Appleby's corporate team is strongly represented on work involving the insurance industry, often acting for major insurers on transactions and advising them on compliance. Simon Harding is a key name in this field, advising on M&A and corporate finance issues. Juan Thornley is another notable name from the corporate practice, whose relevant areas of expertise include advising on insurance regulation as well as occupational and personal pension schemes.
Insurance and pensions in Isle Of Man
Other key lawyers:
- Advising a private equity buyer on its take-private deal for a leading service provider to the global insurance market, including three Isle of Man regulated entities.
- Advising one of the largest global insurance groups including four Isle of Man regulated entities on the corporate and regulatory aspects of a multi-jurisdictional reorganisation.
- Advising a multinational corporation on the formation of a new international pension scheme.
Cains is a popular choice for multinational insurers, with expertise in transactional work, regulatory compliance and dispute resolution. Practice head Jonathan Latham handles transactional work and is notably strong in multi-jurisdictional reorganisation of insurance companies. Tristan Head has a similar focus on cross-border corporate work, but also advises on regulatory matters. Lindsey Bermingham's Chancery litigation practice includes a number of pensions disputes. Associate Matthew Quinn, who supports Latham on most mandates, is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising Legal & General Assurance Society Limited in relation to an insurance business transfers.
- Advisors to the trustees of the Isle of Man Bank Pension Fund and Isle of Man Bank Widows’ and Orphans Fund and advises on all aspects of Isle of Man pension law, regulation and tax.
- Advisors to BRAL in its capacity as trustee of the British Regional Airlines Group Pension Scheme and advises on all aspects of Isle of Man pension law, regulation and tax.
For some, 'the knowledge of Manx pension legislation is second to none' at DQ. Pensions specialist Annemarie Hughes leads the team and has been advising on pension scheme establishments, compliance and disputes. She is also highly experienced in pensions-adjacent areas such as trust and private client law.
‘We always receive a prompt, well considered, response to any contact with the practice.’
‘The internal communication is excellent. Cases will be discussed and input provided by the most appropriate source
‘Knowledge and understanding of our industry and issues faced is excellent. Advice is clear and easy to understand.’
‘The knowledge of IOM pension legislation is second to none. They also show exemplary knowledge of Trust legislation. They are proactive and can work to tight deadlines. ‘
‘They go above and beyond. Annemarie Hughes is exceptionally easy to work with. Her knowledge is exceptional and she works meticulously, methodically and can expedite where required. She is client friendly and very obviously cares about what she does.’
‘Anne-Marie Hughes is well-respected in the field of trusts and pensions and for good reason. Easy to deal with and able to present sometimes complex legal concepts with clarity and purpose.’
Ben Hughes at Keystone Law is 'widely regarded as the pensions expert in the Isle of Man', with expertise in advising on occupational and personal pension schemes in areas such as establishment, maintenance, restructuring and insolvency. He has been advising on both domestic and international pension schemes.
‘Keystone has an innovative way of operating a legal practice and, locally, has attracted some first class individuals from some of the more traditional legal practices.’
‘Ben Hughes is used extensively for pensions advice. Widely regarded as THE pensions expert in the Isle of Man, he provides practical advice in a very responsive manner and is always approachable.’
‘Detailed and practical knowledge of Isle of Man pensions legislation, trusteeship and employee benefits. Ben Hughes is an acknowledged expert in this field and is readily available for support and advice. Professional experience. In-depth knowledge.’
Boal & Co
Abbey National Jersey Pension Scheme
Bank of Ireland / LawDeb Pension Trustees
Isle of Man Post Office
Abbey National International Pension Scheme
- Acting as Isle of Man legal counsel to the trustees of the Scheme on all aspects of IoM regulatory, tax and pension matters.
- Adviser to the Isle of Man Post Office in respect of various amendments to the Isle of Man Post Office Superannuation Scheme 1999.
- Acting asIsle of Man legal adviser to LawDeb in its capacity as trustee of the BOI (IOM) Pension Scheme most recently advising in respect of an insured buy-in in respect of the IoM Scheme’s liabilities.
Simcocks' David Spencer, is highly experienced in marine and other insurance structures, with strong expertise in transfers and amalgamations. Also leading the team is Phil Games, who regularly advises on pension schemes as part of a broader non-contentious Chancery practice.