Compliance in Italy
BonelliErede fields experts in corporate, criminal, employment and privacy law, and is highly rated for its assistance with Decree 231, which deals with corporate crimes and the assessment of companies’ liability, investigations, and the design, assessment and monitoring of compliance programmes. The practice also acts for companies, banks and supervised entities in internal audit, tax and criminal investigations and inspections by the regulators and authorities. Genoa-based Alessandro Musella heads the corporate compliance focus team. Senior associate Michela Maccarini is project leader of the compliance management and investigations business unit, beLab, a research centre that develops working models through cutting-edge technologies.
‘It is focused on business needs and has a problem-solving approach.‘
‘Alessandro Musella is a very rounded professional who provides real and practical advice.‘
‘Senior associate Michela Maccarini is a problem-solving professional who understands clients’ business.‘
Morgan Stanley SGR
- Advised EF Solare Italia on risk assessment activities and updating of its Decree 231-related compliance programme.
- Acted for Italy’s multinational catering company, Autogrill, on compliance due diligence in relation to third parties.
- Assisted Morgan Stanley SGR with the compliance due diligence relating to business tenants and lessees.
DLA Piper's 'team comes very highly recommended'. Its scope of compliance work includes the design and implementation of corporate compliance programmes, internal investigations, defence in criminal matters, anti-bribery and corruption, and international sanctions. Other areas of expertise are anti-money laundering (AML), regulatory investigations, export controls, antitrust compliance, and data protection compliance. Rome-based compliance specialist Raffaella Quintana is both head of the white-collar crime, investigations and compliance practice and co-location head of the litigation and regulatory department. Milan's Antonio Carino has defended corporations in significant Decree 231-related domestic criminal proceedings.
‘The Italian team is very competent in compliance matters and its lawyers have an excellent combination of great legal expertise and a multi-disciplinary and business-oriented approach.‘
‘The team comes very highly recommended.‘
‘Raffaella Quintana has great skills in corporate criminal law and a pragmatic approach to things that, together with her undoubted leadership, make her a reliable consultant.‘
‘Antonio Carino is highly prepared and available; he is an experienced litigator, with an impressive record of successful cases.‘
- Advised Pfizer Italia on an internal investigation and the update of compliance programmes.
- Acted for Bonatti, which is active in engineering construction and maintenance services to the oil and gas and power industry, on the update of its compliance programme.
- Acted for The Menarini Group, an Italian pharmaceutical company, on several matters, including the review of the Italian compliance programmes for its Italian entities.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe frequently advises on the design, implementation and maintenance of compliance programmes to prevent corporate crimes. The team also assists with compliance assessments on board and committee effectiveness, data protection compliance, and compliance programmes addressing the US' Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the UK's Bribery Act-related risks. In addition, the team assists with a range of investigations. Alessandro De Nicola is a highly rated compliance specialist and Marco Dell’Antonia regularly acts on corporate governance matters. Senior associate Ivan Rotunno is experienced in data protection compliance. Recent growth includes the recruitment of Jean-Paule Castagno from Clifford Chance.
‘The team is available, professional and clear.‘
‘Alessandro De Nicola is a true leader who provides deep analysis.‘
Crédit Agricole Assicurazioni
City Green Light
CNP Unicredit Vita S.p.A.
Eurizon Capital SGR
- Advising on the implementation of Lottomatica’s compliance programme.
- Acting for Avio, on an ongoing basis, on the continuous revision of its compliance programme.
- Assisting Crédit Agricole with compliance matters.
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie's compliance practice fields specialists in corporate criminal law (particularly white-collar crime), bribery and corruption, tax crimes, bankruptcy, environmental compliance, and health and safety issues. Aurelio Giovannelli is a member of the firm's EMEA compliance steering committee, and Gianfranco Di Garbo assists major companies with corporate governance and compliance matters. Roberto Cursano focuses on pharmaceutical and healthcare-related compliance matters.
‘Appreciated for its quick responses, being pragmatic and business orientated, and the team’s negotiation skills.‘
Fast & Fluid Management
Menarini Industrie Farmaceutiche
Flamar Cavi Elettrici
ICU Medical Italy
ICU Medical Europe
- Advised Menarini Industrie Farmaceutiche Riunite’s US subsidiary on the development of its compliance model.
- Assisted Idex Group companies with developing their Decree 231 models.
- Advsied Diaverum, one of the world’s largest independent renal care providers, on upgrading its internal compliance system.
Bird & Bird is particularly focused on financial services issues, including AML and corruption. The team assists with identifying risks, due diligence processes, drafting policies and ensuring controls are in place, as well as providing ongoing compliance monitoring. In 2019, the firm's Baseline consulting arm merged with Valeocon Management Consulting to form Oxygy Management Consulting, which helps clients meet compliance standards. Raimondo Maggiore is a financial regulation expert, and Stefano Febbi and Rossella Sansone advise financial institutions on regulatory compliance.
