., Voith Hydro (Canada) Inc.)
- Assisted DeA Capital Real Estate SGR S.p.A. in a long lasting and complex dispute, around EUR 140 mn against an international contractor (WeBuild S.p.A.) regarding the construction of the new Eni headquarters.
- Assisting Alitalia Società Aerea Italiana S.p.A. in a.s. in handling cross-border litigation claims (passengers and baggage claims Italy/Brazil), regulatory/consumer issues before the competent Aviation Authorities and certain cross border issues related to Covid-19 regulations.
- Assisting BayWa r.e. Italia S.r.l. and its affiliates in connection to several disputes regarding the development and construction of solar and wind parks, vis-à-vis both the previous owners of the projects and the various contractors working on them.
The team at Macchi di Cellere Gangemi handles a varied caseload covering banking litigation, commercial disputes, corporate litigation, as well as domestic and international arbitrations. Silvia Lazzeretti, focusing on the development of energy projects, and Claudio Visco, specialised in financial and regulatory litigation, head up the team.
Silvia Lazzeretti; Claudio Visco
Other key lawyers:
Francesca Bogoni; Mattia Peretti; Andrea Gangemi; Valentina Spinelli
CAMPOVERDE ENERGIA S.R.L.
- Assistance in litigation proceedings before the Regional Administrative Court (TAR) relating to some verification activities carried out by Gestore dei Servizi Energetici SpA on energy efficiency.
- Assisting the leading National Sales Company [NSC] in the automotive/truck sector in the management of the litigation on national scale relating to disputes between the supplier and dealer network for abuse of economic dependence and breach of competition law.
McDermott Will & Emery Studio Legale Associato‘s team provides a full-service dispute resolution offering which is active domestically and internationally. The team is headed by Fabio Cozzi, who joined the team from Studio Legale Delfino e Associati Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP in 2023, and regularly assists clients in pre-litigation strategy and advice, as well as in mediation and arbitration. Stefano Mechelli is a further key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Stefano Mechelli; Massimiliano Moruzzi
Norton Rose Fulbright has a strong focus on insurance litigation and insolvency-related disputes, while also advising and representing clients M&A-related disputes. Practice head Cecilia Buresti predominantly covers civil and commercial cases, with senior associate Lucia Salerno assisting her.
Other key lawyers:
‘Exceptional, always timely service. 5 stars.’
‘Lucia Salerno, in particular, is a rising star. She is a clever, commercial and competent lawyer.’
‘NRF Italy have a very client focused practice. Their legal technical knowledge is excellent and they also have a very good commercial awareness.’
‘NRF Italy are very well regarded by their peers and are able to bring diverse markets to agreement on complex issues. Their skills when dealing with Insureds are very impressive, particularly when the Insured does not have a good understanding of the insurance product.’
‘When sending their recommendations to clients, NRF provide an excellent range of options and always assist in making an informed decision.’
‘Cecilia Buresti has a wealth of knowledge of different jurisdictions all over Italy and provides pragmatic advice that acknowledges all of the legal complexities.
‘Lucia Salerno is a very competent and effective advocate, who understands all the different facets of difficult cases. Lucia is always very available to answer queries and is able to offer proficient advice.’
Lloyd’s Insurance Company
ANV Global Services Ltd
Axis Specialty Europe SE
Credit Agricole & Investment Bank
SEB Life International
FTI Consulting LLP
- Assisting Chubb as insurers of a D&O insurance policy in relation to several proceedings incepted by bankruptcy receiverships for liability for negligence of the former Directors and Officers in charge prior to the declaration of insolvency.
- Assisting SEB Life International Assurance in relation to several proceedings by investors who purchased unit-linked policies and claim the liability of the brokers, the insurers, and of the intermediaries involved in the placement of these policies.
- Advising Credit Agricole CIB in a series of cross-border disputes relating to securities issued by the latter upon request of Italian companies involved in international projects; involves the interpretation of the EU Regulation on recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and the circulation of cautionary measures in the EU.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons‘s disputes practice specialises in commercial and corporate non-contentious and contentious litigation, with a strong focus on insurance disputes. Mauro Pisapia heads the team, as well as leading the administrative law department. Leonardo Giani has left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong understanding of what clients want and a focus on delivering it. Able to provide quick & pragmatic advice.’
AIG Europe S.A.
Zurich Insurance Plc
Lloyd’s Insurance Company SA
CNA Insurance Company (Europe) SA
StarStone Insurance SE
XL Insurance Company SE
Wisdomtree Europe S.A.
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty Ltd.
Kryalos SGR S.p.A.
Columbia Threadneedle Investments ltd.
SDA Express Courier S.p.A.
Europa Risorse SGR S.p.A.
- Representing Lloyd’s Insurance Company SA in the EUR2bn claim for mismanagement brought by the Court-appointed Administrators of Banca Popolare di Vicenza against the bank’s former directors and auditors.
- Defending StarStone as the second-risk D&O insurer of Fondazione Carige in the liability action brought by the Foundation against its former directors and officers.
- Defended AIG in the EUR 5m lawsuit for the damages arising from a massive landslide near Merano which involved several properties affected by the landslide.
Ughi E Nunziante‘s dispute resolution team is experienced in both domestic and cross-border corporate, M&A, financial and commercial disputes. The group, headed by Luigi Cascone and Agostino Clemente, has an established international arbitration practice appearing in commercial and investment arbitrations. Roberto Leccese is also among the key contacts.
Luigi Cascone; Agostino Clemente
Other key lawyers:
‘Extreme care in dealing with a sensitive litigation matter. Professionalism to the greatest possible extent.’
‘Ughi e Nunziante faw firm is very strong in dispute resolution. Its strenghts are great experience and accuracy. The deep analysis of any particular makes the difference from other firms and allows to have a positive result of the disputes.’
‘Competence; Good value for money.’
Honda Italia Industriale S.p.A.
Rockhopper Exploration PLC
- Assisted Rockhopper Italia S.p.A. and its direct and indirect controlling shareholders (the oil and gas exploration and production company) as a local expert in the international arbitration against the Italian Government for violating the agreement on investments (“ECT”) before the international arbitration court ICSID.
- Represented Honda Italia Industriale S.p.A., the Italian manufacturer entity of the Honda group, in an action brought in Italian court by Honda against a former Vice President of the Company and a number of other individuals and legal entities in connection with allegations of director’s misconduct.
- Assisting the Brancaccio Estate receiver in a dispute regarding the estate of Princess Brancaccio.
Withers Studio Legale assists domestic and international clients, including financial institutions and corporate entities, in company, contract, insurance, restructuring and insolvency litigation, as well as Italian and international arbitration. Cristina Pagni jointly heads the practice with Matilde Rota, who focuses on catering to a growing sports practice.
Matilde Rota; Cristina Pagni
Other key lawyers:
‘The professionals of the team are very experienced in the arbitration and dispute resolution fields and offer a high quality service both in terms of trustworthiness and in terms of empathy towards the clients. The feeling with the team is very comfortable and it is a real pleasure working with them.’
‘Matilde Rota, head of the team, guarantees the high quality of the services supporting all the members of the team and keeping very close to the clients needs.’
‘Team very available and fast in giving feedback. They provide a wide network of international collaborations.’
- Advising Generali Italia SpA and Alleanza Assicurazioni SpA on proceedings with respect to life insurance policies of a financial nature.
- Advising Intesa Sanpaolo SpA in proceedings pertaining to multiple claims related to banking agreements.