‘It is difficult to find such a highly specialised team on the market.‘
‘Rossella Sansone is highly available and competent.‘
Banca di Bologna Credito Cooperativo – Società Cooperativa
Banca Popolare di Lajatico
Banca Popolare di Puglia e Basilicata
Banca Popolare Pugliese
Fisher Investments Europe
Groupama Asset Management SGR
Gruppo Allianz Bank Financial Advisors
Gruppo Bancario Intesa Sanpaolo
Gruppo Bancario Mediolanum
- Advised Cubico Sustainable Investments on corporate compliance matters.
- Acted for Lugo Immobiliare on corporate compliance issues.
- Advised Gruppo Allianz Bank Financial Advisors on compliance with the European and Italian rules on insurance distribution.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton's Italian offices assist Italian and foreign companies with controls and potential group governance restructurings. The practice also advises on the functioning and composition of management and supervisory bodies as well as on relationships with shareholders, supervisory authorities and auditors. In addition, it acts on the setting up and updating of Decree 231 organisational models, as well as in private enforcement matters. Giuseppe Scassellati-Sforzolini is experienced in regulated sectors, including financial services, energy, media, telecoms and airlines; and counsel Francesco De Biasi focuses on private enforcement matters and internal investigations into corporate wrongdoing.
- Advised Special Olympics on data protection compliance and its Decree 231 model.
- Acted for Guess Europe on data protection compliance.
- Advised Barilla on data protection compliance.
Clifford Chance's compliance team was recently active in designing, implementing and executing compliance programmes, particularly systems and controls to prevent criminal offences. It also assisted with the minimising of risk and detecting, preventing and remedying violations of law and regulations. Other key areas are internal investigations and acting as criminal defence counsel for corporate entities and individuals. Antonio Golino heads the firm's regulatory enforcement and financial crimes practice in Italy. Pasquale Grella is 'the senior associate to watch in the compliance practice'.
‘The team is well versed in compliance matters, handling risk assessment reviews, the reinforcement of existing compliance models and participation before supervisory bodies.‘
‘Antonio Golino is very good at handling client relationships and quickly understands their needs; he also has a very commercial approach.‘
‘Pasquale Grella is the senior associate to watch in the compliance practice.‘
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Italy
- Assisted with drafting and implementing Decree 231 for the new Italian branches of international banks, which were established in anticipation of Brexit.
- Provided compliance advice for a financial institution in relation to US sanctions and the EU Blocking Regulation.
- Advised a French luxury group on implementing its Decree 231 system.
Hogan Lovells International LLP has a significant track record in compliance in relation to internal investigations, criminal law, privacy and data protection, corporate and commercial law, tax, product liability and product compliance. Other areas of strength are media and technology, competition, environmental law, and health and safety. Fulvia Astolfi leads the compliance 231 practice, and Jeffrey Greenbaum regularly advises on compliance issues involving AML, the Payment Services Directive and Brexit. Francesca Rolla in Milan heads the Italian investigations, white-collar and fraud department. Data compliance expert Massimiliano Masnada was recently promoted to partner.
‘The team stands out for its capacity to understand clients’ requests immediately and focus on the priorities.‘
‘It is extremely focused on clients’ business needs.’
‘Francesca Rolla is an outstanding lawyer and a great team and project leader. The combination of the two makes the advice she provides unique and incredibly efficient in really tight situations.‘
‘Massimiliano Masnada is great as a litigator and compliance counsel.‘
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- Assisted Google, Eataly and Santander Consumer Bank with reviewing their internal data protection compliance.
Chiomenti regularly works with Italian and international clients to create and revise compliance models; the team also advises on the operation and composition of supervisory boards. In addition, it assists with illicit conduct and whistleblowing reports that flag up irregularities. Francesco D’Alessandro was made partner in 2019 and heads the white-collar crime unit. Of counsel Stefano Manacorda is a specialist in corporate criminal law and European and international criminal law.
Banca Popolare di Milano
- Advised Leonardo, an Italian aerospace, defence and security company on compliance and anti-corruption matters.
- Assisted Eni with its Decree 231 compliance.
- Acted for Ania on the review and update of its organisational and managerial model.
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners has longstanding expertise in Decree 231 matters, privacy and data protection-related issues, and the implications within Italy of international proceedings under FCPA and the UK Bribery Act. Other key areas are compliance programmes and internal investigations. Litigators Daniele Vecchi and Federico Busatta are compliance experts.
Danieli Officine Meccaniche & C
Legance - Avvocati Associati 's practice covers Decree 231 issues, privacy, data protection and anti-corruption. Marco Penna assists with the compliance aspects surrounding AML and the provision of banking and financial services. Andrea Fedi is noted for compliance, privacy and anti-bribery matters.
Nctm Studio Legale is experienced in compliance involving anti-corruption, data privacy and protection, Decree 231 liability of corporate entities, AML, market abuse, and health, safety and environment, as well as compliance procedures and investigations. Raffaele Caldarone assists domestic and international clients that are predominantly involved in the infrastructure, energy and manufacturing industries.
Business Integration Partners
Compagnia Aerea Italiana
Fujitsu Technologies Solutions
Italo-Nuovo Trasporti Viaggiatori
Mediterranean Shipping Company
8 Gallery Immobiliare
Acqua Minerale San Benedetto
- Advised Italgas on carrying out an assessment aimed at introducing compliance with the International Standard UNI ISO 37001:2016, which deals with anti-bribery management systems.
- Acted for Acqua Minerale San Benedetto on updating its Decree 231 model.
- Assisted Italo-Nuovo Trasporti Viaggiatori with reviewing and updating its organisation, control and management Decree 231 model.
Pavia e Ansaldo stands out for its compliance expertise in relation to the healthcare and pharmaceutical sectors. The team also has experience of data protection, consumer goods regulations and public procurement and state aid regulations. Mario Di Giulio is a Decree 231 specialist and Deborah Bolco regularly advises on data protection and compliance matters.
Arab Banking Corporation
Standard & Poor’s Global Rating Europe
The Hirmer Group
- Advised Armacell, a multinational manufacturer of industrial foams, on the compliance elements of its acquisition of Italian company, Guarto.
Pedersoli Studio Legale advises executives and supervisory boards on the assessment and management of potential criminal risks surrounding corporate initiatives, as well as on compliance with the specific corporate liability provisions of Decree 231. The team also assists with internal corporate investigations. Enrico Maria Mancuso heads the white-collar defence and investigations department. He has longstanding experience in conducting internal investigations, including across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised Discovery Italia on various Decree 231 matters.
- Assisted Trenord with Decree 231 compliance.
CMS' scope of practice includes criminal prosecutions and investigations, Decree 231 issues and corporate compliance. The practice has particular experience of advising the automotive industry on compliance matters. Emilio Battaglia heads the fraud and corporate criminal defence department; he has longstanding experience regarding criminal matters in relation to corporate management and the commercial operations of companies.
Conduent Business Solutions
Centro Porsche Padova
Synlab Holding Italy
Pentair Manufacturing Italy
Mercedes Benz Trucks Italia
- Advised Subaru Corporation on implementing GDPR compliance.
- Assisted the regional compliance officer of Porsche Italia with the implementation of group compliance programmes.
- Advised Pentair Manufacturing Italy on defining its governance structure.
Deloitte Legal Italy - Società tra Avvocati a r.l. advises Italian and international groups on the implementation, review and updating of Decree 231 models; the practice also assists with corporate governance rules, workplace-related health and safety compliance, and compliance in relation to anti-corruption programmes. Antonella Alfonsi heads the corporate compliance practice in Italy and Josephine Romano frequently advises on the implementation of regulatory compliance programmes.
‘Always willing to provide assistance and useful business tips.‘
‘Antonella Alfonsi provides very important support and tailored solutions.‘
DWF advises on the management of risk assessment under Decree 231, internal investigations, and regulatory matters including AML, market abuse and international sanctions. Italy compliance head Francesco Falco has litigation expertise in the space.
‘The team’s strengths and capabilities make DWF Milan a top choice for compliance work.‘
‘The team leader, Francesco Falco, has the added value of being a proactive, true lawyer with a can-do attitude and an experienced approach to addressing complex matters. He goes beyond standard compliance activities.‘
Jenny & Partners
Jenny.Avvocati has longstanding experience of handling Decree 231 matters, including the drafting of compliance programmes. The practice has also expanded to cover data protection, competition and safety at workplace matters. Simona Gallo is head of the firm's commercial law and compliance department; she is experienced in advising on compliance matters.
‘The team is well recognised for its compliance practice in various areas of law; it advises on an international level and fulfils clients’ expectations.‘
‘Simona Gallo needs to be mentioned – she stands out in terms of giving practical advice on the basis of undisputed experience.‘
Pirola Pennuto Zei & Associati's compliance department advises on Decree 231 models, general data protection regulations, compliance issues relating to health and safety in the workplace, and anti-corruption issues. Roberta Di Vieto has extensive experience of drafting and applying crime prevention organisational models.
‘A very good team with strong professional skills and high levels of professionalism.‘
Zadig & Voltaire
Burger King Restaurants Italia
Van Berkel International
Clariant Group – Italy
SIS Segnaletica Industriale
- Advised Weir Gabbioneta on data protection compliance.
- Acted for Van Berkel International on data protection compliance.
- Advised Burger King Restaurants Italia on data protection compliance.